Adding value from day one

Effective software development & expertise for your products and teams.

Our team has more than 8 years of experience providing software services around Ruby and Rails. A value-driven approach and empathetic perspective help us turn our clients into long-term partners.

Montevideo, Uruguay

SF StartUp (Cannot disclose) - Amgen - ID.me - CareerBuilder - Predictable Revenue Inc.

Ruby on Rails Augmentation for Hospitality Platform

“When it comes to project management, they’re very adept. They do their due diligence.”

May 2018 - Ongoing

Cedarcode’s team of Ruby on Rails and open-sourcing experts augment an app’s staff. Working remotely, they reassess each assigned task, ensuring efficiency, preventing obstacles, and delivering on time.

Zack Chandler
Co-Founder & Head of Engineering, Urbandoor

Cedarcode has become a trusted partner, offering a lot of value to the collaboration by reliably providing high-quality work on time. Their experience has been useful in managing operations and preventing unnecessary work. They continue to grow their expertise and staff and are highly recommended.

I’m the co-founder and head of engineering at Urbandoor, an online marketplace connecting business travelers like long term consultants, relocations, and interns with hospitality partners in service departments.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cedarcode?

Our business is a Ruby on Rails application, and we were looking to grow our team rapidly. However, it’s difficult to hire experts in this area, so we began looking at staff augmentation options.

They’re working on our app primarily using Ruby on Rails and contribute to open sourcing. Although they work remotely, they’ve become a fully integrated part of our team, participating in weekly stand-up meetings and visiting our office several times per year.

Originally, we had two people working with us from their team, but the goal was always to expand our team and collaborations. A few months later, we added a third teammate and recently added a fourth.

How did you come to work with Cedarcode?

They reached out to me after I posted about a remote opportunity on a job board. I wasn’t sure that we wanted to work with a consulting agency, because we were still planning to hire full-time employees.

However, Sebastian and I emailed back and forth a few times and met once while he was in town. He communicated clearly, was well-spoken, was knowledgeable, and clearly had deep-industry experience. He laid out exactly what their skill set was and what they could provide, so I knew I wanted to pursue this partnership.

Our average invoice is about $30,000, so we’ve spent about $500,000 so far.

We started working together in May 2018, and the project is ongoing.

I’m very glad we decided to work with them because the engagement has worked out well. They’re experienced and work at a senior level—I know that if I give them work, we’re going to receive high-quality deliverables on our schedule. They’ve provided a lot of value for our company.

How did Cedarcode perform from a project management standpoint?

When it comes to project management, they’re very adept. They do their due diligence. Saving a lot of work before moving ahead, they re-scope every project once we give it to them, breaking down each task, determining how long it will take, how it should be organized, and what possible challenges could arise.

They’re great engineers, but they’re also passionate about what they do. They continue to invest in their careers and grow their skills by attending various conferences.

We would have liked to hire more of them earlier on. At the beginning of our project, we quickly reached the capacity of what we could ask them to do. But as their team expanded, we were able to ask more from them.

Trust them enough to bring them into your company and help them understand your business. One of the things we could have improved on as a buyer, in the beginning, was folding them into our team. We didn’t realize that by excluding them from company-wide meetings, they were missing a lot of context. Once they started attending those meetings, they began operating at a whole new level.

Overall Score They’re great partners, and they’ve brought a lot of value to our business. Without qualifications, I’d recommend them to anyone.
    They’re very thoughtful and keep track of schedules and milestones.
    Considering their seniority and how much they feel like an extension of our team, they have to be a five.
    I’ve been continuously impressed by the quality of their deliverables. They provide a great value for us.
    Without question, I’d sing their praises.

Application Support & Development for Large Biotech Company

“I've worked with other offshore companies, but the quality Cedarcode offers is superior.”

Sept. 2015 - Ongoing

Cedarcode maintains a suite of applications for a biotech company. They continuously make upgrades and enhancements for the front- and backends of platforms built in Ruby on Rails.

Thousand Oaks, California
Noel Gomez
Senior Manager, Amgen

Cedarcode continues to do great, becoming SMEs in the face of stakeholder changes. They act as subject matter experts and teach internal members about the platform they support. They are independent, mature, and deliver consistently.

I'm a senior manager in our commercial organization supporting sales and marketing.  I was the internal product manager for the applications Cedarcode supports and sourced vendors to support the application.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cedarcode?

We had an application that another provider developed. That provider didn't want to support the application on a long term basis, so we needed another company to help us maintain it.

Cedarcode supports a couple of applications and addresses any issues and performance enhancements as needed. They also perform upgrades to the application stack and dependent libraries. Over time, they have made the application more efficient. The applications revolve around workflows and the internal global process for supplier onboarding. The applications enable workflows for processes that need approval and they perform validations so data is collected "right the first time". Cedarcode's work is on both the frontend and backend of Ruby on Rails applications. We recently upgraded the applications to a newer version or Rails. The applications are 6 years old.

We work with two or three developers from their team, led by one main lead for communication.

How did you come to work with Cedarcode?

I did an online search for Ruby on Rails developers. I interviewed them and felt they were mature. They had good processes in place and understood our requirements. We gave them a chance, and they've worked out very well. They understood our entire application stack and know how to manage our servers.

I moved to another area of our company, so I'm no longer involved in the project. That said, I'd estimate we spend somewhere near $90,000-$100,000 a year.

We started working together in September 2015, and the collaboration is ongoing.

People are satisfied with them, and they're the subject matter experts on these applications. They have more institutional knowledge than some of our internal team, and they've educated new people about the platforms. We've had no complaints, and they've proven themselves.

A few years ago, we had some internal changes to our databases and a dependent system was upgraded to a new version of MS SQL Server. The team was only made aware when the process broke.  It was a difficult problem to troubleshoot, but working with Cedarcode, they were able to identify the solution and quickly make changes that brought the systems back online. Within a short period of time, we solved the problems. We couldn't have done that without their help.

How did Cedarcode perform from a project management standpoint?

They are good project managers. We use Basecamp, and they follow the processes we established years ago. They make sure that all our new team members maintain consistency, and everything runs smoothly.

They're very independent and we never have to hold their hands. They ask the right questions and move forward. We appreciate their maturity, and they make things easy for us.

I can only judge them for the work they've done for us. They could potentially improve their support capabilities on the server-side. There are certainly opportunities if they took control of the entire infrastructure and moved into DevOps.

They're a really good value for the money. I've worked with other offshore companies, but the quality Cedarcode offers is superior. The time zone overlap is great, and there is so much to be gained from working with them.

Staff Augmentation for Digital Identity Network

“Cedardcode wanted to go above and beyond, proactively seeking our feedback.”

Jul. 2015 - Sept. 2017

Cedarcode provided staff augmentation for a digital identity network. Their team was responsible for Ruby on Rails development as well as working with HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

McLean, Virginia
Tony Huynh
Former VP Engineering, ID.me

Sprint completion percentages have gone up. Cedarcode’s ability to adapt to changing situations and willingness to proactively seek feedback led to expanding responsibilities for their team. Their team continuously improves, facilitating a successful longterm relationship.

I was the VP of engineering at ID.me.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cedarcode?

We had multiple high-level priorities that were understaffed on the engineering side, so we needed to bring someone on for staff augmentation.

Cedarcode was brought on to augment our staff and increase our output as a team. They were very closely integrated and involved in all of our sprint planning and daily stand-ups. Our engineering team is split into multiple different product priorities. We had an identity verification side of things and a consumer-facing shopping platform, and they helped us on the consumer-facing side of things.

Throughout the engagement, we expanded the scope of their involvement. Cedarcode was eventually brought onto multiple different teams. Their team works remotely and comes into our office once or twice a year. Cedarcode works with our entire tech stack. For our project, they use Ruby on Rails, HTML, CSS, and Javascript.

We work with one senior engineer and one product manager from Cedarcode.

How did you come to work with Cedarcode?

One of our team members met Cedarcode at a conference and followed up with them. We spoke with other companies who have used their services before and they gave us great references. After evaluating their expertise with our tech stack and their contributions to open source, we decided to bring Cedarcode on board.

We spend about $5,000-$8,000 a month.

Our engagement with Cedarcode began in July 2015. While I left the company in September 2017, I know they continued to work with the at least into 2018.

Our sprint completion percentages have gone up. Cedarcode was great to work with. Their team is well organized and their communication was outstanding. It was a pleasure to work with them and was once of the best experiences I’ve had with an external development team.

How did Cedarcode perform from a project management standpoint?

We managed the workflow using Jira, GitHub, and Slack to make the remote environment work. Our teams also used Google Hangouts. Our project manager regularly checked in to see how we could improve our relationship over time.

Cedardcode wanted to go above and beyond, proactively seeking our feedback. They know what they’re doing but they want to improve and become a better asset to our team. That’s why our relationship grew. We kept renewing their contract every six months and growing their level of responsibility. The team is adaptable to changes. Our overall team structure changed a couple of times along the way, but Cedarcode always adapted to new team members very well.

Don’t just look at them as a staff augmentation resource, find a way to integrate them with your team. That’s where Cedarcode really shone and became an asset to us.

Migration Services & Ruby Consulting for Business App

“The two or three years I worked with them were probably the best in my career.”

2014 - 2017

Cedarcode provided staff augmentation and guidance through a transition from .NET to Ruby on Rails and GitHub. They held workshops and built tools that focused on authentication, templates, and other needs.

1,000 - 10,000 Employees

Zachary Welch
Former Architect, CareerBuilder

The change from a monolithic .NET offering to an array of microservices was possible with Cedarcode’s help. In all, their efforts saved about a year’s worth of work. Their communication was strong, and they integrated comfortably with the internal team. They were capable leaders and steady partners.

When I worked with Cedarcode, I was a designer and developer at CareerBuilder. I was in charge of architecture, specifically related to Ruby on Rails. I also led our UX team.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cedarcode?

We reached out to them while most of our engineers transferred from .NET and Microsoft technologies to open source and Ruby on Rails. We needed help in GitHub and ways to build hyper services in Rails.

They provided some staff augmentation, but they also helped coach us through some big projects. They did a lot of workshops and sessions with our team, and they imbedded with us to process requests, designer views, and architecture. They were very influential in some big architecture decisions.

Our team built tools and libraries to increase the productivity of other engineers. We focused on shared libraries involving authentication, templates, generators, or anything else that might get plugged into a project. The main product we focused on was a line of business application that helped with our invoicing, billing, and product management.

One contact worked with our accounts receivable team on invoicing and billing. The other worked on our general-purpose line of business team to build our principal application. He guided that team and acted as a lead.

How did you come to work with Cedarcode?

We were a sponsor at a conference, and we posted on the job board that we had openings. They attend the conference every year, saw our posting, and reached out to us. We met for about an hour, then we interviewed and hired them about a month later.

There was a budget, but I wasn't privy to the exact numbers. This was a very large project, and about a quarter of our IT team worked on it.

I believe the collaboration started at the end of 2014 or the beginning of 2015. I left the company in 2017, but the contract was ongoing when I left.

We were early adopters of microservices. Before they joined, we had a monolithic offering in .NET. As a company, we didn't have a lot of knowledge in the field, but they were instrumental in helping us make decisions around authentication, when to create a service, and what our templates should look like. Our team could spin out a microservice in less than 20 seconds. They probably saved us over a year of effort.

How did Cedarcode perform from a project management standpoint?

They're probably the best vendor I've ever worked with. They set us up with a wiki with guidelines for our teams, and they taught us all how to work in GitHub. They also held multiple workshops to get everyone up to speed. Their communication was phenomenal, and they would always adjust their schedules to be present whenever our inhouse team was working. They speak better English than half our internal staff.

The two or three years I worked with them were probably the best in my career. I know what these relationships are usually like, but they always felt like partners. They focused on quality, made connections with their teams, and had great communication skills. Everyone I worked with had high attention to detail and a senior level of expertise.

We had a large, varied department, and each team had five or six engineers. They were small when we started working together, and they grew with the relationship. By the time I left, there wasn't anything I thought they should improve.

If your organization is predominantly Rails, I think they'd be a good fit for you. They also have some expertise in Elixir and JavaScript.

Overall Score I still keep in touch with them.
    We never had issues with meeting deadlines.
    At the time, their pricing was very competitive.
    Their quality and attention to detail are their greatest strengths.
    I refer them to every company I've worked with since.