Never Pay for Unproductive Work

Allshore Virtual Staffing was founded in September 2009 by entrepreneur, Randall Agee. Randall was inspired by his own experience with offshore outsourcing when he was working as a development staffer. When a project came in requiring skills that nobody on staff possessed, Randall looked for help overseas where he found a great developer marred by layers of red tape and faulty processes—the end product was great, but the journey was rough.

This experience showed him the incredible potential offshoring had that was not yet being utilized. Randall first entered into this industry as a client, and this experience is largely what has allowed him to create such a uniquely tailored model of outsourcing: he simply built the offshoring experience he wished had been available when he himself was outsourcing. Allshore is not just a company that values customer service, it was built on it.

Norman, OK
  • Allshore Virtual Staffing
    1818 W. Lindsey Street Suite C-100
    Norman, OK 73069
    888.326.5611

Design and Development for CRM Software Firm

"A lot of the reason we’ve been able to grow is their ability to meet our needs."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Dec. 2011 - Ongoing

Allshore augments a software team for services like frontend/backend development, support, hosting, and quality control. They also lead efforts using .NET, Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce, Azure, and Power BI.

Kansas City Metro Area
Director of Sales and Marketing, CRM Software Firm

Allshore is professional and efficient, whether recruiting developers, allocating resources, or doing development for startups or Fortune 500s. They’re reliable with deadlines, and have allowed the internal team to grow and scale. With a set goal and timeline, they can exceed expectations.

We are a management consulting company that specializes in customer experience. We build CRMs, custom application development, and contact center technology. I am the vice president of sales and marketing

What challenge were you trying to address with Allshore?

In the types of projects that we seek out, having a partner like Allshore allows us to provide a quality product, in terms of backend and frontend code, while giving our clients a better cost per hour for development. We’re using these great resources who are really part of our team, but they come to us at a lower rate. In turn, that makes us ultimately scalable as a company.

We have used Allshore for design, frontend development, backend development, support, hosting, and for quality control. In our model, we have a team of senior-level consultants and a team of consultants. They all serve as project managers and business analysts. In-house, we have a CTO, an architect, and a cloud director. Our team manages the day-to-day, but our primary development team is the Allshore team. We use them for .NET, Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce, Azure, and Power BI.

How did you come to work with Allshore?

Allshore has a great process of sourcing and recruiting great developers. They keep a bench because they know how often their clients are going to need a new developer. They stay in tune with our business needs. Typically, when we need a new .NET developer, or a Dynamics developer, we’ll give them a heads up. They may have a senior developer rolling off another project, or one that’s available who they just on-boarded. If they don’t have those resources already, they’ll go and do a custom hire, which has been helpful. If we give them about a 60-day notice, they find and on-board the person in time for us to get started.

How much have you invested with Allshore?

I think we employ around 40 of their developers, at an average cost of $22 per person. It’s in the range of $500,000 a year.

We’ve been with them for a little over five years, since either 2011 or 2012, and our relationship is ongoing. A lot of the reason we’ve been able to grow is their ability to meet our needs.

The types of clients we serve can range from startups, all the way up to Fortune 500 companies. Demands are different between those two types of businesses. We’ve had the same level of success in delivering a solution at the end of a project whether it’s a startup or a Fortune 500 company. That says a lot about the process used in Allshore’s development, to ensure requirements are met and delivered on a timely basis.

Some of our clients hold very strict quality criteria. If we don’t have a 95% or better code quality level, our company will get docked those hours, causing us to lose revenue. That hasn’t happened since I’ve been here.

What did you find most impressive about Allshore?

There are a couple unique qualities of their service model. They are offshore resources that work U.S. hours, and that’s huge. That’s the biggest value they provide. They supply a relationship manager and a technical lead on every single account. Regardless of how many developers we have, every single one of them has an assigned relationship manager and technical lead. That frees us up from having to monitor the day-to-day or hour-to-hour, so we can focus on delivering great products.

Are there any areas Allshore could improve?

No. We’ve worked with other offshore models, and researched even more. Allshore is the best we’ve found by far.

Any advice or suggestions for other clients to be successful?

The one thing I would suggest is to have a project manager or business analyst from your company to manage the development. That’s key in our success. The developers want to please their clients, and they’re going to build whatever you ask them to build. If you’re not providing requirements and solid direction, the train can get off the tracks. For future clients, having someone assigned to really help in that relationship is going to be key.

We’ve kept them around for over five years because we are perfectly satisfied with the product they deliver.

Vacation Rental Mobile Application and Website

"They are very competitively priced, but have the communication benefits that onshore teams offer. Allshore offers the best of both worlds."

Allshore Virtual Staffing updated a Joomla-based website with more interactive and responsive features. The team improved the website’s advertising and user experience.

CEO, Vacation Rental Company

The new website has modernized the historically manual process of vacation rental. Allshore Virtual Staffing utilizes both onshore and offshore resources for project management. The team is competitively priced, but provides the communication benefits of onshore companies.

[Our company] is a vacation rental management company operating in 15-plus locations in U.S. and Mexican vacation destinations. I am the CEO.

We are a technology-focused company that brings technology to what is historically a manual process of renting a vacation property. We use sites to advertise our properties, but we want the same type of user experience when our guests visit our site, too.

This project involved updating our Joomla-based website with much better interactive and responsive features found on sites.

I have used offshore development both in my career as an IBM manager and in my new company. The Allshore approach of onshore and offshore works best for me by far.

Software Firm Outsourced Development

"Allshore is essential to our work."

Allshore was initially contracted to augment an onshore team in application development and support.  The team is now the main developers in a working relationship that has lasted over 5 years.

Salt Lake Metro Area
CTO, Sirius Technology Group

Allshore has done a great job, resulting in the elimination of onshore developers. Each team is chosen specifically for each project and works east coast hours, which is better than other offshore firms. While they do not have an American business culture, Allshore is highly recommended.

Please describe your company.

We are a small company that has a software application that targets insurance contract administrators. We have some other products as well, such as a reporting product that targets car dealers. Our customers, the insurance administrators, are servicing insurance products that are used by car dealers.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am a partner in the company. I’m responsible for the technical aspects of the company. You can call me the CTO. I have two other partners who started the company about 12 years ago. We're based in Murray, Utah. I’m in the Dallas area, but everyone else is in Utah.

What was your goal for working with Allshore Virtual Staffing?

We had onshore developers and decided to augment our development staff with offshore resources. We looked at a number of offshore options, and some of the things that Allshore does, like working our hours and proving project managers that are included with our developers. We chose to go with Allshore. Since then, we’ve eliminated most of our onshore developers and exclusively use offshore talent.

We're only using them for development and application support. There are some customer support functions that they’re involved with, but they don’t interface directly with our customers. We use their expertise with our application in customer support roles.

We have no plans to stop working with Allshore. We have multiple developers, and we plan on continuing to use them as long as we continue to develop our application, which has no end in sight. That is the livelihood of our company, and we depend on that to be able to continue in business.

It's somewhat of a partner relationship. Allshore is essential to our work. Formally, the relationship is customer-vendor, but we are dependent on them. Yes, we could get it done without them. If I had to, I could go onshore again, but we really like the relationship we have with them and the way it all works.

What was your process for selecting Allshore Virtual Staffing with which to work?

I looked at a number of offshore firms. I had used some different offshore companies in other ventures that I’ve been involved in. I made a decision to go with Allshore Global, and I had experience with them with another entity. I had been involved in the project and liked the way they worked. Compared to the previous offshore experiences I'd had with other firms, I found that to be more of what I was interested in.

We typically carry between two to three full-time developers. We're not a big company.

We work with Allshore in a very organized and cautious manner. They supply resumes and references for new developers on their team, and we conduct interviews and ask questions to choose who works with us. The developer starts working as a probationary employee.

We’ve had a relationship with Allshore for five or six years. I’ve had a couple of extremely solid people with strong leadership and strong development skills. If they were in the U.S., I would be happy to hire them. That hasn’t been true of all the developers, but I don’t blame that on Allshore. That is true of any new hire; some of them work out and some of them don’t. The vast majority of them have been excellent although we’ve had a couple that didn’t work out for us and were replaced.

I’ve had a better experience with developers from Allshore than with local American developers. In the U.S., I get the impression that there are some people who put technology on their resume, but what they really did was to read a book about the subject. Allshore developers all have practical knowledge in their fields.

I don’t know that this is anything that Allshore can do anything about, but comparing them to local developers, there is a bit of a barrier in terms of culture. I haven’t had many issues with communication because one of the key traits we look for is strong English communication skills. We haven’t had any major issues to note.

Most of them have worked on U.S.-based projects before. Having them understand our business model is important. We conduct training courses with them to introduce American business culture and work style. It hadn’t been a big issue, but it's still something that we wouldn't have to deal with if hired only American employees.

I don’t normally give out fives, so you have to be outstanding to get a five.
    I recommend them all the time. We were one of their earliest clients, and we've seen them grow. The relationship we’ve had has continued to work, especially with our developers.

Canonball Digital Ad Agency Development Partnership

"Compared to every other outsourcing company I've ever dealt with, I'd say they're a 10. They are, bar none, better than everybody else I’ve used."

Jan. 2013 - Ongoing

Allshore augmented development capabilities for a digital ad agency. They developed client websites, building complex back-end components and assisting with design when necessary. The collaboration is ongoing.

Dallas Metro Area
Jon S.
Founder, Canonball Creative

Allshore has developed 15-20 separate websites, and end users have been very satisfied with the work. Each developer is responsible for direct communication, which creates transparency and accountability. The Allshore team far exceeds the industry norm.

Please describe your company.

We're a digital ad agency based in Dallas, Texas. We use Allshore for development for client websites and online projects as well as our own internal online projects.

I am the founder.

What was your goal for working with Allshore?

They definitely expand our capabilities into more of the heavy back-end components of the projects that we do. We wanted a long-term partner to improve our development capabilities to serve our clients better.

In addition to back-end coding, they do front end as well. From a front-end perspective, they extend our team. We have the front-end development built internally as well, and they help us with that when needed.

What was your process for selecting Allshore with which to work?

I used different outsourcing companies for the last three years. A friend of mine had met with one of their salespeople and gave him my name, saying that I might be interested. I met with him through the cold call from their sales rep. I interviewed them and started working with them in January or February of 2013.

I have no plans to stop the engagement at this time. I have three full-time people on our engagement, and we treat them like an extension of our team. We don’t treat them like an outsourcing component at all. We're in constant contact with them every day throughout the day. We treat them as an extension of our team.

My team has had up to nine part-time and full-time developers. That scales with my workflow. The lowest I’ve had has been three people, which is where we stay in slower months. The hours typically range from 25 to 40 hours a week per developer.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

I don’t have any stats to share. Ninety percent of the work that we do is straight Web development and websites. Most of the time, the designs are handed to us from a different company. Then we come in and do the back-end build out. We have successfully launched projects since we’ve been working with them. We probably have 15 or 20 successful launches since they came on board. As far as hard data, I don’t know what the statistics look like. We are absolutely satisfied, and my end clients are absolutely satisfied.

They don’t compare to other outsourcing companies. Hands down, this has been the absolute best experience I’ve ever had with outsourcing, and I’ve used several different companies through the years: The way they manage their team, the way that they stand behind their product is amazing. The overseas team adapts to our needs. The constant communication, and the transparency that they provide are great. With most outsourcing companies that I’ve worked with, you traditionally get a team leader, who gets all the project details and goes back to their team. The project manager is usually the only point of contact, and you never know who's working on your project, or the level of skill of person working on your project. You don’t know what’s really going on in the background.

However, with Allshore, you’re in direct communication with the person who is doing the work. You’re talking to them daily, and you know exactly where your projects are because you’re responsible for managing those projects. For me, there is no comparison. You can’t really compare the two. I will never go back to the way that I was doing it before.

Their work is 10 times better than any other competitors that I’ve used. The integration, the level of communication between the developers and us can always be improved. Obviously, the goal of outsourcing is to replace an internal team. Replacing that person who sits next to you is very hard to do, especially when you're using people who are foreign to the American work culture. That is the one thing that they could work on more, but bar none, they do it better than all the other agencies I’ve used. They put their people through at least two different testing scenarios, written and verbal. The people on my team all speak very clearly and communicate very well. It's mostly the cultural differences that cause minor hiccups.

Compared to every other outsourcing company I've ever dealt with, I'd say they're a 10. They are, bar none, better than everybody else I’ve used.
    I recommend them constantly. I try not to do it to my direct competitors, but I have recommended them to friends and people not in my industry who can use their services.

DWM Software Firm Outsourced Development Partnership

"They have the process nailed down to a science."

Allshore provides code for various programming projects. The team works on an as needed basis, often working on multiple projects simultaneously.

Philadelphia Metro Area
CEO, DWM Software

Even though Allshore is an offshore company, their developers work east coast hours, making communication easy. All code has been well written and thoroughly documented, and each member of the team is accountable. Very highly recommended for accountability.

Please describe your company.

We are a software development house, and we focus on working with marketing agencies or any sort of client to handle their outsourced programming needs. We jump in on projects, do projects start to finish, and work with any Web technologies, such as mobile apps, digital signage, and kiosk design. Pretty much anything related to creative technologies.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the owner and CEO. We don’t have a huge staff or a large development team. I manage all the developers and work on all the new business development and day-to-day operations.

Allshore does all development. We give them the specs, and I manage the project end to end with the developer or developers on the project. There is no support or training involved at all. They will maintain the code, but they do not support the users or anything like that.

I worked with a few of the developers on another project that I was part of, but I wasn’t the owner of it. When that project shut down, I picked up the developers that were let go and started using Allshore because I was so happy with the outcome.

Can you provide an estimate for the size of the work that they’ve done for you?

Most of our projects are six to 10 weeks on average. Some are a few weeks or a month. It can be sporadic.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

I have ongoing work with Allshore, so there is no last project. I’m currently working with them.

Can you assess Allshore Virtual Staffing's performance?

Allshore's work is high quality, and they are detailed. They are educated, and they communicate well, with excellent command of the English language. They document their code. I haven’t found any downsides to their team at all. The performance has been great.

They are very accountable. I’ve worked with offshore development before, and their schedules can be unpredictable. The fact that Allshore works U.S. hours, Eastern time zone hours, 8 to 4, is extremely helpful. I don’t have to be up at 3 a.m. to manage the team. They accommodate the U.S. development cycle nicely.

No. I don’t have anything I would change. They have the process nailed down to a science. They keep the people who aren’t doing the job out of the client pool, and they don’t put up with anyone who’s not performing. It's never been an issue.

Other than client slippage, they're always on time...no one's perfect on timing.
    The budget always comes in where I expect it to.
    The work is always good, and I’m a programmer as well, so I have a good understanding of what the work should look like.
    I would definitely recommend using them.

Accounting Software Company .NET Development

"I have recommended them on numerous occasions."

Allshore Virtual Staffing is a permanent development partner on a software conversion project. They are converting an accounting system from a legacy system to .NET. They convert and test each line of code

Dallas Metro Area
IT Manager, Accounting Software Firm

Allshore resources work tirelessly to get the job done. Whether it’s for long-term projects or one-off gigs, they pull through no matter the deadline. Their local resource contributes to rapid response time, and the Allshore team collaborated effortlessly to produce results.

Please describe your company.

We make software for financial institutions in the accounting realm, such as banks, trust companies, and so on.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the IT manager and one of the developers.

What was your goal for working with Allshore Virtual Staffing?

We are still working on it. They help us convert an older application from VB6 [Visual Basic 6.0] to .NET. We have lots of applications.

Allshore provides backend coding. We spec it out, and they punch it out.

We are in a development environment, and an industry consultant that we’ve known for years led us to them. He had been using them for a number of years and had great success with them. We reached out to Allshore and vetted them. We started with a small project and have grown from there. We have worked with them since 2011.

This is a massive project. They are converting an accounting application from VB6  to .NET. They have to convert and test each component, line by line. They have to make sure the application still works the same way. We had started the project internally and then went with them. We estimated that it would take 1,500 to 1,600 hours on their end. That was an optimistic estimate, with no issues. Obviously, there will be issues and we had to train them.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

The work will be ongoing. It's a permanent developer relationship, not just a single project.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

We also sent them smaller projects, such as a quick application for a prospect that we're seeking. We'll take them off the main project and ask them to work on another project in the meantime. They’ve been able to complete our other projects pretty quickly. It's good to see those kinds of results. We had a two- or three-week deadline to make a spec project that we pitched to a customer to add on to our main system. From me designing it to them working on it, we both worked days and nights. We were able to work together fluidly to complete the project effectively.

Their uniqueness is their Oklahoma office. Having that resource there is unique and advantageous to have. Without that office here, you don’t really have a course of action if you had an issue. With offshore, you have a problem with accountability. If an issue is not addressed by the developer or an immediate manager, you can call the Oklahoma office, and they will take action. It improves communication and accountability.

Allshore is very good at finishing the code like worker bees. Looking back, it would be good to have more architectural looks at the code. I’m not a .NET developer, but I have learned it. Someone who is fluent in .NET and has been working with it for a long time, and who knows architectural features should be implemented would be beneficial. More agile development would be good if we wanted to develop it. I would love for them to take the lead in modeling and helping us get to that point.

We’ve never had an estimate because we knew that we would be doing this for the long haul. Cost-wise, they are very readable for the skill set...We're getting a team that they can tap into for resources...Allshore has internal assistance,and that helps...
    I have recommended them on numerous occasions.

Surfer Network Web and Mobile Application Development

"When they’re done, it usually ends up working exactly like we wanted it."

Allshore developed various applications to enhance streaming. Allshore has developed web applications and provided several mobile apps in an ongoing relationship.

New York City Metro Area
Project Manager, Surfer Network

Allshore has perpetually present customer service during east coast working hours. The team is always available for questions, issues, scheduling, etc. The only difficulty is in translating how each project interacts with the rest of the company’s software. Allshore is highly recommended.

Please describe your company.

SurferNETWORK is a streaming provider, so our primary customer base is radio stations. We provide the stream, the Web player apps, and all the backend software that they need to manage the streams, find out how many listeners they have and so on. We provide soup to nuts for everything a radio station would want for being online including advertising opportunities and other things like that. We also do other kinds of broadcasts, such as high school sports, video, and other content. The radio stations are our clients.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the project manager. I keep track of all the tasks we have to do. I hand them out to whoever is best suited to do them as well as tech support and other tech-side tasks.

What was your goal for working with Allshore Virtual Staffing?

We found that for the amount of money we would have to pay for someone to come in to work full time, we wouldn’t have been able to get the amount of work done as compared to having three or four people working on a project. We also have a small office, and we don’t have room for a lot of other people. Having someone working outside our office was good for us. It made sense to look outside for specific talents and have more people able to work on our projects.

Allshore does not do any training or support. They mostly do all Web application development. We have someone who does mobile applications for us, for iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry. They mostly do all Web applications.

I Googled a lot of different vendors of this type. We had also worked with other companies that had a slightly different business model, such as oDesk, where you post a job and wait for someone to find it. Those tended to be unreliable. For instance, you would have a contractor who also has a full-time job and he's helping you at night. If his kid gets sick, he can’t help you anymore.

It was very difficult to find someone who was reliable and could spend the amount of time we needed, and for the duration of time that we needed on a site like oDesk. We started looking for somebody who could be more full time. We ran into a lot of problems, especially with communication. We talked to a lot of companies where you couldn’t even understand the salesperson, let alone the developers. Allshore was good because they handle everything. They give the developers all of their HR information. They’re in the chat rooms when we're working. It is like an extra layer of insurance that the people who are working are taken care of and that they will have enough time to work with you. This is their actual job.

The U.S. team is always present in the Skype chat rooms. We're on Skype with them all day, from the time we come in until they leave. They leave about an hour before we leave. We literally talk to them all day. The U.S. team is always in there. We talk to them pretty frequently, too. They are the point of contact for questions, issues, scheduling, or anything like that. We don’t need to talk to them so much about the projects. We talk to them more about the management or random issues. They’re always there if we need them.

That is a difficult question. It depends on what the project is. The person doing our apps can do one in a day. That’s pretty fast. We had another person write an entire website that our customers could log into to design their Web players and get listener statistics. That took him months, it was a giant project. That is dependent on the project that we assign to each person.

When was the latest milestone completed for that work?

When we started, we had a huge list of projects that was four or five pages of ideas, projects, fixes, and changes to all of our different software applications that we wanted. We have been working our way through the list, so it's not specifically timed. We're just working our way through the list. As you know, with a technology company, things are added to the list constantly. We'll keep working with them until we're at a point where we don’t need as many people.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

Everything that we give them, we tend to define very specifically what we need in the app or other project, such as needing a check box in a certain place. When they’re done, it usually ends up working exactly like we wanted it. Our people are almost always happy with it, and it improves efficiency because we designed it that way. There have been a few times where we give them a project and ask them to figure it out on their own and come back with it. They’re on Skype with us all day long. Overall, it's fairly seamless.

We haven’t worked with anybody like them at all, so it's hard to say. When you work with people from oDesk, that is the completely opposite experience. Allshore has people who are in the chat room all the time; you can’t get much better than that. Customer service is a strength as is the way they handle all the backend work. They send us a bill, and we pay it. We don’t have to do anything else. We don’t have to worry about their schedules, counting their hours, or anything like that, which we had to do with everyone else. Because there is always somebody there, there is always someone who is accountable. They put up status messages; we can look at their computer screens if we want to. The average person on oDesk is not going to be happy if you jump on their computer and start watching.

Overall, they have performed very well. The only issue that we’ve seen could be because how we micromanage the project. They are sometimes worried about doing something that we don’t tell them to do. If we forget a step, such as if we forget to say that a checkbox should be mandatory, they’ll come back and say that they didn’t make it mandatory because we didn’t specify that, but I thought it should be.

Sometimes, they don’t take the initiative that a regular employee would probably take. But, it's probably a lot harder for them to understand the effects of how everything works together. When we give them a huge project, they don’t know how it interacts with the rest of our software. Sometimes, they don’t know that the checkbox is mandatory, whereas a regular employee in our office would know that.

Because our business is so specialized, these issues are things that the average developer wouldn’t know. I think the issues that we run into are related to the specific qualities of our business. The customer service people are awesome. They don’t need to change anything there.

I’ve already recommended them to a few people.