NYC designers, developers & marketers of apps

Blue Label Labs is a 64-person mobile, tablet, watch, TV, IoT and AR/VR app design, development and marketing agency based in New York City and Seattle.

Over the last 6 years, we have partnered with enterprises, entrepreneurs and digital/full-service agencies to build over 250 iOS and Android-based apps.

We can help with everything from initial app design and development through app marketing/PR and post-launch maintenance.

Check-out our www.bluelabellabs.com to learn more about our team and past work.

Feel free to contact us at [email protected] to discuss how we can help!

New York, NY

FRND

El Dorado

Hello Sitter

Blue Label Labs - App Design, Development & Marketing Process

Check-out our process for app design, development and marketing.

El Dorado - El Dorado Airport App in Bogotá, Colombia - iPhone & Android Apps

In 2015, El Dorado International Airport in Bogotá, Colombia approached Blue Label Labs to design and develop a set of iOS and Android apps for visitors to the 44th busiest airport in the world.

The airport began the project with the desire to build an eye-catching app that not only made it easy for visitors to travel through the airport and monitor their flight status, but also served to showcase the variety of vendors and service providers available within the Airport.

Hello Sitter - On-Demand Babysitter App - iPhone

Hello Sitter was envisioned to provide an “Uber”-like experience that took the stress out of finding quality childcare. Whether it was a last minute meeting or a much needed date night, Hello Sitter wanted to create a seamless experience that made scheduling babysitting as frictionless and easy as it is to arrange for a pickup from a car sharing service. In selecting Blue Label Labs as their mobile app design and development partner, Hello Sitter looked to Blue Label to not only design a mobile app that brought their vision to life but also to build, test and deploy the product so that it was ready for a Spring 2016 launch.

Web & Mobile App Dev of On-Demand Delivery Platform

“Blue Label Labs created a high-quality, user-friendly app that I'm excited to show potential customers.”

Oct. 2017 - July 2018

Blue Label Labs designed and developed a web and mobile app (iOS and Android) from scratch, giving users access to on-demand drivers for service deliveries in their area.

Syracuse, New York
CEO, On-Demand Delivery Platform

In addition to delivering a top-notch product, Blue Label Labs is very proactive and organized when it comes to managing projects. Outside of software development, they've provided invaluable business development support–a welcomed surprise from a vendor in their industry.

I'm the CEO of an on-demand delivery service based in Syracuse, New York.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We engaged Blue Label Labs to help us design and develop a web and mobile app.

Blue Label Labs designed and developed our web and mobile app (iOS and Android) from scratch, which included creating wireframes and requirements. They even assisted with some additional business management on our end.

Features of the app allow users to connect with on-demand drivers in the area and accept deliveries directly through the logistics dashboard. Our team is able to monitor user activity from the web-based platform they built as well.

We've worked with eight or nine people, including both of the owners, a project manager, a software engineer, and a designer.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I found them online and decided to work with them because they seemed small enough to be able to give us the kind of personal attention I wanted out of all the vendors I considered.

We've invested about $180,000.

They completed the bulk of the work from around October 2017 to July 2018, but they continue to provide ongoing maintenance.

We haven't launched the app yet, but I'm very happy with the final product. Blue Label Labs created a high-quality, user-friendly app that I'm excited to show potential customers.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

I talk with our designated project manager three to four time a week; he's always available when I need to reach him. We track most project tasks through Trello, so I can see exactly what the software engineers and designers are working on.

Due to their size, they're able to give their customers a lot of personal attention. Outside of just building software, they've also helped us on the business development side of things, including some key aspects of our company—I never expected to get that from a software development company.

Mobile App Dev for Mobile Game Development Company

“I’ve really appreciated their holistic approach to the project.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs designed and developed a leaderboard-based mobile game for Android and iOS. They also integrated several third-party services including social media and PlayFab.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
Edward Hines
Owner, GATBE, LLC

Without any marketing or promotional efforts, the apps have garnered about 1,000 downloads and a variety of positive user feedback. Blue Label Labs invested in the project and although the project took longer than expected, every deliverable exceeded all expectations.

I’m the owner and operator of GATBE, LLC. We’re a mobile app development firm that builds and launches mobile games for Android and iOS.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

I had the idea and all the marketing for the business concept mapped out, but was new to the development space. I was looking for a partner to develop our app and bring it to market.

I engaged Blue Label with the idea and we worked together to refine and evolve the concept. Once it was ready for production, we contracted them to manage all aspects of development. This included several APIs and integrations to third-party services including social media platforms and PlayFab as a leaderboard portal. We used Amazon Web Services (AWS) for cloud support.

They initially built the app for iOS with further development on the Unity engine. We eventually went on to build it for Android. Both apps are live.

I primarily worked with a project leader and two ideation specialists during the planning process. Once the project was scoped out, we brought on a developer as one of the ideation partners scaled back. There was also a designer that helped plan the layout of the app early on, and a marketing specialist that’s just joining the team.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I was researching several companies and found Blue Label Labs on Clutch. They quickly rose to the top of my shortlist.

We invested over $200,000 on the project.

We started working together in April 2017, and they’ve provided ongoing maintenance since the apps launched earlier this year. We’re just starting the marketing process now.

Without any marketing apart from social media connectivity, we’re already at 1,000 downloads. We’ve seen over 50% retention so far, which is a great start as we prepare to scale up promotional efforts. The apps have received a great deal of positive customer feedback on the App Store and Google Play store, which primarily focus on the consistency and functionality. There have been no significant bugs, which is an impressive accomplishment for a project of this scope.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We started with a project management tool that I hadn’t used before, but eventually moved to Trello due to the nature of the project. I needed something that was clean and easy to interact with. It was always clear where things stood and what was being developed. We had weekly calls to discuss project status and consider new ideas along the way. The project took about two months longer than the initial schedule, but they provided feedback along the way to help me understand the delays. The final product exceeded all expectations.

Blue Label made clear that they were invested in this idea. Throughout the project, they brought on and consulted a variety of resources that added tremendous value. Our project manager has been very successful in bringing new resources up to speed, and there’s been an element of continuity across the various aspects of the project. I’ve really appreciated their holistic approach to the project. Other companies I was considering didn’t offer the full-service package that Blue Label does. Their breadth of expertise makes them a unique and valuable partner.

At times, they did not keep me updated as thoroughly as I had hoped. I was working on a variety of other projects at the time and requested that they keep me as thoroughly updated as possible throughout the process, and there were times that they did not deliver on that. This wasn’t a frequent occurrence, and they adjusted their processes immediately upon my highlighting the issue.

The project took longer than initially planned, but the output exceeded expectations.

Firebase Web Services for Mobile Game Development Company

“We needed talented people who we could trust with sensitive data and access to our projects.”

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs provided backend engineering for a mobile game developer. They use Firebase to incorporate features such as databases, analytics, and push notifications.

La Jolla, California
Derek Arndt
Founder, Battery Acid Games

Blue Label Labs delivers new features and enhancements efficiently and affordably. They respond well to shifting priorities, ensuring that critical features work smoothly while simultaneously developing experimental ones.

I run a mobile gaming company that puts out apps for iOS and Android. I do a lot of the design work and engineering.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

My background is engineering, but since I run the business, I’m responsible for a lot of other things. I wanted to bring in somebody else with solid expertise to handle the backend services.

We originally had design plans for a number of game features that we wanted to do through Google’s Firebase, which offers functionality like databases, analytics, push notifications, and cloud syncing. My team fleshed out an initial plan for how these features would work so that we understood what the backend should look like. We then passed those specs off to the project manager at Blue Label Labs.

After some discussion about what our needs were, they assigned the project to someone on their side, and we’ve spent the past year going back and forth on the development. Some of the features are time-sensitive and require quick deadlines, but other features are experimental and we can take more time to build those.

I’ve worked primarily with three people: a lead engineer, our project manager, and then the engineer who’s assigned specifically to our project. At one point, they also brought in an additional engineer for short-term help.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I received a recommendation from a friend who’d worked with them before. Blue Label had a wide range of expertise that made them attractive for a long-term partnership.

We’ve spent $20,000–$30,000.

We started working with them in February 2017 and we’re still working together.

We look at success in terms of features being completed for our apps. Now that we’ve worked with them for a full year, we’ve been able to see their process on several projects and they’ve made it successfully through the full cycle of implementation, deployment, and bug-fixing multiple times.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

I frequently served as a project manager on our end, so I interfaced with their project manager to keep track of everything. In some cases, they’ve offered us the option to sidestep a project manager and just work directly with their engineers, which has also worked well because the schedules synced nicely. We use Slack and email to keep in touch, so there’s pretty immediate feedback. We also have our own internal ticketing system that their engineers use, which has been nice as far as integrating them with our team.

We needed talented people who we could trust with sensitive data and access to our projects. Blue Label Labs has lived up to both of those expectations and earned the recommendation I received.

We could work on communicating better when it comes to scheduling and setting priorities. I’m not sure if the issue is the tools we’re using or something else, but I feel like we could improve that process.

Whenever we set firm deadlines, they make sure to deliver on time.
    Their rates vary a bit depending on the engineers’ experience, so depending on our deadlines, they’ll offer to assign projects in a way that reduces costs.
    Everything is done to spec, and they adapt well whenever we make changes during the process.
    They’re trustworthy, experienced, and do everything we ask.

Native Mobile App Dev for Digital Radio Platform

“The app Blue Label built peaked at No. 2 for news apps in iTunes during the first week of its launch.”

Sept. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Blue Label designed and built a mobile app (iOS and Android), incorporating existing backend APIs of an older app. They continue to update and maintain the app in its recent release.

Product Manager, Digital Audio Service

Blue Label's team designed an exceptional app that has increased usage eightfold. In the first week of its launch, the app ranked No. 2 for news apps in iTunes. Despite some lack of clarity on the pacing of the project, the final product exceeded expectations and rivals the work of competitors.

I work in the product development department of a radio station, overseeing several mobile apps and websites.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We were looking for a vendor to develop an Android and iOS app for one of our news talk radio shows. Our previous app was about five years old and in need of a redesign.

Blue Label Labs designed and built native iOS and Android apps, including frontend design and the implementation of existing backend APIs. Features included editorial rich content, audio, video, and pay gated content for subscribers.

We worked in pretty agile environments, including two-week sprints and a couple of day-long development sprints towards the end.

We worked with one designer, two project managers, and about eight developers.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

Our radio show host and his team canvassed for a vendor and recommended Blue Label Labs to us.

We invested just under $200,000.

We started working with them in September 2017 and launched the app in January 2018, followed by a 60-day maintenance period. We're in the process of working with them on a second project to incorporate more features into the app.

The app Blue Label built peaked at No. 2 for news apps in iTunes during the first week of its launch. Previously, it ranked around No. 134. We've increased usage by a consistent rate of eight times our previous average. Their team has also been very quick to fix any bugs as needed following the launch.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicate mostly through phone, email, Slack, and Trello. Their team is always quick to respond, getting back to us usually within 30 minutes during working hours.

They truly understand the needs of their clients and proactively push the envelope to achieve those needs. Their willingness to extend discovery sessions to help us build the best product was invaluable.

Their developers are also extremely talented. Despite the fact that they're located in India, their work rivals that of many US-based vendors I've seen.

They could have done a better job notifying us on the pacing of the project against their original estimate both in terms of cost and timeline. As we begin the second project, we now routinely check in to ensure pacing is moving along as expected to avoid any headaches.

Make sure your team is meeting regularly with Blue Label's team to go over budgeting and pacing as the project progresses.

Mobile App Dev for Nonprofit Women's Support Network

“Their whole team was attentive to detail.”

Apr. - Dec. 2017

Blue Label Labs built a hybrid app meant to replicate the accompanying website. They were the sole developers and completed the project from start to finish.

IT Manager, Nonprofit Organization

Blue Label Labs delivered exactly what was expected, impressing with the layout of the app. Communication was sometimes stilted, and the delivery deadline was pushed back, but the final product worked as intended.

I’m the IT manager for a nonprofit organization that helps women back into the workforce. We have multiple programs, including suiting and professional women's groups. I oversee all aspects of IT: servers, emails, desktops, etc.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We wanted to create a mobile app for our digital platform that provides women the ability to access our programs online.

Blue Label Labs did a pre-evaluation and gave us a budget and overall scope for the work that was required. We wanted the app to be a one-to-one replicate of the website, and they captured all that, even though we were still developing the site while they were developing the app.

They built the app in a hybrid environment; it’s single-code based on both iOS and Android. They did all the mobile app development, from start to finish. It serves as a digital platform for clients to learn about our programs, and there’s also a quiz at the end that we’re able to track. We were extending our learning platform digitally, and the app serves as a way to transcribe that into the digital world.

My main points of contact were their head of development and project manager, and there were a few people in the beginning who did the mockup. Other than that, we also had one main developer.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I found them on Clutch. I looked at a lot of companies because it was a large project. What I liked most about Blue Label Labs was that they’re local and they’d worked with nonprofits before, so they knew how to fit in our budget.

We spent around $60,000.

We started working together in April 2017, and the app was delivered in December.

We haven't fully launched the app out to our clients, so we don’t have any qualitative data. The app is working as intended, though, and we’ve fixed all the outside bugs. Our executives like the layout and how well it portrays the website.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They were satisfactory. Sometimes communication was a little messy because information wasn't relayed properly. Usually, the developer would tell the project manager who would tell me, and that system sometimes caused issues.

We mainly used Trello to track what the developers were doing, where we were at, and any bugs. We also communicated via email, and we had weekly conference calls.

We didn’t finish the app on the estimated deadline, but that’s because of a bug that cropped up late in development.

Their whole team was attentive to detail.

No, not right now.

Have a proper scope laid out prior to reaching out for development.

They were able to meet deadlines, more or less.

Mobile App Dev for Social Media Influencer Platform

“[T]hey gave me exactly what I wanted, and the app’s attracted the right audience so far.”

Jan. - May 2017

Provided with wireframes, Blue Label Labs built an iOS app from beginning to end. Responsibilities included development and design, with feature integration such as Stripe payment and direct messaging.

Founder, Social Media App

Blue Label Labs’ business development was extraordinary; they were attentive, responsive, and personable. While some communication delays occurred, the team was quick to make any necessary adjustments.

I'm the founder of a social media app for brand builders. Our customers are small business owners, online influencers, bloggers, social media celebrities, etc., and they create partnerships among themselves.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

I needed a firm to build our initial iOS app.

I had preliminary high-level wireframes, but Blue Label Labs predominately started from the beginning. They did everything from requirements gathering to the app design, and we used Envision so I could track what the app, user flow, and UI looked like.

Beyond that, they also developed the frontend and backend of the 1.0 version. As of now, we’re just planning on the iOS version. Some of the features include group chat to create partnerships, direct messaging, and Stripe integration for payment.

I’ve also talked to their marketing department to work on Facebook ads.

I had a project manager, designer, and a few development team members. Bobby, their CTO, was also on my project.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I did a lot of online research and saw some good reviews for them. I reached out to them and met with Zack [Head of Business Development, Blue Label Labs]. The conversation went well, so I met with a few team members and thought we could work well together, so I hired them.

I spent about $100,000. I wasn’t expecting to spend that much, but the scope changed a bit, and the quote increased.

We started working together in January 2017, and the app launched near the end of May.

This is our first version, so it’s hard to tell. It’s a good start, and the look and feel of the app are clean. I provided a lot of guidance, and they gave me exactly what I wanted, and the app’s attracted the right audience so far.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We had a few problems with project management, but things eventually got better. We communicated through email and tracked progress in Trello. I’m glad we had a tool to keep track of the priorities. They have a team that's offshore, so there was a time delay, but whenever I raised an issue, they were pretty quick to adjust things.

Their business development side is great. When I needed help, Zack was always there, and Bobby was attentive during the whole project. Stewart [Business Development, Blue Label Labs] provided all the tools and connections I needed to get the best app possible.

Communication could have been better, but it may have just been my project manager.

Set expectations up front and don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure that communication flows well and it's your style of communication.

Some things were a bit delayed, and I wish they would have told me that earlier.

Mobile App Dev for Restaurant Menu Search Tool

"They’re invested in their work with clients, beyond just a paycheck.”

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs designed a location specific, swipe-based diet app that aggregates data from disparate sources. They completed the backend coding, UX/UI, and design of the app.

Founder, HowUDish

A month after release, the app has 1,000 downloads and a 4.5 rating. The team showed flexibility, integrity, and commitment, often working off-hours on bug fixes. Offering thorough education and engaged collaboration, Blue Label Labs worked as a committed partner, invested in project success.

I came up with the idea for an app called “HowUDish,” which is now available for iPhone. It recommends dishes at nearby restaurants that fit a specific diet, like vegan, gluten-free, low calorie/carb, or balanced high protein. The main interface uses a location-based swiping methodology. Based on a user’s specific profile, several cards appear that feature food items and indicate where they’re offered.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

As this was my first foray into development, I needed someone to execute all aspects of my initial idea, using a list of available data sources. Swiping for inanimate objects differs from networking apps like Tinder or Bumble. The process of combining and standardizing data from disparate sources was much more complicated than anticipated.

Blue Label Labs developed an understanding of my goals and masterminded how it would look, including UX/UI. Rather than using a rigid methodology, they developed new ideas and tried different strategies I suggested. Once the design was completed, they focused on making it workable. A backend developer completed the actual coding, and they managed that entire process.

They haven’t formally worked on our marketing strategy or branding, but have offered advice in more casual conversations. Our app is currently just for iOS. If all goes well, they’ll build the Android version next year. They made a rudimentary landing page, but a functional web version might be a plan for later on.

We worked most closely with a relationship manager, designer, and Bobby Gill, the head of the company. Their backed developers are located in India.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

I'm proud to say we partially found them on Clutch.co., along with other testimonial and review sites. I first reached to 10-15 developers, which we narrowed down to 5-6 local vendors. I’m based in New York and believe in direct, face-to-face conversations for this type of project.

We’ve spent between $140 - 150K so far.

We formally started work in April 2017, after I approached them in March. The first iteration of the app (the MVP) was released at the end of October. They're continuing coding work on premium features and a social networking component.

Since the app is in its early stages, I don’t have many metrics to share. It was purposely designed for release before the full version was coded, so it could be available for New Year's resolution dieting. There've been approximately 1,000 downloads so far, and our 71 reviews average 4.5. It's been well received in terms of user presentation.

Since this is my first software development project, I would initially get frustrated by the number of times I saw crashes or bugs. They did a great job of fixing issues, although I’d often notice them first. The quality assurance has been fairly good.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated with developers mostly through Trello. They gave the prompt responses I expected, even during off hours like nights and weekends. This was critical, because the logical flaws I’d notice often had tight timelines to be corrected. They worked patiently through several iterations of the product.

Their competitive advantage lies in their employees’ integrity, flexible methodology, and engaging pedagogy. Bobby is very skilled at everything he does, and he has a good temperament for understanding and educating clients. He’s well versed in solving challenges that pertain to specific projects.

I view them as partners. Their team is passionate and willing to experiment. They’re invested in their work with clients, beyond just a paycheck. Going above and beyond the services I paid for, they’ve embraced our unique approach and executed it well.

A few things were missed during the initial discovery stage that caused major issues in the middle of actual development. To their credit, they remedied the problem and comped the ensuing related work. I can trust that they're charging me fairly; I only pay for work that’s done successfully.

Our issues with the discovery phase could have been unique to our non-traditional app. It’s important to anticipate problems, which are bound to happen. How the vendor reacts is what counts, though, and Blue Label consistently responds in the right way.

Deadlines are moving targets, so nothing was dramatically off. The original release was delayed by a week, however, and the second release by a month.
    Their prices are in line with what comparable companies are charging, from my understanding.

iOS Mobile App Dev for Football Tailgate Search Tool

“They helped create a culture around our app, and they truly wanted it to be successful.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs developed the UI, UX, and custom backend of an iOS application with multiple functionalities. They also yielded marketing and branding services, and continue to provide ongoing development.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Howard & Isaac Bush
Co-Founders, Flock

The app gained 150 users within the first week, and already has a 5-star rating in the App Store. Blue Label Labs’ team works diligently to deliver and launch before deadline, all while providing focused project management. Their executive leadership and professionalism are also notable.

Isaac: I’m the CEO of FlockIt LLC. We’ve created the ultimate mobile tailgating application, Flock, for which we currently have 150 users.

Howard: I’m the COO. We just launched our app last week.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

Isaac: We needed more developers when we first started considering Blue Label Labs. Neither I nor Howard had any sort of coding background, so we were looking to them to provide that expertise, as well as design the user interface and user experience.

Isaac: Initially, we asked them to develop an app that would give users the ability to find, join, and create tailgates in 15 different university locations for the D1 NCAA football season. They were able to establish all 15 universities, and now users are able to create those tailgates no matter which location they’re at. Even for away games, users are still able to find the tailgates at their own universities.

We’ve been able to supply our target audience with an app that encourages them to gather and celebrate sports. Blue Label Labs allowed us to customize what we actually wanted to go into the Apple Store, and then they submitted the updates and changes as we went along.

Howard: The app also creates loyalty to the teams because users can choose their favorites. They can switch teams depending on their decisions, and also chat about tailgates. Users are also able to load pictures and videos.

The initial scoping process was great because it gave us a full view of their iterative development capabilities. They provided ancillary services around marketing, and also helped immensely with branding. We went through a design process, and since we had prepared detailed user requirements, the entire process went smoothly. They were mainly working to refine our requirements.

They helped tell the user story and articulate it in a way that could be translated into the development process. Blue Label Labs did a great job of interpreting and distilling what we intended for the functionalities in order to design the end product.

They took us through sprints, which they compounded into our MVP [minimum viable product]. They also helped prioritize what was most important, then they brought that added value into the outcome while staying within our budget.

They also built custom background technology for the app. They have extensive experience in both iOS and Google platform development, but our budget only allowed for iOS.

Isaac: In total, we had ten team members from Blue Label Labs. We interacted with four of them on a daily basis. The CTO and CIO were active in the entirety of our development process.

Howard: Our team works closely together. We had a couple UX designers, as well as one UI designer. We also had an offshore development lead, a QA lead, and a project manager who oversaw the process.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

Isaac: They had award-winning apps, which increased their value to us. We searched on Clutch for a while, and we compared many different development companies. Blue Label Labs stood out from their competitors.

Howard: We were drawn to Blue Label Labs because their site featured existing references for other apps they’d built, which we were really impressed with. Their company was also on the East Coast, and although they had offshore developers, the fact that they were in the same time zone was attractive to us.

Isaac: We started working with them in June, and the app launched October 25. Our relationship is ongoing.

Isaac: The app has only been released for a week, but our ROI [return on investment] has already reached 150 users, which is exactly what we expected. It’s great to have all of our needs fulfilled. Our app also boasts a 5-star rating in the Apple Store, which comes from 16 separate reviews. All of the feedback has been extremely positive.

Howard: Currently, the number of downloads and engagement, including how long people stay on the app, are the two most telling metrics. We didn’t really build into our admin tool because of budget concerns, but we plan to implement analytical tools during the next phase. We were supposed to launch in December, but due to jointly working on the scope and finding ways to do things differently, we were able to launch much earlier. We are very pleased.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

Isaac: We have the tendency to look too far ahead into the future, but Blue Label Labs was able to bring us back to reality so we could focus on our short-term goals. Their project management was great. We used Trello to communicate, along with email, phone, text, etc.

Howard: They have a high level of communication, and I’ve been very pleased with David [Project Manager, Blue Label Labs]. We are a dual team, and since we’re so close to the project, we miss things sometimes. David kept bringing us back to our mission and our vision, and he always asks questions to better understand our intent. He knew our main goal was engagement, so he provided suggestions regarding a much larger approach during the development process.

We also used UberConference and InVision.

Isaac: The value that they provide is their most impressive attribute. We had a lot of specifications for user stories, and everything that we’d outlined for any company that we could have used for development. Blue Label Labs gives us succinct value, which makes them stand apart from competitors. They are very professional in their development, and their executive leadership has been absolutely incredible and unexpected.

Howard: Due to their experience with other apps, they were able to tell us what they’d seen in the past. They provided suggestions that kept us from making mistakes, and also helped us fill in the gaps when we were considering all of the possibilities.

They helped create a culture around our app, and they truly want it to be successful, which has been incredible to witness. Many of them knew nothing about football, but we’ve helped them learn. It’s like having a team that became a family.

Howard: They may be generating a lot of demand, but I sometimes find that some resources are pulled in a lot of different directions. I’m aware that it’s tough to have a fully dedicated staff on one particular project, but their growth is at a point where they may need to increase their staff.

We are a relatively small project compared to some of their other clients, and although I feel like their first priority most of the time, there has been some resource contention. This hasn’t impacted their ability to meet deadlines, but it has caused a bit of frustration on both sides.

Howard: Potentials clients should approach the project with an open mind instead of preconceived notions. They should stay true to their strategy, vision, and mission, but also allow it to evolve based on Blue Label Labs’ experience. When we gave them control sometimes, it helped us, and we got much more out of the app by letting them take ownership. They became a part of our team.

They met every single deadline, even with all the other projects they were working on. They were a fantastic team.
    We negotiated a great price, and what we received for the price we paid is outstanding.
    Their design capabilities were exceptional. Danny [Creative Director, Blue Label Labs] surpassed every single expectation I had in terms UI.
    We would recommend them to anybody planning on starting an app, but especially for startups.

Mobile App Dev for Experience Management Platform

"They feel like they’re an extension of our team, and I can pick up the phone at any time and get a response."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Blue Label Labs built a cross-platform mobile app for Android and iOS. The team contributed to almost every aspect of the project, from design to project management, delivery, and managing the release process.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Seattle, Washington
Product Manager, Market Research Firm

The mobile app was just launched, but has received very positive feedback from user testing. In terms of reliability and crashes, it’s very stable – it virtually has none. We have a direct line of communication to our product manager, as well as their CEO and CTO if needed.

I’m the product manager for an experience management and market research company. We build an experienced management platform for companies to use for customer experience, employee experience, as well as market research. I’m in charge of our closed loop follow-up product.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We needed to build a mobile app to get to market fairly quickly, much quicker than we could hire an engineering team to do so.

They contributed to almost every aspect, from scoping out the project to design, project management, delivery, and managing the release process. The app was built for both Android and iOS. We specifically chose them because they were able to build a cross-platform app in React Native which was one of our requirements.

It allows us to close the loop with our customers, and takes our closed loop follow-up offerings and makes them available in the app for people to follow-up on tickets from there triggered off of customer experience surveys. Most of the key features were custom to our product and building a mobile version of it, and it wasn't anything unique to the platforms.

They also provided mobile consulting. We’re building up stuff on our end, and they’ve been able to provide feedback and consulting services to identify the best way to do things for the mobile world.

There is one program manager, two or three developers, and one tester that are working on the project.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

The partnership started before I actually started at the company. My understanding is that there was an RFP process but I don’t know how we found them. It’s likely there were a few different vendors that were a part of it. We chose them because of their price, knowledge with React Native, and ability to build cross-platform apps.

Approximately $100,000.

We started working together in February 2017, and the engagement is ongoing.

We just launched the app, and in terms of reliability and crashes it’s very stable. We have a reporting service that alerts of us of every crash, and it has virtually none.

It’s gotten very positive feedback. We've run it through user testing on our end, and they’ve told us it’s straightforward and to the point, and that it enables them to do their jobs easily.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

It’s excellent. We have a dedicated product manager who I can contact at any time. We've set up a private Slack and they're pretty responsive to our needs. We’ve changed the scope of the projects a few times, and they’re able to adjust very well.

The overall level of communication and openness. It feels like they’re an extension of our team, and I can contact them at any time and get a response. We have a direct line of communication to our product manager, as well as their CEO and CTO if needed.

There were some initial challenges with their delivery of the product, in terms of the quality and the test coverage but that also had to do with processes on our end. It’s not clear whether it could be attributed to more us or them, but that has been resolved and the quality of the work we've been getting recently has been what we expected.

They use a lot of offshore engineers which means that the development time is often shifted across time zones. We’ll give feedback and then we know, it’s going to be 24 or 36 hours before they’re able to address it. It’s a little frustrating that their main resources are in New York, and then development has been offshore which I don't think was entirely clear to us at the beginning.

Advice for potential customers?

Be very clear on the expectations of what they are going to deliver versus what needs to be done on the client side. There are a lot of resources that we should have predicted we needed but we didn’t plan for, and as a result that's where some of the quality issues came in. Initially, we didn't plan on doing any design, but they jumped in and created a design for which wasn’t part of the original scope.

Overall Score I would feel very comfortable working with them again.
    They’ve met all deadlines when given the resources needed.
    Their pricing is very competitive, and we definitely feel like we're getting a good deal.
    The code quality leaves some to be desired.

"How To" Apps for Global Organization

"They were always there for us, and answered on time ..."

Blue Label Labs built a "How-to app"  for iOS and Android to help delegates more easily access the necessary documents, resources, and forms they need for their procedural matters.

Head of Office, Global Organization

Blue Label Labs was only complimented after the completion of the project. The app has been well received by users and all other stakeholders were satisfied with the outcome. This client highlights the relationship BLL built with their team as a standout.

We're a specialized agency of a global-focused organization devoted to capacity building and training for diplomats and civil servants of member states. I am the head of our New York office.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blue Label Labs?

We aim to provide delegates with the best tools to deliver and enhance their performance. Those tools include materials and knowledge on procedural matters. There is a lot of documentation which used to be delivered in hard copy. Due to the transformations brought by information technology, as well as the PaperSmart initiatives of the institution, we have started to develop software tools and websites in order to provide methodology and rules-and-regulations documents to the delegates of member states. We are trying to shrink the digital divide between computers, cell phones, and tablets.

Blue Label Labs developed our iOS and Android apps. Most of the information they delivered was already contained within the organization's domain. The quantity of information was overwhelming, so our apps aim to concentrate the most useful documents and tools which diplomats have to use for getting quick answers regarding meetings, trends, and international politics. We want to streamline the available information, and also include additional links and social media tools in the apps. Since everyone has a smartphone, the interaction with those devices tends to be greater than with printed material, and this is what the apps give us.

How did you come to work with Blue Label Labs?

Our organization is like any other institution, so we've gone through a procurement and bidding process, evaluating several companies regarding quality, reviews, and pricing. The personal interaction with the individuals from those groups was also a factor. We had a face-to-face meeting with Blue Label Labs' director and discussed issues. Their offer came on top among the 6–7 candidates who participated in our bidding, regarding timeframe and cost. We were ultimately happy with our choice, but we couldn't know that from the start since we are not tech-savvy people. We are diplomats and lawyers, so the guidance provided by Blue Label Labs has taught us a lot about the field.

How much have you invested with Blue Label Labs?

We negotiated an initial cost of $30,000. During the discussion process, we realized that we needed to put certain limits on the expansion of the product. The cost ended up being around $20,000. Beyond this, there were resources we had to spend within our office, regarding the time needed for providing documentation and actually launching the apps.

The apps have been live for two or three weeks.

We have been very happy with the product. It was tailor-made for us and went through several iterations in order to best satisfy our challenges.

Since launching the app, we have sent it to certain members and plan to put together banners promoting it. We are in the earliest stages of its use, but, from what I know, the people who have looked at the app have been satisfied. The simplification of the documentation and form-filling processes have been significant. We used to require actual pieces of paper for many processes, which needed to be signed and filed, but members can use their smartphones for the same tasks, and print, email, or save the results.

How did Blue Label Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

We had a very friendly relationship. I had a focal point from my office, but I wasn't absorbed by the whole process, even though I was supervising it. I kept in touch with a contact from Blue Label Labs' team on a daily basis, during the final stage. They were always there for us, and answered on time; we never had to talk to a machine when calling their office or emailing them. In the end, everything went okay.

Are there any areas Blue Label Labs could improve?

There is not much I can criticize. Blue Label Labs would be more likely to be critical of us since we asked for many things at the last minute. We pushed the timeframe since we didn't know a lot about software development.

I would recommend Blue Label Labs to anyone else, and I would engage them again for a similar project, even though that would require another bidding process.

Overall Score I was satisfied as a customer, and the interaction enabled me to understand better how the software field works. I would continue working with Blue Label Labs, and I would recommend them to anyone else.
    Blue Label Labs delivered on-time, almost every time. Two more days would have allowed us to prepare better for our launch event, but everything was okay in the end. We also requested additional changes at the last minute, so I don't blame them.
    I don't believe in perfection, but we have been satisfied. The timeframe was delayed by a couple of days, but we recognize that there was a legitimate challenge. The documentation process was extremely well-done, and the human interaction was good too.