Software Innovation

OUR DEVELOPERS DO THE HARD STUFF. Art+Logic designers and developers know how to solve even the most unusual and thorny problems — often where others have failed. We’re comfortable with the entire software development process, from concept to maturity. When there are unforeseen circumstances, or your project has its first hiccup, you can rely on us to know how to overcome any unexpected technical issues.

We follow a proven software development process that is built on realistic estimates, a flexible methodology, and a belief in raw talent. Our developers apply the principles of “agile” software development in a flexible, practical way that respects the iterations of software development, and allows for any necessary adjustments or changes of course. We only hire great programmers, comfortable in the knowledge that a “great” programmer can be ten times more productive and innovative than an “average” one.

OUR PROCESS

Our work revolves around taking our clients’ ideas and bringing them to life in a form that’s better than they could have imagined. Our clients range from businesses in need of custom software to skilled development shops to people with an idea and some funding. We work with companies, individuals, and organizations from every possible industry, who often come to us with problems and ideas that other developers have told them aren’t practical to develop or feasible to tackle.  We combine our clients’ industry expertise and domain knowledge with our expertise in software development in order to create and deliver great software that meets business requirements while complying with any rules, regulations, and standards that come into play. Our success with long-term client relationships depends on repeat customers and word-of-mouth referrals, and we can only achieve this by consistently creating high-quality software that meets -- and often exceeds -- our clients’ expectations.

1991
Pasadena, CA
  • Art+Logic Pasadena, CA 91001

Mobile App Dev for Education Nonprofit

“The app they created was right on target.”

Jan. - Dec. 2015

Art+Logic designed and developed a game app based on a rough outline and specific messaging, incorporating customizable user features and interactive components.

Neosho, Missouri
Vicky Mieseler
VP of Clinical Services, Ozark Center

Art+Logic delivered an app that exceeded expectations, receiving lots of positive feedback from users and the funder backing the project. In addition to being attentive and accessible throughout the engagement, their team genuinely cared about the outcome of the product and its greater purpose.

I'm the chief administrative officer for the Ozark Center, a community behavioral health center.

What challenge were you trying to address with Art+Logic?

We wanted to create an app that could provide users an opportunity to learn about resilience. We wanted the app to be easy to use by children in any country to help parents and loved ones understand how to interact with each other following a major disaster.

Art+Logic created the Super Me! app for us from scratch based on the general outline and messaging our team provided. They designed the UI and uploaded the app on various app stores.

The app allows users to create an avatar of themselves, along with a family and home that mirrors their own from options in a menu. Users can interact with other neighborhoods and people, including a mentor. There are also cultural components that contain music and art throughout the game.

My first point of contact was Joshua (Senior Sales Executive, Art+Logic), but I also worked with a project manager and a team of people on graphics and design.

How did you come to work with Art+Logic?

I researched various vendors online and liked Art+Logic's website and the type of work they'd done for other well-known companies. As a nonprofit, I also appreciated that they spent some time working on projects that don't necessarily generate any revenue.

We've invested $250,000–$500,000.

We worked with them from January to December 2015.

We've been very pleased with the qualitative feedback we've received on the app thus far—most people are amazed by it. The funder of the project has been very pleased with the overall outcome and the level of engagement it's received from different countries around the world. We haven't received any complaints or concerns relating to the app.

How did Art+Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management was exceptional. They made themselves very accessible, even late into the evenings. We mostly communicated through phone and email.

About half-way through the project, Art+Logic's team commented on how pleased they were to take part in some of our meaningful work as a nonprofit. They've since expressed interest in making sure that more of their time is spent on similar projects.

I was also impressed by how quickly they were able to understand our vision, despite our lack of technical knowledge. The app they created was right on target.

No. There's nothing I would've had them do differently.

Don't be too concerned about the manner in which you present your vision or your lack of technical knowledge. Their team is extremely approached and talented when it comes to turning rough ideas into well-designed products.

Overall Score Our experience with Art+Logic was insightful and the outcome speaks for itself.
    They met all deadlines.
    As a nonprofit, they were able to work within our budget.
    The app they created exceeded our expectations.
    I'd recommend them to anyone and I hope to work with them again.

Multiple Dev Projects for R&D Company

“I’m really happy with them.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

July 2016 - Ongoing

Using Go programming language, Art+Logic assisted in the development of an automated control stand-alone robot. They’re also assisting with an interactive interface on the Unity platform and a third project.

President, Development Company

Art+Logic’s developers successfully deliver the additional help needed for multiple projects. They quickly familiarized themselves with the technologies and methods needed to help out, and the skilled and motivated team is increasing productivity.

I’m the president of an R&D lab that creates technologies for enhancing sports productions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Art+Logic?

We needed additional resources for our development projects.

One of the projects is a stand-alone robot with automated control for a specific task. It’s externally controlled with computer vision. I created a specification and interface, and Art+Logic is adhering to them. We used Go for the programming language.

We’re also developing an exploratory project that is an interactive interface using a Unity platform.

We are working on a third project as well; it is much more technically challenging, causing more struggle but not because of the level of the development. It’s not all on them. They’ve been working closely with me to get beyond the challenges.

My contact is Joshua (Senior Sales Executive, Art+Logic). I gave him the requirements and he put me in touch with a talented lead. Once we had the scope determined, he brought in another person who co-developed with him.

How did you come to work with Art+Logic?

I found them in an online search.

We’ve spent $1 million–$5 million.

We started working together in July 2016 and the work is ongoing.

They helped us find talent to work with me. The first two projects are the most positive.

How did Art+Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

It’s been helpful to me. I’ve been able to get a lot more productivity by working with people that are self-starters. We do weekly Google Hangouts and calls and we also use Slack.

They were open and flexible with the tools that we needed to use. They were fluent in adapting to technologies, languages, and approaches.

They’re no-nonsense and have good technical abilities. They achieved fluency quickly in the programming language. There have been no issues. I’m impressed with how it’s going.

No. We’ve worked with a couple different groups and I’m really happy with them.

I recommend them.

Software Development for Automobile Auction Company

“The team always has the right expertise for what we want.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

Art + Logic is building a new management system with enabling packages to replace a legacy application. The team provides UX/UI design and technical training services during development.

Connecticut
Retiring IT Director, Independent Auction

The platforms Art + Logic are building out show promise and have already garnered positive feedback. Their team’s broad array of development skills and ability to resolve the problems that have arisen augur future engagement.

We’re a dealer-to-dealer automobile auction house that lets dealers auction off vehicles they can’t sell. I’m the retiring IT director; my successor is currently onboarding.

What challenge were you trying to address with Art + Logic?

We needed our entire auction management system rewritten. Initially, we reached out to them for advice but soon realized we couldn’t do it alone. We decided to hire them to develop and design a new application.

The legacy system was written in C code with various pieces in CGI-BIN, Windows Mobile, and C#. Art + Logic architected the servers to migrate everything to a Python backend and JavaScript frontend environment. Full-stack development coincided with UX/UI design. They also helped train our team on the new technologies.

The project focused on enhancing the vehicle management process: receiving vehicles, inventory, recording transactions, titles, and dealer and customer management. Our customer management services include payments, status, and work orders. The team also added a variety of enabling packages to increase functionalities.

While most people still use the legacy application, the new system is currently under development.

We had a dedicated project manager, a primary backend architect, QA testers, and frontend designers and developers working on this project.

How did you come to work with Art + Logic?

I’m not positive, but I think we found them through a Google search. We had a few conversations and liked what we heard. Based on their feedback, we decided to use them for development.

We’ve spent between $1 million–$5 million.

Work started April 2016 and is ongoing.

A few people have access to the new system. We’ve gotten good feedback, but it’s too early to have hard data. Qualitatively, we’ve been very happy with them. There are a few issues, but we resolve them and move forward. We plan to include them on future development projects.

How did Art + Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

Art + Logic has met us in person a few times for “all hands on deck” meetings. They’re very good; we decided to take a more active role after seeing their progress. I can’t speak to specifics, however, because my replacement is tracking their work.

They have great depth of skills. The team always has the right expertise for what we want.

Project management could be better, but in general, I have no complaints.

Have a concrete vision to avoid scrambling at the beginning of development. We went in unprepared to define the project and application fully. I would’ve liked to have started differently.

Overall Score We've been happy with their work and intend to continue the partnership.
    Most deadlines were met.
    Everything was done in a professional manner.

Custom Development for Freight Transportation Network

"I don’t have enough superlatives to describe what an astounding job they’ve done.”

Sept. 2015 - Ongoing

Art+Logic completely manages a software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform. After learning the project’s intricacies, they continually provide custom development and integrate new features with existing aspects.

California
CEO, Transportation Company

Art+Logic is a cohesive, and multidisciplinary team of experts. They’re capable of solving problems with innovative solutions and can also provide valuable counsel regarding strategy. They deliver projects early and operate as partners instead of a contracted resource.

I’m the CEO of a freight distribution network. We’re a SaaS platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Art+Logic?

We decided to take a new direction with our SAAS platform and needed to hire new developers with different skills. Art+Logic stepped in to take over all development aspects of the project.

We turned over our entire platform to Art+Logic when they knew absolutely nothing about our progress so far or the industry in general. Their task was to develop new features that would integrate with the existing platform. We essentially had them develop our platform from the ground up, despite being an outside resource.

We work closely with a project manager. Additional team members include .NET developers and hardware developers. They’re a 60-person team in total.

How did you come to work with Art+Logic?

Art+Logic was referred to us by a mutual friend and consultant on our staff. We chose them because they have a long history of working together and represent a cohesive team. Their access to a wide range of experts ensured they were dependable and knowledgeable. Additionally, it became obvious that it would cost exponentially more to hire the number of employees capable of the miscellaneous tasks they perform for us.

The project started in September 2015 and it’s an ongoing collaboration.

I literally cannot imagine a better team. I don’t have enough superlatives to describe what an astounding job they’ve done. Art+Logic improves every idea, feature, or problem we present, and also enhances the strategy behind what’s already being developed. They make our platform more intuitive, powerful, and accessible to users than ever before. They're not just developers; they’re strategic partners.

How did Art+Logic perform from a project management standpoint?

They respond immediately and are either ahead of schedule or right on deadline. They’ve always operated completely on budget and have an in-house system we use for project management. I’ve also had the opportunity to meet many of their team members in person.

I was doubtful in the beginning that anyone could do what we were asking them to do, let alone a contract firm. However, I quickly realized they’re a different level vendor. They took the project head-on and improved everything dramatically. Also, their expertise in development strategy is surprising to me. Even as the company’s CEO, I often look to them for leadership in that area.

No. Nothing comes to mind.

They’re highly skilled, so bring everything to the table and let them weigh-in.

Software Dev Support for Tech Company

"They do great work and are a great company to work with."

Jan. 2017 - Jan. 2018

Art+Logic produced a clean room port of technology. They took existing requirements and integrated them into an open-source code base. They also handled complex licensing issues.

Cupertino, California
Manager, Tech Company

Art+Logic produced a high-quality resource. Although the product was not delivered on time, they effectively managed logistical challenges and adapted to changing requirements.

We make consumer devices.

For what projects/services did your company hire Art+Logic?

We needed a clean room port of technology that used open source code but had problematic licensing.

To get code ready for 3rd parties to use it

We had a previous experience with this company.

They provided programing services that included merging our requirement into an existing open-source code base.

We dealt with two engineers.

We communicated by phone and email.

They had a great ability to find the right resource for the job. We are very happy with the person chosen for this project.

Art+Logic’s could improve their responsiveness. High priority issues were delayed due to working across time zones and miscommunications.

Overall Score They do great work and are a great company to work with.
    Their response time was slow because we were in different time zones.
    The project went way longer than expected, but that was largely due to constantly changing requirements.
    They took a hard problem and implemented the solution well.
    I am highly likely to refer them.