Where Ideas Become Usable Products

BetaBulls Inc. is a leading information technology, consulting and outsourcing services provider. BetaBulls is seen as a reliable partner by small and mid-sized businesses, helping them with innovative technology solutions to disrupt existing businesses and creating new opportunities.

BetaBulls Startup Division partners with entrepreneurs to help build and grow their startups. While It make all kinds of web and mobile applications, this division specializes in getting Minimum Viable Product (MVP) online for feedback and initial sales. We take the idea, no matter how grandiose or petite and chisel it into an ideal MVP and release to the world quickly.

BetaBulls industry experience spans manufacturing, hospitality, health care, government, media, ISVs and financial services. With presence in the US and India, the company delivers comprehensive services for mission critical operational systems, search and recommendation systems, business intelligence and analytics, cloud enablement and mobile enablement.

North Brunswick, NJ
  • 2 King Arthur Court, Lakeside West
    North Brunswick, NJ 08902
  • 201 West Travelers Trail, Suite 25
    Minneapolis, MN 55337
  • Hyderabad 500003

• A multinational beverage corporation and manufacturer, retailer • A tax credit recovery credit processing firm • A I-9 the employment verification process software firm • An Applicant tracking system provider • An innovative sales and marketing referral app • A Marketing cloud provider for franchisees • A technology service provider focused on Apple products • A financial services firm in the health savings account (HSA) industry. A Full Suite Health Care services provider.

Application Development for Consulting Company

"The level of detail they've gone into in trying to understand our problem ... has made them stand out."

BetaBulls was responsible for building an application for the web and mobile platforms. The application enables recruiters to identify top-rated candidates quickly and easily.

Vice President, Consulting Company

BetaBulls delivered the code in excellent quality, and the applications are currently in a feedback process. The team meticulously identified and provided the best solution to the issues.

We are a consulting company.

I am a vice president in the company, specifically responsible for IT matters.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BetaBulls?

We've worked on a product that was a publishing collaboration system. As a consulting company, we aim to connect to the right candidates for the requirements received from our clients. It's always been a challenge finding the right talent for expertise such as Java programming. We work with multiple recruiters and don't want go through hundreds of resumes for each project. Some of them will know our requirements, but we want a database which can be used concurrently across all of them. Also, each client has a different terminology and method for putting a requirement out. We want to be able to do keyword searches within requirements.

BetaBulls built an application that allows us to feed requirements for candidates. It enables us to see the highest rated people and call them directly, without wasting time. All of our recruiters get the same information from us very fast.

It's both a web and mobile application, but our focus was on the mobile aspects.

It's been an expensive affair. The development cost so far has been between $300,000-500,000. We plan to reap the benefits of the application in the long term.

We've been working with BetaBulls for a little over a year, including the initial planning stage and a break we took with the development. We're still doing modifications to the work, but the platform itself is complete.

Quality-wise, the code was excellent. We're still giving BetaBulls feedback on the features they've built for us, as we use them. Overall, it's been a great experience.

What distinguishes BetaBulls from other providers?

The level of detail they've gone into in trying to understand our problem and give us the best available solution on the market has made them stand out. BetaBulls has been on top of things.

Is there anything BetaBulls could have improved or done differently?

In practicality, we've had to use the product in order to get an idea of it. As a company, we need some time to see if everything built by BetaBulls makes complete sense.

Overall Score It's been my best development experience so far.
    They've actually pushed us.
    They've been good in terms of initial estimates. Anyone would say that costs can always be less, but BetaBulls has stuck to their budget.

Online Investment Calculator for Health Savings Advisors

"BetaBulls did a good job focusing on delivery of the solution and working within our budget."

May 2015 - Nov. 2015

BetaBulls developed an online investment calculation system with data reporting and account management functionalities. It can be delivered as a white label solution in compliance with the industry regulations.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Online Operations Developer, Health Savings Advisor Company

The product received positive feedback and successfully delivered within the specified timeframe and budget. BetaBulls did a good job of staying focused on the project and exhibited great attitude and energy.

The company is a pioneering investment advisor and solutions provider for the health savings account industry, focusing on expert research, tools, education and services since 2004. We are based in Minneapolis, Minnesota - one of the international nerve centers for health care, insurance, medical and biomedical business. We understand the unique needs and plan design for health savings investment accounts and are the national leader in powering investment solutions for healthcare accounts.

In my role with the company I help explore opportunities for new online technologies and products, research and develop solution architecture, make decisions about the technology stack and service provisioning, lead IT development and the development environments, and coordinate product launching with highly capable executive, sales and marketing teams.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BetaBulls?

There are at least a few major challenges to delivering online solutions in this industry: First, the concepts can be new or complicated for many users; second, the data and business services tend to involve marketing and business integration among multiple entities; and third, the regulatory and compliance regime is strict.

In our case, there was a basic portal in place for our account holders to manage their investment account. However, we aim to provide a leading-edge user experience and value by offering additional reporting, intelligence and automated account management tools through customized application program interfaces [APIs]. In addition, we need to provide a product that can be delivered as a white label solution for our partners, all the while maintaining compliance with privacy, security, and industry regulations.

In this beneficial but sometimes complicated sector of the health care and banking industries, millions of people find themselves needing to understand new kinds of information and manage money as smartly as possible. Rather than let users simply create accounts in our systems and then forget about them, we want to provide valuable tools that help maximize their returns on investment. Achieving this helps our company maintain its leading position while also breaking new ground.

The primary roles that BetaBulls have played relate to the build-out of the solution. We established the development environment and provided key business and solution concepts and design artifacts. BetaBulls interpreted all of our communications into a rapid development model with frequent check-ins, approvals, modifications, and agile progress. We intend to manage and operate the solutions with BetaBulls involvement in iterative solution improvements which includes new requirements, programming, testing, and implementation.

How did you come to work with BetaBulls?

When we wanted to implement the solution, we investigated some known options and requested referrals from our network. BetaBulls was one of the candidates. We evaluated multiple product development approaches, based on variety of factors including consulting skills, domain knowledge, technology expertise, delivery process and cost.

We chose to work with BetaBulls for their exceptional understanding and track record with understanding specific business goals and launching targeted online products based on new concepts. BetaBulls also demonstrated expertise with solution proposals, financial services and recommendation systems. We felt comfortable with the possibility of selecting one vendor for the critical prototyping and minimum viable product [MVP] stages of designing our new solutions and products, as well as for ongoing maintenance and build out of the solutions according to our roadmap. At this time, our engagement on this project has lasted about one year.

The cost of this project was in the $10,000 to $50,000 range.

We started working with them in May 2015. The work is ongoing. It will conclude by the end of November 2015.

Since this is a new product initiative, we are taking it to market and have seen great feedback. We expect a successful launch and progressive growth.

BetaBulls did a good job focusing on delivery of the solution and working within our budget and the inevitable scope creep that occurs when hands-on experience with new things leads to new, great ideas!

What distinguishes BetaBulls from other providers?

One thing I appreciate about BetaBulls in particular is a laser focus on value and the MVP concept, which really means working in iterations that start with a simple but successful landing spot and building from there. Most importantly, agile development often means being at stages where things are not yet working perfectly; BetaBulls had a great attitude and energy and never stopped working for the end goal. Iin our industry, solutions must look high-end, and that's what we got.

Is there anything BetaBulls could have improved or done differently?

In hindsight, we could have done more on our side to refine certain User Interface concepts, but we avoided that potentially huge (and possibly off target) pre-project expense by adapting a more design-on-the-fly and agile approach. Our selected technology stack made it pretty easy to do ongoing changes and updates. So, ultimately, we performed not just the technical but also some creative development details in agile fashion. On a weekly basis we were able to see and play with the solution iterations, and then make creative decisions as we understood the user experience more and more. It has been a true MVP experience that is turning into a bonafide solution.

Web Development for Startup Social Media

"Their timeliness and their communication style are huge pluses."

April 2015 - Ongoing

BetaBulls was responsible for the development, testing, hosting, and ongoing support for the website. The team was rehired to work on few additional websites after the work on the initial website was completed.

Startup

Cincinnati, Ohio
Kim Ciraulo
Founder, Startup Social Media

Although the sites are not live yet, there is extreme satisfaction with BetaBulls' development work from the client and some friends. Their timeliness and their good communication practices are key strengths of the team.

I came up with an idea of connecting couples to one another for the purposes of double dating. There are many online sites for men to meet women and vice versa, but there's nothing centered on couples double dating. That was the initial plan, and I've expanded it as I've been working with them.

I'm the founder.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BetaBulls?

The challenge, quite simply, was to build my website. I approached BetaBulls to develop my website.

I have no experience developing websites at all. I told them what my idea was and that I needed a website, and they became responsible for development and support. I would tell them what I wanted to accomplish in terms of the look and feel of the site, and they mapped out the estimates from a timing standpoint as well as from a cost standpoint. They did the development, testing and hosting. I've continued to go back to them with some additional business ideas, and they've expanded it for me.

How did you come to work with BetaBulls?

I was looking at other companies. I did a lot of research. I liked the look of their site. I had several conversations with the two main contacts there and just evaluated the timeliness of their feedback and the cost. I just liked the sound of how they were mapping out the plan for me in terms of development.

The total cost of working with BetaBulls was between $10,000 and $50,000.

We started in April 2015. I had one idea and, as they worked to complete that site, I added additional sites. Not only is it the double dating site, but I've added a site for girlfriends – women meeting women to have new friends to hang with. There's also a site for men to meet men for the same purposes – golfing, going out for a drink, and so on. They've met each of their timeline dates, but I continue to add things in. The work is still ongoing.

I don't have any users because the sites aren't live yet. I have asked some friends to go on the site just to check the ease of getting around and everyone's been very impressed. I'm extremely impressed. I had started my own process where you can create your own website, and it's light years behind what they were able to develop. I've been very happy with BetaBulls.

What distinguishes BetaBulls from other providers?

Every time I have a question or I want to make a change, I'll send them an email with my thoughts and questions, and they'll schedule a time to talk through things. If it's something that's clear in my email, they'll make those changes and let me know when the site is updated, and I can go on and look. It's all been extremely timely – sometimes even faster than I'm ready for. There are steps I have to take behind the scenes to be ready to launch. Their timeliness and their communication style are huge pluses.

Is there anything BetaBulls could have improved or done differently?

This is my first time ever doing anything like this. I don't know if there's anything that would have made sense to do differently. Like I said, the things I enjoy the most are their timeliness and thoroughness. I can't think of anything for them to improve on.

There have been a couple of times where the budget went over, but it's because of what I've been adding.
    I really enjoyed working with them and continuing to work with them. They've been great.

Software Development for Onboarding System Startup

"We give them deadlines to complete projects, and they come in on time."

n/a

Aug. 2014 - Ongoing

BetaBulls handled the troubleshooting on the software issues and enhancement consultations for the website. They also managed the help desk items and catered the needs of the company’s growing clientele.

Integration Director, Onboarding System Startup

The software development and enhancements were successfully delivered in excellent quality and within specified timeframe. There was a need to improve on communication due to the language barrier, but overall, BetaBulls was responsive to the raised issues and provided appropriate professional consultation.

We are an onboarding system that is doing e-verify, and we are dealing with small to large clients who are in need of an onboarding system. We've got several partners who are in the ATS [applicant tracking system] field where we've integrated, and we are obtaining information through their ATS into the onboarding system. Everything flows on to onboarding.

New hires complete their paperwork either out of the office or in the office, so we can send an email notification to them to complete their paperwork prior to day one. It's customizable, where the clients can go into the system and make changes to policies and positions, and locations, and pretty much self-manage once they're set up and trained.

I am the integration director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BetaBulls?

We had some software issues that needed fixing and other enhancements. We also needed someone to manage our help desk items that were coming in. As we started to grow and get more clients, we started getting a lot more help desk requests. We wanted to make sure that our clients were being serviced within 24 hours with a response regarding their help desk items that were coming in.

BetaBulls has been helping us with our development and enhancements. They've also been taking care of any problems that we have with the actual software as well as taking care of our help desk tickets. They've also provided analysis with regard to enhancements that are needed with the site. They mainly give consultative advice on what we should do to improve the site and make it work better.

How did you come to work with BetaBulls?

Our CEO had vetted several developers during the course of about two or three months. He had met them at a show and vetted their team out, and ultimately he decided to go with them.

I'd prefer not to disclose that kind of information at this time.

We started working with them in August 2014, and the work is ongoing.

I think the quality of the BetaBulls's work is very good. They're very responsive. We give them deadlines to complete projects, and they come in on time. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, they are on time with everything that we've requested of them.

Is there anything BetaBulls could have improved or done differently?

I think one potential area for improvement is their communication. Some of their developers don't speak English very well, and they're kind of hard to understand. They do generally have someone on the call who can translate what's being said for the rest of the team. But, some of them have very heavy accents, and they're difficult to understand.

• N/A Cost
    I'd prefer not to give a rating for cost.
    I'd be willing to refer them.

Web Development for Medical Practice Management Company

"BetaBulls was very flexible in terms of absorbing the requirements on the fly ... They were very patient with us."

July 2014 - Ongoing

BetaBulls was responsible for the end-to-end development of two web applications for the clinical reports, and a business portal.
These apps can be opened on any mobile devices and even on iPads.

Software Development Manager, Medical Practice Management Company

The business portal received positive feedback from sales managers and representatives for being user-friendly. BetaBulls has excellent project management, which speaks of their flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing requirements. Their availability is also one of the team's strengths.

My company provides services to enhance medical business operations. We also build integrated clinical networks for collaborative care and we develop health care industry software applications for comprehensive business management.

I am the software development manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with BetaBulls?

We have two products, one for clinical reports and another that is a business portal. The clinical reports product is where providers login to see their reports, and they are able to fill in prescriptions. Also, other administrative users are able to login and see what studies have been published.

We also have a business portal, which was developed by BetaBulls, where sales representatives are able to login and view their sales activity, what commissions they have, what reimbursements, how much insurance is paid, patient name, and a few other details. On our privilege page, sales reps are able to see only their sales activity, sales managers are able to see activity of their reps, along with the rest of the data that they report to them, and the admin is able to see everything. It's all privilege based. They can post marketing materials and open accounts.

That is what the business portal is, and that is what BetaBulls helped us develop. There is no mobile version, but the screens are responsive. They can be opened on any of the mobile devices and even on iPads. We do not have a mobile app for this application yet.

BetaBulls was responsible for end-to-end development for both of our web applications.

How did you come to work with BetaBulls?

I cannot answer that, because by the time I came on board BetaBulls was already working with Emgenex. I do not know how the relationship started.

The size of this project is between $10,000 and $50,000.

The collaboration had started three months before I came in, so it was in July 2014. We're still working with them. We did it in phases. January was our first release date, we wrapped up phase one completely about a month ago, and we are in the process of gathering requirements for phase two.

I was happy with their work. We gave them clear business requirements. They were on time with everything. In phase two, we are right on schedule.

The sales reps are really loving the business portal. In fact, yesterday we were in a meeting and one of the sales managers was mentioning that it was a very friendly app, and they were very happy with what it has to offer. They gave us feedback on phase two requirements because I told them that we're entering the design phase. They were very content with phase 1 and are looking forward to phase two.

How did BetaBulls perform from a project management standpoint?

Initially they were changing resources very often, because of the changing requirements on our end. The way we were changing the requirements was based on the look and feel, and we said we wanted this other design versus the current design, so the level of expertise on BetaBulls had to be changed because for a certain framework they had certain resources and when we changed the design, they had to change that. But that was resolved in the first month and, after that, things were very smooth. I'm very happy with their project management.

What distinguishes BetaBulls from other providers?

We had a lot of issues with business requirements because our operations didn't have a solid idea of what they wanted. Requirements were a challenge for us, but BetaBulls was very flexible in terms of absorbing the requirements on the fly and changing things that they had already done at no additional cost. They believe in building relationships – that's the feeling I got. I was a little worried and, at certain times, embarrassed to give them requirements for things that they had already implemented, but they were flexible. In that sense, they believe in building relationships.

They were very patient with us and there was not one time where I saw frustration on their side, even though we changed a lot of requirements on them. I never had to spend any late nights with them. They would come in early, and I had resources that worked my hours. I always had one resource working my time. They were also available during the night, if I ever had any questions.

Is there anything BetaBulls could have improved or done differently?

No, I was overall very happy with their work and continue to be happy with the work that is going on with phase two. We are planning on releasing phase two in January, and so far things are going according to plan.