Websites Created with Care... And it Shows

Cantilever is a small web design and development shop with big talent. Our work emphasizes clarity, usability, and invention. We try to become an extension and partner of the client, creating a product better than either of us could have envisioned at the outset.

Our philosophy is "Digital Hospitality": the idea that sites should be welcoming, empathetic, and effective for guests. We are a team of 5 founded in 2011 and are based in northern New Jersey with clients in NYC and around the world.

Fair Lawn, NJ
  • 18 Randolph Terrace
    Fair Lawn, NJ 07410

• Watson Advertising (Formerly The Weather Company)
  • Esquire Magazine
  • Flatiron School
  • Northeastern University
  • NYU
  • American Bible Society
  • Droga5

Web Dev for Graphic Design Company

“They're very organized and easy to work with. … They exceeded our expectations.”

July - Oct. 2018

Working alongside an in-house design team, Cantilever developed a mobile responsive website for a third-party client. They added scroll effects and a video to bring the annual report to life.

Kinderhook, New York
Julie Fels
Partner, Feisty Brown

The client is happy with the website and wants to continue the relationship with Cantilever. They went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their personable approach and ability to communicate technical terms in a non-technical way make them stand out among competitors.

I'm a partner at Feisty Brown. We're a design firm that specializes in corporate communication.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

We needed a development partner to build a website for a large client.

Cantilever handled all the coding, while our internal team did the design. They attended our meetings to understand the requirements and worked directly with the client to make sure the code worked on the client's server. Working side by side with our design team, Cantilever made recommendations to ensure that our designs could be translated into HTML.

The website has scroll effects and a video with a text overlay on the home page. It's an annual report for the client and Cantilever has brought the report to life, making the site mobile responsive and easy to navigate.

We worked directly with Ty (President, Cantilever), who had a team underneath him.

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

We've worked with them for years in different capacities and liked their work.

The project started in July and it was completed in October 2018.

The client has done their annual report with Cantilever for a number of years and the feedback has been very positive. The year we didn't work with Cantilever, we had some problems with a different development partner, so we switched back to Cantilever.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very organized and easy to work with. They're also very responsive and stayed on track with the project, always letting us know about potential delays. We mostly used phone and video conferences to stay in touch.

Their ability to communicate in an amicable and understandable way makes them stand out among other developers. They're able to translate what they do into the language that we understand.

Keep an open line of communication to make sure you give them what they need.

They exceeded our expectations.

Web Dev & Design for Student Travel Site

"They did a great job of optimizing site performance and making sure it's a smooth user experience."

Nov. 2017 - Aug. 2018

Cantilever redesigned and iterated a website to boost overall functionality and design, with the primary new features being improved search and responsive design.

Willoughby Hills, OH
Ryan Gibbons
VP Business Operations, Rustic Pathways

Internal and external feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Cantilever's team inspired confidence throughout the project by communicating clearly from the start. Their expertise, flexibility, and client-focused approach justify the investment and made them a valuable partner.

Rustic Pathways is a student travel company that offers travel for 11,000 students every year to over 20 countries. I’m VP of Business Operations where I oversee marketing, customer service, and technology.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

We’ve been working with Cantilever for nearly 5 years now. In our latest project, we worked with them to streamline the buyer’s journey across multiple complex product types and combine multiple CMS’s from previous external and internal development teams. We also wanted to bring our web design presence in line with our print and catalog materials and improve our brand image online.

Cantilever was tasked with re-imagining our entire online presence. They created a new unified online brand for Rustic Pathways from the ground up that coordinated with our other materials, and they rewrote the entire backend to make the content management and user experience processes smarter and more efficient. We provided them with design inspiration — including external sites that we thought did a good job of communication similar products and experiences, as well as all of our own design materials. They did the frontend design, wireframes, and comps for the actual web experience and all of the backend coding.

Cantilever created high-level technical features in terms of searching, sorting, and filtering our programs. They gave us a more unified. They also ensured that the site was designed and tested from a mobile-first and responsive perspective.

At Cantilever we’ve worked directly with the Senior Leadership on the team in addition to UX and graphic designers, front-end coders, back-end coders, and networking and server professionals.  We have a dedicated Account Manager, and our support team has consisted of 4-5 individuals on a consistent basis over the last several years.

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

They were recommended to us by another web developer. That developer didn’t have time to take on our large project but suggested we look at Cantilever. I had the opportunity to meet with them in person in New York City and immediately realized that they were they type of company that we wanted to work with.

The most recent project was around $85,000. I don't have the total for all five years.

They initially did our website in 2014, and a site for a different product division in 2016. The comprehensive analysis and redesign took place from November 2017–August 2018.

We've gotten great feedback in regards to both the visual aesthetic and use of imagery on the site. Cantilever took the images that we provided them and made them really stand out on the site. They created a full-screen image gallery that allows our photos to shine. We've also gotten good feedback on the navigation that they designed. They did a great job of optimizing site performance and making sure it's a smooth user experience.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is very organized. It's been great to work with them. Internally, we have limited time and resources, but Cantilever has taken the time to get to know us and our brand. They help keep us on track and push our projects forward. We had a high level of confidence in working with them because of their organization and understanding of our brand. Most of our communication is through email. Though, we’ve met with them several times in person, and also participate in video check-in calls at least on a monthly basis. When we’re working with them on larger projects we frequently have a weekly call. They're very flexible on communication platforms.

It’s great that they’re a one-stop shop. Their team has a diverse set of skills from UX and graphic design, to back-end coding, to analytics optimization. The individuals responsible for our account have always had a diverse skill set and deep understanding of our brand. Oftentimes, they’ll put in placeholder copy for a new feature or section of our website that needs little to no modification. Because they know our brand so well, we have a high level of trust in their suggestions and the work that they produce. They have invested time with us to develop a long-term relationship. And they have worked with us over the years to make sure that each of our projects has a positive outcome for our business.

Take the time to meet with them, either virtually or in person. Tell them everything you can about your brand and company. The more that you bring to the table, the better they'll be able to help you.

Web Design & Dev for Corporate Communications Site

"Cantilever's team is very agile, easy to work with, and super smart."

June 2013 - Aug. 2014

Cantilever designed, built, and implemented a mobile responsive WordPress platform for internal HR processes and idea sharing. The site adheres to brand guidelines and lets users upload and comment on photos.

Brooklyn, New York
Theo Fels
Partner, Theo and Sebastian

Cantilever's organized planning, responsiveness, and development skill yielded a well-received deliverable. The team's full knowledge base helped them guide the scope from an informed perspective. An ongoing partnership has continued to build off this engagement’s notable success.

Our company was called Theo and Sebastian when we worked with Cantilever. As branding and corporate communications specialists, we helped Fortune 500 and Fortune 50 companies find better ways to communicate internally.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

Our high-profile financial institution client wanted to create an in-house online social media site. Functionally, it facilitates idea exchange between employees and management. The entire system aims to showcase a basic overview of the current state of HR affairs.

Our partnership started off with a focus on visual design. Cantilever was an active participant in all our project meetings. We developed the wireframes and documentation in tandem. I was the art director for this project. They produced initial sketches and ideas, then built out the platform in accordance with our sitemap and design parameters.

The team's developers coded a WordPress site that empowers in-house staff to exchange ideas and promote events internally. Interactive features give users the option to upload photos and leave comments on each other's posts. Executive leadership can use the platform to promote and disseminate new ideas. Focused on idea sharing, the site gives any employee the means to interface virtually with upper-level management.

Cantilever also converted the site's entire technology code base into a corporate event platform. That facet of the platform had slightly more specific features for scheduling and uploading pictures. This iteration was comparable to major social media platforms but also customized for the client company's internal use.

We usually worked with three people from their team. I exclusively interfaced with Ty (Founder, Cantilever).

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

My business partner knew their founder previously. We've known each other for 7-8 years now. They're our go-to team for any new development project we start. We do much design in-house, but they're capable of supporting those efforts in addition to development, as they did in this particular case.

Our partnership lasted from June 2013–August 2014.

The entire experience was outstanding. Cantilever built a flexible, responsive platform that makes it easy for employees to interface with C-Suite executives virtually. Back in 2013, the tile structure they used was an exciting new feature on WordPress. Once we showed our client the finished Web site, they were delighted.

This project established a healthy working relationship between our studio, Cantilever, and this particular client, which has consistently grown as we've continued to work together into the present time. We've even maintained this partnership since our client from this project moved to an entirely new company.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

I'd give them full marks from this point of view. Regarding communication tools, we often use screen sharing.

Unlike many development companies, this team is part of the real world. Cantilever understands the nature of specific client relationships and precisely what it takes to deliver a project. They're excellent at preparing for and reacting to the changes that come along. Rather than the central aspect of the project, they see the coding work as just one facet. Of course, they're also great at design work.

I'd suggest future clients take advantage of Cantilever's knowledge base. Listen to the great ideas they propose. Since they're very well-managed, being organized too will make for a good relationship.

Django Web Dev for Creative Agency

"Their performance reassured me as a newer business owner."

2.0

Oct. - Dec. 2012

Cantilever used pre-existing design mock-ups to build a website in Django. They hosted it on WebFaction. In a related project, they developed another site as a third-party vendor.

Edward O'Dell
Founder, EPO Creative

The site’s professional quality generated positive feedback. Development occurred in an interactive and responsive process. They anticipated needs to deliver accurate solutions. Although Cantilever produced quality results, some services could’ve been less expensive.

I own EPO Creative, which provides branding services to the financial services, industrial, and manufacturing sectors.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

I needed a website that effectively communicated my company’s mission. Visitors needed to understand my vision from the very beginning, without having to sort through a lot of content.

I hired them after I completed some initial UX and UI designs; I provided those mock-ups to Cantilever. Ty, the president, and I collaborated to outline goals and formulate the project plan; we also worked with another resource that has since moved on. They built the site in Django and hosted it on WebFaction. We didn’t use WordPress because open-source platforms are always changing and updating. Cantilever wanted to work in a more true developer space.

In addition to my website, we also built a website for one of my clients together.

I worked with Ty and the other associate.

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

I wanted a smaller vendor that was appropriate for my company’s size. A colleague at the organization Noble Desktop referred them.

I spent between $30,000–$40,000.

I worked with them between October–December 2012.

The site was functional and looked professional. They did it so well that I’ve never worried about sending my clients to it. While the site may not be current in some fashions, it works well for what it is. Their performance reassured me as a newer business owner.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

The kickoff meetings were great; the team was interactive and collaborative. They excelled at time management and overall organization. We met in-person during the earlier stages. They were extremely adaptable and flexible. Through the project, they were open to implementing new or alternative solutions. We used email as appropriate but mainly communicated via WebEx and screen shares.

I was looking to go beyond what I could do myself; I work in the creative space as well so it is easy to try and take control. That is what I would say distinguishes Cantilever. I have worked with a number of developers and I usually get what I ask for, but only after asking a few times. They are the only ones who thought beyond my ideas and solved problems before I could.

Furthermore, I appreciated Ty’s responsiveness and ability to answer my questions, especially when the site crashed. I would use them more if I had the latitude or client budget to do so.

Some services could be less expensive as a third-party vendor. Their prices weren’t always beneficial to my margins. While I respected their pricing structures and wouldn’t criticize it, the total costs dissuaded me from engaging them in additional end-client projects.

No. They can handle anything from development to design.

I wish they had more flexible pricing.
    I’m willing to refer them.

Web Dev & Design for Connector Manufacturer

“They’re smart, professional, and responsive. The team is creative and I like the work they do.”

Jan. 2011 - Sept. 2011

Cantilever replaced an antiquated site for a connector manufacturer. They built a new site from scratch, with improved UI and detailed product search options. They continue to provide site maintenance.

Brooklyn, New York
Dave Offerman
President, IEH Corporation

The initial build was completed within nine months. Users are pleased with the UI/UX and find it easy to work with and aesthetically appealing. Cantilever performed well at every stage of the engagement.

IEH is a connector manufacturer. We make printed circuit board connectors and interconnect devices primarily for military and commercial aerospace applications. I’m the president and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

We had an old website from the 90s that was very basic and antiquated. It didn’t have all the information we wanted and was a poor customer interface. We wanted a team to rebuild it.

We hired them about seven years ago. They completely redid the whole website from scratch. I provided them with graphic images of our products, but they did all the software and technical aspects of the site. They made it aesthetically pleasing and user friendly. They also created a search function that allows users to filter by attributes to give them the product that best suits their needs.

Since we finished the build, they have helped with a lot of maintenance. We’ve made both major and minor changes and we continue to work with them.

We’ve worked with two or three people over the years. It’s a small group, so I’ve communicated with everyone. Ty (President, Cantilever) runs things. He’s always been very involved and either completes tasks himself or has team members help him. I’m in communication with all of them whenever something needs to be done.

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

I wanted to work with somebody local who could come to us, see our production facility, and get a good feel for who we are and what we do. At the time, Ty was in Brooklyn, only about a 10-minute drive from us. We interviewed three or four companies, but they gave the best impression. They did a great job.

We spent between $10,000–$20,000 for the initial work on the website.

We started working together around January 2011. The initial build took about nine months before we launched the new site in September 2011. They still provide maintenance and site support.

Customers say it’s very easy to use and find what they’re looking for. It’s aesthetically pleasing, user-friendly, and accurately presents what we do.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. We occasionally had web conference calls, and a handful of times we walked through different pages together. Now that they do mostly maintenance, we mostly use phone and email. We had a face-to-face meeting at the end of last year to catch up.

They’re smart, professional, and responsive. The team is creative and I like the work they do. We’re happy to work with them.

We’ve had no major issues. There were rare instances when I had to chase them to do little things.

Web Dev & Design for Religious Arts Non-Profit

"Cantilever cared about our mission and helped us to achieve our goals."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Cantilever provided website design and development work for a nonprofit focused on community engagement, as well as helped to finesse their brand identity and messaging.

Jonathon Roberts
Founder, Spark+Echo Arts

Through a straightforward and thoughtful approach to collaborative work, Cantilever managed to create a website that crystallized the brand’s philosophy. An understanding and patient environment was a hallmark of their work, and ensured their continued engagement in the future.

I am the founder and executive director of Spark+Echo Arts, which commissions artists to create works for every verse of the Bible. We showcase the art on our website and at live events.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

We needed to create a new, mobile-friendly website that was more focused on our audience and on finding ways to better engage the community.

They built both the frontend and backend of the new website from scratch using Craft. Although they were familiar with our old site and all of the content we already had available, we did not provide them with wireframes or anything like that. Cantilever was instrumental in finessing our branding and messaging, effectively overhauling everything. They ended up becoming consultants to our organization as a whole within the duration of this project, particularly their founder. They did a lot of problem solving on how to better engage our audience and helped to identify what parts of our mission need improvement, as well as provided advice on how to enact those fixes.

When our work with them began, we specifically emphasized the need for better community engagement on this new site. They not only came up with simple ways to achieve that, but also established what was essentially a whole philosophy built off of our name. Cantilever tied the ideology of our organization into the design of the site, which we found extremely impressive.

There were about six people on the team as a whole, including a project lead, a developer, a designer, and a finance manager.

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

This project and our old website were originally inherited from another organization. Back at the foundation of this project, we were on a team alongside Cantilever to craft that larger app. When this project became separate, we asked that they continue working with us.

We have spent $25,000.

We officially engaged them around October of 2017. Although technically the main website project is complete, we intend to hire them again in the near future for general maintenance, as well as for further branding and identity work. Once we can raise the necessary capital, we would also like to engage Cantilever for a second version of the site.

Everybody has been really excited about the new website. It has made not only the artwork, but also the project as a whole shine. People are better able to understand what we do and why we are doing it, all thanks to Cantilever’s work.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very easy to work with, due to their willingness to walk us through every step. We met with their project leader personally on a regular basis, and they were always just a call, text, or email away. We also used Basecamp for our communications. Sometimes there were delays on our end—such as not getting all of our content moved over by a set deadline—but they were always very professional about such things. Overall, they worked fast and were consistently both clear and patient with us.

They treated our collaboration as more than a simple website project. I cannot imagine a more dedicated team of people, and they became truly integrated with our organization. Cantilever cared about our mission and helped us to achieve our goals. Additionally, nobody ever talked down to us. Their team is very technically savvy, but I am not. During our work together, I always felt that I was being cared for and that I understood what they were saying.

I cannot think of anything; I am a big fan.

Do not be afraid. I was always afraid of asking for too much or asking a dumb question. As we worked with Cantilever, those fears disappeared, and I wish that I would have known not to be so reticent right away. You will get honest feedback if you just ask.

Overall Score They exceeded all of our goals.
    We have already recommended them many times.

Web Dev & Design for Online Archive Publication

"If someone I knew needed a web designer, I would not hesitate to recommend them."

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

Cantilever designed a website using WordPress. They continue to provide technical support for the website.

Editor, Online Archive Publication

Not only is the website sleek, modern and highly functional, but the technical support Cantilever provides is applicable to any level of technical literacy, with clear, concise and patient direction. They also exhibit an understanding and affinity towards the brand.

I’m the editor of an online archive publication.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

They were hired at the online archive’s inception to build the website, as we didn't have the technical capabilities in-house.

The publication worked with Bondi Digital Publishing to translate the physical issues into a digital format. Cantilever then created a WordPress website over top of those digital archives. It allows us to make TextEdit versions of the stories so the site isn’t a dormant archive, but instead exists to provide insight into current news. In order to convey the site’s purpose, the archives needed to feel vibrant and modern, despite focusing on older content, so Cantilever structured the site to look elegant and clean, as well as easy to navigate for our readers.

Since finishing the site, Cantilever has remained accessible for any technical questions. I’m not in touch with them every week, but I communicate with them on a frequent basis. We do intend to test a few new things on the site this year, so they’ll be integral to that process.

I’ve worked primarily with Ty Fujimura [Founder, Cantilever].

We began working with in April 2015, and we continue to partner with them for technical guidance.

The site has received nothing but positive feedback from our readers.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re completely transparent. They give us the reality of their capabilities, from a creative and technical standpoint to the finances. They have a very seamless system.

I’ve met Ty for meetings a few times, but mostly, we communicate through email or phone. He’s very patient and chipper when we speak. They’re also super timely and responsive — if something goes wrong on the site on Sunday afternoon, you could get someone to respond if need be.

Often, when you deal with people in IT, they know what they’re talking about, but they have a difficult time translating it for you. I had the opposite experience with Ty and Cantilever. There’s no question that’s too stupid for them to answer in a clear, concise way for someone who isn’t tech savvy. I’ve become so accustomed to their patience that I don’t think twice about asking them as many questions as I need.

They also understand our brand. They have more than just a working knowledge for what we do, but also an interest. That makes things more efficient because it can increase shorthand between us.

No, the work they’ve done for us is well-suited to our needs and taste. If someone I knew needed a web designer, I would not hesitate to recommend them.

App Discovery Process for Non-Profit

"Ty and his team really poured themselves into it."

Sept. - Dec. 2014

Cantilever performed a compehensive discovery process on the mobile app. They provided a detailed report, presenting the business structure, designs, and potential market for the app.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Matt Steinruck
Former Program Manager, American Bible Society

They brought unique perspectives and went beyond what was anticipated of them. They were competent, personally invested in the project, and never missed a deadline. They're up-to-date with market trends, which makes them an exceptional strategic partner.

When I worked with Cantilever, I was a program manager at American Bible Society.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

We wanted a consultant for an app we were developing at the time. We didn't have in-house developers, so we were looking for someone with tech expertise to guide us.

Cantilever provided an extended discovery process for the concept of the app. They helped us work through the first phase and figure out how to push the app ahead to see what we could do with it. They laid out a business structure, how to make it work for our audience and provided advice on how we could monetize it.

They didn't do the actual development work for the app; it was more of a strategic partnership. They gave us a large, well-thought-out document, presenting the next generation interfaces and designs, which helped us strategically outline how the app will fit within the current organizational space (there was a lot transition going on in our organization).

Most of the time, we worked with 2 people.

How did you come to work with them?

I met Ty [President, Cantilever] through networking.

We spent within the range of $10,000–$50,000.

The project happened in September 2014 and finished December of that same year, but we still interact with them.

Everyone on our team appreciated the unique business perspectives that Ty brought. He was, and still is, a valuable part of the process; he helps energize our team.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very competent and always on time, delivering when they said they would. They even over delivered. We had our own team for the project, so there was a lot of interaction between us and them. We primarily used email and phone to communicate.

They were personally invested and connected strongly to the concept. Ty and his team really poured themselves into it. They're well-connected and very aware of the market trends.

Great, no complaints.
    They gave us much more than we were anticipating.
    They performed well and provided something very substantial.
    I would definitely refer them.

Front-end & Back-end Web Dev for Creative Agency

“Everything they’ve built for me has been solid, thought out, and thorough. They’re a reliable partner.”

Jan. - July 2012

Cantilever delivered the wireframe for a new website, with UX and e-commerce integration. Their Linux-based backend supported a standard HTML, CSS, and Javascript frontend.

501 - 1,000 Employees

Justin Durazzo
Co-Director of Interactive, Droga5

Their communicative, organized nature – coupled with a detailed understanding of scope and timelines – led to an extension of Cantilever’s contract. Their structured approach gave them an edge over competitors.

Droga5 is a creative digital advertising agency. I am a Co-Director of Interactive Production.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

I was trying to build a brand new dot-com for a company with an outdated website, and wanted to tie in new UX [user experience] design and e-commerce.

I hired them as my lead technical team on frontend and backend development. They were responsible for UX, while my team skinned our visual design to their wireframe. Their tasks included content strategy, experience design, frontend development, backend architecture, and integrations with the client's existing email and e-commerce platforms.

The frontend was configured in HTML, CSS [Cascading Style Sheets] and Javascript, while the backend was a Linux-based server with a LAMP stack on an AWS [Amazon Web Service] instance that would auto-scale. The skinning we did was static, so Cantilever was responsible for interaction design and animation.

We kept a fairly structured schedule of two or three weeks of UX, visual design, and then iterative development cycles based on client reviews and feedback opportunities. After that pattern, we had two to three weeks of quality assurance testing and then deployed, going live upon client approval.

They had a three-person team. We had regular in-person meetings twice a week, and daily email communication.

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

I worked with Ty [President, Cantilever] at another company, and wanted to work with him again. We typically have a triple-bid process, so we did speak to other potential partners. Cantilever delivered the best bid, based upon the technical and creative plans, budget, timing, and staffing.

We worked together on this project between January and July 2012. We had an initial release at the end of March or April that year.

Our clients were very pleased with their work. When we finished our contract, the client extended their arrangement directly with Cantilever. They still work together.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

I really enjoyed working with Ty. His understanding of the scope of work and project timelines were very detailed. He was communicative and organized.

I typically give them projects with longer timelines. They like to plan advance, so when I need a website built in two weeks, I don’t usually use them.  For long-term website, apps, and product-based builds, they’re a reliable partner.

Everything they’ve built for me has been solid, thought out, and thorough. Their code is clean, and they have an amicable, organized approach. Contract negotiations with them were flexible; they’re particular about their product, and they set themselves a high standard.

Overall Score I think they will continue to improve as they take on more clients and more work.
    They hit every promised milestone, and were communicative about changes. Anytime we added work that would affect timeline, they alerted us ahead of time.
    They were comparable to other vendors when we hired them. They bid higher than some of their competitors, but we chose them for their quality.
    They always deliver on time and within budget. The product always works bug free.
    I have referred them multiple times to different partners.

Web Design for Law School Innovation Laboratory

"… [P]eople love the design, which was even nominated for a Webby."

Jan. - Dec. 2014

Cantilever crafted a digital identity for a university project through website design (including interactive mapping features) and reimagining the project’s logo, which had been mishandled by a previous firm.

5,0001 - 10,000 Employees

Boston, Massachusetts
Dan Jackson
Executive Director, Northeastern University NuLawLab

The award-nominated design has been lauded by both internal and external users and justifies the significant investment. Their deep engagement in understanding project goals and overall business strategy informs their proactive, curious, and creative work, which is always delivered on time.

I'm executive director of the NuLawLab, an interdisciplinary innovation laboratory at Northeastern University School of Law.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cantilever?

We wanted a design team to work alongside a separate development company to create a custom website for attracting collaborators.

They crafted every aspect of the design, doing a beautiful job from start to finish. One particularly notable functionality is the use of interactive maps to convey statistical legal data and case studies. While the backend could be simplified somewhat, in general, they created an interesting, successful aesthetic for what turned out to be a fairly complicated feature.

They also redesigned our logo after another firm had given us a logo already being used by another company.

We worked almost exclusively with Ty [Fuimara, President, Cantilever]. Initially, we also worked with his partner, who’s since moved on, but Ty’s brought in more people now.

How did you come to work with Cantilever?

We did an RFP for potential designers and developers and received between 15–20 applications. We narrowed it down to three finalists through a series of interviews. Cantilever was the only company to put forth actual ideas in their proposal, so we chose them for the design side of the project, with another firm doing the development.

We spent between $150,000–$175,000 for the whole project, but that also includes the cost of the development firm.

We started in January 2014, and the project carried through to the end of the year.

Our site has served our purposes well. Plus, people love the design, which was even nominated for a Webby.

How did Cantilever perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. We communicated primarily through phone and email, but also collaborated through a project management platform they managed.

They helped us discover our identity. They did a remarkably good job of getting to know who we are as an organization and what drives us. We have a bit of a niche audience, but Ty was able to embed himself to understand what we were looking for. That was a great gift that I see as an example of their going above and beyond.

Ty’s a true artist and he brings that into the work, and it shows.

No, nothing I can think of.

Advice for potential customers?

Be ready for a very honest, open, and genuine design/discovery process. It can sometimes be uncomfortable, but that means it's working.

They never missed a deadline.
    They cost more than some competitors, but they’re worth it.
    They're responsive, helpful, and patient.