Web and Mobile apps development agency

Bronze

Armia Systems, Inc develops web and mobile applications powering online businesses. Since 2003 we helped a number of tech companies and startups to build their platforms and products. We are based in Chicago, IL with a captive development center in India with more than 125 rockstar developers. This offers a combination of vale and quality.

2003
    Kochi 682042
  • Quilon, KL 601021

Headcase 8to18 Inc WildKale Alice.com

Web Development for Coffee Shop

“Project management was exceptional.”

Dec. 2018 - Jun. 2019

Armia Systems developed a custom website from scratch. The site processes customer orders for delivery or pick up and also helps staff to process orders, correspond with customers, and modify orders.

Owner, Cafe and Coffee Shop

Armia Systems satisfactorily delivered the site as requested, and it is now functioning as desired. The team conducted the project with superior planning and structure, and the lead paved the way with excellent prioritization and perseverance. A dedicated developer offered personalized service.

We’re a coffee shop, and we also sell cold-pressed juices, pastries, sandwiches, and salads.

What challenge were you trying to address with Armia Systems?

We wanted to create a customized website where customers could place an order online. Instead of continuing to use Grubhub, people could use our website to place their orders for delivery or pick up.

They built our website. They developed the backend and a lot of important features. The site is for ordering, but it also manages how we handle and process the order, how we communicate with the customers, and how we modify orders. In order to build something extremely well, we felt that it had to be built from scratch.

There were three key people, with Sajin (Project Manager, Armia Systems) acting as our team lead.

How did you come to work with Armia Systems?

We worked with them for over three years on a different project with the same team. I was happy with their service.

We worked together from December 2018 until June 2019.

We’re just starting to use it. I’m thrilled with them and have no complaints whatsoever.

How did Armia Systems perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management was exceptional. We had weekly calls and Sajin did a fantastic job of keeping the project on track, understanding our requirements and prioritizing.

I’m happy with how they conducted the work in a remarkably organized way.

No, I’m happy with them.

Having a dedicated developer that we could correspond with directly was like having our own employee. We could make decisions, change our minds, add things, increase the scope of the project, and we didn’t have to get quotes for every little piece. We could direct the developer as we saw fit.

Overall Score They’re great, which is why I continue working with them.

Web Development for Business Networking Platform

"Armia Systems has demonstrated a high level of trust and consistently achieved against key timelines and goals."

May 2016 - Ongoing

Armia Systems is developing and designing a social media based, business networking platform. The solution is delivered as a web-based platform via the Google cloud and supports iOS and Android mobile apps.

Garry Miller
Founder, BizBFriend.com

The solution has evolved through several iterations, having received feedback from key stakeholders and user groups. Armia Systems has proven to be a highly capable team, demonstrating a high level of integrity and honesty throughout the project. They add value at every stage.

I'm the founder, creator, and investor of a startup company. I'm developing a new type of integrated social media platform for business networking.

What challenge were you trying to address with Armia Systems?

I needed to work with a partner to create an intuitive, easy-to-use platform that would enable a complex set of relationship models and include elements of monetization. It needed to compete and differentiate itself through its intuitive usability and value-add against other well-established platforms in this market.

Armia Systems serves as my key partner. They are responsible for developing the code and translating my business specifications into a practical working model and dealing with all of the technical aspects involved in this.

Armia Systems offers a spectrum of very capable people who can address pretty much any aspects of my project needs, effectively a one-stop-shop for everything.

Key to the success of any project is the project manager, and Sajin (Project Manager, Armia Systems) has excelled in this role at Armia Systems. With great communication and interpersonal skills, he manages several equally outstanding team members to bring agility and innovation to delivery.

How did you come to work with Armia Systems?

After some research online and some personal recommendations, I was able to reach Jon (Director of Sales and Marketing, Armia Systems). He offered me a flexible prototype scoping, which allowed me to assess their capabilities and fit for the larger project.

This is a major project which began in May 2016 and is ongoing. The project has evolved with many iterations and high-level collaborative feedback.

I've been sharing early phases with user test groups to solicit feedback on the project and its usability, which we use to drive the evolution and the ultimate definition of the project

The platform hasn't been formally launched yet; I expect it to launch in the next few months.

How did Armia Systems perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager Sajin works closely with the rest of the team to translate what I'm looking for and to construct the right approach through software development. He’s responsible for placing the right people on the project and making sure it's being pushed through to completion.

Armia Systems has met all of my timelines and key criteria. There’s a number of people involved in the project, and Sajin is critical at orchestrating the entire process.

There is always a huge leap of faith involved when you are working with a new partner, especially when they are so remote, as you don't have full control over what they're doing or how they do it.

Armia Systems has earned a very high level of trust, which I feel is one of the most important characteristics required to achieve a great partnership. Armia Systems continues to reinforce that trust as the project has progressed.

The breadth of their expertise is also a really important factor. I know that they can meet my needs if I want to develop either a specific piece of code or to create an innovative design framework. Armia Systems has demonstrated a high level of trust and consistently achieved against key timelines and goals.

They've been professional, prompt, and timely with everything. It's difficult for me to identify anything that I would change at this particular point in time.

The key is to understand your vision in terms of what you want to create. However, be prepared to listen to feedback and change an approach in order to achieve the best possible way to deliver against that vision.

My project has evolved and changed quite a lot from the initial inception, but it has evolved with the support of Armia Systems into something which I feel has become an even more exciting version of what I initially started out with.

Overall Score It's been a good experience.
    They provide a very good value.
    I’d definitely recommend them to anybody.

Customization of Meal Delivery Platform

"They always managed to meet or exceed our expectations."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

Armia Systems provided a website template and coordinated the customization of the design for a meal delivery platform. They took existing mockups into consideration and oversaw their implementation.

British Virgin Islands
Sharifa Maloney
Founder, Deliver VI

The site has yet to launch, but focus group members have offered positive feedback—citing the platform’s design and user-friendliness. Armia Systems features an accessible and professional team, making for a successful engagement. They follow instructions well and produce strong deliverables.

I am the owner and founder of Deliver VI, an online courier service specializing initially in meal delivery.

For what projects/services did your company hire Armia Systems?

We hired Armia Systems to customize our website.

We wanted our finished product to serve as a platform for people to order meals online and have them delivered to a specific location.

I found them via online search. I was impressed with their website and the examples of their previous work.

We selected a predesigned website option from them and made changes to make the site suitable for our market and make it distinguishable from any others. We provided mockups for what we wanted the site to look like, and they produced it exactly as I had envisioned.

Our project team consisted of three people, including a project manager.

We are still early in the startup phase, so I do not have results readily available. However, the members of the focus group we held found the site visually attractive and easy to use.

They prioritized clear workflows and meeting deadlines. They always managed to meet or exceed our expectations.

Even if we had any miscommunications, they remained courteous. I was impressed by their professionalism and their attentiveness.

Their work ethic needs no improvement, but I would suggest they expand their product offerings so that everything does not need to be designed from scratch.

Software Dev for Athletic Recruitment Platform

"I can’t say enough about their ability to cooperate and improve our software."

May 2016 - Ongoing

Armia Systems rebuilt an aging scheduling and management software from scratch in PHP, preserving essential features and improving functionality to create a seamless transition. They now assist with debugging.

Lombard, Illinois
Mike Morris
School Liasion, 8to18 Digital, Inc.

Thanks to Armia Systems’ helpful tweaks, the modernized software performs more reliably and efficiently, lending greater economic control of the product. The team’s thoughtful suggestions, coordinated organization, and willingness to listen attentively to objectives continue to impress.

I’m the school liaison for 8to18 Digital, Inc., which is a media company that provides schools and organizations with tools for scheduling and managing activities. We also offer an online registration solution, build public websites, and improve communications between schools/organizations and the community.

We serve over 600 schools and organizations throughout the U.S. I’m a retired athletic administrator and co-founded the original software in 1994.

What challenge were you trying to address with Armia Systems?

We needed to take a reliable piece of software that was built with an old tool (PowerBuilder) and move it to PHP to improve efficiency and gain more economic control of the software.

We had written a program in 1994 using PowerBuilder, but it was no longer being supported. We looked at iScripts from Armia Systems to rebuild our software from scratch and put it in a new language that we could adapt in the future with our own developers.

The software manages athletic and organizational scheduling, transportation, and workers and officials. It also creates all kinds of reports, including schedules by date, facility, team, bus, and official. Many parts are intertwined, so it’s not a simple database. Because of the intricacies of how the software was built over time, we needed somebody with real experience to rebuild it.

Jonathan [Director of Sales and Marketing, Armia Systems] is our contact in Illinois, and I work directly with Sajin [Senior Business Analyst, Armia Systems] in India and his team. I believe there were 5 people altogether.

How did you come to work with Armia Systems?

Our CEO knew another company that had worked with Armia. He described them as a vendor that could do the work we needed in an efficient and economical way.

The project has been ongoing for a year and a half. We have the software and are going through the debugging process. We will be adding enhancements based on Armia’s suggestions to make a better user experience [UX].

They did a good job in producing a quality piece of software. I just act as the consultant about what the user needs, so I don’t have any metrics. Armia has been extremely helpful in providing additional tweaks to the system and making the app more robust. We’ve only shared it with 50 of our 600 schools. Some are using it, and others are still using the old system.

As we’ve gone through the process, Armia listened closely to our needs and provided a solid solution. If something didn’t work as well as we needed it to, they came up with a better way of doing it. We’ve had fewer than 25 bugs in the system. Everything else has been pretty efficient.

How did Armia Systems perform from a project management standpoint?

We had weekly meetings that each lasted an hour. We communicated via email with the project manager, Sajin. If I had any direct questions, I’d communicate with the developers, who would always respond within 24 hours. The developers were located in a different time zone, but they were very responsive.

Their flexibility is impressive. Armia asked questions ahead of time to clarify the software’s functions. Typically, that’s not been the case in dealing with other developers. Other developers take the software into a vacuum, build it, and hand it over. Armia was much more in tune with our specific needs. That prevented some of the issues that come with building software.

The hardest part of working together is coordinating tasks over Skype and email. Sometimes, the language barrier can create difficulties. After a while, we found ways to accommodate each other. We made adjustments at the beginning because of time zones, different accents, and language variations. After a couple of months, things went really smoothly. I can’t say enough about their ability to cooperate and improve our software.

Do you have any advice for potential clients?

Having a clear definition of your project will solve a lot of problems. We knew exactly what we wanted and how it should perform from the day we met with the representative in Illinois. Putting that information together before Armia worked on the software helped us give them a clear outline. They understood that the software needed to be user-friendly for our clientele.

Overall Score All I ask from developers is that they listen to our needs and provide solutions in a professional manner. Armia met those requirements at every step.
    I’m not sure what the actual timeline was for this project, but Armia always kept me informed throughout the process.
    I am not involved with that part of the project.
    We’ve had very few problems with the first release of the software. I believe that’s because of their eye for detail.
    They’re easy to work with, and the cooperation has been excellent.

Software Development for Personalized Web Subdomains

“I’d probably recommend them, but I would also voice my concerns.”

Mar. 2015 - Ongoing

Armia Systems developed software capable of hosting multiple e-commerce sub-domains and a CMS. The software is also being customized to offer recruitment incentives.

Manager, Community Cooperative LLC

Armia Systems’ work has cost 4-5 times the amount they initially promised. A moderate language barrier caused issues with communication, project management was poor at times, and there was dishonesty concerning project scope. However, they were able to fix bugs within the system.

I’m the manager of a company that brings people together with community relations.

What challenge were you trying to address with Armia Systems?

Our idea was in the beginning stages, but we needed to upgrade our software and add customizations.

Armia Systems made different adjustments to the software based on my specifications. There’s been a series of sporadic upgrades and customizations since I bought it 2 years ago to get it to do what I wanted, and I plan on adding more. I’m in the process now of getting it launched, and the changes I’ve already made will be backdated once it’s up and running. The goal of the launch is for the software to run on its own, and I’ve found that to be difficult because it can’t really do that. I still want to get it as close to that state as possible.

The software brings people together to promote their own online businesses by supplying sub-domains for stores and a type of content management system. It’s shifting the power for people who want to be a home-based business with tax incentives. I’ve added features to give different incentives for recruiting, and we’ve been updating the software to include those percentages. I can log into the admin and put in whatever percentage I want for that.

I’ve worked with about three of their team members.

How did you come to work with Armia Systems?

I was looking around for about a year, and a lot of places wanted a large sum of money up front. Armia Systems was a more reasonable route financially, which is why I chose them. I also have money invested in a separate website to promote this one, as well as other projects in case this one doesn’t work out.

I’ve spent $20,000.

We started working together in March 2015, and the relationship is ongoing.

I wanted to make sure it’s exactly what I want before I launch it, so I don't have any results yet. Hopefully, it will be finished this month.

How did Armia Systems perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management seems satisfactory, but I was indifferent about it at first. The only bad part was spending the money I didn’t think I would have to. In the beginning, there was a little bit of confusion because of our language barrier. When I talk to them over Skype, I sometimes have to go over things a few times depending on who I’m speaking with to make sure we understand each other. This communication problem may have caused some delays or things being done wrong at first.

I communicated with the project manager and the entire team. I am more comfortable communicating with only one person due to our language barrier, and I’ve had repeated trouble understanding one specific person on their team. We interacted through Skype every other week, but it got to the point where I was more comfortable sending emails because it didn’t make sense to use Skype for general questions

There were a lot of technical issues in the beginning. For example, I was having problems with the site loading, and I brought this to their attention numerous times, but they didn’t think I knew what I was talking about. I was looking at other servers, and knew they had to have high qualities for this software in particular to function. It was going to cost me a lot of money to put it on another server, like GoDaddy. I talked to Jon [Director of Sales and Marketing, Armia Systems] in Chicago, and he said he didn’t understand why I wanted to spend money when I was receiving free hosting. However, free hosting wasn’t beneficial to me if the website didn’t work. They finally listened to me and examined the problem.

After a customization, they would claim everything was good to go. Then, if something wasn’t working or if there were bugs, they would tell me they needed additional time despite their original claim. Throughout the process, there’s been a lot of bugs in the system, but they did eventually work them out.

I don’t have a lot to compare my experience to.

They should have been more upfront about the cost, and it seemed they lied in the beginning concerning this. It cost me 4-5 times the promised amount after I purchased the software. They didn’t disclose this initially, so I’m not really happy about that. They misled me by saying most customizations are under $1,000 and that I should only need one, but only one customization has fallen into that bracket.

They had a person working on their team in the beginning of the project who quit a few months later, and because he had given me bad advice regarding the project, I lost all that money. It was like hiring another company to promote it. They also initially told me I wouldn’t have to pay for hosting, but 2 years later, I found out that was a lie as well.

They sold me on what they call “dedicated service,” which is a 3-month engagement where customizations are made. When the 3 months was up, they told me I had to do another 3 months if I wanted my project finished. This caused me financial issues.
    I paid for a financial learning experience. In the beginning it was hard for me to describe what I wanted to do, and a lot has changed as time passes. Their quality is okay in terms of cost.
    In the beginning I had high expectations that I was going to have this done right away and have an automatic ROI. It’s been 2.5 years, and I’m still throwing money into it as well as having a lot of project management issues.
    I’d probably recommend them, but I would also voice my concerns. I’d tell them it’s good value, but also what to expect.

App Development for Software Startup

"They really know what they’re doing from a technical standpoint."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Armia developed an MVP for the client's app and optimized the UX. They came on board as a full business partner on an equity basis.

Charlie Abrams
Founder/CEO, Vusion Technologies

Armia offered caring, engaged service and excellent project management capabilities. Their technical expertise was evident in the final product, which was completed at an affordable rate.

I am the founder and CEO of Vusion Technologies LLC based in Chicago, IL. We are a software startup currently focused on mobile consumer apps. Our first product, PlayMe, is in beta for iOS. I wear many hats and do a little bit of everything for the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Armia?

My background is in business and marketing, with no coding/technical experience. I had put together a wireframe for the app, but I needed outside help to develop it as well as enhance the user flow, design, etc. I didn’t have much money to get started, so I was looking for a partner who believed in the idea and would work mostly on an equity basis.

Armia is my co-founder and handles all technical aspects of the project. Aji, their CEO, acts as my CTO. We started by choosing all the features/functions necessary for an MVP and tweaked the design and user flow. They provided me with a project manager and technical team to then develop the MVP as well as QA testers (these employees are based in India). They also provide me with space in their Chicago office to work directly with them.

How did you come to work with Armia?

I found them through cofounderslab.com. I was originally looking for individuals who would join on an equity basis, but then I realized showing my wireframe to complete strangers with the technical know-how to build it was a bit risky. They could either create it on their own or turn out to be a poor cofounder. Since I am a first-time entrepreneur, I figured going with a professional firm would be best.

My only issue was cost, as building a mobile app from scratch can be in the tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Then I stumbled upon Armia, who ran their own incubator called CodeVentures. With CodeVentures, they would build the MVP for a little cash and equity, if they liked the idea enough. So, I pitched my app, they got behind it, and we made the partnership official. They had the experience and skills necessary and happened to be local. It was a no-brainer for me to partner with them.

How much have you invested with Armia?

So far, I have invested $2500. I will pay them another $2500 once the app is on the app store. Any future development costs after launch is uncertain, as we don’t know how many developers will be needed.

We started development in October 2016. It is still ongoing, and I expect the partnership to be perpetual until there is an exit or the company goes under (I’m hoping for the former).

We are doing our first beta test right now, so there’s not much to go off, as of now. It’s not where it needs to be yet, but that is to be expected at this stage, especially with a new concept.

How did Armia perform in terms of project management?

Overall, they have done pretty well. The project manager they assigned to me is very capable and easy to communicate with (he’s in the India office).

What did you find most impressive about Armia?

Their ability to manage 100+ offshore employees while delivering quality projects to clients all over the country is quite impressive. They really know what they’re doing from a technical standpoint and are very personable and hands-on with their projects. They are also very flexible with payment and really do care about the software they are creating and the people they are creating it for.

Are there any areas where Armia could improve?

Certain things can get lost in translation when communicating certain ideas or features. While the guys in Chicago may fully understand, it can be difficult at times to clearly communicate what you want to the offshore team. It’s not quite the same as having your developers working next to you every day, where there can be a free flow of ideas and a full understanding of what needs to be done. There’s nothing Armia can really do about this, since they can provide such affordable development by having their developers offshore. The tradeoff is ultimately worth it, at least to get an affordable MVP to market.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Armia?

Communicate your ideas and project effectively, and be as specific as possible. Having some sort of design or user flow going into it will be very beneficial.

Overall Score It has generally been a great experience. I hope our partnership continues for a long time to come.
    It took a little longer than expected to get a fully functioning beta, but still it was completed in a reasonable amount of time.
    I think it would be hard to find this quality of work for this price anywhere else.
    The beta still needs work but is on the right track.
    I would recommend them to almost anyone.

Bronze