Developing software innovations.

Accedia is а professional IT services company, specializing in technology consulting, agile software development, and implementation of end-to-end IT solutions for both SMEs and large enterprises. Founded in 2012 in Sofia, Bulgaria, Accedia quickly became one of the fastest growing technology companies in EMEA, according to Deloitte Technology Fast 50 and Financial Times 1000 Europe rankings.

Accedia works with clients in more than 19 countries on 5 continents – from America to Japan, from Finland to South Africa and Australia. The team develops innovation for businesses in banking, finance & insurance, leading manufacturers & utility providers, as well as technology startups.

The company’s technology expertise covers the Digital, Intelligent, Cloud and Enterprise domains. What makes Accedia stand out is the inherent drive towards continuous improvement in both technology delivery and professional customer relationships. Every single bit of progress counts towards establishing the company as a preferred partner of innovation divisions at large enterprises & startups.

Sofia, Bulgaria

Alexander Forbes, Bulstrad Vienna Insurance Group, Omni Capital Retail Finance, Progress Software, IBM, VMware, HP, Alpiq, KIBAG.

Web Consulting for Microcontroller Enterprise

“They’re knowledgeable about their work, and we know that we can ask them for guidance.”

n/a

After performing a site audit, Accedia developed a guiding document that provided critical counsel on a website migration. They also assisted with various projects on the backlog to implement new features.

5001+ employees

Arizona
Web Developer, Technology Enterprise

Accedia’s initial guiding document has proven beneficial in identifying potential areas for improvement and reaffirming strong practices. Although the time difference poses some challenges, the team remains patient, responsive to inquiries, and eager to strengthen communication lines.

I’m a web developer for a technology enterprise that creates microcontrollers and other hardware. I’m part of a small team that manages our entire company’s website.

What challenge were you trying to address with Accedia?

At the time, we encountered some challenges upgrading our Sitefinity site from version eight to 10. We wanted to make sure that we were doing things with the best practice in mind, ensuring that we created the modules and widgets correctly and tackling our growing backlog. As a result, we needed a consulting firm to help us manage our tasks and provide some direction.

The first process that they delivered was a roadmap that helped guide us through the site migration. The document advised us on how to set up various aspects of the site, including our servers, databases, projects, and recovery point objectives (RPOs). Afterward, they reviewed our site to ensure that we were following strong procedures and identified anything that needed to be upgraded. Not only did this help us optimize our site, it gave us a sense of direction. For example, I had implemented an image optimization module but wasn’t sure if it was the best way to approach the task. With Accedia’s plan and review, I confirmed that I was on the right path, which was good reinforcement.

Currently, they’re supporting us with tasks on our backlog. One of the projects that they’re assisting us with is a guided navigation function. We provided an initial document of requirements, which they’ve fulfilled. However, the document wasn’t completely detailed, so we didn’t think that the final outcome would be useful to our customers. As such, we’ve created an in-depth technical document with all of our requirements, and they’re working on it, now.

We work with two dedicated engineers and a project manager, who is our regional point of contact. They also have four developers on call who support the engineers if one of them is away.

How did you come to work with Accedia?

Our key account manager referred us to them along with a few other consultancies. My boss researched the firms and talked to them before deciding to go with Accedia.

We’ve spent about $50,000 thus far.

Their work began in January 2018 and is ongoing.

We’ve found their first guiding document to be extremely helpful. We’re able to assess our current practices to see if we need to make adjustments or if we’re already doing what’s best for us. They also help us tackle our bigger projects, which has alleviated our workload considerably. As of recent, we’ve started to have weekly meetings with them. It’s been a slow start to set this up, but we appreciate that they’ve been patient with us.

How did Accedia perform from a project management standpoint?

They send us weekly reports about the status of their work, which has been beneficial for us. They’ve also expressed a strong desire to communicate more with us. While the time difference can be a little challenging, they’re pretty good at responding to our emails. If we have any concerns, we have a set email address where we can send questions.

While I can’t compare them to other consulting agencies, everything seems to be going really well. I’ve met some of the team, and it’s nice to know that they’re working to help us. They’re knowledgeable about their work, and we know that we can ask them for guidance. Rather than just doing the work, it’s important that they’re also able to teach us.

It would help us a lot if their engineers could visit us. That way, we could talk to them face-to-face instead of through email or over the phone. It’s a better communication tactic and would help us work with them.

Be organized with your work so that it’s easier to communicate your needs. You’re paying for their services, after all. If you don’t have everything together, they’ll have to wait to help; it’s a waste. If there was one thing I would have changed, I would’ve probably wanted to be more organized in the beginning.

I’m not entirely sure what our time line was, but I think that most delays were on our end.
  • N/A Cost

Subcontracted Development for Major Software Firm

"Accedia has brought us back additional work."

May 2014 - Ongoing

During large projects, Accedia contracted with various development providers to provide UI/UX design, business analysis, web development, testing, and deployment.

Bedford, Massachusetts
Ramiro Milan
Manager of Professional Services, Progress

As a result of Accedia's work, the company has been able to keep existing clients satisfied and create profitable new relationships. The agency earned praise for their quick turnarounds, collaborative attitude, and focus on building a trusting, productive partnership.

I am the Manager of professional services at Progress which is a software company that builds a famous database. Many large companies across all verticals, run on Progress. I originally came from Telerik which is a Bulgarian company who offering software tools for web, mobile, desktop and mobile cross platform application development. Progress Software acquired Telerik in 2014. I run all of the professional services within the dev tools organization which includes anything from training to fully developing applications, staff augmentation, architecture reviews, and business analysis.

What challenge were you trying to address with Accedia?

We use an extensive network of partners to deliver our professional services work. While we do have a team in house, we created a subcontracting model as our work grew tremendously. We originally had to deliver a big project for a multinational real estate organization. We needed a development company who could manage the large amount of work which included UI/UX work, business analysis, development, testing, and then ultimately deploy it out to the customer. We choose to work with Accedia to deliver the software and it worked out really well. Our relationship has grown from there.

When we get a potential opportunity, we will bring Accedia on board to scope out the work. They will quickly assign a technical resource so we can determine what is needed to complete the project. Typically, this process is done in either hours or days. From there, the technical team will complete the analysis for the customer and begin developing the software. This involves creating mockups and wireframes, UI/UX work, and development, testing, and the transitioning it to the customer. The best way to build a business relationship is to start transitioning the software to the customer. Accedia has a great development team that will start teaching the customer what they’ve done so the client can ultimately manage it.

We work directly with Plamen Koycehv, one of the founders at Accedia for scheduling and scoping. He is our liaison at Accedia to manage the development teams and additional resources. We also work directly with Tihomir Todorov and one of the other managing partners Dimitar Dimitrov for anything that the business related such as the contract negotiation

How did you come to work with Accedia?

We found them through proximity. Accedia is down the street from the Telerik headquarters in Sofia, Bulgaria.  Many former Telerik employees work at Accedia, so there's a good symbiotic relationship between the two companies.

They started working for us in about May of 2014.

Accedia has brought us back additional work. We receive a lot of repeat business, which I believe is the biggest indicator that we've had a successful engagement along the way because it shows our clients trust us and Accedia. For example, Accedia built what equates to Instagram for a global professional association. That client has since contacted us repeatedly and to bring Accedia back to help them with expanding the software and making changes.

How did Accedia perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a really good relationship. It has been very open and very clean. We meet once a week discuss all the opportunities, which allows us to focus on a target. This is really efficient. We use Skype phone to communicate.

Their lead time is amazing. Accedia can put a team on a project in two to three business days after we sign a contract. Sometimes we have to start with one developer, but then we ramp up over the next couple of weeks. On my end, this is awesome because I often have to be reactive to issues that come up from customers.

Our customers’ first question when there is a fire is always about the cost of the fix. It was hard to get ballpark figures out of Accedia.  Understandably, you don’t want commit to work unless you understand all the variables.  We worked together to come up with a plan to resolve this. We now just get a developer on task quickly to figure out the level of effort.  It’s a small investment from the customer to really understand the effort needed for the work. Once the developer has completed the analysis, we have a much better-educated guess on timing and cost for our clients.

Overall Score They've shown me time and time again they can deliver. They know the areas need to improve.
    The lead time is amazing.
    We get world class developers for 60 to 80 dollars per hour.
    I don't think any company can really be a five.
    They've never given me a reason to doubt them

Native Dev for Business Productivity App

"Accedia has been great, from the NDA agreement to the invoicing, project management, and issue-handling."

Oct. 2016 - Ongoing

Accedia helped develop a native iOS app with an SaaS backend, a collaboration platform built using Node.js and a MySQL service. They inherited old code and put together a secure, multitier AWS infrastructure.

Bristol, England
Paul Lewis-Borman
CEO Meetzoo

Accedia has helped iterate on the app quickly and establish product market fit. They’re a highly productive team that not only fixes bugs, but responds to user feedback and delivers new results consistently. Accedia is professional and efficient, and they act as an extension of internal teams.

Meetzoo is a startup Software-as-a-Service [SaaS] business. We provide a backend platform and app for users, with a goal of transforming the way in which people interact during business meetings. We’re connecting people’s existing calendars to social media within our collaboration platform, allowing them to have better continuity and thought-connection during meetings.

What challenge were you trying to address with Accedia?

Accedia led the development of our SaaS with a native iOS app with an AWS backend, that provides a collaboration platform built using Node.js and a RDS/MySQL service. They inherited MVP code and put together a secure, stable product while also releasing important new features.

We worked with a technical architect from their side, who handled product design. We were developing exclusively for the iOS platform at that point in time. The backend was an Amazon Web Services-hosted infrastructure [AWS] using Node.js for the web services platform. We were using Amazon Relational Database, which is essentially a MySQL service. Accedia needed to put together an infrastructure which was both secure and multitier, making sure that we met things like the OWASP [Open Web Application Security Project] best practices around the web services and database. The platform also needed to be scalable, with an N+1 redundancy application server, making sure that the application was essentially stateless across app servers.

This is strictly a backend service—the collaboration platform which all the apps talk to, and use to exchange data. The frontend was simply an app, but there were a couple of web interfaces, namely a password reset form, email initiation pages, and so on. There is no main web UI; it’s simply a native mobile app with a SaaS backend.

How did you come to work with Accedia?

I’ve worked with other outsourced companies, from Bulgaria, the Czech Republic as well as India. My personal preference is always to near-source in Eastern Europe, and I’ve generally had good experiences with these countries as not only is their English very good, but there is a great cultural fit too and staff retention is high.

I came across Accedia after making inquiries in my previous business about a JavaScript framework called Kendo UI. I asked the manufacturer of this framework, a company called Telerik (which has now been acquired by Progress Software), if they could provide experts who could help us evaluate whether Kendo UI would be a right choice for us. They provided the name of Accedia as an expert team. I was very impressed with them and the work they did for me, so, when I later on had an opportunity to outsource for my new startup, they were my choice.

The total cost is in the region of $100,000.

We started working with Accedia in October 2016. The project is ongoing.

We’ve had a very positive reception to the app. One of the key things in the early stages of a startup business, when it’s establishing product market fit, is to quickly iterate the app. While Accedia allowed us to release an app to the store in April 2017, we continue to release new features every month, which is amazing.

We continue to release products, which is amazing. Fixing bugs is one thing, but it’s something else to listen to the user community, and provide enhancements and differentiated features, based on their feedback. I’ve never had such a high-productivity team.

How did Accedia perform from a project management standpoint?

I’ve had a personal relationship and direct contact with everyone on the team, which was vitally important. I’ve worked with businesses which operated as black boxes, which I found disconcerting. What was great about Accedia was that they were an extension of my own team, with no differentiation between my employees and theirs. I knew each one of them, and spoke to them every day.

I’ve worked with much larger companies than Accedia, as well as with smaller companies. What a client looks for is dependent on the size of their own business. If I had a huge company, I may have very different requirements than if I were a small startup. Personally, I want a company which appreciates my business, and which views the revenue as a large-enough aspect of what they’re doing. This was a part of my choice when going for a group the size of Accedia, but I equally didn’t want a company so small as to not have the professional attitude and support required.

When outsourcing, we’re not just outsourcing 2-3 developers, a tester, and a project manager, we’re outsourcing all other parts of management. Accedia clearly has great competencies, between the technical side, the commercial side, and the project management. Each of these is done professionally and efficiently.

I’ve dealt with companies in the past which, although great technically, didn’t invoice on time, or didn’t follow things up properly. Accedia has been great, from the NDA agreement to the invoicing, project management, and issue-handling. I know it can be tough for small, growing businesses to do, but, whatever Accedia is doing, they’re doing it right.

From a customer point of view, I would like to see more evidence of a mentoring culture within their company. Like any business, Accedia will have very experienced people at the top, but, as they grow, they will have to bring in more young and inexperienced members, and train them. I believe this does happen, but it’s not transparent from the customer’s perspective. I would quite like to know if, for example, they have a weekly triage of my project with the gurus within the company, perhaps producing a report on what they’ve thought about. I’ve never come across a company with this approach, but, if anyone could do it, Accedia would be the one.

Overall Score I’ve worked with other companies, and Accedia is the only one I’d go out of my way to recommend. They deserve my support.
    They’ve delivered under great, unreasonable pressure from me, at times.
    I’m an entrepreneur, and I don’t want to spend any money, but Accedia offers very good value.
    It was tough, because they had an inherited codebase and problems. Accedia had a great attitude in dealing with this.
    I have done so on many occasions, and have no hesitations.