Digital experiences to educate and inform

We’re a team of designers, developers, and strategists that build websites, apps, and software. Educational organizations, arts and cultural institutions, nonprofits, corporations, and the City of New York all rely on Blenderbox to be the agency big enough to launch their most ambitious projects, yet small enough for a collaborative day-to-day relationship. Blenderbox was founded in 1999 by a designer/developer duo Sarah Jeffries and Jason Jeffries.

The goal was to create  a “full-service” digital agency, combining both quality design and development services (hence the blend in Blenderbox).

Over the past two decades, we've helped clients of all sizes with a variety of interactive projects. During this journey, we grew fond of working with nonprofits and cultural institutions and helping them succeed, which is now a crucial part of our identity. We also came to realize that a small agency is only as good as its people, so in addition to company we keep client-wise, we place great emphasis on the type of people we hire and the overall culture of the company.

1999
Brooklyn, NY
  • 26 Dobbin Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11222

Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, CUNY, Education Development Center, Harvard, Institute of International Education, Lincoln Center Theater, Massachusetts Port Authority, National September 11 Memorial & Museum, NYC Department of Education, New Visions for Public Schools, NYC Economic Development Corporation, Smithsonian Institution, StoryCorps

Web Dev and Design for Government Agency

"[They're] one of the most capable agencies I’ve worked with in my career."

Sept. 2015 - Ongoing

Blenderbox redesigned an outdated government website, improving UX and shifting to a mobile-first approach to accommodate modern users. Improvements based on extensive focus groups and surveys.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Massachussets
IT Director, Government Agency

The redesigned site has shown measurable improvements in navigation and earned positive feedback from both internal and external users. Project management skills are second to none, and personable leadership has established a long-term business relationship.

I’m an IT director with a government agency in the Northeastern United States.

What challenge were you trying to address with Blenderbox?

We wanted to redesign our seven-year-old website to improve UX for both internal and external users and accommodate shifting technological trends.

Their first step was to speak with stakeholders from across our organization to ensure the updates met all internal requirements. From here, they conducted focus groups to determine how our 8 million annual users interact with the site. They analyzed our existing web components to determine which ones were still viable and evaluated our mobile technology platforms.

With the planning phase complete, Blenderbox built new code to redesign the user interface and secure integrations with backend systems.

Based on their analysis, Blenderbox found that most of our traffic comes through mobile platforms, so the biggest change was shifting the website to a mobile-first approach. They streamlined our older desktop-centric, image-heavy model to better reflect the way modern users interact with our site.

Following completion, they’ll continue to provide routine maintenance.

Formally, everything is funneled through the project manager. The project team typically meets once a week, sometimes twice if needed.

Informally, I have direct contact with the Blenderbox’s president. If I have any kind of issue, I can contact him and he’ll address the issue personally.

How did you come to work with Blenderbox?

As a government agency, Blenderbox was competitively selected and chosen from a number of RFP responses. Their proposal went through a very thorough process and was ultimately selected by a diverse committee of people from across the organization.

We started working together in September, 2015 and our relationship is ongoing.

In terms of social media, our analytics show that users have very positive sentiments about the new site, particularly the mobile-first design. We’ve also seen a dramatic increase in traffic to webpages that previously underperformed, which we attribute to improved site navigation.

Internal feedback has been great, with our executives responding very favorably.

How did Blenderbox perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re exceptional. The project manager they assigned is meticulous, detail-oriented, and one of the better project managers I've worked with in my 20 years of experience. We communicate through phone, e-mail, and various web tools, including Sifter for tracking issues and Basecamp for regular project communications.

The dedication of their president's senior leadership. When they presented their proposal, I asked what set Blenderbox apart. Their CEO looked me in the eye and explained that he stands behind his developers, project managers, and his company as a whole, and promised to personally ensure our satisfaction. You don't often see that level of dedication and he's stood behind every word.

I can't think of any deficiencies at this point. They've proven themselves capable and dedicated, so there's nothing I can fault them on.

Advice for potential customers?

Blenderbox is everything you would expect from a web development company. They schedule and complete goals in a professional manner, but what sets them apart is the dedication of their leadership. This makes them one of the most capable agencies I’ve worked with in my career.

Overall Score Any new relationship has initial hiccups, but they’re well worth the investment.
    They accomplish what they set out do.
    Their costs are above-average, but they deliver.
    Only because perfection is impossible. Their deliverables often exceed my expectations.
    I would recommend them in a nanosecond.