Creative Digital Agency in New York City

WE EMPOWER BRANDS WITH THE TOOLS TO TELL THEIR STORY AND DRIVE BUSINESS GROWTH.

As a top rated NYC web design company, we provide a strategic approach to building e-commerce solutions, creative content & digital marketing campaigns. Avex will work with your team to create an engaging user-experience for your customers and a backend system that empowers you to scale your business. Once your new website is live, our growth optimization specialists will focus on enhancing the overall user-experience and launching a digital marketing campaign, in-order to increase conversions and drive growth.

Avex specializes in creating intuitive and elegant e-commerce solutions, powered by Shopify Plus. Over the years, we’ve partnered with brands such as KITH, Eugenia Kim, Marchesa, Badgley Mishka, Reem Acra, Pony Sneakers and Enlightened, to create stunning e-commerce websites and apps.

We’re not just a web design company. We’re a full service digital agency, providing a complete solution to help grow your brand.

New York, NY

• Eugenia Kim
  • Danone
  • Shutterstock
  • Iconix Brand Group
  • Beyond Better Foods (Enlightened)
  • Cantor Fitzgerald
  • Starter
  • Pony Sneakers
  • Google
  • Stony Brook University
  • USA Network

REIGN

E-commerce solution for REIGN built on Shopify. We also work with the brand regularly on digital marketimg, email marketing and social media.

ONS Clothing

Responsive e-commerce website and mobile experience, for menswear brand, ONS Clothing. The website was built on both Wordpress and Shopify.

Eugenia Kim

Avex partnered with Eugenia Kim to create a new Shopify store. The brand has seen a 257% increase in sales and a jump in conversions.

KITH

Avex partnered with KITH to design their all new eCommerce website & mobile experience, powered by Shopify Plus. Avex provided creative direction, mockups, guidelines and mobile design direction for the new website as well as the mobile app.

Website Design for Cotton Distributor and Retailer

"Their team is insightful, open to direction, and responsive to a solution-based approach."

Feb. - Aug. 2017

Avex Designs designed a website and created social media accounts. They now manage those accounts and provide ongoing site maintenance.

USA
Tobias Levine
Co-Founder and Partner, stateline.us

Sales from the website created a new revenue stream and led to Avex's engagement for additional responsibilities. They leverage project management tools successfully and mold their communication methods to fit the situation’s needs. They always provide personal service, regardless of project size.

I’m a co-founder and partner at stateline.us. We’re a B2B and direct to consumer company that supplies heavy weight cotton for fleece and jersey apparel made in the U.S.

For what projects/services did your company hire Avex Designs?

We needed a retail site that was aligned with our branding and aesthetic—and we needed it quickly.

We wanted to launch a site that allowed our brand to express our company’s message. We also wanted customers to be able to enjoy our website on all devices.

I found them through word of mouth and reading reviews on message boards.

Avex provided several options to fit our brand’s specific look and need. Because that went well, we also contracted them to provide post-launch web and social media setup and support.

We met with four Avex employees, including the owner, several times throughout the project.

This site was a new venture and created a direct-to-consumer retail stream, when, before, we were only B2B. Everything they did had a positive effect on our bottom line.

Their project management was impressive and there were few issues throughout the build. Their solution-based team is insightful, open to direction, and responsive.

Avex created and managed our Trello boards and used Basecamp well to keep everyone on task. Since this was a new sales stream for us, they also offered to hold face-to-face meetings, which was very helpful.

The owner took a hands-on approach to our project and gave us all the attention and time we needed. We knew that our project was small compared to the rest of their clients, but they treated us with white glove service. We also needed a lot of attention in the initial design and feel of the site, and Avex was a great partner, offering multiple versions that were spot on.

There’s nothing that relates back to work they’ve done for us. They’re a fantastic firm.

They're always available.
    I paid for good work.
    They're timely and clean.

Web Design for New York Jewelry Firm

“Their level of professionalism is quite high. I liked the way they approached the whole project.”

Mar. 2018 - June 2018

Avex Designs helped with the early stages of a website launch for a direct-to-consumer jewelry line. They created mood boards and held focus groups to hone the target audience and demographics for the product.

Martha Berry
President, Berry Jewelry

Though the process was paused to focus on other initiatives, Avex Designs will return when it resumes. They were always accommodating and transparent about cost. They were alert to scope changes that would affect the budget.

We design, create, and manufacture fashion jewelry for large stores. I am the company founder and owner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We’re starting a direct-to-consumer line and Avex was helping us launch a website for those products.

So far, we’ve completed the early stages. We know a lot about the creative side but needed help with the technical aspects. They put together mood boards and we worked together to hone our target demographics, age groups, product costs, and retail values. They helped us narrow the target audience through focus groups with different companies, which was a helpful learning experience.

We worked directly with John (Founder, Avex Designs) and an assistant. There were other people on the team, but we were in direct contact with those two. We’ll work more with the technical team when we move into the next phase.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

I went online and looked for top firms in New York. I interviewed five or six, but Avex Designs were very accessible and had similar aesthetics to mine. I liked that John was hands-on and involved. They felt like the right size and fit for us.

We’ve spent less than $20,000 so far.

We worked together between March–June 2018. The project is currently on hold but we hope to start again in 2019.

I'm very pleased with the work they've done. When we start the project up again, we’ll continue working together.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re excellent. They use Basecamp and it was easy for us to get weekly updates.

Their level of professionalism is quite high. I liked the way they approached the whole project. They told us everything they would cover and gave us a comprehensive price breakdown and quote. They promised that we would never be surprised by new charges and were very clear about what would cost more if we chose to move outside of the original scope. They helped keep us within our budget, guided us, and treated us as if we were their own company.

There are always kinks to work out at the beginning, but I can’t think of anything they should improve. I asked for more context and feedback at the beginning and they were very quick to accommodate us.

Have clarity around your projects. It will help you get on the same page and avoid difficulties.

Overall Score I've had no problems working with them.

Custom Landing Page for Indian Designer Rental Boutique

“It turned out even better than I envisioned.”

Apr. – May 2018

Avex Designs created a landing page and developed its design incorporating its owner’s photos, content, and color scheme. They also incorporated MailChimp into the page to collect customer email addresses.

Dhara Suvarnakar
Founder, Apni Almari

Avex Designs successfully fashioned a landing page that perfectly suits its owner. Family and friends love its polish and alignment to the business it represents. The team delivers a collaborative creative process that assures high-quality results. They offer dependable services at affordable rates.

I’m the founder of Apni Almari. We’re similar to Rent the Runway but we offer ethnic Indian wear. It’s an online platform where people can rent Indian designer clothing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

I needed someone to create a custom-coded landing page for my online platform.

I gave them a few pictures, content, and the aesthetic I was looking for, and they developed a draft. They based the color scheme off of the photos and my Instagram and Facebook profiles. After a few revisions, they created the landing page. They also set up the site to collect emails for a newsletter configuration using MailChimp.

I was mostly in touch with their founder/creative director. There were two other web designers involved.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

I researched a lot online to see who had done other landing pages. I checked their page and their portfolio, and I liked their work. Their aesthetic was clean and well aligned with the look I was going for. They were responsive and their price was within my budget.

I spent $500.

We worked together from April–May 2018.

My close family and friends love the look; they say it’s clean, professional, and fits my aesthetics. They designed the feminine and luxurious appearance I was looking for.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

He said it would take about a month, and they delivered on time. I didn’t have to keep following up. They were always in touch with me with the mock-ups. They notified me of what to expect and when. It was timely and precise. They were great. We used email to communicate.

I was completely happy. I appreciated that they worked with me to develop the aesthetic before coding. They showed me a PDF mock-up of the layout and asked if I wanted to change anything. They were completely open to my input. I also liked that they had their own design input. Although I’m a designer, I appreciate other opinions and ideas that could improve the results. It turned out even better than I envisioned.

They did exactly what I needed them to do. They also offer logo creation and can definitely do more. Talk out with them what you need and they can fulfill any design or web design task.

It was very reasonable.

Website Dev & Design for Women Apparel Manufacturer

"They were very responsive and attentive to our needs. ... I would highly recommend them."

Oct. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Avex Designs built a new B2B website, overseeing a photo shoot of over 200 photos. They also assisted with digital marketing and Google Analytics.

President, Jeanne Pierre

The website was successfully launched and the internal team is happy with the functionality. Understanding the time constraints and difficulties of working with an international office, they've remained accommodating and responsive throughout the process.

I'm the president of a 50-year-old company that manufactures women's apparel. We produce our sweaters in China and market them around the world, but our marketing office is in Manhattan.

What challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We didn't have a B2B website. Many stores in the U.S. carry our products, advertising them, but our clients in South America or Panama didn't have a good way to get in touch with us or find where our headquarters were. So we started looking for a company to build a website for us as quickly as possible.

They developed a website for us and offered different options for a photo shoot location. They understood what we wanted in terms of different models, including plus size models and missies. We used a mansion in Staten Island as a location for the photo shoot, producing over 200 photos. They're also helping us with digital marketing and Google Analytics.

We had one primary point of contact and worked with 1–2 other people.

How did you come to work with them?

I called a few companies that were recommended to me and asked for quotes. Avex Designs offered a price that was right in the middle. Since I heard good things about them, I called them and they seemed very professional and pleasant. They understood our time constraints and the difficulties of working with a company based in Hong Kong, so we hired them.

We spent about $24,000.

The project began in October 2017 and it was completed in January 2018.

The website functions well and our internal team loves it. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a web developer.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They were very responsive and attentive to our needs. We use Basecamp, so we haven't had any issues with communication. They're a pleasure to work with.

They're the only web developer I've used, so I have nothing to compare them to.

We were new to the process and didn't realize we'd need to provide all the clothes for our models, including pants and shoes. It wasn't their fault or responsibility, but it caused some last-minute rush for us.

Know what you're looking for in terms of your website. Many flashy and romantic websites are directed towards eCommerce – selling directly to customers and dropping or adding styles. But we had to tell our story on our website.

I got much higher quotes and lower quotes, but their price was right in the middle. They provided a good value.
    I would highly recommend them.

Web Dev and Design for Menswear Brand

“They understood how we wanted the site to look and function and they made it come to life.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Integrating Shopify, social feeds, and plugins, Avex created a user-friendly shopping platform for a clothing retailer. They also provide marketing support, strengthening domain authority and SEO.

Operations Manager, Menswear Brand

Site traffic and domain authority are up, as are the reach of newsletters and blogposts. Avex is cooperative and easy to reach, and they leverage their expert viewpoint against project goals and vision.

I run the operations for a men’s retail store in the Meatpacking District in New York City. We sell men’s clothing and footwear.

What challenge were you trying to address with Avex?

The goal was to create a website that integrates Shopify into a clean, easy-to-use shopping platform for our web store.

They built out the entire site from the backend to the aesthetics of the frontend. They integrated Shopify as our e-commerce platform, as well as our external social feeds, blog posts, and plugins into the site. They made the user experience natural and easy, including an application that lives within the website and allows users to view additional content, photos, and brand background while they shop. It makes navigation easy and the aesthetic seamless and cohesive.

After the site launched, we engaged them for digital marketing. They’re building our domain authority and working on SEO to drive more traffic to our site.

I work with a lead designer and their founder.

How did you come to work with Avex?

The owner of our company had a relationship with them from previous projects.

We started working on the build out in April 2017; that portion was completed and is fully functional. We’ve moved on to the marketing phase and our work with them is ongoing.

We’ve seen great results. Traffic and domain authority are up, and the reach of our newsletters and blogposts is broader. We’re happy with the results of their marketing efforts. We’ve extended their contract a couple of times and will continue to work with them.

How did Avex perform from a project management standpoint?

Everyone is great. They’re cooperative, talented, and easy to get in touch with. They’re very communicative and quick to respond. They gave feedback on their experience and provided great insight both in and out of our monthly meetings.

They understood how we wanted the site to look and function and they made it come to life. They took our vision and made it work. They’re experts in the field, and they balanced their expert point of view with what we wanted. It wasn’t a situation where they just said yes to everything. They were insightful and definitely added value.

There’s nothing I would ask them to do differently. We’ve had zero issues with them.

Be clear and upfront about what you want and how much you want to spend, and take their advice. They’ll make sure you get a great product.

Overall Score They were very professional, delivered a great product, and were communicative and insightful.
    They hit every deadline on time or early. They’re always punctual and willing to meet or chat.
    We’ve extended their retainer and we get good value for the service and quality of the products.
    They’re super easy to work with. They provide great service and delivered exactly what we wanted. It’s perfect for us.
    I would refer them, 100%.

Ongoing Custom Dev for Boutique Design Agency

"They’re fantastic ... We love their design work and so do our clients."

2014 - Ongoing

Avex Designs augmented an internal design and development team to assist with various client projects in web and mobile development. They focus on UX, graphics, layouts, and visuals.

Burlington, Massachusetts
Founder, Creative Agency

Avex Design was a stable, reliable, and enjoyable team to collaborate with. They’ve integrated seamlessly as part of the team and contributed to the 19 recently won awards. They’re easy to work with, and have always delivered on time and with a high quality.

We are a marketing, branding, and design agency for middle-market companies. I am the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We were looking to expand our design team.

Any website we do for a client has to be fully responsive and all of that, so everything Avex does for us includes that. Our internal team focuses on the full scope of projects, the coding and development work, and we’ve asked Avex to focus on and provide the design work. They handle all the visuals, graphics, and layouts. They sometimes will help us in defining the brand look and feel, and the user experience, and will collaborate with us on that.

We’ve worked with Trey [Hardin, Senior Art Director] and John [Surdakowski, Founder & Creative Director] and that’s it. They’ve been completely stable.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

We started looking around, researching on Google; we thought it would be interesting to look in New York City where the design talent is very strong. We looked at dozens of candidates, but we found Avex’s website and really loved their design work. We tested them out on a project, which went extremely well, and we’ve kept giving them projects since then.

[Confidential]

We’ve probably been working with them for about 3 years. We’re still working with them today on new projects. We’ve been extremely happy with them.

I can’t share revenue figures of our clients, but what I can share is that the websites that John and Trey have designed have won a lot of awards. We’ve won 19 awards in the last year, and quite a few of those included designs from Avex.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

We only work with Trey and John, so they’re our primary points of contact. And our philosophy as a company is that trying to manage a project via email is just pure chaos, so we don’t do that. We manage everything through Basecamp, and Avex has integrated into that very seamlessly. No problems whatsoever.

We’ve still yet to meet them in person, actually, but we’re very comfortable working in that environment; our company has resources all over the country.

Besides their excellent design work, they’re super nice people. We love all our internal designers, and we feel the same way about Avex as well.

Nothing comes to mind. They’re fantastic to work with, easy to work with. We love their design work and so do our clients. I can’t think of anything that could use improvement.

They are on the expensive side. With that said, because of the quality we get, I’ve never tried to push back on their pricing unless a client pushes back.

Product Brochure Design for Consumer Products Startup

"I want to reiterate is how incredibly professional and responsive [they are]."

Mar. - May 2016

Avex designed custom brochures to support rapid market growth and help better inform customers.

Joshua Brownfeld
Marketing Director, EverBlock

Aggressive deadlines failed to undermine product quality and communications were surprisingly streamlined. The project team made a concerted effort to suggest key improvements along the way.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

I’m the marketing director at EverBlock Systems. We are a global brand selling large, life-size, modular, plastic building blocks that can be used to build anything from furniture, temporary walls, or room dividers, to displays, and scenery, and murals.

What challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

EverBlock is an immature company. We're very much in start-up mentality. After we were done finalizing the actual block selections, we enlisted Avex to create a customized brochure, which was to be used by our agents all over the world. We're launching two new product lines in the next six months and we will be using their services again for creating similar types of marketing materials and brochures.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Because our brand tries to appeal to several different market segments, we wanted the visuals on the site to come across with a very clean, crisp, modern design. We wanted something simple to read and easy to use. The process was extremely collaborative. We had several initial consultations. They came on-site to learn more about our business, objectives, and to interact directly with the blocks. Once they had a firm grasp of what was necessary, we began in earnest. Our team supplied him with text and images.

What was the team dynamic?

We had a reasonably small team, only a handful of people, but were mostly in contact with John, our project lead.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

Ironically enough, the company that I'm working, for now, sought out Avex before I had even joined them. When I did get on board, they had started their communication process already. I suspect it was our CEO that reached out to Avex because of previous experience with them.

What can you share that would demonstrate the success of this engagement?

There were a few edits, back and forth, all with the almost immediate turnaround, which was surprising and helped us finish the project a lot sooner than expected. I would say the whole thing probably lasted three weeks. It really wasn't long at all. We had thought this was going to take several months, possibly even longer, with how busy we were. On the contrary, as soon as we asked for a revision, it was always done within 24hrs. The one thing I want to reiterate is how incredibly professional and responsive their communications are. They offer valuable insights and recommendations as professional designers, which is highly appreciated.

The reality is that we work with plastics. We're not proficient in design layout, especially when it comes to brochures, even though we've produced some in the past, this is by far the highest quality that we've ever been able to use. We’ve printed and distributed 500,000 of them or more already. It's been a very incredible, successful year for us, and no doubt that some of that is due to the work with Avex. Part of what this brochure does is showcase all the different scenarios that EverBlocks can be useful.

How would you compare their service to competitors?

In my former positions at ad agencies and marketing firms, we used to outsource considerable amounts of work. Usually, that outsourcing happens overseas and there was always a disconnect. It could be difficult in those scenarios to convey the points you want to make, but with Avex, we had direct access to their team, so we could ensure that there was nothing lost in translation.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

We primarily used email and telephone to communicate back and forth. It’s worked well for the most part. Documentation has always been pretty strong.

What do you consider impressive about their business practice?

Aside from their team being extremely friendly, they’re also very invested in the success of their client projects. They’re proud of the work they produce and that definitely makes a big difference.

Overall Score We've never had an issue with them. As I said, very nice people, great company, quick to respond and reply on the fly, even during the weekends.
    It's nothing through the roof but definitely on par.

Shopify Overhaul for Consumer Products Firm

"These guys are legit. I’ll never hire another agency as long as I’m working."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Avex designed and developed a website with multiple interactive and media elements as the last component to a company-wide rebrand. Graphic design and social media integration were emphasized requirements.

Justin Gray
Marketing Director, Enlightened

Traffic to and time spent on-site have both increased dramatically, and customers continue to praise the new design. Avex understood the brand vision effortlessly and executed beyond expectations. Their transparency, creativity, and dependability have made them a go-to partner.

I am the founder at Enlightened, a healthy snack company that’s been around since 2013. We started with a high-protein, low-calorie, low-sugar ice cream bar and have since rolled out four different product lines. A couple of the product lines are available through our website, and we also have brick and mortar retailers across the nation.

What challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

95% of our marketing efforts are to drive foot traffic and build brand awareness across the nation. I'd say website sales take a back seat to that, although it's still very important to us. Our marketing efforts run the gamut from social media ads to search and display, all the way up to on-the-ground, guerrilla-style tactics. We have over 2,500 influencers across the nation, and we ship out a lot of product. We do a little bit of everything. I'd say that our top two priorities from a marketing perspective are our social media community management and our influencer community management.

We had a pretty simple website with good UX, but the design was lacking and didn't really fit our brand aesthetic. We had gone through a full rebranding including the product packaging, social media, photography, and videography. The website was the last piece of that. From a graphic perspective, we really wanted the new website to reflect who we are as a company and the personality of our products.

We had an initial kick-off meeting with John [CEO, Avex Design] and he introduced us to their designer, Trey [Head Designer, Avex Design], who would be overseeing the site build and actually doing the graphic design. We basically did a brain dump. We do all of our creative in house, so they looked at all of our packaging, social media profiles, photography, and videography with our in-house creative director. They took all of that information back to the drawing board and came up with a couple of different designs, then we picked the one we liked the most.

From there, we had about three or four back and forths on little details, but for the most part, there wasn't a whole lot of editing. They did a great job of taking all of the resources we gave them, doing a deep dive into our brand, and coming back with something that really fits perfectly.

Functionally, everything went really smoothly. Trey and John were very transparent in everything that they were doing. Once the code was written, they gave us the ability to log into the back end and see changes in real time. One big thing that we wanted was a lot of motion. We wanted a lot of movement and background video. Trey suggested that we consider parallax scrolling, which I was unfamiliar with, but he showed me examples and it was perfect. Being able to log in to the back end throughout the process and see little updates here and there made a big difference because I never had to sit around wondering what it looked like or when it would be finished.

The gauntlet that I laid down for them is that I need it to be interactive. I didn't want our website to be a static repository of information, where if somebody needs to know something about the company, they come to the website, read it, and then leave. I wanted the website to be an extension of our community, and of our social media, and of our influencer campaign. Trey developed a community page for us that gave us the ability to update the videos, the photography, and content on the back end ourselves. This was very important because I wanted to be able to update it on a regular basis, and that's the product he was able to deliver for us. I’m very happy with that.

We never met a developer. We dealt exclusively with John and with Trey, who was the lead designer.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

I did some Googling about design firms here in New York City. I knew I wanted to work with someone local so that we could have face-to-face interaction, and I knew that I wanted to work with somebody who had experience with Shopify. We interviewed four or five different firms, looked through their previous work, and talked to previous clients. Avex stood out from the beginning as a firm that had a really good aesthetic feel for themselves, and they have done some really great client work in the past. After meeting John in person for an interview, there really wasn't any question that I wanted to hire Avex.

That's one of the reasons we vetted a bunch of different firms. We wanted to see what the price range was going to be, and out of the five that we interviewed, Avex was in the middle on cost, if not a little bit higher. They certainly weren't the cheapest firm that we interviewed, but they definitely convinced us that they brought the most value for the cost, and they definitely have proven that to be true.

We launched the site June 15th of this year, but we’re still working with them. The very first email with them was probably in March, but we didn't get started until April, if I remember correctly.

When we came to them we gave them a really tight timeline and they told us that they could get a bulk of the work up first, and then work on some of the sub-pages afterward. They worked on our timeline and were very flexible. They’re still building out some pages now but we’re almost done with all of it.

I can't really give you e-commerce numbers, but our time on-site has increased ten-fold. I mean, dramatic changes. We're driving double the amount of traffic than we were before, but that really has more to do with our ad spend than it does the actual site itself. But, we were able to justify increasing our spend because the metrics, once people hit the site, have doubled, tripled, and even quadrupled in some cases.

Anecdotally from the user perspective, the one thing that consumers reach out to us and comment on is the new site and how gorgeous it is. All this being said, it was obvious to me right away that we had made the right decision.

How did Avex Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They use Basecamp and they set up a Basecamp dashboard for us that we used to communicate. From my perspective as a marketing director that has overseen the build of several websites for several different companies in my career, I can say that Avex was by far the easiest firm I've ever worked with. John and Trey both were extremely receptive. They were very quick to respond to questions and comments, and they were able to take our feedback. If I gave them feedback and they didn't agree, they were able to come to me with the right context and the information that convinced me that my idea wasn’t the best for the end user. I really appreciated that about them.

From my perspective as the client, I highly recommend that anybody work with them, especially if you've been burnt in the past by other design or development firms. These guys are legit. I’ll never hire another agency as long as I’m working. If I ever need web development or design, I’m definitely going to be calling Avex.

I'm trying to think of something just to have something to say. I had a great experience with them, and nothing jumps out as something they could have done better. I think they were great.

What recommendations do you have for inexperienced buyers?

If you've never had to hire a web development or design firm before, I'd say the first thing you need to do is trust your gut as an Internet user and go to their website. If you Google web development in your city, the company that shows up towards the top is probably going to be a little better than the rest, just based on the fact that they're able to rank higher. Working in SEO and PPC, I know there are a lot of caveats to that. Also look at the website that they built for themselves and how much care, attention, and functionality they have within their own site. That'll be your first clue as to how much attention they're going to be able to give you as a client.

WordPress Implementation & Migration for Production Company

“[Avex Designs] worked closely with our company in order to achieve the perfect solution.”

Avex Designs led migration of an existing website from Drupal to Wordpress. Their involvement later included newsletter design and various other projects.

New York City Metro Area
Product Development Manager, Shipping & Packaging Company

The new, award-winning website features a user-friendly frontend and an editable backend that facilitates easy uploads. Avex Design provided efficient, confidential project management and was direct and specific in communication using a single point of contact.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

We're a design and production company. We have done a lot of work for the spirits and cosmetics industries, including packaging and product design. I am the new Product Development Manager. There is a bridge between my position and our marketing department, which is why I was involved in our website development.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We feature a lot of portfolio work on our site. We wanted to redesign it using the WordPress platform. Previously, we had a Drupal website. We create blogs and newsletters. Drupal isn't ideal for this purpose in terms of being user-friendly. It also seemed a bit outdated compared to WordPress, so we decided to use that platform instead. We couldn't handle the transition to WordPress alone so we decided to go contract a supplier to help us.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

We knew exactly what we wanted in terms of content, but as far as the layout design, we had a team effort with Avex Designs. They worked closely with our company in order to achieve the perfect solution.

We expanded Avex Designs' involvement to our newsletter design, as well as creating an FTP on which our clients could upload files.

I worked directly with Avex Designs' principal and also spoke to his associate. I also met Avex Designs in person.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

Our Chief Executive Officer found Avex Designs, choosing them out of a number of companies.

The total cost of Avex Designs' services was around $20,000.

We started working with Avex Designs last year. The work took one month to complete. I contact Avex Designs for any code-related changes to the website and we also talk about other things our company may need, but nothing significant.

Our site has won an award, which was wonderful for us. It is a very nice, user-friendly page from a frontend aspect. Most people can edit the site easily, and our clients have been able to upload files to it, so it has been a good solution for us.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

Avex Designs performed well in terms of schedule and budget, probably because of how involved their executive leadership was. We used Google Drive for communication, as well as Basecamp, which is a platform used by Avex Designs internally. It was a good solution in terms of confidentiality, requiring logins for access. We used Avex Designs' paid account during the project.

What distinguishes Avex Designs from other providers?

Avex Designs' principal is very direct and specific, so working with him is easy. We had very few revision needs.

Different companies have different styles of working, but I think that Avex Designs can adapt to this.

Is there anything Avex Designs could have improved or done differently?

Not particularly. With a project like ours, it's better to have fewer people involved on the client's end, than more. People want different things, so it can become confusing. It's nice to only have one person working on the project.

There has been very slight tardiness on Avex Designs' side.
    Avex Designs is more on the expensive end, but we knew that when making our decision.
    I haven't recommended Avex Designs yet, given that many of our colleagues already have websites. If I came across someone needing a corporate site, I would recommend Avex Designs.

Site Redevelopment for Entertainment Startup

“Avex Designs is adept at taking information and turning it into a good result.”

Avex Designs completely redeveloped and updated a company website according to detailed specifications. The team also reviewed and produced a marketing video.

Jeff Mitchell
VP Client Services, ArtVision

The website is visually appealing and appears first in Google searches for the niche market.  Avex Designs remained conscientious of budget constraints and offered several options to keep it constant. They excelled in design and clearly translated the client’s idea into graphics and images.

Please introduce your business and what you do there.

We develop project management software for performing arts organization. I'm the vice president of client services.

What business challenge were you trying to address with Avex Designs?

We needed to update our website. It was easier to have someone else do it than to spend the time doing it ourselves. We wanted to make sure that potential clients could get as much information about our various functionalities before contacting us. Given that we focus exclusively on performing arts, we operate within a niche market, so we wanted to make sure that we accurately represented the activity of our client organizations at the same time projecting a modern appearance.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

Avex Designs redeveloped our company website in its entirety. I specced out what I wanted for each page. Our old site had limited information, so I started a complete build out for a much more robust version.

One year later, we also engaged Avex Designs for creating a marketing video for us. I wrote the script for it, Avex Designs reviewed it and made some comments regarding timing, after which they handled the production.

I communicated with Avex Designs's principal [John Surdakowski, the Founder and Creative Director] and one other person, but there may have been more resources working on our project that I didn't know about.

How did you come to work with Avex Designs?

One of my friends is the art director of a university. I had made a Facebook post asking for recommendations, to which he and a couple of other people replied. I spoke with a few agencies and liked the work from Avex Designs's portfolio. I decided to work with them.

The total cost of Avex Designs's services, including our website development, marketing videos, and other work, was between $10,000 and $20,000.

The website development started in 2014, and it was estimated to have a two-to-three-month duration, but it took three to four months. Our video took six weeks to produce, and it was done in 2015.

The timeline was delayed a bit because of my work schedule. I couldn't submit decisions to Avex Designs as fast as I'd have wanted.

When searching Google for general terms related to our activity, we pop-up first. I can't necessarily say that Avex Designs's work increased our traffic, given that we're in a fortunate position and don't have to seek out new business. I don't keep precise metrics, but it's very comforting to know that a well-designed site is the first thing our clients go to in general searches.

How did Avex Designs perform from a project management standpoint?

Avex Designs delivered well in terms of time and budget. We used Basecamp for collaboration. It's functional, but I don't really like it. I think that it's used by Avex Designs for most of their projects.

I wanted my budget to remain constant, so Avex Designs gave me some options during negotiations.

What distinguishes Avex Designs from other providers?

I've had limited work with other web designers. I don't have design skills, so I appreciated that Avex Designs was able to take my ideas and put graphics and images behind them with good interpretation.

Is there anything Avex Designs could have improved or done differently?

No. Overall, I was happy with Avex Designs. This may not have been the most complex project that Avex Designs was approached for, but they did exactly what we asked for.

In general, it's important that a client have a good understanding of what they want their end result to be and provide as much information as possible. Avex Designs is adept at taking that information and turning into a good result.

Overall Score Avex Designs has been very easy to communicate with and eager to submit a well-done result.
    Most of the delays were on my side.
    I'm very happy with the return on investment.
    Some images chosen for the site required more back and forth with Avex Designs than I'd have wanted.
    I'd recommend Avex Designs based on what the person was looking for.