Be Found Online is a Chicago-based digital marketing agency. Founded in 2009 as a search agency, we’ve since grown tremendously and we now offer a full suite of digital marketing solutions including organic media, paid media, local search, and digital analytics.

Our team lives at the intersection of art and science, staying ahead of trends and going beyond any routine approach. Inspired by creativity and analysis, we work to pioneer the digital marketing landscape to drive continuing evolution and deliver exceptional service for our clients.

We strive to build a culture of passionate, fun people who cultivate enduring client relationships based on accountability. We’re extremely proud of our talented staff and our clients.

Be Found Online has been named by Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest growing companies in the United States every year since 2012.

Founded:
 Employees:
 Avg. hourly rate:
$150 - $199
Be Found Online
3304 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60657
877.553.6863

We work with a variety of client types & pride ourselves on our ability to quickly learn the ins and outs of our clients' bottom lines. With that customized approach, however, we also have a wealth of industry expertise based on years of working across multiple clients in these industries: Automotive, B2B, Ecommerce, Education, Financial Services, Healthcare & Pharmaceutical, International, Non-Profit, Patient Recruitment, Retail, Restaurants, Travel Resorts & Hospitality

Certifications:

Google Partner, Bing Partner, Yext Partner, Aquisio Fundamentals Certified, Marin Search Certified Agency, Marin Facebook Certified Agency

Accolades:

Inc. 5000 Fastest Growing Companies 3 Years Running, Brill Street's Top Gen Y Employers

Detailed description:

Be Found Online provides digital performance marketing solutions to create value and new sources of revenue for mid-size and enterprise clients. We’re at our best when we work with clients that are ready to test, innovate, and employ digital marketing to deliver measurable online and offline sales. We’re here to help execute (and sometimes help define) against performance measures. We take an agile approach to strategy and execution to enable our clients to move with (and ahead) of the shifts in the digital marketplace. Give us a call today to discuss which opportunities are right for you.

Industry focus

Client focus

Reviews of Be Found Online

SEO for Graduate School Nonprofit

Search engine optimization (SEO)

Be Found Online works with the non-profit client to grow important keywords with the goal of enrolling more graduate students and spreading the client's message.

Be Found Online is praised for moving the needle for organic SEO [search engine optimization] rankings and transferring deep industry knowledge to the client's team. Be Found Online is recommended for their effective strategies.

"Be Found Online did phenomenal work regarding SEO. I have a level of confidence in the underlying build quality of our website, which wasn't present before working with Be Found Online."

Digital Marketing Manager, Non-profit

Chicago Metro Area

Average: 5 (1 vote)

We are a non-profit independent graduate school offering primarily business degrees. We have master's courses in business administration and science, and also have a corporate development arm, training people on both soft and hard skill sets like business acumen and leadership development. We work with different audiences and echelons within companies. I am the digital marketing manager of the company, in charge of digital properties, particularly our website, making sure that leads are coming in and funnels are being met. I also help with internal database administration.

What challenge were you trying to address with Be Found Online?

We needed help maintaining and establishing a good SEO health. When I first started working here, this area was unwanted, and not being applied to our digital properties. The benefits of it were also not well-established or known within the company.

Be Found Online helped develop a healthy SEO for our digital properties. We did work with them on search engine marketing pieces as well, but this wasn't our main focus. We also used Be Found Online for offline SEO, mainly blog writing. Our social media is either done in-house, or through another organization.

How did you come to work with Be Found Online?

We were unhappy with our current digital organization. One of our VPs had worked with Be Found Online's owner and introduced us to the company.

How much have you invested with Be Found Online?

The cost of Be Found Online's services has been between $25,000 and $50,000 per year, depending on our scope.

We started working with Be Found Online at the beginning of 2014, with both SEO and SEM [search engine marketing]. Our work was ended for the moment, 2 months ago.

Be Found Online did phenomenal work regarding SEO. I have a level of confidence in the underlying build quality of our website, which wasn't present before working with Be Found Online. They've given me many of the skills required to move forward myself, instead of simply coming in, doing the work, and keeping us in the dark. Be Found Online allowed me to pick up the gauntlet and run, which was very important and made me feel that their company was legit, not trying to make us dependent on their services. Be Found Online's team took their work to heart.

I don't have any specific metrics off the top of my head but, regarding qualitative data, we've increased the size of our website two-fold during our time of working with Be Found Online. Even today, when I run 504-compliance reviews, there is very little that doesn't come through as A+. This was a testament to how meticulous Be Found Online was on the backend. We consistently rank high for certain terms in a very crowded MBA market.

What did you find most impressive about Be Found Online?

Other than the fact that Be Found Online is incredibly meticulous and patient at the same time, which is a unique combination, I appreciated the fact that they were always willing to take a call and answer any questions. I was able to IM or email my account manager, and receive a response within minutes or later on during the day. Their SEO team seems to be in touch with other aspects of Be Found Online so, whenever we needed to get a hold of someone in the analytics or SEM sides, we could.

Are there any areas Be Found Online could improve?

I don't have anything at this point. Be Found Online should continue their great customer service, and be authors of what they're doing.

Do you have any recommendations for others considering working with Be Found Online?

I advise any clients to go ahead and test Be Found Online, and not afraid to ask tough questions. They will pass. Some agencies have a tendency of talking over clients' heads, and discouraging them from asking questions, but not Be Found Online. They repeated information as many times as was needed for us to understand it.

QUALITY: 5
COST: 5
Be Found Online was fair and open.
SCHEDULING: 5
No one will ever have a perfect rating when meeting deadlines on a technology project. Things break down, which is a part of business.
They are great.

SEO Engagement for Major Technology Company

Search engine optimization (SEO)

Be Found Online was hired to manage a major website for a Fortune 500 technology company to increase organic traffic and qualified corporate account leads.

The vendor was commended for its amazing ability to keep up with SEO [search engine optimization] trends and changes with Google while providing strong client service.

"The results speak for themselves. Our total traffic for all regions increased by 33% month over month with the help of BFO. We've gone up by 44% on a yearly basis, according to our June 2016 data."

Digital Manager at Major Technology Company

10,001+ employees

Chicago Metro Area

Average: 5 (1 vote)

I work for one of the largest global Smartphone providers. We have a presence in almost every country in the world. I work out of the Chicago area office.

I am the Integrated Marketing Manager of the company. My main role is generating demand for products and solutions on several commercial markets, including education and utilities. I am also responsible for managing relationships with our search agency.

What challenge were you trying to address with Be Found Online?

We wanted to improve our organic search rankings over all the priority pages that we focus on. This involved cleaning up certain pages and improving organic results overall.

Be Found Online has mostly worked on SEO for our site, providing recommendations and identifying keywords and what the highest-value pages on our site are. Be Found Online is also involved in analytics projects, but I'm not a part of those teams. They also help us with new product launches and page reorganizations.

How did you come to work with Be Found Online?

I was not part of the selection process. I think that we had an existing relationship with Be Found Online.

How much have you invested with Be Found Online?

The pricing is confidential and to be completely honest, I wouldn’t know that information. I only handle the project management aspect, not pricing.

We have been working with Be Found Online since June 2015, for our current engagement. We have an ongoing relationship with Be Found Online.

We have experienced a technical issue with a module of the website. Be Found Online did a great job in fixing it and giving us recommendations on how to bounce back from the issue, from a traffic point-of-view.

How did Be Found Online perform from a project management standpoint?

Be Found Online is a great work partner. They are very knowledgeable in their area. One of the main reasons for hiring an agency was to gain access to expertise which we didn't have internally. Be Found Online provided great feedback and they were very open in going back and forth with us when there was a mismatch with brand guidelines.

What did you find most impressive about Be Found Online?

A big perk has been that Be Found Online is located in Chicago, so we've been able to meet face-to-face without having to travel great distances. Be Found Online is very responsive, they're experts in their space and I've received a lot of education from them in terms of web trends. We've had a number of smaller side-projects for which Be Found Online provided assistance. Be Found Online's team members have great personalities. They're down-to-earth and it's been great working with them.

Are there any areas Be Found Online could improve?

No. I've had headaches working with other agencies, but Be Found Online has been great.

They are fantastic!
QUALITY: 5
COST: 5
I can't comment on this because I'm not in charge of the budget. I think we are pleased, but the relationship has lasted a long time.
I have referred BFO.

SEO and PPC Management for Firemon

Search engine optimization (SEO)

The client is an internet security firm, focused on producing software to protect companies' networks. The client was looking to improve their "findability", and contracted with Be Found Online to provide SEO, and PPC management services. The client currently spends approximately $10,000 a month with Be Found Online and the relationship has been ongoing since February 2014.

The client is extremely satisfied with the work delivered by Be Found Online. The client has seen the number of leads generated by the company's website jump over 230% since first contracting with BFO. The client has seen a good balance of traffic coming in from both organic and paid search platforms that he attributes BFO's work. The clients has found BFO  to be extremely trustworthy, and enjoys interacting with their team. The client's only suggestion for improvement would be to have BFO implement (via development services) some of the SEO recommendations they make. Overall, however, the client is extremely satisfied with Be Found Online and highly recommends them to others as well.

"When we first started with Be Found Online, we were receiving right around sixty leads, or what we call “free evaluation requests” every month. Last month was the second time in three months that we’ve hit over two hundred."

Webmaster, Network Security Firm

Kansas City, KS

Average: 4.5 (1 vote)

Average: 5 (1 vote)

We provide network security software that allows companies to protect their infrastructure.

What is your position and responsibilities?

I’m in the marketing department, and act as webmaster for the company. I’m in charge of how the website performs internally, as well as how it’s marketed and how it does in terms of bringing in new business.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Be Found Online?

We were having traffic issues, and were struggling to show up in search results. We wanted to completely overhaul our approach to search engine marketing.

They’ve helped us with SEO, managing the pay per click campaigns and the paid media for Google AdWords, Bing, and LinkedIn. They also manage our Google analytics account, to make sure all of our reporting is as accurate and detailed as possible.

How did you come to work with Be Found Online?

We got started with Be Found Online before I was here. I was brought on to help utilize that outsourced resource. So although I don’t know the selection process, I can tell you that I haven’t had any reason to switch since I’ve been here.

We are spending an average of $10,000 a month with Be Found Online.

The company started working with them in February 2014, and the relationship is ongoing.

What have been the results of this engagement?

From a performance perspective, it’s been good to see that we are steadily increasing the number of visitors we see to the website each and every month. Inquiries and leads have also increased every month since our work with Be Found Online began. When we first started with them, we were receiving right around 60 leads, or what we call “free evaluation requests”, which is our top goal. We always had a goal of getting to 200 a month, and last month was the second time in three months that we’ve hit over 200. That’s more than triple what we had before we started with Be Found Online. That’s the main metric we grade them on, and they’ve been doing a great job delivering more and more traffic each and every month.

I’m also thankful for Be Found Online because their work allows me to focus on new projects and build-outs, as far as the website goes, which have been requested internally. I don’t have to worry about our SEO at all. My guess is if we wanted to bring in all their work internally, we’d have to hire an additional three or even four more employees.

How did Be Found Online perform from a project management standpoint?

In essence I am the project manager, and I think that has been crucial to our success. You don’t want to just throw a project over to an outsourcing company, and hope it gets done well. To to ensure you get the best results, there are a lot of circumstances where you need to coach a search marketing company on your business to make sure they know exactly how to position you online.

What distinguishes Be Found Online from other providers?

Two words come to mind: professionalism and integrity. They always do what they say they're going to do, and if they need something from me, they’ll stay on me until I get it to them. A lot of other companies would say, ‘If you don’t get me this, it won’t get done,’ and then they don’t really follow up with you to make sure you stay on it. Be Found Online is really great to work with. They’re incredibly kind, laid back people who happen to be search geniuses.

Is there anything Be Found Online could have improved or done differently?

The only thing that would make my life easier would be when it comes to SEO recommendations if they could not only make the recommendations but also make them happen, as in actually getting their hands dirty in the code and doing the updates are done. Taking on some of the development requests and such would be ideal, and the only thing I could recommend for them.

QUALITY: 4.5

Arizona Tile Company Digital Marketing

Digital marketing

The client is Arizona Tile, a leading distributor of stone and tile to commercial and residential customers across the Southwest. The client was interested in increasing online sales and approached Be Found Online to assist them with implementing a large pay-per-click program. The relationship has been ongoing for close to seven years.

The client is very satisfied with the services provided by Be Found Online. Working off the success of the pay-per-click project, the client successfully employed Be Found Online for a host of other digital marketing services. The client strongly recommends Be Found Online to others.

"Initially, the scope was just pay per click. We weren’t doing much with SEO or social media; however, after the tremendous success we've had with pay per click, we've expanded the work to some of those areas as well. "

Director of Marketing at Arizona Tile

Tempe, Arizona

Please provide a description of your company.

Arizona Tile is a slab and tile importer and distributor. We sell to both commercial and residential customers from our twenty-five brick and mortar locations and, of course, our online store as well.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the director of marketing. I'm in charge of traditional marketing functions: advertising, public relations, and merchandising. In addition to these, I am also responsible for our digital presence and website.

What was your goal for working with Be Found Online?

We were trying to increase traffic to our website, and were looking to improve our SEO [search engine optimization] and SEM [search engine marketing] efforts. We were looking for a partner to help us do that well.

What was your process for selecting Be Found Online with which to work?

One of their employees was someone we had worked with at a previous agency. I don’t recall the exact details, but I believe she reached out to us at that time.

Our selection process was perhaps a little unorthodox. We were already working with a different digital marketing firm, but we were not particularly thrilled with the results they were giving us. We decided to let both companies prove what they could do. So, we divided up our territory and gave them each half. We gave them similar budgets and parameters based on the markets they were in, and had them essentially go in a head-to-head competition to see who could provide the best results. In the end, it wasn't even a contest. Be Found Online clearly gave us the best results.

We spend north of $200,000 with them annually.

When did your relationship with them begin, and is it ongoing?

The relationship started six or seven years ago and is ongoing.

Can you talk about the results and how you feel they performed in terms of the quality of their work?

The results have been great. Their analytics are very impressive, and we’re pleased with the growth that we continue to see. The quality of people on our account has almost always been good, and we’re happy with the support and attention they give. It’s been a great partnership, and we really do consider them an extension of our internal team.

Are there any statistics or metrics you could provide that give an idea of the performance?

It’s hard to say because we've been with them for so long. The percent increases we see are anywhere from a couple percentage points to 300 percent increases.

I think their customer service certainly is above average when compared to any company. In my mind, customer service incorporates everything from the attention they give to our account, to the quality of people, and the results they deliver. Ultimately, I think their people are what set them apart.

This is a small point, but one thing I ask them is to try to give us data in a digestible format because there are so many figures and analytics.

What advice would you give to a future client of theirs?

Be open to their suggestions.

SCHEDULING: 4
Adria Harrison

The Spice House: Paid Search and Search Engine Optimization

Search engine optimization (SEO)

The client is an online retailer specializing in unique culinary spices. There was a need to raise the Spice House's online visibility, as it sought to expand from a regional to a national retailer. Be Found Online was referred to the client by a trusted colleague and was brought on to provide digital marketing services.

The client is very satisfied with the services provided by Be Found Online. The relationship began with a search engine optimization project that was very successful, and has since expanded into a range of digital marketing solutions. The client was particularly impressed with Be Found Online's pay-per-click services, which have made the most appreciable difference in client's bottom line. Be Found Online is highly recommended to others.

"I'm not very well versed in digital marketing, but when I share our metrics with people who are, they're blown away!'"

President, The Spice House

Chicago, IL

Please provide a description of your company.

We’re spice merchants. We sell spices from around the world to customers across the nation. We have five retail stores in Chicago in addition to our e-commerce store online.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I am president of the company.

What was your goal for working with Be Found Online?

We were trying to grow our online business, since our sales had stagnated for a couple years. At that point, we were introduced to Be Found Online.

Originally, they did some SEO [search engine optimization] for us, which required a few changes to the design and content of the site, and they worked with our developers to implement those changes. Then, we backed off on the optimization and concentrated on the paid search end of it, which has been very effective and profitable for us from day one.

What was your process for selecting Be Found Online with which to work?

We found them through a referral from our Web developers.

During slow months, we average $3,000 to $4,000 a month. When things get busy around the holidays and such, we ramp up to $10,000 a month.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We get weekly performance reports from Be Found Online. In the report for the week of December 15th, for example, the summary shows that clicks increased 20 percent, from 6,600 to 8,400; impressions increased 19 percent, from 232,000 to 277,000; cost per click increased from 36 cents to 38 cents; conversions increased 20 percent from 451 to 538; the conversion rate increased 5 percent, and our revenue increased 37 percent.

Is there anything unique about Be Found Online that really makes them stand out compared to other companies?

I wish we had more time to meet with them. There are always projects that we don’t implement because we don’t have the time, and they’re very busy. So, we end up meeting two or three times a year but, in a perfect world, we’d probably sit down and meet with them every other month.

What would you say to future clients of theirs?

They keep their word. If they tell you they’re going to do something, they do it.

OVERALL SCORE: 4
SCHEDULING: 4
Tom Erd

Sport Chalet Paid Search and Search Engine Optimization

Search engine optimization (SEO)

The client is Sport's Chalet, a retailer of high-end sporting equipment. The client was undergoing a complete redevelopment of their website when Be Found Online was brought on to provide search engine optimization assistance, and minimize any potential loss in site traffic during the redevelopment.

The client is very satisfied with the work provided by Be Found Online. Every key performance indicator was met, and site traffic grew substantially year over year. While the initial SEO project is complete, the client continues to work with Be Found Online on a substantial paid search campaign. Be Found Online is highly recommended to others.

"Be Found Online has absolutely top-flight people working on our account, and they have created an extremely complex and targeted approach to paid search optimization."

Director, Online Sales at Sport Chalet

1,001-5,000 Employees

Los Angeles, CA

Please provide a description of your company.

We’re a multi-channel sporting goods retailer with stores throughout California, Arizona, Nevada, and Utah as well as a nationwide online presence. We are in the upper tier of sporting goods retailers. We carry high-quality brands and first-to-market products across sporting gear, apparel, and footwear.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I am the director of online marketing. I have full responsibility for our online presence.

What was your goal in working with Be Found Online?

We needed to revise and relaunch our website without taking a significant hit in our visibility in search engines, which is always hard to do in this kind of project.

Be Found Online worked with us on revising our website. We upgraded our platform and completely relaunched the site last August. That involved a complete switch of all URLs on the site, which involved massive potential SEO [search engine optimization] risk. Be Found Online helped us assess risk, identify areas of concern, and create a mitigation plan, then partnered with us in reducing the inevitable impact on SEO in launching our new website.

What was your process in selecting Be Found Online with which to work?

I had worked with them through a previous company, and they met my two key criteria. Number one, they demonstrated significantly more knowledge about SEO than I have. Number two, they demonstrated the hands-on, daily attention to detail and sense of urgency that I have with regard to my business.

The SEO project was less than $100,000. The paid search billings are in the millions.

What were the results of the project?

The SEO project started in February of last year and was successfully completed in December. Our paid search work with them is ongoing.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We avoided any significant drop in SEO traffic with the site relaunch, and that was the primary KPI [key performance indicator] for us. Not only did we minimize any potential hits in site traffic, but also our traffic actually grew substantially year-over-year. Overall, we met or exceeded every single KPI for the project.

Be Found Online has absolutely top-flight people working on our account, and they have created an extremely complex and targeted approach to paid search optimization. They are accessible at a very high level, and the involvement of senior-level executives is hands on. I always appreciate that in a company. It’s a very personalized approach to dealing with clients. Their client base is not large and, as a result, they’re able to provide highly personalized attention. They don’t have a “one-size-fits-all” approach.

They were great about optimizing our budget and giving us input on where they thought our marketing dollars would be optimized.

They have to do a better job of understanding what their client’s skills and resources are. There’s a tendency not to be concerned about what the client can bring to a project. I’ve found that this is an issue across the board with agencies.

What advice would you give future clients?

Do your due diligence in clarifying what you are responsible for versus what the agency is responsible for. Make sure those different areas of responsibility are clearly identified in the statement of work, because this will determine whether or not you get what you paid for.

OVERALL SCORE: 4