Solving Your Business Problems with Technology

App Guys Inc. is a progressive development agency that integrates state-of-the-art software paradigms, agile development culture, and global delivery centres with a largely remote employee structure. Headquartered in Calgary, Alberta Canada with Ryan Hnetka leading as the CEO, App Guys helps solve your business problems around the world using technology.

StaffingCall, Krowd, eMoodie

MVP Dev for Gaming Startup

"App Guys Inc. went out of their way to educate us, and in general, I would go have a beer with their team any day."

Oct. 2018 - Dec. 2017

App Guys Inc. delivered an MVP to test a business proposition and solicit investment capital. They developed a project map and fleshed-out scope, which were updated as work progressed.

Ed Kang
Chief Game Changer, YouEQ

The MVP unlocked fresh expansion opportunities including new investors, international openings, and a refined business case. App Guys Inc. was open to communicating through many different channels, which feeds into their relationship-centric work style – a calling card of their engagements.

I’m the co-founder of MDNA – my startup that was licensed by YouEQ, where I am now the Chief Game Changer. In this role, I’m responsible for developing train-your-brain games focusing on employees.

For what projects/services did your company hire App Guys Inc.?

We were looking for someone to help us launch our startup by building an MVP.

We were aiming to deploy a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) quickly to begin testing our business assumptions. The prototype would be shown to potential clients and investors.

We were introduced through a mutual business associate.

They provided a comprehensive road map that started with a detailed quote and several meetings to get to know the team and understand the scope of the project. A scope was provided with clear milestones, which were continually updated. App Guys also consulted with us on product development strategy.

We worked directly with a project manager, but also met other local team members such as a QA resource.

App Guys Inc. helped us manage our risk and validate our business model. We also were able to present a strong business case and technology stack to new clients, who, in turn, became investors. This project helped us open up new markets so we now have possibilities for global expansion. Most importantly, we have a strategic direction and enough data to make the best possible choices in the near future and beyond. Their advice and consultation was invaluable.

App Guys Inc. are highly detail and service oriented. They were waiting on us more than we did with them – always one step ahead. We continued to meet in person after the initial session, but communication was generally by phone and email.

We couldn’t believe their detailed knowledge of the industry. App Guys Inc. went out of their way to educate us, and in general, I would go have a beer with their team any day. They’re relationship driven to, so the trust is very high.

The experience was everything we expected and more.

Overall Score They're a growing company and are constantly improving. This project has been invaluable to us.
    They use the proper technology to maintain schedules, just as they should.
    They're worth every penny.
    I would use App Guys Inc. again, and I recommend them to everybody.
    I refer them any chance I get.

iOS & Android Dev for Consumer Loyalty App

“We've received nothing but positive feedback from partners and users alike.”

Dec. 2016 - Ongoing

App Guys designed and developed a mobile app for iOS and Android, allowing for barcode scanning on location at certain businesses. They continue to iterate and maintain the app.

Wes Henderson
Founder, Krowd

App Guys worked out additional kinks and features not previously considered, creating an app that exceeded expectations. Both partner businesses and users have expressed nothing but positive feedback and excitement for the app. Their customer-centric approach and accessibility sets them apart.

I'm the founder of the Krowd app, which connects customers to local businesses and discounts while visiting certain locations. Although similar to an app like Groupon, Krowd interacts with users through barcodes and collects consumer data in a unique way.

What challenge were you trying to address with App Guys?

I had already built a web-based application, but needed help creating the app for Krowd. Although one of our own programmers tried to get started on the code, it became apparent that we needed to hire a professional to take over the development.

We provided App Guys with some basic wireframes and requirements of the app and they built it from scratch for both iOS and Android. They incorporated features that allow customers to scan barcodes quickly, so users could easily put the app to work while in line at a particular business.

I mostly work directly with Ryan (CEO, App Guys) as well as one of his assistants. He also has a team of programmers working on our project.

How did you come to work with App Guys?

I had been researching app developers for a few months and the App Guys kept coming up in conversations. They came highly recommended by a few of their previous clients.

We've spent between $50,000–$100,000.

We've been working with them since December 2016 and they continue to maintain the app.

We've received nothing but positive feedback from partners and users alike. Although we expected our partners to be critical of the app, their own I.T. staff and team managers have been extremely happy with the outcome across the board. Excited and engaged, users have also provided positive feedback and have even made suggestions for additional features as they look towards the future.

How did App Guys perform from a project management standpoint?

They really know what they're doing and ask critical questions from the start. Professional and polite, they've been great about guiding me through some of the mistakes and unknowns of our app during its initial phases.

Communications are easy and organized. I can reach Ryan at almost any time, as well as one of the developers by reaching through their internal project management system.

They're on top of their game and know their industry well. They have the skills to build exactly what you want in an app. I also appreciate their high level of customer service—I can always reach someone when I have a question or concern.

No. I'm very happy with them. Their work is so good that I consider Ryan a friend.

Mobile App Dev for Youth Foundation

“What I find most impressive... is their honesty, approachability, and open and friendly attitude.”

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

App Guys expedited iOS and Android app development, beginning with discovery and moving on to design, development, and implementation. Now, they provide user support through a help desk system.

James Higgins
Founder, The Selfling Teen Support Foundation

Internal and external stakeholders alike appreciate the impact App Guys’ work has had in the community. The apps are virtually bug-free, and any problems are corrected quickly. The team’s customer-centric approach is typified by its communicativeness and its trustworthiness.

I am the founder of The Selfling Teen Support Foundation. Our mission is to build stronger connections between vulnerable teens and teen support agencies in their communities.

What challenge were you trying to address with App Guys?

We needed help fleshing out and developing our mobile app.

App Guys took our rough "sketches" and developed and designed an iOS app using Xcode and Swift. They also helped with Facebook integration and built out our website further. Users report bugs, fixes, or suggestions through a dedicated help desk.

My main point of contact was the App Guys' owner. We had a project lead for part of the development, and there were two consistent developers—one dedicated to iOS and the other Android.

How did you come to work with App Guys?

They were referred to me. After meeting with the owner, I saw that he believed in the project and decided to move forward with them.

As a nonprofit, what we’ve spent may not align with standard corporate businesses, but we have invested approximately $20,000.

We began working together November 2015, and are still working with them.

We’ve had mostly positive feedback from the users, both teens and community organizations. The app has had a hugely beneficial impact on the lives of many teens, and that wouldn’t have been possible without App Guys. Any suggestions that come from users are relatively small and actionable; App Guys take care of them quickly.

How did App Guys perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very accessible and transparent about their availability. I communicate with my team and the owner mainly through email. Users report bugs, fixes, or suggestions through a dedicated help desk.

What I find most impressive is also what led me to decide to use them: their honesty, approachability, and open and friendly attitude. I don’t have much experience in this field, so they had opportunities to take advantage of that through things like cost or schedule, but they didn’t do that. They recognized the value of the project and of a long–term client.

They could source more local talent.

Take advantage of how communicative they are. If there is something technical you don’t understand or part of the project that you want to be explained, they will take the time to help.