A Chicago-based web design agency.

BuildThis is a Chicago-based website design and support company. We value innovation, dependability and honesty but what truly separates us from the rest is our unique universal process which is focused on launching projects on time and within budget. Our universal process is broken into several phases, each with its own set of deliverables designed to minimize risk and guarantee client satisfaction with the finished product.

We are an eclectic group of foodies, animal lovers, and gameboard enthusiasts. More importantly, we all work together under the same roof which means you can get ahold of us at any time of day. We love talking to prospective clients and hearing what they’re looking to create.

Chicago, IL
  • 141 W Jackson Blvd, #1520a
    Chicago, IL 60606

Same-Day Site Dev for Marketing Firm

"Their speed and execution for the site was impressive; they turned my website into something I’m proud of."

July - July 2018

StickOutSocial redesigned a site using Wordpress for a small but growing business in a same-day-development project. They chose a theme that would allow for future changes and additions.

Jesse Maher
Founder, Digital Avengers LLC

The appearance of the site StickOutSocial created is more credible and appealing to users. The backend of the site is more organized and easy to navigate. They produced a product that meets expectations.

I’m the founder of Digital Avengers, a small digital marketing agency based in Chicago.

For what projects/services did your company hire StickOutSocial?

I needed a sharp, simple same-day-development website. The website needed a designer’s touch to make the site better.

I wanted the website I had built myself to match the look and feel of what I had envisioned.

I got in contact with Hans Skillrud (President, StickOutSocial) through networking. I had previously connected them to build a new site for two of my own clients, so it was an easy decision to pick them for my own.

They essentially stripped down what I had created on the site and started from scratch. They created the site in WordPress and consulted me on themes, design, and other aspects.

I worked with two developers.

Instantly, my SEO improved. Additionally, the backend of my site was more organized and the platform allows me to build more pages as my business grows. Though it’s too soon to see any concrete metrics, the design gives my business more credibility.

The project management couldn't have been better; they were friendly and knowledgeable.

Their speed and execution for the site was impressive; they turned my website into something I’m proud of. This team is built of hard-working pros. For a same-day-development project, they did an impressive job, to say the least.

Nope, they did a great job.

Web Development Projects for Local Marketing Firm

"They have an impressive ability to tackle troubleshooting issues to larger application projects."

May 2016 - Ongoing

StickOutSocial provides web development support on a variety of projects, from large-scale applications to troubleshooting website errors.

Carrie Krakowski
Marketing Director, Simple Machines Marketing

Communicating clearly from the start, StickOutSocial’s expert team inspires confidence throughout the project. They bring creative ideas of their own to the table and offer useful tactical advice. Responsiveness and quality deliverables are hallmarks of their work.

I’m the director of art and design for Simple Machines Marketing. I take care of everything related to creative work, outside of copy editing.

What challenge were you trying to address with StickOutSocial?

We wanted to find a development resource that was knowledgeable in WordPress and PHP applications. We didn't want to hire in-house; we were looking for a subcontractor.

They provide a couple types of services for us. One is large-scale applications. For example, they're working start to finish on a site for one of our clients. They're doing everything from building the application to deployment, and I serve as the project manager. They also help us with other smaller application issues, such as adding something or troubleshooting errors on an existing website. Usually we provide them with wireframes and designs, but they provide a lot of documentation themselves in terms of timelines and tasks to be completed for a specific project. The current project that they're working on deploying today is a research network site with multiple user scenarios and complex search functions.

I work with one main project manager, and there’s usually one developer assigned to each project.

How did you come to work with StickOutSocial?

I don't know the specific details, but our president found them. We ended up working with them because they’re able to do one-off troubleshooting assignments for us along with larger projects.

The current project they're working on is about $20,000, and we just finished a $25,000 project. In total, we’ve probably spent between $100,000–$250,000.

The engagement started around May 2016 and work is ongoing.

They have an impressive ability to tackle troubleshooting issues to larger application projects. I also really appreciate their responsiveness.

How did StickOutSocial perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very communicative—mostly through email or the phone—and super responsive. I'm always able to get a hold of the project manager. If she’s going to be out of town, she always gives me someone else to contact. It really makes it a lot easier to manage a project on my end to have her on the development side. They use Google Docs to track their timeline, and we're constantly getting status updates.

In addition to their responsiveness, they also have the ability to provide creative ideas of their own. They suggest alternative solutions that might work better than what we or the client came up with.

Be open minded to their suggestions regarding development work and best practices.

They hit their deadlines 90% of the time.

MVP Development for Logistics Platform

"Their staff is intelligent and has the ability to take on an industry they aren't well versed in..."

June 2015 - Aug. 2016

StickOutSocial created an MVP platform, performing both frontend and backend development. The team added key functionalities, including schedule tables, search options, and responsive UI/UX.

Trevor Woodland
Project Manager, HangarA

The platform was successfully completed to a high standard. The team quickly learned about an industry of which they had no previous experience, meeting timetables and deliverables. They are cost effective and have solid leadership and project management.

I am Project Manager at Hangar A, LLC. I work on strategic planning for the company, including research and analysis of domestic and international air cargo industry rules and regulations to facilitate further development of the HangarA platform. I also manage senior software engineers and structure bi-weekly development sprints, strategize and advance user experience and interface for the HangarA platform. I work on business development with various air cargo shipping customers including perishable goods, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, automotive parts, live animals, and dangerous goods.

For what projects/services did your company hire StickOutSocial?

We wanted to make MVP platform for HangarA, including both frontend and backend development. To do this, we needed help researching and analyzing the commercial airline cargo industry along with performing an assessment of competing platforms and the feasibility of integrating an FAA data stream.

Our goal was to produce a product that allows air cargo shippers to ship from point A to point B without ever having topick up the phone or use paper again.

Hans Skillrud (Founder, StickOutSocial) is a tremendous leader and his team can create robust and functional web applications, regardless of the industry.

HangarA is a complete solution for shipping cargo via commercial airlines. StickOutSocial created a technology solution similar to Kayak/Expedia/Travelocity, but for cargo shipping.

Many components and features were built into the platform. This included a search tool, the ability to access real-time flight information, and tables displaying rates and surcharges calculated based information provided by airlines. These tables were used to calculate pricing that matched with a flight PDF generator that was created based on guidelines issued by the international governing board of air cargo IATA. The PDF generator created necessary documentation for shippers.

They also worked on UI/UX that was desktop, mobile, and tablet-friendly. The backend was built to process hundredes of users simultaneously performing searches and processing queries

The team consisted of three individuals. We had a frontend developer, a backend developer, and a strategic researcher/designer.

The HangarA platform was successfully completed.

How effective was the project management?

The project management was outstanding.

They have several impressive traits. To name a few, they have great leadership, deliverables, execution, timetables, and give a good overall experience. Their staff is intelligent and has the ability to take on an industry they aren't well versed in and develop an all-encompassing tool to service air cargo shipping via commercial airlines

What tips or recommendations do you have?

They should raise their rates, they are incredibly talented.

Based on their skill set, I would have paid even more.

Web Design & Branding for Snacks Distributor

"The first website StickOutSocial built for me produces more than 10 times as many leads as my previous site."

2011 - Ongoing

StickOutSocial redesigned a website for the client as well as provided branding services and style guides, acting as the client's full-service digital agency.

Chicago Metro Area
President, Snacks Distributor

The client has seen a 10x increase in site traffic after StickOutSocial's redesign, due to both higher SEO and better UX. The client appreciates how transparent and honest StickOutSocial is, dedicated to the long-term success of their projects.

I'm the president and founder of a full-service distributor of snacks, beverages, and grocery items that services the Midwest. We also have a brand incubator that owns equity in multiple CPG [consumer packaged goods] brands. As the president, I oversee the strategy, growth, and overall success of both organizations. StickOutSocial is our go-to digital agency.

What challenge were you trying to address with StickOutSocial?

For years, I have struggled to work with a digital marketing and graphic design company that sticks to their deadlines and delivers good work. StickOutSocial is clearly client-oriented, which is something I haven’t experienced with other web developers and designers.

We were looking for a full-service agency to take on a complete brand design from the ground up. The challenge we faced here was finding one company that could do it all. We found that in StickOutSocial.

Although we have worked many times since, the original reason why I came to StickOutSocial was to have one of my company’s website redesigned. At the time, Hans (the president) was a one-person company. He took the time to identify my goals and functionality needs and set a delivery date and stuck with it. Since then, my website has seen a significant increase in leads (guessing 10 times more than the previous site) and therefore StickOutSocial earned my business for the future.

In regards to my other company, StickOutSocial was responsible for designing branding style guides and leading branding meetings with our executive team. Further, they designed all packaging and worked with our printing contractor to meet all standards of the industry. They also designed and developed our website for each product we launched (three in total). Website features and functionalities that were completed included a custom e-commerce portal for our manufacturers and distributors to log-in and manage their particular clients or order more product, extensive contact and branding submission forms, and graphic design work to bring all of our separate brands to live in distinct and creative ways.

How did you come to work with StickOutSocial?

I met with about 5 digital agencies in the Chicago area. We knew we wanted to work with a local agency. After meeting and interviewing these firms, I almost instantly knew I was going with StickOutSocial. They are boutique enough where they can give you the attention you need, but large enough to tackle any digital project. I was also getting the attention of their leadership, which I really value. It's been a great partnership ever since.

How much have you invested with StickOutSocial?

We have invested approximately $150,000.

We started working together about 5 years ago and our relationship is ongoing. I utilize them for maintenance and new projects/concepts.

The first website StickOutSocial built for me produces more than 10 times as many leads as my previous site. StickOutSocial shares data with me, showing that the site can be found more easily on search engines and that my website has become more usable by its visitors.

How did StickOutSocial perform in terms of project management?

This is one of StickOut's greatest strengths in my opinion. From my previous experience with other agencies, the developers are usually the ones providing the project management. StickOutSocial has team members that are solely committed to project management. They are the conduit between the customer and the developers, which is very helpful because they are often more effective when communicating to the developers.

What did you find most impressive about StickOutSocial?

StickOutSocial is transparent and honest. They provide BuildOut links on each of our websites allowing us to watch their process in motion and provide feedback. We appreciate their professionalism and commitment to seeing our projects not only to completion but continuing to provide an analytical assessment of how our website is fairing.

Are there any areas where StickOutSocial could improve?

When the company first started, Hans was the only person at the company. He was clearly very busy and I would have appreciated more updates during the development part of the website. That said, he did stick to his word and delivered me a great website on the delivery date. I actually provided this feedback to Hans after the first project, which he clearly took to heart because now he has dedicated project managers to help guide customers through the website development process.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with StickOutSocial?

Be communicative! Voice your opinions and let the team talk you through options and provide reasoning for different ideas. StickOutSocial collaborates well and is very knowledgeable in their field.

Overall Score Given we have come back to StickOutSocial with many other projects, it is safe to say that our overall experience with them has been greater than expected.
    During their discovery phase, we were provided with a strict timeline as to when they needed content and when phases will be complete. Our team was provided with multiple check-in dates that allowed us to evaluate the website’s progress & request changes.
    We see the greatest return on our investment with StickOutSocial than other design and development companies we’ve worked with.
    Their quality of work is wonderful. We receive many compliments on our websites.
    StickOutSocial is unlike any other website company we have worked with. It is appealing that they create everything in-house and actually work with us on creating the website rather than doing it entirely themselves, leaving us without a voice.