Better apps, together

Bixlabs designs and develops software for iOS, Android and web.

We're co-located in Uruguay and Houston, and communicate with our partners on a daily and weekly basis, using a mature Agile approach. Project management software we’re already very familiar with: JIRA, Confluence, Teamwork, Pivotal Tracker and Trello.

Each project we take on receives the dedication and time it deserves.

We really enjoy working on projects that have a social impact, making us proud of our work and inspiring us to go the extra mile.

Let's make better apps, together.

Montevideo, Uruguay

Trainsmart

Agile GPS

Hesta Home

SurgeMaker

We have been collaborating with Gearstream for the last two years, giving them the competitive advantage of having a development team without the constraits and all the benefits of working with Latin America.

Inspectus

Client was looking for a mobile expert that could help their company to develop an hybrid app for home inspectors to keep track of their day work and upload information on the go.

Within three months they started improving their productivity with the app we created for them.

Math Quizzer

Android app targetting all age groups which challenges the user in four categories and three different skill levels. We helped this client taking his product from idea to launch in less than two months.

Queblo

Queblo is an application that connects business centers with local workers whose main objective is to create fast links between jobs and local workers.

With an efficient and intuitive app, we structured and simplified the communication between companies and local work.

Chrysallis

Chrysallis is a doctor, a conselour and a friend in your pocket. Get advice, improve a skill, ditch sugar, all from your iPhone, at your pace, within your privacy.

We are helping this customer becoming their development team, allowing the growth of the company and the product.

Zeco Energy

Android App Dev for Social Polling App Firm

"We have a well-organized project, thanks to Bixlabs."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Bixlabs created an Android app to complement an existing iOS app that combines marketing with analytics. The team now helps to maintain server-side issues.

CEO, Social Polling App Firm

The final app has received over 5,000 downloads along with good feedback. Bixlabs is communicative and organized, making it easy to track where fees are going. They are personable and easy to talk to with great English.

I am the CEO of a social polling application that combines the social engagement side of marketing with analytics.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

We wanted to create an Android version of our application.

They developed the Android version of the app.  They also provide engineers to do the server-side work for us. However, I am not familiar with the technology they have used.

They assigned 3 members of their team to our project. Our initial contact was Alfredo, and we were in touch with Matias as well. We have 1 web developer, 1 server-side developer, and they also have a part-time graphic designer on their team.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

We had worked with a freelance developer to create the iOS version of the app, whom I had found via Upwork. When we told him we were looking to expand to Android and to get someone to help us out with server work, he recommended a few people. Those people ended up working for Bixlabs.

We went through a review process with Bixlabs, and looked at samples of other projects they had completed. We knew they would be a good team, having been recommended by our iOS developer, and we have loved working with them.

We have spent approximately $40,000.

We started working with Bixlabs in March 2017. The project is ongoing.

We have gotten 5,000—10,000 downloads on the Android app. We’ve had very few complaints, and we are currently somewhere in between 4.3 and 4.4 stars on Google Play. Most of the negative reviews have been from people who were trolling.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Asana with them. They supplied us with a project manager, Ana Dawson, who is wonderful. We have a well-organized project, thanks to Bixlabs. Even though they are based in Uruguay, their English is perfect on all media: Skype, Slack, and email. We have been very impressed with their work, and it has been cost effective.

Some of their key strengths are their willingness to communicate, they like to stay on top of deadlines and budget everything hourly so that we are able to track cost easily. They communicate very well through Skype calls, webinars, or any means necessary. They are personable people which is the biggest thing. I really enjoy talking with their team.

Developing apps can be tricky. With any company I have worked with, it is about trying to meet deadlines faster.

Overall Score They have been great to work with, and we look forward to continuing the relationship for a long time.
    We have already done so twice.

Web App Dev for Healthcare Startup

"Bixlabs really met us on equal footing."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Bixlabs provides full-stack development for 2 neonatal-focused mobile-based web apps, strategizing and building an initial beta for NICU testing and starting a second product to coordinate caretakers.

Oakland, California
Yaya Ren
Co-Founder, PreeMe + You

Thanks to Bixlabs’ precise construction, the initial solution attracted enthusiastic responses from medical staff and parents alike. The team’s compelling designs, attentiveness, and top-notch workflow organization continue to boost productivity.

I am the CEO of PreeMe + You, which is a social benefit startup based in Oakland, California. We address disparities in premature and neonatal health in the United States and around the world.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

Both I and my co-founder are both academically research-driven and trained. I’m an anthropologist, and the co-founder is a neonatologist. We have a lot of knowledge about this field as far as what is needed to bridge the current gap and which tools we need to create, but we’re not tech people. The whole idea of making apps in Silicon Valley seemed foreign to us. It was out of our scope of training.

We needed someone with tech expertise to help us build our app. I also wanted a firm that really had a social mission and that understood our goals. We’re not a typical Silicon Valley tech startup that’s trying to get rich. We come from research and academia. Our focus is on understanding health needs. We really wanted to apply a lot of what we’ve learned over the last 20 years. We’ve seen the need, and we know that we need a technology-based solution in order to make health more accessible.

We are working with a pretty small budget. So, we strategized with Bixlabs and came up with this idea of doing a mobile-based web app as an initial beta that will be tested in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). We’ve created a neonatal app that tracks maturation of preemies from the time they’re admitted to a NICU through discharge. We are also designing a second app that’s going to help preemies and their families with developmental exercises and assessments in a way that lets parents partner with their child’s medical caretakers.

We had 2 developers throughout the process, but we only used 1 at a time.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

Our technical director works with many different technical firms. He has a lot of experience in this space. Bixlabs really met us on equal footing. They are very skilled as app developers and in the tech world, but they also really recognize they’re helping us build our vision to meet a need.

They are great listeners and really understand the problem we’re trying to solve, and they bring in the right tech expertise. The whole team is mission-driven. I felt we were well-aligned. I also selected them because they didn’t do business in the typical Silicon Valley way where everything is highly aggressive. We wanted to be a different kind of social benefit tech startup. We are really about creating community and prioritizing fair contracts between firms.

We started working with them sometime between March and May 2017.

Throughout the development, they really understood that we will be using this app with families with premature infants and also with doctors in the neonatal space. Doctors in this area are very reluctant to test any kind of new technology. Bixlabs understood that whatever product they made, we would have to do multiple iterations after that. A lot of testing would have to happen before we are comfortable launching the product into the open market.

For the first time, the NICU has an app that doctors and nurses and parents can all use together. This is the first product of its kind. The fact that busy medical staff are enthusiastic and actually willing to give feedback shows that Bixlabs’ work was really excellent. These are families under distress. No user is going to be willing to even test it or give us feedback if the app’s not helpful. The first introduction has to be compelling so that people are interested enough to give feedback, which allows us to keep on improving the app. If the product wasn’t done well, nobody would sign up to test it because everyone is too busy.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

They assigned a project manager, George, who was really wonderful at balancing Bixlabs’ interests with our own interests. He often acted as a bridge. I know they’re open to using all different kinds of project management software. They decided which project management software they were going to use based on our specific needs.

What really stood out for me was the thoughtfulness that they showed and their willingness to engage with other areas of expertise. I went with a gigantic firm that was used to large corporate projects. Of course, I feared that I would not get the same amount of attention as I’d receive from a boutique firm. I was really comfortable with Bixlabs; they give every client the amount of attention that they need. With every app development project, there’s always going to be issues with what’s in scope and what’s out of scope. They were really great working through any bumps or obstacles to ensure everything was fair.

They are based in Uruguay, and our team doesn’t speak Spanish. They write all their codes in Spanish, so after translating some of the app text to English, a lot of little grammar mistakes appeared. Most of these were minor issues, but they did create extra work on our part to have to deal with the language translations. Their English is great, and they have project managers that are completely bilingual. It’s mostly just small translational issues.

They’re really good at giving deadlines. If I needed to add anything, they explained that the timeline would have to stretch. They’re great at deadline management.
    As a smaller startup, we want to be able to get the same amount of attention that a bigger startup with more money would get. I think they are very equitable that way.
    Their tech capacity is top-notch. They didn’t shove their tech expertise in our space. Instead, they use tech as a tool to help their clients.
    They’re fantastic.

Application Dev for Civic Engagement Technology Organization

"They kept the big picture of the project in mind."

Jan. 2017 - Mar. 2017

Bixlabs developed a mobile app for iOS using Xcode, which required interfacing with Google and Facebook APIs. The app has launched and they’ll be considered as a partner for future projects.

Mike Perez
Founder, Front Porch Politics

Bixlabs created an app that performs well. Their tech-savvy team didn’t require excessive formalities, had great communication skills, and the option of a project manager allowed greater focus on other aspects. They can improve on initial planning and feedback process.

I’m the founder of Front Porch Politics, which is a small business working on using technology to increase civic engagement.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

I was looking for a development agency to develop a mobile app.

So far, we only have the iOS version of the app and they built it using Xcode. We worked with Google and Facebook APIs. We didn’t have to build any databases on the backend of the app, though.

We had one developer at a time and one project manager. We switched developers half way through as resources got reassigned.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

I found Bixlabs through Clutch and was impressed by what seemed like a solid foundation around application development and user experience design. I felt like they would be capable of building an app that performed well and looked and felt nice to use.

How much have you invested with Bixlabs?

We spent between $12,000–$14,000.

We started working with them in January 2017, and the app was launched in March of the same year. The relationship is ongoing but we are not currently working on anything.

We are very pleased with the final product. The cost was definitely lower than if I was working with an agency in the United States. Communicating with them was easy and I appreciated working with a small team as opposed to having to guard against the team being overstaffed and being overcharged. They were great thought partners for the project and its implementation is something I’m really pleased with. I’m going to continue working with them moving forward.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

We used email and Skype to communicate. They had me use JIRA so I could see the user stories and the backlog and provide feedback. That was sufficient since it wasn’t a terribly complex project.

Their communication was good and the project manager was a valuable addition. They kept the big picture of the project in mind. Under other circumstances, I suppose an entrepreneur or company could provide the project manager role themselves and interface directly with developers. In my case, it was something that allowed me to focus on other things while the project manager helped research the APIs that we needed to interact with, think about the logical flow of the app, and bridge the gap between the division and the technical implementation.

What did you find most impressive about Bixlabs?

I don’t have much to compare them to. They seemed to be very technically competent without an overly formalized process. I feel like I was dealing with people that would produce something of high quality in a lean way.

Are there any areas Bixlabs could improve?

There were aspects of working with the Facebook API that complicated the project and created the need for some unexpected iterations. I think more rigorous planning up front might have saved us time and money.

There were also some frequent typos in the app. To a certain extent, it’s a limitation of the iOS developer platform, but the workflow for discovering those errors and having them corrected was challenging because I had to download a new version of the app on TestFlight and then play with it to notice the typos. Then, I had to communicate with the project manager who would tell the developer to get them fixed in an upcoming sprint. Later, I would have to download the new app to try it again.

Ideally, there should be a way to form a tighter feedback loop there. It’s probably a challenge with the language barrier since English is not everyone’s first language. Some additional care and oversight around the copy for the application would save time and money.

We slowed down because of some unexpected hurdles with the Facebook API and challenges around administrative approval from Facebook. We dealt with those in good time, so I’m still pleased, but more research upfront might have made that go more smoothly.
    The value was high compared to an agency in the US. While I have no way of confirming if my expectations were realistic, what makes it a 4 instead of a 5 is that it was a relatively simple MVP app and I was hoping to get it done for under $10,000.
    The quality of service and the results were quite satisfying. There were just a few things that I felt could have gone better.
    I haven’t had the opportunity yet, but I would if the opportunity arose.

Web Design and Development for Consulting Firm

"I am relying on them to grow our business. With their help, I’ll be able to grow into additional markets."

Bixlabs assisted with design and development of a new website, augmenting staff for a third-party client. The assigned team worked on modifying a foursquare API to include a variety of content.

CEO, Human Centered Design Firm

Although the website project was canceled, Bixlabs remains a partner and supports the expansion into other markets. They handle requests quickly thanks to their time zone. While they could adopt a more Agile approach, Bixlabs’ professionalism, competence, and good English help them stand out.

The company is a human-centered design and design thinking company working primarily in the B2B sector. A lot of our clients are startups, but we also have B2C and enterprise solution work. We’re either working with CEOs of startups that are developing products that sell directly to consumers, or we work with companies that are building enterprise solution products. I’m the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

We were looking for someone who could complement our design expertise. We deal primarily with design, design thinking, project management, and product ownership, but we lack a technology partner. We’re based out of New York City, so finding talent is economically prohibitive. We needed to find New York caliber talent at a price that allows us to stay in the game.

Bixlabs helped us with the design and development of a brand-new website. Our client had internal resources, but they were all tied up in other projects. As a consultant, when a client asks us to design some specific elements of a project, that could also mean that they want us to design the whole thing including development. Having Bixlabs as our technology partner allows us to be nimble and flexible and grow according to our needs. We can continue pushing forward on our projects in NYC, but when the opportunity comes along, we know we have a very reliable and resourceful partner in Bixlabs.

We worked with Juan and Nico [UI/UX Leader, Bixlabs] on the project. I was already carrying another client so I didn’t have the time to devote myself to this website project. I was able to give Nico direction in where my vision was and he was able to run with it. We would review his work every couple of days and I would give him feedback so he could continue on the execution side. I only needed to spend a few hours with the client on the strategic side and Nico would be able to execute on the tactical side. We ended up using a foursquare platform that was going to be heavily further developed in order to not look so foursquare-ish and to include the content that we were selling to the client. Juan was able to use his magic to make it perform the mission that Nico and I brought to the table.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

I needed someone on short notice and I found them online. I had some experience with European developers and had been talking to some of my developer friends. One of them suggested that I check out South American firms because they have good talent and they are also in the same time zone as New York. When I was searching, I found Bixlabs on Clutch. I asked my developer friend about them to make sure they were vetted accordingly. My friend, who’s a full stack developer, went online to review Bixlabs’ portfolio and he said they knew what they were doing. They can do frontend and backend in the right tech languages, so it was a no-brainer from there.

How much have you invested with Bixlabs?

We spent $5,000 on the project. If I had wanted to accomplish the same level of iteration and prototyping with local talent, the price would have been tripled if not more.

We started working with them in August 2016, and I continue working with them. I’m now switching my services to let my clients know that we not only provide design and design thinking, but we can also take their projects from concept to development. I am relying on them to grow our business. With their help, I’ll be able to grow into additional markets.

The website project was canceled by the client and was never implemented. We’ve now partnered with the CEO of a company that is looking to raise money. She’s speaking to venture capitalist firms and the investors want to know who’s going to build the project and it’s then that I tell them about Bixlabs.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

They used a software management communication tool which was their own version of Slack. I have a very specific approach to project management. I tend to manage my own projects.

What did you find most impressive about Bixlabs?

When working with companies from India or Europe, there is a problem with the time difference. One thing that makes Bixlabs very favorable is the time zone they’re in. There were a couple of times I needed something done quickly and they did whatever they needed to do to get it done by the next day. That speaks to their level of professionalism and competence. It’s a huge lesson that you don’t need to be in New York to be a great developer; you can be anywhere.

Are there any areas Bixlabs could improve?

I would love to be able to work with them in a more Agile manner, possibly like Trello. They used their own version of Slack, but now that Slack is very ubiquitous, it would be advantageous for them to implement Slack with all of their clients or come aboard their clients’ Slack channel. Tools like Trello, JIRA, or Rally would be beneficial so that there’s transparency in what’s being done from a project management standpoint. Their English communication was excellent, and they also helped me work on my Spanish communications.

I worked with their project manager to make sure things were getting done in a timely manner. Not that they didn’t get done in a timely manner, but we were setting expectations.
    The cost/benefit relationship that came out of it was phenomenal and it’s one of the reasons I continue to use them.
    Since I manage most of my projects, I didn’t give them a fair chance. Their level of design wasn’t up to par with what we bring to the table. However, we don’t have development capabilities so any development they created was the best thing for us.
    I have already recommended them.

Web Dashboard App for Chatbots Startup

"Bixlabs' performance is quite high, as is the quality of the work. The code delivered is quite clean."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Bixlabs built a project management platform based on a Slack plug-in, designing a standalone app that was integrated to the existing backend. The team is now working on the next product iteration.

Zlapps
Co-Founder, Collaboration

The beta app received favorable UI/UX reviews from investors, which was largely due to Bixlabs’ skilled and experienced developers. A commitment to delivering clean code and meeting deadlines made Bixlabs an ideal partner.

I am a business co-founder of Zlapps. We provide a Slack plug-in that allows people to create tasks, assign them to team members, set due dates, and get reminders, all within the platform. Our application is being used by around 60,000 teams.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

We wanted to grow outside of Slack and build a standalone application that connected to the existing backend.

Bixlabs was brought in to develop our application. They provided one frontend and one backend developer, as well as a UX/UI [user experience/user interface] designer.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

As a startup running an accelerated program, we had been given a set amount of money for working on our product and building the business. We were looking for a development team in a similar time zone to our office in Los Angeles, one which wouldn't be too far away from the US. My co-founder is from Argentina, so South America appealed to him. He researched agencies online, found Bixlabs, liked the initial meeting, and went from there.

How much have you invested with Bixlabs?

The cost of Bixlabs' work has been between $10,000 and $50,000.

We started working with Bixlabs six to eight weeks ago. The application has been released to the market, but we are continuously working on it.

Bixlabs' performance is quite high, as is the quality of the work. The code delivered is quite clean. We have released the software only two days ago, so there is not a lot of feedback yet. What we've build had been a highly requested feature from our users. We have only released to beta users, so it would be hard to provide statistics. So far, they have been really enjoying the dashboard and the overall product. Our investors like our results as well, in terms of look and functionality.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

We use Slack for communication and JIRA for tickets. We work on weekly sprints, and the performance of our developers has always been good. They have worked as much as was needed in order to meet our deadlines, including on weekends when we had a deadline for Monday.

What did you find most impressive about Bixlabs?

I've worked for an agency that had overseas developers. The quality of Bixlabs' team is high in comparison to what we had. They may have a better recruitment or training process, which resulted in better developers. I also think that their members are very experienced. We simply liked their skillset and the results of the work.

I don't have anything.

Overall Score We're very happy with Bixlabs and everything they produced. In comparison to the same skillsets in the US or Australia, the level of experience we've gotten from Bixlabs gives much better value.
    Bixlabs adhered to the timeframe. Some of the developers do work flexible hours, but that didn't impact the deadline. It's more about deliverables than set working hours.
    The reason for using Bixlabs was that, as a startup, we do have budget limitations.
    The quality of the work was high, and the code was good. Bixlabs stuck to our deadlines, and they communicated well
    I would definitely recommend Bixlabs to a friend or colleague. We were very happy with Bixlabs' performance and delivery.

iOS App Dev for Dating Platform

"I found every person from Bixlabs to be knowledgeable in their respective field, and very reliable."

Sep. 2016 - Ongoing

Bixlabs provided development and design expertise for a dating app, which launched its alpha version, as well as hosting and security solutions.

Founder, Dating Platform

Strengths included the ability to strategically guide startups and communicate with non-technical clients. Assigned resources were knowledgeable, reliable, and proactive.

I am the founder of the business. We are developing a dating app that is currently in alpha mode. I am self-funding and work as a one-person show, for the most part.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

I had wireframes for my iOS app, but that was about it. I definitely needed a partner who could not only build the app but also fill in some of the gaps I had in terms of knowledge and experience for launching the app to the store, making it secure, and so on.

I handed them PDF wireframes. Based on the wireframes, the team not only built my iOS app but also provided valuable feedback and advice. I've always worked with one project manager from Bixlabs. He used designers and developers as needed, with one coder working for me on a permanent basis. Bixlabs has also made tweaks to my logo and general design.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

I found Bixlabs through a lead generation source. I filled out information with regards to my needs and gave some basic information. I was connected to three different companies—Bixlabs, an Indian company, and a US-based one. I spoke with all three. Similar to a dating process, I found that Bixlabs was a good fit based on our conversations. I'm sure that all companies could build an app, but when thinking about daily and weekly interactions and who provided the best rapport, Bixlabs easily won. I am based in California and Bixlabs is in Uruguay, so it was nice to only have a four- or five-hour time difference depending on the time of year—compared to a team in India, for example. They've always been accommodating in making meetings work despite this difference. There's never been a language barrier. Bixlabs' team has perfect English skills, both written and oral. They've done a great job of delivering not only what I put on paper, but also in questioning me on what was missing or could be tweaked. I expected that Bixlabs would only build what I put on paper, but they have helped make the app better.

How much have you invested with Bixlabs?

The cost of Bixlabs' work was between $50,000 and $100,000.

I started working with Bixlabs in September or October 2016. The alpha version is complete, and we're making tweaks in order to be able to launch a beta.

We don't have any meaningful quantitative metrics yet, but, from a qualitative perspective, the benefits I've gotten from working with Bixlabs have led to a great partnership, versus having only a vendor relationship. They are vested in giving me the best possible app and in giving users the best possible experience. I've appreciated the fact that Bixlabs has been willing to question me in a positive way. They've definitely helped us take what we already thought was a good idea and make it that much better in a collaborative fashion.

As a non-technical person, I found Bixlabs to be a huge asset and education resource for the things I needed to do and know in order to build and launch an app. They've helped me through many of the procedural elements that I would never have thought of. Bixlabs has offered different solutions for everything, whether it be security, hosting, and all other decisions that needed to be made.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

I had a dedicated project manager whom I knew was my go-to person, whether it was through email, weekly calls, Skype, and so on. For the most part, we've had weekly calls since the beginning, which would vary in length depending on how much had happened in the previous week, what decisions needed to be made, and what we had to share between each other. We also used Google Hangouts for meetings, Google Docs for sharing information, and Instabug for capturing information from users and generating reports. We didn't use Slack.

What did you find most impressive about Bixlabs?

Bixlabs is a very knowledgeable group. They have experience in various facets such as design expertise or development. I found every person from Bixlabs to be knowledgeable in their respective field, and very reliable. No deadlines have been pushed from Bixlabs' side, compared to friends' projects that took a lot longer than anticipated to design and build. Bixlabs definitely cares about end results and are great at giving me extra attention and care, which can't be found in other vendors.

Are there any areas Bixlabs could improve?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I have collaborated and communicated with Bixlabs very effectively, and I have no complaints.

Overall Score I hope to be working with Bixlabs for a long time.
    Every schedule and calendar provided by Bixlabs were easily hit or even delivered early.
    The cost was definitely less than having someone on staff in the US and comparable to what I had seen with Indian companies. I also talked to a company in Romania, so I’m assured that the value I got was equal to that of other offshore companies.
    Everything was on time and better than I spec’d out.
    Selfishly, I would want to keep Bixlabs for myself.

App Backend Dev for Digital Agency

"Bixlabs is willing to go the extra mile in getting things done. They are flexible, responsible, and dedicated to the work."

Aug. 2016 - Apr. 2017

Bixlabs developed the backend/frontend systems of custom digital products. The first project, which helps hospitals schedule patient appointments, is nearing completion.

Damjan Krajacic
Creative Director, Active Color

Assigned resources excelled in both development and project management. Bixlabs' key strength was their personal approach and level of care for the project. They went the extra mile in getting things done and were flexible, responsible, and dedicated to the work.

I am the creative director and founder of Active Color, which is an agency focused on strategy, design, and development for digital products.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

We had been trying to find a partner whom we could trust to develop a heavier backend system and other custom projects. Specifically, we were developing a medical initiative system that would tie together hospitals and clinics. It would help schedule appointments for patients.

Bixlabs developed our backend and tied it with our frontend. We were developing the frontend and UX [user experience] portions as well as creating the graphic design. Two project managers and a total of four or five developers were assigned to our project over the span of a few months.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

We knew that we wanted to work with someone in a similar time zone, and South America is a more cost-effective development source. I'm personally from Eastern Europe, and I'm fine with using outsourced resources. We had previously used partners in Europe, but the issue was the time difference. We researched some options, and Bixlabs felt like they could be a good partner. We asked them about the work process and established good personal relationships with them.

How much have you invested with Bixlabs?

The cost of Bixlabs' work has been around $20,000, but we have an ongoing project so the cost will probably go up. We plan to keep developing the platform after its launch.

We started working with Bixlabs in August 2016. The project is set to complete next week. After the first phase, we will start additional ones in a few months. We plan to have a long-term relationship with Bixlabs, rather than a one-time engagement. We do have other projects in the works, for which we'll possibly also include Bixlabs.

We don't have any data because the product hasn't been launched yet, but, in terms of subjective feedback, the client is very happy with how everything looks and works. We were responsible for the design, but Bixlabs also contributed some frontend functionalities. Generally, everything in terms of development, communication, and timelines has been great.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

Bixlabs has performed well, considering our circumstances. We had a bit of an issue with scope creep on the client's side, but Bixlabs worked with us, making sure that we could still pull the project off. They're excellent all-around, from programming to project management.

We use Slack regularly for communication and use both Asana and JIRA for project management. Asana is mainly used for communicating with the client, while JIRA is intended for sprints and Agile development.

What did you find most impressive about Bixlabs?

Bixlabs' key strength is their personal approach and the fact that they also have a level of care for our project. Bixlabs is willing to go the extra mile in getting things done. They are flexible, responsible, and dedicated to the work. The resources from Bixlabs are all nice, easy to work with, personable, and friendly.

Are there any areas Bixlabs could improve?

It may sound strange, but I have no complaints or suggestions for improvement at this point, from Bixlabs' side. There are many factors to each project, but our curve-balls have been managed well by working as a team.

Bixlabs has met all deadlines. The team was willing to work on changes in the timeline.
    I'm happy with the service and results. Bixlabs' team is knowledgeable and delivers high-quality work.
    I have referred them.

Fullstack Website Development for Software Development Platform

"Their deliverables have always been on time, and they've always been high quality."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

Bixlabs was hired to do full-stack web development that included cascading style sheets, HTML, and JavaScript programming as well as development using AngularJS and Python.

Startup

Santa Fe, New Mexico
John McCawley
CEO, The Digital Garage

The client was very happy with the work that Bixlabs did, citing their exceptional project management and the overall high quality of the work they delivered.

The name of the company is The Digital Garage. We are a platform as a service company. We provide software engineers and software developers a virtual environment where they can build next generation applications. I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

Because we have such close ties with the software development community, and we're an online presence, we needed a top-notch software engineering and web development firm. I went to Bixlabs because we needed some support in terms of our web development and content development on the platform.

They're providing full-stack web development services for us. They're doing everything from the front-end development and design of the website in some of our web assets as they relate to our platform. That includes things like cascading style sheets, HTML, and JavaScript programming. As we start to move down the stack, they're doing more web application or application development in Angular JS primarily. In addition to that, there's some Python development that they're doing for us. They're also doing very specific work in Golang and the remaining APIs [application programming interfaces] around the platform more on the service side development. They're doing full-stack web development in a polyglot environment. There are many different languages and many different moving parts to the overall architecture.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

I found one or two of their consultants via Upwork. After I'd worked with them for a couple of months, I contacted Bixlabs directly because I needed more resources. I had a much higher level of trust after having worked with the individual consultants.

How much have you invested with Bixlabs?

The project cost was between $50,000 and $200,000.

It's ongoing. I've just moved some resources around where I wasn't pulling developers in different areas, and I've moved that development work to Bixlabs because I'm extremely happy with the work that I've been getting from them and the way they've been supporting me. The work will continue at least for the next year if not more. I have absolutely every intention of keeping Bixlabs on the project. We started in March 2016.

Because we're a small startup, I can tell you that the folks that we work with at Bixlabs work with just about every employee that I have. All of my employees are extremely satisfied with Bixlabs – to the extent that many of the suggestions that I received in terms of moving the work to Bixlabs exclusively came from other employees of the company. Everybody anecdotally is extremely happy with Bixlabs.

How did Bixlabs perform from a project management standpoint?

They did very well. We're a small team, and I'm primarily in charge of project management. We do manage a Kanban board and use user stories, but much of the communication around the project is very informal and very agile. While that has been challenging to Bixlabs, the guys have been able to fit into that very well. In places where we need rigor, they have added that rigor on their own. I've appreciated that considerably.

What did you find most impressive about Bixlabs?

Just working with them day in and day out they're extremely flexible and support the things that we need and want to do. It doesn't seem to upset them if we have to switch and handle something else that takes them off their primary task. They're extremely flexible in doing that for us. The other thing that I've appreciated – even though we have a very small team, and the team that we're utilizing there at Bixlabs is fairly small, the people that they brought to us are young, enthusiastic, and very skilled. We've had the ability to throw many different problems in a very complex space at them. Quite honestly, I haven't been able to see anything that they can't handle yet. Those things are very different from past experiences that I've had with other teams. That's one of the reasons I'm so happy with them.

Are there any areas Bixlabs could improve?

Quite honestly, I can't think of anything that I would have them improve on.

All the deliverables they've had have been on time, if not ahead, of schedule.
    I was originally concerned about their costs. They were a little high. In terms of the value for the money, I would say that was spot on.
    I've been extremely happy with their service. Their deliverables have always been on time, and they've always been high quality. I think many of their deliverables have been higher quality than I originally requested in most cases.
    We've already referred them to several affiliates, partners, and friends. I wouldn't hesitate to do so in the future.

App Development for Online Marketing Company

"Bixlabs  has great communication and technical skills."

Bixlabs provides app development services for an online marketing company’s end clients. Bixlabs has provided both iOS and Android development on approximately 10 projects.

Las Vegas, NV
Bjorn Wallman
Owner, Online Marketing Company

Bixlabs has been the only provider to produce work that satisfies the end clients. The team communicates well and has the technical ability to deliver. There was no constructive criticism to offer.

We do online marketing services, web development, and app development in Las Vegas.

I'm the owner.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

It's hard to find good app developers and, so far, Bixlabs has been great to work with.

They have provided both iOS and Android app development, but also design services and a little bit of web development as well. We have a team as well, but we don't do that much app development. We have them do it.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

We were trying out many different agencies, but none of them were cutting it. They were the first one that was able to do a good job.

It was $1,000 to $10,000 per project.

We've done maybe 10 projects with Bixlabs.

One of the apps that we worked on, it was a complete mess when Bixlabs took it over, and now it's actually functioning and our client is happy. That's a good one. It's called Bar HQ.

What distinguishes Bixlabs from other providers?

Bixlabs has great communication and technical skills.

Is there anything Bixlabs could have improved or done differently?

No – not on top of my head.

There were a couple of times that they could have been faster, but it was due to the nature of the project than anything. They took over a nightmare app that was put together very poorly, so it was just causing many issues for them to get it done. Hon
    Getting a 5 is hard, so I think 4 is a good score. The reason for that is that so far they’ve pretty much come through on everything, so there’s no reason for them not to get a high rank.
    I would refer them all day long.

Web and iOS App Development for Business Services Company

"You ask them to do something, and Bixlabs gets it done."

Bixlabs came on board to offer web and iOS development when a previous service provider flunked the job. Much of their work was fixing the previous team’s mistakes.

Executive Director, Business Services Company

Bixlabs met all expectations for timeliness, quality of deliverables, and customer service. Their defining characteristic, though, was their ability to listen and provide what is needed, rather than what they think is needed. Their rigorous communication helped them deliver the right solution.

We manufacture a spray-on waterproofing system that's used on bridges and tunnels. We work primarily in North America – the United States and Canada.

I am the executive director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Bixlabs?

The biggest challenge that we had before Bix was just an overall bad development team. It was a very bad experience with our previous developer. We didn't get what we wanted, and it cost way too much. We brought Bixlabs in to fix what our previous developers left us with and they really helped us out.

Bixlabs provided web development and some iOS development.

How did you come to work with Bixlabs?

I knew Bixlabs's current project manager, Elisa Amarelle, from a prior engagement. I really enjoyed working with her so when it was time to find a new development team, I started with finding her. I didn't really know much about BIX Labs, but Elisa was how we found them.

What we've done so far would be probably in the $50,000 to $200,000 range.

Bixlabs definitely met my expectations. My expectations were that the work would be done in a timely manner, that we wouldn't have bugs when we were done, and if we did have bugs, they would be resolved quickly. All of that was met. It's pretty basic. You ask them to do something, and Bixlabs gets it done.

What distinguishes Bixlabs from other providers?

For me, after having an experience with a bad development partner, the most unique thing is that Bixlabs delivers on expectations. From my experience, it started to seem like in the outsourcing development industry, getting what you want is actually difficult. What makes BIX special is that they actually listen to the client's needs and work to provide that. They'll take a lot of time to listen, to try to understand. There's a lot of communication back and forth before anything really gets built, so I like that. That's what makes them special.

Is there anything Bixlabs could have improved or done differently?

No. Not really.

They're not perfect but, overall, I'm really pleased with their work, and there's always an explanation and communication about delays.
    Definitely.
    Definitely. I'd recommend them for sure.