Advertising Agency in Sherwood Park, Alberta

Bluetrain Inc. is a digital marketing agency specializing in advanced search engine optimization, web analytics, social media marketing, content marketing and online advertising services.

Bluetrain acts as an outsourced digital marketing department helping clients achieve success online on an ongoing basis.

2007
Sherwood Park, Canada
  • 236-150 Broadway Crescent
    Sherwood Park, AB T8H 0V3

SEO & PPC for Occupational Health Testing Firm

“They are fun to work with because they are very engaged.”

Mar. 2014 - Ongoing

Bluetrain augments the marketing and communications team as the digital marketing department. They consult and deliver SEO and PPC services with the goal of obtaining new customers. The work is ongoing.

Bill Duncan
Marketing Manager, CannAmm

Bluetrain succeeded in bringing in more new business and increasing search activity on the website. Their work has been so effective that they are a consistent part of the team. They contribute valuable expertise and effectiveness with commitment, integrity, and responsive communications.

I am the manager of marketing and communications for CannAmm Occupational Testing Services. We test employees on behalf of employers, performing a variety of tests ranging from pre-employment medicals, drug and alcohol tests, and any health or health-like tests to get an employee ready to work.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bluetrain Inc.?

We wanted to acquire new customers. Our business can be a limited niche, especially on the web, and we wanted to make sure we stood in front of our competitors.

They provide advice, expertise, and execution of all things digital. They do a lot with SEO as well as PPC advertising and digital display advertising. They also help us with any needed web optimization.

They manage our PPC campaigns. They do the research and, while collaborating with us on keywords, they also monitor keywords for us and compare them with our competitors. When it comes to SEO, they sometimes provide optimization of copy and general website edits and advice on how our site can perform better.

We set out specific goals together. They also offer new solutions and, when things change, they are very proactive. For example, we had introduced a dedicated landing page for specific campaigns which was born from their suggestion for lead generation on specific PPC campaigns and display advertising. Although we have a two-person marketing and communications team in-house, it’s like having a digital department and almost like we have a full complement of digital marketers working for us full-time.

I have a dedicated account manager who is our main point of contact. From time to time, one of our past account managers who has a project manager role there comes in as well. The account manager brings in experts for specific projects as needed. I also touch base with the president a couple times per year.

How did you come to work with Bluetrain Inc.?

Bluetrain was a legacy before I started working with the company. My understanding is that it was through a connection.

I began working with them in March 2014 and the work is ongoing.

Our paid search accounts for about 10% of our website traffic. We have also seen increases in our direct search, organic search, and social reach since we started with them. We have added a brand new stream of potential clients to our website.

How did Bluetrain Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

We have monthly meetings that are very detailed and consistent. We haven’t missed a month in four years. They provide us with standardized reporting that we get every month for our dashboard, as well as any ad hoc reporting we need on an annual basis which is reviewed by our executive.

On the project management side, they have been excellent. Building the PPC campaigns was a great exercise that worked really well and was very collaborative.

Their honesty is impressive. Bluetrain is honest about what results can happen and what they are hoping to accomplish when they recommend something to me. They are practical in terms of what we can expect when it comes to ROI. They don’t promise the impossible, and they are very open.

Their responsiveness is excellent. I needed a report on SEO keywords compared to my competitors and I got it within an hour. When we decided to do the landing pages, those happened in days. If I have a new campaign that needs landing pages, they send me a proof in two days.

Their attention to detail is also impressive. I have been quite impressed with what Bluetrain provides us with.

No. For our needs in a B2B space, they have been excellent.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Ask for clarification and advice because they will give it to you, and then you can help them set the direction. If you have a business challenge, bring it up. They have so much expertise, and they will offer possible solutions that you might not have thought about. Sometimes there are things I didn’t even know were possible.

They are very eager to try new things. They are fun to work with because they are very engaged.

Digital Marketing Strategy for Artisan Chocolate Company

"They managed to connect the messaging to the checkout process ... so that we could continue to grow."

Jan. 2016 - Mar. 2017

Bluetrain developed a comprehensive digital marketing strategy including SEO, social media, and content curation. Reporting and analytics rounded out the engagement.

Jacqueline Jacek
Owner, JACEK Chocolate Couture

Site improvements and innovative social media drove revenue growth, which wouldn’t have been possible without Bluetrain’s strategic input. Uncompromising responsiveness and business acumen made them an ideal partner.

I'm the founder of JACEK Chocolate Couture, an artisan chocolate company that operates in a fashion business model. We exist to spread joy through our retail stores and online business.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bluetrain?

To better understand the opportunities on our website for increasing online sales. We also wanted to identify marketing strategies to grow our base of customers across Canada.

The first project we did with Bluetrain was SEO and advertising on social media, specifically Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. They launched an effort around our peak season—Easter, Valentine’s Day, and Mother's Day—to grow brand awareness. Then we engaged them in a second bigger marketing project to analyze our website and to really dive into the analytics. They presented us with a full report on the opportunities to improve the site, and set up Google Analytics and a report dashboard. They also created personas for our three different types of customers and a marketing plan for how to grow that base.

There was a big content piece to the engagement as well. They identified some words we should consistently use online, in social media, or at speaking engagements. They also gave us a few tips to update our email templates. In terms of product content, they suggested we create more expensive bundles of chocolates to make it easier for people to buy gift baskets in a single click versus having to add 15 separate products to their cart.

Jodie [director of projects & accounts, Bluetrain] was our assigned project manager. Everything went through her and then she would pull in subject matter experts as needed.

How did you come to work with Bluetrain?

They're a local business so I've known Bryan [president, Bluetrain] from Chamber of Commerce meetings and networking. Our website designer recommended them as they have a lot of experience in the chocolate industry.

We spent between $10,000–$25,000 Canadian dollars [$7,962–$19,906 USD].

We worked with Bluetrain between January 2016 and March 2017 but we're still in the process of implementing all of their recommendations.

We had lots of little things that weren't quite connected. They managed to connect the messaging to the checkout process, which helped solidify our platform so that we could continue to grow. We sent their website analysis report to our developers. Since making the recommended changes, we’ve seen a much higher conversion of sales, increased traffic, and more revenue.

They encouraged me to use Instagram stories when that feature was still relatively new. It's grown our business tremendously so that was one of our big learnings. They also provided a lot of value in our product offerings. Our joy boxes—essentially gift baskets of pre-curated items—have been hugely successful.

How did Bluetrain perform from a project management standpoint?

Jodie was brilliant. She always accommodated the seasonality of our business when scheduling meetings. We communicated equally by email and in-person meetings.

Their professionalism and ability to stick to deadlines. I felt that they truly cared about our project and our business.

No. The engagement was very worthwhile and well-handled. I don't see any opportunities for improvement.

Understand your goals and be able to communicate them properly.

There was one thing that slipped slightly but I think it was our fault.

Digital Marketing Strategy for Financial Planning Brokerage

“They insist on doing things correctly instead of taking shortcuts.”

Feb. 2007 - Ongoing

Bluetrain provides content creation, including blog and article remarketing, along with SEO and link building. They also manage PPC ads, Google Analytics, and have augmented coding for website development.

Alberta, Canada
Gordon McCallum
President, First Foundation Inc.

Bluetrain delivered a solution during a hectic situation, and continues to provide friendly, dedicated marketing. Their efforts have amassed a 200% ROI, and online business has accounted for 45% since 2007. Their communication and consistency have helped develop a lasting partnership.

I’m the president, CEO, and founder of First Foundation, a mortgage, insurance, and financial planning brokerage in Alberta, Canada.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bluetrain?

We began to see a trend of people searching for information about financial services online, and we wanted to reach as many of them as possible. We needed help to do this effectively, so we began looking for a partner who could offer a long-term approach. This was the first focused attempt at online promotion for our business, and at the time, a lot of competitors weren’t utilizing the online sphere.

Bluetrain has helped us with many things, including content creation, optimization, and acting as advisors to our web designers to make sure our sites were coded properly. They ensured the designers were incorporating important SEO elements and site codes.

We have a blog that showcases content specific to each service, as well as a growing content and keyword glossary for various insurance and mortgage financial terms. Bluetrain has helped us implement all of these elements, and they always ask a lot of questions. They worked to truly understand our industry. They’re able to take information from us and do the research to help support us.

Additionally, they’ve conducted link building and citation work to make sure everything is accurate and consistent. They’ve managed our PPC campaigns, display ads, remarketing, and organic content for some of our social media. It’s always been a collaborative effort, and I’ve felt involved with everything we’ve worked on together.

Bluetrain also did AB testing for us on the site in terms of usability and spotting areas to improve conversions. They’ve managed Google Analytics for us and provided reports for everything, while also providing support for local strategies. More of our online marketing has evolved, and they’ve helped us to evolve with it.

I had made a mistake on Google My Business while answering questions specific to our services, which ended up costing us a lot of money. Bluetrain was able to fix this for us and stop the bleeding, get things corrected, and help us recover. I wouldn’t have known what to do if they hadn’t jumped in and saved the day.

They have a good account manager who keeps everyone on task and makes sure deliverables are finished on time. There is a good sense of communication with them, and it helps that our offices are in close proximity. We use Google Hangouts and phone calls for everyday communication, and we also have a monthly meeting. They’re very responsive, and when I contact them, I hear back by the next day. I never get pushed to the backburner.

How did you come to work with Bluetrain?

I’ve known Bryan [President & Founder, Bluetrain] since going to business school together. I like innovators and progressive people, and I’d found out he was working in promotion around the same time I was seeking services for my business. I trusted him because we’d known each other for so long, and I was able to tell he knew what he was talking about when I asked him questions. It was a natural fit.

We’ve spent between $10,000-$50,000.

We started working together in 2006 or 2007, and the relationship is ongoing.

We’re getting a really good ROI on what we spend with them in combination with our ad spending, which they also manage. The online business we get represents about 45% of our overall amount. It’s a nice supplement, and this metric has been consistent since about 2007. We’ve experience 200% ROI.

How did Bluetrain perform from a project management standpoint?

They perform very well, and it’s getting better over time. They’ve built the company and the organization, and they now have more people in various specialized roles. Early on, I was dealing with just the founder, but now they’ve got teams of people that offer differing expertise.

We’ve had the benefit of working with them long-term, so they now easily understand the business. They’re the friendliest group of people to work with, which reflects the leadership of the organization. The quality of work has been consistently good. They deliver by deadline, and they help keep us organized. We keep returning to them because we’re happy with the results.

I haven’t worked with others, but I have evaluated them. I pay close attention to what my competitors are doing as well, and the biggest difference Bluetrain offers us is their sense of integrity. They’ve continuously approached situations with a long-term perspective, and they have no desire to artificially play rankings or do things that’ll get them penalized in the future.

Our reputation is very important to us, and we want to be recognized for doing things the right way. Bluetrain shares this viewpoint with us, so we’ve created a good partnership. They insist on doing things correctly instead of taking shortcuts. I’ve seen many of my competitors come and go due to faulty advice from advisors, so we’re thankful that Bluetrain is invested in our long-term potential.

Sometimes I try to push them to go further and be faster, but they bring me back down to make sure we’re progressing as planned. I don’t see them as big risk takers, but sometimes, I want to take risks. Their team has experienced some turnover, but they’ve since stabilized things and they’re better off for it. I understand the value I get from them, but occasionally, I’ve had to justify the expense to my investors or partners, which isn’t always easy. We analyze our financials, including our ROI, but it would be beneficial for Bluetrain to demonstrate these metrics more proactively.

Overall Score There isn’t a nicer group of people. They’re committed and hardworking, as well as fun. Allowing them the freedom to do their jobs helps garner good results. They’re definitely a good partner to choose for long-term projects.
    We may have set unrealistic goals sometimes, but Bluetrain managed to almost always deliver on time. Occasionally, smaller priorities slip into the next month, but that’s more of a product of our fluidity.
    I receive good value for money. There may be another company who could deliver the same work for less, but in comparison, their price is fair.
    There’s always room for improvement.
    I recommend them often.