A Creative Digital Agency & web design company in New York City that partners with brands, agencies and start-ups to create engaging experiences. From strategy and consulting to design and development, we're more than just an agency. We're your next digital partner.

Some of our specialties: custom websites, e-commerce, SEO/SEM, UI & UX design, responsive design, content marketing, customized WordPress themes, Shopify & Tumblr themes, iOS development, branding and rich media campaigns.

Our office is located in the Soho West WeWork building on Varick Street in NYC. It is a great environment for collaborating with other designers and developers, which is exactly what we love to do and what allows us to excel.

Founded:
  • Google
  • Stony Brook University
  • USA Network
Certifications:

WordPress, HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, Magento, Shopify, Adobe Creative Cloud.

Detailed description:

A Creative Digital Agency in New York City that partners with brands, agencies and start-ups to create engaging experiences. From strategy and consulting to design and development, we're more than just an agency. We're your next digital partner.

Avex is creative digital agency in New York city, specializing in web design and development. Founded in 2013, Avex was born by the desire to create beautiful and immersive digital experiences for brands and businesses of all sizes. Small by design, Avex can quickly scale up depending on the size and needs of your project. Some of our specialties include: web design, e-commerce, SEO, SEM, UX design, responsive design, custom WordPress themes, social media management, mobile app design, branding and rich media campaigns.

New York Freelance Web Designer & founder, John Surdakowski, has been creating websites and mobile applications for start-ups, small businesses and advertising agencies for over a decade. Over the years John has held various positions at some major companies, but in 2010 he decided to start consulting on his own. During that time Avex has had the opportunity to work with some really great brands and companies, including: Google, USANetwork, HBO, PONY, UBISoft, Sony Music, Bank of America, Cantor Fitzgerald, JWT, Havas, Estee Lauder, Nickelodeon and many other companies in New York and world wide.

Industry focus

Client focus

Reviews of Avex Designs

WordPress Implementation & Data Migration for Shipping & Packaging Company

Web development

Avex Designs was first approached to support the transition from Drupal to WordPress. The successful migration led to further strategic, design, and development.

Notable aspects included the direct involvement of senior leadership as well as an impressive and meticulous approach to visual design.

"Avex Designs performed well in terms of schedule and budget, probably because of how involved their executive leadership was."

New Product Development Manager

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

We're a design and production company. We have done a lot of work for the spirits and cosmetics industries, including packaging and product design. I am the new Product Development Manager. There is a bridge between my position and our marketing department, which is why I was involved in our website development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We feature a lot of portfolio work on our site. We wanted to redesign it using the WordPress platform. Previously, we had a Drupal website. We create blogs and newsletters. Drupal isn't ideal for this purpose in terms of being user-friendly. It also seemed a bit outdated compared to WordPress, so we decided to use that platform instead. We couldn't handle the transition to WordPress alone so we decided to go contract a supplier to help us.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We knew exactly what we wanted in terms of content, but as far as the layout design, we had a team effort with Avex Designs. They worked closely with our company in order to achieve the perfect solution.

We expanded Avex Designs' involvement to our newsletter design, as well as creating an FTP on which our clients could upload files.

I worked directly with Avex Designs' principal and also spoke to his associate. I also met Avex Designs in person.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

Our Chief Executive Officer found Avex Designs, choosing them out of a number of companies.

The total cost of Avex Designs' services was around $20,000.

We started working with Avex Designs last year. The work took one month to complete. I contact Avex Designs for any code-related changes to the website and we also talk about other things our company may need, but nothing significant.

Our site has won an award, which was wonderful for us. It is a very nice, user-friendly page from a frontend aspect. Most people can edit the site easily, and our clients have been able to upload files to it, so it has been a good solution for us.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

Avex Designs performed well in terms of schedule and budget, probably because of how involved their executive leadership was. We used Google Drive for communication, as well as Basecamp, which is a platform used by Avex Designs internally. It was a good solution in terms of confidentiality, requiring logins for access. We used Avex Designs' paid account during the project.

What distinguishes Avex Designs from other providers?

Avex Designs' principal is very direct and specific, so working with him is easy. We had very few revision needs.

Different companies have different styles of working, but I think that Avex Designs can adapt to this.

Is there anything Avex Designs could have improved or done differently?

Not particularly. With a project like ours, it's better to have fewer people involved on the client's end, than more. People want different things, so it can become confusing. It's nice to only have one person working on the project.

COST: 5
Avex Designs is more on the expensive end, but we knew that when making our decision.
SCHEDULING: 5
There has been very slight tardiness on Avex Designs' side.
WILLING TO REFER: 5
I haven't recommended Avex Designs yet, given that many of our colleagues already have websites. If I came across someone needing a corporate site, I would recommend Avex Designs.

Site Redevelopment & Video Production for Entertainment Startup

Web development

This engagement began with the redevelopment of an old site and then transitioned into further design and customization work.

Avex Designs was recognized for their ability to propose exceptional designs with very limited guidance or previous knowledge of the industry.

"I don't have design skills, so I appreciated that Avex Designs was able to take my ideas and put graphics and images behind them with good interpretation."

VP of Client Services at ArtVision

Average: 4.5 (1 vote)

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

We develop project management software for performing arts organization. I'm the vice president of client services.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We needed to update our website. It was easier to have someone else do it than to spend the time doing it ourselves. We wanted to make sure that potential clients could get as much information about our various functionalities before contacting us. Given that we focus exclusively on performing arts, we operate within a niche market, so we wanted to make sure that we accurately represented the activity of our client organizations at the same time projecting a modern appearance.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Avex Designs redeveloped our company website in its entirety. I specced out what I wanted for each page. Our old site had limited information, so I started a complete build out for a much more robust version.

One year later, we also engaged Avex Designs for creating a marketing video for us. I wrote the script for it, Avex Designs reviewed it and made some comments regarding timing, after which they handled the production.

I communicated with Avex Designs's principal [John Surdakowski, the Founder and Creative Director] and one other person, but there may have been more resources working on our project that I didn't know about.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

One of my friends is the art director of a university. I had made a Facebook post asking for recommendations, to which he and a couple of other people replied. I spoke with a few agencies and liked the work from Avex Designs's portfolio. I decided to work with them.

The total cost of Avex Designs's services, including our website development, marketing videos, and other work, was between $10,000 and $20,000.

The website development started in 2014, and it was estimated to have a two-to-three-month duration, but it took three to four months. Our video took six weeks to produce, and it was done in 2015.

The timeline was delayed a bit because of my work schedule. I couldn't submit decisions to Avex Designs as fast as I'd have wanted.

When searching Google for general terms related to our activity, we pop-up first. I can't necessarily say that Avex Designs's work increased our traffic, given that we're in a fortunate position and don't have to seek out new business. I don't keep precise metrics, but it's very comforting to know that a well-designed site is the first thing our clients go to in general searches.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

Avex Designs delivered well in terms of time and budget. We used Basecamp for collaboration. It's functional, but I don't really like it. I think that it's used by Avex Designs for most of their projects.

I wanted my budget to remain constant, so Avex Designs gave me some options during negotiations.

What distinguishes Avex Designs from other providers?

I've had limited work with other web designers. I don't have design skills, so I appreciated that Avex Designs was able to take my ideas and put graphics and images behind them with good interpretation.

Is there anything Avex Designs could have improved or done differently?

No. Overall, I was happy with Avex Designs. This may not have been the most complex project that Avex Designs was approached for, but they did exactly what we asked for.

In general, it's important that a client have a good understanding of what they want their end result to be and provide as much information as possible. Avex Designs is adept at taking that information and turning into a good result.

OVERALL SCORE: 5
Avex Designs has been very easy to communicate with and eager to submit a well-done result.
QUALITY: 4.5
Some images chosen for the site required more back and forth with Avex Designs than I'd have wanted.
COST: 5
I'm very happy with the return on investment.
SCHEDULING: 5
Most of the delays were on my side.
WILLING TO REFER: 5
I'd recommend Avex Designs based on what the person was looking for.
Jeff Mitchell

Site Redevelopment for Staffing Company

Web development

Avex Designs was first approached to overhaul a rapidly aging website, which required improving the visual design, user experience, and workflow. Their performance led to further dev and design work.

Core strengths include timeliness, responsiveness, and a thoughtful approach to user experience design.

"I appreciated Avex Designs's timeliness and responsiveness. I always received email responses right away. Avex Designs also has great attention to detail."

Founder & CEO

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

We are a staffing company, recruiting both temporary and direct hires for various practice areas, including office support, accounting, legal, IT [information technology], healthcare, and HR. I'm a co-owner of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

Our last website had been built five years ago and became antiquated, users were running into issues and we were really in need of a visual upgrade. We didn't have the skills to revamp the site on our own so we decided to hire an external supplier.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Avex Designs designed our new website. They have worked well with us, reworking designs until they were phenomenal. Our new site will be more functional than the old one.

Avex Designs was instrumental in giving us advice on what we should be doing, suggesting that we add a blog, for example, even though we initially thought that we didn't need one. We don't have website design experience, so Avex Designs's input was important for improving our job search feature and having a more interactive experience in general.

The experience has been seamless, so I don't know how many people have worked on our project. Avex Designs had a team leader, but we mostly interacted with their principal [founder and creative director John Surdakowski].

We requested a content writer to review the material we were putting together. Avex Designs found a writer for us.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

We had been working with a consultant whose job was to line up website developers, one of which was Avex Designs. We interviewed a slew of people. The meeting with Avex Designs went heads and tails better than any of the others. Their level of professionalism and detail were amazing, so we decided to choose Avex Designs.

The total development cost for our website was $15,000.

Our website is scheduled to launch on July 11, 2016. We're now working on finishing touches and plan to use Avex Designs for ongoing support.

We're a part of the American Staffing Association. We go to conventions every year and have seen many websites, given that this is a big part of our industry. Avex Designs did as good a job as anyone we could have picked. We also work with some very picky, discriminating partners. When we sent the site to them, the overwhelming feedback was that it looked gorgeous and had a 21st-century look, which is what we wanted to hear. They would have been very quick to criticize.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

Avex Designs did everything that we asked for, with a smile. I held up the project a bit because of a medical problem, but Avex Designs has been patient with us in getting the material on a timely basis. I always felt that we were important to Avex Designs, unlike with other developers we used. We were kept in touch through daily updates using Basecamp, and I could email Avex Designs' principal directly.

My partner and I aren't very tech-savvy, so it was often easiest to email Avex Designs's principal and maintain communication like this. He was very patient with us.

What distinguishes Avex Designs from other providers?

I appreciated Avex Designs's timeliness and responsiveness. I always received email responses right away. Avex Designs also has great attention to detail. They listen to us and always have a smile on their faces. We couldn't ask for more than this.

Is there anything Avex Designs could have improved or done differently?

No. In fact, when we lagged time-wise, Avex Designs sent us an email about the next steps to take.

QUALITY: 5
Judging by competitors' websites, Avex Designs's work was superior.
COST: 5
We have friends whose site is only so-so in our eyes, yet they spent $40,000 on the work.
SCHEDULING: 5
Avex Designs is better in this respect than us.
WILLING TO REFER: 5
We have recommended them.

Front-end Development & Integration for Media Production Company

Web development

This engagement began with the development of the original client site, which years later required an upgrade and redesign. Avex was recontracted and continues to serve as a long-term partner.

Attention to detail and solid technical skills were both cited as major competitive advantages, especially when weighed against the resources invested.

"The functionality and quality I've received from Avex Designs are just phenomenal, compared to the rates that they charge. The attention to detail on Avex Designs's work has stood out to me."

Founder & CEO

Average: 5 (1 vote)

This is a film and video production company. We also provide audio recording and engineering. Our company has been in business for eight years.

I am the founder of the company. I have been a professional producer for 12 years.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We needed a clean, cutting-edge, slick website that demonstrated our brand.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Avex Designs created a website quickly for us, taking our brand to the next level in terms of having a website that focused on content and showcased us truthfully, in an exciting, flashy way. The original website for our company was also designed by Avex Designs. We went to them directly for the redesign.

Avex Designs enabled video integration for our work. They embedded a virtual tour of our studios as well. Avex Designs provided some general graphics and design elements for the work we've done. We've hired them for an animation project in which Avex Designs created characters and, with the help of one of our animators, those characters were brought to life using Adobe After Effects for a corporate video.

I also hired Avex Designs to work on my father's website, who has his own production company, juliusnasso.com. Avex Designs did a phenomenal job of creating that site. Two or three developers and designers were assigned to us from Avex Designs. We collaborated with them directly.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

I looked up a number of graphic design companies. A friend referred me to Avex Designs.

The total cost of Avex Designs's services has been at least $7,500. We've worked on a number of projects through the years.

We've been working with Avex Designs since 2008 when our business was launched. The redesigned version of the site is currently live as well as the site created for my father's business.

Avex Designs provides a service that competes with the best and biggest design companies out there. A client can end up spending a lot of money with the bigger, name-brand providers. Avex Designs has a boutique operation that allows them to cater directly to my needs, offer me the requested work quickly and at the highest level of quality, comparable to the biggest designers on the market. Avex Designs is cutting edge in terms of figuring out not just what is trendy at the moment, but what will last a long time. They always want to make sure that the brand is fresh, modern, up to date, and it truly represents what a company is offering. Avex Designs provides a service that competes with some of the best products out there, visually and functionality-wise.

I initially a simple splash page for my company. I hired Avex Designs for a redesign for which they did a great job. I received a lot of business from that website.

Our current website is great. We plan a new redesign soon in order to make the site a bit more mobile-friendly. Avex Designs brought this issue to my attention, and it makes perfect sense. It has been a great website during the last two to three years, but we're ready for an upgrade. Avex Designs always wants the products that they make to be fresh and modern in terms of technology. It will be the second time I'd hired Avex Designs for work on my company's website.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

There have been no major delays or defects for the work done by Avex Designs.

What distinguishes Avex Designs from other providers?

The functionality and quality I've received from Avex Designs are just phenomenal, compared to the rates that they charge. The attention to detail on Avex Designs's work has stood out to me, even though I visit media websites every day. I cannot say enough good things about them.

COOP For A Better World

Responsive website and dashboard for COOP.

PONY Sneakers

Pony is an American brand of footwear and other clothing, founded in 1972 on Madison Avenue in New York. Avex worked with PONY and their parent company, Iconix Brand Group, to design and development a new digital conversion platform, in the form of a Magento E-Commerce Website.

Iconix Brand Group

Iconix Brand Group (ICON) is the world’s premier brand management company and owner of a diversified portfolio of strong global consumer brands across fashion, sports, entertainment and home

KITH

Avex partnered with KITH to design their all new eCommerce website, powered by Shopify. The website was completely re-designed from the group up. Avex provided creative direction, mockups, guidelines and mobile design direction for the new website.