Collaborative, Cloud-based Accountants

We love meeting new people and working with customers that have intriguing, dynamic businesses that challenge us. Please reach out to see if we’ll be a great fit for you and your business.

Basis 365® Accounting provides outsourced accounting, bookkeeping, and payroll services to eCommerce, SaaS and a wide range of Service-based businesses. Our customers range from $1mm - $20mm in revenue or roughly 5-100 employees.

We've flipped the traditional accounting model on its head by partnering with our customers and focusing on real-time accounting to deliver timely results to help our customers make better business decisions. You don’t need to worry about us being unreachable during the spring or fall tax seasons or surprising you with billable hours because we are not a CPA firm and work on fixed price agreements.

We deliver a 100% cloud-based accounting department and have customers across the US. Some of the benefits of partnering with us are:

• Business Continuity - No need to worry about your accountant giving you 2 weeks to find a replacement.
  • Scalable - We’re able to ramp up or down with your business. We also deliver budgeting, forecasting and performance dashboards.
  • Responsive - 24 hours response time. You won’t have to wonder “is anyone seeing this?"

Here are some of the amazing applications we work with that could be a part of your new accounting solution:

• Xero
  • FUTRLI
  • Gusto
  • Expensify

Irvine, CA
  • Basis 365 Accounting
    5151 CAlifornia Ave, Suite 100
    Irvine, CA 92617

Overview of Basis 365 (01)

Mini Page 1 of our Overview

Overview of Basis 365 (02)

Mini Page 2 of our Overview

Expensify - receipt mobile

Expensify - receipt mobile image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - kpi

FUTRLI KPI simplified image

FUTRLI financial dashboards - cash flow

FUTRLI cash flow image

Gusto Payroll - Mobile

Gusto Payroll, mobile image

Xero in the Cloud

Xero in the Cloud

Bookkeeping Services for Cosmetics Retailer

"Prices are transparent and the team has great integrity."

Basis 365 Accounting provides ongoing bookkeeping services. They produce monthly financial reports and restructure software integrations to automate various processes.

Owner, Cosmetics Retailer

The integrations have streamlined operations and increased revenue. The team does accurate and timely work, which have raised internal accounting standards. Basis 365 also sets clear expectations for progress and deadlines. Although costs are higher, their quality service is consistent.

I own an omnichannel cosmetics retail shop. We sell to the U.S., Canadian, and European markets.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We had bad experiences with two different bookkeeping vendors. The first one was a freelancer that didn’t provide accurate accounting work. The second vendor wasn’t transparent and always three or four months behind on work; their billable hours were expensive as well. As a result, we needed a new accounting partner.

Basis 365 Accounting produces financial reports and does our bookkeeping. To manage the transition, the team coordinated with our CPA and moved us from QuickBooks to Xero. They’ve also restructured the software integrations as part of our effort to switch to better performance software.

The co-founder led the onboarding processes and then handed over to an operations specialist once work started. They also assigned an account manager.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We reached out because their ability to leverage software integrations matched our needs as an e-commerce retailer. The team’s willingness to find integrations for the different software we used prompted the transition.

We first started working together in October 2017. Basis 365 Accounting assumed all bookkeeping responsibilities in January 2018 and the partnership is ongoing.

They’ve streamlined operations–expenses are down and income is up. We now have full confidence in the bookkeeping’s accuracy. Prices are transparent and the team has great integrity. Basis 365 is very cautious about anything questionable that may cause an audit. Consequently, we’re holding ourselves to a higher level. We plan to partner with them for the long-term.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

The team is proactive; they set deadlines for both sides and attempt to gather as much data as possible without our assistance. Occasionally, we provide information, but always have deadlines for those deliveries. The dedicated account manager provides monthly reports and is always available to answer questions. His weekly check-ins clarify our expectations for upcoming work. I also have weekly interactions and end-of-the-month checks with the operations specialist for current high-level integration. We use Redbooth to track all aspects of the engagement.

The cost is high given they’re not a CPA firm, but the service is good. The price should reflect time saved with new automated processes. For example, the A2X (Amazon with Xero) integration streamlined operations, but costs don’t reflect the impact it and other improvements have had on bookkeeping.

Leverage technology and software as much as possible during the engagement because easy access to data makes the partnership easier.

The cost often feels high.

Invoicing & Payroll for HR Firm

"I don’t think of them as a separate company but as our own accounting department."

Oct. 2017 - Ongoing

Basis 365 executes tactical accounting aspects, as well as providing strategic financial guidance. They handle invoicing, payroll, bill payment, and answer employee accounting-specific questions.

Seattle, Washington
Jennifer Olsen
CEO, Resourceful HR

Basis’ work enables accurate financial planning and growth. By taking control of the accounting department, Basis 365 has empowered employees to focus on their specific tasks instead of using bandwidth on technical accounting functions.

I’m the owner of Resourceful HR. We’re an outsource HR and HR staffing company headquartered in Seattle and we provide services to the Seattle and San Francisco Bay areas.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

I wanted to have one service that would act as our accounting department on an outsourced basis.

They handle our invoicing, payroll, and online bill paying, answer employee questions, take care of our filings, and help me manage the finances of the business.

If clients have any questions, they contact Basis 365 directly. For example, sometimes clients will want to pay via credit card or have different invoicing processes, and they’re able to communicate those preferences to Basis 365, which has saved a lot of time.

We have two leads, a primary lead and a co-lead, who manage the different responsibilities in terms of the invoicing and payroll for outsourced HR and HR staffing components. They each take on specific responsibilities, as well as serving as backup for each other. They each have an internal team of associates that support them. I think in total, we have a team of five people, but we mostly interact with the leads.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We decided to work with Basis 365 because of how they approached working with us. We had limited our pool of potential partners down to three companies, and Basis 365 was the only one that we felt took the time to get to know us as a company. Before even handing us a proposal, they wanted to make sure they were a good fit for us in terms of how we do things and the level of employee interaction we expected. They took the time to get to know us and our processes.

We’ve worked with Basis since October 2017, and are still working together.

Since outsourcing the accounting, I’ve been able to devote more of my attention to the strategic role of my job as owner of the organization, as opposed to being pulled in multiple directions toward the accounting functions. Instead of spending brainpower on the more tactical pieces, I can work with Mike (Co-founder, Basis 365 Accounting), talk about where the company is headed strategically, and plan a financial path in order to achieve those goals.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They handle both the tactical execution of the bookkeeping and payroll and the more strategic financial management really well. Mike will serve as a controller and partner with me on the finance strategy concerning how the company is doing in relation to our strategic goals. They are also able to code daily, which means that I can go into the systems and see where we are financially at any given time. Additionally, they’ve set up systems that are more efficient than what we had before.

I don’t think of them as a separate company but as our own accounting department. They’re professional, knowledgeable, and timely.

Mike has told me that since we began working together, they’ve implemented processes of their own accord to improve this, but I do wish there was more visibility during the initial onboarding process. It took about three months to get everything established because of our requirements and the fact that we were a new account. In retrospect, it would have been helpful to have weekly or bi-weekly progress updates just to know exactly what was going on.

Especially as a small business owner that wants to make sure everything is perfect, the best advice I can give prospective clients is to trust Basis 365. The client experience is critical, and I was nervous to give up control of that. Now I see that if I had done that earlier, everything would have gone faster.

Payroll Support & Bookkeping for Cybersecurity Company

"They're easy to work with and provide quality services."

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

Basis 365 provides ongoing accounting services for a cybersecurity startup. They introduced effective management tools to organize monthly statements.

Irvine, California
Paul Manley
CEO, Militus

Basis 365 offers worry-free, professional services. They installed easy-to-use tools that streamlined internal organization. Highly responsive managers ensure consistently reliable accounting.

I’m the CEO of Militus, a cybersecurity startup. We do deep assessments of networks to find vulnerabilities and malware, and then recommended remediation steps to improve security.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

While I initially intended to do my own bookkeeping, I quickly discovered that this distracted me from more important aspects of my business. I engaged Basis 365 and they ended up simplifying my entire accounting system.

We sat down to discuss my business and they introduced me to a number of accounting tools. I was unhappy with my payroll tool, so they set me up with Gusto. They also recommended Expensify for tracking expenses and Bill.com for billing, and I said yes to all of them.

Using those tools, Basis 365 helps me manage my monthly accounting. They categorize our various credit cards, bills, and bank statements, and I approve all tasks through email.

They’re also available to answer any accounting questions, particularly those related to annual taxes.

They have people across the country, so we typically communicate via email. I have an account manager, Elecia [Lead Accountant, Basis 365], who I work with directly, though Rhett [Co-founder, Basis 365] and Michael [Co-founder, Basis 365] are also always available.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

They have an office down the hall, so I just got lucky. I knocked on their door, they explained their business, and I realized it was exactly what I needed.

We started working together in December 2016 and our relationship is ongoing.

We send our monthly statements to the accountants of our lead investor, which is a large, publicly-listed company. They’ve been consistently happy with Basis 365’s work.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

I go over the monthly statements with Elecia and she always responds within hours. If she has questions about an expense, she sends me an email. We’ve never had any issues in that regard.

The accounting tools they put in place are also incredibly easy to use.

They’re highly responsive. They're easy to work with and provide quality services.

I can't think of anything. Any issues I've raised have been addressed immediately.

Use the tools they recommend. Also, be sure to communicate your finances and respond to any questions sent by your project manager. Failing to do so will make their life difficult. As long as you communicate, everything will take care of itself.

Outsourced Tax Support & Bookkeeping for Interior Design Firm

"Everything's been very seamless."

2015 - Ongoing

Basis 365 produces monthly and quarterly financial reports and handles monthly sales tax filing for a small business furnishing company.

John Matthews
Co-founder, Interior Design Firm

Always keeping their client prepared, Basis 365 continues to provide excellent service. Their communication is consistent and reliable, and they also collaborate smoothly with the client’s tax accounting firm.

I am a co-founder of a home-staging interior design firm. We do a combination of design and rental for people looking to sell their homes, model home builders, and in some cases people who are looking for an executive or short-term rental.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365?

Despite continued growth year over year, I was handling a lot of tasks in-house, including bookkeeping and financial reporting. I knew we needed help, but we were not in good position to hire someone internally, so I started looking for an external accounting vendor.

They started with bookkeeping support, getting our financial statements current and handling all the reconciliations with bank accounts. Once we were back to square one, they started providing regular monthly and quarterly reports, which have been invaluable for the insights we glean in terms of where we are and what we need to work on. They also added the ability to handle our sales tax filings, which are required monthly in the State of Colorado, where we are based.

At the top level, my go-to point of contact is Mike [Co-founder, Basis 365], and he regularly checks in to see how things are going. At the beginning of the project another team member was working on onboarding and getting us up-to-date, but he has since handed the reigns to our current point person, Erin [CPA, Basis 365], whose boots-on-the-ground accounting team handles the monthly and quarterly reports.

How did you come to work with Basis 365?

I found them both through a Google search and from a recommendation from someone in my network. I reached out and from there it was a pretty straightforward decision to start working with them.

I prefer to keep that confidential.

We've been working with Basis 365 for about 2 years and counting.

The best indicator of success on our end is that we're always prepared. Whether for filing or just for having the necessary conversations regarding quarterly or annual filing, we are always equipped to do so in a timely manner, and we've never had to sit around and wait. Also with the Colorado monthly sales tax reporting, they always file it about a week ahead of the deadline and communicate that to me. They are also very good at communicating with our tax accounting firm, and there have never been any confusing discrepancies there.

How did Basis 365 perform from a project management standpoint?

They've been great. We've never had any challenges with timelines or deadlines; everything's been very seamless in that regard. Their communication is very refreshing in that they put things in terms that my team can easily understand, rather than in technical accounting jargon. I have access to their work documents in shared online folders, but I generally don't need to keep tabs on their specific tasks, which I appreciate.

It's nice to have a reliable and affordable resource for our bookkeeping and accounting. We feel that their level of service and attention to detail are on par with what we would get from a big accounting firm, but at a price that makes sense for a small business.

There isn't anything at this point that I would have them do differently.

Accrued Bookkeeping for Search Marketing Agency

"They’re doing everything I would imagine an outsourced bookkeeping provider could do."

2014 - Ongoing

Basic 365 Accounting provided accrued bookkeeping for a B2B search marketing agency. The more advanced work allows for situational planning by means of data visualizations to increase operations.

Irvine, California
Garrett Mehrguth
CEO, Directive Consulting

Their bookkeeping and accounting work has opened up additional resources for the business to grow. They’re always going the extra step to perform research and keep lines of communication open to provide the best possible service.

I'm the CEO of Directive Consulting and manage a lot of our financials. We're a B2B search marketing agency and help other B2B enterprise companies grow their marketing qualities.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting.

We were looking for someone to manage our bookkeeping for us. We wanted to outsource our accounting to someone, so they could do it under an accrual basis instead of a cash basis.

They manage our books and now do more advanced accounting. Now we’re able to break out service lines where we’re making more of our revenue. They’ve also become more involved with budget and cash planning.

We have someone in-house who runs admin and does accounts receivable, but we didn’t think it made sense to have them spend their time bookkeeping and reconciling the accounts. It was more affordable and made more sense to outsource it.

Transactions come in and Basis 365  assigns them to the proper accounts, and they can help me with cash based questions. They do most of the research by themselves to figure out where stuff goes and then they send me a spreadsheet at the end of the month.

The main tools they use are Xero and Fathom. Fathom helps us do situational planning and creates data visualizations allowing us to see our growth rate. If we wanted to increase our profit margin, we can see what tactics we can use to get there, maybe its increase volume or decrease cost and Fathom will increase your price to your goal. It creates scenarios which can be really strategic with our pricing and with our operations.

There are 3 people that I work with, but I send everything by email and one of them will respond.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We shared a co-working space when we were both getting started. We were doing their marketing and decided to outsource our bookkeeping and accounting to them.

We started working together in 2014, and the engagement is ongoing.

They’ve created additional resources for us to focus on other areas of our business where we can grow.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very great about communication. They’re always on time and it’s really helpful. They’re great at meeting the deadlines and making sure all the work is done. They’re doing really well.

They're always available for insight. They do a good job of answering my questions and I don't have to worry about them sending an invoice each and every time I ask them a question. I like the way they do billing and can add insight in a financially feasible way.

Not at all. They’re doing everything I would imagine an outsourced bookkeeping provider could do.

Have someone who is going to be Basis 365's point of contact and help them if they ever have questions. Make sure it's someone who can quickly communicate with them to have the support they need to do their job.

Overall Score They’ve done a great of getting tasks done on time and making sure our books are always up to date.
    They are really friendly and quick to answer any questions.
    They’ve done a really good job and are financially appropriate.
    They've always done a great job. I've never had any concerns with their work.
    Very much so. I already have.

Xero, Gusto & Consultation Services for Digital Marketing Agency

"They’ve provided incredibly helpful people at every step of the way."

2013 - Ongoing

Basis 365 provides accounting services associated with Gusto and Xero, largely helping to create financial reports and monitor costs. The team also reconciles transactions on a day-to-day basis and provides one-off support when needed.

Mark Thimming
CEO, Conservaco

Basis 365's real-time numbers prevent errors and unknown charges, resulting in proper reports and documentation, as well as smoother processes. Their services save a growing business a substantial amount of costs, and the team is commended for their timeliness and communication.

Conservaco has a sub-brand called Ignite Agency, among others. We focus on the digital marketing and advertising space, with a particular specialty in the area of equity and non-equity crowdfunding campaign development and management, which includes Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns, and multimillion-dollar fundraising for clients. We also work with clients not interested in crowdfunding, on website development, public relations, social media, graphic design, video production and many other marketing and public relations initiatives.

I am the CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

In my 40 years of experience, I’ve learned that it’s essential for the management and CEO of a company to have real-time financial and reporting information, and have solid controls in place, ensuring that money and expenditures are documented and maintained properly, on a day-to-day basis. I sought Basis 365 out because they were a young, dynamic firm which offered a contemporary, real-time software solution, the Xero platform.

Basis 365 brought a level of expertise and consultation which was helpful as we were developing everything from chartered accounts through to processes and integrations with banking, credit cards and so on. After the initial signup, we spent the early days setting up the Xero platform, working with Basis 365 in order to get a proper chart of our accounts, and importing any prior transaction data of the company. We have online access which allows me to review the status of our financial reporting and any items coming through our banking or credit cards, and confirm those transactions. I’m able to look at histories, and create all kinds of different reports, querying the system around any question I might have. Xero has been a drastic improvement over other types of accounting software out there.

More recently, in May 2017, we’ve added payroll implementation through Gusto, which is being managed and supported by Basis 365. It was another solution brought to help us manage our payroll processing.

The initial onboarding process was quick, getting us up-and-running within a week or two. We usually finalize financials by the 15th of the month and often know well in advance what the likely final numbers will be. This works for us because we don’t need a faster closure.

There are at least two people overseeing the day-to-day transaction activity. Rhett [Co-founder, Basis 365 Accounting] has always made himself accessible when I needed it.

I prefer to keep this confidential.

We started working with Basis 365 three and a half years ago. The relationship is ongoing; we’ve expanded it with other companies within our group. As our company grew, so did our relationship with them.

Having a real-time grasp of the financial condition of the company—pending invoices and the monitoring of costs on a real-time basis—has been a tremendous help. Firstly, it cut down on potential errors, being billed for something without being aware of it, only finding out about it months later. We have real-time visualizations, so the likelihood of unknown charges occurring drops dramatically. Having proper documentation on everything helps enormously—if we have to go back any period of time and try to understand why a transaction occurred, we’re able to see what we spend the money on, and why, linking it to whatever description we applied to those charges. It’s been tremendously helpful for me to have this understanding.

Their service has certainly saved us a lot of money, given that we don’t need to have a full staff of accounting people onboard. This is an important thing for a growing company. For a company of our size, growing rapidly and with clients who may not always pay on time, having a good grasp of what our expenses, obligations and incoming funds are, is critical.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve provided incredibly helpful people at every step of the way, who have been patient and informative in helping us manage our processes better. They’ve been prompt in responding to and resolving any questions I might have had. They’re outstanding in terms of timelines and communication. I can reach out to them by email or phone regarding any question. We have a good structure regarding our expectations, and they’re good at reconciling transactions on a day-to-day basis, and if they don’t understand an item, they will email me with any questions or post them in the system where I can also respond.

I’ve worked with other accounting services in the past. Basis 365 offers a combination of the Xero accounting system, the Gusto payroll system, and the actual process used by their team for making sure that we are current in our reporting and reconciliations on a day-to-day basis. It’s outstanding customer service which I’ve never seen from any other organization in the past. Basis 365 gives me confidence in an area which can be confusing and frustrating at times, accounting.

I am satisfied with the services they’ve provided, and, if there is any feedback, we share it with them. I have no pending or deferred comments to make at this point. I would highly recommend Basis 365 to new and established companies looking for a better accounting process, along with the support provided.

Outsourced CFO & International Expansion Support for Mobile Tech Studio

"We’ve had some very bad experiences with previous CFOs … and Basis 365 completely restored my faith in humanity."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

As an outsourced partner, Basis 365 managed onboarding and international transaction processes. They provide a full suite of CFO services, including bookkeeping, invoicing, cash-flow forecasting, and metrics.

Los Angeles Metro Area, California
Marc Fischer
CEO, Dogtown Media

Solutions they implemented cut AR and AP processing time in half, speeding up cash flow. They secured key services and simplified tax strategy. While some internal CFO services are lacking, their agile methodology, proactive and clear communication, and tech-savvy make them an ideal partner.

I am the founder and CEO of Dogtown Media. We’re a mobile technology studio; we take ideas and turn them into mobile apps.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We needed a CFO, but we didn’t need them to be full-time, and we didn't have the budget for a full-time salary.

They are actively providing us a full suite of outsourced CFO services, such as bookkeeping, invoicing, cash-flow forecasting and tracking of key metrics. They help us make informed business decisions.

We have scaled quite a bit, and they've been with us every step of the way. They’ve adapted to changing circumstances as we’ve opened up an office abroad and are internationalizing our position in the marketplace. As far as accounting services, that expansion entails coordinating with our local team members and setting up operational processes to minimize transactional costs and risk.

We've had an onboarding expert set up all of our systems and transfer the data from our earlier CFO to their program.

We have a personalized liaison as our main point of contact. There's also an onboarding manager. For more complex processes and questions, the 2 founders come in. They also help a lot with referrals to strategic partners.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We did a deep dive and interviewed 9 other vendors before deciding on Basis 365.

They understood our business model. They'd worked in technology themselves and had credibility and experience. They were able to answer all the questions that I had, and they showed me that they were able to perform at a high caliber with a competitive pricing model.

I pay them $48,000 a year plus a few extra fees for consulting services, so it rounds out at around $50,000.

We've been working with them since January 2017.

Revenue is definitely up. While Basis 365 isn’t solely responsible for that, the processes, invoicing, communication, and feedback mechanisms they implemented have lowered the time that it takes to get money in the door. Our accounts payable and accounts receivable processes are much smoother and work twice as fast.

Our tax strategy has been much smoother than with our former CFO. We do a lot of financial planning and forecasting, and they've really been pivotal in helping us secure qualified partners for 401(k) and tax return services.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

It's been great. They are fantastic. They're very responsive and communicative. They came in at a tumultuous time for us and have implemented new processes as we’ve grown.

We have several communication channels, touch point calls twice a week, a Slack channel that is running with 2-way and 3-way communication, and email.

Their answers to questions, reminders, and everything else are on point. They answer questions clearly and quickly as they arise and provide clear feedback for us when we need to perform a task. We get frequent updates so that there are no surprises; we keep them in the loop and they give us the feedback we need to be successful. I especially love how proactive the executives are.

They are tech-savvy. Our respective cultures are well-aligned. They like to test assumptions and run like a lean startup. Most of all, they adopt frameworks and processes that are efficient, raise productivity, and don't add unnecessary layers. They minimize admin tasks through adopting smart technologies.

If we had an internal CFO, we would get more in-depth consulting and financial engineering, like how to run lines of credit, and more proactive advice. Those additional services would be helpful.

Have all your systems documented and ready to be ported over ahead of time so that it's a smooth transition. That helps you avoid last-minute work and long hours. Be prepared, set up communication channels, and clearly lay out what responsibilities you want them to have and what responsibilities you want to maintain in-house.

Overall Score They’re responsive and proactive about offering solutions. If they don’t know something, they’re honest about it and connect us with experts that complement their skill set.
    They're on point. They have a task management scheduler and constantly remind me of things I need to do.
    They're more expensive than other solutions I've looked at, but I look at value over anything else. They definitely offer the best value for the money.
    We’ve had some very bad experiences with previous CFOs, both in-house and outsourced, and Basis 365 completely restored my faith in humanity.
    I've already recommended them to 2 colleagues looking for these services.

Outsourced Accounting for Consulting Firm

"They have a very good robust process ... which gave us the confidence to outsource our accounting."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

Basis 365 provides bookkeeping, invoicing, AP/AR management, monthly close, and financial statement services. They also integrated solutions, including Workflowmax, Expensify, Gusto, Box, Bill.com, and Xero.

San Francisco Bay Area, California
Ramy Khalil
CEO, Scimitar Inc.

Their astute and seasoned team streamlined the entire accounting process. Basis 365 ultimately released the client from obligating their own time and performed exponentially well amidst migration and startup challenges. Transparency and precision continue to instill confidence in the relationship.

We are a management consulting firm working exclusively with the life sciences sector, including biotech, pharma, diagnostics and medical devices. We provide comprehensive consulting services covering the value chain including research, clinical development, manufacturing and supply chain, and commercial. We are unique in that our staff is composed of only seasoned industry-focused
consultants.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We were outsourcing accounting to allow our consulting staff to devote more of their valuable time to our clients instead of managing internal operations. Outsourcing to our first service provider saved a little bit of time, but not as much as we expected from the relationship. We didn’t have peace of mind, and I was doing a lot of oversight and double checking. Our original service provider was not adequately scaling to our business, so we initiated a new search and found Basis 365.

We retained Basis 365 to manage our accounting operations, but to do that in a streamlined and scalable manner we needed to go through an onboarding phase to standardize our project controls and migrate to a scalable and user-friendly suite of tools that would provide financial transparency, project-level transparency, and enable compliance amongst our staff. Basis 365 migrated our cash-basis Quickbooks accounting and prepared us for more accurate accrual-based tracking in Xero, our accounting platform. They introduced us to Workflowmax, a work management system, that allows us to manage our full project lifecycle from lead generation to staff assignments to project level financial reporting to invoicing. They fully integrated the work management platform into Xero. We were previously using Gusto, Bill.com, and Expensify which they also fully integrated into our accounting operations. This minimized the organizational change management to get my team up and running in the new ecosystem.

Since the migration, Basis 365 has been running all of our accounting operations including bookkeeping, invoicing, accounts payable/receivable management, monthly close, and both monthly and annual financial statement for tax preparation. They even provide quarterly financial performance analysis and insights to help me manage the business. Over just a few months of collaboration, we’ve shifted from weekly 1-hour meetings to bi-weekly 1-hour meetings to 30-minute bi-weekly meetings at my request. My goal is 30 minutes monthly. The decreasing time on calls is indicative of my continually increasing confidence in the team, and the full transparency they have created through WorkflowMax and Xero, where I can pull reports faster than emailing a request.

Our overall project controls toolkit is much more effective than it was before. Instead of people coming to me for project financial or remaining budget updates, my account managers and project leads just log into the systems and look for themselves.

They have delivered extremely well on my very simple needs – saving me time and giving me confidence that my numbers are accurate so I can spend less time in the back office and more time with my staff and clients.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

I’d evaluated basis during our initial accounting outsourcing initiative. They were slightly more expensive than the provider we selected, who was using Quickbooks, a platform more familiar to me.

My price sensitivity during early years of growth came at the expense of setting up scalable and truly turnkey systems. After a couple years, when I couldn’t afford the time and financial risk of using our other provider, I reached back out to Basis 365 for a quote, and we moved very quickly from there.

They charge us a flat fee for services per month as per our contract. They have multiple service offerings depending on the necessary amount of coaching, feedback, and financial management support your business may need. I signed up for one of their lower support tiers because I ran the books personally for years – so I already knew our business in excruciating detail. If our needs grow, then I will reach out and ask for an increased level of support.

We’ve been working with Basis 365 since March 2017. Things are going very well so I don't see an end to this engagement anytime soon.

I was working 10–12 hours per week on accounting and financial management oversight, on top of 40-50 hours per week of client work and more time coaching my staff. 40-50 hours per month of bookkeeping, invoice generation, timecard review, report generation, and AP/AR [Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable] tracking has dropped to a few hours a month. This gives me more time with clients, more time with my staff, and more time with my family. The time back is priceless, and the business is running more smoothly.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They did a great job, and I would rate them very highly. Every migration has hiccups, and the Basis 365 staff stepped in to cover for some of my own staff who I had assigned to lead the migration, and for a third-party system configurator of WorkflowMax. They did not let the ball drop.

All of the Basis 365 team members are extremely knowledgeable and experienced. I don’t feel like they are just logging transactions. The staff independently thinks on our company's behalf, flags issues early, and proactively offers solutions. They truly understand our business, and this is why I have confidence in them.They have a very good robust process, knowledgeable staff and they pay attention to details, which gave us the confidence to outsource our accounting. I haven’t had any worry about the health, accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of our financial data.

We had some technical issues at the beginning of the project, like how we were going to successfully connect Expensify to the Xero system. I would have liked to have known that beforehand, beforehand, but sometimes experimenting and a little trial and error are necessary, especially as these fairly nascent SaaS platforms evolve.

There’s isn’t anything from the relationship or operations that I’m concerned about. I’m very happy with their work. They offered me as much time as I wanted for weekly consultations regarding the books. I’m the person right now asking for shorter, less frequent meetings because I’m so comfortable with the way they handle things.

At the end of the day, quality is more important than cost because low quality in accounting will cost much more. In the initial biddings, I chose a low-cost provider and definitely ended up getting what I paid for. I had years of headaches as a result.

Don’t be pennywise pound foolish. Don’t undervalue relationships when you’re trusting somebody with your financial health. Choose a service provider that cares about the quality of their work, about you and your business. Make sure they know why you need them – for me the measure of success was time back. I believe clearly communicating that up front was critical. Choose peace of mind!

I've actually recommended them to any small business that works with us.

Financial Tracking & Modeling for Digital Production Studio

"They’re also keen and into technology, so they're constantly looking for new ways to improve their process."

2014 - Ongoing

Basis 365 Accounting started out providing only basic accounting and bookkeeping services. They now also help with financial tracking and financial modeling services and provide a metrics dashboard.

Los Angeles Metro Area, California
Nick Mountford
Managing Director, Active Theory

Basis 365 is adaptable, efficient, forward-thinking, and technology-driven. They have proven cost-effective, contributing the work of an on-site employee and even tidying up the subpar work of past vendors. Their reports are reliable and accurate, and they’ve made collaboration seamless.

I am the managing director of Active Theory. We are a digital production company based in Venice, California. We make web-based experiences such as installations, apps, games, and websites for brands and ad agencies.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

We needed a bookkeeping and accounting service that was familiar with technology and our industry. We wanted one that was using web-based tools like Xero, an online-based accounting software package.

They started off providing bookkeeping and basic accounting services. Their services have changed a little bit over the course of these years. We have also been working with them on financial tracking and financial modeling services. They set up a dashboard for us which allows us to get access to charts to view and predict key metrics for the company. Their service is great. They’re also keen and into technology, so they're constantly looking for new ways to improve their process, and we really appreciate that.

I wanted to use Xero because we had a bad experience with other accounting packages that were out there, and we wanted a web-based solution so that I could access various reports, everything from anywhere. I had read a little bit on Xero and they seemed like they were getting good reviews.

I assumed that any accounting company that used a tech-forward solution like Xero would be relatively forward-thinking themselves. It turns out that Basis 365 is forward-thinking and they do use Xero, so those things worked out. They exposed us to a few other web-based tools that they use for managing their books and clients.

I work with Rhett [Co-Founder, Basis 365], as well as a couple of others like Kristen [Accountant, Basis 365], Elicia [Lead Accountant, Basis 365], and sometimes Mike [Co-Founder, Basis 365]. Kristen is mainly my day-to-day point of contact, and Elicia does the general bookkeeping. If there's anything complex, I'll reach out to Rhett.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

We have read reviews about Xero being great, and we found Basis 365 on a Xero case study. I gave Basis 365 a call and they came up to visit us in Venice.

We had a chat about our business needs. We interviewed 5-6 other solutions, some of them web-based and some of them local accounting services, and we decided to go with Rhett and Mike. Their passion for their work was the most appealing to us, and they seemed like the most switched-on and interested. We're glad we made that choice.

I prefer to keep this confidential.

We've been working together for 3 years, possibly a little bit more

They've eased my personal workload. They generate management reports for us regularly. Prior to using Basis 365, we had a really average accountant which caused us a lot of problems. They went back through all of that work and tidied it all up. They basically do the role of a full-time employee but they do it remotely. They're able to do it really effectively by doing it remotely and managing it online. They don't need to put as many hours in as a full-time employee, so it's more cost-effective for us.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

They're great. They use online project tools to manage their workflow, like Redbooth and FUTRLI. I think a lot of their staff is remote and work at different times, which is fine by us; there’s no negative impact to the way we work.

As soon as I log a question or an issue in Redbooth, they'll get back to me promptly. I think their level of service is great.

It's their absorption and understanding of technology for an accounting and financial services firm. There's a lot of companies out there that claim to be up to speed with technology, but you could tell that these guys really love and enjoy technology, which is a good fit for us.

Not really. If I ever do have feedback, I would just give it straight to Rhett. Everything is going well; it's a good relationship.

Be willing and ready to work with online tools, understanding that they and some of their staff work remotely. Communicate clearly with them and you'll get good service. They helped us throughout the learning process.

They don't insist on using certain technologies; they cater their solutions to their client's needs. We wanted Xero and they offered it. It was a good fit for us. I'm sure they offer other types of solutions as well.

They made all deadlines. They're really good with estimates.
    They're excellent.

Reporting, Tracking, & Payroll for Social Media Digital Agency

"They respond quickly .... they make my life easier."

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

Basis 365 Accounting provides outsourced accounting services, including payroll, invoicing, and bookkeeping. The team also generates management and business reports, suggesting areas for growth and better performance.

Dee Thibodeau
Business Operations Manager, Smarty Social Media

Despite time differences, Basis 365 Accounting delivers timely and accurate material, while keeping budgets and timesheets properly aligned. They have a quick turnaround time, strong communication, and help grow the business. Their quality of work inspires confidence for an ongoing relationship.

Smarty Social Media is a digital agency that creates social content and digital strategies for brands on social media. As the business operations manager, I'm responsible for accounting, HR, and reporting.

What challenge were you trying to address with Basis 365 Accounting?

I believe we were initially looking to outsource some of the work and needed an accountant to work as a silent partner and help grow the business.

Basis 365 handles our payroll, invoicing, and bookkeeping, maintaining corporate compliance. They also process our monthly management reports and quarterly reports of the business around profit margins, income statements, and cash flow. They also provide insight into what they see and make suggestions on what we can do to better perform as a company.

They maintain an alignment with me, making sure my timesheets and budgets are being properly accounted for each campaign so that we can see a much larger picture of what we’re offering clients.

We use their WorkflowMax solution, which helps with time tracking and making sure we can properly input our contractors and internal staffs time against the correct job/campaign. Otherwise, it would be hard to know where each of our hours was being spent.

We work with three of their members—there is an overall account director, a member responsible for statements of work and invoicing, and another member responsible for everything that falls in-between, like time reporting for clients and campaigns, who is also my go-to person for every one-off need.

How did you come to work with Basis 365 Accounting?

I wasn’t here when the group was first approached. I know they initially came onboard as a silent partner helping us behind-the-scenes. Basis 365 was an affordable choice for what we needed at the time.

The monthly fee for their services averages around $1,900.

We started working with Basis 365 in October 2014. As our business continues to grow, I’m sure they will be able to provide the resources we need.

Basis 365’s reporting and suggestions are tremendously helpful. They have helped us stay in compliance and organized as we have grown from one employee to seven, and from five contractors to fifteen.

How did Basis 365 Accounting perform from a project management standpoint?

All our work is done through a system called Redbooth, where we can create tasks and share information as if they were in our office. We have monthly reports to go over the state of the business and have quarterly meeting reviews.

They respond quickly, and we’ve developed a routine by which I know that if I need something, I can ask for it and receive it on time. They also know my routine of sending material.

I like working with their staff. They make my life easier. I can tell them what I’m looking for and they can produce it that day, or even the next morning before I arrive.

I don't think there's anything they could improve in at this time, as we work well together.

The best advice I can give is for clients to understand the paperless industry, specifically how to scan and share documents. It will make their lives so much easier, especially in the case of the older business workforce.

Overall Score They’re professional, accurate and customer service oriented.
    They always deliver, but I have to make requests one day in advance since we’re in different time zones.
    Their customer service and deliverables are always on point and on time.