Independent Quality Assurance and Software Testing

For over a decade, A1QA has provided independent software QA and testing services across multiple industries, serving more than 270 global customers, including Fortune 500 companies. Our experience is reflected through more than 1000 successfully completed projects, backed by the testimonials of our respected customers and the ever-growing professionalism of our staff.

2002
    Austin, TX 78731
    +1 (512) 501 3622

Adidas, SAP, Acronis, Kaspersky Lab, Pearson, Yandex

Integrated QA Team For Health Care Technology Firm

"They have proved time and again that I could trust them."

A1QA serves as quality control for various health care and pharmaceutical analysis tools. They provide strategic consulting, testing development, quality assurance, hiring, and documentation.

Bath, United Kingdom
Operations Manager, Health Care Technology Firm

Although they are dealing with complex sites, A1QA rarely misses a major issue. Their scrupulous, transparent testing and management methodologies have made every page stable and reliable. A healthy workplace culture produces top-notch staff, timely deliveries, and sensible price negotiations.

Our company has been around for 22 years. We provide a pharmaceutical analytics solution to our clients. We have analytical suites that we provide our clients so they can monitor their performance compared to competitors or just monitor their products around the world. Where we're different is we actually manage this on an ongoing basis. When a client engages with us, it's not through a one-off product that we deliver and walk away from. The bespoke development of the product is only the first stage and then, after that, we manage the product for 10 to 20 years. Some clients have been with us from day one. We update it with new data and features fairly regularly.

I'm the operations manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with A1QA?

We already deal with their sister company, Itransition. Now, all of our developers are based full-time in Minsk. I have within my operational team a separate quality assurance team. One day, we just had so much work – we were really struggling to match resources with demand. One of my colleagues recommended that we have a quick word with the sister company. At the time of this original work, A1QA was still housed within Itransition, but it was an independent division. They said maybe they could help. We got one person involved and this was about four years ago. The relationship has expanded ever since. They've become an integral part of my operations team not just in QA but other disciplines now, too.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

They're now fully integrated into our development process. To be fair to them, they actually drive it to a certain degree. We go to them for strategic advice. One thing that I really like about them is that they have their own QA academy. We have full-time people on our team from A1QA. We've been with them four years. We have members in the team from day one, and they've slowly grown and become more familiar with our processes and practices. They know our product like the back of their hands. They put together the QA scopes with us and help design our whole testing environment. They usually drive the scope themselves. We review it and agree and, usually, they're better than our original plans. They are incredibly professional. I give them full responsibility for selecting candidates that work on our QA. I have the telecoms and web QA boss run my team and, under her, there's a QA manager who oversees the daily operations. She's excellent. I give her full responsibility and trust her judgment. She keeps me fully informed. I have only changed one person in the past but to put them on a different project, not to remove them altogether. I'm kept fully informed of their experiences inside and outside of A1QA so their education or things that are relevant to Belarus.

How did you come to work with A1QA?

We were already working successfully with Itransition, and when we knew we needed additional QA resources, we approached them.

It's hard to say because they're involved in both development QA and ongoing in-house QA. I would venture to say around $150,000 a year.

This is still an ongoing engagement.

Their role is looking at the development side of a product. When we get new projects for a client, they're usually involved from the beginning in requirements gathering and discovery phase, defining the QA process, then following that through. The way I would gauge the quality of their work would be going forward on the project. Once the project goes live, we would see whether or not we had any issues reported. I don't remember the last time we had an issue that got past them within the scope we've all agreed upon at the beginning of a project. Our sites are hugely complicated yet very reliable. Some pages have 20,000 to 30,000 possible combinations of links in them because it's all analytics – data driven. We define a tight overall spec, but within the actual QA they're doing I can say they just pick it up naturally. The last time I had an issue get past them was 11 months ago. They're extremely meticulous and methodical.

How did A1QA perform from a project management standpoint?

I get feedback from them and twice a year I go over and see them and do a review with each member of the team. That includes feedback from everyone involved with them from our company. I treat them exactly the same as one of our own staff. We have a whole series of questions. They always rate very highly considering they're based in Minsk. You would think there would be language barriers, but there just aren't. They're brilliant. It's the only outsourcing company I've ever had this much respect for. When I sit down with them we go over the last six months, is there any feedback? What's the communication been like between the teams? Have they been misunderstood? We're always trying to hone and improve our collaboration practices.

What distinguishes A1QA from other providers?

The one thing I'm impressed with is really the training they give their staff. Their QA academy is excellent. I know they have many people that come directly from a university. One of my team is at the university at the moment, but she works full-time on our project. Everybody we've had on our team has been first class. They're trained well, and it's always ongoing. I'm impressed with how that's managed. They're incredibly professional.

Is there anything A1QA could have improved or done differently?

One of our team managers was taking on too much work. He understands our product better than most of us here. We sat down and said we don't want to lose your service, but we need to relook at the structure of the engagement. They were brilliant and very accommodating. I put my thoughts forward and they jumped on it immediately. We had a slight change in the management structure of the team. It was professionally handled and, because of that, they do more services for us.

Do you have any advice to share with their future clients?

Because they were linked to the development side, it's always a bit of a risk. One part of the company is developing the product and another part is responsible for quality assurance. You always think that's a risk because you're putting faith in their honesty and transparency. I found early on that they are brutally honest about their sister company. They definitely act as if they're a separate company and, at this point, they are separate companies. The biggest thing was developing that trusting relationship. They have proved time and again that I could trust them. I have a lot of experience with outsourcing companies. They're good people to work with. They deliver what they say they're going to deliver. They deliver to schedule and to price.

I benchmark them against other companies. I benchmark them against my own internal QA, and I find them very good.
    I've already done that.

Integrated QA Team for Economic Research Institute

"We don't have to worry about whether the QA team can handle the workload."

Sept. 2014 - Ongoing

A1QA assisted in the development of a custom economic case management app. The team, which included up to ten testers, provided manual and automated Android and iOS testing and technical writing.

Starkville, Mississippi
Deputy Executive Director, Economic Research Institute

Testers from A1QA not only identified issues, but also made actionable suggestions about additional code. The team collaborated productively with the in-house team, making valuable contributions without upsetting the standard workflow. Their flexibility and quick turnarounds were highly beneficial.

I work for a national economic research institute that conducts research and analysis on economic performance and makes strategic recommendations around ways to improve competitiveness in the global marketplace.

I am a deputy executive director.

What business challenge were you trying to address with A1QA?

We have what we call a case management system for one of our own customers, and they would perform the quality assurance for the finished product. We sometimes deal with quality assurance ourselves but, in this particular case, we were tight on time and resources, so we decided to find a partner with the skill set to do it for us.

Please describe the scope of their involvement.

They integrated themselves directly into the development team that was working on the application. Depending on our needs, we had between five and ten testers included in our development team because we had more than one project going on with them. We wanted to be sure that we had folks that had prior experience testing a case management system.

As we explored different areas, we also moved toward mobile development as well. We needed folks that had experience testing mobile applications, and then folks that could also do automated testing on their part. They tested both on Android and iOS devices. We also expanded the scope of their involvement to include technical writing, which has worked out well so far.

How did you come to work with A1QA?

When we realized we had a need, our procurement rules were a little bit different than they are today, so we just went online and searched for several firms that could do quality assurance testing for us. A1QA came out of the search engine that we used back then. What really helped us is that, when trying to establish the scope of work and getting the quotes from other vendors took forever, A1QA was very responsive to get something back to us. They not only provided a reasonable quote, but they also gave us a sense of how they would approach working with us. They really made a good argument and were very responsive, which made it easy for us to make a decision and to go with them.

The only number I'd be comfortable to say is that, on a yearly basis, we spent more than $200,000.

We worked about 12 months on the application before it was prepared to go live. We are utilizing their resources more.

That would be hard because what we provide right now is kind of a turnkey solution for our customers. Our customers are not really ever exposed to the QA [quality assurance] aspect of what we're doing, they're more like embedded as part of our group, and I don't have anything right now. That is something that we are considering as we're utilizing more of their resources so that we can make a good argument that we do have something that's worth spending money on. Right now, I do not have anything like that.

Having incorporated A1QA testers, they were more focused on developing value-added code than doing the rework of bugs that needed to be fixed. There's also a certain confidence that we have, that we have some good QA testers that are working with us. If the developers are missing something early on, everybody is feeling confident that there is a good chance it will be caught in the QA phase, which makes our product better and makes everybody feel better about what we're doing.

How did A1QA perform from a project management standpoint?

For project management, we are using the Atlassian Suite product that they have. That's one nice thing that A1QA has been able to do. They can plug-in into whatever we're using without us having to change any of our business processes.

What distinguishes A1QA from other providers?

One of the big strengths that we've seen with them is that we're working with them on a time and material basis. Whenever we had some projects that came last minute to us, and suddenly we had to scale up, A1QA been able to match and scale up their resources as well. We don't have to worry about whether the QA team can handle the workload if we find enough developers and the resources to do the work here. That has been something really nice. Some of the other vendors that we've worked with in the past required a substantial amount of notice before we could scale up our engagement with them. With A1QA, they've been able to match us on pretty much all the needs that we've ever had.

Is there anything A1QA could have improved or done differently?

I would say nothing that comes to mind right now. Being more competitive from the pricing point of view would be nice, but I would not say that they are the most expensive people out there.

based on looking at other prices around.