Digital design for human beings.

Based in the historic city of Leicester, England, we are a small and close-knit team of digital specialists. We’re researchers, designers, developers, videographers, project managers and makers. We have diverse yet finely honed skills. We love the digital products we make and we have fun as we craft our patch inside the digital world.

2007
Leicester, United Kingdom

Jaguar Land Rover, English Institute of Sport, Sony Computer Entertainment, Warner Bros, University of Leicester, Keele University, Framework Brewery.

App Redesign for Healthia Image

App Redesign for Healthia

Bulb Studios was approached to create an app that would combine the services of an employee wellness provider and a health specialist. Through competitive market research and conversations with key stakeholders, Bulb Studios recreated the Healthia app. The redesign of Healthia has helped the app grow in popularity and has received positive reviews.

App Development for National Centre of Earth Observation Image

App Development for National Centre of Earth Observation

The National Centre for Earth Observation contacted Bulb Studios to create educational games for children to encourage their learning about Earth observation. Using NCEO’s collection of images, Bulb Studios tested a variety of game formats and conducted trials with children aged 7-11. The response to the app has been extremely positive and it is available for download on the App Store.

App Creation for Jaguar Image

App Creation for Jaguar

Bulb Studios designed an interactive app (Go I-PACE) to help prospective Jaguar customers simulate ownership of an electric vehicle. Bulb Studios worked with Jaguar Land Rover’s Electrical Engineering and Development team, created several prototypes and released the app in the summer of 2018. Now a global app, Go I-PACE supported Jaguar’s first EV launch and has received critical acclaim.

UX/UI Design for Home Rental Firm

“They are one of the most dependable companies that I have ever worked with.”

2015 - Ongoing

BULB Studios provides exceptional UI/UX support for the technology department of a home rental company. They take ideas fully to prototypes, performing market research, workflow definition, and product design.

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Head of Group Technology, Home Rental Company

The work performed by BULB Studios consistently results in simplified workflows and a measurable increase in targeted metrics like user traffic and call speed. Their team is reliable and extremely creative, focusing attention on the discovery process to most effectively solve each problem.

I am the head of group product technology for a property technology (PropTech) firm, and we are a group that specializes in a mixture of finance tech, insurance tech, and health tech products and solutions.

What challenge were you trying to address with BULB Studios?

I go to BULB studios any time I need exceptional UX/UI work done. I need to be able to simplify complex problems to present to the user in a very simple way.

For every project, I provide a brief on the situation and we went through discovery and investigation from there. They take the time to understand the market, its segmentation, and the potential users and stakeholders. From there we follow a standard process, usually revolving around identifying key workflows for the product and then wireframing the journey using industry standards.

Following the wireframing, we move into a higher definition piece of work that focuses more on UI and develops into the first full product prototypes. Their team spends a lot of time on design, delivering fully developed assets to enable my development team to focus on the digital aspects of the project. They stay on top of the latest trends in technologies, using InVision as a prototyping tool in order to collaboratively develop the final results with our team.

I work with one project lead specifically, and then also with the designers to create all of the workflows that they follow for the projects.

How did you come to work with BULB Studios?

I was introduced to BULB Studios around 2015 and have been really satisfied with their work since then and have continued to work with them.

I would estimate that we’ve spent around £120,000 in total since the beginning.

We began to work together in 2015 and are working on many different projects continuing today.

On one of our most recent projects, they updated a workflow for a particular business problem that has now seen increased user traffic by 700–800%. With a project we were working on with a large blue-chip company, we improved the workflow of a particular product, which increased the call flow capacity in our call center by 75%.

On a more general level, in all of our projects, they take a very complex business problem and simplify it to enable faster processing, and increased service to our users from that particular workflow, and that’s exactly what we look for from them.

How did BULB Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very strong performers in project management. Their team keeps me regularly updated on key deadlines and deliverables. Over the years we’ve obviously adjusted certain projects, but they’ve met every single critical deadline we’ve set for them. We use tools to communicate like Trello and Slack, but we also use email for more regular or longer messages. Across those platforms, they are consistently very responsive.

One of the things they’re particularly good at is getting under the skin of the problem and the facts that we’ve given them. If we say that we are looking to improve a user experience, they dive so deeply into the intelligence on market segmentation in the problem that they are able to come up with creative solutions that nobody else could think of. That’s why I’ve used them time and time again, and why I will continue to do so.

There isn’t anything that springs to mind. They are one of the most dependable companies that I have ever worked with.

Web and Mobile Dev for Utilities Software Company

“We couldn’t have succeeded without their expertise.”

2017 - Ongoing

BULB Studios developed a website and mobile app. Services included logo design, wireframing, UI, frontend development, and testing. The solution has launched.

Owner, Utilities Software Company

The team called upon its technical skills to create a minimum viable product, which has opened negotiations with several clients. Customers can expect a dedicated and responsive partner who integrates user feedback to improve deliverables.

I am the owner of a utilities software company which provides software and services to gas, electricity, and water utility companies to help protect their buried assets from accidental damage.

What challenge were you trying to address with BULB Studios?

We wanted a new platform to help owners of buried assets to improve their data about those assets in order to avoid accidents. I needed outside help for the project.

BULB Studios did logo design, UI, wireframing, and implementation of the public-facing website. They also did design and development of the web and mobile platforms to the point where we have a minimum viable product. I worked on the backend and database while BULB Studios worked on the frontend. We’ve primarily used the React JavaScript library, including specialized Geospatial JavaScript libraries such as OpenLayers and Leaflet.

I initially worked with the digital director, managing director, and operations Director. Earlier in the engagement, I worked with UI/UX designers, and later had a direct working relationship and communication channel with the software development team.

How did you come to work with BULB Studios?

I had met one of the founders in a different context, and my local network strongly recommended BULB Studios, so it was a happy coincidence. Contracting locally is important for the agile development process. They also embody the discovery process that we were looking for.

We began working with them in 2017 and the relationship is ongoing. We are developing the product past MVP to a full launch version this year, and we'll be continuing our close working relationship.

We couldn’t have succeeded without their expertise. We’re now engaged with several large utility businesses.

How did BULB Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

They were highly responsive to feedback we received on the platform from test users, which helped us make progress. We worked under an Agile development process and used Bulb Studios’ established systems for managing tickets, backlog, and communication.

They made us feel like a partner. Our problems became their own problems, and they did everything to try and solve them. Their range of skills ensured they could take ownership throughout the process.

No, I can’t think of anything.

Customers should become comfortable with the design foundations at the start and trust the BULB Studios process.