Run with Bad Rhino

Bad Rhino is a full service social media marketing agency located in Philadelphia with clients locally, nationally, and globally.

Because social media is constantly changing, we spend quality time researching your story, your products, and your customers, so that we know exactly how your brand should adapt to the ebb and flow of the online world.

In short, we develop unique, highly customized strategies that create exposure for your business, deliver your message to customers, and take you to the next level.

$10,000

Note School

Bare Essentials

Philadelphia PGA Section

Marketing Consulting for PGA Branch

"Bad Rhino has improved the efficiency of our staff, maximizing our work time and quality."

2014 - Ongoing

Bad Rhino provided consulting services to improve social media management and strategy for a branch of the PGA. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram were the main channels of focus.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Exec. Director, Philadelphia Section PGA

There are now formalized policies for the client's social media strategy across all channels. Their staff is able to work more efficiently and, consequently, produces better content. Bad Rhino is complimented on their ability to easily explain complex concepts.

I am the executive director of the Philadelphia section of The PGA of America. It is one of 41 regional offices, and we act as the main headquarters for our region. We are the local managing office for all PGA members and apprentices in our geographic footprint. We cover Eastern Pennsylvania, Harrisburg East, Trenton, and Southend New Jersey, as well as the entire state of Delaware. We cover all member services, education, communication, employment, and interment operations, as well as a junior tour. Our operations are run by 7 full-time and 16 per-diem staff.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bad Rhino?

We needed to evaluate our communications footprint, including social media, website, technologies, and practices.

Bad Rhino has reviewed our communications, particularly our website and our operations in the social media arena. Bad Rhino explained to us the intricacies of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as everything else we didn't know about this space. There are many measurable metrics on Facebook, as well as many things that we can and can't do in the space. In the fall of 2016, Bad Rhino's principal even served as the key guest speaker at one of our chapter meetings. Bad Rhino has also put us in touch with a very good website developer who we've used to create websites for our professional and junior tours.

How did you come to work with Bad Rhino?

Bad Rhino was recommended by one of our members who had talked with them about their own golfing business. It was an off-chance conversation. We weren't scouring for a social media consultant, but it ended up being advantageous for our company.

How much have you invested with Bad Rhino?

The cost of Bad Rhino's services has been around $10,000.

We have been working with Bad Rhino since the end of 2014. It's been a fantastic relationship to date.

Bad Rhino has improved the efficiency of our staff, maximizing our work time and quality. Bad Rhino has impacted how we manage our social media and communication campaigns. Since we're not selling particular products, we gauge results by how much our outward voice has been elevated on social media channels and on the web. We've cleaned everything up. We now have new policies in place for our actions on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and so on.

How did Bad Rhino perform from a project management standpoint?

We haven't worked on any big projects with Bad Rhino, so it's a bit hard to answer. From a response standpoint, Bad Rhino has been fantastic. They've been immediately responsive in getting me the information and answers I needed.

What did you find most impressive about Bad Rhino?

I've appreciated Bad Rhino's general knowledge and ability to communicate in general languages. Their principal has gotten in front of a group of 60 golf professionals and made them understand the social media space, explaining the advantages and disadvantages of operating in that arena. It would be easy for Bad Rhino to smoke and mirror us with numbers and language, but they've explained how we can be efficient in simple language.

Are there any areas Bad Rhino could improve?

I haven't run into any issues with Bad Rhino.

Overall Score It's been a pleasure working with Bad Rhino's team.
    We didn't have any hard deadline projects, but the responsiveness of Bad Rhino in getting me the information I needed was great.
    I haven't looked at metrics in terms of what our improved efficiency has saved us, but the amount of time and energy that would have taken us to get to this point would have probably exceeded Bad Rhino's price.
    Our work with Bad Rhino has affected our activity in the social media space.
    We've already recommended Bad Rhino to our 80 golf professionals.

Digital Strategy for Breast Cancer Nonprofit

"They are great to work with. I feel like they have a grasp of who we are and the voice that we wanted to use."

Dec. 2015 - Ongoing

Bad Rhino conducted an audit of the client's social media and now works with them to develop content and plan their marketing strategy.

Pocopson, Pennsylvania
Communications Director, Unite for HER

The client has seen a 600 percent increase in Twitter followers and expects a 300 percent increase in Facebook likes by the end of the year. Bad Rhino has captured the tone and messaging that the client wants to portray for their brand effectively.

I am the communications director for Unite for HER, a nonprofit.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bad Rhino?

We had a two-fold issue. We had a lack of knowledge, and we had a lack of manpower, so to speak. We didn't have someone experienced on our staff to develop our social media presence across several platforms fully. In addition, no one had available hours to learn those skills and work on that on a part-time basis.

Initially, Bad Rhino performed a social media audit to evaluate where we were. That was about December 2015. Bad Rhino did background research on Unite for HER and our mission to understand who we are and what we do. Then, they looked at similar organizations and gave us feedback on our strengths and weaknesses. It took about a month to complete the initial audit. At the very beginning of January, they gave a detailed evaluation and a recommendation on how to proceed. I would say the first three months focused on learning.

We then developed a plan to expand our presence within the community and the region. It involved a lot of strategy and evaluating previous content to give us direction on what works organically. We needed to make sure that we were using best practices to communicate clearly, consistently, and effectively. As we've gotten past the initial month, we've gotten into that in a little bit more detail. They also gave recommendations for marketing and branding. We have been much more focused on audiences, messaging, and content. In the past several months, we've started doing special promotions, contests, and things like that. It's evolved very organically and intentionally.

How did you come to work with Bad Rhino?

We are located in the same town as Bad Rhino. They are local, but that wasn't our most important criteria in looking for an agency. We wanted somebody who was a little bit out of the box, had a great reputation, and good references. We wanted to find somebody young, cutting edge, and aggressive. After interviewing a few people, we decided Bad Rhino was the best fit.

How much have you invested with Bad Rhino?

We have spent $10,000 to $50,000 on Bad Rhino's services.

We first started working together in December 2015. Bad Rhino is currently on retainer.

Without spouting out a bunch of numbers at you, our engagement doubled in the first six months of working with Bad Rhino. There are a number of factors that obviously go into that number. Bad Rhino is primarily focusing on Facebook and Twitter, and we've just started working on Instagram. Our Twitter followers have gone up 600 percent or something like that. By the end of the year, our Facebook will have three times the likes and three times the engagement as we were when we started. We're projecting a 300 percent increase by the end of the year.

For me, it's been obviously a very effective relationship if you look at all the metrics. If you look at the number of followers and the engagement, you can definitely tell Bad Rhino has had a significant impact. I feel like our relationship will continue. We're not at the point where I think we would hire someone to take over this job like a staff person.

How did Bad Rhino perform from a project management standpoint?

This has changed a bit as we've grown into the relationship and the work that they've been doing for us. Initially, we were working on a weekly content development basis. In May or June, we switched to monthly scheduling. We would schedule a month of content at a time. As spontaneous things came up that we wanted to add, I would just email them to the account manager.

I would say Bad Rhino has been very easy to work with and very responsive to emails. We usually sit down and either have a conference call or a meeting to go through the monthly metrics report. They are happy to answer a phone call and we meet consistently – monthly at this point. We have Rich [Dematteo, co-owner of Bad Rhino], who is our contact there. We have access to him and he's pretty involved. Also, Taylor [Bechtel, social media specialist at Bad Rhino] manages the account on a day-to-day basis.

What did you find most impressive about Bad Rhino?

They are great to work with. I feel like they have a grasp of who we are and the voice that we wanted to use. We are a breast cancer organization, so the language we use and the tone that we use is very important. It's very sensitive, especially when we're working with patients. Bad Rhino is very cognizant of that and very respectful of that.

Are there any areas Bad Rhino could improve?

Nothing's coming to the top of my mind. That's not to say that they are without the potential to grow or be better, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

They've never missed a deadline.
    We're a nonprofit, and we are always looking to cut back. I don't even know if that's a fair response because it's just based on our lean budget mentality.
    They have accommodated our requests for last-minute posts. They also gave recommendations on building our presence. I would say they have hit all those areas.
    I have nothing to compare it to, but I would feel completely confident recommending them to someone else.

Social Media Marketing for Victory Brewing Co.

"I think that their diligence and their sense of personal and professional investment in the client are very high."

July 2015 - May 2016

Bad Rhino served as a marketing adviser and provided monthly analytics for the client. They also temporarily oversaw all social media marketing while the client filled an employment gap.

Downington, Pennsylvania
Founder, Victory Brewing Company

The client believes Bad Rhino's initiatives were extremely effective and appreciates their diligence. They were personally invested in the client's success and remained flexible as the project scope shifted.

Victory Brewing Company is a 20-year-old brewery and restaurant. We grew out of a single location and now have three breweries and restaurants. We've grown to about 430 employees, and we're currently the 28th largest brewery in production in the United States. Recently, we collaborated with a family office private equity firm that was already invested in breweries. They helped us join another top-notch brewery in the state of New York to form a more capable and stable platform. This platform allows us to address the future that we see in front of us better. As one of the two company founders, I've been involved since the start.

What challenge were you trying to address with Bad Rhino?

We were seeing decreasing impact from our Facebook work up until that point. Brain Bytes had some very specific knowledge about how promoted advertising is important with Facebook, so we pursued that.

Marty [McDonald, CEO and cofounder] and Rich [co-owner of Bad Rhino] came in to do an assessment of what we were achieving with our social media outreach and our platforms. We had a social media position on staff at the time, and she embraced this opportunity to learn more. Then, we brought into that analysis some benchmark peer breweries as well. Bad Rhino provided monthly analytics that we could work on and conducted advisory sessions on a monthly basis.

In December of last year [2015], the relationship changed at my request. At the time, our company was in transition, and there was a gap in marketing that we needed to fill. Our marketing director and our social media coordinator had gotten positions outside of Victory. We felt pretty highly positive about the services of Bad Rhino, so we switched their role. From a contract basis, they shifted to a more hands-on role. They became the behind-the-scenes operator of our social media while continuing their analytical work. We gave Rich and Marty the keys to drive the car for a bit.

Then in February [2016], we hired someone for the position. We worked through the month of May to make sure we had a seamless turnover. While we were training our new hire, Bad Rhino performed an advisory role similar to what they had been providing up until that point.

How did you come to work with Bad Rhino?

In April 2014, I went to a Pennsylvania Restaurant and Lodging Association meeting. My marketing director and another employee went with me. We were on a panel with Marty McDonald of Bad Rhino. Some of the expertise and knowledge that they had, particularly of how Facebook works, was very compelling for us. That's why we asked them to work for us on an analytical basis.

How much have you invested with Bad Rhino?

We've spent $50,000 to $200,000 on our engagement with Bad Rhino. Based on the contract, we were investing $5,750 a month. Of that amount, $400 was at their disposal as advertising budget for Facebook. We paid $5,350 a month for the majority of the relationship.

If I'm not mistaken, the relationship with Bad Rhino began in July or August of 2015. Our contracted relationship was finished by the end of May [2016]. We had rebuilt the department in a manner that we felt didn't need outside services. But, we've stayed in contact, and we might go back to using their services.

We saw steady increases that were measurable and specific to the initiatives that we undertook with Bad Rhino. I think that they were extremely effective in what they were doing. I do believe that, with the limited team they have, they got incredible results. They were able to focus on identifying the goal and how to get there.

How did Bad Rhino perform from a project management standpoint?

There were probably some deficiencies on our end, if you look at the turnover we experienced in staffing. Bad Rhino was very diligent about trying to schedule and communicate on a consistent basis. On our end, we weren't always able to fulfill those requests. There was never a sense of futility in that we can't get ourselves together. We always got ourselves together as needed.

What did you find most impressive about Bad Rhino?

This is a gray area, but I think it's important from my 20 years of business experience. I felt that Bad Rhino came to the assignments and solutions without a strong sense of ego or ownership. They seemed to be very good listeners and problem solvers. There were really no situations where I felt that they were doing things to glorify themselves. I felt that they were very objective in their approach and everything was well considered. I think that their diligence and their sense of personal and professional investment in the client are very high.

The other thing that I would point out was their adaptability. When we needed to change contracts and change services, it was not a debate. It was just a matter of, "Focus in on what it is you need, and we'll do that." I think that their adaptability is a key factor in their favor.

Are there any areas Bad Rhino could improve?

Yes. The monthly reporting was supposed to give us a pulse on our effectiveness from the previous month. That report was not arriving on a regular date. It often arrived at the end of the succeeding month, so I felt that the reporting was lagging. It could have been timelier.

I felt that the timeliness of the monthly reports could have been better, but I certainly can't mark them down too much because we didn't set a time schedule on that reporting.
    I think the value was very strong. The entrepreneur in me would always like to see high quality at lower pricing but, in terms of what I received, I feel like they earned a 4 for sure.
    If they had more experience with other firms, I might be able to give them 5 out of 5.
    I have referred them to other people.

Social Media Marketing for Real Estate Firm

"They're fun guys, they're straightforward and, most importantly, they [Bad Rhino] get results."

Feb. 2015 - Ongoing

Based on a referral, the client hired Bad Rhino to provide social media marketing services with the goal of increasing their leads and revenue from leads.

Pennsylvania, USA
Agent, Real Estate Firm

Bad Rhino presented a plan at the beginning and then successfully executed according to that plan. The client praises the agency for their high-quality work, broad knowledge of social media, and insightful feedback.

Please describe your company.

I work for a real estate company in Pennsylvania, and we serve several counties in the local area.

What is your role in your company?

I am a REALTOR.

What was your goal in working with Bad Rhino?

We needed to create a simple way to connect to all the social media outlets, and I didn't have the time to do it myself. I also don't know about scheduling the posts, what the best time is to put them out, what's working, what's not working and the analytics behind everything. I needed to know what was working in order to allocate some of our advertising dollars on a post that's doing well, to boost that post, reach more people and, ultimately, create revenue for myself in leads.

They provide social media marketing services for us.

What was your process in selecting Bad Rhino?

I got them through a referral. I've known one of the owners for a few years now – actually before he was involved with Bad Rhino. It was not a difficult decision for me because I knew their background and had seen what they had done from their inception to now. It really helped to see how the company was growing and where they were headed. I was also connected through social media with some of the other companies that they were helping, and I could see where they had started and where they were headed.

Can you give a sense of the dollar size of the initiative?

I'm spending about $650 a month with Bad Rhino. I got a big discount because of my relationship with them.

When did you start working with them, and is the relationship ongoing?

We just started about four months ago, and we are continuing to work together.

Do you have any statistics or metrics related to their work?

I'm happy with their work, mostly because everything was laid out at the beginning. I'm new in the real estate business, so we both started out together. They laid out a specific plan on what to expect. For Facebook, for instance, they gave me a specific number of likes I'd have after one month, two months, and three months. So far, all of that has happened as we ramp up to where we ultimately want to be. They also work on content, coach me on what works and they're even finding some content for me that's not just real estate related. They're using their skills to help me get my name out there.

I've been thrilled with what they're doing so far. They're very good about providing feedback. I get a quarterly report of where we are, where we're headed, increases in likes, total reach of people who have seen our posts and that kind of thing. So, everything is going great.

Is there anything unique or special about Bad Rhino that really makes them stand out?

What really stands out is their knowledge of all the different types of social media, how they interconnect, what works, and what doesn't. Most importantly for me, as a busy person, is that the ease of communication and ease of use have been fantastic.

Not yet, and I hope there's not. They've pretty much done exactly what they said they were going to do, and produced the results that they said they were going to produce. That's hard to find nowadays, and I'm very happy with Bad Rhino.

What advice would you give a future client of theirs?

I would definitely say to use them. They're fun guys, they're straightforward and, most importantly, they get results. If you're results driven, and you like to look at numbers, and you like to increase your reach, they would be the guys.

I've been doing that already.

Social Media Marketing for Fitness Center

"They're very easy to work with. We just send an email or a text, and they're right on top of it."

2014 - Ongoing

The client hired Bad Rhino for social media marketing with the goals of encouraging greater social media engagement and increasing their numbers of likes and followers.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Membership Director, Club La Maison

Bad Rhino’s role in the partnership dramatically increased the client’s Facebook likes and Twitter followers. The client praises the agency for their autonomy, responsiveness, and communication, and highly recommends them to others.

Please describe your company.

We're a full service health club in Wayne, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I'm the sales and marketing director.

What was your goal in working with Bad Rhino?

We wanted to update our social media, grow our page, grow our likes, and try to get more interaction on our Facebook page and on Twitter.

They've worked for us exclusively on social media marketing.

What was your process in selecting Bad Rhino with which to work?

One of their owners is a member here. I got on his email list at some point, so we connected that way.

Can you provide a ballpark dollar figure for the size of the work that they've done for you?

We pay them $650 a month.

When did you start working with them, and is the relationship ongoing?

We first started working together in 2014.

Do you have any statistics, metrics, or general feedback to show the success of their work?

They're very easy to work with. We just send an email or a text, and they're right on top of it. Everything that I needed done immediately, they did, and they scheduled posts for the week. Once a month, they'd ask us what we wanted to push, or if there was anything in particular that was important to us. We'd email that to them and, from there, they devised a schedule. Our Facebook page went from a little less than 800 to about 2,200 likes. Our Twitter followers were practically nonexistent, and now we have just shy of 2,000.

Is there anything unique about Bad Rhino that really makes them stand out compared to other companies?

Everything is very laid back. Nothing is high pressure. They're always reaching out to us to check on how we're doing and making sure things are working out for us. They come in personally, so it's not always just a phone call or email. I really like the scheduled posts, so we know something's getting posted at least once a day. I don't have to think about it. As soon as someone makes a comment, they're right there to respond immediately.

No. I don't think we gave them enough information to work with at the start, but that's not their issue.

What advice would you give a future client of theirs?

Even though they're going to handle everything, you do have to work with them to be sure they're on the right track. They're not at your business, so they can't take pictures. You have to make sure you have people to do that.

Social Media Marketing Yoga Studio

"They [Bad Rhino] really get to know your business. Their account lead actually visits our studio every couple of months to see what’s new, and keep in touch with the pulse of our business."

The client is Aim High Yoga, a group fitness studio located outside of Philadelphia. The client felt they were spending too much time on their social media operations and were looking to outsource the work to a vendor with more experience. The client's relationship with Bad Rhino began in the fall of 2013.

Norristown, PA
Co-owner, Aim High Yoga

The client is very satisfied with the work produced by Bad Rhino. The client reports that their social media operations have grown substantially in relation to other aspects of their business. Speaking to the quality of Bad Rhino's work, the client expressed appreciation for the way Bad Rhino took the time to get to know their business, even making several trips to the studio. Bad Rhino is highly recommended to others.

Please provide a description of your company.

The company is Aim High Studios. We're a group fitness studio located outside of Philadelphia. We offer classes in yoga, spin, and barre.

What are your role and responsibilities?

My wife founded the studio in 2011. I help her out with various operational aspects.

What was your goal in working with Bad Rhino?

The time my wife was spending managing the studio's social media accounts was really a drain on other aspects of the business. She was looking to bring in some outside help so she didn't have to worry about it.

Bad Rhino handles all of the social media marketing for us. My wife still has some involvement with the media, but they provide about 95 percent of the content. They also handle the studio’s reputation management. Bad Rhino responds to any requests on social media, mainly working through Facebook, Twitter and, to a lesser extent, Instagram. They post a couple times a day to Facebook.

What was your process for selecting Bad Rhino with which to work?

She was introduced to them through a mutual friend who, I believe, was a client of Bad Rhino’s.

Can you provide a ballpark dollar figure for the size of the work that they’ve done for the studio?

We pay a monthly fee of $700 to Bad Rhino.

What was the timeline of the project?

My wife hired them about a year and a half ago, and the work is ongoing.

Do you have any statistics, metrics, or general feedback to show the success of the project?

One thing my wife wanted to do was create exposure for the studio. That included a lot of content interaction, and then gaining likes on the site. Bad Rhino has done a great job. Aim High Studios now has close to 2,200 likes from a start of maybe 1,500. So, they’ve increased the studio’s visibility. The social media business has grown a lot during the past year and a half relative to everything else.

They really get to know your business. Their account lead actually visits our studio every couple of months to see what’s new, and keep in touch with the pulse of our business. That’s what sets them apart.

I think that with any social media company, they’re not going to know the business as well as the owner, so the owner still needs to be involved. So, my only advice would be that they never take more than 100 percent of the social media work.

What advice would you give a future client of theirs?

They’re very upfront with everything. They don’t oversell themselves, and my wife likes that about them.

Social Media Marketing for Apparel Company

"I feel very comfortable handing our whole Web presence and existence to them [Bad Rhino]."

Apr. 2014 - Ongoing

Bad Rhino provides email campaign, web development, and social media marketing services for the client, whose goal is to generate more online traffic and build their brand.

Philadelphia Metro Area
Adviser, Blind Squirrel

Bad Rhino’s contributions led to increased web traffic and better sales for the client, achieving the set objectives and pleasing the client. The agency is praised for their attentiveness and the client is happy to recommend Bad Rhino to others.

Please describe your work.

I’m an external adviser to a three-year old company called Blind Squirrel Apparel, out of Pottstown, Pennsylvania. They are a Web provider for imprinted apparel. The company is very small. There’s one principal and one employee.

What are your role and responsibilities?

I come from the apparel business, so those are the issues I advise them on.

What was your goal in working with Bad Rhino?

We hired them to generate more traffic to our website and to help build the brand through social media.

Bad Rhino does all our email campaigning and handles all our social media. They’re active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and a couple of others daily. We also have affiliation with some radio personalities, and so they help encourage those personalities to tweet, tying it all together.

Bad Rhino has also helped with our Web development and has been a liaison with our Web developer, with whom they have a very good relationship. As we’re getting the metrics out of the Web designer, we work with Bad Rhino on areas we want to penetrate and areas we feel that we’re not getting enough traffic. We tie everything together through Bad Rhino. They’re really responsible for executing all of this.

What was your process in selecting Bad Rhino with which to work?

The owner of the company was talking to a Web designer about frustrations he had with a previous company, and they then recommended Bad Rhino.

We have Bad Rhino on a retainer of $8,600 a month.

When did you start working with them, and are you still currently working with them?

The relationship started around April 2014, and we are still working with them.

Do you have any statistics, metrics, or general feedback about their work?

We’ve seen traffic go up, so it’s been a very good relationship. The owner of the company is very happy with their performance to date. Our sales have certainly spiked. In the last two months, we have exceeded our sales for all of 2014. So, as for value, I think we are getting what we need from them. We may be paying more than other providers, but we’re getting our value out of what we pay them.

I feel very comfortable handing our whole Web presence and existence to them. Every Thursday morning I have breakfast with the owner of Bad Rhino and get updated on what’s going on. They’re very good at getting back to us, and they’re very attentive. We have outsourced all of our MIS/IT [management information system/information technology] type needs to them, and they’ve been very good.

No. I don’t think so.