Web & Mobile App Design - Helping Business Excel

We’re a friendly, highly experienced team of web designers, software developers and IT professionals located in the heart of Canada. Dedicated to helping our clients achieve the outcomes they want, we apply our creative and technical knowledge to deliver the perfect solution. We have the ability to convey complex information in an easy-to-understand way and thrive on resolving complex technical challenges.

Calgary, Canada
  • 115, 1925 18Ave NE
    Calgary, AB T2E 7T8

Midium to Large size Business

Professional Proposal Tool for Painting Company

"They have shown much patience and creativity in keeping the project moving."

June 2019

Calibre Consulting designed, developed, and workshopped a project-proposal writing tool for a painting company.

Calgary, Canada
Scott Remillard
Owner & Operator, Refreshing Painters

Proposal drafting- and signing- times plummeted as a result of the newly developed program. The Calibre Consulting team provided excellent service, demonstrating knowledge, flexibility, and care for their client throughout the project.

I am the owner of a local painting company in Calgary, AB. At this time, I am working on the tools, but I am also the only project estimator and sales person.

For what projects/services did your company hire Calibre Consulting?

I hired calibre to design a program that makes proposal writing faster and more professional. It will also serve as a customer management tool.

The goal was to be able to generate a painting proposal from a laptop or mobile device in less time than it previously took me using Word.

I met the owner of the company through a networking group. I felt that she knew what she was doing and would ensure my satisfaction with the program. The need arose in my busiest months and I wanted to see what she could do.

The owner and I met a couple times to discuss the project and what it needed to look like. They created a program and presented it to me, including some additional ideas that really add to the professionalism of the end result. There were some concerns and they made adjustments. The project has gone live and they quickly respond to any concern that I may discover.

There was a team of 3 working on the project. I primarily communicated with the owner.

My proposals get completed much quicker with the new program. They don't look much different than my old way, but the clients are able to sign and approve the job in a way I hadn't considered. Much easier and more professional.

We have been able to work together quickly on any concern or idea that either of us have had.

My biggest mistake was not hiring this company before my busy season. While they have had quick response times and their knowledge and experience has been evident, my response time and flexibility has not been. They have shown much patience and creativity in keeping the project moving. They have also ensured the the project has kept on budget.

I really enjoyed working with them and don't feel they could have done better in any areas.

Overall Score Exceptional work.
    My schedule stalled the project. They've been right on track.
    They held to the budget, which I felt was extremely fair.
    I love the app and Calibre has been great to work with.
    Without question, I would refer Calibre.

Safety Program Software

"We were on the same page from day one—and it showed."

Mar. 2019 - Ongoing

Calibre Consulting developed a custom web application to support an online safety training platform. The application needed to be accessible from a variety of devices.

Millet, Alberta Canada
President, Safety Training Company

While the product's rollout is in process, it has been well received by internal stakeholders. Calibre Consulting delivered a high-quality product through a collaborative process. Professional and responsible, their team often operates ahead of schedule.

We provide safety programs (documentation, training and consultation) for small businesses that do not require large, intensive systems. I am the President.

For what projects/services did your company hire Calibre Consulting?

We hired Calibre to help us create a custom web application that would support our service and allow us to scale more efficiently.

To create a software program that was simple and user-friendly. There would be multiple user access levels. The application would be a browser access software that would be responsive to several different device types.

We found Calibre through their website. We had met with a few other developers; but Calibre was the most professional and really met our needs for this project.

We provided a wireframe prototype and then worked collaboratively to create the program from scratch. I have been a power user of safety programs for years, but this was a much leaner and intuitive program designed to support our offerings.

The team at Calibre consisted of the project manager and 2 programmers. While one programmer was on holidays for part of the project, we never had any issues staying on schedule and things progressed fine.

We are just in the process of rolling the product out to clients, so do not have data on impact yet.

Kuljeet provided direct project management and worked closely with me. I also was able to work directly with the programmers on features which worked really well.

We found that Calibre was a great match as they are very similar to us: a lean, efficient small business that is looking to benefit from good management and effective use of technical resources. We were on the same page from day one—and it showed.

Not really, we are very happy with our experience up to this point!

Overall Score Very happy to date.
    No issues with scheduling, we have been pretty much right on track.
    Calibre is very reasonable for the professionalism and work provided.
    We are very happy with the project and the deliverables to date.
    Have already recommended them to others.

Software Development for Energy Company

“The team uses a very structured, project-oriented approach.”

June 2018 - Ongoing

Calibre Consulting helped an independent consultant spearhead an Office 360 email migration. They helped set up SharePoint and supported field test data recording systems to enhance internal processes and communications.

Marty Plante
President, Top Level Developments

Calibre Consulting delivered on every requirement that was set out as an expectation from the onset. They demonstrated outstanding communication skills and collaborated seamlessly and synergistically. The principal leadership’s direct involvement is a notable strength for this team.

My current work that involves Calibre Consulting is for an oil services company in Calgary. I'm deeply involved with as an independent consultant. I'm coordinating their business processes from accounting at the high level down into the technology the company uses for daily operations behind the scenes activities. As an outside consultant, I act similarly to a general manager regarding the decisions I either make or influence.

What challenge were you trying to address with Calibre Consulting?

Millennium Energy Services hired me to audit their systems. From there, I arranged to work with Calibre Consulting and I brought them on to support the company.

At the beginning, our needs were very basic. We hired Calibre Consulting to set the company up with Office 365 and SharePoint. The organization wasn't excessively large, but we needed a team with enough background to establish the relatively straightforward process of transferring and exchanging email systems. The partnership grew as I discovered we needed to access a database program for one of their main field test data recording systems.

I don't have a background with that type of work, but the owner of Calibre Consulting had done so quite often in the past. She took on the task of trying to discover what other people had coded for the company over the past 8–10 years because that team was unreachable. From there, the team went on to start adjusting and adapting the program to better fit our current day-to-day operations with the intent of rolling it over into a different SQL database in the future.

The database work entailed a lot of VB8/A coding that's a bit beyond my skill level to explain. The owner deciphered most of what the past tech team had done and make the necessary adaptions. They also worked on coding other apps. The Team set up SharePoint sites and Exchange e-mail specifically into the Access database program.

I worked directly with the owner of Calibre Consulting.

How did you come to work with Calibre Consulting?

We work in the same executive office center, which tends to house 1–4 companies in a shared office space. I've worked here since 2011 and have come in contact with the same accounting and IT firms over that time. Calibre Consulting is the most recent team I met. Based on our conversations, they were a good fit for this engagement.

Being located in the same office space was an important factor since it's easy to have discussions with someone right nearby. We built a level of mutual trust and have found an effective way to work well together. I only contacted other companies that specialize in SharePoint sites to assess the available options and price points for various scopes. Even without 20 years of SharePoint experience under their belt, they've accomplished everything I've needed so far.

We've spent somewhere between $5,000–$10,000 CAD (Approximately $3,800–$7,500 USD).

We started the first step of this project in mid-June of 2018. Some of the work is still ongoing. We're in a bit of a maintenance pattern right now and haven't considered developing anything new, but we have current work underway that will continue at a moderate pace for at least the next three months before we move into the next phase.

At this time, Calibre Consulting has completed the bulk of their work for this piece of the project. They're resolving small items that come up through testing to improve usability in the field.

I appreciated Calibre Consulting's communication style. As the point of contact in the field, they mostly speak with me. My role as a liaison has saved a considerable dollar amount and maintained the speed of contact between the team and those who work in the field. Working together made it much less of a struggle to accomplish what we have within the set timeframes.

How did Calibre Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

I found their general processes from a project standpoint to be quite good. They seem to have a background in this specific nature of work. The team uses a very structured, project-oriented approach. We mesh quite well in that regard. From that standpoint, they did an excellent job overall.

Being able to speak directly with the business owner is very helpful. She's always part of the conversation, so very little gets lost in translation from other employees misinterpreting the terms. This has been an important value for us because we're not running a thousand people. Having a close type of relationship is important for us. I prefer having direct contact with the senior staff members or owners of any midsize IT firm.

I don't believe there's anything negative they impacted. Delays always came from our end. Any ways to make the process better lay squarely in our hands, not theirs.

It's tough to judge, since we caused more holdups than ever came from her side of the project.
    The value for money was very good.
    I've already provided their information to people who needed recommendations for this type of service.

Custom Software for an Online App

"Everything that we've asked for has been has provided and accomplished."

Sep. 2017 - Oct. 2018

Using the .NET environment app and Microsoft SQL, Calibre Consulting developed a fully custom digital checkbook web app.

Gerald Paul
Co-Owner, Brige

Communicating clearly from the start, Calibre Consulting’s expert team inspired confidence throughout the project. The team corrected bugs quickly. Their responsiveness and ability to turn constructive feedback into implementable, on-budget deliverables were hallmarks of their work.

I'm a digital officer of Brige. We’re a digital checkbook online app that allows users to write and send checks from a virtual checkbook.

What challenge were you trying to address with Calibre Consulting?

We needed an external partner to develop the whole system. We had a business strategy and digital strategy, as well as an outline of how we wanted to accomplish it. We needed someone to execute that plan.

Calibre Consulting developed everything from the .NET environment app to the Microsoft SQL and the full integration. It was all fully custom, nothing off the shelf. They developed the security from our standards and then executed all of it.

Currently we don’t have an iOS app but all devices are supported from the web browser. We held off because Apple wouldn’t accept our existing solution since it wasn’t built for iOS. Apple users still have the ability to access our app from their mobile devices.

How did you come to work with Calibre Consulting?

My business partner found them through SabreTEC, a Business Trade Exchange. We looked at another company that was based in the U.S. but it didn't fit with us. One of the biggest factors in choosing Calibre Consulting is we wanted a local company that we could actually go and meet around the corner as needed.

The bulk of the project took place from September 2017–October 2018.

We're still in the initial marketing phase. The project went over on time because we had to change a couple major points in the development. The app is live and being utilized, but we found some glitches that they have to accommodate. They're still making fixes right now. There’s also some additional things that we would like to put in. We've done a lot of user testing to find bugs since the main development was completed in October. It's pretty stable at the moment. I haven't contacted them for any bug fixes in the last six weeks.

How did Calibre Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is quite good. They've been professional. Everything that we've asked for has been has provided and accomplished.

There’s an ease of communication with them. They're also equitable. I've dealt with other companies where they nickel and dime clients, charging for every single tiny thing. Calibre Consulting is fair on their pricing and billing procedures. We're actually meeting with them tomorrow to be a referral for a potential new client that they're trying to land.

Not really. There are many things I could have done differently in order to assist them. At the start, we weren’t thinking far enough down the road and that path lead us into a problematic area for security. Once they began production, we had to make changes. That's more on me than on them.

I highly recommend them.

Software Development for HVAC Company

“They work fast using established programming methodologies and don’t waste time.”

Calibre Consulting built a multimodal system that automates manual processes like data entry, estimates, and invoicing. They developed a website using .NET and ASPX and resolved network and email issues.

Jacob Ruiz
Operations Manager, Daystar Mechanical

Calibre Consulting delivered an end-to-end automated system that drastically cut down on processing cycle time from two weeks to two days. Compared to the previous manual method, the deliverable maximizes internal effort and resources. Honest and reliable, the team offers an optimal ROI.

I'm the operations manager of Daystar Mechanical, an HVAC company. In my role, I use many systems to coordinate, dispatch, and process orders and to manage invoicing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Calibre Consulting?

Many of the jobs we’re tasked with involve heating, cooling, and refrigeration for restaurants and franchises with big walk-in coolers. We contacted Calibre Consulting to build a customized system to manage our work orders. Our requirements included several specific components to help us keep track of all our daily processes and services.

Calibre Consulting built our system and website from scratch. Along with software development, they solved problems with our emails and network connections. The site is mobile responsive so that we can access it from a phone or iPad, but we didn’t develop a dedicated mobile app.

The system is designed for internal use. It includes a security unit and dedicated modules for aspects of our business, like HR, work orders, cost lists, and rates per hour. Technologies the team used to create our products included ASPX and .NET. They provided some web design services for the database, but mostly focused on programming.

Previously, we’d had to input numbers manually. The new automated system we built pulls in data depending on the location of a specific job. After the system was complete, I requested more changes and enhancements. Specifically, they recently added invoicing to the work orders functionality.

How did you come to work with Calibre Consulting?

Since I joined the company two years ago after we had hired Calibre Consulting, I'm not entirely sure how we found them. I believe the owners of our company brought the team on.

The enhancements I requested from Calibre Consulting cost around $7,000.

The recent updates took around 2–3 months, but I'm not aware of how long it took to complete the entire system.

Calibre Consulting accomplished our objectives for the set of upgrades on our checklist. To assess their work, I took notes on whether or not each aspect of the project was fully complete. Based on testing from both our sides, everything is working correctly. They made sure nothing went wrong.

During my tenure, Calibre Consulting notably decreased the cycle time from work order placement to invoice submission. This process used to take two weeks, but the new system they delivered shortened its duration to just two days. Fully automated, it doesn't require us to intervene at all.

Having the invoices automated is much faster than waiting for an accountant to copy notes from the technicians and paste them manually into QuickBooks.

How did Calibre Consulting perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management went well. Calibre Consulting followed defined methodologies. They gathered the requirements during our meetings or by email and then gave us estimates on when they'd finish the task. Based on the estimate, we usually held a follow-up call or meeting to make sure that the system was working correctly. I believe they used a staging mode to work on changes first. They usually sent me links to the testing environment to review. Once everything was approved, they moved into production.

Calibre Consulting is very open to customers’ requirements, which is important to me. They work fast using established programming methodologies and don’t waste time. The team is honest about their capabilities. They're very transparent if they ever realize they can't accomplish a task or that it will take more time and cost more money.

Aside from a couple of miscommunications, which is only human, everything was fine.

They always give us a good price.
    They missed a couple of small things but were able to finish the project.
    I would recommend them. They always work hard to improve. I’ve heard that they recently started working on mobile apps, as well.