Life-saving, life-changing | Mobile, apps, web

3 SIDED CUBE is a multi-award winning digital agency based in the UK, helping businesses and organisations around the globe save the world one app at a time. With a particular passion for building technology for good, be it life-saving, life-changing or problem alleviating, we champion the genius over the generic.

This focus on creating apps with the ability to change lives has resulted in 3 SIDED CUBE winning acclaimed awards such as The Digital Communications Award for Best Mobile App, plus several awards for best charity app.

On top of this our innovative approach to problem-solving earned us a place on the 2016 Top 50 Creative Agencies published by Creative England in association with The Telegraph.

CUBE’s proven process of working closely with our clients to deliver technology solutions has helped to create international disaster preparedness apps, placed first aid and emergency care in the hands of people who need it the most and raised millions of dollars for blood donations; saving lives every day.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Headquarters
  • 3 SIDED CUBE
    County Gates House, 300 Poole Road,
    Bournemouth BH12 1AZ
    44 (0)1202 611 612

American Red Cross, ASPCA, Boots, British Red Cross, Global Disaster Preparedness Centre, Lloyds Banking Group, LUSH, Mind, Nordstrom, RNLI, RSPB

American Red Cross - Hurricane App

RNLI - H2Only App

Mind - Emoodji App

How It Works - Magazine App

Nordstrom - Internal App

Internal app for the Nordstrom team.

British Red Cross - First Aid App

App Credentials:

• Winner of the Best Mobile App at the European Digital Communication Awards.
  • No 10 App in the UK
  • Android, iOS and Blackberry Builds
  • Localised into 26 Languages and in 88 Countries

Barclay - Watch Prototype

Apple Watch Prototype for Barclays Ping It.

Boots - Eye Check App

• 22.7% increase in appointment show rates
  • $70 million in revenue generated
  • 600,000 lives saved

React Native Development for Loyalty App

"They achieved the project on time and with quality."

3 Sided Cube partnered with the client's backend team to deliver an iOS and Android mobile app platform utilizing the Agile Method and React Native language.

Greg Barden
Founder, Pixie

One of the more complicated parts of the solution was to integrate a payment processor, 3 Sided Cube successfully accomplished, and the platform has now processed 100+ payments.

Pixie is a company with a mobile app platform where you can discover, pay, and earn universal loyalty points from independent businesses such as retail or small businesses with less than 5 units. There are no chains or franchises involved. We provide the companies with the technology and marketing solutions that help them to compete and grow in a competitive world.

I’m founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with 3 SIDED CUBE?

We needed to build a world-renowned app. We are a startup and our team is very small, so we don’t have developers in-house.

We wanted a company that was not only reactive but also proactive in terms of where technology and the app world is going. We found that React Native is a language of the future and 3 SIDED CUBE is pioneering the way in that language. They built both iOS and Android apps from scratch. We had an in-house backend team that was going to be embedded with them.

How did you come to work with 3 SIDED CUBE?

We had known them before and knew about their work because they are local. They have a global and ethical brand. They’re a forward-thinking company. We decided to use them based on their knowledge of React Native and the fact that we trusted them. They actually wanted to work with us, as opposed to other agencies where you feel like they want to get you in the door and put you out the other side. They were open to working with our backend team.

How much have you invested with 3 SIDED CUBE?

We’ve spent 50,000 to 100,000 pounds [approx. US$63,000 to 125,000] with them so far.

The first phase of the app took 10 to 12 weeks, and we plan to continue using them.

We’re going live with the product this week [January 2017]. We’ve made our first 100 live payments through the apps. The only issue has been on the server side, which has nothing to do with the front-end of the app and usability of it.

How did 3 SIDED CUBE perform from a project management standpoint?

They achieved the project on time and with quality. The project managers work in an Agile way, which is in line with our own style. They’ve been very flexible in understanding our requirements. The developers have been able to give their input on the project as well. They pushed back if they thought they had a better solution.

What did you find most impressive about 3 SIDED CUBE?

The founder is an entrepreneur at heart, so he’s trying to create an Agile company which feeds through the company.

Are there any areas 3 SIDED CUBE could improve?

In the beginning, we could’ve slowed down the process of the prototype so it would increase the speed later on. I think it was because we had a unique user case where we’d had an app that we’d already done a lot of usability testing around.

The reason for the score is because of the prototype.
    I already have.

App Development for Humanitarian Aid Organization

"They were very flexible to our changing requirements."

3 Sided Cube supplied the technological and design expertise to develop a mobile app for the client on both iOS and Android devices.

Digital Manager, Civic Organization

With the help of 3 Sided Cube, this client’s mobile app has reached up to 900,000 downloads. Their agility to adapt to the business needs is what makes them distinct.

I worked for a humanitarian aid organization based in the UK. I was the Digital Manager for 8 ½ years. I left 18 months ago.

What challenge were you trying to address with 3 Sided Cube?

We worked closely with 3 Sided Cube to produce a series of mobile apps for Apple and Android devices.

From our initial discussions with them, it was evident that they knew what they were talking about. At the time, they were a young, hungry and ambitious company. They ticked our boxes because they could deliver both iOS and Android apps as well as a design expertise. We knew that working with 3 Sided Cube; we would get a project that looked good and met our needs.

How did you come to work with 3 Sided Cube?

They met our requirements in the competitive pitch process and demonstrated their capabilities from the outset. They gave us a very good pitch and responded to our request to find a company that could help us produce these apps. It was very clear that they were keen to the business and perfectly capable of building what we wanted.

How much have you invested with 3 Sided Cube?

The project cost was between 50,000 to 200,000 pounds ($65,000-$250,000).

We were the fourth most downloaded free app at one point in the UK app store. It went on to be downloaded 800,000 - 900,000 times to date. It’s on a high number of devices worldwide.

What did you find most impressive about 3 Sided Cube?

One of their best qualities is their agility. They were very flexible to our changing requirements. They’re able to adapt and work with clients quickly. They’re very knowledgeable and often suggest additional functionality or features that you wouldn’t have thought of otherwise. They’re one step ahead of the game.

Are there any areas 3 Sided Cube could improve?

When we worked with 3 Sided Cube, they were a small team. As a small company, it can be difficult to have the workforce to deliver what’s asked of them. However, that never impacted our deadlines from our perspective. They worked late and went beyond the call of duty to meet our requirements.

App Development for Online Giving Platform

"The thing that I always take away is that they’re [3 Sided Cube] relatively small but they’re very lean."

3 SIDED CUBE partners to integrate this stakeholder’s charity platform into end clients’ iOS and Android apps.

Jamie Parkins
Product Manager, JustGiving

3 SIDED CUBE’s emphasis on rapid prototyping, moving quickly, and enthusiasm are this client’s reason for recommendation.

JustGiving.com is the world’s leading platform for online giving. We enable people around the world to fundraise or to give directly to charitable causes. To date, we’ve helped raise over $4 billion of donations to causes all around the world.

I’m the Senior Product Manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with 3 SIDED CUBE?

One of my roles has been to run our API program - the set of tools that we make available to developers and agencies who want to integrate the JustGiving platform. I’ve been running that since 2012. Late in 2014, we had a challenge where we were trying to help a particular charity develop a mobile app proposition. They had a project that they were trying to deliver and they were asking us for recommendations of agencies that played in that mobile space. Obviously, we’re not an agency. It’s not something that we would deliver but I had lots of conversations. I met various people, and along that path, we put it out to tender with the charity and the pitch that we were most impressed with was the pitch that came back from 3 SIDED CUBE.

Our users are predominantly iOS. We have no control over that. It’s been really heartening that each time they [3 SIDED CUBE] present ideas and UX [user experience] design, they’re always considering both iOS and Android. Our default is to look at iOS only but they’ve always covered both sides, which is great. The other thing I like about them is their desire to rapidly prototype. They try to avoid spending a lot of the client’s time and money on long, drawn out type approaches to app design. I think a lot of the stuff that they build and they learn from, they apply to future work projects. So customers are always benefitting from the work that’s gone on before.

How much have you invested with 3 SIDED CUBE?

I don’t think I can put a number on it. What they’ve worked on have been projects that if you look at the value of the funds that get raised, then we’re talking about tens of hundreds of thousands of pounds raised for good causes. With these apps that they’re building, the value of donations that they generate are not insignificant.

Most recently, the guys at 3 SIDED CUBE approached us with an idea of creating a product platform called Charity Kit, which would enable 3 SIDED CUBE to build a mobile app template for any charity that wanted to enter the mobile app space but didn’t know where to start or have the budget behind it. They wanted to integrate JustGiving. So I worked with them to develop a way in which they could connect with our service and then present that as being a sort of cookie-cutter app for anyone in the sector that wants to have a mobile app relatively cheap. We were delighted that 3 SIDED CUBE came up with the idea because it also validated our platform at the same time.

How did 3 SIDED CUBE perform from a project management standpoint?

Rather rapidly, through the month of December [2014], I worked with 3 SIDED CUBE to come up with some designs, a UX plan, and then finally execution for this mobile app. From ideation to execution, I think it got delivered in about two months which is pretty fast for an app. The app was delivered to the client in time for their major launch. As a result of that relationship, I got to know Duncan Cook [Managing Director, 3 SIDED CUBE] and the team at 3 SIDED CUBE very well. Since then, when I’ve been approached for other ideas involving apps in the charity sector, 3 SIDED CUBE has been the agency that I’ve been confident in recommending or collaborating with.

What did you find most impressive about 3 SIDED CUBE?

I’ve been to visit them a number of times. The thing that I always take away is that they’re relatively small but they’re very lean. I mean that in the product sense and also the size of the team. I think as a client, your money is not being wasted on unnecessary overheads. Duncan has a really lean team that has enthusiasm. They’re really hungry. They get behind local events. They’re often involved in hacks. Every time Apple launches a new iOS these guys run an event .They’re all over it. They’re testing and playing with it. As a result, they’re often ahead of the curve in terms of interactive design.

They spend a lot of time getting to know the client, which I think is really important particularly when the client is nervous because it might be the first foray into the app world. They take away a lot of that initial confusion and fear of the unknown.

Duncan is a fantastic face for the business. I’ve had the pleasure of doing some talks with him at conferences and he’s got a real passion for changing the sector. It’s one that changes slowly and I think he’s trying to bring a speed and velocity, which they’re not necessarily used to, but I think is really good for them. As a result, JustGiving has always been delighted to work alongside them. We reflect well upon each other.

Are there any areas 3 SIDED CUBE could improve?

On the Charity Kit platform, we’re still waiting for the first charities to come onboard. I think, often in the charity sector, the turnaround time is quite long. There’s a lot of decision making. Because it is people’s donations being spent, there’s a lot of justification that needs to be done. So I appreciate that the turnaround time in this sector is slow. What I’m looking forward to is the next proliferation of apps that come out of 3 SIDED CUBE. I’m looking forward to seeing those.

Overall Score I look forward to working with them again if I get the opportunity. I trust them.
    They’re a small team, so sometimes they try and juggle too many things. Sometimes scheduling can be lost in that. I don’t think they’ve missed a deadline with clients. If anything, it’s often them enforcing the deadline the other way.
    My understanding is they are reasonable. They’re not the most expensive. At the same, time I don’t think they’re the cheapest because I don’t think that’s where they want to be. You pay for quality. You pay for customer support.
    Quality to me is sometimes speed of delivery, which they’re really good at. They’re very open, very visible. They don’t hide stuff. Ultimately, their understanding of how apps work and how people interact with apps is really strong.
    I know that if the work wasn’t right for them they would explain why. They wouldn’t just try and carry on the task. They’re honest and give good feedback. Because they have a good understanding of our API technology, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.

Multiple Apps for Maritime Nonprofit

"One of the important things they did was that they [3 Sided Cube] really helped me show the business benefit of disrupted agile development ..."

3 SIDED CUBE delivered multiple mobile applications for this organization, including iOS, Android, and the Apple Watch.

Neil Thornburn
Former Digital Transformation Head, RNLI

3 SIDED CUBE’s creativity, agile delivery, and general passion for their work stand out in this client’s mind.

The company I worked for at the time was RNLI which is the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. It’s a large UK based charity that fundamentally helps to save lives at sea through a fleet of rescue boats and a team of people. They employ around 2,000 people. They have a volunteer network of around 45,000 people.

I was the Head of Digital Transformation. It was a two-year contractor role where I led an enterprise-wide transformation of everything digital. A lot of that was focused on mobile technology of which 3 SIDED CUBE helped in a number of ways.

What challenge were you trying to address with 3 SIDED CUBE?

It was fundamentally to try and change some behaviors - try to drive cultural change and identify the right technology structure to help enable that change. They [RNLI] weren’t quite sure what they needed but they knew they needed something.

We approached with a scope for an idea which we wanted to achieve. We also used them 3 SIDED CUBE for disruptive agile workshops and things. We used them with an open approach to solution providing. They’re a very creative agency and I didn’t want to stifle their creativity. So our approach was more like, “These are the issues I have. How can we try to resolve them?” They helped us work on an Apple Watch app that RNLI produced. I think it was one of the first. We started working on that just as the Apple Watch was released. It was a precursor to the launch of the mobile app. They were a trusted development agency and were able to work on a few apps before the watch came out. We were able to hit the ground running and get ahead. There were Android versions in some of the applications we did as well. The beach finder application was Android as well.

How did you come to work with 3 SIDED CUBE?

They were a local agency to RNLI. Local proximity to where I’m working is not one of the criteria that I use to select an agency. I spent 12 years in a digital agency, so I’m very particular when it comes to an agency and culture. Something I’m very big on is making sure there’s the right cultural fit and making sure the goals of the agency aren’t purely commercial. You have to do it for the love of what you do. The influx of the organization is very important to me. It doesn’t always go down well when you’re working with a procurement team to say “I don’t want an agency that’s all about the money. I want an agency that does it for the love of what they’re doing.” But it’s something that’s pretty high up on my criteria list. We review the agencies we work with on a project by project basis rather than having a set agency and having to go to them. It gives my team more freedom and a better chance of success if they have the ability to find the right agency for the right job. 3 SIDED CUBE is one of those boutique agencies that you wouldn’t want to put into a box. It really was a big cultural thing; the more they got to know us, the more creative and more beneficial they were as an organization. They really took time to figure out how best they could solve our issues. The honesty factor is a huge part. When they weren’t the right fit, they were very upfront, which is fantastic. Quite often, an agency will say yes to a job and outsource it or figure out how to solve it after they’ve taken your money. They’re very much more transparent in that respect.

How much have you invested with 3 SIDED CUBE?

It varied. A few projects were in the $10,000 to $50,000 and a few were in the $50,000 plus.

We got a huge amount of recognition for the Apple Watch app. Everything they had done was so well received, well regarded, and looked after by us as an organization that it really speaks volumes for the thought that’s gone into it. It’s very easy to let the technology die and not keep it up to date, keep it fed and watered, and get the right sort of buy-in from the organization. That was something that was pretty prevalent in everything they did.

How did 3 SIDED CUBE perform from a project management standpoint?

One of the things they helped me do was look at rapid prototyping - coming in, hosting events with different teams, and being able to go away and then an hour later come back and show how they prototyped a certain piece of technology.

This was a few years ago when that kind of thing was not very mainstream - disruptive behavior and disruptive transformation. Everyone’s doing it now. It’s something they’ve been doing for quite a while and they really had it nailed. It had a huge impact culturally across RNLI when it came to trying to drive change and actually starting to accept prototypes. If you’re going to fail, fail fast and fail cheap. That was the mentality of trying something and then adapting rather than getting a proposal out there and planning and putting a huge piece of work around something that may fail.

What did you find most impressive about 3 SIDED CUBE?

One of the important things they did was that they really helped me show the business benefit of disrupted agile development and really super quick scoping and planning and getting as much planned as possible before you start something and then taking months and months to cultivate.

Is there anything 3 SIDED CUBE could have improved or done differently?

They are all very passionate about what they do but it feels like sometimes opportunities are missed because they maybe don’t have that really rigid commercial project management mentality. But from a client’s perspective, you benefit from it, which is fantastic because they’re always trying to offer great solutions. It’s not a fixed scope. Every time you try and change something, there isn’t a big change request you have to fill out and a huge impact on the timeline. From a client, that’s not a negative thing. If I had my agency hat on, I would be trying to get them to become a bit more rigid in their approach.

Overall Score They’re very passionate. Their attention to detail is fantastic. There was never a time where I thought this is a terrible piece of work.
    The scheduling and prices was a piece that we never had a problem with. On a larger more complex project, there might be issues there. That’s just me. Scheduling was always focused on getting things done right.
    When the work went over they never said, “Oh, we spent too much time on getting this right for you so we’re going to charge more money.” It was very reasonably and competitively priced.
    Giving them a five would imply they never do anything wrong. They’re as good as the information you give them a lot of the time. They didn’t always hit the nail on the head but that’s partly due to the direction they have.
    I’m still looking for reasons to bring them into JP Morgan [Current Company].

iPad App Development for Customer Survey Solution

"[3 Sided Cube] were responsive in getting things done quickly."

3 Sided Cube helped the client to develop an iPad application when they did not have the internal resources to build it themselves.

Miami Metro Area
Ben Story
CEO, Avius

3 Sided Cube showed a genuine interest in the project from the very beginning, going above and beyond what their competitors were offering. The client estimates that they have over 700 iPads in the field worldwide and considers the app to be a success.

We are Avius America LLC. We provide customer feedback solutions for theme parks and tourist attractions around the world. I’m the Chief Executive Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with 3 SIDED CUBE?

We have a solution that was built on .NET and allows us to put in a kiosk at theme parks. We can put these towards the exit or end of an experience. For example, the London Dungeon, which is a tourist attraction in the UK. The guests give their feedback at the end of their experience. We built that in-house. Then, we needed that solution built on some sort of tablet device, and we looked at iOS. That’s when we approached 3 SIDED CUBE. We saw some of their work and knew how good they were.

We didn’t have the resources on our team to build an app. 3 SIDED CUBE put together a package that was really nice - not only in the short term, but they also got on board to support the vision going forward. They did an iOS tablet app.

How did you come to work with 3 SIDED CUBE?

We looked at a couple of other companies. They weren’t the cheapest, but we loved the fact that they got what we were trying to achieve. They weren’t in it for the short term. They were interested in seeing the end customer. We gave them the requirement specs and they were the only company we approached that wanted to see our existing build and actually went out to our client sites to see what we’re already doing. They had their own opinion of things and they presented those ideas too.

How much have you invested with 3 SIDED CUBE?

About £ 50,000 GBP or US $75,000.

They built it five years ago. It was on the original iPad. We still have a relationship with them. About a year ago we took the development in-house.

It’s our headline product, so it’s shaped the way we do business. We probably have 700 - 800 iPads out there now. It’s worldwide. We have deployment in California. Madame Tussauds uses it worldwide. We also have deployment in Asia and Australia.

What did you find most impressive about 3 SIDED CUBE?

One thing that really stood out was that they looked at the project and didn’t just come back with a price. They challenged us to look at it different ways. In the beginning, we worked with a guy that was an architect in terms of being able to look at solutions and see them in a different light. We pass that onto our customers now. If we have a customer that gives us a survey that’s 20 questions, we ask them if they want to combine some questions. We give advice to customers. They were responsive in getting things done quickly. If we gave them a change request they didn’t agree with they might challenge us on it.

Are there any areas 3 SIDED CUBE could improve?

As we got to the end, the work became change requests from our customers and we needed to turn things around quicker. They could accommodate us sometimes, but there were some delays because they had other projects. It was a little bit frustrating, but they would always let us know how long it was going to take.

Overall Score I love the fact that they partner with you. They even came in our office and did some code in our office.
    They exceeded all those. We had one monster deadline - the first buildout, and we were well in advance of that. Our end customer’s expectations were more than exceeded.
    We ended up getting so much more out of them. For some of the smaller change requests, they just rolled them into the deal. It was only if we needed another version with a significant feature that it was quoted.
    When we ported the solution in-house and saw all the code, the quality was fantastic.
    I have recommended them already and will continue to do so.

App Partnership with Humanitarian Aid Nonprofit

"They've got tremendous chops on the back-end server side of things."

3 Sided Cube has worked with the client to develop 10-12 apps, all of which are available on both the Android and iOS platforms.

New York Metro Area
Former Digital Engagement Senior Director, Nonprofit

3 Sided Cube has consistently met the client’s high standards for functionality, understanding that these apps cannot afford to crash. The client has seen 8.7 million total downloads, with one app reaching number two for free apps in the App Store and another winning the Webby Award for Best App.

We are a humanitarian aid nonprofit organization. I work in the Health and Safety Division. My team is responsible for the product development and product management of mobile apps across the entire organization. My title is Senior Director of Health and Safety Digital Engagement.

What business challenge were you trying to address with 3 Sided Cube?

We have about a four-year history with 3 Sided Cube. We’ve launched probably 10 to 12 different apps with them, the majority of which have been met with incredible success. Because we’ve launched apps across all the different verticals within our organization, each app we’ve done has had their own business objectives.

Starting with the first two that put us on the map, we launched a first-aid app that they had worked on with our British counterpart organization. We took that and tweaked it for U.S. audiences based on our first-aid pedagogy. We launched that, and we got an amazing reception for the app.

Then, the next app that we did was for hurricane preparedness. The business objective there was to deliver a complete hurricane preparedness tool with as much capability baked into the app in case your power goes out or the cell service goes out, to deliver the best possible tool to be prepared right before, during, and after a hurricane. It also had the ability to plan ahead for the next hurricane season. That was an incredibly complex app. The interesting thing was that we launched that mid-August of 2012 I believe. Two weeks after we launched it, Hurricane Isaac hit down South, and then that October was when Sandy hit.

We launched this real-time alerting app, and all of a sudden it’s being tested in arguably one of the largest hurricanes or storms the country has seen in 100 years or so. As a testament to how well it did, there were numerous user reviews saying how much it helped them through it, but from a sheer app success lens, we made it to number two of all free apps across Apple’s App Store. That was immensely successful. We got great metrics and learnings by watching how people use the app, the emails we received, the user reviews, etc.

In March 2013, we launched a tornado app, which was even more challenging because with a hurricane, you know a hurricane’s coming a week out. With a tornado, you only know that it’s coming when you hear your town’s tornado sirens go off, and you have a matter of minutes, if not seconds, to get to the lowest point of your house. That was a whole other challenge, to make sure that these tornado alerts got out and then that we would be able to make a siren alert significant enough that it could potentially wake people up. After we launched the app, May 2013 was when those tornadoes touched down in Moore, Oklahoma and really devastated that area. We literally had emails saying, “Your app saved our life because the alerts went off. The siren in your app went off before my town’s sirens went off. I was able to get to safety, so it literally saved our lives.”

Like I said, there’s been plenty of highlights since then culminating this past May or June. With 3 Sided Cube, we won a Webby Award for Best App for our blood donor app. In between there, we’ve had a lot of successes with 3 Sided Cube.

Everything we’ve done has been available on iPhone and Android. On a technology aspect, especially with tornadoes, when an alert goes out, users are going to their apps, everything’s converging on the servers at one time. 3 Sided Cube has had to learn how to optimize their whole back-end system for that, in order to make sure it doesn’t go down, because that’s one thing that they know is non-negotiable, these apps cannot go down. Not only are they phenomenal on the app side, they’ve got tremendous chops on the back-end server side of things.

How did you come to work with 3 Sided Cube?

We were taking our first foray into apps, and the British organization really liked what they did for them. We thought it was pretty clean and simple, and to be honest, the price was really good, especially as a non-profit. The price was attractive.

How much have you invested with 3 Sided Cube?

The prices for the apps have ranged. We never have just launched one of these apps and just let it sit. Because we see them as valuable tools, I actually used to work constantly, perpetually updating them. So, we have basically done apps in a whole range of amounts.

I mentioned hitting number two of all the free apps. For us, that was tremendous, obviously. In four years, we’ve done 8.7 million downloads across the board, which to us is pretty phenomenal. We know our preparedness apps are working thanks to the emails and user reviews we receive.

With the blood donor app, the organization takes blood donations, and we sell that blood to hospitals. That’s the organization’s overall biggest revenue driver. We launched it two years ago and it has the highest show rate of any channel for this organization. What we’ve found is donors that make appointments through the app have the highest show rate, meaning those people actually make the appointment and then show up most frequently. Whatever the blood donor app is, it’s 10 percentage points higher than the next one down, which is probably the website. Not only do the app users have the highest show rate, they also have the highest production rate, meaning that we are able to get more blood from the app-based donors than the other channels as well. Again, it’s a ten-percentage point difference between the next highest channel.

What distinguishes 3 Sided Cube from other providers?

There’s a few things. First of all, it’s creativity, problem solving, and business understanding.

We’re a very close partner in the overall user experience of the app, the concept, what tools are going to be in there, and what features will be created. The thing that we always are impressed by is that 3 Sided Cube will always make the app do whatever we want it to do, but in a way cooler or better looking way than we had anticipated. This is what I mean by creative.

As far as problem solving, there are times when we will ask them to do something and sometimes they will come back and explain why they’re not going to be able to do it. More often than not, they come back with a solution to the problem at hand when we really push on them.

From a business partner perspective, they quickly understood the importance of our projects, especially the preparedness apps with the alerts, the blood donor apps, the nature of what we do, and the nature of the users of our apps. They get it. Especially with developers, you don’t always want them talking to the internal client. Sometimes my team is the internal client, but for other apps, they’re talking to other internal teams. There are different internal teams who don’t think like we do, but we never have had an issue.

Is there anything 3 Sided Cube could have improved or done differently?

I think from a project management process perspective, we’ve found ourselves almost trying to do too much too quickly. Sometimes we just needed to step back, stop for a second, and analyze things. It’s a matter of them not wanting to say no to us, of course. They’re a great partner and they feel the success.

Another area for improvement is QA [quality assurance]. Because of the nature of the apps, especially the preparedness ones, people’s lives were literally depending on those apps, so my team would do more than UAT [user acceptance testing]. We’d QA the apps, and we almost admitted we were too hard on them. We wanted perfection. Because of that, they eased up a bit on the QA because they knew we were doing it. We always knew this was a problem, and we’ve had extra resources come on to help us QA, but we’re moving away from it and are working with the 3 Sided Cube team to move more of the QA back to their team.

Overall Score With 3 Sided Cube, we won a Webby Award for Best App for our blood donor app. In between there, we’ve had a lot of successes with 3 Sided Cube.
    I don’t think we’ve ever missed a hard deadline that we’ve given them. Now, it may not have been pretty getting there, but I don’t think we’ve ever blown a hard date we’ve given them.
    It’s usually pretty fair, and they’re good about sticking to budget with every project.

App Development for Nonprofit

"We really like that 3 Sided Cube approaches our work as a partner more than as a customer."

3 Sided Cube developed an app, for both the Android and iOS platforms, that could be adapted for the local languages of many different countries.

Washington DC Metro Area
Omar Abou-Samra
Senior Technical Advisor, Global Disaster Preparedness Center

The client emphasizes 3 Sided Cube’s responsiveness and the quality of their work. The app has been released in 79 countries and is available in 36 languages. It continues to grow, as does the client’s partnership with 3 Sided Cube.

The Global Disaster Preparedness Center is a reference center created by the American Red Cross in partnership with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the IFRC.

I am the Senior Advisor for Programs and Partnerships. I lead a portfolio of activities including some app development and app-related activities supporting different national societies in our network, which includes 190 countries.

What business challenge were you trying to address with 3 Sided Cube?

We came to 3 Sided Cube with the idea that we wanted to create a mobile app that could be adapted to different countries and contexts to be delivered to the public in the local language. We did that. We’ve done that really successfully.

3 Sided Cube has been able to help us design and build an easy-to-use content management system that requires almost no training. The app that they have developed is really stable and really reliable so that very little support is needed. We’ve set it up so that we provide basic customer service to our partners or our customers. 3 Sided Cube creates and does the app development and maintenance on the back end. It’s a great partnership and collaboration. We deliver apps on iOS and Android.

How did you come to work with 3 Sided Cube?

We had a competitive process. There were 15 different agencies originally, and 3 Sided Cube won based on their price and the quality of their proposal.

The original proposal was probably in the $200,000 plus range.

I don’t have all the numbers off the top of my head. We have millions of users and many apps in more than a dozen countries. We’ve had smashing success. Our first-aid app right now is live in 79 countries and is available in 36 languages.

What distinguishes 3 Sided Cube from other providers?

We really like that 3 Sided Cube approaches our work as a partner more than as a customer, because that translates to really responsive and friendly customer service, and collaboration on project planning and design. We have a lot of flexibility, and we work to improve our processes as much as possible to address any bugs or challenges. Duncan Cook, Chief Executive Officer, and the team that supports him in 3 Sided Cube are really good guys, and we’ve appreciated working with them for several years as they’ve grown. They’ve been great.

Is there anything 3 Sided Cube could have improved or done differently?

They’re a small company, and there are limitations to working with small companies in the sense that when they take on too much work, sometimes they suffer to deliver on time. We, for the most part, know what to expect at this point, but through their growing pains, we’ve experienced some rocky times, but we’ve always been able to address them directly with them. We’ve had a developing dialogue, and they’re really very responsive to our needs. It’s been a very good experience overall.

Overall Score It’s been a very good experience overall.
    Our maintenance period comes to mind.
    I’ve referred them many times.

App Development for Mental Health Awareness Initiative

"[3 Sided Cube] were very much about the user experience first and foremost."

3 Sided Cube developed a mental health awareness app, designed to deliver information to university students in an engaging, friendly, and non-stigmatizing way.

Stuart Reid
Community Program Manager, Mental Health Charity

3 Sided Cube’s passion for the project and dedication to providing high quality work have led to a strong partnership with the client. The app’s 6,000 downloads to date have far exceeded the client’s expectations of success for their first app launch.

We’re the largest mental health charity in the UK. We have a lot of different functions, but the part that I’m involved in and which 3 Sided Cube has worked on concerns developing programs that help people who are most vulnerable to developing mental health problems stay well.

I am the Community Programs Manager.

What business challenge were you trying to address with 3 Sided Cube?

The challenge was to engage university-aged students to get them to think about their own mental health, but then also to deliver some tips and useful information to the audience in a way that’s going to be engaging, friendly, and non-stigmatizing.

We engaged 3 Sided Cube to develop the app for us. We got much more value from them because they were very engaged with developing the idea and the concept. They developed an idea through consulting with students and potential users, so they very much came up with the concept, though they were brought on board really to develop an idea and to turn that into an app.

How did you come to work with 3 Sided Cube?

We invited any agency to express interest. We had a really good response. I think we probably had about 15 to 20 written responses, and then we short listed 4 app developers that we met and interviewed. We chose 3 Sided Cube based on the way they presented themselves to us in their written expression of interest, but also at the interview where they performed really strongly.

It cost about £100,000 [US $129,815.00].

We’ve launched the app fully. We had a beta launch last October, and then we fully launched the app in February 2016. We’ve so far had around 6,000 downloads, which has exceeded our expectations. We’d never developed an app before. One of the great things about working with 3 Sided Cube was that they really held our hand throughout the whole development process. Because we’d never done it, we didn’t really know how many downloads to expect. I think the immediate impact of the app was huge. We received 2,000 downloads in the first 24 hours, which we just had not expected at all.

What distinguishes 3 Sided Cube from other providers?

I think that there are a lot of things that set them apart. The first thing that struck us about 3 Sided Cube was their enthusiasm for doing a good job for the client. I also think that they are an agency that only wants to take on projects that they really care about because they’re the type of people that throw themselves into something 100%, so they don’t go about anything half-hearted. They are super enthusiastic, so they very much mirror our passion.

The other thing that really impressed us about them was their desire to really understand our work and what we did. They really wanted to have a deep understanding of the impacts of poor mental health and what we were trying to achieve through them. Then, I think the other thing that really attracted us to them was their ability to put the end user at the very center of what they’re doing. They were very much about the user experience first and foremost and using the end user in the development process wherever possible. We love that about them.

They have been a pleasure to work with. They are really nice people to deal with day to day and a really great organization to have on our side.

Is there anything 3 Sided Cube could have improved or done differently?

I don’t think there’s anything that really could have gone better. I think it would be fair to say that you either love them or hate them because they don’t do anything half-hearted. They are who they are, and are very in your face about it. If you like that, then you love that. I can imagine they’re not the agency for everybody, but I also think they are quite selective around who they work with as well, so I think that probably works both ways. They’re not the cheapest, but I look back now on the competition, and they were clearly the best in lots of ways. Absolutely no regrets working with them on this project, and I’m pretty sure we’ll continue to work with them on other projects as well.

They met every single deadline that’s been set, whether that’s a big deadline or a small one. They’ve been superb.
    There was an issue where they asked for a little bit more money to do more when we felt that that wasn’t really something that we could entertain.
    Without a doubt. I think they put quality very high in their own priorities, and we feel that we’ve got a real quality product from them.
    Definitely. I’d recommend them all day long.