Product Engineering - Mobile, Web, DevOps

Cabot Technology Solutions provides Product Engineering Services for Enterprise Mobile, Web, IoT, & DevOps.

Our experienced technical team is complemented by an equally strong management team who have spent more than a decade working across the US and Canada in a range of management and analysts capacities. Leveraging our experience, we quickly bring an appropriate context to your business requirements and deliver a sustainable IT solution. We professionally manage all our projects mitigating the business analysis and project management risks associated with offshore development. At Cabot, our clients are our partners. We believe in fewer more intimate client relationships and sustained organic growth in our business.

2006
    Dubai
    United Arab Emirates

SAP, Cypress Semiconductors, Atmel, Emera, Care

App Dev for Marketing Analytics Solution Firm

"Cabot was able to take what we gave them and they were able to implement it."

May. 2016 - Dec. 2016

Cabot Technology Solutions developed a SaaS platform on Microsoft Azure. The assigned team consisted of 3–5 developers which handled frontend and backend work on .NET and SQL respectively.

Boston, Massachusetts
CEO, Marketing Analytics Solutions Company

Cabot Technology Solutions implemented the solution according to spec. While time management could improve, they excel in authenticity and ability to scale to reach deadlines. Their collaborative approach and trustworthiness point to a re-engagement for future projects.

We provide an analytics solution to help sales and marketing operations and SaaS [software-as-a-service] companies with their planning and execution in terms of how many people they need to hire, and how much money they have to spend on what and when in order to hit their goals that lead to revenue growth. Companies run through the year using the plan as a guide and make course corrections as needed. I’m one of the co-founders and the CEO of sales.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We knew there was a market challenge with this and couldn’t find any other solutions. People were using Excel and other apps. We had done a lot of market research and we decided that we had a good idea of what the product had to be. We have a technical background but aren’t developers. We were looking for someone who could take these goals or requirements and build an actual product.

It’s a SaaS solution and it was built on Microsoft Azure because Azure has a special program for startups that we are a part of. The frontend is .NET and the backend is SQL. They had 3–5 developers working on the project. At one point mid-project, they started to fall behind. We had critical timelines to hit so they had to put more developers on it.

How did you come to work with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We spent quite a bit of time trying to find the right partner. We used a combination of references and Google searches. We found Cabot along other people. We went through almost a 3-month process where we talked to the technical teams. We shortlisted a couple of companies and asked them to give us some background references. We did background reference checks on our own and we found things that we were not very comfortable with.

With Cabot, it was more of a combination of the fact that they worked with us diligently through the whole process, and out of everyone we spoke to, they seemed like the best fit in terms of both technical and non-technical reasons.

How much have you invested with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We spent between $30,000 and $60,000. It was a pretty significant investment. If you look at us as a startup, we are entirely bootstrapped, and a significant amount of our expenditure last year went into building the platform.

We started working with them in January 2016. The development began May 1st and the project was supposed to be finished in August 2016 but wasn’t completed until December. A part of the agreement we had with them was for them to provide maintenance, but our real focus at this point in time is getting some more commercial traction before we spend any more time and resources on the project. As customers start embracing the solution, there will be a series of things we would want to do on the product side, and till that point we would re-engage with Cabot.

The feedback we got from a lot of the customers was that it’s very intuitive. People love the interface and everything. If I had to be fair, I think I would give credit to my co-founder and my team versus them. I’m not trying to belittle what they did, but most of the heavy lifting was done by my co-founder. Cabot was able to take what we gave them and they were able to implement it.

How did Cabot Technology Solutions perform from a project management standpoint?

We used JIRA for our entire project. We communicated using Skype on a daily basis. Once a week, we would have a call with the project manager and his boss. We would also use Dropbox at times.

What did you find most impressive about Cabot Technology Solutions?

I haven’t had much experience working with developers so I can’t think of anything off the top of my head. What we found is that there are a lot of companies like this, and the moment you start digging into details is when the façade falls off and you find that people are not what they claim they are.

One thing we liked about Cabot was that they were authentic and we trusted them. We knew they were at least trying. That’s a big deal because we found out that a lot of times companies tell you one thing but then they don’t try at all.

Are there any areas Cabot Technology Solutions could improve?

I would say that the time management is something they could’ve done better. They did try to rectify it, but they missed the deadline. Unfortunately, as a startup, it does have an impact on us because we missed our time to market.

Overall Score They are good to work with. Most of it was collaborative.
    We do like them. We were supposed to finish at the end of August but it wasn’t finished until later.
    The value for money also includes quality. The quality of the work is good, but I also look at how long it took and how many sales I got because of the work.
    The work was good. It could have been better to start with, but over time, they slowly improved.
    Trust is a big thing and it’s important especially when the agency is not local. We learned a couple of things, so if I were to refer someone, we would definitely give them a heads up of what worked well for us. We would definitely work with them again.

Developed Event Planning Solution for Entertainment Firm

"They're very fair with pricing when it comes to unexpected situations."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Cabot Technology Solutions developed a centralized event planning solution meant to streamline scheduling and logistics.

2–10 Employees

Ronnie Lee
President & CEO, Cheers Events

The launched solution lets the internal team coordinate proposals more efficiently than was previously possible. Assigned resources are reliable, communicative, and talented.

Cheers Events is a social and corporate event planning company. We handle award ceremonies, business stage sets, themed events, and anything else the client is looking for. We're also a destination management company, so we can provide transportation to and from airports, museums, and so on. Our themed events can feature actors playing pirates, cops, and so on; they have set designs, props, and lighting. I am the CEO and owner of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We contacted Cabot to create a customized in-house software program for us to write and plan our events. The challenge was that there were many programs out there, but none were a perfect fit. I needed a mix between a proposal generator, an inventory system, and file storage. We basically needed to combine our event organization solutions into one central hub, which could then be used by our planning and logistics teams.

I sent Cabot Technology Solutions everything related to our project, including Excel spreadsheets, intellectual property, and the system we were using at the time, which was a combination of a few solutions including Google Drive, an online calendar, and spreadsheets. Based on these, Cabot Technology Solutions created a custom solution. Cabot's approach was simple and easy to understand. I have been in contact with four people from Cabot Technology Solutions' team, including developers and our project manager. We have a conference call with them every two weeks.

How did you come to work with Cabot Technology Solutions?

I researched different existing applications and realized that a perfect solution would have to be custom built. I looked online for software developers. It all came down to customer service. Cabot Technology Solutions offered a no-risk and no-obligation engagement, as opposed to other providers, where simply getting a quote would have cost me $5,000. Cabot Technology Solutions took my information and provided a rough quote, which would give me an idea of what I was getting myself into.

We had working solutions in place, and we wanted to maintain that standard. There were major things slowing us down within the process, like having to retype a lot of information. We needed some automation, and we showed Cabot Technology Solutions' team our system so that they could see what was and wasn't working about it.

I never considered local options, since it was likely that they would be using Indian developers anyway. The choice was ultimately based on the developer's ability to understand what I was asking for. Mike George, Cabot Technology Solutions' VP of global sales, is a good bridge for the language gap. Whenever I had a technical problem which I couldn't relay to the people who were actually coding, he was able to step in and understand both sides well.

We started working with Cabot Technology Solutions at the end of 2016. We have completed 70% of the work. We've finished the foundation, but we're working on smaller quirks in the system. We plan to go live with the system in the summer of 2017, when our slow season starts, and populate the program by October when the busy period starts.

I won't have any metrics until we've gone forward with the program, but I know that the solution will end up being a cost effective choice for me. If anything, simply being able to roll out proposals faster will be helpful.

We mainly work with events suppliers and hadn't had any experience with companies like Cabot Technology Solutions. They've been great in terms of responsiveness and delivery times. They were always available and able to keep up with the changes. On the phone, there is a sincere tone and willingness to take care of the customer. There were a couple of issues and deliveries which we needed to modify, but Cabot Technology Solutions always resolved them well. There's never been a case of their team being resistant to accommodate our requests.

We used Skype, Teamup Calendar, and a few other applications for communicating with Cabot Technology Solutions, including screen sharing software.

What did you find most impressive about Cabot Technology Solutions?

This was my first foray into developing custom software, so I don't have a comparison for Cabot Technology Solutions, but I do have a lot of knowledge in working with suppliers for various aspects. Their team is way above average in general. Cabot Technology Solutions has gotten back to me in a timely manner, and they're very fair with pricing when it comes to unexpected situations. I understood that I couldn't know what to expect from a contracting job like this, and Cabot Technology Solutions made it a point to confirm this. There were going to be some changes which would end up costing more, and they were upfront about that.

Cabot Technology Solutions was also willing to accept that the cost of doing business involves putting in some work up front during the proposal process. Certain other companies weren't willing to do that. That was a major selling point for Cabot Technology Solutions.

Mike George has stood out through responsiveness and responsibility. It was good to know that he was available for difficult situations. I would highly recommend Cabot to anyone who has a custom software need.

Are there any areas Cabot Technology Solutions could improve?

Training developers to be more engaged with customers would be an improvement. People who code are wired differently than sales people, and I don't know if it's possible to improve the communication with them, since, beyond the language barrier, they have a different way of thinking. They're very knowledgeable in their field, while I'm not, so there's a learning curve for both sides. I've had to learn certain keywords and to be specific. I'm sure that this comes up a lot, and it's why Mike has to stay involved. That's the only negative from Cabot Technology Solutions' side, and it's not really a negative. I didn't know any better myself.

Cabot Technology Solutions has been very good in this respect. They use technology well, and ensured that I would stick to our meetings, but there were still a few drawbacks.
    Giving generalized requirements will end up costing us more, after changing things which have already been programmed. Had I known this, I would have spent more time on the initial process.
    No one should get a five unless the work is perfect.
    Since we are building custom software and making it up as we go, there is room for mistakes. The few issues we've had with Cabot Technology Solutions have been worked out, so I can't imagine that another company would give a better experience.

Website Enhancements and Marketing for Database Provider

"Cabot's team went above and beyond and showed an obsession for customer success."

Jul. 2015 - Oct. 2015

Cabot Technology Solutions works to grow the client's web and digital presence through various marketing techniques and application development.

Denver Metro Area
CEO, Database Provider

Cabot Technology Solutions goes above and beyond the project scope. The client likes their approach to customer onboarding and engagement.

We are a United States-based firm providing specialized database administration services to Fortune 1000 companies. We have been in business for the last 5 years. I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We needed to enhance our web presence.

We engaged Cabot for website work, including adding mobile capabilities as well as SEO [search engine optimization], content marketing, and Google pay-per-click.

How did you come to work with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We found Cabot through a referral, but we also made Google searches.

How much have you invested with Cabot Technology Solutions?

The cost of our engagement with Cabot was between $10,000 and $15,000.

We worked with Cabot in 2015 during a 3-month period.

Our project was successful. Cabot's team went above and beyond and showed an obsession for customer success. Cabot was willing to do whatever we asked for.

What did you find most impressive about Cabot Technology Solutions?

Cabot has been a great team to work with. I would definitely use them again, and I highly recommend Cabot to anyone in need of a technology partner.

Are there any areas Cabot Technology Solutions could improve?

I can't think of anything.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Cabot Technology Solutions?

I have nothing specific to recommend. Cabot has a well-organized approach to engaging and onboarding customers, so if a client follows that process, they will be in good hands.

iOS Development for Beauty Service Platform

"By far and away, Cabot has stood out as a company that really knows how to project manage, to work closely with their clients, to reassure their clients, and make their clients comfortable with working remotely."

After a rigorous vetting process, the client hired Cabot Technology Solutions for iOS development services.

Chicago Metro Area
CEO, Beauty Service Application

Cabot Technology Solutions delivered high quality work and followed through on their plans. The client praises the agency’s communication and timeliness. There were no major issues and Cabot Technology Solutions is highly recommended to others.

Our company allows women to book in-home or on-location hair and makeup appointments from a network of vetted freelance professionals.

I am the CEO of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We launched in 2013 with a website. When we first launched, we were really the only business of its kind. Nobody else was really trying to be an Uber for beauty service delivery, which is kind of how this market has evolved. As the market became increasingly crowded, it moved towards being almost entirely app-based, and there were a ton of articles being written about the space pretty much exploding. There were companies coming out of the woodwork from all around the country, trying to be an Uber for beauty service delivery.

We're more kind of an Airbnb. We're less on demand and more of a marketplace. We realized quickly that in order to be included in the buzz we needed an app for iOS, given that most of our users for our target market have iPhones. So, there were articles coming out, and in order to meet the deadlines and be included in some major publications, we kind of needed to checkbox that we had an app. We engaged Cabot to help us with that project.

They did iOS development for us, but they didn't do any design work.

How did you come to work with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We found them on Elance. We had worked with offshore teams before, we had worked with full-time employees, freelancers, IT [information technology] as a shared service. We really experimented with a number of different IT service providers in our short two-year history, and we had actually been burned before by an offshore team, so I was a little wary to start the process again. At that point, we did have a full-time CTO, but he didn't necessarily have specific iOS experience. We realized quickly that outsourcing this specific project would be our best way forward.

I spent a lot of time vetting potential service providers. I think I probably interviewed about 15 or so, after they passed my initial screening. To me, the most important thing was speaking to past clients, to make sure that they had actually delivered the work that they had shown me in their track records that they had delivered. For me, communication was also a really big thing. It was pretty easy to tell who had the technical chops, but for me responsiveness and communication were as important as the actually ability to execute.

I had worked previously with a development team in India that had really oversold me on the customer service side of things and ended up really dropping the ball when it came to actual service providing. They would schedule meetings purposely, with an appreciation for the time difference, on their schedule. Even though I was the client, I was meeting with them at 2 a.m. in the States, and it was because they really didn't prioritize me at all or cared much about the client experience. That was important to me, speaking to past clients of the potential service providers I was considering, and making sure that customer service was important.

I think it was around $5,000, if I remember correctly, definitely less than $10,000. We were very much a bootstrap company and, at that point in time, a team of three.

We started working with them about 15 months ago, and the project has been completed. I would certainly work with them again. It was a very self-contained project. Our main focus has been and continues to be the website itself, and the cross platform integration is very much in focus for us now, so we really want to nail the desktop experience before further massaging the app experience. If it did come to having to farm out discreet pieces for our various platforms, I would certainly engage Cabot again.

I don't really have any metrics to quantify the success of the projects, but I would say they delivered the exact agreed scope of the project. For them, a lot of it was execution based. We had designs already from a design team that we engaged, and our CTO was essentially handing over the APIs [application programming interfaces] to be translated to the app. Not that there wasn't room for error, because there certainly was, but they were essentially executing very specific plans. They did exactly what they said they would do. Any feedback on design would be unfair to contribute to them because they didn't design the user experience, or the interface or any of that.

They were truly top notch. I was really impressed with especially Shareem. They were incredibly communicative and timely. I know that especially with technology and development, sometimes it's very hard to give deadlines. You almost don't really know, until you really get under the hood, how long something can take, but they were very good at making estimations that were satisfactory and that they were actually able to deliver against.

We had a phenomenal experience. We used email, Skype, and G-chat to communicate. They always felt accessible and available, even though we had a huge geographical distance between us. Especially when you're a bootstrap company, and $5,000 is a ton of money to you, it's nice to feel that it's being taken seriously on the other end, too.

What distinguishes Cabot Technology Solutions from other providers?

I think Cabot Technology Solutions's communication skills are truly top notch, the best that I've come across, and I've worked with a couple and I've considered working with several. By far and away, Cabot has stood out as a company that really knows how to project manage, to work closely with their clients, to reassure their clients, and make their clients comfortable with working remotely. I think that's a scary undertaking for a lot of startups. You're trusting somebody with your baby, and you're paying them what can feel like a ton of money without ever seeing them and without every meeting them. I think that Cabot makes that as non-scary as possible, I guess.

Is there anything Cabot Technology Solution could have improved or done differently?

This is a tough one, but I know that we ended up having some technical glitches. Our app is appointment based, and the clock was set to some random time zone that ended up causing trouble. To make a very long story short, it was probably something that they could have accounted for. It certainly was a very minor thing, but not explicitly called out in the scope. This is something that I had to get used to, working with any freelancer, especially offshore freelancers. You need to be so specific and direct in your instructions.

Cabot is good at taking instructions, but they might not necessarily go beyond in terms of thinking what is outside of what this client is telling me. It's hard as a client, especially if you're nontechnical, to think of all of the things that you have to think of and account for that go into an IT project. Cabot is a really good task taker, and they're really good with instructions. There were some bugs that resulted from them not really pushing to think, "What has this co-founder not thought of, as a nontechnical person, which could potentially cause errors later on?"

Mobile Development for Danish Development Firm

"No matter what technological challenge we face, Cabot Technology Solutions always has a resource within their grasp."

The client hired Cabot for projects that tested the agency’s development skills, project management, and quality assurance, and now uses the agency as their primary developer.

Denmark
Partner, Danish Development Firm

Cabot Technology Solutions performed extremely well throughout the partnership, justifying an ongoing relationship which extended the scope of their engagement. The client praises the agency’s ability to follow through and recommends them to others.

We are a small Danish development bureau that focuses on developing value-added mobile solutions and exploiting the potential of the mobile platform by utilizing new and existing technologies.

I'm a partner at the company.

We were developing a quiz application. In the face on the European financial crisis, we looked at alternative solutions in order to stay competitive and to stay ahead in the market. At first, we had to offer more competitive prices on our projects due to the downsizing of development projects in the Danish market. We looked through various online sourcing markets and posted a project on one of them. Cabot responded, not as first mover, but as best mover, and we saw that they were the best firm in terms of communication, understanding, insights and maintaining a balanced sales approach.

We started with a concept project, testing Cabot's development skills, project management, and QA [quality assurance] on a smaller quiz app project. That went well and the projects thereafter became larger in scale.

Could you provide a sense of the size of this initiative?

The project was in the $10,000 to $49,999 range.

The initial quiz app project conveyed to us that Cabot could handle larger-scale projects, ultimately resulting today in the fact that we actually have Cabot as our primary development partner.

How did Cabot Technology Solutions do from a project management standpoint?

The original project with Cabot was very successful, which gave us the confidence to extend our relationship with them for additional projects. On many occasions, they have been extremely accommodating when we have a client that wanted a last-minute change.

What distinguishes Cabot Technology Solutions from other providers?

No matter what technological challenge we face, Cabot Technology Solutions always has a resource within their grasp because of their multiple in-house skills, and because of their great support and availability. Even if the resource had to travel one or two hours to office in non-office hours, Cabot always came through. Cabot never left us hanging.

Mobile App Development for Disability Nonprofit Organization

"Cabot Solution seems to go beyond coding. They take interest in the needs of the customer."

June 2013 - Ongoing

Cabot Technology Solutions designed and developed an app to aid in walking form analysis for physical rehabilitation. The team worked on all aspects of the app, which was released on both iOS and Android.

Los Angeles Metro Area
Director of Engineering, Disability Nonprofit Organization

The team is prompt and grew capacity as needed for project completion. Cabot Solutions continually improves their capabilities while maintaining great project management and expertise. They handle changing technologies well and were very thorough in terms of reporting and documentation.

We are a national rehab hospital in Downey, California. We receive patients with disabilities, and we serve the county of Los Angeles and as part of that we have a big research component. We develop technologies and interventions for improving mobility for people with walking dysfunction, people in wheelchairs, people with stroke, and brain injury.

Throughout the years, we've developed the knowledge base to understand and evaluate people with walking impairment better and a lot of that knowledge base needed to be converted or made into something that can be distributed to interested parties and users easily.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I'm the director of engineering research.

What was your goal for working with Cabot Solutions?

The idea was to develop an app that embodies the knowledge base specifically in gate analysis looking at how people walk normally as well as how people walk with an abnormality and impairment. Our center has been working in that area for the last 45 to 50 years. We've taken that information and implemented it into a mobile app that can allow a student or clinician to learn the basic components of walk gate.

We partnered with the developer and this was part of a research grant that we had gotten to develop these things. The developer worked with us in implementing this app, which consists of the identification of all the faces of gate and multimedia assets that show the basic component of gate. We were able to release the app a little less than three years ago. We've worked on another version that has more content and it facilitates analysis of impaired walking in addition to normal walking. We're in the process of releasing that now.

It was mobile app design and development and implementation and release. The mobile app is for iOS and Android.

What was your process for selecting Cabot Solutions?

I found them through Elance. I decided they're pretty good, and I stayed with them.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

It was from $15,000 to $20,000.

When was the work completed?

The second phase is going to be completed in the next week or so [July 2015], but we have two more phases to add.

Do you have any statistics or metrics on the project?

The results are less measurable.

Are you satisfied with their performance?

Very satisfied. They're very prompt. They have grown and their capacity to get quick projects done has improved dramatically since 2013. We began the engagement at that time.

Their staff seems to be more experienced. The technology changed, and they've been able to keep up with it. They do a very good job of troubleshooting. They seem to be very responsive.

They created this document for me that describes all the work plans. That was very helpful.

I sent them the use case document, and they turned that into a more formal document. I don't know if that's standard procedure or if that was extra. That was very thorough, and I believe is rare with offshore firms.

What differentiates Cabot Solutions from other partners?

Cabot Solution seems to go beyond coding. They take interest in the needs of the customer. Cabot seems to do their research beyond just a typical group that implements. They went beyond what I would have expected.

We started with iOS and then we also did the Android app and it seems like two years ago it was much more straightforward for Cabot to develop the iOS applications. Now, it seems the table has turned. It seems Cabot is much more adept at doing Android.

I would have liked to be able to implement the app into a tablet, and they seemed to be restricted just because of the requirements. Back then, it took more effort to program or to build the app into different Android platforms. They were going to charge me more for that. I think technology now would allow them to accommodate more devices. The app that I worked with them on is only designed for the smartphone version. They could easily have implemented it into a tablet, which is much more popular now than two years ago. I don't have anything else specific, and that feedback is relatively minor.

Programmers come in and out and one thing that I found positive with the turnover was that there was always one person there that I can turn to. While they may have gotten new people or people have transitioned out, it was good to keep in contact with them.

From my end, I would have worked more on getting all the assets that I needed to get to them ahead of time. There were delays in completing the app because of us. We did a fair amount of the graphical design. I think that would have contributed to the delays.

iPad Development for Dental Health Startup Company

"[T]heir depth of experience in medical and dental was a huge advantage."

Cabot Technology Solutions built an iPad app that facilitates communication between dentists, labs, and patients. They provided requirements gathering, strategy, back-end development, and testing.

Founder, Dental Health Startup Company

Feedback to all beta testing has been overwhelmingly positive. Users appreciate the platform's usable interface and smooth, speedy operation. Cabot Technology Solutions' technical expertise and comprehensive knowledge of similar medical technologies allowed them to craft a specialized solution.

Please describe your company.

I run two companies right now. The primary company is a fabricator of implants, crowns and bridges, so dental technology. The other organization is the software that Cabot, and I have been working on.

I am the owner.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address with Cabot Technology Solutions?

We're developing software to automate the experience between dental professionals, dental laboratories, and implant companies. We're using a mobile device chair-side, to help for treatment planning and for case insertion as well as implant parts and services required to finish the case.

Could you describe the scope of their involvement?

The application is just for iPad right now. The issue with Android is that there are so many different screen sizes, and we needed consistency in resolution for photos and X-rays. So, after much consideration, we decided the best course of action was to develop the solution for one platform at first, and we decided on Apple iOS.

They've been primarily responsible for the functional development and testing. There was quite a large discovery process right in the beginning, in the first scope of the project, and that gave them the understanding and the depth of what we were going to do. I did use local and European artists for visual designs prior to going to the coding stage. So, they didn't have too much to do in terms of the visual design elements.

How did you come to work with Cabot Technology Solutions?

I went through a few different experiences, and not all of them were positive. I had begun with a local developer and felt like I wasn't getting a very honest dollar to product ratio. I searched out, and we interviewed several other service providers. The reason we went with Cabot was, their depth of experience in medical and dental was a huge advantage, so they were very diverse in what they knew about. Not only were they developing an app, and coding, and all those good jewels of things, but they also had a rudimentary understanding of dentistry, which helped greatly in communicating requirements and goals.

Can you give a sense of the size of the initiative?

The general range was anywhere between $30,000 and $50,000.

I have had three rounds of beta testing with local practitioners in my area. We are about a week away from final release. It's been a long project.

Could you share any statistics, metrics or user feedback from this project?

I can say that once the beta testing ended, I've gotten questions almost daily from practitioners who have used it, including front office staff and dentist consultant professionals, on when they can resume using it. They've had a good experience with it. In terms of the testing, the results exceeded expectations. The app functioned in the way it was supposed to.

I'm a very cautious individual when it comes to what I'm going to release, so I took my time in doing tweaks and adjustments during the last three or four months. That's why we're not live because I keep adding more to it. In all honesty, it's hard to stop, but you have to nail down the core function that you need in order to move it the way you want to move it. We identified things that were required in order to get a better acceptance range, and that's what I was looking for.

The app has a social network built into it, and an invitation network built into it for study clubs, and other laboratories, and implant companies. I'm working with the largest implant company in the world right now, and I'm going to work with them to get my initial release and boots on the ground. Then, I imagine the app is going to start having its own legs. That's the way we built it, and that was one of the challenges of it in the very beginning – how to make it so it's self-perpetuating.

I had my own budget, I set my own milestones, and I like to think that I'm easy going. When I run into something that's going to take longer than we expected, I'm not barking or anything like that, I'm not upset about that. We've had a very flexible development schedule. That being said, it's like anything. Sometimes you get new people, and it takes a little while to catch them up and whatnot, but that was the only thing that was difficult.

Is there anything that you'd consider unique about their practice?

Like I said right in the beginning and I will reiterate, it's the depth of their understanding of not only the coding ability, but also the medical field. They have a larger understanding of multiple industries, which is an important toolkit. It means I don't have to recreate the wheel with them since they have a baseline understanding of how we operate and how we approach solutions.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

Not really. I've been very happy. There's nothing that I could say was their fault. I had delays, but it wasn't because of them. It was because we were waiting on graphics from an individual here, or waiting on visual loops from Serbia. That's not on them – that's for sure.

What advice, if any, would you give a future client of theirs?

The faster you reply the faster your project gets finished. My benefit is that my day starts when their day ends, so they have a whole day's work in front of them that they finish, and I have the entire day to respond to it. They really work quite hard, and we end up having a lot of meetings. We've had a lot of meetings closer to the end of their workdays and beginning of my workdays. The only thing I can say is, the faster that you respond to whatever questions or issues they have, or clarifications they need, you'll stay on track. Feedback is very important.

Overall Score I will continue working on them. I'm not displeased at all.
    Because I started off with a North American developer, and I've gone to overseas developing, I'm getting double the amount of work for my dollar.
    As long as they are not my competitor, no problem. I would be very likely as long as they're not developing an app or the same thing that I am doing.

Mobile Application Development for Fitness Startup

"They are proficient with coding and treat clients very well.... [they have] strong project management as well."

Cabot Solutions works on two health and wellness applications on both iOS and Android. The team provides development and upgrade services on an ongoing basis.

New York City Metro Area
Manager, Fitsnapp

The team is professional with good customer service and communication. Cabot Technology has completed several projects, all of which have resulted in great products. They are proficient coders and demonstrate strong project management.

The client has a health and wellness application that allows people to take photos and track progress in dieting and fitness. I am the project manager who managed the last two projects with Cabot.

We needed to find a partner for just the development of our iOS and Android applications. They worked on two different projects with us.

We engaged with Cabot after finding them on oDesk. They were the most professional firm who responded to our proposal. I interviewed them on Skype and was very pleased with their client service and communication.

They completed a smaller project that cost more than $3,000 in 2013. We have them working on an ongoing basis on the development of our main mobile app now. That project has cost around $20,000 to date.

They provide strictly development. Other teams provide the design and other elements. The work will last for several more months if not longer.

We are very satisfied with the work delivered by Cabot. They are proficient with coding and treat clients very well. They offer much better service than most offshore companies. I have worked with several offshore firms from many nations. Cabot is the most transparent and honest of them all. They have strong project management as well.

I have no complaints but they could probably improve the communication slightly in the beginning of the project about potential challenges. Overall, I am very satisfied, so we still use them.

Custom Offshore Development For Field Service Firm

"I’m very pleased with their responsiveness and how flexible they are."

Cabot Technology built a custom software solution to manage electric and medical services on web and mobile. They provided back-end development, information architecture, and quality assurance.

Dallas, Texas
CEO, Field Service Firm

Cabot Technologies' deep talent pool enabled them to manage every stage of the project with considerable skill. Their deliverables consistently rivaled those produced by the in-house team. The team communicates efficiently, responds promptly to feedback, and accommodates tight deadlines.

Could you provide a brief description of your organization?

We’re a field service management software product. We help service companies like HVAC [heating, ventilating, and air conditioning], plumbing, electrical, and medical field service. Our core competency is HVAC and electrical.

I’m the chief executive officer.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you first approached Cabot Technology Solutions?

We needed a partner that we could work with to help us build out the entire solution that we had set out to build, but lacked the capabilities to do so. We needed an integrated development partner that had experience with desktop, mobile, and systems administration. Those three things were the driving factors for us. Our biggest challenge was to find a vendor that offered the broad array of services from front-end to backend.

We’ve really taken advantage of all their resources, including their developers, architects, and system administrators. I’ve worked closely with their mobile and front-end developers, QA [quality assurance] testers, project managers, and even their sales and billing staff.

How did you select Cabot Technology Solutions as your partner?

We’ve used some other vendors, and we have some of our own internal developers. We also have a lot of expertise working with offshore and onshore contractors. I knew what I needed with an offshore team. When we started the project, we tried out a few companies, and it didn’t work out, because they were too one-dimensional. When I first came across Cabot through some online research, it made sense to reach out to them with our work. After discussing our project and possible approaches, I felt confident that they’d be able to deliver what we needed.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this engagement?

We’ve spent more than $100,000 a year with them

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the quality of their performance?

I’m very involved with the entire development life cycle, and I work with their teams on a first-hand basis. The quality has been on par with our own developers. Like any other software development project, you have some ups and downs, but for the most part, they’ve delivered what we’ve wanted. When timelines are tight, they’re able to come through and get things done. Generally speaking, I’m very pleased with their responsiveness and how flexible they are. We’ve definitely encountered difficulties, but they’ve all been resolved with care.

No, I can’t pose any real criticisms. The friction we’ve experienced with them is what I’d consider standard when engaged with an offshore development partner. We’ve provided consistent feedback regarding quality and process improvements, and they’ve been more than accommodating with us.

Overall Score They’re very responsive, very easy to communicate with.
    Their timing isn’t always on, but with a little bit of pressure they come though and deliver on time.
    Small issues arose, but were rectified quickly.
    I already have and will continue to do so.