We want to be the best ad agency in the world.

We want to be the best advertising agency in the world.

It's that simple. And that complicated.

Unfortunately, a company description must have more than 250 characters. So. We are an ad agency located in San Francisco. We are naive and ambitious enough to believe that advertising can change not only brands, but the world.

We are pet-friendly.

San Francisco, CA
  • barrettSF
    250 Sutter St. Suite 200
    San Francisco, CA 94108
    415.986.2960

Rubio's Coastal Grill, 2K Games, Cost Plus World Market, Exchange Bank, Humboldt Redwood, 1,000 Days, goSeek, Campaign Monitor, Omaha Steaks, Bleacher Report, Salesforce, Twilio, glassybaby, Hess Collection, YP.

Creative Concepts for Video Game Company

"Honestly, they’ve been the best agency I’ve worked with, and I’ve worked with a lot of them."

Dec. 2014 - Ongoing

barrettSF creates and manages TV, social media, and digital marketing campaigns, and their work integrates with another PR agency. The team has also spearheaded an expansion into mobile game marketing.

Chris Snyder
VP of Marketing, 2K

Fans enjoy the work. One campaign was listed as the most-remembered commercial by Nielson, and impressions have increased during every year of the engagement. barrettSF stays on schedule and keeps open lines of communication. The team responds well to feedback while fighting for what they believe.

I’m the VP of marketing at 2K, where we make video games.

What challenge were you trying to address with barrettSF?

We basically needed a creative agency of record, someone who could help us get a campaign out the door from soup to nuts, that being TV, online, social, PR components, really everything you would expect to see in a full-on campaign. We needed an agency to help us complete that from concept all the way to fruition.

We had a previous agency, but a lot of our work was being done by the WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.) themselves. So, barrettSF not only had to win us over at 2K, but they had to win over the WWE as well. They didn’t want to relinquish a lot of the creative they were doing for us. It’s been a slow process in doing that, but over the last four years, they’ve been able to really win WWE’s trust in addition to ours.

We really wanted this to be a full-on campaign, including TV, digital, social, and PR. While they’re not a PR agency of record, they work with our PR agency to make sure everything’s cohesive and fits. We really want the message to pull through, so it’s all got to work together. They’ve been great at doing that, and it’s been our number one priority for them. When they deliver creative ideas, the make sure it can extend out into all those different areas, as well as internationally.

They’ve also worked on our mobile product, WWE SuperCard. We’ve gone from doing in-house marketing for that product to really treating it like a full-on, year-long campaign on a mobile game, so that’s been a new experience for us. Working with mobile opportunities is something they really hadn’t touched before. I think that was new for both of us as this game exploded in popularity. We’ve done a total of six campaigns with barrettSF.

How did you come to work with barrettSF?

I wanted an agency that was close to our office in Northern California. We’d been working with a lot of agencies in New York or Los Angeles, and I just wanted somebody in our backyard with whom we could have weekly meetings or something like that. I started researching San Francisco agencies, and they were relatively new at the time. We took a meeting with them and liked what they had to say. They pitched for the business, and their ideas were the best. It’s been smooth sailing ever since.

How much have you invested with barrettSF?

My company will not let me divulge what we pay vendors. They’re pretty clear on that.

We started working together in December of 2014, and our relationship is ongoing.

We’ve won a few marketing awards from the PromaxBDA. We were also the most-remembered commercial in October of this past year from Nielsen. Our impressions have gone up every single year. When we look at message boards, and when we hear from fans, they really enjoy the work. They think we understand them and it’s really connected with them. It’s been great.

How did barrettSF perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re excellent at project management. They really stay on schedule. We have a difficult situation because there are a lot of approvals that work needs to go through, not just on the 2K side, but also on the WWE side. So, they really keep all that in mind, and we get started early and stay on schedule with pretty much everything.

They respond to feedback very well. You also want an agency who is going to fight for something they believe in passionately, and barrettSF does that as well. I like when an agency will believe in something and fight for it, but at the end of the day know that the client needs to have the final say. They’re very respectful of that dynamic.

What did you find most impressive about barrettSF?

We have open lines of communication. I don’t feel like I don’t have to walk on eggshells to deliver feedback or certain news. We’re just truly a team back and forth, so we just cut through all the things that can trip up a client/agency relationship. They’re great with communication, and they’re great with hearing that direct communication.

Are there any areas barrettSF could improve?

No. Honestly, they’ve been the best agency I’ve worked with, and I’ve worked with a lot of them. I think they get the brand and what we’re trying to achieve. They listen, and they work great with my team.

Overall Score I rarely give 5s, but they get as close to a 5 as I can give.
    They take into account the challenges we have with our licensor and work that back into the schedule. They’ve never missed a deadline, so I can’t complain.
    They’re well-compensated, but they also deliver triple-A work.
    They’ve rarely let me down. They’ve gotten me to take some big chances and have always delivered.
    ’ve been a big fan of these guys. I think they can do some amazing stuff. I’d be happy to see them get other big clients. I would definitely recommend them.

Creative Execution for Manufacturing Company

"I think their creativity has upped the game for us."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Oct. 2012 - Ongoing

barrettSF designed an initial TV campaign to boost demand for Redwood lumber. They’ve since expanded the focus across print, radio, and social content.

Santa Rosa, California
Jessica Hewitt
Director of Marketing, Mendocino Forest Products Company

Through barrettSF’s inventive strategies, product trends indicate rising buyer interest and purchase intent, paralleling an increase in sales. The team’s problem-solving abilities, high-quality outputs, and consistent workflow continue to ensure success.

We manufacture building products, primarily lumber, for sale to big-box stores and independent lumber yards. I’m the director of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with barrettSF?

We wanted to drive more sales of redwood, especially for decking. It’s kind of a regional product, and it’s not really available east of the Rockies. The main competitive product is plastic or wood-composite decking, and those companies have huge marketing budgets. We wanted to compete against those folks but with a lot fewer dollars.

We went to barrettSF looking for creative executions to drive demand for redwood decking in the face of fierce competition that is very well-funded. It was a new undertaking. We had talked to other agencies in prior years, but we’d never progressed beyond that. We’ve since added to the engagement, and we no longer focus specifically on redwood decking.

We’ve now shifted to additional products beyond just decking, such as redwood timbers, which are larger pieces of wood that can be used for a shade structure or for a timber-frame home or hotel lodge. Our focus is now less on consumers and more on architects and people like that. We’ve maintained the relationship with barrettSF throughout, but we’ve shifted the focus a bit.

They primarily do creative direction and then production. We’ve produced 2 TV campaigns that were completely different. The first set was the redwood decking, and that was in the winter and spring of 2013. Then, we produced more a year ago. They did both the creative and the production on those. We have a separate media buyer and a PR agency.

TV has been the biggest spend and the most visible, but barrettSF has also done print and radio advertising for us as well. They’ve also produced some social assets for us.

How did you come to work with barrettSF?

One of their co-founders, Jaime, is a personal friend of someone within our organization. At the time of the original conversations, Jaime was with a different agency, and then he formed barrettSF with a couple partners. So, it was a personal connection, but we were aware of his previous work. He was well-known in our area.

How much have you invested with barrettSF?

It’s well over $1 million.

We started working together in October of 2012, and we’re currently in the process of rolling out our most recent campaign.

Our initial campaign with barrettSF has been the most successful. It really did turn the tide on the demand for redwood to the point that we’re actually oversold. We can’t even meet the demand in some cases, so it was very successful.

We did some online market research studies that started before both campaigns aired, and then they trended, so we repeated the same study several times. The trend, over at least 3 years, showed an uptick in interest in redwood and purchase intent. Our sales dollars have gone up as well. It definitely had the right effect and went in the right direction.

The redwood decking campaign rolled out in the spring of 2013. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive. We don’t necessarily get a lot of phone calls from the public because we only sell to businesses. However, the feedback from those partners was very positive. They believe that the campaign really shifted the tide, creating more interest in buying redwood over other products.

How did barrettSF perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re great. We’ve had some great folks there who are very responsive to our needs. If they don’t know the answer to our questions, they find it and get back to us. It’s all been positive. They’re very good with deadlines. We’ve had no issues with that.

What did you find most impressive about barrettSF?

They’re really creative. We give them information about our goals or target audience, and I’m always a bit surprised with their results. Through a collaborative process, they come up with an initiative that’s really cool and unique. I think their creativity has upped the game for us. Lumber and building materials are not the most innovative things in the world. If your creative agency can help it be more innovative or look sexier, then that’s pretty good.

Are there any areas barrettSF could improve?

I can’t think of anything.

Overall Score They provide a lot of value, particularly in the Bay Area, which is very expensive.
    There are times when meetings are pushed back, but it’s not usually a huge deal. For the most part, things are on time.
    All advertising is expensive. We wouldn’t go back to them multiple times if there wasn’t value.
    We’ve been extremely happy with the final outputs. We’ve had great success.
    I would definitely refer them.

Traditional Advertising for Restaurant Chain

"I think barretSF is amazingly creative."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

2013 - Ongoing

barrettSF has helped launch an updated brand and expand its reach throughout the US. Their work has included TV, radio, and in-store merchandising, providing all of the creative work for each outlet.

San Diego, California
Karin Silk
Senior Vice President of Marketing, Rubio's Restaraunts

barrettSF excels at captivating creative and brand voice. The team’s copywriting has been outstanding, and their efforts have helped differentiate the brand from the market. Brand understanding scores have significantly improved. Overall, the team has been solution-oriented and accountable.

Our company is Rubio’s Coastal Grill. We’re a restaurant chain in the fast, casual space, and we serve coastal fares like fish tacos, shrimp burritos, chicken burritos, bowls, and salads in a quick and casual setting. We have over 200 restaurants, primarily located on the West Coast, and we recently opened seven restaurants in Florida. I am the SVP of marketing, so I handle marketing and menu.

What challenge were you trying to address with barrettSF?

We were in the process of rebranding. We had identified that we were going to rename the company from Rubio’s Fresh Mexican Grill to Rubio’s Coastal Grill, accenting our focus on seafood and pulling away from the Chipotle and Baja Fresh image. We were carving out our space in the fast, casual category, and all about seafood. We were looking for a new agency to help us relaunch the brand in our hometown market of San Diego, and then to help us build from there.

We were looking for a heavy focus on TV and radio advertising as well as in-store merchandising. We do a fair amount of digital, but we have a separate agency for that. The work with barrettSF was around brand identity, core advertising method, and external messaging. Their work was concentrated on the marketing message and the marketing look and feel. They did all the creative. We provided a formal assignment brief for new work, and they went from there.

They excel at the ability to catch the creativity and brand voice. The copywriting has been outstanding. We’ve worked with barrettSF on several campaigns over the last few years, all in the same space of traditional media.

How did you come to work with barrettSF?

We did a formal RFP [request for proposal] process to identify a new agency. We decided on barrettSF because they have a lot of creative muscle, and they really excel at their craft. They’re easy to work with, and they seem to get us on a personal level. They’re terrific partners.

How much have you invested with barrettSF?

We’ve invested about $3.5 to $4 million to date.

We started working together in 2013, and the work is ongoing.

We had a very successful rebranding, in large part due to the marketing materials, messaging, and advertising efforts they put in place with us in San Diego. I believe that the work they did captures our effort to differentiate ourselves with the focus on seafood. We’re recognized in our market for that. The brand understanding scores and brand affinity have improved. The traffic into the restaurants has also improved. The creative work was received very well by the company.

How did barrettSF perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re amazing and excellent. They outline strong timelines that are realistic, and they keep to the dates. They stay on top of us, requiring check-ins or calls. They’re always ready with the deliverables and move things along. If there are bumps along the road, they signal early, and those plans need to change, or they’ve run into some challenges. They always come with solutions and ideas. They’re really quick when there are fire drills that come into place. Their account team is terrific. We stick to traditional phone calls and emails for communication.

What did you find most impressive about barrettSF?

I think barretSF is amazingly creative. They’re very strategic, and they’re strong partners.

Are there any areas barrettSF could improve?

I think they’ve built their credentials, and they’re building their business, in traditional advertising. I think that as a client, I need more and more in the way of digital advertising. They’re trying to build strength there, but they don’t yet have core competency.

Overall Score I wish all my agency partners could be as amazing as barretSF is.
    Their account management team is excellent.
    They’re a little on the expensive side, but the work is excellent.
    They’re terrific at their craft. Their work is outstanding early in the process and generally only needs a handful of refinements.