Video Production from Concept through Completion

We're a concept-to-consumer video agency in the Bay Area, built to tell the stories of people and brands moving the world forward.

We do whatever it takes to share your story.

That means doing so much more than just filming and editing. We’re continuously learning about psychology and how to motivate behavior. We’re exploring digital strategies that can get you triple digit returns on your marketing spend. We’re finding new ways of shooting and editing to stay at the forefront of the best video techniques and practices in our industry.

Our goal is to help spread your story as far and wide as possible by being involved in the entire process.

Walnut Creek, CA
  • 1667 Botelho Drive Suite 190
    Walnut Creek, CA 94596

CiscoMeraki, PayPal, Trov, Toyota, VSCO, IBM, Intel, TurboTax, Libratone, Remo+, Allegiant Air, Bed Bath & Beyond, JBL, WordPress, Fellow Products, Whirlpool

Toyota Commercial - California Wild Man

Toyota partnered with H&L Partners and BX Films to produce this Northern California Toyota broadcast commercial.

Trōv Mobility

Trov was launching their new product platform and needed to distinguish their new Mobility platform from Trov’s existing product line. BX created this differentiation through a launch video that overlaid representative motion design over the top of lifestyle storylines.

VSCO Careers

VSCO wanted to show potential candidates what it’s like to work at VSCO. So rather than giving thousands of people a personal tour of their gorgeous offices, VSCO partnered with BX to create a video for their careers page. The goal of the video was to communicate VSCO’s ethos, work culture, and the beautiful aesthetic of their space.

Libratone’s wireless Q-Adapt headphones were a challenger to market dominators like Bose, Beats, and JBL. Libratone needed to get people’s attention with their commercial, so we created an attention grabbing commercial that doubled down on one value proposition: superior noise cancellation.

If you’re going to show off your new hybrid SUV and put it through its paces, San Francisco is the perfect location. H&L Partners and BX Films teamed up on behalf of Toyota to capture the beauty of both the vehicle and the city in this short promo. A day in the life of a bicyclist commuting off the beaten path, the spot manages to catch the spirit of loving your life and your ride in just thirty seconds. The killer

soundtrack doesn’t hurt either. Fun fact, all five locations were filmed in a day.

Alpine Investors

San Francisco based Alpine Investors is revolutionizing the world of private equity, and by extension, the world. Alpine worked with BX to highlight their unique approach to talent and internships, where interns aren’t grabbing coffee, they’re putting together deals, presenting to clients, and given extraordinary responsibility. Far from an ordinary summer program, Alpine is proving that radical

investment in people yields radical success. We loved working with Alpine, whose altogether different vision for investing is at the same time human, genius, and inspiring.

Full Scale Production for Advertising Agency

"We had a lean budget, and BX effectively balanced our cost requirements with quality."

Feb. - Apr. 2020

BX Films managed pre-production and post-production services to cost-efficiently create an ad for an advertising company’s client. After identifying a location, they filmed the ad and then edited the content.

Keenan Hemje
Senior Broadcast Producer, Duncan Channon

BX Films delivered an attractive ad that not only improved brand awareness but also satisfied multiple stakeholders. The innovative team expanded upon the brief to produce content that exceeded expectations. Their flexibility with the project’s requirements resulted in a successful partnership.

I’m a senior broadcast producer at Duncan Channon.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Films?

We had a consumer-packaged goods ad that we needed to cost-effectively shoot for our client. The ad was part of a year-long ad campaign.

BX produced our client’s ad, which was primarily one scene. They leaned on their production knowledge and found a location that worked for our setup.

Their team captured one shot of two product bags staged in a natural forest. To enhance the products, they provided art direction. Their team started with a close view of the products and then pulled out via camera zoom and a crane. This revealed the products in a lush, vast forest.

Their team then edited the content. We also worked with a colorist.

During pre-production, I was mostly in contact with two people. Their team consisted of a location specialist, 2–3 production assistants, a light specialist, a jib operator, a jib operator’s assistant, and an art department. There were around 20 people on set.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

They’re local to the Bay Area, and I make an effort to give local agencies opportunities. As a result of their salesman’s persistence, I met with him. Their reel was professional and demonstrated strong cinematography skills. I discussed projects with Ben (Founder & Executive Producer) and Beau (Creative Director & Content Creator) who then sent content that displayed their capabilities. It was impressive and cemented them as an option for future shoots.

We spent a total of $20,000 on their services. Their team did a lot of pencil sharpening to get to that number.

I reached out to them in February 2020 and the shoot was in early March. We delivered in early April 2020.

The campaign raised brand awareness by a decent percentage. It was successful.

BX executed the brief better than we thought was posible. Our client was extremely pleased with their team’s work. They thought that the ad was beautifully shot and showcased their product well.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team was extremely efficient and organized. As we had a tight budget, I appreciate BX staying as lean as possible.

I was truly impressed by their ability to balance quality and cost. There are plenty of production companies in the Bay Area; some deliver quality work at a high cost.; others offer a low cost but sacrifice quality. BX effectively balanced our cost requirements with quality. Their team’s also personable and pleasant.

No, I don’t have anything to offer.

Defend as much budget as you can because BX already brings so much to the table on a restricted budget. They could bring much more with any incremental funds that you could offer.

I would go higher if that were possible.

Video Production for Global Communications Firm

"They were very flexible, efficient, and easy to deal with, making the process extremely simple."

Oct. 2019 - Jan. 2020

After assisting with ideation, BX Films produced three short videos, to be used on the website and social media, for a third-party client. Their work also involved writing the scripts and managing the project.

VP, Global Communications Firm

BX Films' videos were of high quality and received extremely positive feedback from multiple constituents. The team was praised for their businesslike nature and project management, which made for a successful partnership. Not only were they attentive, but they were also incredibly adaptable.

I’m a vice president at a global communications firm.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Films?

One of our clients, an investment firm, was looking to create content to help showcase how the portfolio companies that they invest in think about sustainability, how their product portfolio fits into sustainability, and why this investment firm is a good partner to help them meet their goals.

So, we wanted to humanize, personalize, and bring to life the portfolio companies that the venture firm works with.

I worked with Beau (Producer) and Ben (Executive Producer) to sketch out what we were looking for, which was short videos od about 2–3 minutes in length that would live on the investment firm's website as well as be shared on social media.

I had a pretty tight budget for the project, so there wasn’t a lot of storyboarding or creative process that was needed on their end. However, the team worked with me to understand the look and feel and to make sure that the video helped to explain to potential future portfolio companies why the investment firm was a good partner.

They then helped me script some of the questions for the interview and assisted with offering the companies details on what to wear, what to be aware of, and other logistics involved in the shoots. BX Films managed the whole process without anybody from my firm on site.

The team hosted the videos on their site, which allowed us to upload them onto the final client-facing deliverable.

Beau and Ben were my main points of contact, but I did work briefly with one of their editors as well.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

I was introduced to them through a colleague at my agency who said that they were a young, passionate team who would really get behind the mission of what we were trying to do.

I ultimately chose them because I liked their video reel. They were also very flexible and willing to support the limited budget that I had because they believed in the goals we were trying to achieve.

We spent $16,500.

Our engagement lasted from October 2019–January 2020.

The clients were incredibly pleased with the production quality and thought the videos matched the look and feel that they were trying to achieve. Additionally, they commented on the team’s professionalism and highlighted the positive feedback they received from their portfolio companies.

After the shoot happened, I heard nothing but stellar reports from other individuals about how great BX Films was and how seamless the process was.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

I communicated with them mostly via email and a couple of short phone calls. They were always very responsive whenever I or the end-client had questions. Beau and Ben were really easy to talk to and I felt comfortable enough to let them manage the process.

We went through a couple of edit cycles from both my team and my end-client, and they were very open to splicing certain pieces of the interview and changing some of the imagery and b-roll. Additionally, since the product also went through the end-client as well, BX Films was very open to receiving feedback from multiple places

They were very flexible, efficient, and easy to deal with, making the process extremely simple. I didn’t feel like I had to have a ton of knowledge about video production at all.

My only comment is that there were a couple of times when the review cycle took a little longer. I don’t fault them for this because we were a lower budget project. Other than that, I would work with them in a heartbeat the next time we have to do some more video work for clients, and I would try to do it at the budget they deserve.

Share examples of the elements you like, to give a reference point even if you don’t know how to explain verbally. As long as you can share some visuals of what you like and don’t like, it’ll give the team direction.

They’re easy to work with, so you don’t need to be intimidated by being tasked with producing videos.

Commercial Video Production for Personalized Nutrition Co

“They have a passion and drive to produce great work.”

Sep. 2018

BX Films created a series of videos for a personalized nutrition startup. For each undertaking, they handled everything from ideation to post-production, which included editing and formatting for distribution.

Oakland, California
Ryan Littrell
Former VP of Design, Habit LLC

The completed videos have been well-received by the internal team. They’ve consistently impressed with their technical capabilities as well as their ability to balance complex tones in short pieces. They created media that can easily be marketed and adjusted to match the growth of the product.

I’m the former VP of creative at a personalized nutrition company.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Films?

We hired them for a few projects. One was a brand essence video that we created through another agency. We were looking for additional creative influences to push its quality over the top. Our team also worked with them on customer testimonials.

The branding essence video was the first project they completed with us. For the testimonials, we brought three different customers onto a set that looked like a home environment. There, the production crew asked them various questions about their experiences with our company and product. Afterward, they edited them for distribution on the web and television.

In our third project together, they created an explainer video for our home test kit. The kit can be used to send our company blood or DNA that we could use to put together a personalized nutrition plan. The video takes users through the various steps in the process. For instance, there was an intro screen to put the consumer’s mind at ease and detailed instructions on how to prick their finger. In that effort, their team helped us brainstorm how we could shoot the video so that it could be easily edited and changed as we made modifications to the kit itself.

In all of the projects, they handled everything from pre- to post-production. They helped us form ideas an execute them. That involved editing and formatting the content to be distributed to various channels.

There are typically three people assigned to our account: Ben (Executive Producer), Beau (Producer), and another team member. Otherwise, we worked with contractors as needed.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

I knew been and his character personally. Based on my knowledge of him, I felt that they would be an ideal team to collaborate with. They seemed nimble while bringing laughter and joy to their work. When problems come up, they generally keep their cool and move quickly to make adjustments. Overall, they had a good attitude, so we hired them.

We spent between $10,000–$25,000 on their services.

I appreciated their ability to balance tone in their videos. Particularly in the test kit video, they kept the video light and hopeful while still addressing that having clients prick their fingers can be a serious topic. The way they brought users into the journey was well-received. They also made the product pretty modular, which will allow us to make changes to it down the line.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management went well for me. They provided a pretty detailed proposal regarding how the project would break down into timelines. As tasks needed to shift, we were always able to see how it would affect us. We communicated often over email and check-in calls. I was never uncertain of the status of the project or their team’s ability to accomplish tasks according to our specifications. When issues came up, they’d bring them to our attention. That’s why they became such a trusted partner.

The initial creative ideation phase is something that this team really excels at. They have a passion and drive to produce great work. Their team was invested in our project and made sure that they delivered something they were proud to share with us. They felt like part of our team because they were invested in our success.

Everything was great. There isn’t anything that comes to mind.

With creative projects, it’s natural to want to take responsibility for creative yourself instead of truly bringing your partner into the process. Their team is eager to do great work, so I’d recommend bringing them into your brainstorming sessions. You’ll be surprised and delighted by what they bring to the table.

I’ve been promoting them at my new company.

Video Production & Photography for Mobile Gaming Co

"They felt like an extension of our team."

Nov. 2019 - Ongoing

BX Films provides full-scale video production and photography services to support a brand message for a mobile gaming company. They defined user personas, created sets, and filmed a silent video for the website.

Stephanie Jeong
Creative Director, AppLovin

BX Films delivered high-quality photographs to satisfy internal stakeholders. The team is accessible and manages the project professionally to create an enjoyable experience for subjects of the shoots. They are reliable and offer ideas to encourage collaboration and establish a valuable partnership.

I’m the creative director at AppLovin. It’s a mobile gaming company that not only produces games but also has an app network platform for developers to monetize their games.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Studios?

We hired BX Films to produce videos and photography for our website and for collateral to tell our story.

BX Films worked with our in-house teams to further define our persona. Their team found, defined, and created the right physical spaces for each persona, mapped them to the appropriate devices for that user, and told a silent story. The video will play on a loop on our site featuring a plethora of people who play mobile games. Their team created a robust set of videos that they're editing now. They also provided a photography set. Their team photographed our personas and managed a separate shoot of our executive leaders for our website to highlight our leadership.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

I was clear about what I wanted from a partner. I needed them to be a full production studio because we don’t have the time to pull together each crew member necessary to bring this project to life. I found them on Clutch, read their reviews, looked at their website and portfolio, and then interviewed them in person. Their work style matched ours and showed that they could produce the content that we wanted.

We’ve spent about $80,000.

We started in November 2019 and produced the majority of the shoot in December. We’re wrapping up post-production now, but BX Films’ work is ongoing. We weren’t able to finish in December due to scheduling issues with some of our executive leadership.

Since we’re still in post-production, we haven’t published the work externally. However, the leadership photos have been shared amongst the team and they’re happy with them. The team was also happy with the shoot itself, which was pleasant, relaxing, and special. BX Films' work is by far the best quality work that our company has produced. We’re excited to use them publicly on our page as well as for press.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re always on time. We communicate through Slack, which is how our internal team communicates. Their team’s almost an extension of our team because they’re able to communicate with us on the fly at different times. They allow us to have an ongoing, continued conversation to avoid any gaps in the project. Communication with them has been amazing.

Their personality was a game-changer. They felt like an extension of our team. Their team’s approachable and collaborative, bringing ideas to the table up front. They were eager to come our way to meet us within a day’s notice. Even with last-minute scheduling changes on our end, they’ve been able to meet by rearranging their schedules. We have a cool, creative, and trustworthy partnership.

Insight into the process’s milestones ahead of time would be helpful. I trust that we will get tasks done with BX Films, but it would be helpful for me to be able to layout the next few weeks with key milestones to the people that I report to.

Before we started looking we did our homework. We spent time thinking about what we wanted aesthetically. Being able to provide examples to their team helped BX Films become partners from the moment we met them rather than having them take a longer time to ramp up. Sit down with your team and decide who's going to be the stakeholders and approvers so that it doesn’t derail the process later on. Know the project and the project’s deliverables so that everybody understands what’s going to come out of the budget and what’s going to come out of the time invested in the project. We knew that our expertise only went so far, so we laid a foundation and gave creative freedom to BX Films to take the content to the level that it needed to be. They’re looking for a creative partnership rather than acting as just a production studio.

They haven’t missed a beat. They’ve been communicative through the whole production process.
    They were able to bring on the right crew to meet our vision even though it meant that they were going to take a smaller cut.
    They have wonderful communication and over-deliver. It’s a great creative partnership.

Recruitment Video for Private Equity Company

"Bringing in a team made a big difference."

May - July 2019

BX Films crafted a recruitment video for a private equity firm that was aiming to attract undergrads. The team was involved in all creative aspects of production.

VP of Marketing, Private Equity Firm

The video has led to positive results for the client, creating excitement amongst new recruits. The team at BX Films is flexible and skilled. Their organizational approach complemented their professional management style. Customers can expect a dedicated team that’s eager to learn.

I’m the VP of marketing for a private equity firm based in San Francisco.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Films?

We were looking to create a video primarily for recruiting purposes. We wanted to show undergrad students, a core constituent, what it's like to work here. The best way to bring that to life was through video.

It was a collaborative process with BX Films. They were creatively involved throughout. On our side, we brought the context, relaying what people who are looking into the private equity or finance industry want to know and hear about.

We worked primarily with Ben (Executive Producer, BX Films), Beau (Producer, BX Films), and Myles (Art Director, BX Films). There was a crew that came in to shoot the video during the week of filming.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

We interviewed a couple of other production companies. The big difference for us was that the team at BX Films was really excited about the story we were trying to tell and branch into an unfamiliar industry.

We started with BX Films in May 2019. The video was shot and completed in July 2019.

Internally, our team was happy with the outcome of the project. We had done similar videos in the past, and this one was much higher quality. Bringing in a team made a big difference.

When we brought in candidates during recruiting season, there was a noticeable difference. Candidates were excited and already knew about us before the interview process. They’ve had a positive impression on us.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

From a project management standpoint, their team was awesome. The team at BX Films is organized, collaborative, and flexible. With video production, there are a lot of pieces and people involved. We really appreciated that they were willing to work with everyone’s schedules by getting different teams to participate. They were well-organized throughout the entire process.

I haven’t worked with other videographers in the past, but we liked their team’s learning mindset. We also appreciated that it didn’t feel like a “one size fits all” type of project.

The team at BX Films was engaged throughout the process, remaining eager to learn about our industry and potential viewers. Overall, their team was a fun group of people to work with.

Honestly, it was a delightful experience working with them. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking to do this type of project. We would certainly use them again in the future as well.

Set expectations upfront to ensure that you know what you’re looking for in an agency or team. I think it helps to provide a robust creative brief to their team ahead of time. We documented a lot of information that we wanted them to know before starting the video, and I think it went a long way.

Overall Score They were fun to work with.
    They were very good about setting realistic expectations. Everything was done within a reasonable timeframe.
    Everyone was really happy with their work.
    We were happy to work with them.

Video Production for Danish Audio Startup

“They delivered exactly what we wanted and asked for.”

Sept. - Nov. 2017

BX Films produced two promotional product videos for an audio startup that was experimenting with a new ad unit at Google. They provided turnkey production services, including casting and on-site shooting.

Pleasanton, California
Andrew Cain
Former Head of Digital Marketing, Libratone

The videos were well-received and highly engaging, increasing organic and direct traffic and significantly boosting several key metrics. Collaborative and creative, the team met deadlines and even outpaced time estimates. Although the Google ad unit was in beta, they excelled at working with it.

I’m the former head of digital marketing at Libratone, a Danish audio startup. We’ve received funding of $150 million and strive to become a top-five audio brand in the next five years.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Films?

We launched traditional paid media ads and got some decent ROIs. However, we were buying such a large volume of ads that it became difficult to scale. We were doing direct-to-consumer marketing and investing 50% of our margins in traditional marketing channels. We relied on our stores to drive awareness and demand and ultimately sell the product. Instead, we decided to invest that 50% margin in digital marketing. We wanted to build our digital brand and grow our user base.

Our team at Google recommended a new ad unit that was just coming out in beta. They ensured us that it would enable us to scale. We needed to create two video ads, specifically for this new ad unit. We approached BX Films with the challenge of creating 30–40-second video ads for two products: headphones and wifi-enabled speakers. Within the first five seconds, we needed to show that our brand was a value product. We wanted the videos to have an infomercial style and captivate viewers so that they’d watch the full videos and then click to buy the products.

The headphones are noise canceling. What sets them apart is their touch screen interface, which allows users to skip, play, or pause songs. People associate noise-canceling headphones with certain brands, so we wanted to create a target demo that was a little bit different from traditional ads. We did market research and found that people not only use noise-canceling headphones for travel, but many were using them in open offices, a demographic that coincides with our consumer base. In the video ad, the headphones needed to be front and center the whole time so that even if people watched it with the sound off, they’d know exactly what was happening.

BX Films created two product videos for us. They provided us with a couple of options to choose from and then delivered a turnkey production service. The team did live-action videos with actors and actresses.

We worked very closely with four people. We had a main point of contact, a director, a logistics coordinator, and a writer. There were quite a few people that were on-site the day of the shoot as well.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

One of the members of BX Films reached out with an unsolicited email. The CEO of my former company kept in touch with them. We actually went and looked at other agencies first, and then the CEO suggested giving them a shot.

One of the reasons we chose BX Films was because their storyboards were much more creative than the other agencies we looked at. While none of the agencies, including BX Films, knew our product extremely well at the time they were pitching us, BX Films had the creativity that a lot of the other agencies lacked, and we latched onto that. Trying to teach them how to position the product the right way was simple, but the creative side is something our team didn’t have.

My company spent $92,900 on the two videos.

We worked with them on this project from September–November 2017.

We absolutely crushed every YouTube metric that the YouTube team gave us. This was because of good digital marketing and targeting, but also because the videos were so highly engaging. We doubled our view-through rate and more than tripled the product’s sell-through. Organic and direct traffic increased a lot. The clickthrough metrics were all about one-and-a-half times where Google had projected they would be. To this day, Google uses this project as a case study for the Google TrueView for action, or YouTube for Performance, team.

Everyone loved the headphones video; it was comical but also very product-focused, which was the type of ad that this product needed. I didn’t have to read anything or hear the video; I knew that it was an ad for headphones. I think a lot of advertisers miss that when they’re creating videos. Their videos may be cool, slick, and stylish, but they don’t include product features and attributes that are so key to the sales funnel. BX Films did a very good job of grasping that for us.

This ad unit was in beta at the time, and no one had really worked with it. We were one of the first beta testers of it, which created a challenge for BX Films. Nonetheless, they met every one of our goals.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

BX Films was great. They had a very collaborative team and absolutely knocked the creativity side of things out of the park. Our job as the client was to inform them of product features and how they needed to be positioned. They took that information and ran with it, creating an awesome video.

We had a pretty compressed timeline for the level of production that we were doing. BX Films met the deadline and even gave us the video earlier than the requested date.

BX Films is a safe bet. They have a wide breadth of videos in their product portfolio, which is one of the reasons we chose them. Their cost was within the ballpark of normal, and what we ended up paying came out to be pretty close to their projection of the final cost.

No, not really. I think they did a good job.

We have referred them and recommended them to other businesses that we interact with. The only challenge with BX Films is the level and style of video that they typically do is a higher production value video.

They were on time, and I believe they delivered ahead of schedule.
    They stayed within our budget and never tried to push us to go over. They recommended ways we could save money without sacrificing quality.
    They delivered exactly what we wanted and asked for.
    I would highly recommend them. We have recommended them several times, and I know at least one other company that has done a video with them.

Video Shoot for Advertising Agency

"They're hungry to prove what they can do, and they can and will continue to do great things."

July - Aug. 2019

BX Films supported the production of a video that incorporates two languages. They helped scout locations, hire talent, and set up visual props.

Producer, Ad Agency

The third-party client is happy with the product. BX Films successfully produced quality work within a limited timeframe and budget. They had an accessible, organized project management style. An ambitious group, they were driven by a passion for their work.

Producer at an advertising agency

For what projects/services did your company hire BX Films?

We brought in BX for a crazy fast, super lean TV shoot for our client - NorCal Toyota. The concept was no easy task, but BX agreed to join us on our nutty project and timeline. We worked with them to scout locations that worked with our very specific specs, hire talent for our very specific need, and prep and shoot for our 2 spots in 2 languages in 1 day ask.

We wanted to get enough footage to make 2 really tricky spots work in post, and for our clients’ business. BX helped us not only accomplish that but excel at it.

BX reached out for an informal meeting awhile before we were able to find a project to work with them on. They're a hungry, driven group who helps create the impossible; which is becoming increasingly more needed in the advertising business.

Describe the video(s) and the process in detail.

Once we selected BX, they started working with us to sort out the budget, the timeline, the needs, and how we could get to the finish line. Due to budget, their main goal was to location scout and ensure all of the proper parties, visual propping, and equipment/crew were in play on shoot day.

What was your vendors' project management or feedback process?

BX was very good about being available for calls and recapping their work into decks and/or emails as needed. Beau and Ben managed and produced the job with excellent instinct and drive, with the rest of their team and hired crew showing up to work just as fantastically as the two of them.

The client and teams were extremely pleased with the quality of work that came from our "run and gun" shoot. We got extremely quality work on a timeline and budget that frankly should not have allowed it. But the BX team worked a miracle for us, like they always do, being the great partners they are.

Given the project limitations, email and phone calls were our main project status points. Both sides created and managed decks to track the individual needs and pieces of the greater picture, and we each remained available to each other to keep the train moving.

The BX team has a passion for the work that they do. They have a pride in what their team can bring to a job, and work to not only service, but support and strengthen the clients and teams they work with. They're hungry to prove what they can do, and they can and will continue to do great things.

Clear estimation in an AICP format would be helpful for future projects. Producers need to understand where each dollar is going on production and though I knew we got a great deal for the work, I never really understood where cuts or favors were made and given. The total cost of what we got for our clients was never too clear and moving forward that will be a request for clarity on budget.

Overall Score BX is a great team who will get the job done, and done well.
    BX was very flexible as we dove into nailing down a shoot date and any calls leading up.
    Great cost for the work. Formal AICP bids preferred.
    Great work. Only a few misses in a run and gun shoot day that are certainly forgivable with the timeline and budget constraints.
    BX is a great local partner.

Video Production for New Insurance Product Launch

"They’re talented storytellers and care about the medium they work in."

n/a

Dec. 2018 - Jan. 2019

BX Films produced an explainer video for an insurance technology company. They provided a comprehensive range of services including, from storyboarding to shooting on location, to post-production.

Chris Pappas
Global Marketing & Communications, Trov

Internal stakeholders were pleased with the video’s communication of key messages and furthering of sales prospects. BX Films paid stand-out attention to detail and was thorough in offering options throughout the project (voice-over accent, music choice). Customers can expect an energetic partner.

I work at Trov, an insurance technology company in the San Francisco-Bay Area. I’m the director of global communications and public relations.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Films?

Primarily, we’ve been a B2C operator that created apps that helped people protect laptops and expensive devices. Part of our growth has led to more B2B opportunities, like applying insurance in smart ways for emerging technology: cars, scooters, and mobility companies.

We wanted to pivot our marketing and showcase how the same type of technology that was in our B2C products is now in our B2B offerings. BX Films was one of the providers we brought on to create our new marketing collateral.

When we thought about marketing levers we could pull, we thought one of the most educational ways to showcase how our technology works was a video. We wanted to communicate to our customers how we help with risk and reducing premiums, even though our technology is more in the background of their lives.

They were a full-service firm: storyboarding, scriptwriting, shooting on location, picking actors, inserting visual effects. They were also very collaborative in sitting down and identifying what we were solving for, how to target customers, and what our main messages were.

Most interesting was the time they spent on what I thought most firms would consider little details but actually ended up being very important, like the accent of the voice-over artist and the style of music. Everything was done with so much care, and they always provided us with a large number of options.

I worked with three main people. My point of contact was the main producer. The team was very involved, so I never felt they were juggling us. We felt like we were getting all the attention we deserved.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

We knew about them through one of their employees. The decision was made upon meeting their team and seeing their grasp of our challenge and our idea of the solution. They hit it on the head from start in what we were looking for. Moreover, they could articulate their approach and style, and we could tell it aligned with what we were looking for.

We began very late 2018, and the project was delivered in Q1 of 2019. The whole process took less than a few months. It was quite a quick turnaround.

The final video was one minute and a half-long, by choice. The idea was that it should be a quick, but not too in-depth explanation of our technology. It was perceived very well internally, which was an important marker of success for us. Folks on our engineering, product, and sales teams said the video captured our essence and the message we were trying to convey.

We’ve used the video in sales decks, our website, and in meetings with prospects and clients. It went a long way to helping us close early conversations and move people into the next stage.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

Any holdups were on us. We started the process and had a few priorities that took over. From the concept and storyboarding to shooting, they scouted and laid everything out very quickly. They were always pushing us and making us stay on deadline. I think they were very efficient, especially considering how unprepared we were. We didn’t expect an agency to necessarily handle project management this well, but they did.

They were incredibly responsive. Primarily, communication was over email. I don’t know if they used a Trello board or something like that, but email and Google Docs were enough for us.

They really care about their craft, and that was very evident in the work they did for us. They’re talented storytellers and care about the medium they work in. This comes out in how they talked about the project. That kind of passion was reassuring.

More specifically, their visual effects were very impressive. Though visual effects were part of the scope, they went above and beyond. We had a very positive experience.

No, not really. I’d actually argue that we as a client could have been better. Video production is a new thing for us, and they helped to explain the different things we could do.

It’s not specific to them, but, generally, it’s very important to go into the project knowing what you want. It takes quite a while to do, but it’s important to have a clear vision and understanding of what you’re attempting.

• N/A Cost

Recruitment & Brand Marketing for IT Company

"BX Films has been a great partner throughout all of our video projects."

July 2017 - Ongoing

BX Films has produced several recruiting and large-scale brand marketing videos. Their team crafted the videos from start to finish, including script refinements, talent acquisition, filming, and several editing rounds. Their partnership is ongoing.

Senior Brand Marketing Manager, Leading IT Company

The videos received high engagement metrics and positive feedback from company stakeholders. A flexible and reliable partner, BX Films thrives in chaos, yet still delivers. They took the time to adjust to any client needs or project setbacks while still providing production expertise.

I’m the senior brand marketing manager at a cloud networking company.

What challenge were you trying to address with BX Films?

We hired them to create high-quality recruitment and brand marketing videos. We’re owned by a worldwide IT company, but we don’t have access to their large marketing budget, so each initiative must be worthwhile.

BX Films created three recruiting videos and three more which were part of a significantly sized brand campaign. The core of the project was developing, producing, filming, and then editing the videos for our company.

We already had ideas in mind for the videos, but they initially helped with the storylines and finetuned our scripts to prepare them for the screen. Their team got the talent and location ready, then filmed and edited the videos.

I acted as a supervising producer for the overall project.

How did you come to work with BX Films?

A friend of mine freelanced with BX Films. We spoke to probably three companies for the first recruiting videos, and BX Films seemed the most professional and easy to work with. We had a productive relationship with BX Films, so we continue to work with them.

We've spent between $250,000–$500,000.

We started working with BX Films in July 2017. We’ve been working with them on and off since then, and we’re currently engaging them for another project.

Internally, we checked with senior stakeholders and employees to see if they liked the videos, and also whether it resonated with the target audience. Their reactions have generally been very positive across the board. Some of our more brand-focused videos have had good engagement metrics so far.

How did BX Films perform from a project management standpoint?

They thrive in chaos, which is always good for a video production company. Clients often have a hard time getting their ducks in a row, whether that’s agreeing on some of the creative or timelines. However, BX Films did a good job not only scoping the project but also being flexible with the timeline and amendable to any changes. They were very clear about what was needed of everyone and then, on shoot days, they were very regimented and ran that process well. They were also generous with the number of editing rounds that they gave us.

What’s great about BX Films is that they’re flexible with whatever your company needs. You get the bare minimum with some companies, or they’re inflexible and only offer one service, without the production reliability that you want. BX Films has been a great partner throughout all of our video projects. You can rely on their team to produce great content. With BX Films, it wasn’t just about getting the project done; it was about ensuring that the end product is high-quality and helpful to your goals.

My company had a really positive experience working with their team, so there’s not much they could improve on. They could broaden their services and get into more ancillary aspects of video production, but that’s a suggestion and not a criticism.

You have to be trusting, open-minded, and easy to work with. If you do all of those things, then they’re always going to be right there with you. You can’t be rigid on certain things, because there will be times in the project when you can’t cast a particular person or you have to change the content because it’s too expensive to film. That’s the nature of the business, but BX Films has creative ways to work around those obstacles, so listen to them.

They’re very punctual with the way that they work, but they do a great job adapting to any client issues.
    They are a little more expensive, but I think you get what you pay for.
    We've never worked with another company that has even come close to the end product that we've gotten from BX Films.
    I think not only are they really good at their jobs, but they're also good people. I like working with them.