Mobile App & Website Development Experts

14 Oranges, is a leading provider of turnkey web and mobile application services to support our customer’s key requirement for simple end user engagement and efficient operational management. Headquartered in Richmond, BC, 14 Oranges sells its services to governments, retail organizations and enterprises.

14 Oranges’ web and mobile application services brings a mobile-first design approach, enabling our customers’ end users to connect with their organization on-the-go, while they in turn manage their organization from their smartphone. Managers realize an immediate return on investment (ROI) from increased end user engagement and an increase in their organization’s productivity.

Richmond, Canada
  • Suite 210 – 10451 Shellbridge Way
    Richmond, BC V6X 2W8

City of Hamilton, City of Surrey, City of Pittsburgh, Town of Arnprior, The Polygon Gallery, Arkansas Education Association, Michigan Education Association, Ohio Education Association, Discount USA Car Rental, Forever Yours Lingerie, Hedge Connection

City of Hamilton: Citizen Engagement Mobile App Image

City of Hamilton: Citizen Engagement Mobile App

The City of Hamilton has deployed 14 Oranges’ Info Grove self-managed mobile app service to engage with residents and visitors of Hamilton. Info Grove allows Hamilton staff members to independently add and update content with the simple to use backend management system. Government officials will now be able to relay information about events, news, and emergencies using their citizen engagement app. Info Grove allows the City of

Hamilton to engage residents with:
  • Two-way communication
  • Updates on events, emergencies, and news.
  • A centralized platform for web content
  • Targeted push notifications
Technical Safety BC: Mobile Application for Mobile Workforce Management Image

Technical Safety BC: Mobile Application for Mobile Workforce Management

14 Oranges developed a mobile application for Technical Safety BC to provide a single set of mobile forms to their field inspectors, to gather and transmit data back into their proprietary safety approval process. The mobile application supports both offline and online data collection, improving the inspector’s on-site performance, with built-in data validation capabilities to reduce the need for return visits. This in-turn has

increased the number of inspections that their field inspectors can perform in a single day.
  • Increased operational efficiency
  • Total number of daily inspections increased
  • Easy to use forms with data collection wizards
  • Works in areas of no cellular coverage
Discount USA Car Rental - Booking Engine and Website Image

Discount USA Car Rental - Booking Engine and Website

Discount USA Car Rental website is the site to use if you are looking to rent a car, truck, Jeep, or SUV for your upcoming trip to the US. The booking engine pulls cars from major car rental companies such as Avis, Hertz, Alamo, Budget, Thrifty, and Dollar.

• Mobile Application Managed Service Delivery
  • Advanced API Integration
  • Rental Request Interface
  • Custom Design and Layout
Forever Yours Lingerie - E-Commerce Website Image

Forever Yours Lingerie - E-Commerce Website

14 Oranges developed the web presence and e-commerce solution for Forever Yours Lingerie, a custom-fit lingerie store based in Vancouver, Canada. The goal was to duplicate as best as possible the in-store experience, which is largely stocked with the European designer brands rarely offered in Canada. Stocked with labels like Chantelle, Panache, Marie Jo, and Prima Donna, the site combines fashion and 14 Oranges e-commerce

know-how to provide a supreme level of comfort and fit for the store’s proprietors.
  • Secure Hosting and E-commerce
  • Mobile-First Design
  • Custom Layouts and Designs
  • Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
City of Richmond: Mobile Workforce Management Service Image

City of Richmond: Mobile Workforce Management Service

The City of Richmond has deployed 14 Oranges’ Metro Grove mobile workforce management service to decouple their front-end inspector UI/UX experience from their legacy backend workforce management systems. This allowed them to retire a paper-based data collection process and an interactive voice response based inspection reporting system, decreasing their field management

costs. The mobile application supports both offline and online data collection, improving the inspector’s ability to work anywhere in the city limits, with built-in data validation capabilities to reduce data entry errors. Contractors and trades can now get almost instantaneous feedback on their inspection results, allowing them to correct any deficiencies more rapidly. This allows Richmond to be a more business-friendly city
  • Increased operational efficiency
  • Save money by replacing legacy data collection processes
  • Leverage smartphones already deployed with staff
  • Increase customer experience and satisfaction
NEC: Custom Unified Communications Mobile Applications Image

NEC: Custom Unified Communications Mobile Applications

NEC has selected Apivio as the provider of their Android OS based deskphones for their line of IP PBXs. 14 Oranges is the mobile application provider of choice onto this versatile handset, and is tasked with providing apps to integrate into end-customers ERP and CRM systems. Not only can the applications run on the Android OS based deskphone, but the applications can also be ported onto Android and iPhone handsets for increased

reach beyond the desk.
  • Custom VoIP applications
  • ERP and CRM integrations
  • Mobile Unified Communications
  • Increased end-customer efficiency

Mobile App Dev for Education Union

"Everyone at the company was friendly and eager to solve any problems or questions that came up."

June - Sept. 2018

14 Oranges Software created a members-only mobile app for Android and iOS devices for an education union. They used a custom CMS and trained the client in its usage.

Federal Way, Washington
Adam Isaguirre
Digital Content Specialist, Washington Education Association

The app has launched and made it easy for the client to organize members more efficiently and immediately. 14 Oranges Software delivered a high-quality, flexible app with clear guidelines and an easy-to-use backend. Prompt deliveries, friendly people, and quick responses characterized this workflow.

I'm a digital content specialist for the Washington Education Association, the largest education union in Washington state.

For what projects/services did your company hire 14 Oranges Software?

We developed a member app using 14 Oranges custom CMS.

We wanted a simple member app to reduce the use of paper at our events, and give members an all-in-one place to get news and information related to their membership.

After going through an RFP, we found 14 Oranges had the experience of delivering similar apps for other education unions, and fit our price point for the project.

14 Oranges CMS was exactly what we needed, offering a simple CMS that could tie into our existing processes and did not require much new time investment to customize content to the app. They trained our staff in the CMS over three sessions and helped us decide how best to structure our app to meet our needs. They then used their expertise in the publishing apps via Apple and Google to hold our hand throughout that process. They gave us clear checklists and guidelines that made it smooth and easy.

We worked with an account manager, product expert and the CEO throughout the process. They were always responsive to our requests and helped us move very quickly.

The app has become our go-to tool at large events. It's made it easy to provide in one place event schedules, travel information, hotel information and more. We use it to spur action from our members and report back on tasks they've completed at events. And we feel the CMS is flexible enough to expand to other uses moving forward.

Things were very smooth. Often 14 Oranges was there to prompt us to stay on schedule and move things along. We never had to wait on them for anything.

Everyone at the company was friendly and eager to solve any problems or questions that came up. They were so responsive and always found a way to give us solutions when we needed them.

Nothing comes to mind.

Overall Score They move quick, they are fairly priced, and eager to help you complete your project.
    They were flexible and easy to schedule with.
    Excellent! They were a fraction of the cost of some other options we looked at.
    No complaints, everything was professional and responsive.
    Their CMS is easy and customizable.

Mobile App Development for Women's Health App

"They’re good listeners and take care of their clients."

2016 - Ongoing

14 Oranges Software managed full stack development of an iOS app to track menopause symptoms for a women’s health network. The team resolves product challenges and executes platform updates.

1 Employee

Vancouver, Canada
Deborah Kerr
Founder, Vergo Women's Health Network Ltd.

14 Oranges Software communicates technical concepts clearly to provide valuable guidance that results in exemplary project management. The team delivers effective updates to continue building a more successful mobile app. They are responsive and transparent to support a long-term partnership.

I’m the Founder of Vergo Women’s Health Network. I wanted to build an organization dedicated to supporting women’s knowledge of menopause. There’s a staggering amount of misinformation, bad information, and brutal information on the internet about menopause, which is causing dysfunction and despair in the world of menopausal females.

What challenge were you trying to address with 14 Oranges Software?

I wanted to create a menopause symptom tracker. One of the single most important resources that helps a woman during menopause is understanding her symptoms. The conundrum is that most women don’t know what symptoms are menopausal. As a result, they have no sense that they’re going through menopause.

14 Oranges Software built an iOS app available in the Apple Store. I provided their team with a decision tree for my app hand-written on pieces of paper. I met with a teammate of theirs who writes code as well as the owner of the company. From there, they took my pieces of paper and brought the product to life.

The next phase involved beta testing, which their team organized for me. We had about 25 beta testers who were technically unsavvy women. Part of the beta testing was to identify where users would run into problems or platform glitches that 14 Oranges Software fixed.

Then, we launched the app as a much more polished product than we had for testing. They’re providing ongoing development support. Through their day to day use of the app, users will send emails with suggestions. I’ll sit down with the 14 Oranges Software team about the ideas and they’ll give me a quote for the work.

Three people from 14 Oranges Software worked on this project. I communicated with a brainiac code writer, a software teammate, and Sylvain (Founder and CEO, 14 Oranges Software), who was my shepherd. He kept me in tune with the project, kept me organized, and watched my back.

How did you come to work with 14 Oranges Software?

At the time when I sought a developer, I saw a television ad of theirs one night. I met with people in development who told me to go offshore but that option requires you to know what you're doing. I didn’t know what I was doing, all I knew was my area of expertise—menopause.

We’ve spent between $35,000–$40,000 on the app.

We began working together in early 2016 and I’m still working with them.

The development phase was absolutely impeccable; on a scale of 1–10, it was a ten. The launch went smoothly too. Their team made different upgrades and the product’s pretty darn good now. There were glitches along the way from different areas of the world and 14 Orangies Software dropped what they were doing to fix the problems immediately.

How did 14 Oranges Software perform from a project management standpoint?

Usually, we communicate by email because Sylvain watches his email closely. He gets back to me quickly. I go to him directly for issues and he decides which person in his company can best fix a glitch. He realizes that technology is not my strength, so he translates the work for me. He always admits when their team drops the ball. If a feature was coded wrong, they stated their mistake and said it was their responsibility to address it at no charge. Their honesty's priceless.

They’re good listeners and take care of their clients. Sylvain’s always watching my back. He’s aware of the project and takes the time to communicate its status. He provides suggestions and lays out options to create a dialogue between us. That was a strength.

No, I don’t think so. 14 Oranges Software’s knowledgeable and responds to glitches. Their team’s tuned into the long-term relationship and I’m suited to that type of partnership. I don’t have any negative feedback whatsoever. I admire their honesty and they admire my honesty.

Ask what possible glitches 14 Oranges Software can anticipate. Ask if they can anticipate any glitches or if they see any possible issues with the product.

Mobile App Dev for Entertainment Application

"If they say they’ll do something, they’ll do it."

May 2018 - Ongoing

14 Oranges Software developed a production release of an Android and iOS app based on an existing prototype. Events include augmented visuals for users and real-time information.

1-10

Vancouver, Canada
Chief Product Officer, Entertainment App

The app has been involved in major events and has recorded about 50,000 downloads. 14 Oranges Software is a friendly and responsive team and they provide skillful development resources.

I’m the founder and chief product officer of a firm with an app that’s used in live production environments. Users of our app have access to information about the event they’re attending, and the app creates visual effects overlaid on the surrounding environment. We can also push statistics to the user’s phone in real time without access to data or Wi-Fi.

What challenge were you trying to address with 14 Oranges Software?

We needed a solid app developer right out of the gate for native Android and iOS apps. We had been using sub-contractors whom I knew through my previous work with software as a service. I wanted a central project manager I could count on.

I developed a prototype or beta version of the app and then 14 Oranges developed it to the level of a production release. I provided code from the prototype and they worked based on that code. My code was in Python, but they translated it to Java for Android and Objective-C for iOS. They built in content management.

I worked with their project manager and their lead developer. They had some other developers as well.

How did you come to work with 14 Oranges Software?

When I was first working with this app, I didn’t have much experience with iOS. There’s a lot of coding hoops to jump through, and I was pretty confused. I Googled a local app development firm, and the owner, Sylvain (CEO and President, 14 Oranges Software) took my call. He advised me on how to set up all my certificates properly. He was good enough to lend me a hand when I needed it.

Once I started to get investment into the app, I realized I couldn’t control it as well as I wanted and I needed professional support. I thought of Sylvain again. I knew his team was professional and had a bunch of processes in place that I needed help with, so I asked 14 Oranges to become my development firm of record.

We’ve spent least 300,000 CAD ($225,000 USD).

We started working together in May 2018 and the engagement is ongoing.

We’ve recorded about 50,000 downloads, including significant involvement with a major performing arts event and a concert tour.

How did 14 Oranges Software perform from a project management standpoint?

They know their systems and if they say they’ll do something, they’ll do it. We communicated with them using email and Skype.

They’re very easy to work with.

There was a little bit of a bottleneck with one of the Android developers because he was part-time. 14 Oranges made up for that with a different in-house developer, whom we used primarily for iOS, and we were able to use him for Android as well.

Mobile App Dev for Homebuilding Association

"They went above and beyond to deliver for us."

Jan. - Apr. 2019

14 Oranges Software designed and developed a new version of a mobile app. They migrated content, supported backend authentication and user profiles, improved UX, and provided staff training.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Kristen Krempp
Director of Communication and Special Events, Builders Association of Greater Indianapolis

They successfully replicated all desired functionality from the previous app while developing other improvements. Positive internal feedback has focused on the accessibility of the backend. Expect 14 Oranges Software to follow a straightforward and accountable process and meet their commitments.

I am the director of communication and special events for BAGI, a member-based association in the new home building industry. We promote our region’s new home construction, educate both our members and consumers on the homebuilding industry’s standards, practices and happenings, and provide networking opportunities to encourage member business opportunities and success.

For what projects/services did your company hire 14 Oranges Software?

We needed to find a new developer for our member-facing app who could meet our membership communication needs.

We wanted to seamlessly transfer our existing app content for a positive and improved UX for our existing membership. We require backend authentication of members in order to better streamline the sharing and approvals process. We wanted to offer the app through the App Store, and to develop a profile form that users could fill out when downloading the app to segment them into groups for messaging based on their preferences.

My coworker found them in an online search after we had researched and spoken with four other developers. Through a couple of discussions, we saw that 14 Oranges Software was the best fit for delivering our needs within our budget and offering the support necessary to find solutions for the functionality they didn't yet support.

They went through our existing app and transferred relevant content to their Info Grove platform while developing group-based messaging and new user profile functionality for us. They worked with me to align our branding and improve overall UX. Once they launched the app, they trained me and four staff members on how to manage the backend, create new content, manage users, and send messages to respective groups. They continue to provide support as needed when questions arise.

I worked directly with 14 Oranges and then looped in staff members when relevant for content and when it was time to train.

When we lost our previous app developer, it created unexpected and unforeseen communication challenges for us. 14 Oranges provided us with all the functionality we had before and also improved upon all the areas we were looking to change. The backend has been very user-friendly and easy to learn thus far.

Their process was very proper and professional. They kept me well-informed and provided clear deadlines and direction for deliverables. They met all deadlines.

They went above and beyond to deliver for us. They upheld their commitments and surpassed them on every level as they worked to find solutions for any challenge we encountered along the way.

No, we’re completely satisfied.

They were very attentive and easy to contact.
    Their price was comparable to or slightly under others we researched.
    I've already received messages complimenting the upgrade.
    I strongly recommend them.

iOS/ Android App Dev for Teachers' Union

"Everyone we worked with was capable, quick, friendly, and went above and beyond the minimum requirements."

Apr. - June 2018

14 Oranges Software designed and developed an iOS and Android app that produces digital membership cards with QR codes. The solution supports PDF uploading and features an icon- and grid-based UI.

St Paul, Minnesota
Sarah Cooke
Digital Content Coordinator, Education Minnesota

The app has received excellent feedback, which speaks to 14 Oranges’ responsiveness and willingness to resolve any issue, no matter how small. Not only were they available via multiple channels, but they also worked nimbly and displayed a passion for quality that stands out in the industry.

I’m the digital content coordinator for Education Minnesota—the teachers’ union representing more than 90,000 educators across the state.

For what projects/services did your company hire 14 Oranges Software?

We needed to develop a mobile app for our union.

Before this, we had an events app but no general mobile app, so we wanted to bring our union work into the 21st century. The app was to be a way for our members to download a membership card, get the latest news, and find events and trainings near them.

Other state teachers’ unions recommended 14 Oranges.

The Android/iOS app has at least a dozen different icons displayed in a grid format, several of which contain dropdown lists. We're able to upload PDFs of our monthly magazine for online viewing, and users can enter their name and the name of their local union to obtain a digital membership card with a QR code.

We dealt mainly with the CEO and our project manager.

Two months after the launch, our app has been downloaded more than 1,500 times and has received excellent feedback.

We communicated primarily by email, but they were always a phone call away if something urgent came up. The CEO and our project manager were responsive and helpful.

14 Oranges knows their stuff. Everyone we worked with was capable, quick, friendly, and went above and beyond the minimum requirements.

No, I can’t think of anything.

iOS & Android App Dev for Think Tank

“14 Oranges Software demonstrated a commitment to clear, consistent, and patient communication with our team.”

May 2017 - June 2018

14 Oranges Software designed and developed a mobile app for iOS and Android based on a preexisting WordPress site. The backend is easy to modify in-house, especially with the training they provided.

Ottawa, Ontario
Brett Byers-Lane
Manager, Macdonald-Laurier Institute

14 Oranges Software produced an app with the potential to increase user engagement across multiple channels, lower the bounce rate, and generate a high ROI by soliciting leads and donations. The team accommodated both the nonprofit-level budget and scheduling expectations to deliver promptly.

I am the Communications and Digital Media Manager at the Macdonald-Laurier Institute (MLI), an Ottawa-based non-partisan public policy think tank. I manage our social media platforms, maintain our website and web traffic, and help handle media requests.

For what projects/services did your company hire 14 Oranges Software?

We hired 14 Oranges Software to create a mobile app for Android and iOS that we could maintain in-house. The app needed to streamline our web content and encourage users to sign up for and engage with our other digital mediums like email and social media.

Our short-term goal was for the app to serve as another platform for users to consume our content. Over the long-term, it will serve as a high-engagement, low-bounce rate platform for returning users. We hope to leverage this traction into high-return donor funding and email signups.

We compared and contrasted a variety of vendors we found via web searches and network connections.

14 Oranges Software developed an app to make our web content more user-friendly on Android and iOS mobile devices.  They built the app to be self-updating and structured the back-end so it’s easy to manage in-house.

They based the design on our existing WordPress website. 14 Oranges Software also provided our team with the training and technical competencies necessary to update the app in-house over the long term.

We dealt with a small, consistent team from 14 Oranges Software.

14 Oranges Software had a keen ability to build a system which addressed our needs and met all our expectations. They delivered the exact product we wanted right on schedule.  Charging reasonable prices for our nonprofit, they adhered to the budget we laid out.

They offered critical support to mitigate unforeseen issues with the App Store and made the necessary tweaks to certain aspects of the app after delivery. 14 Oranges Software has been incredibly timely and easy to work with when addressing changes.

14 Oranges Software demonstrated a commitment to clear, consistent, and patient communication with our team. We collaborated directly over the phone and via email. They worked flexibly with our schedule and had no trouble meeting deadlines. The team played an active role in resolving technical and delivery issues.

14 Oranges Software’s primary strengths were facilitating secure collaboration and showing a marked dedication to resolving unexpected issues.

More comprehensive app training including hands-on instruction would benefit the backend managers.

Overall Score 14 Oranges is a perfect solution for non-profit organizations.
    14 Oranges worked with our schedules and made the collaborative process easy.
    Even as a non-profit, the price was affordable and reasonable.
    The app met all our expectations.
    Anyone looking to make their website more user friendly as an app should consider 14 Oranges Software.

Mobile App Dev for Mining Support Company

“They've provided a great solution for our internal staff, improving productivity and accessibility to information.”

Oct. - Dec. 2017

14 Oranges created a mobile app for iOS and Android that allows users to access and sort through documents without an internet connection. It also includes forms and references to external resources.

Victoria, Canada
Ed Ma
Safety Manager, Orica

14 Oranges delivered a high-functioning app solution that includes valuable tools and resources for internal employees. They met both timeline and budget expectations and communicated well throughout the process. They'll definitely be engaged again for the next phase of development.

I'm the health and safety manager for Orica Canada, a global mining support business.

What challenge were you trying to address with 14 Oranges Software?

We had some documents and reference materials that were only available by PDF or hard copy, so we were looking for a solution that could make the documents readily accessible by users on their phones without having to rely on internet connectivity.

After going over our goals, 14 Oranges drafted a plan and laid out the scope of work. They developed a mobile app for iOS and Android that allows users to access reference materials, procedures, and contact information without an internet connection. They added other forms and quick links to external resources, including a touch-to-dial or touch-to-email feature. Users can fill out forms remotely and choose to send them once they're back in a location with cell service of wifi.

We worked with the owner, a lead developer, and a couple other support staff.

How did you come to work with 14 Oranges Software?

We searched for local vendors within Canada and came across 14 Oranges.

We've invested about $12,000 CAD (about $9,330 USD).

We started talking to 14 Oranges around April 2017 and officially started development around October. We were ready to pilot the app by December, but ended up launching it internally in April 2018. We'll engage them again for additional enhancements and features in the upcoming months.

The app is working very well thus far. They've provided a great solution for our internal staff, improving productivity and accessibility to information. We haven't had any major issues or bugs, and users are already making suggestions for the next phase of development.

How did 14 Oranges Software perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is effective; they delivered on schedule and in line with original cost estimates. They're responsive through both phone and email and we were happy to also meet with them in-person initially.

The owner happens to speak French, which helped us on the delivery of the French version of the app for our Canadian users. Overall, their team is great at communicating and I'd highly recommend working with them.

iOS & Android App Dev for Pharmaceutical Association

“They delivered a product that exceeded expectations and brings a new level of depth to our work.”

Oct. 2017 - Mar. 2018

14 Oranges designed and developed a mobile app (iOS and Android) for users to access customizable information, including events and classes. They also integrated a third-party tool for advocacy.

Seattle, Washington
Janet Anderson
Marketing & Communications Manager, Washington State Pharmacy Association

14 Oranges built a comprehensive app that's exceeded expectations and received positive feedback and excitement from internal staff. Professional, courteous, and responsive throughout, their team delivered a high-quality product despite a limited budget that had been turned away by competitors.

I'm the marketing and communications manager for the Washington State Pharmacy Association, a 125-year-old organization that represents pharmacists of all types of practices within the state. We currently serve about 2,000 members.

What challenge were you trying to address with 14 Oranges?

We needed to develop a robust app that linked to our website, serving as a communications tool for all of our members, while promoting our continuing education programs, events, and member academies (distinctions within the industry).

We also needed help with advocacy, as we do a lot of work for pharmacists within Washington, including the promotion of certain legislation or laws that enable pharmacists and pharmacies to better care for patients.

14 Oranges designed and developed a grid-style mobile app (iOS and Android) to showcase communications within our organization, linking directly to our website. They incorporated icons to represent all the work we do, as well as an interactive calendar that allows users to register for events and classes, saving that information directly into their personal digital calendars. Users can access classes directly through their mobile device or online.

They built out a news feed and membership registration section, as well as a tab for accessing our magazine and social media accounts. The settings icon they built allows users to adjust the app to fit their needs concerning what information they want to see.

Their team also worked with a third-party on certain advocacy features, allowing users to use the app to reach out to their legislators or lawmakers directly.

We were assigned to a project manager and we occasionally worked with about three or four others.

How did you come to work with 14 Oranges?

They found us. I received a cold call from their company and liked how responsive they were and the fact that they were in our same time zone. As soon as my search for a vendor got serious, they were at the top of my list.

We've been working with them since October 2017 and we expect to launch the app this week [in early March 2018]. We're going to continue to expand on the app as we get more feedback from our members over time.

The app is very comprehensive, which we're incredibly happy about. Although we haven't formally launched it yet, everyone who's seen the app is amazed by their work. They delivered a product that exceeded expectations and brings a new level of depth to our work.

How did 14 Oranges perform from a project management standpoint?

They've always been very professional, courteous, and responsive. The entire project moved along smoothly and their team provided clear instructions throughout, communicating to us mostly by email and phone without any issues.

Their team went above and beyond to make us happy with the final product; we couldn't be more pleased.

Their team is also incredibly approachable. Not only do they have a thorough understanding of the type of work they do, but they've also acted within our best interests and even worked within the limits of our budget. When I mentioned my budget to the other development companies, they turned me away, so I appreciate that 14 Oranges was willing to pursue our project.

Since it's the first time I've been involved on a project like this, it would be useful for a customer like me to get some more training to help me become more comfortable with the types of technologies they're employing.

WordPress Web & Mobile App Dev for Professional Association

“They’re very easygoing and roll with issues as they come up.”

2017 - Ongoing

14 Oranges redesigned and built out a WordPress website. Using their own mobile app development software, they created an accompanying app for iOS and Android. The team continually develops new app features.

Arkansas
Communications Specialist, Professional Association

Their app software makes it possible to manage an app without coding skills. The revamped website is a success as users appreciate its streamlined interface and responsiveness. Offering quick communication and flexible scheduling, 14 Oranges delivers on project expectations.

I’m the communications specialist of a professional association for educators.

What challenge were you trying to address with 14 Oranges Software?

Our website wasn’t mobile responsive and with more of our membership was using phones or tablets to access the internet, we needed to update the site. To further connect with our members, we also wanted to develop a mobile app.

We initially collaborated on the website design by discussing what we were looking to accomplish. They put together a design and made changes per our feedback. With an outline in place, they revamped our website site using WordPress and created a template we can easily update content with.

They also developed our app for iOS and Android using a service they created called Info Grove. Utilizing self-managed software, Info Grove allows me to makes changes or add content to the app with only basic computer skills. They’re developing new features to integrate based on internal and external innovations.

Their CEO is my main contact for this engagement. I also interact with select team members as needed (e.g., the lead app developer or web designer).

How did you come to work with 14 Oranges Software?

We saw work they had done with other education associations and were impressed. Also, we considered the ability to manage the app ourselves without having to hire a designated coder valuable.

The project began in 2017 and the engagement is ongoing.

The app officially launched in November 2017 but we’ve only recently started to promote it heavily. As a result, it has 100 downloads so far, but we expect that number to increase.

We’ve gotten positive feedback from members regarding the website. It’s much easier to use and they appreciate accessing it on their phones. It’s a vast improvement over the previous site.

How did 14 Oranges Software perform from a project management standpoint?

We’d have a set meeting each week and occasionally I’d have to cancel. They remained flexible and would quickly reschedule. When necessary, the CEO would bring in team members via video-chat to teach me how the app backend works or how to make website changes. To conclude each call, we’d outline what each person needed to accomplish to move the project forward.

We used Trello to manage everything and send tasks to one another. They’re extremely easy to work with.

They’re very easygoing and roll with issues as they come up. If we have a problem, I can quickly tell them and they take care of it. Also, the software they've developed for the app is very user-friendly. Its backend is similar to a CMS [Customer Management Software] platform and I appreciate the work they put in to develop that.

The only issue we had was losing an archive of news posts when switching to the new site. We didn’t save the material and I guess they didn’t realize we wanted to keep it.

Additionally, working closely with us to market the new website would’ve been helpful. Although, they did help issue a press release, so that’s more of a suggestion than a complaint.

Outsourced Web Dev Projects for Financial Company

“They hire skilled developers, meet deadlines, and deliver a high-quality product.”

2014 - Ongoing

After acquiring a long-term web development partner, 14 Oranges seamlessly maintained the website and app development for a financial services firm. Technology includes PHP, MySQL, HTML, Java, iOS, Android, and more.

Co-founder, Financial Company

Maintaining an open line of communication, 14 Oranges delivers high-quality sites and apps that operate cleanly and consistently for company clientele. They ease the internal workload, and provide a cost-effective solution.

We are a financial services company that introduces investment firms, such as hedge funds and private equity firms, to investors. The introductions happen both online through our website, and offline at our events. I am a co-founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with 14 Oranges?

We are heavily web-based, and have outsourced our web development since we came up with the original idea for our company in 2005.

They provide the technology and programming work for our website, including PHP, MySQL, HTML, Java, etc. It is a large, complex website that includes a social network, online introductory service, payment options, an internal CRM, and a database of financial products, including analytics. 14 Oranges also builds specific websites for our conferences and events, providing payment solutions, and developing iOS and Android mobile apps. We have considered hiring an internal programmer, but they are still a more cost-efficient solution. I work closely with them, and we stay heavily involved.

We have a lead developer for our web-based content, and the owner, Sylvain [CEO and President, 14 Oranges], works with me as our project manager. We also have at least one mobile app developer.

How did you come to work with 14 Oranges?

14 Oranges bought our web development partner about three years ago, around 2014. Our original programmer is a personal friend, and we had worked together since 2005. The transition was seamless, and we continued to work with the same developer after the acquisition.

We’ve been working together for years and will continue to do so.

Their quality is high. By the time a new app or product is launched, we never have issues. They make sure our clients receive good products to work from, and our apps and website work cleanly. They make our job much easier.

How did 14 Oranges perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very good. Sylvain comes up with organized timelines to meet completion dates and goals. I’m really happy with them. Over the past three years, I’ve worked with a number of lead developers, all of which were high-quality. I’ve always been impressed with them, and plan to continue.

No, I don’t have anything particular that I would change.

We have an open line of communication with them that helps. They’re totally open to weekly calls, and will even initiate them.

Overall Score I like working with them.
    They are very concerned about keeping up with deadlines.
    Their pricing is competitive and fair.
    They stay on top of everything.
    I have recommended them, and am very likely to continue.