Go Where Others Won't

Breakaway is a brand capital firm that invents, reinvents and reinvigorates brands. Our unique platform of strategy, creative, activation, venture investment and talent placement builds brands, accelerates growth and creates meaningful value for companies big and small. We invest our time, money, heart, soul, minds, lives and futures into it day in and day out. We are believers in brand. We are investors in brand. We are brand capitalists.

2006
Boston, MA
  • 399 Boylston St, 5th Floor
    Boston, MA 02116
  • New York, NY

Marketing Strategy for Cloud Management Technologies Provider

“They’re one of the best firms I’ve worked with throughout my 30-year career.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Breakaway developed a marketing strategy to attract new and relevant customers. After identifying consumer trends, they utilized inbound and content marketing campaigns to influence a specific marketplace.

Raleigh, North Carolina
Mike Toro
CEO, Embotics

Breakaway’s effective marketing tactics have significantly increased a solution’s value. Revamping the brand’s overall messaging improved a company’s reputation with their industry. Executive-level engagement facilitates a creative and productive project. They’re skilled and valuable partners.

I’m the CEO of Embotics. We’re a software company that provides cloud management technologies to large enterprises and service providers.

What challenge were you trying to address with Breakaway?

Our business has evolved alongside technology over the past 11 years. As a result, we needed to find a different way to promote our products and solutions. The brand’s overall messaging needed to match our value propositions to our audience.

Breakaway identified trends in the marketplace, compared their findings against ours, and made strategic recommendations to help us attract new and different audiences. Taking the time to verify what they discovered set us up for a successful project. Once we agreed on a strategic approach, we let them handle the implementation of said tactics.

That process involved using creative design principles and various media channels to influence the marketplace. They integrated their methods with our public relations firm to create a strategy around both our experts and products. Their team utilized inbound and content marketing to ensure Embotics is known as a leader in our field.

I work with Ted (CEO, Breakaway) directly. He’s the strategist leading our engagement. However, my marketing team interacts with 4–5 resources from Breakaway to handle implementation.

How did you come to work with Breakaway?

The public relations firm we work with recommended them as a possible resource. We considered half a dozen companies, but Breakaway’s team impressed me the most.

We’ve spent around $150,000 at this point.

We started working together in June 2017, and it’s an ongoing engagement.

Breakaway’s contributions have helped us solidify deals that wouldn’t have been possible otherwise. They’ve enabled us to elevate the value we receive from customers on an annual basis. When this project started, we were averaging around $50,000 per customer per year. Today, we’re averaging over $150,000 per customer per year on a software subscription basis. That increase stems from repositioning our solution, instead of creating new technology.

How did Breakaway perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve been tremendous at hitting deadlines and doing so efficiently. Ted is an aggressively dynamic and goal-oriented individual. I've been incredibly impressed with how he sets goals and communicates tasks at an executive level. He’s determined to achieve objectives for his clients.

A lot of vendors like to talk about metrics, lead generation, and other typical tactics. However, they’re more than the average marketing firm. I love Breakaway’s creativity and ability to cultivate a positive controversy in a given marketplace. They generate real consumer attention, and that turns into actionable business for my clients. Additionally, Ted uses a combination of modern marketing techniques and traditional advertising principles to captivate audiences.

They’re one of the best firms I’ve worked with throughout my 30-year career. There is no such thing as a perfect service provider, but Breakaway reliably delivers results.

Have an initial conversation with Ted regarding each project’s goals and objectives. While the entire Breakaway team is great, it’s Ted’s influence that sets them apart from similar vendors.

They’ve met every deadline thus far.
    They deliver consistent results.
    I’ve recommended them many times.

Design and Marketing for Athletic Nonprofit

"We look at the partnership with Breakaway as a mutually successful one."

n/a

Jan. 2011 - Dec. 2018

Breakaway performed various creative design and marketing services to promote a fundraising event. The team designed a website, held strategic sessions, created marketing collateral, and revamped branding.

Needham, Massachusetts
Bill Alfano
Director of Marketing & Sponsorship, PMC

Fundraising and attendance increased substantially as a result of Breakaway’s efforts. Their creative, professional and enthusiastic team met every deadline and took scope changes in stride. The skilled expertise their team exhibits provides an essential perspective toward their work.

I’m the director of marketing and sponsorship of PMC, a nonprofit organization. Our mission is to raise money for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute through a bike-a-thon in Massachusetts.

What challenge were you trying to address with Breakaway?

We were launching a new indoor spin event, and we’re looking for help with branding, idea generation that would bring in riders, and strategy for fundraising.

Before I joined the organization, Crunch Brands, the previous company that merged with Breakaway, developed a website from scratch. Since then, their team launched a website for our spin event. They designed the creative elements of the site. Breakaway has also created graphics, email templates, and other marketing collateral.

Breakaway revamped our brand to be more in line with who we are as an organization and what the event itself was. We initially launched under the Resolution by PMC. With their help, we relaunched as the PMC Winter Cycle, which required a logo, different recruitment options for riders, and wording. We moved the event to Fenway Park, and Breakaway strategized and brainstormed with us every step of the way.

Ted (CEO, Breakaway) is our primary contact. We generally meet with two to four people, and they report back our requests to their internal team.

How did you come to work with Breakaway?

Ted was a rider in one of our events. He had conversations with our executive director and V.P. of Operations, and it came up that they were looking for an agency to improve the website. After discussing strategy, they decided to work with Crunch Brands and continued the partnership when Ted became a part of Breakaway.

We worked with Breakaway from January 2011 to December 2018.

When we relaunched with a new name and new location for the event, participation through fundraising and riders more than doubled. We took the lead on some things, and their team took the lead on others. The plan is to work on another project with their team soon. We look at the partnership with Breakaway as a mutually successful one.

How did Breakaway perform from a project management standpoint?

Working with Breakaway is an excellent experience. Their energetic team is always on time and continually hits deadlines. They provide fantastic ideas and strategies and use their employees to their full potential. It’s a pleasure to work with Breakaway.

Breakaway builds different internal teams to work on various projects. I like to think we’re experts in what we do, but it is nice to get an outside perspective that can bring in ideas across industries and apply those to what we’re doing on the creative and logistical side. I think that expertise is invaluable.

No, there are none that I can think of. Breakaway is an exceptional agency.

This is something I had to go through as well. Follow the process and know that the process will work. I came from a sports and media background, working with different methods. It’s always hard to get involved and trust something new when you’re experienced in other procedures. I was resistant in the beginning, but once I jumped in, it paid off.

Overall Score Results doubled and tripled since working with Breakaway.
    They’re great about hitting deadlines and making any changes we needed.
  • N/A Cost
    Their work is professional and top-notch. If there is a change in our business, they’re amenable to work on those.
    I thoroughly enjoy working with Breakaway, and their process would be a great experience for anybody.

Advertising and Marketing for a Dog DNA Testing Company

“What separates them from their competition is their commitment to forming real partnerships.”

Sept. - Nov. 2018

Breakaway developed and executed a full-package marketing campaign for the holiday season. They created branded materials, website assets, and a variety of ads (e.g., television, Facebook, subway, radio).

Boston, Massachusetts
Doug Reffue
VP of Marketing, Embark Veterinary

Breakaway’s campaigns generated tangible KPI results across the board. In addition to increasing customer engagement online, the team improved conversion rates year over year and even generated new business opportunities. They invested heavily in the brand, allowing them to tailor their approach.

I’m the VP of marketing at Embark Veterinary. We offer a direct-to-consumer DNA test for dogs.

What challenge were you trying to address with Breakaway?

As we headed into the 2018 holiday season, we engaged Breakaway to help us create an execute a branded holiday-themed campaign for our dog DNA test. A large portion of our business is seasonal, so it was imperative to have a multi-channel creative strategy that was ready to launch by early November.

Breakaway developed a complete package of branded holiday collateral, including website assets, direct mail design and layout, Facebook Ads, retargeting ads, subway ads, and radio scripts. We provided data on our personas and target markets, and they addressed those demographics across all of our channels.

One of the larger projects was a 30-second television ad, which involved a fluid creative process. Breakaway helped us develop the concept before showing us multiple ways to execute it. They then wrote various potential scripts, and we went back and forth through the edits.

I mostly interacted with a team of 4–6, including a project lead who served as our main point of contact. They also provided a production crew for the television ad.

How did you come to work with Breakaway?

I’ve been in the Boston creative marketing scene for a couple of decades, now, so I already had contacts in my network who had worked with them.

We spent over $100,000.

Their work lasted from September–November 2018, with a firm deadline on November 7th. This was important because we were being listed on Oprah’s Favorite Things.

Breakaway focused on achieving tangible successes across all of our key performance indicators (KPIs). Their campaigns contributed to increased site traffic and engagement while decreasing bounce rate. We also saw strong conversions on both our site and Amazon account, which ushered tremendous year-over-year growth during the holiday season.

Anecdotally, I noticed that our subway ads were generating chatter offline and on Facebook. Customers even asked for our products in brick-and-mortar pet retailers who, in turn, contacted us for potential business opportunities.

How did Breakaway perform from a project management standpoint?

It was a streamlined workflow, and we communicated in real time using Slack. If we ever had any scope creep, they would remain flexible and worked quickly to accommodate us. I also appreciated how KPI-focused they were. At every step, they took the time to understand how our program performed from a quantitative standpoint and adjusted accordingly.

I’ve worked with dozens of creative agencies over the past 20 years, and, without a doubt, Breakaway has been the best firm so far. What separates them from their competition is their commitment to forming real partnerships. They go above and beyond to immerse themselves in the client’s brand, making a personal and professional investment in understanding and identifying the most critical success factors.

No, not that I can think of. Their performance was exemplary, and nothing stood out to me as a negative.

Call them and you’ll see how they’ll go the extra mile to bring meaningful value to your brand.

Overall Score They strive to form meaningful partnerships and add value to your business.
    They were always available.
    It was a fantastic value.
    They’re deadline-driven and worked quickly to deliver high value.
    They’re clearly among the best creative agencies I've encountered.