Mobile App Development and Beyond

We work with individuals, businesses, companies and entrepreneurs to execute ideas into successful concepts. Our team is leading across a wide spectrum of design, technical analyst, programming and marketing experts, tailoring individual app requirements to a sustainable solution with unlimited growth capacity into the future. From design to execution, we engage with our clients to understand their needs and the behaviours of their target audience to deliver a world class user experience.

Every app has a unique identity, purpose and is customized to align seamlessly with the user.

Brisbane, Australia
  • Level 8, 757 Ann St Fortitude Valley
    Brisbane, QLD 4006
    Australia

Thinkers, entrepreneurs, start-ups wishing to gain knowledge and understanding

Mobile App Development for Recovery App

"They’re always available, so if anything urgent happens they can work with us immediately."

Jun. 2018 - Ongoing

App Gurus developed a mobile app. They created the platform to be compatible with Android and iOS devices, and their support is ongoing.

Australia
Peter Travers
Owner, 4x4 InDistress

The app has earned a significant amount of downloads since its launch. Thus far, the platform has satisfied expectations and matches the original vision. App Gurus is dedicated to the project, ensuring they’re approachable and timely in the case of issues.

I’m the owner of 4X4 InDistress, a recovery app.

What challenge were you trying to address with App Gurus?

I needed to hire someone to develop my mobile app.

To start, I gave App Gurus a rundown of my requirements, and they responded with their outline. Their team built the cross-platform app for iOS and Android.

I worked with the two owners of App Gurus.

How did you come to work with App Gurus?

I searched online for app development companies. I chose App Gurus because they are close to my location.

We’ve spent $60,000.

We started working together in June 2018, and the project is ongoing.

We’re getting close to 20,000 downloads now. I’m satisfied with how they developed the app. Although we had a few problems at the beginning, I’m happy with everything they’ve done to get the app to where it’s at today.

How did App Gurus perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management style is good. We communicate by phone, in-person, and use Basecamp.

They’re always available, so if anything urgent happens they work with us immediately. Even if it’s 10 pm, I can send them a message.

There’s nothing to improve; I’m happy with everything they’ve done.

Be clear on what you want from the beginning. If you spend time explaining your idea, they’ll have a better understanding of the scope. We changed our ideas halfway through the project, which caused a delay. Knowing what we wanted at the start would have prevented that.

I received more expensive quotes from other companies.

App Development for Musical Education Tool

"I appreciate App Gurus' loyalty and understanding."

June 2014 - Ongoing

App Gurus collaborated to build an innovative software solution to teach math through pop music. Key features included strong UX, scrolling times tables, equation animations, and quizzes.

Sydney, Australia
Jo Otto
Founder, Maths Rockx

App Gurus offered strong interpersonal relationships that optimized the development process. The products have remained in the top positions of the education genre in the Apple Store.

Maths Rockx is an educational app that teaches times tables through pop/rock songs, from Lady Gaga to will.i.am and Pink. The app includes times tables, quizzes, a playlist feature, and a video showcasing it in action. It's the only app of this kind with copyrighted music in the world.

I am the director and owner of the company, along with my husband.

What business challenge were you trying to address with App Gurus?

We needed to find a company that would want to work with us and start the project before we obtained the royalties for our songs. We've had other challenges in terms of aesthetics and getting everything perfect inside the app, but the songs were our biggest challenge. Everything takes time to have an app ready for release; it is a lengthy process.

We started working with App Gurus six months before we obtained the rights to the songs in the app. One of our design challenges was making the times tables scroll up while the equations animated at precisely the right time. One of the biggest issues was color. I found out that I had to get more involved, as a client, since App Gurus' team couldn't read my mind. They suggested that I choose colors from an HTML palette, which allowed me to get exactly what I wanted.

I was a schoolteacher, so I had no idea about design and technology. It was a huge learning curve for me, but the development process quickened after I gained some experience.

App Gurus was very open to change if I didn't approve of a certain design, even if half the work had been done already. Even though there was some scope creep, App Gurus wasn't focused only on the money. Since they let us push the boundaries, we made it a point to pay our bills on time and demanded that App Gurus include any substantial add-ins. Not focusing on the money allowed us to have a more honest relationship with each other, which I found comforting.

How did you come to work with App Gurus?

I sent emails and called multiple app developers, including some large companies that demanded a lot of money. App Gurus' project manager got back to us and continued to stay in touch. He is also into music and liked our idea. I looked at a couple of apps developed by App Gurus, and thought their website looked beautiful. It was ultimately App Gurus' principal who got me through the door. I wanted to work with an Australian team and chose App Gurus, even though they're located in Brisbane and we're in Sidney.

The original cost was $12,000. We've done a lot of development since then, so the total is now between $50,000 and $100,000, not including royalty rights. App Gurus' cost was much lower than their competitors' because they wanted to give us an initial start and undertake improvements later on. I found that to be attractive, since others asked us for $40,000 from the start.

I first contacted App Gurus in February 2014. The development started in June, and the app was launched one year later. Six months later, we added a free quiz and a video to it. We're currently developing new features for the app in order to enhance it and keep our customers excited.

Apple has issues with family-sharing in-app purchases in any app. Since not everyone wanted or could afford to buy the entire times table, we wanted to cater for the parents who only bought three tables for $3, for example. We built another app six months after we went live to cater to sharing across devices. After this, we were catapulted to the number-one position in Australia through a single newspaper article and a video showcasing the app in action. We spent another $12,500 on song rights in order to showcase snippets of the app in this video. We underwent a lot of Facebook advertising through that video and remained within the top four positions, frequently being #1 within the education genre. We cleverly kept developing, making the app an awesome instrument for children, teachers, and parents.

How did App Gurus perform from a project management standpoint?

We lost our original project manager, who moved up in the company, so we ended up being managed by App Gurus' co-founder. This is great, given that he's a developer as well. We can shoot through messages in Basecamp whenever we want and have App Gurus get back to us. There are occasionally a few delays in communication, since we're not their only clients, but App Gurus has given us an itinerary with deadlines and kept us updated. Their principal is a very good listener and has left important decisions up to us, even though he gives us his own input. This makes for a great and trusting relationship.

My husband and I are very specific about testing; otherwise, we wouldn't launch a new version in the store. From this perspective, I like our testing/fixing procedure.

What distinguishes App Gurus from other providers?

I appreciate App Gurus' loyalty and understanding. We've formed a bond and trust with each other, and we respect each other's opinions. Online relationships have limitations, so it was nice to meet App Gurus' team in person and sit down with them.

Is there anything App Gurus could have improved or done differently?

I wish I was App Gurus' only client, but that’s about it. There have been a couple of bumps along the way. Because I was naive regarding the app world, I had too high expectations. I got over this after learning more about the field and understanding the development process as well as Apple's rules.

Do you have any recommendations for others considering working with App Gurus?

Developers are not mind readers, and everyone's interpretation of what a client asks is going to be different. We need to be 110% specific in stating what we want and how we want it. I would also create decent designs of what I wanted, which would make coders' jobs easier. The client needs to put in as much work as the developer.

We really appreciate all that they do for us.
    The end-product was always perfect.
    Just to keep them on their toes.

App Development for Travel & Blog Platform

"User feedback ... was definitely positive."

June 2014 - Mar. 2015

App Gurus designed and developed a user-friendly app that included features such as user-generated to-do lists, random suggestions from the database for users, and broad social media integration.

Sydney, Australia
Lisa Pagotto
Founder/Director, Crooked Compass

App Gurus listened to client needs and ensured any technical issues were resolved quickly. The cost was higher than expected, and there was a slight staffing mishap early on, but user responses have been good.

Crooked Compass organizes small group tours and customized tours with a focus on emerging destinations, as well as the lesser-known side of common destinations. The business also includes an app offering individual experiences for the more independent traveler, allowing them to find lesser-known experiences on the go.

I am the founder and director of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with App Gurus?

There are many people like myself who don't want to do the same things as the standard tourist would do and instead would rather see the destination through the eyes of the local. Finding those experiences can often be difficult, and the online information can be disjointed and not necessarily accurate. We wanted to create a platform which combined all that information in one place, allowing users to search for destinations and particular experiences and have everything brought to their fingertips. I was very much a beginner to building apps, so I needed someone to build my concept.

I wanted to build an “experience-of-the-day” popup, which would be shown when first opening the app. It would be a completely random experience that would be pulled from the database, in order to fuel inspiration and curiosity in people. This was one of the key features built by App Gurus. They also assisted with the design, making the app as user-friendly as possible and adding functionalities like a bucket list of experiences, which users could tick off once they'd completed them.

How did you come to work with App Gurus?

I had no idea of how to build an app, so I contacted as many developers as possible. I made the decision early on to keep the project in Australia so that I could pick up the phone in case of any questions. I tried to find someone who really understood my concept, without trying to manipulate it into fitting their own business better. App Gurus was able to do this, but also put in suggestions which resonated well with me.

How much have you invested with App Gurus?

Having no idea of how much an app would cost, I requested quotes from multiple companies, which were mainly within the same ballpark of $17,000 to $25,000. App Gurus sat somewhere in the middle, but there were initial functionalities that were discussed for which I was billed at a later time. I would have liked to have a bit more handholding and clearer explanation during the pricing stage, rather than find out that I'd have to pay an additional $6,000 after four months of work.

We started working with App Gurus in July 2014. The project was meant to launch by November, but we ended up launching it in March 2015.

I had some budget restraints when initially building the app, so it didn't have all the functionalities I wanted to include from the start.

I ran a six-month campaign after the initial launch, in order to get my brand out there. User feedback from people looking for that style of travel was definitely positive. I didn't receive any negative comments, aside from the app being a bit clunky, which was due to my budget constraints.

How did App Gurus perform from a project management standpoint?

App Gurus used a platform for keeping me in the loop with the progress. I could see when a new phase was being worked on, and I was in contact with two staff members from App Gurus for any questions.

When we initially scoped out the work, the timeframe was set for six months, but the project ended up taking 10. There was a bit of a staff changeover on App Gurus' side, and I felt that my project was pushed to the side a little bit. They've grown a bit since then, and have a bigger team. Overall, it was pretty good, except the hiccup I mentioned.

What did you find most impressive about App Gurus?

The fact that App Gurus took the time to understand what I was looking for in the initial stages is great. It was this approach that made me proceed with App Gurus. Since the launch, when we've had the odd technical difficulty and needed to call App Gurus, they've been proactive in fixing the issue and ensuring that it wouldn't occur again.

Are there any areas App Gurus could improve?

The project management issue I mentioned was largely due to a change of staff and is irrelevant at this point. In the early stages, because the work was so foreign to me, I would have appreciated having a more handheld approach during wireframing and costing phases.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with App Gurus?

In general, if the client is coming from the same background as myself, and has zero experience with technology, they need to ask as many questions as possible before signing or paying anything. Once someone's tied to a contract, it can become challenging. Even small things, like ensuring that they own the intellectual property for the code should be considered.

App Gurus' project management was a five in the beginning, after which it went down to a two.
    I got stung a bit on the cost.

App Development for SEO Company

"We never felt that we were dealing with sales people, but rather with a team that had a deep technical understanding."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

App Gurus built an app to improve communication between the client and their customers. They also integrated an AI element to make custom recommendations to users.

Queensland, Australia
General Manager, Get More Traffic

As a result of App Guru’s work, client engagement has increased 300% and net promoter score has increased by 10%. Client managers also report increased productivity due to optimized communication via the app.

GET MORE TRAFFIC is a full-service digital marketing company specializing in AdWords management. We essentially help small businesses to be found online, with a full suite of services including web development and SEO [search engine optimization]. We're based in Sydney, Australia, and have 700 active clients at the moment.

I am the general manager of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with App Gurus?

We had a bit of a challenge in terms of client communication. The feedback we were receiving was that it was hard for them to get in touch with us, with calls being on hold for significant amounts of time. The average was 53 seconds before a call was answered, and oftentimes the person they were looking to find wasn't available.

Our second issue was around time management, as our processes for getting back to clients weren't hugely efficient. A third challenge was reporting: clients felt that it wasn't personalized enough.

We met with App Gurus' team in order to discuss our challenges and determined that building an app for communication was a good solution. It would give clients multiple touch points, as well as have automated push notifications and other functionalities.

One of the things that App Gurus came up with, and which we hadn't thought about ourselves, was to potentially build the app as a self-service tool. We've integrated an API from one of our other software programs into the app, basically introducing some artificial intelligence into it for making recommendations. This offered us a new revenue stream, especially in the case of clients looking to leave our service.

How did you come to work with App Gurus?

We searched Google and found App Gurus. We liked the fact that they were a local company, which would allow us to meet face-to-face. We were sold from the first phone call with App Gurus' team. They were interested in our business, and we were able to speak to a person who knew what they were talking about, instead of a secretary. That made the process easier for us.

How much have you invested with App Gurus?

The cost of App Gurus' work has been around $20,000 per month. [Didn't mention currency]

We started working with App Gurus around March 2016. We continue to improve the app based on client feedback. The project will be ongoing for a number of years, as we further develop the self-service option.

Clients are mainly contacting us through the app at the moment. We've found that the engagement with weekly reports has increased massively, by about 300%. Clients receive reports directly through the app, rather than getting an email which would become lost in their inbox.

We measure client satisfaction through a net promoter score. From the app's launch, we saw a 10% increase in our score, over the next two cycles. That is a massive increase, considering that it had been steady over the last 6–8 months. We feel that this is directly attributed to clients' engagement with our app.

We've noticed an increase in productivity with our client managers, who can organize their days a lot better by having clients communicate through the app. We've also doubled our touch points with clients through the app, and we've decreased the number of phone calls, which has made our client managers' roles more efficient.

How did App Gurus perform from a project management standpoint?

App Gurus made the work easy for us. We were working on multiple projects at once on our end, so having a team that could take the lead and manage the project was helpful. On other projects we've done using outsourced companies, we found that we tended to be the ones initiating contact. We didn't have to do this with App Gurus, and the work was actually delivered earlier than expected.

App Gurus was never afraid to give us bad news; if a feature we requested was good, they went ahead and did it, but if App Gurus felt that it wouldn't work, they told us.

What did you find most impressive about App Gurus?

In the initial phases, App Gurus' approach was very collaborative. They weren't afraid to provide ideas and expand on what we wanted to deliver. We never felt that we were dealing with sales people, but rather with a team that had a deep technical understanding.

Are there any areas App Gurus could improve?

The work was easy and hands-off for us. Since it was our first app project, I don't have a basis for comparison. I can't find any faults with App Gurus, other than having more discussions around design.

The collaboration should be treated as a partnership. Having a constant back and forth process is very valuable. As we've seen through our own work, clients can become emotionally attached to a project, so the real value that App Gurus can provide is honest feedback. If they feel that something can be done better or needs to be dropped, clients should consider the advice.

There were a couple of initial delays, but App Gurus delivered ahead of schedule.