A Big Data and Platform-as-a-Service Specialist

Altoros is a big data and Platform-as-a-Service specialist that provides system integration for IaaS/cloud providers, software companies, and information-driven enterprises. Areas of expertise include Cloud Foundry, Hadoop, and NoSQL solutions, as well as Microsoft .NET, Java, Ruby on Rails, and mobile technologies.

Altoros played a key role in helping its customers create over $500M of enterprise value and raise $120M+ in venture funding from Accel Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Matrix Partners, North Bridge Venture Partners, Facebook Fund, Khosla Ventures, Greycroft Partners, BV Capital, Split Rock Partners, Sutter Hill Ventures, and First Round Capital.

Headquartered in Silicon Valley (Sunnyvale, California), Altoros has a sales office in Western Massachusetts, branch offices in Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, and UK, software development centers in Eastern Europe (Minsk, Belarus) and South America (Buenos Aires, Santa Fe, Argentina). Altoros is a member company of Belarus High Technology Park, a government-supported business environment for IT companies in Eastern Europe.

2001
Sunnyvale, CA
headquaters
  • Altoros Sunnyvale, CA 94085
    650.395.7002

Autodesk, Sony, RightScale, Couchbase, NuoDB, Joyent, Nephoscale

GRT Corporation Big Data Work

"They have a lot of data knowledge and their innovation is great."

The client is GRT Corporation, an IT services company that builds systems for many Fortune 50 clients. There was a need to enhance big data knowledge and capabilities. Altoros was selected to be an ongoing partner for many big data projects and initiatives. The work will continue for years and will likely grow in scope.

New York Metro Area
CTO, GRT Corporation

The client is extremely satisfied with the work delivered by Altoros. Altoros has very innovative thinkers that are leaders in the Big Data space. The client has no negatives to report. Altoros is highly recommended to others.

Please describe your company.

I work for GRT Corporation in New York. We provide business services to very large clients around IT services. Our clients include many well-known Fortune 50 firms.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the CTO here and have worked closely with Altoros.

What was your goal for the work with Altoros?

We have worked in Big Data as a company since 1995 so we are experts. However, there are still many things that we need to learn and holes we need to fill. We work with Altoros on an ongoing basis for their Big Data knowledge.

This work includes Hadoop warehouse projects and also consulting. We often need their help when we run into roadblocks. They can find the answers when nobody else can. Many times they have supplied answers to data problems that others couldn't find.

describe the scope of their work.

We have worked together as a team for more than two years. We always have between four and six of their employees working with us full time. They usually work on a variety of projects, but there are always multiple projects occurring at the same time. Sometimes, I break up projects into smaller pieces for them or just have them look at the big picture.

They are my go-to for innovative answers. There are many things that we need to learn from Altoros. When we are stuck, we ask them to find the best route to proceed. Sometimes, they work with Hadoop, but the details I cannot go into more. We have a NDA [non-disclosure agreement] with some major clients, so I don't want to give further information.

What was your process for selecting Altoros to work with?

I wasn't involved in the process completely, and I forgot some of the details. What I can tell you is that we chose them for several reasons. The first was their knowledge, but they also had a strong and stable team. I knew that their team was solid at the top, and the turnover was very low. I also thought their price was fair.

Can you give us a sense of the size of the initiative in dollar terms?

It is six figures, but I cannot give an exact amount.

When was the last project completed?

The work is ongoing and has no plans to stop. We don't really have milestones or any plans to wrap it up soon.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to share from the projects?

We have increased our capabilities sharply. Our clients are happy, and we can serve them better. I don't have concrete stats at the moment. The projects have been really successful. We have achieved our goals from clients. They understand data and have come through many times.

When working with them, what else is unique or special about Altoros compared to other IT firms?

They have a lot of data knowledge, and their innovation is great. They always find new ideas and tell me things that I never knew. They are stronger than most Big Data firms because they are finding revolutionary ways to harness the power of data.

Looking back, is there anything that you think Altoros could improve upon, or something that you think they could do differently?

No. There is nothing major.

I can't really blame them for any delays.
    They are not cheap, but they are a good value.
    They are great.
    Very likely.

e-Commerce Firm Big Data Infrastructure

"They have performed exceptionally. I do not have any major issues with them."

The client is an Ecommerce firm based in the United States. There was a need to harness and organize the ever-growing amounts of data that the firms was accumulating. Altoros was selected to handle the big data warehousing work from start to finish. Altoros has designed a solution, helped run the system, and currently handles maintenance and small changes.

Austin, Texas
VP of IT, Ecommerce Firm

The client is extremely satisfied with the work delivered by Altoros. Altoros' team is very competent and able to complete all tasks on time and on budget. The client has no negatives to report. Altoros is highly recommended to others.

Please describe your company.

We are a video e-commerce media company based in Texas. We have been in business since 2007, and we have more than 150 employees.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I’m the vice president of IT [information technology].

What was your goal for working with Altoros?

It was a data warehousing project. We have a large number of databases and information in them. We needed to develop a complete, beginning-to-end solution for our data warehouse, from gathering to reporting.

They were involved in the whole process. They were given tasks that needed a solution. They researched our environment. They proposed several solutions, and we chose a solution that we both liked, and we went with it.

The overarching goal of this data warehouse is to help our business intelligence and to help drive new sales and revenue, plus more. The clients are self-managed and are able to create their own accounts. We are signing deals with more partners outside the system so we need to determine everything they are doing. It is based on their data warehouse projects.

What was your process for selecting Altoros?

They were one of three contracting organizations that we talked to, and the same information was shared between the three. We looked at the solutions that came out of the project, and we chose Altoros based on that output.

We are still working with Altoros. They’re working on maintenance and minor changes to the solution. We went from the design stages to the implementation to maintenance. Altoros has been with us for more than two years now.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

The work will never be finished as long as we're working with each other. A data warehouse is an ongoing project. There is more data coming in every time. We discovered that our sources are needed for financial or business reasons, and they're there to help us.

Do you feel that Hadoop is an adequate solution for your company?

We are not using only Hadoop, but yes. So far, it is providing enough data. We haven’t discovered data that is not in the data warehouse yet.

How has Altoros performed so far?

They have performed exceptionally. I do not have any major issues with them. They perform tasks on time and correctly, based on estimates they provide. I cannot say anything negative about the people that I work with.

Sometimes, it's hard to work with any outsourced company. Sometimes, there is a language barrier, and there may be something else. Out of the companies that I have discussed outside projects with, Altoros was the best.

They can charge us less. There aren't any weak points in their work. They were not the cheapest in comparison to the other companies but, in terms of the product they produce, they were the best.

I am very likely to recommend them, and I have already recommended them.