Your solution to web and mobile development

42 Coffee Cups is a growing team of highly experienced Python/Django developers with over 15 years experience in web development and more than 9 years using Django, doing various projects over the US, Canada, Australia, UK & Europe. The main expertise is in heavy backend development using Python. Provides a high quality web and mobile development service using Python and Django, native iOS and Android development.

2007
    Pae 21
    Tallinn 11415
    Estonia

French Translation Platform Development

"They never said anything was too difficult or impossible. They just got the work done."

42 Coffee Cups provided offshore development of a computer-assisted language translation service in a year-long project.

France
CEO, French Translation Platform

The team has good project management and once communication expectations were set, was very responsive. 42 Coffee Cups are transparent, great problem solvers and do not shy away from challenges.

We offer a computer-assisted translation service that helps translators do their jobs better. We offer tools that will automate translation work with a high degree of effectiveness. We target the European and North American markets. We are a small startup. I am the founder and CEO. We are based in Paris, France.

When I started the concept a couple of years ago, I hired a French development firm. They are a large and reputable firm, but failed miserably. The development of our platform is extremely complicated, the specs document we set to firms was more than 80 pages. I was not satisfied with the work ethic and attitude of the French team, so I looked for an offshore firm. French companies weren't willing to help a startup and take a chance.

We needed a scalable team that could offer between three and 15 top-notch developers based on need. We did a lot of research and spent a couple of months narrowing down our shortlist. About 15 firms responded to our RFP [request for proposal], but only two stuck around after we sent the intimidating requirements document.

We ended up with 42 Coffee Cups because they were the only company that was willing to accept the immense challenge. They never said anything was too difficult or impossible. They just got the work done.

We started the engagement by giving 42 Coffee Cups two small projects as tests. The first was easy and the second very difficult. They passed both tests with flying colors. I was really impressed, so we started the main engagement.

At first, they didn't want to meet regularly with me and give me code piece by piece. I forced them to meet with me regularly on Skype so I could communicate with the project manager and coding team. They use the agile methodology and were extremely flexible with our changing requirements. The project just kept growing.

The project took more than one year with a full-time team of four to 15 developers. We also had a former coder who became the main project manager [and] who was with us the whole way.

I have a strong relationship with the owners of 42 Coffee Cups and my project manager. They are problem solvers and just get things done. They don't make excuses even though I was really tough on them.

These guys are development experts, I cannot stress enough how difficult this project was. We had top firms from all around Europe who wouldn't touch this engagement. They were willing to keep close communications with me, which is rare for offshore teams. They weren't as secretive and more transparent than most Russian firms I've dealt with before.

Prulu Development Partnership

"The only thing I would have done differently is that I wish I found them sooner. They are amazing."

42 Coffee Cups performs database integration of a question and answer service into various learning management systems. The work includes complex services, including messaging capabilities and built in Django databases for remote control.

San Francisco Bay Area
Founder, Prulu

The team consistently demonstrates a willingness to tackle challenges and takes pride in their work. They are eager to try new and more difficult tasks to improve their abilities. 42 Coffee Cups is always on standby and ready to make changes or fixes as needed.

[We offer] a question-and-answer database that we built for universities to use from K-12 [kindergarten through 12th grade] to higher education.

What is your role and responsibilities?

I am the CEO.

What was your goal for working with 42 Coffee Cups?

We integrate into learning management systems as well, which was a separate task that 42 Coffee Cups had to learn with a different protocol from other system. We needed a company that was sharp enough to code well plus integrate with this third-party system.

There is a lot of custom work and white labeling work we did for several universities that wanted certain things done that we didn’t offer for the core product, they needed premium features. If clients want it, we build it.

What was your process for selecting 42 Coffee Cups with which to work?

We talked several times, and I looked at some of the work they had done. We had calls with other team members to make sure the chemistry was there. We did simple due diligence. They come out quite often on web searches, which is very helpful. The principals and team continue to educate themselves for the Django conferences in the U.S. They make a great effort to do that.

Prulu does several hundred thousand dollars worth of business with 42 Coffee Cups.

Do you have any statistics or metrics to track improvement from the project?

It's been wonderful. When you integrate into a learning management system, most of which are archaic by Silicon Valley terms, we had to change a lot of things that didn’t duplicate what the system already offers.

Our standalone product offers a lot of features that are in the system already such as messaging and other features that we would duplicate. We had to have the 42 Coffee Cups team know that when they plug into something, we hide these things. We had to build a special database in the background control module in the Django setup to be able to turn it on and off. Some of the tasks we asked them to do were very complex.

They were never afraid of something and took them on as a challenge. They didn’t just want easy work to do. They got bored that way. They liked work that pushed and challenged them. It worked out very well.

The team really cares. With anything, there is always something that goes wrong. When something did go wrong and I called them, it was in the middle of the night for them. The principal has his phone on, and the project admin is on standby. The person who runs our work for AWS was already ready to go when we had an issue or if AWS went down. They were quick. Daytime here, nighttime there. If they were sleeping and things happened, we called them, and they took care of things.

They completely care about their clients, instead of looking at the phone and dealing with it later. That meant a lot to me, and it made me speak highly of them with other people who want to do business with them.

The only thing I would have done differently is that I wish I found them sooner. They are amazing, and we've developed good friendships with the people we work with. That shows a lot about their character.

Overall Score hey’ve been nothing but great. Some other offshore companies have great intentions, but they don’t have the communication aspect or the support team...42 Coffee Cups has a very good structure set up.
    Always on point.
    I recommend them a lot. Here in Silicon Valley, it's hard to find engineers. I tell friends all of the time that if they need to expand quickly in a cost-effective way, use 42 Coffee Cups...they really do enjoy the engagement with 42 Coffee Cups.