New York City's top digital product agency

Gold

Blue Label Labs is a 64-person digital product development agency based in New York City with offices in Seattle and San Francisco.

Over at the past 10 years, we have built and transformed over 300 businesses through strategy, design and development.

Our client ranges from startup entrepreneurs to Fortune 500s. We’re in the business of building the right product, not just any product. The right product is built by bringing together the expertise of the client, our own Product knowledge, and iterative customer feedback.

New York, NY
  • 175 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014
  • 8201 164th Street, Suite 200
    Redmond, WA 98052
  • 655 Montgomery St, 7th Fl
    San Francisco, CA 94111

Bloomberg News; Fender; PayPal; United Nations; iHeart Media; Major League Baseball Player's Association; El Dorado Airport App; Hello Sitter; Magic Money; Muncheez; HowUdish

Overview

Hyer Case Study

Columbia University's Love My Heart Case Study

Fourty Five Ten & Joule Hotel Case Study

App Development & Management for Medical Institution

“It’s their adaptability. They have a good way of assessing our needs and working with us to tailor those needs.”

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

For over half a decade, Blue Label Labs has served as the development arm for a health intervention project. They’ve created and refined an iOS solution to support research initiatives.

Associate Research Assistant, Medical Institution

End users have praised the app’s UX, and Blue Label Labs has put in the effort to incorporate user feedback to improve future iterations. The team truly excels in project management and communication, navigating both technical and non-technical stakeholders with ease.

I work as an associate research scientist for a dental college.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We were revamping an app we’d developed for a federally-funded grant health intervention project. The app’s technology was outdated, and we needed to engage a software vendor that could bring it up to date.

Blue Label Labs has worked with us in a number of different ways on our research app for our health intervention program. It’s an iOS solution for tablets and smartphones. They’ve helped us redesign our app’s UI as well as the administrative backend.

Over the years, they’ve also helped us develop multiple spin-off projects. We still rely on them to maintain functionalities and troubleshoot/debug issues as they come up.

It’s hard to say how many people have been involved from the Blue Label team, but we’ve worked with quite a few over the years.

They assign different teams depending on the project at hand. Typically, they provide a supervisor to manage the project and handle the coordination and communication. Then there’s the development team.

I work pretty closely with Zach (Head of Business Development, Blue Label Labs) on day-to-day management, and I’ve worked with many of their development team.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

One of my colleagues identified them as a local company that seemed like a good fit. She did the background work, and we interviewed a few different vendors. We just liked the way Blue Label Labs worked, and their communication style. We were pleased with the product they had, so we decided to go with them.

Their pricing seemed to work well with us, too. As a nonprofit organization that relies on funding, we don’t really have deep pockets when it comes to developing technology. They’ve been very understanding about that and have a lot of experience working with universities. They understand the challenges of working in this environment.

We’ve had a lot of iterations and break-offs. We’ve definitely spent or at least allocated over $100,000.

It’s hard to say exactly when we started. We’ve been working with them for at least five years, and that relationship has grown and morphed over time. Our most recent project probably started in November 2016 and is ongoing.

The app is specifically for research and is being used in a very controlled environment, so it’s not freely available yet.

That being said, we’ve collected some data on the UX, which has been overwhelmingly positive. We’ve learned a lot about what people like and don’t like, and Blue Label Labs has worked with us to make it even more user-friendly and functional over the years.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve been phenomenal in terms of communication. Their project managers keep in touch with us during the active moments of a project, and we schedule weekly meetings.

Blue Label has been really great about hosting webinars, and they’ve only gotten better since. I engage in webinars and conference calls with them. The more technologically-engaged people in my team use Asana.

No, there’s nothing I can think of. The biggest thing for us was communication and staying on target with the budget, and they’ve been on point with those.

Clients shouldn’t go in with a strict, preconceived notion of what they want. Instead, it’s important to engage in communication with the Blue Label team. Explain everything you’re looking for and let them guide you on the tech side—that’s what they do best.

Web & App Dev for Flight-Booking Platform

"They see the value of what we’re bringing to the consumer, and that has really made our relationship a great one."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs have designed and developed a plane-ticket-bidding mobile application from scratch for a startup company. They integrated existing airline software with an iOS and Android UI.

Nadeem Ladki
CEO & Founder, LastSeat Inc.

Blue Label Labs' projects are masterfully created, integrating complex software systems and living up to the highest standard of quality in design. Despite scheduling delays, their team was able to lay out clear milestones and communicate proactively throughout the entire process.

I’m the founder and CEO of LastSeat, which is an Amadeus platform that allows real-time bidding on airline travel.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

When I first engaged with Blue Label Labs, we were still very much in the early phases of our development. We didn’t have a product or a design for the mobile application, so we were looking for different tech providers who could provide the frontend, backend, or both that also had design capabilities.

Blue Label Labs was our exclusive partner, so they helped with everything. They developed the application, most of which involved integration with the system the airlines use to exchange inventory and book tickets called the Amadeus media system. They also developed the search function, and the feature we were trying to bring to the market which is the actual real-time bidding capability.

They helped us with the design and feel of the actual interface, basically turning our very basic wireframe into a natural, working application and bringing our project to life. They were able to run it through Test Flight to play around with the product before bringing the app to both iOS and Android devices.

Bobby (CEO, Blue Label Labs) was our main point of contact, but we had four key people across different operations depending on what part we were working on. That included one main project manager and a few QA folks, but for the most part, their work was funneled to us through one point of contact rather than having information coming from multiple different places.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

They came to us through a recommendation by one of my business partners who had done a bit of research into the market and found that Blue Label Labs was particularly highly rated. We asked to look at their portfolio of work, and the quality of their product really stood out amongst the rest, albeit accompanied by a more premium price. Since cash is a little more difficult for startups, we reached an arrangement with them where they got

Including our equity and payments to them, we’ve spent around $350,000–$400,000 since the beginning of our work together.

We started working with Blue Label Labs in March 2016 and are continuing to work together today.

We are very pleased with the quality of the work they’ve completed for us. Our project took Blue Label Labs out of their depth a little bit in terms of engaging and dealing with an industry that they weren’t really familiar with on the day-to-day business end. That said, their teams handled the situation very well and were still able to build exactly what we need.

Their design team was really fantastic as well. The interface has gotten great initial feedback from users who say that it’s very clean, very easy to use, and generally savvy-looking, which I think is a big plus. Despite the project taking 6-8 months longer than expected, they worked to keep costs in line with our expectations so that our investment didn’t bubble out of control.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

From a personal standpoint, they are a fantastic team to work with. They are very strong communicators, they establish great objectives and roadmaps, and they always incorporate feedback into their work. Despite being in a completely different time zone, they always got back to us within 24 hours on any questions or issues we had.

The project was delayed, but only because of some nuances with the API that we were trying to connect that weren’t as standard as we had hoped. The important thing was that they helped us work through that and get through it. They see the value of what we’re bringing to the consumer, and that has really made our relationship a great one.

They have an excellent portfolio of companies and make apps that are very clean and easy to use. In my opinion, their design team probably doesn’t get as much credit as they should.

No, at every obstacle we’ve faced they have been open to working through it together, so I don’t hold anything against them.

I would recommend that anyone try to deal with as much as possible upfront, in terms of cost, project timeline, individual roles and such. It will help avoid unnecessary obstacles down the line. Their team is very happy to work through a lot of that in advance as opposed to putting unnecessary delays on the project themselves.

iOS Development for Dating App

“They had an impressive ability to both transcribe my vision and contribute their own ideas to the project."

Dec. 2018 - Ongoing

Blue Lab Labels is developing an iOS dating app that will allow users to interact in real-time. They created a prototype and built all of its functionalities from scratch. The app is now ready for beta testing.

Lauren Sobin
Founder and CEO, Live Solutions, LLC

Bringing their own unique expertise to the build, Blue Label Labs has performed like a true CTO for this project. Users are impressed by the design, and all bugs have been fixed quickly. The team was attentive and detail-oriented, eager to offer unique ideas to turn the project around quickly.

I’m the owner and founder of Live Solutions LLC. We’re developing a dating app that provides a live user experience for those interested in dating. It’s more than just a swipe-to-match concept. Users will be able to interact on a live feed in real-time with each other and a host who will lead icebreaker questions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

I needed help with developing the app and all of its unique functionalities.

I started out with only a small business plan—the app wasn’t sketched out at all. The goal was to come up with a product that I could show to investors to scale up when the time is right. They gave me a first service estimate in the beginning. From there, they listed out a full SOW with detailed steps to get to the MVP. We started the work with a discovery meeting, discussing my vision and how I pictured the app. Once they had a good idea of what I wanted, they began building the app and meeting with me intermittently.

Before they tackled functionalities, everything was laid out clearly in a prototype. They used Realtimeboard to manage how the product would flow and function. In development, we paid particular attention to the signup flow. It's an important part of the app because users must create a profile in order to interact with people and enter games on the platform. Their work makes it possible for someone to input their age, sexual preference, a short bio, photos, and Facebook login in the creation of individualized profiles. Once completed, the app will have scheduled games that will take players through a series of 10 questions where they can answer and interact with each other in real-time.

The iOS app is ready for beta testing now. I’m meeting with Blue Label Labs soon to discuss next steps. Once we get testers on the app and games start, we’re going to have to figure out how to make it all sync up to make sure the flow works in real-time.

I’ve been working directly with Zach (Head of Business Development, Blue Label Labs) and his team for the project.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I found them through Google. They weren’t a tough find, but I did some additional research. At the time, I was interviewing teams based in California, but Zach and his team were based in Manhattan just a few blocks away from my office. It was very convenient to meet with them in person, so I chose them.

The original estimate for the MVP was about $50,000, and it’ll be an additional $8,500 for a pitch deck and website.

The project started in December 2018, and the work is ongoing.

I consider Blue Label Labs to be my CTO. I think that will be a big game-changer when I pitch to investors. At this point, when I show people the app, even individuals in my audience, they always praise the design. Throughout the development, every bug has been fixed within a week.

They’ve also brought their own ideas to the app that have been valuable. For instance, part-way through the build, we noticed that the app might need a tutorial so users can immediately understand how the game flow is going to work. They ended up going back and adding it after realizing it was needed. So, while we haven’t launched yet, I can attest that their work is impactful.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We met in person a few times, and it was great to be able to sit down to collaborate. Those meetings made a big difference in sketching out the project in its early stages. Otherwise, we used Zoom, Asana, and email to communicate, all of which were effective. They’re very organized and were great at giving updates. The team was detail-oriented, keeping track of everything throughout the project.

They had an impressive ability to both transcribe my vision and contribute their own ideas to the project. They have a unique spin on what I’m doing, coming to me with suggestions on how I can improve the app and give my users a better experience.

The price is a bit steep, but that’s because I didn’t have the funding that many startup entrepreneurs might have. Other than that, I can’t think of anything. They were organized and readily available to address my needs. Their team was also very clear about how certain decisions might impact my budget.

Overall Score They’re organized, communicative, and full of ideas. They do things better than I could myself.
    I wasn’t on a tight deadline, but they treated it project like it was urgent.
    The cost is on par with other dev shops, but I didn’t get part of what I wanted with what I was willing to spend.
    They deliver on time, taking my vision into consideration and putting their own expertise into suggestions.
    I’d recommend them to those with the funding to hire them.

Development for Student Life Platform

“They were extremely nimble in adapting to our changing needs, which was very impressive.”

Feb. 2018 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs developed a digital platform from the ground up. From producing a prototype to creating a fully-functional demo, they were tasked with iterations of the client’s evolving project.

Co-Founder & CEO, Student Life Platform

Blue Label Labs' prototype featured a refined UX/UI and helped secure the company’s first investment. Now, the team is devoted to creating an MVP for future release. They advise on strategy, deliver fantastic products, and continuously go above and beyond to ensure success.

I’m the CEO and co-founder of a first-of-its-kind management system for student life.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We initially started out as a university wellness platform and first engaged Blue Label Labs to build a prototype for it. Four weeks into getting our first investment, we realized that we needed to pivot to a more comprehensive student life system. We re-engaged Blue Label Labs to implement this shift.

This was our first time doing this, so they assisted us from square one. We partnered with them to do the earlier ideation and mock-ups for the prototype of our student wellness platform.

After our product shift to a student life system, they worked to understand and implement this transition. They employed Angular, SQL, C#, and .NET for our initial build before switching to a new architecture. This also meant reconfiguring user stories, reworking the UX/UI extensively, formatting all of the data, and producing a functional demo. Now, they're working to produce an MVP to deploy in 2020.

At any given time, there have been around 20 people on the project. Our main point of contact was Stewart Skrondal (Director, Blue Label Labs), although he’s become a friend, so we don’t refer to his title too much.

We also actively engage with Bobby Gill (Co-Founder & CTO, Blue Label Labs), project managers, and the head of design. Blue Label Labs really brought their A-Team out for us, which we’re extremely thankful for.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

When we were looking to build a prototype, we used Clutch to help narrow our search. Blue Label Labs was one of the few service providers we spoke with, and we were really impressed by their authentic approach.

We've spent between $100,000–$250,000.

The initial prototype we produced was key in securing our first investment, which prompted us to go back to them for full-scale development. They've been excellent in strategizing our business changes. From a UX/UI perspective, the product they’ve created is top-notch, and working with them has been amazing.

How did Blue Label perform from a project management standpoint?

They're great. Initially, we had a project manager—no longer at Blue Label Labs—who just had a different working process or methodology from what we needed. That could’ve been a pain point, but the company recognized this and offered an alternative solution even before we asked. Blue Label Labs has been very on the ball about those things. They are excellent on the communication front. I collaborate with them in person and on Slack.

They were extremely nimble in adapting to our changing needs, which was very impressive. While a lot of service providers emphasize that they’re going to be partners and not just contractors, that's often not the case.

Blue Label Labs has held to their word. It's never felt like a vendor relationship: more like we have 20 additional employees who are fully devoted to our mission. Bobby would even travel with us to meetings with university executives to ensure the successful communication of our technical strategy and approach.

No, we were really impressed with their services. The CTO physically traveling with us to ensure our success just speaks volumes of how good of an agency they really are.

It’s hard to say because we were so inexperienced. I do wish we had taken fuller ownership of certain things to deter the associated cost of working with such an esteemed firm. They didn’t take advantage of us by any means, but, in hindsight, there may have been aspects of the project that we could’ve executed ourselves.

Mobile App Design for Carpooling Platform

"Their designers are top-notch and ahead of the curve; they have a lot of experience and training."

Feb. 2019 - Mar. 2019

Blue Label Labs designed the UI and UX of a carpooling mobile app for iOS and Android.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Waseim Chedid
CEO, Hoppin LLC

Blue Label Labs delivered top-notch designs that added a lot of value to the mobile app being developed. In addition to their creative and innovative input, they were also great to work with overall and responsive to client needs. Their services are well worth the investment.

I'm the CEO of Hoppin LLC, a carpooling transportation business for college students.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We reached out to Blue Label Labs to create an innovative design for the frontend of our mobile app.

Blue Label Labs designed our mobile app for iOS and Android, which is in the process of being developed by another vendor. They provided iterations for our review throughout the process, using InVision.

We worked with four people, including a lead designer, a UX designer, and a UI designer.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

We found them on Clutch and decided to work with them based on their positive reviews.

We invested about $38,000 in total.

We worked together from February–April 2019.

Blue Label Labs created innovative, user-friendly designs. It was clear by the quality of their work that they cared about the project and our success. They offered new, creative ideas that were a significant improvement on the original rough sketches we provided. Everything they delivered looks great.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They were easy to work with and very responsive overall. We mostly communicated through Zoom.

Their designers are top-notch and ahead of the curve; they have a lot of experience and training. Investing in their services was worth every penny.

I can't think of anything.

Don't be intimidated by the investment, because the end products they're capable of delivering are well worth it.

The quality of their work was great, and they delivered on time.

Web & Mobile App Dev for Labor On-Demand Platform

"They are detail-oriented, quick to adapt to changing priorities, and an overall pleasure to work with."

Jun. 2018 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs developed a complex native iOS app to connect vetted individuals to independent work. It features about 10 third-party integrations. They’re now helping with an Android version and a web portal.

Founding Partner & CIO, Frictionless Enterprises

Blue Label Labs delivers remarkably fast releases, without sacrificing quality. Within five months, we had a fully functioning iOS app that was leveraged by a major florist and is now in pilot with an enterprise-level grocery chain. Their exceptional project management is part of the key to success.

I’m one of the co-founders and CIO of Frictionless Enterprises, a startup that, through the Hyer app, streamlines the deployment of an on-demand labor force.  Our platform seeks to connect individuals with business opportunities.  By partnering with both large and small companies, we can help fulfill seasonal resource gaps, while also supporting the local communities.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We hired Blue Label Labs to develop our platform, starting with the mobile apps and expanding into a web portal.

Our solution consists of multiple components, including a native iOS and Android app, as well as a web portal. Initially, we worked with Blue Label Labs during the early stages to gather our requirements and outline blueprints for the iOS app.

Blue Label Labs then helped us to develop and implement the app into a pilot phase within five months. We’re currently working on a mobile responsive web portal, which will allow our business customers to log in and centrally manage an on-demand labor pool. The tech stack includes a React Native framework and features about 10 third-party integrations (e.g., Stripe, Mandrill, Checkr, Twilio, MailChimp, Google Maps).

We currently work with three core resources from a day-to-day perspective: a project manager, a senior project manager, and a UX/UI resource. In addition, there are several offshore team members, all overseen by an extremely knowledgeable lead engineer and architect.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

Coming from a technical background, I knew what I wanted in a development partner. We used reviews from Clutch and other resources to compile a list of criteria, most of which boiled down to having detail-oriented project management, strong technical know-how, great communication skills, and overall resource availability.

We were looking for a company that could partner with us to problem-solve rather than simply take orders. Our partner needed to grasp what we were trying to accomplish, understand the overall problem, and translate that into a viable solution.

We’ve spent about $790,000 so far.

We kicked off the engagement in June 2018 and launched our iOS app in December 2018. Our work with Blue Label Labs is ongoing.

What makes Blue Label Labs a great company to partner with, is their use of the agile methodology, which enables them to deliver quickly. Within five months, we had a fully functioning iOS app that was leveraged by a major florist in the Detroit market, and we are now in pilot with one of the largest privately-owned grocery chains in the United States.

The quality of their output is outstanding. Our company engaged a third-party cybersecurity provider to scan for security risks. They ran vulnerability assessments, as well as a manual penetration test. When the results were returned, there were only low priority issues that were quickly remediated by Blue Label Labs.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project managers are some of the best I’ve worked with.  They are detail-oriented, quick to adapt to changing priorities, and an overall pleasure to work with.

At this point in our project, we have daily stand-up calls and hour-long planning calls twice a week. If we’re planning out a new phase, we’ll have in-person meetings, as needed. They use slack and email for written communication, and are quick to respond during weekends and off-hours, when needed.

They’re outstanding. Not only do they understand who we are as a company, but they’re willing to challenge our ideas. We have many years of IT experience within our own team, so we are probably not the easiest customer to deal with, since we really have an in-depth grasp of the development lifecycle.

Often, we come into a situation with something already designed and ask them to implement.  However, Blue Label Labs will take the time to understand the problem to solve, push back as needed, and propose new ways of thinking about a problem. We then collaboratively come up with the optimal end solution.

The only thing I can think of is that, at times, there has been a bit of an underestimation of the complexity of what we were trying to accomplish.  This has resulted in estimates that needed to be revised after we got into the details of the situation.

In that sense, it would benefit them to be more mindful about their estimates, from a time, cost, and bandwidth perspective.

During those cases, we discussed the concerns with their senior leadership and worked through the details to find the best solution.

If something isn’t working, speak up and have a conversation with the senior leadership team. They are always happy to make things right.

Mobile App Dev for High-End Chocolate Company

“They're very responsive and solve any problem as quickly as possible.”

July 2018 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs built an iOS app that provides product information, adaptable baking tools, and recipes. They managed both design and front-/backend development.

501 - 1,000 Employees

Digital Marketing Manager, Food Production Company

The app has gone through testing and the feedback has been very positive. Blue Label Labs’ highly skilled team went above and beyond to meet all needs, while their exceptional project management helped them establish a seamless process.

I'm a digital marketing manager at a chocolate production company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We do a lot of B2B marketing, so we wanted to have a brand awareness tool that our distributors could use whenever they needed more information about us.

Blue Label Labs designed and developed a mobile app for us. We have four different types of users, so the app offers four types of experiences. For example, people can use the app to create a recipe with our chocolate or they can use a fluidity chart or a pairing tool, which allows them to compare chocolate based on flavors. This is an iOS app and Blue Label Labs handled both front- and backend development.

In addition, they built a custom CRM for our backend (we use Foursquare to get people to create an account on our website).

They had the most talented team compared to the other agencies we reviewed. Also, they had a lot of engineers on staff, which was one of the decisive factors for us.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

We work with Danny (Creative Director, Blue Label Labs), Darell (Program manager, Blue Label Labs), and Bobby (Co-Founder and CTO, Blue Label Labs).

We started working with them in July 2018 and the relationship is ongoing.

The app was very well received by our internal team. We've done a few tests with our users and chefs and the feedback has been positive.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They're very responsive and solve any problem as quickly as possible.

Their project management skills are fantastic. Sometimes, they had to deal with our headquarters and they've handled everything very well.

Not at the moment.

Have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish and they can take care everything else.

Development and Design for a Ridesharing Application

"[T]heir willingness and ability to work with clients to get the desired product is remarkable."

Sept. 2017 - Nov. 2018

Blue Label Labs handled the entire design and development of a ridesharing app from scratch. This included market validation, a competitive analysis, alpha and beta testing, and help with the app’s launch.

Long Island, New York
CEO, Hailify

Their team delivered a great app and the collaboration was positively marked by weekly meetings with the project manager. Blue Label Labs’ responsiveness and ability to truly understand a startup’s needs sets them apart, though being upfront about the desired outcomes is important.

I’m the CEO at Hailify, a ridesharing app. We created a platform that allows you to automate the entire process of being able to drive for more than one company seamlessly and automatically without having to touch your phone.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

I had an idea for the app and needed help developing it, specifically regarding how to address the problem I saw, what we can do about it, and how to build it.

We worked together all the way from conceptualization to design, development, implementation, and alpha and beta testing. This also included market validation, understanding the product/market fit, and competitive market analysis. They even helped us through the product launch as well.

The Android mobile application was developed from scratch. Blue Label Labs helped build our initial UI/UX, the first design mockups, and the entire feel of the app after the onboarding process.

If I ever need help, I’ll contact them with questions, and we keep in touch since we’ve developed a great relationship. We’ve transitioned to our own internal development team now which Blue Label Labs helped me put together. They really understand what tech companies and startups need.

I worked with several different people based on the project’s needs. There were people that were consistently assigned to the project, such as a project manager and a developer. I also worked with their creative director and even got to know their founders very well, who would help me out as needed. They’d be on calls with me late at night or would walk me through certain things just to help us get things done. I also interacted with their head of business development and the head of UI/UX.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I did a lot of market research on software development companies in the area and met with quite a few. I was looking at pricing, the solution they could offer, and the feel I got when I met them. It was important to me to feel comfortable with who I worked with.

Blue Label Labs satisfied all those requirements. They had the best solution and I really liked the team. At our first meeting, we sat in their conference room and met a bunch of their members. They introduced me to who would be working with whom and what each person does, so I felt that comradery from the get-go.

We spent over $100,000 on this project.

We started working together in September 2017 until November 2018.

I’d bring the app to friends or family and ask what they thought about it. I judged how good Blue Label Labs performed by that and whether they were meeting deadlines. They performed exceptionally well.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They were great in this regard. I really liked the weekly meetings with their project manager during which we’d talk about what has and hasn’t been done and if deadlines were being met. We’d also address any questions or concerns I had. Additionally, their availability was great. I was able to call them and get my questions addressed as needed. Even if they didn’t have the answer, they’d go figure it out and get back with me in a very timely manner.

Blue Label Labs’ ability to understand startup needs and their willingness and ability to work with clients to get the desired product is remarkable. They really worked with me, and they love that excitement of creating something new.

There was a bit of a lag to actually get development going after the conceptualization phase. Though it would’ve been better if that transition were immediate, deadlines were still met once the development started, so it may just be something normal.

Be open about the project’s needs and the company’s situation. Don’t go in there seeking a bargain or trying to negotiate things; it doesn’t lead to a great relationship. Clients should want to have a good relationship with Blue Label Labs. They’re great people who help out a lot, and the more open a client is, the more open they’ll be as well.

Web & Mobile App Dev of On-Demand Delivery Platform

“Blue Label Labs created a high-quality, user-friendly app that I'm excited to show potential customers.”

Oct. 2017 - July 2018

Blue Label Labs designed and developed a web and mobile app (iOS and Android) from scratch, giving users access to on-demand drivers for service deliveries in their area.

Syracuse, New York
CEO, On-Demand Delivery Platform

In addition to delivering a top-notch product, Blue Label Labs is very proactive and organized when it comes to managing projects. Outside of software development, they've provided invaluable business development support–a welcomed surprise from a vendor in their industry.

I'm the CEO of an on-demand delivery service based in Syracuse, New York.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We engaged Blue Label Labs to help us design and develop a web and mobile app.

Blue Label Labs designed and developed our web and mobile app (iOS and Android) from scratch, which included creating wireframes and requirements. They even assisted with some additional business management on our end.

Features of the app allow users to connect with on-demand drivers in the area and accept deliveries directly through the logistics dashboard. Our team is able to monitor user activity from the web-based platform they built as well.

We've worked with eight or nine people, including both of the owners, a project manager, a software engineer, and a designer.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I found them online and decided to work with them because they seemed small enough to be able to give us the kind of personal attention I wanted out of all the vendors I considered.

We've invested about $180,000.

They completed the bulk of the work from around October 2017 to July 2018, but they continue to provide ongoing maintenance.

We haven't launched the app yet, but I'm very happy with the final product. Blue Label Labs created a high-quality, user-friendly app that I'm excited to show potential customers.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

I talk with our designated project manager three to four time a week; he's always available when I need to reach him. We track most project tasks through Trello, so I can see exactly what the software engineers and designers are working on.

Due to their size, they're able to give their customers a lot of personal attention. Outside of just building software, they've also helped us on the business development side of things, including some key aspects of our company—I never expected to get that from a software development company.

Mobile App Dev for Mobile Game Development Company

“I’ve really appreciated their holistic approach to the project.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs designed and developed a leaderboard-based mobile game for Android and iOS. They also integrated several third-party services including social media and PlayFab.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Edward Hines
Owner, GATBE, LLC

Without any marketing or promotional efforts, the apps have garnered about 1,000 downloads and a variety of positive user feedback. Blue Label Labs invested in the project and although the project took longer than expected, every deliverable exceeded all expectations.

I’m the owner and operator of GATBE, LLC. We’re a mobile app development firm that builds and launches mobile games for Android and iOS.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

I had the idea and all the marketing for the business concept mapped out, but was new to the development space. I was looking for a partner to develop our app and bring it to market.

I engaged Blue Label with the idea and we worked together to refine and evolve the concept. Once it was ready for production, we contracted them to manage all aspects of development. This included several APIs and integrations to third-party services including social media platforms and PlayFab as a leaderboard portal. We used Amazon Web Services (AWS) for cloud support.

They initially built the app for iOS with further development on the Unity engine. We eventually went on to build it for Android. Both apps are live.

I primarily worked with a project leader and two ideation specialists during the planning process. Once the project was scoped out, we brought on a developer as one of the ideation partners scaled back. There was also a designer that helped plan the layout of the app early on, and a marketing specialist that’s just joining the team.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I was researching several companies and found Blue Label Labs on Clutch. They quickly rose to the top of my shortlist.

We invested over $200,000 on the project.

We started working together in April 2017, and they’ve provided ongoing maintenance since the apps launched earlier this year. We’re just starting the marketing process now.

Without any marketing apart from social media connectivity, we’re already at 1,000 downloads. We’ve seen over 50% retention so far, which is a great start as we prepare to scale up promotional efforts. The apps have received a great deal of positive customer feedback on the App Store and Google Play store, which primarily focus on the consistency and functionality. There have been no significant bugs, which is an impressive accomplishment for a project of this scope.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We started with a project management tool that I hadn’t used before, but eventually moved to Trello due to the nature of the project. I needed something that was clean and easy to interact with. It was always clear where things stood and what was being developed. We had weekly calls to discuss project status and consider new ideas along the way. The project took about two months longer than the initial schedule, but they provided feedback along the way to help me understand the delays. The final product exceeded all expectations.

Blue Label made clear that they were invested in this idea. Throughout the project, they brought on and consulted a variety of resources that added tremendous value. Our project manager has been very successful in bringing new resources up to speed, and there’s been an element of continuity across the various aspects of the project. I’ve really appreciated their holistic approach to the project. Other companies I was considering didn’t offer the full-service package that Blue Label does. Their breadth of expertise makes them a unique and valuable partner.

At times, they did not keep me updated as thoroughly as I had hoped. I was working on a variety of other projects at the time and requested that they keep me as thoroughly updated as possible throughout the process, and there were times that they did not deliver on that. This wasn’t a frequent occurrence, and they adjusted their processes immediately upon my highlighting the issue.

The project took longer than initially planned, but the output exceeded expectations.

Gold