Collaborative, Cloud-based Accountants

We love meeting new people and working with customers that have intriguing, dynamic businesses that challenge us. Please reach out to see if we’ll be a great fit for you and your business.

Basis 365® Accounting provides outsourced accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll services to eCommerce, SaaS and a wide range of Service-based businesses. Our customers range from $1mm - $20mm in revenue or roughly 5-100 employees.

We've flipped the traditional accounting model on its head by partnering with our customers and focusing on real-time accounting to deliver timely results to help our customers make better business decisions. You don’t need to worry about us being unreachable during the spring or fall tax seasons or surprising you with billable hours because we are not a CPA firm and work on fixed price agreements.

We deliver a 100% cloud-based accounting department and have customers across the US. Some of the benefits of partnering with us are:

• Business Continuity - No need to worry about your accountant giving you 2 weeks to find a replacement.
  • Scalable - We’re able to ramp up or down with your business. We also deliver budgeting, forecasting and performance dashboards.
  • Responsive - 24 hours response time. You won’t have to wonder “is anyone seeing this?"

Here are some of the amazing applications we work with that could be a part of your new accounting solution:

• Xero
  • FUTRLI
  • Gusto
  • Expensify

Los Angeles, CA

Overview of Basis 365 (01) Image

Overview of Basis 365 (01)

Mini Page 1 of our Overview

Overview of Basis 365 (02) Image

Overview of Basis 365 (02)

Mini Page 2 of our Overview

Expensify - receipt mobile Image

Expensify - receipt mobile

Expensify - receipt mobile image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - kpi Image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - kpi

FUTRLI KPI simplified image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - cash flow Image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - cash flow

FUTRLI cash flow image

Gusto Payroll - Mobile Image

Gusto Payroll - Mobile

Gusto Payroll, mobile image

Xero in the Cloud Image

Xero in the Cloud

Xero in the Cloud

Bookkeeping & Financial Analysis for Luxury Keyboard Company

"They offer a rare level of service, and I appreciate it very much."

Basis 365 installed Unleashed bookkeeping and financial analysis software to deliver weekly accounting reports. Other services included software onboarding and explanation to stakeholders.

San Francisco Bay Area, California
Ryan Norbauer
Owner, Norbauer & Co.

The solution is expected to improve profitability tracking as well as internal efficiency due to the automation of accounting processes. Expect Basis 365 to offer dedicated resources throughout the engagement. They consider strategies to benefit the long-term success of the solution.

I run a company that makes luxury computer keyboards. We’re a manufacturing and e-commerce firm. I design the products, market them, and sell them online.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365?

The challenges that I face with bookkeeping are specific to the fact that I do a lot of manufacturing work, which makes bookkeeping unusually complicated for an e-commerce business.

Typically, sellers on Shopify will buy ready-manufactured products and resell them. Amazon resellers and drop-shippers will typically go directly to China and find something that’s ready to go to market.

For my business, because it's so custom, I'm getting parts manufactured in one place, getting them finished in another place, getting them assembled in a third place, and then getting them shipped directly out to customers. I need to track all of that using bookkeeping methods that reflect the current profitability of a business, so I engage with bookkeepers that have a nuanced understanding of accrual accounting and inventory. My previous bookkeepers didn’t offer that, nor did they set up computer systems to automate the process.

I'm still going through the onboarding process. It has been taking longer for me than for their usual clients because of my special inventory requirements. We’re using new inventory software called Unleashed, which they had never used before. We are still working through systems setup.

I've only been working with their onboarding person. They offer a dedicated person whose job is to go to this onboarding process, figure out my needs, set up processes and document them. I expect to begin working with my normal daily bookkeeping team within the coming weeks. They’ll enter the transactions on the books based on the guidance provided to them by the onboarding resource.

How did you come to work with Basis 365?

I found them through a Google Search for companies with specific expertise in supporting e-commerce companies, specifically ones with more complicated bookkeeping requirements. I considered other companies as well.

The determining factor for selecting Basis 365 was that they were an interesting place right in the middle of the scale and automation spectrum, where an individual provider is at one end and a big bookkeeping company at the other end. Basis 365  puts in place a lot of processes to automate the work, but they also have people who are there to stop, think and look at the transactions as they are coming through and be thoughtful about unusual cases.

We’re spending $600 per month. We also paid some one-time flat fees for software setup.

We’ve been working with them since December 2018 and the engagement is ongoing.

They helped me figure out a software solution that could conceivably solve my problems. In the past, I was tracking all of my manufacturing in a batched accrual process.

My individual bookkeeper would pile up expenses related to manufacturing over time, and often it wasn’t until the very last day of the year that we would calculate the cost of manufacturing and apply them to the books. Using that process, there was no way over the course of the year to have any sense of how profitable our business was. Tracking every transaction manually would have been so tedious and expensive that it was barely worth it.

I didn’t know how to solve this problem, but Basis 365 introduced me to Unleashed, which I never could have set up myself. In that sense, even though I can't measure the value they have delivered to me yet, it's very clear that I now have a solution to a problem. Once the software is finished being set up and we start entering data regularly, I will be able to see my firm’s profitability weekly instead of annually. That’s a huge improvement.

How did Basis perform from a project management standpoint?

So far, my experience of having them set me up and maintain my books during the onboarding process has been absolutely excellent. I have no complaints whatsoever.

They’re thoughtful and they consider solutions not just for the moment, but in terms of what will be useful in the longer term. Whenever I send an email to anyone at Basis 365, they take the time to think about the question and answer it like a human being. They offer a rare level of service, and I appreciate it very much.

They are writing some internal documentation explaining how they are going to be handling my accounts and how everything works on their side. Perhaps they haven't shared some of that information with me to avoid overwhelming me, but I would appreciate some more insight and to be able to read those documents while they writing them. I would like to understand more about what they are doing on their side as part of the onboarding process, so I can see the systems and procedures they are putting in place. I am just trusting they are doing those correctly now and I don't have much insight yet into the specifics of what they are doing.

My recommendation is to get a lower level of service from Basis 365 for the same amount of money, rather than going with a more automated company, and that will lead to a better experience and better insight into the business.

They were able to batch some of my transactions and lower their service level, thereby reducing my monthly cost. I didn’t need real-time data. Even knowing where my business stands once a month is a huge improvement, and their service is much better, in terms of general thoughtfulness of the setup and the accuracy of the data.

I have already recommended them to a colleague of mine.

Outsourced Bookkeeping for Consumer Health Products Company

"They are well-suited to help e-commerce businesses with bookkeeping needs."

2019 - Ongoing

Basis 365 Accounting coordinates all bookkeeping processes for a consumer health products company. They use QuickBooks Online, among other tools, to track all financial components.

Kyle Stults
Chief Financial Officer, Luminas

Basis 365 Accounting’s involvement has been critical in fostering error-free bookkeeping. The team succeeds in offering personalized assistance for a growing e-commerce business. Their professionalism and communication instill a tremendous amount of trust in the engagement.

I am the CFO of Luminas. We make next-generation consumer products utilizing our proprietary energy medicine technology.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

As a startup, 2018 was a breakthrough year for us in terms of starting to ramp sales and expand our team. Along with that came increased complexity regarding our financial and bookkeeping needs. The company did not have a dedicated financial team or even a CFO at the time, so when I came in, I recognized the need for resources. We hired Basis 365 Accounting to help us get our books in order and move forward confidently.

We have effectively outsourced all of our bookkeeping processes and related needs to them. Basis 365 Accounting uses QuickBooks Online and Bill.com to make sure everything is in order. They’ve also used a project management service called Redbooth for onboarding and communication. They use a structured, systematic process that gives us confidence in our bookkeeping process.

I initially interfaced with Rhett (Co-founder, Basis 365 Accounting), but I now work daily with other members of the Basis365 team.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

I found them online as I searched for outsourced bookkeepers. I interviewed a handful of companies, but Basis 365 Accounting seemed to be the most polished in terms of their service offering. They also marketed themselves specifically to e-commerce business, which was attractive to us.

Our engagement began in January 2019 and remains ongoing.

Their efforts have helped us organize our financial statements and bookkeeping processes. They’ve put a useful and practical system in place. Their involvement has saved our company time and has allowed me as CFO to make more efficient use of my time. I have a high level of trust and confidence in them. We’ve looked at having in-house bookkeepers, but this system is ultimately more cost effective and has worked very well thus far. It’s been very helpful for a company like ours that is still growing and has intensive bookkeeping needs.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They are well-suited to help e-commerce businesses with bookkeeping needs. Basis 365 Accounting’s team has been responsive and willing to go above and beyond our needs. There’s a lot that can fall within the scope of bookkeeping, and they’ve been able to help and answer questions. We’ve used email and video conferencing tools to communicate, and I never feel like I miss anything, or if I do that it will be quickly taken care of.

Their processes are effective, and they have sound methods of communication. How they operate fosters great confidence in what they’re doing. They’ve been very professional.

No, so far the process has been smooth and has exceeded my expectations.

You must make sure that Basis 365 Accounting is an appropriate fit for your business depending on your stage of growth.

Payroll & Accounting Services for Software Provider

“They’re a well-oiled machine.”

July 2018 - Ongoing

Basis 365 Accounting handles all of the accounting needs of a software provider using Xero technology. The team is also working on automating additional internal processes like payroll and invoicing.

Greg Lovett
COO, Oropala Services

With Basis 365 Accounting’s help, internal staff can dedicate more time to important projects and clients. Overall, the team is independent and reliable. They ask questions when necessary and report all of their work. Their effective workflow makes them a valuable partner.

I’m the COO of Oropala Services, which is the management services company and software provider for the Gold Shovel Standard. We provide services and software solutions for clients in the construction industry.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We have a fair amount of accounting work for our business, but not enough to demand a full-time role. We wanted to completely outsource our needs so that we could allocate more time to our core responsibilities.

From day one, we moved all of our accounting processes to the Basis 365 Accounting team. Over time, we expanded their role to include payroll management and other affiliated tasks. Initially, a senior resource set up the operation and optimized it to best suit our needs, now a controller and other resources provide ongoing support.

The team uses Xero, which is an online SaaS-based accounting software, to automate our processes. With their developed knowledge and skill in this field, they’re also helping us improve additional needs. For example, we’re currently working on streamlining invoice generation.

They provide a controller, who is our main point of contact, and a supporting team of accounting resources.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

A colleague in the accounting space recommended them. I considered three firms in total, but ultimately chose Basis 365 Accounting for their competitive price and experience with automated accounting. I felt that they were capable of handling our needs and were very advanced in their automation approach.

We started working with them in July 2018, and it’s an ongoing relationship.

Both myself and our CEO are now completely free of accounting responsibilities, which allows us to dedicate more time to important projects and clients. Aside from reporting my direct expenses for approval, I don’t have to do anything at all.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re a well-oiled machine. If they have a question, they’ll reach out promptly. They provide detailed reports of their work. Overall, they’ve been extremely helpful.

Transitioning the workflow to their team was seamless. The team has really honed their processes; they’re simple and straightforward. In terms of materials, pricing agreement, and questions, they’ve thought of it all.

No, I can’t think of anything specific. With that said, our specific protocol for invoicing is a bit of a challenge. We target providing our clients an invoice within an hour. That turnaround timeframe doesn’t really fit well within their team’s workflow. However, they’re working with us on automating the process so that the turnaround time would be instant.

I recommend clients look to outsource as much work as possible to Basis 365 Accounting because they really know what they’re doing. With their help, I have a lot more time to focus on important matters. I encourage others to consider using their services.

Outsourced Financial Services for Robotics Company

"They are proactive and attentive to our needs as the client."

Apr. 2018 - Ongoing

Using Xero and a variety of cloud-based software, Basis 365 Accounting manages a payroll system, examines overseas and domestic spending, and monitors financial accounts.

CEO, Robotics Company

Despite the infancy of the project, the Basis 365 Accounting team has proven themselves helpful, responsive, and eager to learn. Their rapid response time has resulted in efficiently catching fraudulent credit card charges, as well as informing company-wide decisions.

I’m the CEO of a company that just launched a new type of high-powered, robotic vacuum and dust-buster.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

As a new company with limited experience, we needed to outsource our financial services.

Basis 365 Accounting uses Xero as a platform, and different cloud-based software to manage our financial services. These services span from setting up and maintaining our payroll system to linking together accounts to make more efficient processes.

I began speaking with the co-founder, who then introduced me to their remote team that handles integration, bookkeeping, and accounting platform management. We had a few meetings with the entire team, but I have almost daily communication with our account manager.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We were doing some online research, which included Clutch, QuickBooks, and Xero. As our research continued, we developed a list of criteria, such as location and skillset, and were impressed with Basis 365 Accounting's certificate program and their verified partnership with Xero.

We began speaking together in April 2018, the project officially began in May 2018, and we are still currently working together.

Since the project is still in its infancy, most of our criteria has been based on timeliness and receptiveness. They ask informed questions about our business, the market, and the project. Any time there has been confusion on an account, for example with an overseas transaction, it is quickly resolved with an email.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

In terms of day-to-day workflow, we use similar management techniques and processes, so there were no barriers to working together in that sense. They are professional and communicative, with a 24-hour turnaround time for any questions or issues. For example, I recently had a $3,000 fraudulent charge to my credit card, and they immediately emailed me. They are proactive and attentive to our needs as the client.

One thing that stands out in working with them is their responsiveness, as it has helped the company as a whole make better—more informed—decisions. Their team is always eager to explore and understand new technology, such as apps or platforms. Their willingness to learn and responsiveness has led to several thorough conversations about the path for the project.

So far, our work has been straightforward, so I don’t have any negative feedback or constructive criticism. As our company and the project grows, I’m interested to see how Basis 365 Accounting evolves with us.

Have someone on your team with accounting experience that is willing and ready to learn about different apps and platforms. That helps keep the project transparent and efficient all the way through to software integration. Be proactive in learning about new software.

Overall Score The entire team has been friendly, communicative, and forthcoming; I’ve never had to chase anyone down for information.
    There have been one or two missteps in scheduling over minor things.
    From early conversations, they were transparent and had an easy to understand billing system.
    Their deliverables have gone above and beyond what I asked for.
    Speaking from our experience as a small business, the project has gone seamlessly and I would easily recommend them to anyone in a similar position.

Bookkeeping Services for Cosmetics Retailer

"Prices are transparent and the team has great integrity."

Basis 365 Accounting provides ongoing bookkeeping services. They produce monthly financial reports and restructure software integrations to automate various processes.

Owner, Cosmetics Retailer

The integrations have streamlined operations and increased revenue. The team does accurate and timely work, which have raised internal accounting standards. Basis 365 also sets clear expectations for progress and deadlines. Although costs are higher, their quality service is consistent.

I own an omnichannel cosmetics retail shop. We sell to the U.S., Canadian, and European markets.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We had bad experiences with two different bookkeeping vendors. The first one was a freelancer that didn’t provide accurate accounting work. The second vendor wasn’t transparent and always three or four months behind on work; their billable hours were expensive as well. As a result, we needed a new accounting partner.

Basis 365 Accounting produces financial reports and does our bookkeeping. To manage the transition, the team coordinated with our CPA and moved us from QuickBooks to Xero. They’ve also restructured the software integrations as part of our effort to switch to better performance software.

The co-founder led the onboarding processes and then handed over to an operations specialist once work started. They also assigned an account manager.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We reached out because their ability to leverage software integrations matched our needs as an e-commerce retailer. The team’s willingness to find integrations for the different software we used prompted the transition.

We first started working together in October 2017. Basis 365 Accounting assumed all bookkeeping responsibilities in January 2018 and the partnership is ongoing.

They’ve streamlined operations–expenses are down and income is up. We now have full confidence in the bookkeeping’s accuracy. Prices are transparent and the team has great integrity. Basis 365 is very cautious about anything questionable that may cause an audit. Consequently, we’re holding ourselves to a higher level. We plan to partner with them for the long-term.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

The team is proactive; they set deadlines for both sides and attempt to gather as much data as possible without our assistance. Occasionally, we provide information, but always have deadlines for those deliveries. The dedicated account manager provides monthly reports and is always available to answer questions. His weekly check-ins clarify our expectations for upcoming work. I also have weekly interactions and end-of-the-month checks with the operations specialist for current high-level integration. We use Redbooth to track all aspects of the engagement.

The cost is high given they’re not a CPA firm, but the service is good. The price should reflect time saved with new automated processes. For example, the A2X (Amazon with Xero) integration streamlined operations, but costs don’t reflect the impact it and other improvements have had on bookkeeping.

Leverage technology and software as much as possible during the engagement because easy access to data makes the partnership easier.

The cost often feels high.

Invoicing & Payroll for HR Firm

"I don’t think of them as a separate company but as our own accounting department."

Oct. 2017 - Ongoing

Basis 365 executes tactical accounting aspects, as well as providing strategic financial guidance. They handle invoicing, payroll, bill payment, and answer employee accounting-specific questions.

Seattle, Washington
Jennifer Olsen
CEO, Resourceful HR

Basis’ work enables accurate financial planning and growth. By taking control of the accounting department, Basis 365 has empowered employees to focus on their specific tasks instead of using bandwidth on technical accounting functions.

I’m the owner of Resourceful HR. We’re an outsource HR and HR staffing company headquartered in Seattle and we provide services to the Seattle and San Francisco Bay areas.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

I wanted to have one service that would act as our accounting department on an outsourced basis.

They handle our invoicing, payroll, and online bill paying, answer employee questions, take care of our filings, and help me manage the finances of the business.

If clients have any questions, they contact Basis 365 directly. For example, sometimes clients will want to pay via credit card or have different invoicing processes, and they’re able to communicate those preferences to Basis 365, which has saved a lot of time.

We have two leads, a primary lead and a co-lead, who manage the different responsibilities in terms of the invoicing and payroll for outsourced HR and HR staffing components. They each take on specific responsibilities, as well as serving as backup for each other. They each have an internal team of associates that support them. I think in total, we have a team of five people, but we mostly interact with the leads.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We decided to work with Basis 365 because of how they approached working with us. We had limited our pool of potential partners down to three companies, and Basis 365 was the only one that we felt took the time to get to know us as a company. Before even handing us a proposal, they wanted to make sure they were a good fit for us in terms of how we do things and the level of employee interaction we expected. They took the time to get to know us and our processes.

We’ve worked with Basis since October 2017, and are still working together.

Since outsourcing the accounting, I’ve been able to devote more of my attention to the strategic role of my job as owner of the organization, as opposed to being pulled in multiple directions toward the accounting functions. Instead of spending brainpower on the more tactical pieces, I can work with Mike (Co-founder, Basis 365 Accounting), talk about where the company is headed strategically, and plan a financial path in order to achieve those goals.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They handle both the tactical execution of the bookkeeping and payroll and the more strategic financial management really well. Mike will serve as a controller and partner with me on the finance strategy concerning how the company is doing in relation to our strategic goals. They are also able to code daily, which means that I can go into the systems and see where we are financially at any given time. Additionally, they’ve set up systems that are more efficient than what we had before.

I don’t think of them as a separate company but as our own accounting department. They’re professional, knowledgeable, and timely.

Mike has told me that since we began working together, they’ve implemented processes of their own accord to improve this, but I do wish there was more visibility during the initial onboarding process. It took about three months to get everything established because of our requirements and the fact that we were a new account. In retrospect, it would have been helpful to have weekly or bi-weekly progress updates just to know exactly what was going on.

Especially as a small business owner that wants to make sure everything is perfect, the best advice I can give prospective clients is to trust Basis 365. The client experience is critical, and I was nervous to give up control of that. Now I see that if I had done that earlier, everything would have gone faster.

Payroll Support & Bookkeping for Cybersecurity Company

"They're easy to work with and provide quality services."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Basis 365 provides ongoing accounting services for a cybersecurity startup. They introduced effective management tools to organize monthly statements.

Paul Manley
CEO, Militus

Basis 365 offers worry-free, professional services. They installed easy-to-use tools that streamlined internal organization. Highly responsive managers ensure consistently reliable accounting.

I’m the CEO of Militus, a cybersecurity startup. We do deep assessments of networks to find vulnerabilities and malware, and then recommended remediation steps to improve security.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

While I initially intended to do my own bookkeeping, I quickly discovered that this distracted me from more important aspects of my business. I engaged Basis 365 and they ended up simplifying my entire accounting system.

We sat down to discuss my business and they introduced me to a number of accounting tools. I was unhappy with my payroll tool, so they set me up with Gusto. They also recommended Expensify for tracking expenses and Bill.com for billing, and I said yes to all of them.

Using those tools, Basis 365 helps me manage my monthly accounting. They categorize our various credit cards, bills, and bank statements, and I approve all tasks through email.

They’re also available to answer any accounting questions, particularly those related to annual taxes.

They have people across the country, so we typically communicate via email. I have an account manager, Elecia [Lead Accountant, Basis 365], who I work with directly, though Rhett [Co-founder, Basis 365] and Michael [Co-founder, Basis 365] are also always available.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

They have an office down the hall, so I just got lucky. I knocked on their door, they explained their business, and I realized it was exactly what I needed.

We started working together in December 2016 and our relationship is ongoing.

We send our monthly statements to the accountants of our lead investor, which is a large, publicly-listed company. They’ve been consistently happy with Basis 365’s work.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

I go over the monthly statements with Elecia and she always responds within hours. If she has questions about an expense, she sends me an email. We’ve never had any issues in that regard.

The accounting tools they put in place are also incredibly easy to use.

They’re highly responsive. They're easy to work with and provide quality services.

I can't think of anything. Any issues I've raised have been addressed immediately.

Use the tools they recommend. Also, be sure to communicate your finances and respond to any questions sent by your project manager. Failing to do so will make their life difficult. As long as you communicate, everything will take care of itself.

Outsourced Tax Support & Bookkeeping for Interior Design Firm

"Everything's been very seamless."

2015 - Ongoing

Basis 365 produces monthly and quarterly financial reports and handles monthly sales tax filing for a small business furnishing company.

John Matthews
Co-founder, Interior Design Firm

Always keeping their client prepared, Basis 365 continues to provide excellent service. Their communication is consistent and reliable, and they also collaborate smoothly with the client’s tax accounting firm.

I am a co-founder of a home-staging interior design firm. We do a combination of design and rental for people looking to sell their homes, model home builders, and in some cases people who are looking for an executive or short-term rental.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365?

Despite continued growth year over year, I was handling a lot of tasks in-house, including bookkeeping and financial reporting. I knew we needed help, but we were not in good position to hire someone internally, so I started looking for an external accounting vendor.

They started with bookkeeping support, getting our financial statements current and handling all the reconciliations with bank accounts. Once we were back to square one, they started providing regular monthly and quarterly reports, which have been invaluable for the insights we glean in terms of where we are and what we need to work on. They also added the ability to handle our sales tax filings, which are required monthly in the State of Colorado, where we are based.

At the top level, my go-to point of contact is Mike [Co-founder, Basis 365], and he regularly checks in to see how things are going. At the beginning of the project another team member was working on onboarding and getting us up-to-date, but he has since handed the reigns to our current point person, Erin [CPA, Basis 365], whose boots-on-the-ground accounting team handles the monthly and quarterly reports.

How did you come to work with Basis 365?

I found them both through a Google search and from a recommendation from someone in my network. I reached out and from there it was a pretty straightforward decision to start working with them.

I prefer to keep that confidential.

We've been working with Basis 365 for about 2 years and counting.

The best indicator of success on our end is that we're always prepared. Whether for filing or just for having the necessary conversations regarding quarterly or annual filing, we are always equipped to do so in a timely manner, and we've never had to sit around and wait. Also with the Colorado monthly sales tax reporting, they always file it about a week ahead of the deadline and communicate that to me. They are also very good at communicating with our tax accounting firm, and there have never been any confusing discrepancies there.

How did Basis 365 perform from a project management standpoint?

They've been great. We've never had any challenges with timelines or deadlines; everything's been very seamless in that regard. Their communication is very refreshing in that they put things in terms that my team can easily understand, rather than in technical accounting jargon. I have access to their work documents in shared online folders, but I generally don't need to keep tabs on their specific tasks, which I appreciate.

It's nice to have a reliable and affordable resource for our bookkeeping and accounting. We feel that their level of service and attention to detail are on par with what we would get from a big accounting firm, but at a price that makes sense for a small business.

There isn't anything at this point that I would have them do differently.

Accrued Bookkeeping for Search Marketing Agency

"They’re doing everything I would imagine an outsourced bookkeeping provider could do."

2014 - Ongoing

Basic 365 Accounting provided accrued bookkeeping for a B2B search marketing agency. The more advanced work allows for situational planning by means of data visualizations to increase operations.

Garrett Mehrguth
CEO, Directive Consulting

Their bookkeeping and accounting work has opened up additional resources for the business to grow. They’re always going the extra step to perform research and keep lines of communication open to provide the best possible service.

I'm the CEO of Directive Consulting and manage a lot of our financials. We're a B2B search marketing agency and help other B2B enterprise companies grow their marketing qualities.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting.

We were looking for someone to manage our bookkeeping for us. We wanted to outsource our accounting to someone, so they could do it under an accrual basis instead of a cash basis.

They manage our books and now do more advanced accounting. Now we’re able to break out service lines where we’re making more of our revenue. They’ve also become more involved with budget and cash planning.

We have someone in-house who runs admin and does accounts receivable, but we didn’t think it made sense to have them spend their time bookkeeping and reconciling the accounts. It was more affordable and made more sense to outsource it.

Transactions come in and Basis 365  assigns them to the proper accounts, and they can help me with cash based questions. They do most of the research by themselves to figure out where stuff goes and then they send me a spreadsheet at the end of the month.

The main tools they use are Xero and Fathom. Fathom helps us do situational planning and creates data visualizations allowing us to see our growth rate. If we wanted to increase our profit margin, we can see what tactics we can use to get there, maybe its increase volume or decrease cost and Fathom will increase your price to your goal. It creates scenarios which can be really strategic with our pricing and with our operations.

There are 3 people that I work with, but I send everything by email and one of them will respond.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We shared a co-working space when we were both getting started. We were doing their marketing and decided to outsource our bookkeeping and accounting to them.

We started working together in 2014, and the engagement is ongoing.

They’ve created additional resources for us to focus on other areas of our business where we can grow.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very great about communication. They’re always on time and it’s really helpful. They’re great at meeting the deadlines and making sure all the work is done. They’re doing really well.

They're always available for insight. They do a good job of answering my questions and I don't have to worry about them sending an invoice each and every time I ask them a question. I like the way they do billing and can add insight in a financially feasible way.

Not at all. They’re doing everything I would imagine an outsourced bookkeeping provider could do.

Have someone who is going to be Basis 365's point of contact and help them if they ever have questions. Make sure it's someone who can quickly communicate with them to have the support they need to do their job.

Overall Score They’ve done a great of getting tasks done on time and making sure our books are always up to date.
    They are really friendly and quick to answer any questions.
    They’ve done a really good job and are financially appropriate.
    They've always done a great job. I've never had any concerns with their work.
    Very much so. I already have.

Xero, Gusto & Consultation Services for Digital Marketing Agency

"They’ve provided incredibly helpful people at every step of the way."

2013 - Ongoing

Basis 365 provides accounting services associated with Gusto and Xero, largely helping to create financial reports and monitor costs. The team also reconciles transactions on a day-to-day basis and provides one-off support when needed.

Mark Thimming
CEO, Conservaco

Basis 365's real-time numbers prevent errors and unknown charges, resulting in proper reports and documentation, as well as smoother processes. Their services save a growing business a substantial amount of costs, and the team is commended for their timeliness and communication.

Conservaco has a sub-brand called Ignite Agency, among others. We focus on the digital marketing and advertising space, with a particular specialty in the area of equity and non-equity crowdfunding campaign development and management, which includes Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns, and multimillion-dollar fundraising for clients. We also work with clients not interested in crowdfunding, on website development, public relations, social media, graphic design, video production and many other marketing and public relations initiatives.

I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

In my 40 years of experience, I’ve learned that it’s essential for the management and CEO of a company to have real-time financial and reporting information, and have solid controls in place, ensuring that money and expenditures are documented and maintained properly, on a day-to-day basis. I sought Basis 365 out because they were a young, dynamic firm which offered a contemporary, real-time software solution, the Xero platform.

Basis 365 brought a level of expertise and consultation which was helpful as we were developing everything from chartered accounts through to processes and integrations with banking, credit cards and so on. After the initial signup, we spent the early days setting up the Xero platform, working with Basis 365 in order to get a proper chart of our accounts, and importing any prior transaction data of the company. We have online access which allows me to review the status of our financial reporting and any items coming through our banking or credit cards, and confirm those transactions. I’m able to look at histories, and create all kinds of different reports, querying the system around any question I might have. Xero has been a drastic improvement over other types of accounting software out there.

More recently, in May 2017, we’ve added payroll implementation through Gusto, which is being managed and supported by Basis 365. It was another solution brought to help us manage our payroll processing.

The initial onboarding process was quick, getting us up-and-running within a week or two. We usually finalize financials by the 15th of the month and often know well in advance what the likely final numbers will be. This works for us because we don’t need a faster closure.

There are at least two people overseeing the day-to-day transaction activity. Rhett [Co-founder, Basis 365 Accounting] has always made himself accessible when I needed it.

I prefer to keep this confidential.

We started working with Basis 365 three and a half years ago. The relationship is ongoing; we’ve expanded it with other companies within our group. As our company grew, so did our relationship with them.

Having a real-time grasp of the financial condition of the company—pending invoices and the monitoring of costs on a real-time basis—has been a tremendous help. Firstly, it cut down on potential errors, being billed for something without being aware of it, only finding out about it months later. We have real-time visualizations, so the likelihood of unknown charges occurring drops dramatically. Having proper documentation on everything helps enormously—if we have to go back any period of time and try to understand why a transaction occurred, we’re able to see what we spend the money on, and why, linking it to whatever description we applied to those charges. It’s been tremendously helpful for me to have this understanding.

Their service has certainly saved us a lot of money, given that we don’t need to have a full staff of accounting people onboard. This is an important thing for a growing company. For a company of our size, growing rapidly and with clients who may not always pay on time, having a good grasp of what our expenses, obligations and incoming funds are, is critical.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve provided incredibly helpful people at every step of the way, who have been patient and informative in helping us manage our processes better. They’ve been prompt in responding to and resolving any questions I might have had. They’re outstanding in terms of timelines and communication. I can reach out to them by email or phone regarding any question. We have a good structure regarding our expectations, and they’re good at reconciling transactions on a day-to-day basis, and if they don’t understand an item, they will email me with any questions or post them in the system where I can also respond.

I’ve worked with other accounting services in the past. Basis 365 offers a combination of the Xero accounting system, the Gusto payroll system, and the actual process used by their team for making sure that we are current in our reporting and reconciliations on a day-to-day basis. It’s outstanding customer service which I’ve never seen from any other organization in the past. Basis 365 gives me confidence in an area which can be confusing and frustrating at times, accounting.

I am satisfied with the services they’ve provided, and, if there is any feedback, we share it with them. I have no pending or deferred comments to make at this point. I would highly recommend Basis 365 to new and established companies looking for a better accounting process, along with the support provided.