Web Design, Development & Digital Marketing

Since 2004, we have succeeded in becoming one of the nations premier graphic design and web design / web development firms crafting innovative graphics, responsive website design, usability, content management, and SEO every day.

2004
    15720 Brixham Hill Avenue, Suite 300
    Charlotte, NC 28277
    877-749-5962

Web Design for Health Organization

"They're very sensitive to our budget and help prioritize tasks and projects as they arise."

June 2015 - Ongoing

Black Bear Design provides ongoing web design expertise. The came on board to work on ColdFusion and eventually migrated the site over to WordPress. They also handle SEO and AdWords.

Atlanta, Georgia
Manager, Medical Education Company

Black Bear Design’s resources put in a great effort to keep the site running until its migration. The updated site has more exposure and improved SEO. Now, 55%–60% of users are on mobile devices and organic orders are increasing nationwide. The team is responsive and delivers deliver quality work.

We offer courses to medical providers in the United States and Canada.

What challenge were you trying to address with Black Bear Design?

We originally came onboard with Black Bear Design because our site was in ColdFusion format. It was an older platform that very few developers worked in or spoke the language of ColdFusion.

After we worked with Black Bear on our site for a time, Joel and his team helped us make the decision that it was best to move onto an upgraded platform, which has proven to be much easier to maintain than ColdFusion. When we moved our services completely over to Black Bear, they implemented the site design template which we had already created with our previous developers. Black Bear set up the template and trained us so that we could work on the data entry. We chose to do the data entry ourselves due to the technical nature of the content.

Our entire business has become more automated since they've come on board. Things like shipping and customer orders are all more streamlined which is great. Our customers have the flexibility to easily add items to their cart, select from a variety of shipping methods and utilize coupon codes - features which were more cumbersome on our previous platform.

We are fairly vocal as a client about precisely how we want the product to develop, so we may not allow them as much freedom as they perhaps should be given. But they have wisely advised and encouraged us to add more modern features to our site such as a blog and Facebook postings to drive more traffic. They have also made helpful suggestions on placement of certain functions and links on the site.

Since one of the goals of the new site was to drive traffic, they have worked a lot on our Google SEO campaign. This has been very helpful. Our previous SEO personnel were not monitoring the ads closely enough and we were not getting the most benefit out of our pay-per-click campaigns. The careful attention to the SEO end has proven very helpful for traffic and sales.

How did you come to work with Black Bear Design?

We had our previous site on a dedicated server offered through another provider. Our previous ColdFusion developer had to relocate and our sales rep researched ColdFusion specialists. He put us in touch with Black Bear. It happened that Black Bear’s location was geographically ideal for us as well.

How much have you invested with Black Bear Design?

We do a $1,250 per month retainer fee, which covers 10 hours of site maintenance, SEO, graphics, and special projects.

We started working with them in June 2015.

As we transitioned to our new platform, Joel, Randee and the team put in many long hours to get our site up and running smoothly. The new site has proven to be more streamlined for our administrative side as well as the customer engagement.

Since revamping our SEO campaign, we immediately noticed more “organic” traffic from many regions of the country from which we had not previously had much customer engagement. We also became more mobile responsive which greatly improved our Google SEO score. It's opened up a lot of traffic and a larger customer base because about 55%–60% of our users are on mobile devices now, so it's critical to have that function.

How did Black Bear Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Very excellent. I really appreciate their responsiveness. They're always very eager with monthly meetings and audits to make sure we’re on task. They very quickly get things done.

Jena Simonds, who is the project manager, is very prompt. If we're involved in any sort of project, she says, "We need to get this done. Take a look at this deadline." and so on. She's very well organized and helps keep me on track as well.

What did you find most impressive about Black Bear Design?

They’re sensitive to the needs of a small business. I get the sense they can appreciate and perhaps recall what it was like to work to build the foundation of a business, grow the business, hire new people, and strive for a great business model. They're very sensitive to our budget and help prioritize tasks and projects as they arise.

In working with them, you get the feel of a family-owned and operated business with the resources of a large outfit.

Are there any areas Black Bear Design could improve?

No. I really couldn't have asked much more from them, especially considering what they came in on with our older platform. We knew the platform migration would be a huge project, but Black Bear’s team worked efficiently to help us make as smooth a transition as possible.

Always on time.
    I don't have much to compare it to with other groups because we've not been on retainer before. But we always make our deadlines, and it's good quality work, so it's a great value for the money.
    If we're giving them a project and we ask that it be done, it's always done correctly. There's not much back and forth to correct any changes that have been made.
    I've already recommended them to several people.

Marketing & Design for Soccer Club

"They're very proactive and cognizant of the budget we're working with."

2014 - Ongoing

Black Bear provided various design and marketing services. They improved the client's SEO, designed street signs, created newsletters, and posted Facebook and Google ads.

Atlanta, Georgia
Jon Akin
Owner, Future Stars Soccer Academy

Business has increased 25% in the past year as a result of Black Bear's work. The client has been very impressed with Black Bear's professionalism in products, communication, and customer relations.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

I am the owner at Future Stars Soccer Academy.

What challenge were you trying to address with Black Bear Design?

We needed to increase our revenue and fill spots for our camp programs. We thought improving our online presence would be a good way to achieve those goals.

They’ve done some design work for us, enhanced our SEO, and placed ads on Facebook and Google. They designed our street signs and our newsletters as well.

How did you come to work with Black Bear Design?

A mutual friend introduced us, and we had a couple of meetings. I did my own review of their work with some other clients. I was very impressed. We started out with a small retainer and then upped it to some of the packaging. We’re now in our second year of working with them, and I’m very satisfied with everything.

How much have you invested with Black Bear Design?

Our retainer is for 20 to 25 hours. My marketing budget is between $1,500 and $2,000 a month.

We’ve been working with them for two years now, and we’re still with them, so the relationship is ongoing.

Could you share any evidence that would demonstrate the productivity, quality of work or the impact of the engagement?

Our business is up 25% this year. We went from being a very good product, but looking like a mom and pop shop, to “Wow, that’s a great product.” Everything Black Bear Design does is very professional—not just the product itself but the communication piece, the clients, and all the literature is consistent with our product.

How did Black Bear Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They have done very well. They keep us up to date on how close we are to filling our hours. They’re very proactive and cognizant of the budget we’re working with. I really appreciate that.

What did you find most impressive about Black Bear Design?

From a customer service and delivery standpoint, Black Bear Design is very interactive, friendly, and hands on. We’re both based in Atlanta, so we can easily meet. They were not condescending because we didn’t know much about marketing, but explained things and let us choose. The rapport is great.

Are there any areas Black Bear Design could improve?

I don’t think so. I’m 100% satisfied.

Content Marketing for Mortgage Firm

"Black Bear Design goes above and beyond to make sure I’m taken care of."

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

Black Bear manages the client's online presence with SEO and online media services. They updated the client's website, post weekly blog articles, and manage various social media accounts.

San Diego, California
Alex Caragiannides
Branch Manager. New American Funding

Black Bear's work has earned the client 10 new customers, equaling about $4 million in loan value. Site traffice, leads, and social media engagement have increased drastically.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

We are a mortgage company, and I am the business development manager and loan officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with Black Bear Design?

I wanted to get my brand, image, and team name on the digital map. I wanted more exposure on social media and online in general.

They revamped my website, post blog articles weekly, and work on my social media. They have increased my exposure through SEO and online media.

How did you come to work with Black Bear Design?

I’m in a Mastermind group with someone who’s in the mortgage business on the east coast. He had his company use them for their website. I liked the way his website looked. I reached out to the owner of Black Bear Design and had a really good discussion. Based on that experience, I decided to give them a shot. We signed up for a six-month commitment and never looked back.

How much have you invested with Black Bear Design?

I am paying $2,500 for the service and probably another $1,000 to $1,500 for Facebook and other social media ads.

I’ve been with Black Bear Design about eight months.

I have gotten ten new clients who found me on social media. That equaled about $4 million in loan value for me. I’ve also probably met over 50 realtor partners. That’s mostly how I get new people, from the realtors referring me. The increase in traffic on my website has gone up one thousand percent in six months. Social media engagement has increased considerably along with leads.

How did Black Bear Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Excellent. They were able to stay on top of everything. I would definitely give them a 5 out of 5 with regard to project management.

What did you find most impressive about Black Bear Design?

Black Bear Design goes above and beyond to make sure I’m taken care of. They serve me professionally and they stay in touch with me outside of work. Everyone at Black Bear Design always responds to my text messages, emails, calls, and questions. They don’t treat me like I’m a client. They treat me like a relationship they want to see grow. They want me to be successful. They have clients spending way more money than I spend, but they still treat me like a VIP.

Are there any areas Black Bear Design could improve?

I don’t want to sound like they’re doing anything wrong—because they’re not—but getting me more exposure and more leads would be nice.

SEO for Material Handling Company

"I was impressed by how Black Bear Design handles our business relationship."

Black Bear provided HTML coding and SEO services. They also assisted with copywriting, graphic design, and marketing automation, and launched several PPC programs and Facebook ads. They are currently on a monthly retainer.

Boston, Massachusetts
Marketing Manager, Material Handling Company

The website is now loading faster, the images are optimized, and the bounce rate is decreasing. The client commended Black Bear's project management, citing their online system, weekly reporting, and availability.

I am the marketing manager for an integrated material handling company in the Northeast.

What challenge were you trying to address with Black Bear Design?

Since I'm not a programmer or developer, I needed help with the development and design of a WordPress website. I can manage to a degree but, sometimes, I have more complex things that demand my attention. My former agency was a one-person shop who subcontracted tasks to people overseas. I was not happy with their work, so I decided to look for a different contractor. I wanted an agency that had the skill set I could tap into. Also, the agency should be small enough that I could work directly with them.

Black Bear Design focused on HTML coding and SEO [search engine optimization] for this project. They also helped with copywriting, graphic design, and marketing automation. We also launched some PPC [pay-per-click] programs and Facebook ads.

How did you come to work with Black Bear Design?

I got an email from the business development person at Black Bear, and I searched them online. We had a good connection, and I felt good about what they offered and how they operated.

How much have you invested with Black Bear Design?

We pay a monthly retainer fee of $3,400 to Black Bear Design. They provide a specific number of hours each month. If we go over that amount, we can pay for another block of hours.

My company has an ongoing engagement with Black Bear Design. I consider them an extension of my marketing team.

Black Bear Design is cleaning up our website, and it's still a work in progress. One of my original concerns was the bounce rate on the website. Now, it's slowly going in the right direction. The website is loading faster than it used to and the images have been optimized. We also post a weekly blog that Black Bear Design handles occasionally. The project manager from Black Bear Design interviews our sales people and write a blog post. She has done a fantastic job of grasping the concepts based on the background information I provided.

How did Black Bear Design perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager from Black Bear Design is wonderful. I can email or call her anytime. They have an online project system and they send me weekly reports. That works out well for us.

What did you find most impressive about Black Bear Design?

I was impressed by how Black Bear Design handles our business relationship. They're learning our business, and ours is a unique and complex industry. It's rare for me to say this to Black Bear Design: "You missed the target." I think it's only been twice in two years. They're pretty timely, and I've never had an issue with deadlines. They are always working in the background. They are also pretty proactive. When they see things are slow, they pick up the phone and ask what else they can help with. For me, it's all about the relationship, and I've seen the work they've done.

Are there any areas Black Bear Design could improve?

I don't always see the results for SEO and other long-term tasks. I don't know if there's anything that Black Bear Design can give me that would make me feel more comfortable and confident about what's going on. However, I can view several reports from Black Bear Design, and they are always open to questions. There was also a big hiccup early on, but we've worked through that, and we came out OK.

Web Design for Neighborhood Watch Organizations

"Black Bear Design has good people who work hard and get the job done."

2013 - Ongoing

Black Bear Design developed a website and corresponding backend database management. The agency is also collaborating on the creation of a mobile app.

Atlanta Metro Area
Rodney Russell
President, The National Association of Neighborhood Watch Organizations

The website has been functioning smoothly for several years. Black Bear Design delivered high-quality results and quickly resolved minor issues after the website’s launch. The team is experienced and can be trusted to complete complex tasks.

Our company is called The National Association of Neighborhood Watch Associations Inc. We're based in Atlanta, Georgia. We have a program that helps people stay up to date with what's happening in and around their neighborhood. We're also developing an app that travels along with people. Wherever they may be, if there is a problem, they can report it, and everyone within a mile will get a notification. The website has been up for a couple of years. The app is not on the market yet.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Black Bear Design Group?

We needed a company to build our website.

They developed our site, including the backend database management for it. The app development is contracted to a group in India, but Black Bear Design is the brains behind it.

How did you come to work with Black Bear Design Group?

Joel Black was recommended by a friend who had also used Black Bear Design.

The total cost for the website development was $10,000.

We started working together in 2013. The website was launched that same year.

There were issues to be resolved when it first came online, but overall their work was very good.

What distinguishes Black Bear Design Group from other providers?

Black Bear Design Group has good people who work hard and get the job done. I'm not tech savvy, so I leave that work to them.

Is there anything Black Bear Design Group could have improved or done differently?

The vendors in India that Black Bear Design use are moving along slower than anticipated, but that's to be expected because of the nature of such collaborations.