healthcare marketing

Activate Health is a boutique advertising agency serving clients in the health and health technology industries. Our services including public relations, content marketing, advertising, video production and digital media services. Our leaders have decades of experience in corporate marketing and healthcare-focused advertising agencies. As a result, our understanding of this industry is unmatched.

Our clients include leading health plans, health systems, mobile health providers, specialty pharmacies and health technology firms.

Nashville,
  • Nashville
  • Phoenix
  • Portland, OR 97205

Avella Specialty Pharmacy, LTCG, Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, Cambia, AXIS Accident & Health, Innovative Health

Tradeshow booth for an insurance administrator

This tradeshow booth was created to serve as a modular display environment and is currently used at a variety of conferences within the long term care and life insurance industries.

Regence BlueCross Member Engagement Campaign

We created a comprehensive marketing plan, fulfillment guide, infographic, social media strategy and direct mail/email outreach to educate plan members about the cost and quality implications of their healthcare decisions.

Health plan member flyer

Activate Health created an entire engagement toolkit targeting health plan members which included digital marketing, content marketing, social media and other traditional marketing tactics. Health insurers will ultimately cobrand these materials and distribute to large group customers in their local and national markets. This particular creative concept was executed across all mediums and was aimed at promoting financial incentives for pregnant members who selected hospitals in the company's "Rewards" program.

Public Relations & Marketing for Wellness Company

"Their insight was valuable and the reason I would lean on them in the future."

July - Sept. 2018

As part of a marketing campaign, Activate Health developed digital infographics and 30- to 45-second animated videos to be posted online and to social media accounts.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Director of Marketing, Wellness Company

Because of their familiarity with the wellness industry, Activate Health proved to be an ideal partner and delivered strong marketing materials. With an organized and attentive team, project management was never a concern. They made effective use of their time and met each development deadline.

We are a wellness company that has developed a smartphone application to record a person's sleep breathing to discern their level of risk for obstructive sleep apnea. I am the director of marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Activate Health?

As a startup company looking to enter the wellness marketspace, we needed assets that would help deliver our message and product to the space. We reached out to Activate Health to create those assets to display on our website and social media accounts.

Our biggest challenge is that we’re combating the mattress industry, which spends a tremendous amount of money each year telling people the key to a good night’s sleep is a comfortable mattress and being on the mattress for a specific amount of time. Our paradigm is that no matter the mattress or the time spent on it, if somebody has poor sleep breathing habits, a good night’s sleep is not likely. Our assets needed to convey the message that obstructive sleep apnea is treatable, and it is just as important to monitor as regular exercise or managing diabetes.

To help distribute our message, Activate Health produced a series of infographics for display on our website and social media accounts. Additionally, the same information included in those graphics has been implemented in 30- to 45-second animated movies.

I worked primarily with the owner.

How did you come to work with Activate Health?

I had worked with the owner’s husband at a previous job, and once she opened her own company, I had an opportunity with this startup to work with her. I was familiar with her background in healthcare and wellness, and I knew she would understand my goals and help build my brand.

We have been quoted at around $21,000.

Our engagement began in July 2018. The bulk of the work was completed in August, but the animated videos were delivered in September.

We haven’t deployed the full campaign yet, but we are very happy with the concepts and test materials they have produced for us to this point.

How did Activate Health perform from a project management standpoint?

I could tell they were dedicated to the project. After our initial meeting about my objectives, they returned a week later with a statement of work and a project outline as to when deliverables would be ready. They met every one of their scheduling targets. Activate Health was in constant contact with me, letting me know the status of the project. They adapted well to my working schedule in a different time zone. Usually, if there was any delay, it was my doing because I didn’t provide feedback in a timely manner. Overall, their handling of the project was professional and on time.

Their knowledge of health and wellness was their key competency. Their insight was valuable and the reason I would lean on them in the future.

No, everything ran very smoothly. I can’t recommend any areas for improvement.

Overall Score We had a successful engagement.
    They stuck to the timeline we agreed to.
    You'll likely pay less elsewhere, but the quality of Activate Health's work is worth this cost.
    They delivered exactly what we outlined in the scope.
    I would definitely recommend them.

Public Relations for Medical Device Company

“They accommodate the unique way I want to work with the press.”

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

Activate Health assists a small medical device company with press to disrupt the industry. They pitch stories to the trade press and ensure that they get published.

Phoenix, Arizona
Lars Thording
VP of Marketing & Public Affairs, Innovative Health

Activate Health contributes to highly successful press campaigns and are willing to work within particular specifications. They value time spent and help find creative solutions to the task at hand.

We are a young start-up that is trying to disrupt the medical device community. I am the vice president of marketing and public affairs.

What challenge were you trying to address with Activate Health?

We wanted to bring hospitals’ attention to reprocessing opportunities for single-use devices.

The medical device industry uses specific trade media to target healthcare providers. There is hardly any discourse in public media around our industry, though we’re trying to change that. We speak about the challenges hospitals face and how reprocessing medical devices can help. We’re working together to pose an alternative to large manufacturer dominance and laid out a media plan that has several pitch ideas for various trade journals. We connect to work on getting my articles published, which typically happens on a monthly basis.

I am the direct contact with Activate Help and work with Sarah McLeod.

How did you come to work with Activate Health?

I worked with them in a former position. I inherited them when I came into that post and did a search for potential replacements. None of the other agencies I considered could meet my conditions as well as Activate Health could. I am very involved in press activities and like to write a lot of my own content. They were willing to work with me and follow a structure I needed.

We’ve spent $45,000–$50,000.

Our current engagement began in August or September 2017 and work is ongoing.

We’ve had tremendous success placing stories in trade journals. Press appearances are the number one metric I’m interested in. They know how important press is to me and they deliver on that. They also are helping me target more public print media outside the healthcare industry.

How did Activate Health perform from a project management standpoint?

They do extremely well and work with my conditions. We’re a small shop and they know how much I value my time. We only meet when we need to and we’re in contact three or four times a week via phone or email.

They accommodate the unique way I want to work with the press and a PR agency. They support my efforts beyond the way a typical agency would and they find proactive ways to think outside the box.

At times, some of their writers could adjust their writing styles to accommodate my perspective.

Overall Score Our interactions are all top-notch. They’re very easy to deal with.
    They’ve never had an issue with schedules or deadlines.
    We negotiated costs to fit my needs. I get the services I need at a good price.
    They have delivered on all the metrics of the project.
    I recommend them frequently.

PR & Marketing for Insurance Company

“The quality of their writing and design, as well as their ability to turn things around quickly has been wonderful.”

2014 - Ongoing

Activate Health provides copywriting and graphic design assistance to develop marketing materials, including white papers, brochures, e-blasts, flyers, and other materials as needed.

Greenville, South Carolina
Judith Koba
SVP of Sales, Ternian Insurance Group

Activate Health continues to provide high-quality copy, ensuring that it's consistently in compliance with industry guidelines. Their extensive background in healthcare has been a huge asset, along with their ability to turn things around quickly and with great attention to detail.

I'm the senior vice president of sales at Ternian Insurance Group, which provides customizable benefit solutions for employer groups.

What challenge were you trying to address with Activate Health?

We engaged Activate Health to help support our development of marketing materials, including enrollment brochures, e-blasts, flyers, and white papers.

Activate Health provides copywriting and graphic design assistance for producing marketing materials, including white papers, enrollment brochures, e-blasts to brokers who market our products, event materials, etc. They continue to ensure that materials are evaluated regularly to stay in compliance with legislative and insurance guidelines, including our policies. They work on both materials for the client company that sponsors our programs, as well as on materials for individual members.

I mainly work with Laura (National Health Promotion Director, Activate Health), but others on my team have worked with a couple other staff as well. Laura does a lot of the copywriting on our projects, relying on her extensive background in the healthcare industry. Because she's already so familiar with our industry, there was no learning curve; she was able to jump right in from the start.

How did you come to work with Activate Health?

I wasn't involved in the hiring process, but I believe members of our team knew of Laura since our previous company was purchased under a company she'd worked for in the past.

Our monthly average retainer cost is about $2,500–$3,000.

We've been working with them since 2014.

Thanks to their efforts, open rates from email marketing campaigns have definitely improved. We're very happy with the quality of their work overall and the extensive knowledge they're able to bring to the table. Laura, in particular, has been an incredible asset to us.

How did Activate Health perform from a project management standpoint?

Laura is very responsive, detail-oriented, and timely. We've had an excellent relationship with them overall, with no issues whatsoever.

Their attention to detail and responsiveness sets them apart. The quality of their writing and design, as well as their ability to turn things around quickly has been wonderful. Laura acts as the glue that holds our marketing materials together.

I can't think of anything. They've been an excellent partner.

Overall Score They continue to be a very reliable partner and fun to work with.
    They're very timely, efficient, and reliable.
    Their services are worth the investment.
    The quality of their services and deliverables is impeccable.
    I recommend them regularly.