Strategic thinking. Compelling design.

We are a multi-disciplinary graphic design company based out of San Diego. For us it’s more than just making things look great. We believe design is the fundamental tool for helping people connect and communicate effectively. It is our passion to take concepts, ideas, and emotion and translate them into memorable and captivating visual experiences.

San Diego, CA
  • 2121 Adams Avs.
    San Diego, CA 921116

Union Cowork, Jeremiah Johnson Brewing Co., Host & Porter, Old Harbor Distillery, KUSC, Brekki

Branding for Entertainment Company

“They’ve been on top of managing our engagements."

Jan. - Mar. 2019

Caava Design completes multiple projects as needed on an ongoing basis. Recently, they provided a full brand overhaul, including new icons, typography, and a color palette.

San Diego, CA
Brian Fahmie
CEO/Co-Founder, Game Complex, Inc.

Success for the new branding elements bodes well. The team is thorough, organized, and professional. Customers can expect a fully fleshed-out project at an exceptional price point.

I’m the co-founder and CEO of GameComplex. We design and build interactive experiences and entertainment centers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Caava Design?

We needed a corporate rebranding to give our business a proper identity.

They gave us a standard rebranding package. They created icons, typography, and a color palette. They also did documentation template work such as letterheads and business cards. Additionally, they did the identity branding for two of our sub-brands. They delivered vector logo files, an executive summary letterhead, business cards, t-shirt designs, and social media icons.

We worked with Wayne (Marketing Strategy Director, Caava Design) and Cody (Creative Director, Caava Design).

How did you come to work with Caava Design?

We had a pre-existing relationship through four other projects they completed for us on other occasions.

For this project, we began working together in January 2019 and wrapped up in March 2019.

Although it’s still very early, all of our potential partners and investors love the branding. Internally, we’re incredibly pleased with the cost value benefit of the service. They’re not a million-dollar branding firm, but it’s tons of value for the price.

How did Caava Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They're excellent in managing our engagements. They've always been top-of-mind in that area.

Their presentations where they display the final results are well done. Unlike a lot of firms, they show fully fleshed out presentations, rather than spending time on presenting revisions. They show everything you’ll need to as a company in a practical application. For example, they incorporated gaming elements and convention banners to show how the new brand translates. Within the first time you see their work you get a great picture of their work and it’s something unique that I’ve never seen any other branding firm do. They typically hit the mark on the head the first time.

Their file management, PSD, and vector files could be a bit cleaner. Maybe they had some interns work on it, or maybe they don’t expect their clients to go in and play with those files, but my team works with all of our assets and those components were clunky. We had to do a lot of clean-up internally, so that would be our only point of improvement.

My advice is to stay on top of the project. If there’s a pressing deadline, it’s a good idea to check in to see if Caava might need anything. Finally, the more information and direction that can be given upfront, the better.

Overall Score I’ve worked with them on 5 projects and plan on doing more in the future.
    They’ve always delivered on time and on budget.
    The cost benefit analysis is phenomenal.
    The quality of their work is exceptional.
    I’ve done it multiple times at this point.

Branding for Culinary Logistics Company

"I was impressed with every aspect of their operation."

June - Aug. 2018

Caava Design was responsible for branding efforts for a culinary logistics company. This included choosing colors and fonts for the brand.

Jeffrey D Hall
Owner & Partner, MiSE Culinary Logistics

The new branding is eye-catching and receives positive comments from clients. Caava Design creates detailed work through a seamless project management process. Their team is creative, flexible, and responsive.

MiSE Culinary Logistics is a full service hospitality brand launch and design company. For operational flow design, kitchen and front of house layouts and operational system launch. I am the owner of the brand.

For what projects/services did your company hire Caava Design?

I had only a name of MiSE and what the company would do, but my design ideas I brought to other people were not where I wanted them to be. Unlike typical branding projects for my own companies, I am usually much more hands on and drive the direction, but I let CAAVA take the lead and they took it in another bespoke yet functional and beautiful direction.

I wanted to make sure that my branding was eye-catching and intriguing but also helped explain what we did. I wanted to find something that had a depth as well as a timeless feel that could stand up to decades of operations.

I knew one of the principles personally and I sourced them out and vetted them after my first designer did what I asked but I still was not as excited as I wanted to be. Then after working with their flow and style of discovery, I was sold and they produced such an amazing brand for me.

Discovery of the branding and development of the style, feel and font for my consultancy start-up.

3 people were involved between Cody, the principle that is the engine and then the creative continuity that Wayne was able to draw out to Lauren physically and beautifully putting together an amazing end product.

It has helped provide validity and conversation to start with clients. The impressive branding has been something that restauranteurs really aligned with a direct quote being “if you care this much about your own branding then I feel like mine operation is in good hands”. Rarely is it not part of the conversation as I close on a deal or even just hand out a business card.

Seamless...... It didn't take many meetings and we landed on an iteration that was incredibly thorough with appropriate progress reports about the process. They knew more than I seemed to of what I wanted to convey with my branding.

They are a lean small shop that nails deadlines and creates incredibly in-depth projects with little politics or layers getting in the way.

I was impressed with every aspect of their operation. Maybe a full bar in their facility! (Ha!, that is a joke).

Overall Score Once again, went above and beyond my expectations.
    TImely and easy to schedule
    Work speaks for it self
    Above and beyond what I asked for
    Without a doubt

Branding for Bag Company

"The outcome has been far better than I ever imagined."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Caava Design worked to brand a bag company, starting by establishing a general aesthetic. They created a logo, designed hang-tags and thank you notes, and even developed a brand tagline.

Slovenia
Maja Zurovac
Founder, Maiook

Caava Design produced amazing designs that have afforded the client countless compliments. The packaging of the product is now impactful and captures the brand's mission. The team was responsive, timely, and sensitive to the client's needs and vision.

I'm the owner of Maiook, a bag and accessories brand based in Slovenia

For what projects/services did your company hire Caava Design?

I needed help with branding for my company. I had the name and a general idea of the direction but I needed someone to translate that and create the overall aesthetic for my brand.

To create a brand identity that would be meaningful and stand out in a crowded marketplace.

They were one of the numerous brands recommended in a course I was taking. I visited all the recommended websites and theirs was the one that stood out. I was impressed by both their website and their previous projects. After a call with Cody, I knew they were a perfect fit.

They created a brand inspiration document to find of my preferences, we exchanged a few emails and then Cody and his team did their magic. They designed the overall look of my brand - they created my logo, designed my hang tags and thank you notes, and developed my brand tagline.

I engaged with Cody, the owner, and later on also with Lauren (graphic designer).

The outcome has been far better than I ever imagined. Since working with Caava Design, I have received countless compliments on the rebrand and made some great impressions with packaging.

I loved working with Cody and his team. Right from the start, I felt like they understood what I was trying to create. The communication is seamless despite being based on different continents. They're always beyond helpful in answering all of my emails and they do so in a timely manner.

I was impressed by how well they understood my vision and how they were able to translate that into my branding. They are amazing people and wonderful to work with.

Nothing comes to mind.

always on time
    worth every penny
    exceptional
    I do it all the time

Design for Craft Distillery

"We were impressed by the results and their willingness to make your ideas a reality."

July 2012 - Ongoing

Caava Design helped with naming and design for a craft distillery. Thing included logo design, label design, and creation of a lookbook.

Michael Skubic
Founder, Old Harbor Distilling Co.

The brand and distillery continue to grow and gain new customers. Caava Design's constant communication has led to more work and a successful continued relationship. Their team is hands-on and talented.

I am the founder of Old Harbor Distilling Co. We are a craft distillery in downtown San Diego and we specialize in high end spirits.

For what projects/services did your company hire Caava Design?

Starting a spirits company from scratch. I had a name, but we had no design direction.

To produce a line of spirits, marketing material & website. Naming and logo design for each product. We wanted to create a liquor bottle that would stand out in a crowded market.

He came recommended to me by a friend. We met and talked over beers at a local pub. He showed me some of his work and we decided it was a good fit.

We created a shared account for pintrest to make a collection of looks and vibes that we liked. From there they made a look book full of ideas. We ordered sample bottles, selected ours. Created the final logo and designed our labels. After that we shot high quality bottle shots and developed the website.

At the start it was just Cody and his web guy. 6 years later we are still working with them and the Caava team has grown.

We have had a very successful launch and continue to grow. We are in the process of releasing a new line of spirits called “The Adventure Series” that is already selling great in the marketplace with just the vodka we have released. We are working on a marketing campaign and have two more products to add to the line-up.

They are great to work with. Always answer emails, calls, and texts in a timely manner. We are in the same city so I can meet with them in person which is great. Especially with our products that need a hands-on approach.

Nothing that comes to mind.

Overall Score As good as it gets.
    Never have an issue getting in touch with them.
    Worth every penny.
    We love our design. It is in our opinion one of the sharpest looking spirits on the shelf.
    I do all the time.

Branding for CBD Company

"We are stoked to have met these amazing people."

Feb. - July 2019

Caava Design created a brand identity for a CBD health and wellness company. This includes designing a logo, packaging, and creating a brand aesthetic.

Autumn Benjamin
Operations Manager, Viia CBD

The branding has invigorated the brand, receiving positive internal reviews. Caava Design's team stands out due to their personality and honesty. Open and communicative, they creat quality work through years of design expertise.

I am the Co-founder and operations manager at Viia CBD.

For what projects/services did your company hire Caava Design?

We needed help in our start-up phase, basically designing our entire brand and branding look.

We wanted to find our look, and create something meaningful to us. We needed everything from Logo designs, to packaging, and the overall aesthetics of our brand as a whole.

After having no luck with freelancers, graphic design friends, and even giving it a try ourselves... we were on the search for a company who had some awesome visuals and general feel. We found Caava by searching all design agencies in San Diego, stumbled upon their amazing website, and were 'wowed' by their work. So we struck up a phone call, were overjoyed by their great on-the-phone personalities, and here we are today.

The scope was to come up with a brand from scratch.

Overall a really open and honest composition. Since we are a small team and they are a small team we really had the chance to hash out a lot of the small things, all together.

Our outcome is far better than anything we were imagining it would have been. We have fallen in love with the work that has been done, and we have made some great impressions with our image. I think the most successful for us is the learning aspect of our journey with Caava. We are a new brand, and this is our first venture, Wayne and Cody have taught us so much and really have been like mentors to us.

At first, it was hard because we could not have as many face to face meetings. So there were some miscommunications that we felt hindered the workflow. But as things progressed and we relocated to Southern California we felt that things moved at a better pace and smoother...

We are stoked to have met these amazing people. We are impressed the most with the personality of Caava as a whole agency.

Breaking out of comfort zones.

exceptional
    exquisite

Branding for Top Disposable Cutlery Company

"They’re wonderful people to work with that truly overdeliver."

Jun. 2017 - Jun. 2018

Caava Design produced new branding for the company, including a new name, product packaging, and a refreshed image for using across various product categories. They also designed catalogs and a website.

Avi Blau
Partner, Host & Porter

Their understanding of the company's needs was so spot on that they didn't have to produce too many design options. The new branding resulted in new contracts with retailers. Responsiveness and an ability to overcome challenges with ease are highlights of their work.

I’m a partner at Host & Porter, a top disposable cutlery company. We’re probably the number one seller in this category on Amazon and have over 400 listings.

What challenge were you trying to address with Caava Design?

We had to choose a name and image that would fit our products, as well as make each collection to look different yet part of our big family. We also had to do it all within an established timeline.

Caava Design chose our name and then came up with a watercolor pattern scheme that could be used across our entire product family. Within three months, we started getting deliverables. They also helped us create different catalogs for different targets, as well as a full website.

We started with three team members. They later brought on a few more people into the project.

How did you come to work with Caava Design?

I reached out to a few different agencies, but some of the proposals were extremely expensive. I found Caava Design and liked their approach. I reached out, and the first call lasted over two hours. My main wish was to look like a big brand yet have each collection display its own identity.

We spent $200,000 on their work.

We worked together from June 2017–June 2018.

It was a real pleasure to work with them. They didn’t have to provide a lot of choices because they hit it off right away, understanding exactly what we wanted. We got some of major warehouse store retailers on board with our new branding.

Furthermore, we now have our new packaging on the shelves for many retailers and online. Caava Design took care of the catalogs, the website, and the entire hosting for the company.

How did Caava Design perform from a project management standpoint?

We had occasional calls and managed the project through the monday.com platform. Their team was very responsive.

They always came through regardless of tight deadlines and other difficulties. They’re wonderful people to work with that truly overdeliver.

N, I’d love to keep them a secret. I have some projects that are in the pipeline that I’d like to use them for.

I’m very pleased with them. They delivered great results.

Overall Score I’ve been in the development and marketing business for 20 years, and they’re one of the best out there.
    I would give them a 15 if I could.
    I did refer them, and they just landed a big client because of it. I'm so thankful for them.

Rebranding for Regional Brewery

“We have been amazed by their design proficiency and knowledge of what is best for a brand.”

July 2017 - Dec. 2018

Caava Design rebranded a craft brewery. They created designs for all products, including beer cans, merchandise, tap handles, and promotional signage.

Great Falls, Montana
Jeremiah Johnson
President & Owner, Jeremiah Johnson Brewing Company

Caava Design built brand awareness through distinctive designs and effective product launches. Their work spurred market expansion and drove top-performing supermarket sales. They were adept design and branding professionals. The team adhered to a strict timeframe.

I’m the president and owner of Jeremiah Johnson Brewing Company, a regional brewery in Montana. We are a production-focused craft brewery.

What challenge were you trying to address with Caava Design?

My wife and I bought an existing brewery and needed help with rebranding. We had a distinct vision of the company we wanted to be.

Caava Design created the whole brand. The team delivered seven different beer can designs. They also designed boxes, t-shirts, hats, tap handles, signage and posters, coolers, and more.

We engaged with Cody (Owner & Creative Director, Caava Design) and Wayne (Director of Marketing & Strategy, Caava Design). Lauren (Graphic Designer, Caava Design) also worked on our project, but we didn’t collaborate directly.

How did you come to work with Caava Design?

We interviewed several firms with craft brewery experience, but their designs lacked originality. A friend recommended Caava Design. I called Cody and liked his refreshing design insights.

My company has spent over $100,000.

The collaboration began in July 2017. Although our contract ended in December 2018, they have done some small tasks for us in 2019, and we remain in contact. Over the next few months, we plan to reengage them in a long-term contract.

We launched the new brand in May 2018 and encountered immediate success. Most stores around us began carrying several of our beer lines. Within a very short time, we were one of the top-selling new breweries in the country, per supermarket scans.

My company has signed three new distributors and entered three new states. We expect to continue expanding. Our brewery is on track to double the volume of product we did before we engaged Caava Design, and we will likely triple that number over the next year.

How did Caava Design perform from a project management standpoint?

In the crafty brewery industry, new brands must be launched by May so that the product is available in stores during the spring and summer, our busiest seasons. This meant we had quick turnaround times, but Caava Design delivered everything on schedule. Even though we were in different states and could not have in-person meetings, communication was seamless throughout the creative process.

We have been amazed by their design proficiency and knowledge of what is best for a brand. For instance, they created a red banner design that my team did not initially like. However, Caava Design knew this was the optimal branding approach, even if my company did not see it at first. Now, this design is extremely identifiable and receives excellent feedback. We are grateful that instead of modifying the design to our tastes, they defended their approach. They have created a real, long-term branding platform for our business.

I cannot think of any. They are extremely talented, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for high-level professional design.

They always adhered to the timeline.
    Costs were reasonable given the high-quality end result.
    Their deliverables were top-quality.
    I have already recommended them on several occasions.