Creating intelligent experiences

10Pearls builds intelligent experiences that help businesse grow. We design, develop, deploy, and maintain software, web and mobile applications.

As a leading provider of end-to-end digital services, we combine our unique Agile approach with our deep understanding of the latest technologies to support our clients throughout the development lifecycle. Whether your in-house development team needs support or you’re ready to reimagine your business model entirely, we’re the only partner you’ll need for digital transformation.

Our services include

• New product development
  • DevOps
  • Customer experience (CX) and UX/UI design
  • Enterprise software development
  • Mobile and web app development
  • Cybersecurity and SecOps

Frameworks and CMS
Programming & scripting
Application platform

iOS App Development for IT Consultancy

“They made a name for themselves for doing mobile apps.”

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

10Pearls amplified an IT company’s skills by developing an iOS application that tracks vehicle maintenance. They assisted with wireframes, documentation, design, and testing. The app contains security features.

Ashburn, Virginia
CEO, IT Company

The end customer gave positive feedback expressing their satisfaction with the app. 10Pearls addressed issues with receptivity and responsiveness. They delivered quality work accompanied by continuous status updates.

We provide professional IT consulting services.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearls?

We wanted to use 10Pearls’ expertise to augment our capabilities to deliver a complete package solution to our client.

They helped us develop an iOS app that tracks vehicle maintenance. The app includes security features. The app was hosted off of the cloud. We use Amazon Web Services for cloud services. They assisted with wireframes and documentation. They provided design work as well.

There’s some security testing in progress on the app and 10Pearls provides help with things that come up from time to time.

There were two developers I interacted with. There was also a project manager.

How did you come to work with 10Pearls?

I had known the owner for quite some time. They made a name for themselves for doing mobile apps. I wanted to give them an opportunity.

We started working together in September 2017 and the work is ongoing.

We received feedback from the end customer and they like the app a lot. When there were issues, they addressed them.

How did 10Pearls perform from a project management standpoint?

They performed pretty well. There were some challenges that we communicated to them. We use email and Skype. We also use Microsoft Project as an integrated project management schedule tool.

They deliver work on a timely basis. The quality of work is good.

They’ve taken corrective actions on project management personnel that was interacting with us. They’ve improved that area.

Interact with their project manager closely. Make sure there is involvement from your company with their project manager on a routine basis.

They were precise in maintaining the schedule. They were diligent about giving us the status of the various activities that were given to them.
    They were good.

Analytics Software Dev for Healthcare Firm

“Not only do they want to succeed, they strive to produce functionally and visually unique software.”

Jan 2018 - Ongoing

10Pearl is building an integrated medical analytics software. So far, they’ve created an interactive demo that includes charts and task management capabilities.

DC Metro Area
CEO, Managed Medicaid Company

The demo featured a sleek design and accessible functionality. Although maintaining a project list would improve transparency, 10Pearls encouraged collaboration with numerous stakeholders and leveraged their expertise to offer invaluable technical insights.

I’m the founder and CEO of a healthcare firm that provides Medicaid managed care.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearl?

In order to expand our clientele and generate profits, we must identify those predisposed towards certain high-cost and high-risk health conditions. We manage healthcare for high-risk members to help mitigate medical expenses. We currently lack an integrated system to deliver care management; instead, we operate our business using ad-hoc SQL reports and Excel. We needed resources to develop an integrated analytics software.

10Pearl invited 30 of our stakeholders to their design studio for two days to brainstorm platform ideas and establish the project goals. They then built wireframes and mockups and shared them with us through InVision. Synthesizing our feedback, they created a clickable demo, which features a user-friendly design, clean charts, and task queues. They’re currently proceeding into a full development stage and are preparing to migrate our data warehouse from Azure to AWS.

The core team includes a project manager, who facilitates daily tasks and meetings; two UX developers, who work remotely; and a data specialist, who primarily collaborates with our CIO and consultant to build the data and system infrastructure.

How did you come to work with 10Pearl?

I met their CEO through our mutual professional network. Although I researched other companies, I noticed 10Pearl’s high referral rate and award-winning reputation. They also boasted an impressive client base. I met with them a few times and liked what they had to say.

We prefer to keep the project cost confidential at this time.

Work began in January 2018 and is ongoing.

We value the amount of thought they’ve put into the software demo. So far, its functionality has generated positive feedback and excitement from our internal team.

In terms of collaboration, their two-day design studio encouraged an inclusive development process that pushed us to involve stakeholders beyond the subject-matter experts.

Furthermore, we appreciate that they learned enough about our business to have a thoughtful debate with us on system functionalities. As a result, they’re able to offer valuable insights that we haven’t considered or have overlooked.

How did 10Pearl perform from a project management standpoint?

They maintain tight timelines to ensure we adhere to our semi-weekly meetings and sufficiently review documents before communicating. We primarily collaborate through Basecamp and InVision, where we provide live feedback on the mockups and wireframes. This allows us to track comments from stakeholders across multiple departments and promotes transparency.

We admire their ambitious spirit and desire to exceed expectations. Not only do they want to succeed, they strive to produce functionally and visually unique software. That drive resonates through their entire team, from developers to executives.

Although Basecamp and InVision help foster a transparent collaboration, 10Pearls could benefit from incorporating a running list of comments and feedback. Occasionally, they would note a change that we made but would not include it in future memos. Only when confirming the change, would they provide us with their notes. A transparent running list of project tasks would serve all parties to ensure task completion.

Nothing comes to mind.

Mobile App Dev for Payment System

"We’ve ended our contracts with the other firms because 10Pearls did such good work."

2013 - Ongoing

10Pearls built a brand-new Android and iOS app for electronic payment processing. They designed over an existing gateway to accommodate various inputs and API expansion. They now support other projects.

Chantilly, Virginia
Matt Clyne
Fmr. CEO, Broken Timber

10Pearls' efficiency and expertise enhanced uptime, reduced third-party customer upset, and helped build revenue. They receive feedback well and respond quickly to inquiries, expediting delivery of top-notch solutions across multiple projects.

Broken Timber processes electronic payments. I was their CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearls?

We initially brought them on to develop a mobile app with us.

They built a brand-new Android and iOS app over an existing gateway and integrated it with various other systems. It handles electronic payments from various inputs, including online and POS retailers. We already had a payment gateway, so the app was designed to build out our API and integrate it into that existing gateway. 10Pearls also provides maintenance and other support services.

There is an assigned project manager. I’m not sure how big their team is, but work peaked at about 400 hours per month.

How did you come to work with 10Pearls?

We were outsourcing to a group in India and another in Canada. We wanted to consolidate and get more value for our money. A colleague worked with 10Pearls and recommended them.

We’ve spent over $1 million on our various projects with them.

We started working together in 2013. The initial project wrapped up in 2016, but we assigned them other projects and the relationship is ongoing.

Our cost went down and our quality went up, especially in terms of our delivery speeds. Our biggest issue with the old system was downtime. Even a short time offline in the middle of the night could upset clients running huge batches or moving money and cause major customer service problems. 10Pearls stabilized our platform and moved us to the cloud to avoid outages. They’re instrumental in increasing system uptime. We’ve ended our contracts with the other firms because 10Pearls did such good work.

How did 10pearls perform from a project management standpoint?

I don’t work with them every day. I get updates from them and everything seems to work well. To my knowledge, the rest of my team interacts with them through Basecamp.

We got things done with minimal iterations. They were flexible if we had to change specifications or make updates for clients. They deliver quickly on requests and finish projects within a fraction of the time it took our old vendors. We also appreciate that they’re local to us and can work during our regular workday.

I don’t have anything they should change, but will always be happier with a lower price tag.

Communicate with them and don’t worry about overcommunicating. They’re willing to talk.

I'm always looking for ways to reduce our costs.
    Their quality is very good.
    I've referred lots of business to them.

Secure Cloud Platform Development

“All the deliverables were excellent […] From a cost to value standpoint, I couldn't give them higher marks.”

Mar. - Dec. 2017

10Pearls built a cybersecurity and software product on Azure, integrated with a CMS and Microsoft Outlook. To model the design, the team created an interactive mockup that refined the UX and workflow.

McLean, VA
William Mahan
Team Lead, Compliant Clouds

10Pearls met all the requirements for both the design and the security aspects of the product. After finishing the project both on time and on budget, the company landed their first customer within two weeks of going live. Despite hybrid shore teams, they communicated intuitively and reliably.

I'm the founder of Compliant Clouds. Our company is both a software and cybersecurity product. We enable companies to meet security requirements while performing their normal business activities. The way we design security into apps is also somewhat transparent to the user.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearls?

I came to 10Pearls with basically just a concept. I had several user stories that indicated what I wanted users to experience, as well as extensive security requirements to lay into this software application.

It was really a two-part engagement. First, they made an interactive mockup. From a user experience perspective, it considered workflows, from log ins to file management and email integration. They defined the product’s look and feel like, which let me start the preliminary marketing aspects, and let the development team create a detailed cost estimate. They used an Azure platform which is integrate with a CMS and content Microsoft Outlook email for the primary infrastructure and software integration.

10Pearls was able to make my dream into a reality. As part of our design team, they created a mockup of the product. As a security team, they designed the security architecture. Ultimately, as a development team, they built the product itself. They were there from the beginning all the way until now. We're currently in market, selling the product to companies.

On the user experience side, I had dedicated project managers throughout. We also had five or six UI/UX developers for the first part of the engagement, the interactive mockup. For the second half, I had both an onsite project manager and an offshore technical project manager, as well as a team of 15-17 developers.

How did you come to work with 10Pearls?

I stumbled upon 10Pearls by searching for “best software development firms” on Google. They were featured in several blog posts. I sent them an email, and their founder responded on the weekend saying our project sounded great, and that he'd love to meet within two days. Even at the outset of the engagement, he brought in the leadership to say our idea seemed worth pursuing.

I went through 2-3 providers prior, and ended up terminating those contracts because neither could meet both our software development and security requirements. Of the many software development teams out there, few understand security requirements relative to the government and government contractors. 10Pearls was the one that did. Of 10 quotes I solicited, they weren't the cheapest, but were by the least risky, and I could tell they knew exactly what to do and how they would go about it.

The mock-up was a six-week engagement from March to May 2017. We did the development engagement for three and a half months, from September to December 2017.

They developed a product that was marketable, and I landed my first customer within two weeks of going live. They met all the requirements for both the design and the security aspects. You can't get much better than what they completed. It was pretty remarkable.

One of the best things they did was to come in on time and on budget. That's unheard of in the software development world. Usually, the costs doubles by the end of engagement. As a startup, I didn't have a padded capitalization budget where I’d raised twice the stated amount to build the product. They accommodated my narrow budget margin.

How did 10Pearls perform from a project management standpoint?

I was absolutely happy with the level of communication. We used Jira, email, and mostly Slack. I’d been a bit nervous about using a blended shore team, in terms of the geographical separation and the quality of oral and written communication, but they were fantastic. They intuitively understood exactly what I was going for.

Their leadership is what ultimately distinguishes them from their competitors. The CTO and Chief Security Officer really wanted their customers to succeed, and delivered both the technology and security that's necessary for success.

When they presented options, they gave them each equal weight, even if there was an array of five to choose from. Perhaps they could give a clear recommendation for what they think is best, and present the other options as secondary.

The level of detail in my requirements enabled 10Pearls to succeed. Come to them with your ideal requirements, and they can turn them into a reality. My overall experience was so great that I trusted them in a lot of ways for areas in which I didn't know the answers. Even when I only had a general concept of what I wanted, they were able to extrapolate great new solutions. They gave me the kind of feedback that always kept the project going.

Overall Score Great communications, great turnaround on action, and great recommendations.
    We finished ahead of schedule, and did the QA before the project was even supposed to be complete, which allowed me to get on the market so quickly.
    From a cost to value standpoint, I couldn't give them higher marks.
    From the technical iterations, to configuring the integrated systems, to adjusting end user experience, all the deliverables were excellent.
    I already have recommended them.

SaaS and App Dev for Car Software

“They were usually a couple steps ahead of us as we moved from areas in which we needed help.”

May 2013 - July 2016

10Pearls developed a UX, aided in development of an iOS and Android app, and used DHTML to build a custom SaaS web service platform.

Charleston, South Carollina
Navin Ganeshan
Chief Product Officer, Zubie

10Pearls’ work helped the company maintain a 4-star rating on Amazon and rise to second in the U.S. industry for car-connected providers. They seamlessly blended a full portfolio of services which didn't falter amidst scope changes, and their respect for client needs was exceptional.

I was the Chief Product Officer of Zubie, a connected car company.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearls?

We were a startup that had secure funding, and we were on an aggressive path to launch a consumer-facing product within 4 months. We’d developed hardware, but needed to develop the entire software stack and mobile application.

They helped with all aspects of our early launch. We approached 10Pearls with the requirements to build an entire software layer that allowed us to collect data coming from car devices and analyze it. We would then use this location, activity, and driving behavior information and present it in the form of a mobile app and web service.

They initially started by developing the UX for the mobile app, but ended up helping us with iOS and Android development as well. They used DHTML [Dynamic HTML] to build the custom SaaS [software-as-a-service] web service platform.

During peak development, we used up to 30 people from their team. We communicated with their 5–6 onshore contacts on a daily basis, including their senior team, architects, and managers. We also communicated on an as-needed basis with the key offshore team members, including the team lead and certain engineers.

How did you come to work with 10Pearls?

I brought them in for another company several years ago to develop our mobile strategy and help launch our first mobile app. Since then, I’ve engaged with them in some form for every other company I’ve been at.

We spent over $1,000,000.

We started this project in May 2013, and it was finished in July 2013.

We were in the consumer-connected car space, which meant we provided apps and services that normal individuals, such as families, used. The user experience and quality of the product were what we based our business on. We grew to be the second most prominent connected-car provider in the U.S., and also had a monopoly in Germany. We did pretty well, and we’ve also maintained a 4-star rating on Amazon. Our success, in large part, is due to 10Pearls’s work.

How did 10Pearls perform from a project management standpoint?

They were excellent. I wouldn’t have used them for as long as we did and across as many companies as I have if I weren’t satisfied with their work. One of the key advantages they brought was their ability to provide a lot of flexibility. As a startup, needs change dramatically on a daily basis, and requirements are never permanent. They are very adaptable and able to support such changes, whether it has to do with resources, project strategies, budgeting, or capital capabilities.

We mostly communicated via phone and email. We’re both located in Washington, D.C., so I would often meet with them at their headquarters.

They combine a strong vision for the types of services they wish to provide in order to grow their business along with the need and respect for their customers’ needs. Generally, I found that they were usually a couple steps ahead of us as we moved from areas in which we needed help.

Initially, we started using them just for the UX, but quickly moved into engineering, backend engineering, and then QA. I highlight their ability to provide and seamlessly blend a full portfolio of services that companies need, whether they’re a startup or large organization, when I recommend them to friends.

I suggest thinking about 10Pearls as more of a long-term partner instead of just focusing on what needs to be done within the first 2–4 weeks. They become invaluable, and potential clients will really want to rely on them beyond that initial timeframe. Being able to think about it as more than a partnership always yields better results.

Frontend Dev for Financial Advising Firm

"Their comprehensive approach to development was unique and effective."

May 2017 - Ongoing

10Pearls collaborated with the in-house development team of a cloud-based investment research portal to redesign a website interface and develop a complex search filter system.

Managing Partner, Financial Services Firm

The ability to scale the size of their team while organizing project management through one person allowed this inter-office development to function as smoothly as possible. 10Pearls’ work was of high quality, at a reasonable cost, delivered on time, and ensured their future engagement.

I am a founder of a cloud-based investment research portal that predominantly covers hedge funds. We provide information, analysis, intelligence, and analytical tools to help investors make decisions about where to allocate their time and investments.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearls?

The small size of our internal development team necessitated more resources to allow us to build a new frontend design and user interface, as well as to improve our overall functionality. 10Pearls’ team was scalable and their work was cost effective, which made them an excellent solution for our needs.

Their primary task was a frontend and user interface re-design. Our most immediate need was a new landing page, a re-imagination of the architecture for how a client or prospect would first experience the website and its navigation. Its previous iteration was a pure database, and 10Pearls made the site much more straightforward to use. Their next task was to build out a complex search and filter function for the whole website, allowing the user to sort funds with different attributes and parameters using sliders. They worked on the Django platform with Python as their primary code language, although the majority of the frontend was completed in both HTML and Javascript.

10Pearls provided a technical project manager with whom I liaised, and he incorporated either front- or backend developers to work with our internal team as needed. He also facilitated the transfer of code and knowledge to our in-house team, to allow us to better integrate their work with the final product on our end. In addition to the manager, their team typically involved two developers and one designer whose involvement depended on the work being done on any individual day.

How did you come to work with 10Pearls?

I was referred to 10Pearls by an acquaintance that knew the CEO, Imraan Aftab, and offered to make an introduction.

We have invested roughly $30,000.

The initial project we began in May of 2017 ended in August. However, it is an ongoing relationship, in that we intend to hire them again in the future.

The most in-demand feature that 10Pearls developed for us was the search and filter function. We track our client and prospect feedback closely, and since the website’s redesign, we have received positive responses from between 25 to 30 unique users.

How did 10Pearls perform from a project management standpoint?

Overall, their level of communication was very good. They used Basecamp to update us on their progress in real time, and we had a standing meeting at the beginning of every week during the project period. Their team was able to meet any deadlines we provided, and if they were delayed, they informed us in advance to allow for the adjustment of our schedules. In those rare instances, the delay was usually due to something on our end rather than being their fault.

Their comprehensive approach to development was unique and effective. It felt like you had one partner, when in reality a team of 10Pearls’ finest were working on your behalf. They were able to scale their team size depending on our needs, from bringing in technically skilled backend developers to thoughtful designers, all of which provided us with high value at a lower cost. We have likely not utilized their full capabilities yet, which I am looking forward to seeing in the future.

Because 10Pearls was working in conjunction with our internal development team, there were some natural growing pains. This primarily lay with our need for greater preparedness in terms of team expansion and duty relegation. During the project, a couple of scheduled meetings were canceled without forewarning, although that did not inhibit their ability to meet our overarching deadlines.

If you have in-house developers that will be collaborating closely with an outside team, make sure prior to the start of the project that your staff are comfortable being as transparent as possible. The more able you are to isolate your own information technology and then be able to share the rest of your technical capabilities, the more efficient this type of relationship will be. Beginning with an internal conversation about your own team’s level of comfort with outside workers will encourage a productive start to any similar collaborative effort.

Partnership for Medical Software Dev

“They get the job done, work hard, and are very responsive.”

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

Brought on to assist the existing development team, 10Pearls provides medical software, website, and administrative back-end development of a large platform.

Washington D.C. Metro Area
CTO, Telemedicine

10Pearls is integral to all aspects of the platform. All projects are complete with a level of consistency that is commendable. Their English and project management skills are unmatched by other offshore companies.

I’m the CTO of a telemedicine company. We build a SaaS product that enables system-wide telehealth for hospitals and healthcare providers.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearls?

We needed to augment our existing team in order to handle the development of our products.

They assist the in-house team in developing all aspects of our platform. They’re full stack developers working on node, angular, and postscripts. 10Pearls is responsible for our user-facing websites, legacy mobile app, admin back-end, and APIs.

I meet with their lead project manager and technical lead, respectively. The number of developers is 5–20, but it depends on the resources required.

How did you come to work with 10Pearls?

We reviewed a dozen other local companies and chose them based on quality and pricing.

We spend $1,500,000–$2,000,000 per year.

We started working together in April 2015 and the relationship is ongoing.

Based on the Jira tickets we track, they have done great in terms of productivity and quality. They have reliably delivered on what was asked of them and done so on time.

How did 10Pearls perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project management is very strong. We have scheduled meetings 2–3 times a week with their lead project manager. The technical lead is there as well. The three of us go over the status of work items as laid out in Jira. During those meetings, they have all of the questions lined up and ready to go and do a great job of relaying that information to the developers.

Their English is phenomenal, especially compared to other offshore companies we have worked with in the past, and been very consistent in terms of turnaround. They get the job done, work hard, and are very responsive. I’ve never had to question if I should replace them.

I would not trust them exclusively to execute on a big project. But, I’d say that’s true when working with any offshore company. It’s better to have a stakeholder in-house, working with them, to drive the strategy and architecture of the project.

Mobile App Dev for Large Health System

"10Pearls has a great strategy and are very good at blueprinting..."

July - Sept. 2017

10Pearls delivered an app that allows patients to share their living will with friends and family, choose whether or not to be an organ donor, and upload to a cloud-based storage system.

Columbia, Maryland
Health Innovation, MedStar

By providing a great strategy and design, 10Pearls delivered a functioning application that has simplified the living will and organ donation process. Since implementation, organ donation opt-in has increased to 85%

MedStar is large healthcare system of 10 hospitals in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. I work in consumer health.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10Pearl?

We wanted to create a free application for the iPhone or Android to replace all the printed paperwork of a living will. For years in healthcare, we tell patients it’s good for them to have a living will in case something happens and to consider whether they want to be an organ donor. The patients take the living will paperwork from us that they can execute if they want. That usually gets lost and forgotten.

With an application, we could tell our patients that they can download the app on our website and follow the prompts and choose to be an organ donor. If they choose to be an organ donor in creating their living will, that instantly goes into the cloud and we’d know they’re an organ donor. Part of it is to help people keep a record of it and share with family and friends.

10Pearls provided architecture and design of the application, building it from the ground up. They were great at strategy all the way through, helping us answer questions like “what are we building?” and “what is the problem solving?”

There’s a national registry with Donate Life America that is integrated into the system. It was non-trivial because there’s never been a nationwide registry of donors of America until recently. It was always the province of states when you go to get your driver’s license. Donate Life America was key to that non-trivial API integration. Donate Life America, which had built a good cloud-based platform, was having trouble integrating with new software. It was a challenge, but we worked though it and they were terrific.

We interacted with Nick [Product Delivery Manager, 10Pearls], but always had the same people, which included 3 developers. Nick led a bi-weekly status call and they were very well organized. The team dynamic was far better than projects I had been on in the past.

How did you come to work with 10Pearls?

A friend of mine used them for a project. I told him I couldn’t find a good mobile developer and he connected me to 10Pearls.

Around $50,000.

We started working together July 2017 and finished the project in September 2017. The project length was about 90 days.

First, we released the application internally to our existing patients. With paper, we were unable to track the number of individuals opting in for organ donation. With the application, we got six times the people opting in and we got far more organ donors. We noticed on paper, individuals had a 50% chance of choosing to be an organ donor. With the application, that number rose to 85% opting in for organ donation.

Additionally, it’s much easier to share documents on the iPhone than on a piece of paper. The ability to hit a button and e-mail or text your existing will to friends and family is a huge plus.

How did 10Pearl perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated mostly by phone. They offered to communicate through Slack, but I didn’t know if our people could use that given all the healthcare rules. They had a project plan in Microsoft Word and that worked fine.

10Pearls has a great strategy and are very good at blueprinting before proceeding to the tactics.

My only suggestion is to build a brand around the company. I tell people to use 10Pearls, but they have never heard of them because they’re not a household name.

Overall Score These guys did a good job. I’d like to mark them down for something if I could, but I struggle to find it.
    It was a very strong value.
    I’ve done it 3 times so far internally at MedStar.