Unexpected Thinking

BrandTuitive is a branding agency based in New York City. As branding experts, we say that we don't create brands, but rather, we reveal them. Creativity that is deeply rooted in powerful strategic thinking and our passion for results set us apart.

New York, NY
headquaters
  • BrandTuitive
    733 Third Avenue, 15th Floor
    New York, NY 10017
    646.790.5708

Nespresso, Economist Magazine, Simply Wine, ShopKeep, Eva Fehren Jewelry, MRCE Foundational Engineering, Fulfill (formerly FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties), Axioma, MRCE, Episcopal Relief & Development

OUT OF HOME SPECTACULAR - BUS SHELTERS

TURNING HEADS WITH BIG MACHINES IN BIG MARKETS

CHALLENGE:

Nespresso needed to make a really BIG spash in Boston when they opened their new boutique and needed to GRAB the attention of housewares buyers in Chicago when they introduced Vertuoline at the IHA Show in McCormick Center.

CORE INSIGHTS:

Key transportation routes for our target audiences in both markets in and around our target venues involved local city buses. BrandTuitive designed a multi-layer strategy that demanded awareness and drove foot traffic directly to our target venues.

WHY WE'RE PROUD:

BrandTuitive turned heads when we transformed bus shelters into larger-than-life Nespresso coffee machines. From creative concept and design to interactive digital displays and in-market activation, we ensured Nespresso dominated the streets of Chicago and Boston.

...

NATIONAL DIRECT MAIL

ATTRACTING INFOLECTUALS ACROSS AMERICA

CHALLENGE:

The Economist magazine has been a highly revered news and human interest publication across Europe for decades. Newer and less well known in the United States, subscription growth for the publication had slowed. They needed a new, bold and on-brand approach to jumpstart subscriptions.

CORE INSIGHTS:

Current and potential readers of The Economist see themselves as just a bit smarter and wittier truth seekers whose thirst for the latest take on world events is nearly unquenchable. They are smart and always seek more knowledge.

WHY WE'RE PROUD:

For this campaign, BrandTuitive coined the term INFOLECTUAL to appeal to the smart and motivated crowd that favors the Economist Magazine. This 16-page direct mail piece attracted the highest response rate of any mailing over the previous four years.

WINNING AGAINST HUNGER IN NEW JERSEY

CHALLENGE:

Formerly The Food Bank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties, the agency's name and messaging did not adequately communicate the high quality and variety of services they offer to their clients. Their look and feel was dated and had to better reflect their industry-changing work.

CORE INSIGHTS:

Calling Fulfill a “Food Bank” did not communicate that they do much more than simply distribute food. They also offer food stamp assistance, affordable health care and more. Fulfill’s constituents want an organization that helps the local community and shares their results.

WHY WE'RE PROUD:

The new name, Fulfill, communicates the work they do fulfilling ALL the needs of the hungry. Immediately following the rebrand, more media than ever have asked to feature Fulfill in broadcast, print and digital PSAs.

MASTERS OF HIGHLY COMPLEX FOUNDATIONAL ENGINEERING

CHALLENGE:

MRCE employs some of the most brilliant engineering minds and has solved some of the world’s most complex underground challenges. However, they were not communicating this extraordinary sophistication in their brand look or messaging.

CORE INSIGHTS:

Clients trust MRCE's innovative solutions to complex engineering problems. MRCE work kept lower Manhattan from flooding after 9/11 due to the foundations they designed beneath the Twin Towers. They also possess unique engineering resources that, when combined, provide an asset that no other engineering firm can match.

WHY WE'RE PROUD:

BrandTuitive transformed the brand messaging and tagline of MRCE to reflect their masterful foundational engineering, communicating highly complex services in a meaningful and understandable way.

GREAT WINE DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR DOOR

CHALLENGE:

Simply Wine needed a brand messaging platform and visual identity that would convey their unique brand spirit among a growing group of competitive home wine delivery mobile apps.

CORE INSIGHTS:

Simply Wine’s customers want things simple. They don’t want to overthink wine buying or become wine experts themselves, but they DO want to make sure they are getting amazing quality wines. Simply Wine makes the often complicated wine selection process easy and friendly with a limited selection of great hand-selected wines, all under $25.

WHY WE'RE PROUD:

BrandTuitive developed a brand position, messaging platform, visual identity and logo reflecting the fun personality of the brand. Consumers are assured that their life will be simplified in a friendly, easy to understand and approachable way.

HELPING RETAILERS MAKE SMARTER BUSINESS DECISIONS

CHALLENGE:

ShopKeep, a cloud-based point-of-sale startup was jockeying for position in a very competitive and well-funded marketplace. ShopKeep needed to differentiate itself and attract venture capital so they could scale quickly.

CORE INSIGHTS:

ShopKeep’s core customers are small retailers such as bakeries and coffee shops. BrandTuitive learned that these shop owners were afraid of making bad business decisions that could put them out of business. For them though, ShopKeep is the technology created by a merchant like them and is designed to help them make smart business decisions.

WHY WE'RE PROUD:

BrandTuitive created messaging for ShopKeep based on the smarter business decision insights. ShopKeep has grown to over 22,000 customers and has received venture capital totaling nearly $100 million.

Branding Strategy for Large CPG Corporation

"BrandTuitive has an exceptional first-class team. They're a joy to be around and they work their tails off."

1,000,000 - 9,999,999

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

BrandTuitive provides ongoing support for creative development, brand strategy, and promotional communication.

Trade Marketer, Large CPG Corporation

The client praises BrandTuitive for their flexibility. They are able to accommodate large corporations despite being a smaller agency.

We're a large CPG [consumer packaged goods] company. I am in charge of trade marketing for the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with BrandTuitive?

The primary challenges or ongoing needs we face are around the brand and promotional communications towards our customers.

BrandTuitive has been used extensively for creative development, be it for email, direct mail and point-of-sale materials, sales collateral, radio scripts and so on. We've also used BrandTuitive for planning and strategy work, as well as secondary research and program and event execution. BrandTuitive has worked as an extension of my team, helping me drive projects at times when we needed help. They're willing to jump in and do whatever it takes to help us win.

How did you come to work with BrandTuitive?

BrandTuitive is the agency with which I began working in my current role, so they were already associated with my company when I joined.

How much have you invested with BrandTuitive?

The cost of BrandTuitive's work has been around $500,000 per year.

I started working with BrandTuitive in the first quarter of 2016. The work has been growing over time.

There aren't many business results that we can directly point to, given the nature of our company, but we've had generally positive feedback for BrandTuitive's work, both internally and externally, from customers and consumers. They've reacted positively to the pieces produced by BrandTuitive, and to the experiences which we delivered at events. Most of our work is new, not just legacy material.

How did BrandTuitive perform from a project management standpoint?

As far as project management and client service go, BrandTuitive is in the A+ category. When it comes to proactive tracking, I would rate them an A-, but that's more to do with me wanting more than the norm in that regard. One of BrandTuitive's strengths is that they're buttoned-up on these issues.

What did you find most impressive about BrandTuitive?

BrandTuitive has stood out through flexibility. The team is good at what it does, which is being a general marketing agency. Whether I need a big or a small project, or whether I need it done fast or more strategically, BrandTuitive is on top of it. They deliver things on time, in full, without excessive revision rounds. We occasionally push BrandTuitive to the limit, but more often than not, they've been able to accommodate us. For an agency of its size, BrandTuitive is surprisingly nimble and able to adapt. Having worked in the agency space myself for 10 years, I know that setting client expectations is important. BrandTuitive does this very well.

Are there any areas BrandTuitive could improve?

I can't critique them in any way that would be fair. Everybody has developmental issues; as BrandTuitive learns about our company more, they will adapt better. I've been very happy so far, and I wish that BrandTuitive had even more capacity.

Overall Score BrandTuitive has an exceptional first-class team. They're a joy to be around and they work their tails off.
    If BrandTuitive misses something, they're very good about prioritizing and managing expectations.
    BrandTuitive is not at all high-priced for this market.
    I give BrandTuitive a 5 for service, and a 4.5 for deliverables.
    If I no longer needed their services, I would recommend BrandTuitive for the same type of work.

Brand Strategy for Executive Search Firm

"BrandTuitive was always upbeat, positive and excited about what we were doing together, and there was never an aspect of stress or negativity."

Aug. - Oct. 2016

As a startup, the client used BrandTuitive to get their business off the ground by elevating their brand through website development, strategy consulting, and logo redesign.

New York, USA
Founder, Executive Search Firm

This client sees BrandTuitive as more than a branding agency; they are business consultants that care equally as much about the project success and results.

We are a New-York-based executive search firm dedicated to the tax profession. We recruit CPAs and MSTs for public accounting firms, and also conduct searches for banks', hedge funds', and media companies' tax departments. We were founded in 2013, and have 2 employees, in addition to myself.

I am the founder and president of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with BrandTuitive?

We had a lack of awareness around what branding was, and what value it could add to a startup business. We needed help getting off the ground, identifying opportunities for improvement, and benefiting from the monetary result of this.

BrandTuitive worked with us from the beginning, adding a lot of value around the branding and marketing around our website, business cards, and so on. BrandTuitive provided website development, strategy consulting and logo redesign. BrandTuitive also conducted customer and accountant interviews and provided valuable feedback to us. The investigation revealed what was being said about us, why it was being said, and who we were as a brand. We were at the 101 position so, when it came to strategic consulting, BrandTuitive was very patient, accessible, and took our firm from the ground level, helping us push things forward. There was a lot of advising done on an hourly basis, in addition to the brand work done by BrandTuitive. Rather than a branding or marketing agency, I see BrandTuitive as business consultants. The work ended up being much bigger than I thought it would be, and BrandTuitive has remained on a shortlist of people whom I call for advice. At times, they've cared equally as much as us about our results and success. This is profound, and I haven't seen it often.

How did you come to work with BrandTuitive?

I found BrandTuitive through proximity. Their company shares office space with ours, along with other startups and small businesses on the same floor. We started building a relationship and gained an understanding around what BrandTuitive did. We developed a trust factor, and I felt more comfortable going to BrandTuitive, rather than finding someone online or asking around. It was smooth sailing from there. Trust is a big issue, and we already had it. We have a vibrant relationship, and I was attracted by the fact that BrandTuitive's people love what they do, and they're good at it.

How much have you invested with BrandTuitive?

The cost of BrandTuitive's services was between $10,000 and $50,000.

Our consulting project ran for 2-3 months in the summer of 2015. Our design project for the website and branding materials was a much larger project. It ran in 2 phases, from August to October 2016. I continue to go to BrandTuitive with questions, and use them as business advisors.

The website project was wrapped up 2 weeks ago, so it's tough to say if it translated to sales. Our business cycle is longer, given that placing CPAs and MSTs into jobs takes some time.

From a business standpoint, results go to the "who we are" aspect of the brand that BrandTuitive helped reveal. BrandTuitive brought an element of pride into what we're doing, by showing us in what our clients are saying, what the keywords are, and so on. We couldn't get better than that when it comes to building a foundation for the business. We were able to integrate this into our website, business cards, and so on.

What did you find most impressive about BrandTuitive?

I expect a lot from vendors, but I give BrandTuitive a lot of credit for their patience and ability to work collaboratively with me. Their team is very detail-oriented, and they care deeply about the work. This is impactful for adding value to the clientele. I also liked the overall vibe: it was a fun project, BrandTuitive was always upbeat, positive and excited about what we were doing together, and there was never an aspect of stress or negativity. Working with an agency which operates like this is contagious.

Are there any areas BrandTuitive could improve?

I really can't think of anything. I was thrilled with how BrandTuitive revealed our brand, and with how they collaborated with us. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Brand Positioning for Luxury Jewelry Company

"[BrandTuitive] took a lot of time to understand us and understand the market."

BrandTuitive provided brand positioning, customer reaction, and messaging for the client and also helped with their bio copy and elevator pitch.

CEO, Luxury Jewelry Company

The client notes that BrandTuitive’s work has definitely been recognized, as they have received feedback that their brand is now very consistent within the marketplace. They describe BrandTuitive as genuine, committed, and supportive.

We're a luxury jewelry manufacturer and wholesaler based in New York. We also manufacture our goods in New York. We have a large wholesale business with high-end luxury accounts such as Barneys, Jeffrey, as well as smaller stores like Hirshleifers, Neapolitan, and Forty Five Ten. We have been in business five years. We launched in October of 2011.

I'm the Chief Executive Officer.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BrandTuitive?

We were the winners of the CFDA Vogue Fashion Fund in 2014. As a result, we were paired with a mentor, John Idol, the Chairman of Michael Kors. He really had us spend a lot of time working on our brand, and figuring out who our target customer was so we would represent ourselves properly. We were going to be reworking our website, taking next steps after quite a bit of success early on. Someone introduced us to BrandTuitive, and it seemed like a good time for us to get a third-party perspective on our brand image and how we were viewed in the market.

They did brand positioning, customer reaction, and messaging for us. They also have recently helped us redo our bio and “about us” copy on our website, as well as in our look-book. Most recently, they've helped us work on our elevator pitch, an even briefer way for us to communicate our brand.

While their work has been great for our marketing efforts, it’s also been tremendously useful for our internal team, and how we view the company.

It was in the $10,000 to $50,000 range.

We’ve been working with BrandTuitive for over a year. Most of the work happens on an as needed basis.

Could you share any results or metrics from this engagement?

Recently, we’ve been conducting more interviews in the media and we are using a lot of the language and themes that BrandTuitive developed for us. I'm not sure if there's a quantitative metric that I can use, but it's definitely helped us with the overall voice of the company. We have been told that we are very consistent within the marketplace, so it is being recognized.

How did BrandTuitive perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great. We have limited resources here, and they dove right in and continued to push us along by checking in but not being overly intrusive by any means.

What distinguishes BrandTuitive from other providers?

They're very genuine, and I definitely felt like they were fully committed to the work. I think we might be the first jewelry business they’ve worked with, but they were incredibly supportive and dove right into the industry. They took a lot of time to understand us and understand the market.

Overall, it’s been a very positive experience. We've also recommended them to other design companies that are looking for consistency across their brand.

Is there anything BrandTuitive could have improved or done differently?

No, I can’t think of anything.

If anything, it was more delay on our end.
    They were able to work with us, understanding the position we were in. I feel like they've been very fair with us.
    We're still working to get the language exactly right, and that may be an impossible feat. They've definitely worked with us to get it to a really strong, positive place.
    I already have.

Brand Messaging Project for New Jersey Foodbank

"I always felt very well taken care of by Jeanine [Debar, president at BrandTuitive] and the rest of their team."

Summer 2015 - Ongoing

BrandTuitive provided a complete analysis of the client’s brand in their service area. They then developed a messaging guide and rebrand, which is currently being rolled out.

Neptune, NJ
Carlos Rodriguez
Executive Director, The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties

BrandTuitive’s comprehensive process allowed them to distill a wide variety of perspectives into one common message that resonated both internally and externally for the client. The client is impressed and highly optimistic for the new brand.

The FoodBank of Monmouth and Ocean Counties, is a primary provider of food and other services in central New Jersey. With our fabulous network of more than 300 partner agencies we have a combined reach of about 131,000 people. We've been around for more than 30 years and, in the last five years, our interpretation and programming of how to best address the problem of hunger in our community has evolved.

I have the pleasure of serving as the executive director of the FoodBank.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BrandTuitive?

Our biggest challenge is people hear "foodbank" and they immediately assume "food," but there's much more to what we do. For example, we feed the people who wait in line outside our building, but we're also working to make those lines shorter by attacking root causes of hunger through various programs we're enacting. However, it can be difficult to articulate those programs in a clear and concise way without losing the framework that is at the core of who we are.

So far, BrandTuitive has provided a complete analysis and study of what our current brand is in our service area. They took a very methodical approach, and were exhaustive in interviewing a number of different stakeholders from donors to government partners to staff members to agency partners to board members and even our clients to get an understanding of how we are perceived in the marketplace. From that, they developed a messaging guide and gave brand recommendations.

How did you come to work with BrandTuitive?

We had a full RFP [request for proposal] process with a number of agencies. We ended up inviting a couple of agencies who have experience doing nonprofit work, and who had worked with organizations we were familiar with. I think we originally found BrandTuitive because they were recommended by a colleague but, ultimately, we went with them because they came out on top in the bidding process.

We started the initiative in the late summer [2015], after our budget was passed and funding was approved for the process. We tried to wrap things up in January [2016] but, because of winter scheduling problems, we didn't end up presenting to the board of directors until March.

I would say the results were overwhelmingly positive. They were able to capture and translate the approaches of a wide range of constituents and stakeholders and distill those into a common message that resonates on both ends, externally and internally, to the point where we had board members who were close to tears after the brand reveal.

We knew messaging was key for us. From this focus on messaging, BrandTuitive ended up recommending a full change in brand, name, and logo. We're in the very early stages of the rollout, so it's hard to talk about results, but we are very hopeful and excited about the possibilities.

What distinguishes BrandTuitive from other providers?

Again I would say BrandTuitive's ability to get consensus across such a wide range of people is what stands out to me. You have board members who are more analytical, and then you have those who are very creative. They were able to zoom in on one, and then the other, in a way that created a very comprehensive experience.

Also, their ability to articulate a methodology and stick to it, but not to the point where it stifled creativity, was impressive. I always felt very well taken care of by Jeanine [Debar, president at BrandTuitive] and the rest of their team. They were very conscious about letting me know what was going on every step along the way, which made me comfortable. The project was high touch and low touch as needed, and that translated into a tremendous experience.

Is there anything BrandTuitive could have improved or done differently?

They were amazing in their ability to read the room. No matter who's speaking, you can tell that they are listening intently, and figuring out how to guide the conservation. Occasionally, that process can be a little time-consuming. That's the only feedback I have.

Overall Score I plan to continue working with them in the future.
    This is not a project that we undertook lightly, and we don't plan on doing it again for a very long time. From my perspective, we got plenty of value for our money.
    Can I go higher than that? I have already recommended them to several friends of mine. They're just tremendously easy to work with.

Branding for Software Solutions & Wine Delivery Startups

"I knew [BrandTuitive] would give me the time and attention I wanted."

BrandTuitive developed the brand strategies for both of the client’s new companies, including research, taglines, logos, design, and advertising.

Founder, Software Solutions & Wine Delivery Startups

The client feels that BrandTuitive truly understands how to build a strong and lasting brand and credits their work for the successful funding of both of their startups, noting that it allowed them to stand out from the competition.

BrandTuitive has worked with two of my companies. The first is ShopKeep, a software and cloud-based solutions provider for small businesses. The other company is Simply Wine, a wine delivery, and subscription company.

I'm a co-founder of ShopKeep, and a co-founder and CEO of Simply Wine.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BrandTuitive?

It's the same one everyone faces – how do you distinguish your company from everyone else's? Every business should use a branding agency, but many aren't willing to spend the money, which is their loss.

For example, it's very important to give your team members the correct titles, depending on the type of business you're in. At ShopKeep, BrandTuitive helped us make the decision to call our sales' people, Sales Specialists. The name fits because their work is so much more complex than a traditional sales job. Our Sales Specialists take a very consultative approach, and coming up with a name like that helps sharpen the focus on our end, and differentiate us in the eyes of our customers.

First, they helped us come up with a tagline based on what the brand is. What I like about their approach to any branding problem is, they actually talk to customers – a lot of customers. They have a very neat method where they ask customers a range of different questions, and they look into the words that the customers use to decide what our problem was solving for them. They listen for similar words and similar ways that people are talking about it because branding is all about what other people think when they hear your business. It's a really great method because they end up with a really get a good picture of what the business is about, instead of just coming up with a plan based off what I told them I want to be.

I think brand strategy is they're best at, but they're also really strong in design. They did the logos for my new company, Simply Wine and have done some advertising work for me. They do have digital capabilities, but I don't think that's their focus as much.

How did you come to work with BrandTuitive?

I found them through some basic Internet searches. What I really liked about BrandTuitive was that they understood classic branding and classic psychology around branding. They were the only people I talked to who had read the book "Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind." They knew the book, and they lived it. That stuff hasn't changed. It seems old fashioned to most firms, but it's the core of branding strategy and they got that. What pushed me over the edge was their size and the fact that I knew they would give me the time and attention I wanted.

For Simply Wine, I've spent more than $100,000 so far. ShopKeep's work was probably more than that.

For ShopKeep, they worked with us for two or three years. Eventually, I had a marketing team in-house who took over all of it. At Simply Wine, they've been working for me for slightly less than a year, and we're about to start ramping up even more work with them.

BrandTuitive was with us from the beginning, before we even launched the products. ShopKeep now has 250 employees, and more than 18,000 customers. The company has been an amazing success, and is still growing quickly. In our early days, I'm not sure if we could have gotten the venture funding we did, without BrandTuitive's work. It really allowed us to stand out from our competition. A lot of tech firms can build technology, but they don't understand anything about marketing, branding, and sales. With BrandTuitive's work we looked a lot more well rounded.

What distinguishes BrandTuitive from other providers?

BrandTuitive's strength is their strategy work. They don't get tied up in the new or cool thing. Branding is not all about hot design. It's about the emotion the design evokes, and you can only get to that through a solid brand strategy. Their work is more solid, and has a long-lasting quality about it. It's not the kind of work that's going to be hot for a little while and then you're going to have to redo it.

Is there anything BrandTuitive could have improved or done differently?

I would say an opportunity for improvement on their end is beefing up their digital capabilities. They're not strong in that capacity, and I ended up using other agencies to do that work.

They're not cheap, but I'd still give them a five for what they've done for me. I've invested about as much money in BrandTuitive's work as I have in the rest of the business for Simply Wine.
    Half off for some of the web stuff that was missing, but they've since fixed it.
    Absolutely. I've recommended them on numerous occasions and will continue to do that.

Branding and Marketing Campaign for Global News Publication

"Brandtuitive is always very responsive and works well under pressure."

BrandTuitive worked with the client to find an alternative acquisition direct mail package for their U.S. market. They have since assisted with copy for creative and marketing campaigns.

VP of North American Circulation, Global News Publication

BrandTuitive’s investment in understanding the client’s brand and the quality and integrity of their work have led to a strong partnership with the client. Their copy has performed very well in tests against the client’s control banners.

The Economist newspaper was established in 1843 in the United Kingdom. It is published weekly and covers global news and events.

What is your role at the company?

I am the head of the North American circulation, an $85 million revenue business.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BrandTuitive?

The first time we approached BrandTuitive was to find an alternative acquisition direct mail package for the United States market. Since then, they have worked on online creative campaigns, copywriting for offline acquisition campaigns and assisted with brainstorming an experiential marketing campaign to target new subscribers.

How did you come to work with BrandTuitive?

Jeanine [Debar, president at BrandTuitive] and I have known each other for some time, and actually worked at the same company for several years. When I was looking for an agency partner at The Economist, I knew I didn't want to hire one of the large New York City firms. When you work with the larger agencies, you get the same quality of work but with much less customer service than you get at a small boutique agency. With that in mind, the choice to go with BrandTuitive was a no-brainer.

The projects rates have varied depending on the needs. The fees ranged from $3,000 to $25,000.

Timelines have been between two days and six weeks, depending on the project. However, no matter how little notice we give them, BrandTuitive is always very responsive and works well under pressure.

Their direct mail package came slightly ahead of our control package, which was the first time another format performed this way. The online campaigns had a combination of winning creative as well as softer creative that performed very well in our tests against the control banners. The experiential campaign is still in the works.

How did BrandTuitive perform from a project management standpoint?

What we most appreciate about BrandTuitive is the real investment they make in understanding our brand. We have a very unique and valuable brand, and we needed an agency that could seamlessly connect our brand with our marketing. Few agencies could give us the same level of brand strategy and creative marketing we get with BrandTuitive. Lastly, BrandTuitive needs very little hand holding, and the quality and integrity of their work is brilliant.

In hindsight, are there areas in which they could improve, or things you might do differently?

The success of any project is heavily dependent on the quality of the briefing, it is imperative to be specific and outline the parameters in as much detail as possible.