Web & Mobile Development

Our mission is helping people achieve great results in business with the help of attractive and suitable web and mobile app solutions. In cooperation with AMgrade, you’ll be able to automate your internal processes, create your web presence, business into online or launch a mobile app.

Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine
  • Zaporizhzhia
    Ukraine

Database and Tracker App for Hospital Research Trials

"They truly want clients to be happy with their work."

Dec. 2018 - Mar. 2019

AMgrade designed and built an app for both iOS and Android platforms that serves as a database and health tracker for cancer research trials. It includes security features, multiple users, statistics, and more.

1,001-5,000 Employees

Toronto, Canada
Ramy Saleh, MD, MSc, FRCPC
Medical Oncologist, Princess Margaret Cancer Center

The app has boosted overall efficiency by replacing all paper-based processes with various automated functions. Their adherence to deadlines and budgets and willingness to rework things until their clients are satisfied serves to show their commitment to producing top-notch results.

I'm a medical oncologist working in the top cancer hospital in Canada, the Princess Margaret Cancer Center.

For what projects/services did your company hire AMgrade?

We wanted to move to an electronic database and tracker for our cancer research trials and hired them for the project.

Firstly, we needed to create an online database and tracker that’s custom built from a medical perspective. We also needed the app to be built for both iOS and Android platforms and have the ability to provide us quick metrics to assess the workload.

We found them through a personal contact that had a great experience with them. We were looking for a company with a successful track record that we could have a long-term relationship with. From the moment we had the first call, I knew how professional they were.

They designed, built and help manage the electronic database and tracker for our cancer research trials. It includes features for allowing multiple users to go in, track, and update studies, and follow up with cancer patients throughout their treatment. It also has security access, an activity log, statistics with important metrics, and more.

We had a stable project manager during the project. Their CTO was also kind enough to give us amazing feedback on how to create our project. The team at AMgrade took their time to assess our needs before implementation to ensure efficiency and a great outcome.

Our launch was amazing. We’re now paperless and have more automated functions than ever before. The workload is also less given that the tracker increases our work efficiency.

AMgrade always respected the deadline and budget and went above and beyond to ensure the highest work quality. Communication was phenomenal and super fast.

They truly want clients to be happy with their work. When they realize some things do not add up or are not functioning as their client wants, they go back to their boards, think things through, and come back with great solutions.

There’s nothing they could improve that I can think of at the moment. I’m truly satisfied and happy.

iOS App Development for Bicycle Rental Company

"This app kickstarted our operation and received good feedback."

Aug. - Dec. 2018

AMgrade built a bilingual iOS app that tracked bicycles, sent notifications, managed user accounts, and stored usage data. The app also included a brief user tutorial.

Tokyo, Japan
Jad Saleh
Founder & CEO, Pedaru

The app worked perfectly, brought great publicity to the startup, and attracted potential investors. AMgrade set themselves apart through their transparent guidance, fast turnarounds, and meticulous organization. Their knowledge and expertise created a polished, professional product.

I'm the founder and CEO of Pedaru, a bicycle sharing startup. We share unused bicycles with users who need transportation over a short distance.

For what projects/services did your company hire AMgrade?

We hired AMgrade to develop our iOS mobile app, which enables our users to locate, unlock, and ride our bicycles.

They developed our mobile app and an admin panel that tracks user info, creates user accounts, sends push notifications, adds bicycles, adds parking spots, controls pricing information, and monitors ride and bicycle usage data.

We looked for vendors online, but another entrepreneur highly recommended AMgrade. They responded quickly to the introduction and made an offer.

The app included specific features, such as bicycle tracking capabilities and integrations with Google Maps, Stripe, and Facebook. An external resource created our designs, but we wanted to add extra screens and an explainer tutorial. AMgrade helped us fix our existing designs and create new ones. They also made the app bilingual for our English- and Japanese-speaking users.

The team consisted of a sales representative who compiled technical reports and provided cost and timeline estimates; a project manager who assigned tasks; and the designers and developers who did the leg work. The size of the team remained consistent. When our project manager took a vacation, the CTO took over her tasks and updated me every day.

The quality was great and everything worked well. This app kickstarted our operation, received good feedback, and showed tangible results to our existing and potential investors. It will definitely take our startup to the next level.

We used Slack, Skype, and WhatsApp to track tasks and keep our communication on point. Since everything was well-organized, we didn't have many issues with the language barrier or time difference. The app was released behind schedule, as texting took longer than expected, but that was acceptable.

They always made sure we were happy. This was our first app, so we didn't know how to write perfect technical documents. We worried about finding a trustworthy developer who understood our business while meeting our requirements and tight budgets. However, we always understood our tasks because they explained them in layman's terms. They kept the project on schedule and gave us valuable feedback about how we could make our application run smoother and look better.

Despite the app being behind schedule due to extra testing, they did their best every day.
    They met our budget, spent our money efficiently, and gave the best bang for our buck.
    The quality of the work was great and we've received nice reviews from our customers about the look and feel.
    We've already referred them to multiple friends and potential customers!

Web Dev for Consulting Agency

“All in all, I am impressed with the speed of their team — it’s a quality I hadn’t seen before in Germany.”

Aug. 2014 - Ongoing

AMgrade migrated a tourism portal from WordPress to Drupal. The team took an existing website design and redeveloped it on a new platform. They continue to optimize the site for newer devices.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Uwe Marschel
Partner, Maasmarschel

AMgrade’s main strength is speed, both in terms of delivery and response time. The team finds solutions quickly, which also reflects their technical expertise. Another highlight is that AMgrade’s team can converse in several languages, a plus when dealing with non-English clients.

I am one of the partners of a public consulting agency dealing with the affairs of large companies. Our company is based in Dusseldorf, Germany. We have a team size of up to 10 people. We handle project management for large engagements, as well as design, development, website conceptualization and public relations items like advertising. For example, we provide consultation on whether a website needs to be changed or redone. Often, we start the work using partners, one of them being AMgrade.

What challenge were you trying to address with AMgrade?

Our current work is for a tourist project focused on a specific rural region of Germany. It’s meant to increase interest in the tourist offerings in the area. The platform features stories written by journalists, a calendar of events, and tour offerings. It’s a new way of giving information to a peer group. Our team first developed a concept for the website using WordPress. However, we found that we had taken the wrong approach, so I contacted AMgrade.

AMgrade was in charge of changing and completely redeveloping certain frontend and backend modules based on our design. It was a reworking effort of an existing website, which had been in development for a few weeks. This made things more complicated. It’s better to start from the beginning, but it was not possible. We also made additional requests during the project. They gave suggestions when we asked for them, but we usually knew what we wanted in terms of content and design. We were always given an answer featuring 1–2 approaches.

We are currently in the process of upgrading the Drupal system and making it work better on newer devices. AMgrade’s team is dedicated to our project. While the developers are based in Ukraine, they also have 2–3 consultants working from Germany, including a project manager and a technical lead. They have a team of 90 developers and technical people, as well as marketing and design resources in Ukraine. I have access to them through my liaisons in Germany, which makes it easier for me to communicate since my English is not perfect.

How did you come to work with AMgrade?

I reached out to my community in order to find good Drupal developers, which we thought would be the right platform for the project. I received replies from companies all over the world. My first contact with AMgrade was an email response. They were also based in Germany. I immediately liked the tone of their email and website, as well as of our phone conversations later on. As a result, we discussed a very complex project with their management.

How much have you invested with AMgrade?

The cost of this project is $10,000–$15,000, split between several bills.

I believe we started working with AMgrade in August 2014. The project ended in April 2016. I have no reasons to discontinue working with them.

AMgrade renovated an old house with great effort, developing a large website that had not existed for its region. The quality was what I expected. The site worked reliably since its launch, but we have identified a need to make it responsive on newer mobile devices. I don’t have statistics for it because Google Analytics was implemented only a few months ago. We had no data before that time.

How did AMgrade perform from a project management standpoint?

The team works quickly, and they give us fast answers. We maintain communication through Google Docs, Skype, and email.

During the initial process, the timeline changed somewhat. That was partly because we didn’t supply some information in time. Everything was done in English and German.

What did you find most impressive about AMgrade?

All in all, I am impressed with the speed of their team — it’s a quality I hadn’t seen before in Germany. They give feedback quickly and put in a lot of effort to find answers and solutions. All of this was, and is, extraordinary.

I appreciate their technical know-how. I don’t understand anything about this process, but AMgrade always had a solution at hand. I have worked with a few developers in the past, and AMgrade’s service was better than anything I’d known until that time.

Are there any areas AMgrade could improve?

I’m not a technical advisor, so it’s not easy for me to say.

Overall Score The collaboration has improved since the start. I have contact with a German office and can talk to one of my peers.
    They are timely, and they always work fast.
    The cost is perfect for us.
    I always recommend AMgrade when someone asks me for a reference.

Ongoing Dev Support for Consultant

"From a development perspective, AMgrade has met deadlines and estimates."

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

AMgrade transformed a prototype into a fully operational site handling both frontend and backend tasks. Interfacing mostly with their developers, they continue to improve code, built features, and fix bugs.

Consultant

Owner, Web Development Consultancy

Unlike previous providers, AMgrade delivered nearly bug-free work, requiring minimal QA. They always try to outdo expectations despite time zone constraints and bring expertise and high quality to the table, keeping up with new technologies, thus making them one of the top Ukranian companies.

I am a consultant helping different companies build websites. I am the sole owner of the company, and I am based in New York.

What challenge were you trying to address with AMgrade?

As a consultant, I had a business need relating to my own company, and not those of clients. I started to build it myself with new technologies like ReactJS, AWS [Amazon Web Services], and Firebase. I completed a prototype but didn’t have enough time to finish it myself, so I hired AMgrade for help.

I needed to convert the working prototype into a full product, which required a lot more functionality and build time. I hired a couple of developers from AMgrade for this task. They started with frontend work on ReactJS, and improved some of my code, fixed bugs, and built a number of new features. I was satisfied with the work, so I also asked AMgrade to help with the backend tasks which are hosted on the AWS Lambda technology. They also built a number of features for that area.

How did you come to work with AMgrade?

I am from Ukraine, and AMgrade is a Ukrainian company. I have some links and relationships with the development community there, and someone recommended them to me. I did a project with AMgrade when I was working for another agency, and they provided great work. I tried different companies in Ukraine, but I was never fully satisfied in terms of quality. I have continued to use AMgrade since the initial project.

How much have you invested with AMgrade?

We have a monthly agreement, and the overall cost has been between $25,000 and $30,000.

I started working with AMgrade in September 2017. The collaboration is ongoing.

I am a developer myself and started my career as a QA [quality assurance] engineer working for other companies. When I received the results of the work, it made tests myself in order to see if everything was good. I was never satisfied with other providers because there were many bugs, and there was a lack of desire to create a feature in a good way. They could implement a task exactly as specified in the description, but didn’t try to understand what the client needed.

The number of bugs is very low with AMgrade’s work, and I haven’t spent as much time testing their deliverables compared to other companies. They’ve tried to deliver better results than what was asked. I like working with them because of these two aspects.

How did AMgrade perform from a project management standpoint?

We can work on a fixed price, project basis with AMgrade, delivering the full scope of work using project managers and QA testers, but I’ve mainly worked directly with the developers since I’m a developer myself. The estimates they provide are solid, and we can discuss why a task can take five days, rather than one. In most cases, I don’t have any issues with their justifications. From a development perspective, AMgrade has met deadlines and estimates in most cases.

I have a lot of experience working with remote teams, so I haven’t had a problem in this regard. I start my day around six or seven o’clock in the morning on New York time, when it’s the middle of the day in Ukraine. I have a chance to review what has been done so far, as well as provide comments and feedback which will be addressed by the end of the day. I receive finished results by 11 AM. I have also talked to developers from their homes, at 11 PM their time, which is 4 PM for me. Overall, the process works for me, and it’s simply one of the nuances of using a remote team. They won’t be available full time during local working hours, so I need to schedule my time around this. It can be a challenge to encounter a bug late in the afternoon after the working day has ended in Ukraine. Two or three hours in the morning, or even more, depending on how early I start, as well as additional availability over email and Skype later in the day, is pretty good for me.

What did you find most impressive about AMgrade?

For me, quality of work is important, and I feel that they’ve provided this as well as expertise. The technologies on my project are relatively new, and AMgrade has tried to stay on top of them.

Are there any areas AMgrade could improve?

There have been things which I needed to improve, but over time, I’ve gotten used to them.

The language difference is not relevant in my case since I speak Ukrainian. On one project, there was a need for one of AMgrade’s developers to speak directly to another one from the client’s side in English. That particular developer was not very good in terms of language skills. It also depends on the resources hired by the client, in terms of project management.

Overall Score I am fully satisfied.
    They always meet their estimates. I’ve tried to push more challenging dates, but AMgrade always explained clearly why something couldn’t be delivered as fast as I wanted. We’ve typically found a balance on estimates.
    Compared to other companies in Ukraine, AMgrade has higher hourly rates. But overall, they are a more affordable provider. I can hire someone for $5/hour to spend a month on the task, or someone for $50 who will spend a day. The quality is also better.
    I’ve tried other companies in Ukraine and always had problems. Now that I found AMgrade, I’ve stopped looking for someone else. I am completely satisfied with their quality.
    I have recommended AMgrade to a friend who is running a startup. Hopefully, they will get going on the project.