Portland Web Development

Cascade web development creates intuitive, custom software that grows with your business. Our industry leading platforms allow you to easily manage your online presence and internal processes with high flexibility and modular functionality.

Evergreen CMS - content and data management

Whitepass - intranet/extranet

In addition, cascade specializes in SEO, creative strategy, digital marketing, design and project management services. Whether it’s creating the ultimate online experience, enhancing your reputation or engaging consumers, we understand one thing clearly:

Generating business results is our #1 priority.

2001
Portland, OR
  • Cascade Web Development
    2100 SE Water Ave.
    Portland, OR 97214
    503.517.2700

Web Dev & Redesign for Non-Profit

"Cascade is really invested in their clients, which is something I appreciate."

2012 - June 2017

Cascade Web Development took an outdated site and redeveloped it on an Evergreen Platform. The site included improved outward presence and easier backend management functionality.

Portland, Oregon
COO, Non-Profit

The feedback has been positive and Cascade Web Development remained accessible throughout the engagement. Being in close proximity allowed for in-person meetings and solid communication.

I am the COO and General Counsel of a non-profit organization.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cascade Web Development?

We had an outdated website which needed to be redeveloped.

Cascade completed the original build of our site a few years ago, and did a pretty deep redevelopment for us this time. Our website is on an Evergreen platform. We wanted these changes to be more outward facing, and for the website to be a lot easier for us to edit from our side.

We had two to three employees from Cascade working on the redevelopment.

How did you come to work with Cascade Web Development?

I had a relationship with Cascade Web Development’s owner, Ben McKinley, prior to the project.

We have invested about $25,000.

We originally started working together in 2012, and this project was completed in June 2017.

We have had really positive feedback regarding the redevelopment of the website.

How did Cascade Web Development perform from a project management standpoint?

It was good. We communicated through email, phone, and we had in-person meetings as well.

Cascade is really invested in their clients, which is something I appreciate. They were close and accessible, and they understood who we were as a client.

Some of their initial visioning processes, for someone that doesn’t do it all the time, was a bit of challenge. I personally didn’t really know fully what they were doing, but other than that it was fine.

They were on time with their deliverable.
    They weren’t the least expensive, nor the most expensive.
    Cascade did well, and the project finished on time and within budget.

Original Web Dev & Mobile Friendly Update for Non-Profit

"They're not just a business doing something, they care about what we're trying to accomplish."

Sept. 2013 - Ongoing

Cascade built a website using their own proprietary platform. They are now updating the site to be mobile-ready and more consumer centric, including added capacity for video and ability to upload CSV files.

Portland, Oregon
Erik Cathcart
Director of Marketing & Strategy, Earth Advantage

Cascade built a sense of trust that allowed for a multi-project engagement. They show genuine compassion and provides face-to-face contact. The updated site received positive internal feedback and excellent speed results from Google.

I am the Director of Marketing & Strategy at Earth Advantage. We are a nonprofit focused on green building certification, education and research.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cascade Web Development?

We originally hired them, years ago, for the first generation of our website. The current iteration was to update the website to mobile-ready and consumer focused.

We started with a couple of brainstorming sessions where we discussed my organizational goals for the updates to the website. Cascade Web Development gave me a lot of great feedback in terms of industry standards, options, and available approaches. From there, we created a timeline, scope of work that matched my budget.

The site itself was built on Cascade’s own proprietary platform. We had a Drupal site originally, but they built this site using their backend from the ground up, with my design specifications and site map. I now manage the site content.

The biggest change in the current development is making the website mobile responsive. Cascade added a capacity for video, the ability to upload CSV files, and easier navigation functions in the training section.

I started off working with their project manager and lead developer. Throughout the process, the project manager is my point of contact with us sharing a project management platform where we can exchange ideas, updates, and bug fixes.

How did you come to work with Cascade Web Development?

I met Ben McKinley at a function and we chatted. Afterward, I spoke with some past clients and other businesses that highly recommended Cascade. In the end, I felt comfortable with the team at Cascade and their interest in our non-profit mission.

To date, it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $50,000 for the two iterations.

We started working together around September or October of 2013 and the relationship is ongoing.

The new website won’t officially launch until October, but I can tell you our internal responses are very positive. The people that I worked with from Earth Advantage for the site, that helped me to figure out the content and review it, have seen the draft version and are really excited about it. The speed results from Google on the test site are also excellent.

How did Cascade Web Development perform from a project management standpoint?

I think they're excellent people to work with. They're very attentive and have great suggestions but they're also very hands off. If I push back and say, “look this is the way it's got to be”, Cascade is very respectful of that. That's the reason I went back to them for a second time to do the updates for the website because I'm very comfortable working with them and I trust them. They're very accommodating on a number of different levels.

In terms of communication, early on in the project I usually go and meet with them in person. Cascade will either come to my office or I go to theirs. We had a couple of those sessions this time around. The rest of the follow ups are conference calls followed by a final in-person training to our staff.

In the initial stages when I was interviewing organizations, Cascade paid attention, on a very personal level, to what I needed. They were willing to meet with me, listen to me and have a conversation about what it is I wanted to do in earnest. This wasn't the case with the other people that I interviewed. I want to be able to sit down and see who I'm working with and build a relationship with them. For a lot of the firms that I talked to, that seemed odd to them and that made me wary of working with them.

Another important thing is that Cascade is very committed to our mission, one with an environmental impact focus, it's actually meaningful to them as a business. They have always worked with my budget constraints to find the right balance between my needs and their capacity. They're not just a business doing something, they care about what we're trying to accomplish.

I can't think of anything that stands out. Everyone can improve and I’ve seen them make changes when needed to how I need to communicate or with my timeline.

Overall Score Again, it's never perfect but it's been a positive experience, which is why I ended up choosing them a second time around. I really like the people there and I have had a very enjoyable and supportive experience working with them.
    They haven’t missed anything I have asked for.
    They've worked with us understanding the restrictions of the nonprofit budget and they've been very fair in terms that.
    I'd say nobody is a 5, that's perfection and obviously it is not attainable. However, under the constraints of the project, the costs and my restrictions, they do an excellent job.
    I refer them frequently.