The Stewards of Possible

Big Kitty Labs is the steward of possible.

With roots in software development, our team of innovation enthusiasts, software developers, designers, and strategists are experienced partners to the startup and investment communities. Experts in ideation, innovation, product definition, rapid prototyping, and investor communications, Big Kitty Labs has been a part of the origin story for nearly 100 products and proud to be a part of those creation and evolutionary journeys. We work shoulder-to-shoulder with our clients to breathe life into ideas that can be shared, tested, revised, evolved and launched.

We work with first-time entrepreneurs who have exciting new and unique ideas; with established companies that are looking for new solutions and that seek the perspective of an outside partner to help evolve and grow the business; and, finally, we work with enterprise brands, both for- and not-for-profit, looking to embrace what’s next with the nimbleness required by a world that is transforming at an alarming pace.

2008

Lextant

PopCom

Gift Pocket

Mobile & Desktop Dev for Employment Resource App

"They’ve delivered the product I envisioned."

Jul. 2017 - Apr. 2018

Big Kitty Labs developed an Android, iOS, and desktop application and are now handling the maintenance and updates to the app. They worked off some basic documents to build out the idea.

Cleveland, Ohio
CEO, Peerro

The completed application has been launched and is working well, with regular improvements updating its functionality. The team managed the project smoothly and generally communicated well, while developing effective products that meet the required need.

I'm the founder and CEO of Anexis, which developed a platform called Peerro. it provides entry-level employment to young adults aged 14–24. They can schedule interviews directly through the platform and receive guidance toward securing liveable-wage positions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Big Kitty Labs?

I was the sole member of the startup and I didn’t have domain knowledge in the technology space. This made it difficult to identify a developer that could produce what I was trying to do and bring my vision to fruition.

They developed my app for iOS, Android, and desktop. I provided some requirement documentation, trying to offer as much direction as I could. We collaborated on those, breaking down what the requirements would look like. They’re now handling app maintenance and we have a new set of requirements to add.

They’ve helped me on the marketing side as well, in the sense of connecting me with people. They spoke highly of me and the company, which opened up a lot of doors, including to funding.

Dan (CEO, Big Kitty Labs) acted as project manager, but the major points of contact have been Tushar (Co-Founder and COO, Big Kitty Labs) and another member. They handled the development work as well as the project management.

How did you come to work with Big Kitty Labs?

Once I found them, they gave me a level of confidence in the fact that the product would actually do what we expected it to do and that the development would be high quality.

I started working with them in July or August 2017 and we have an ongoing relationship. We launched the initial iOS, Android, and desktop versions in April 2018.

The aggregation works quite well. Issues will always arise, but they're on top of them. It’s unrealistic to expect everything to work smoothly, especially when building out new platforms; the bigger value is being able to work with individuals who are responsive and willing to improve the product as much as us, and who are as invested in it as we are.

How did Big Kitty Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

They use Asana as a project management system and they’re on top of it in terms of managing time and being responsive. This is an area I haven’t had issues with.

We communicate through email, phone, and Excel spreadsheets, and we’ve also met each other quite often.

They build technology and they do it well, but they also do a good job of making the client feel comfortable in an unfamiliar space. Being able to send someone an email and to see a response within an hour means a lot to me. I’m able to communicate it when something isn’t working and they get back to me within 12 hours. Their biggest strength is their ability to communicate with the customer and put their mind at ease. They’ve delivered the product I envisioned and they’re working for me.

There's some room for growth in terms of communicating better. I’ve given the requirements to my contact during calls and he translated those to the rest of the development team. Sometimes, things get lost in translation, and it becomes worse when there’s a language barrier.

I recommend them to clients who want to receive functional products; they’re an honest and upfront group. The product will be as good as the client is engaged, so they shouldn’t expect the development team to read their minds. Constantly communicate what it is they’re trying to build out, because it’s their creation, and the partner is just molding it.

Web Development for Midwestern Power Wash Service

“Big Kitty Labs has their finger on the pulse of modern technology.”

Apr. 2017 - 2018

Big Kitty Labs developed web software that optimizes internal processes. The system collects data via an API that’s integrated with QuickBooks. Other features include a user portal and task automation.

Groveport, Ohio
Terri Moore
COO, TNT Services

Big Kitty Labs created an innovative software system that automates previously manual processes. The system significantly increases daily efficiency and continually generates tangible success. Executive-level engagement yields proactive communication and creative brainstorming.

I’m the COO of TNT Services. We’re commercial appearance specialists that primarily provide fleet washing services. However, we’re currently expanding our business into adjacent industries.

What challenge were you trying to address with Big Kitty Labs?

Most of our internal processes were done manually on paper. Since our service jobs take place remotely, communicating and processing frequently changing data was an arduous responsibility. We wanted to go paperless by utilizing a data collection API that expedites our processing tasks.

We started with the idea that all we needed was an efficient way to get data from the field and generate invoices. Specifically, we wanted a mobile software that enabled our technicians to collect data at job sites. Then, they’d integrate that information through an API that’s connected to our QuickBooks system. Ankit (CTO, Big Kitty Labs) came to our office and scoped out the work.

By virtue of scope creep, the project morphed into a lot more than what we initially expected. Big Kitty Labs were instrumental in getting us to think long-term by having them built out an infrastructure that’s now an asset to our business. They challenged us to develop a future-proof vision instead of just asking for software that’d be outdated in two years. As a result, they developed a system with a customer portal that notifies people when we arrive on a job site. There’s also subsequent notifications that detail when we left a location and what services we performed while there. There are similar notifications that help organize our internal scheduling. They even built in a function that helps us maintenance fleet vehicles.

In addition to Ankit, we mostly worked with one of their co-founders and a single developer, Andrey. Another developer currently maintains the software on a daily basis.

How did you come to work with Big Kitty Labs?

Before I came to TNT Services, I’d regularly attend WakeUp StartUp meetings. I met one of the gentlemen who runs that program and he recommend three software development firms. Once TNT Services needed me to lead this project, I interviewed those three firms and decided to hire Big Kitty Labs.

We hired them in April 2017. They completed the central part of the development work in April 2018. They provide maintenance and support at this time.

The new software increased our internal processing efficiency better than we could’ve hoped. We experienced a reduction in workforce by 25% through attrition and were able to keep production up without bringing in replacements. Furthermore, we’d originally planned to expand into a new location in 2019. However, with the new system in place, we’re able to open our fourth location as early as Q4 2018. Big Kitty Labs helped accelerate our growth in a tangible way.

How did Big Kitty Labs perform from a project management standpoint?

I have nothing but excellent things to say about them in this area. Our contacts have come to our offices in-person, but we usually communicate with them via email. They’re responsive and forthcoming with information. The transitioning process from development to maintenance was seamless.

They help clients think about the future and try to innovate wherever possible. I’m an extremely practical person, so I’m consistently impressed by their creative solutions to even mundane problems. For example, their looking into utilizing virtual reality tools to train our onboarding employees. This is a great idea because it means we can teach employees in a safe environment with all the resources required. Before they pitched that idea, I just accepted that in-field training was a necessary evil of our business. Big Kitty Labs has their finger on the pulse of modern technology.

We expected the project to take four months to complete, but it obviously took a lot longer than that. However, the project scope evolved into a massive undertaking, so we understand the delay.

As I mentioned, Ankit designed out the project’s concept and another developer built it. This created some disconnects that could’ve been prevented had the developer been present during the initial consultation.