We Create Innovative Web Solutions

10 Pound Gorilla works with clients to create innovative web solutions. We consider all aspects of the web and business during the development process. We help you discover ways to save time & money while maximizing the return on your website investment.

We have been a leader in the DotNetNuke Community since 2003, when we were just the 1600th member. We have been guest speakers at several DNN World and Day of DNN Conferences. We can handle anything DNN. Skinning, module development, site development, upgrades, training and more. We also have a key set of individuals that can help you take your online marketing to the next level. We work with all aspects of your online presence to help you increase your leads, business and traffic.

Services

Golden, CO
  • 14143 Denver West Pkwy, Suite 100
    Golden, CO 80401

Site Redevelopment for Colorado Cross Country Ski Association

"What was unique was their ability to initiate and anticipate things on behalf of our group."

2011 - Ongoing

10 Pound Gorilla first redeveloped an old corporate website using DNN. Integrated marketing was prioritized next and remains the project team's core focus.

Tabernash, Colorado
Igor Guziur
Board President, CCCSA

Enthusiasm and dedication are palpable throughout the engagement. Assigned resources are more likely to work overtime under pressure than to take shortcuts.

Colorado Cross Country Ski Association (CCCSA) is an industry non-profit whose mission is to promote cross-country skiing at member resorts, Nordic centers, and guest ranches throughout Colorado. I serve as the board president.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10 Pound Gorilla?

Our group sought to reach existing skiers to update them on events and conditions, to encourage travel and bookings, and to recruit new skiers to the sport and expose them to the offerings statewide.

Our website was dated and limited, and we had no social media or newsletter strategy to reach our public. Visits were low, as were click-through rates.

We hired 10 Pound Gorilla to help us improve our web presence, increase ease of use, and to train members in basic content management to improve search engine optimization and engagement.

10 Pound Gorilla has 3–4 people working on our account and has been responsible for both our online marketing strategy and our website development. They were in charge of coming up with all features and requirements as well. They designed and implemented the "Discover Your Next Adventure" tool, which allows users to filter by travel dates, desired activities, and distance in Denver, to find ski resorts that satisfy their criteria. Additionally, they designed and built out member listing profiles with a flexible structure to allow each area to highlight their key selling points. They also designed and implemented membership registration and payment, as well as registration and payment for a Season Punch Pass Program and a Statewide Race Series they came up with.

I believe they used DNN as the content management system for our website. For the marketing work they have performed, they have used Google Adwords, Youtube, Facebook, Groupon, Living Social, and E-newsletter marketing via MailChimp. They hold a meeting with all association members twice a year and they contact us monthly or more frequently for updates.

Over the years, they have done such a great job that we have relinquished almost all of the responsibilities of the association to 10 Pound Gorilla. They draft our yearly marketing plan and budget, apply for our grants, guide us through complex non-profit accounting issues, and execute the marketing plan.

We review their progress, stats, and work at our bi-annual meetings. We also give them feedback and direction at these meetings. 10 Pound Gorilla calls each member monthly to follow up and ask for any updates or feedback. Cassidi, the founder, is our lead and the person we interact the most with at meetings. Ben, the designer/developer, is often the one calling for monthly updates.

How did you come to work with 10 Pound Gorilla?

They were referred to us by one of our members. At first, we used them for minor website support. As time went by, they pitched ideas on how to make our association grow. Their ideas were great and we did not feel that we needed to shop around since 10 Pound Gorilla was really driving us toward growth. Their success has been outstanding and we do not think that another supplier could match their performance, commitment, or value.

We have probably been working with them for over 10 years, with 10 Pound Gorilla taking on an increasingly larger role in the overall marketing strategy and in securing funding. They have really run the ship for the last four years.

The agreed scope expanded over the years to the point where 10 Pound Gorilla took on a leadership role regarding organizational growth, branding, and marketing. What was unique was their ability to initiate and anticipate things on behalf of our group, for members which are not particularly invested and/or tech savvy.

10 Pound Gorilla achieved the following results:

• 1,200% increase in revenue, from $5,000 to $65,000
  • 108% increase of newsletter subscriptions, with an open rate just under 50% on average
  • 67% website visit increase, and 43% increase in page views after the new website design
  • $25,000 were earned in paid ad value after just one press release
  • 73% increase in memberships
  • 4,567,800 impressions from a social media campaign of four months

How did 10 Pound Gorilla perform from a project management standpoint?

All of our members are old school. I know they use these tools with other clients, but we have a more hands-on, face-to-face or phone relationship with 10 Pound Gorilla. They oversee our entire campaign on a day-to-day basis, and we review it a couple of times throughout the year during our meetings.

What did you find most impressive about 10 Pound Gorilla?

Their commitment and passion for the work they do are impressive. They always over-deliver and do way more work than we pay or contract them to do. They really think outside the box, go above and beyond, and have used very creative marketing efforts to increase our marketing revenues drastically.

Are there any areas 10 Pound Gorilla could improve?

None that I can think of. They really are passionate and outperform in stats, dedication, and creativity.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with 10 Pound Gorilla?

What I learned over time is to trust them. They are experts and are very good at what they do. When we let go and let 10 Pound Gorilla run with their ideas and plans, our return on investment increased drastically. Basically, we got out of the way and it was the best decision we made.

The provider was able to track deadlines, gather materials, and get compliance from disparate group members.
    Pricing has always been transparent and reasonable, and their value has far exceeded our investment.
    Deliverables were user friendly, well designed, and were current in the industry, resulting in a much improved presence.
    I have actually hired this provider to do additional work on a personal business pursuit.

Website Redesign for Tech Firm

"We love the look and feel [of the site] that they created for us."

Nov. 2016 - Jan. 2017

10 Pound Gorilla redesigned an obsolete corporate site in preparation for an upcoming conference. The replacement was launched early with an improved UI & sign-up features.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hosting Manager, Tech Provider

The project team was given only 2-months to finish the project, which was crucial to the success of an impending trade event meant to capture new business. 10 Pound Gorilla exceeded all expectations by delivering the website ahead of schedule and with money to spare.

DNN4Less is committed to providing the fastest and the most affordable DotNetNuke, including DNN shared, reseller's, cloud, virtual and dedicated hosting. Our technicians have been working with DNN for years and we set ourselves apart with our outstanding server and support. We currently have about 50 employees and offer 24/7 expert DNN support year-round.

I oversee the daily operations of our service, support, and infrastructure technicians. I ensure that all sites are running at optimum speed and reliability. I also oversee sales, marketing, and billing functions of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with 10 Pound Gorilla?

Our website was severely outdated and everything was very hard to find. People had to dig into the site to find information and where to sign up. It was a nightmare to update anything on the site. We had an important conference coming up within two months of 10 Pound Gorilla beginning work on the site, and it seemed an impossible task to have it ready and functional before the conference.

If the site was not completed before the event, we would lose very good opportunities to attract all kinds of new customers.

I’m pretty busy, so I didn’t have much time to put towards the project and relied heavily on them. They brainstormed and redid our logo design and the look and feel of the website by giving it a much more modern look. They simplified it for us and made it very clean for the customers to be able to see where to go to sign up and see exactly what they’re getting. The user interface was simplified and they added a few features to improve interaction we didn't really have before.

We had at least three developers from 10 Pound Gorilla working with us. I was mainly in contact with two of them—the designer and the main developer.

How did you come to work with 10 Pound Gorilla?

We had worked with 10 Pound Gorilla in the past and knew that their expertise in DNN development was some of the best in the industry. With us being a host of DNN sites, we knew they could handle what we wanted to do. Their designers and developers were very professional and took us through the process step by step, leaving no questions unanswered.

How much have you invested with 10 Pound Gorilla?

They are very affordable and every cost was given up front, with no surprises.

Not only did they finish the design and development ahead of schedule, but the quality of work was second to none, and it is now very easy to update the website, saving us valuable labor hours.

We’ve had a lot more customers visit our website and contact us, especially after the conference. The site was old and probably did not give the customer a good impression. 10 Pound Gorilla is current and the team knows what they’re doing. We love the look and feel that they created for us.

10 Pound Gorilla was super easy to work with from start to finish, and not only did they complete the project ahead of schedule, but it was also under budget. They listened to our design ideas and delivered a website that we are all proud of and is already showing results.

How did 10 Pound Gorilla perform from a project management standpoint?

They gave me some examples of the different layouts and of the ideas they had. It was sent digitally in PDF. We had about an hour long call and went through exactly what we both agreed on was the best direction to go. At that point, it was very detailed—we went down to the page level to define exactly what pages we needed. Being that way was a plus because they could accurately measure the work and time needed to get it done and define the budget, which they stayed within. We would email each other back and forth. If they had any questions, they’d either call or email me right away, and I got back to them right away.

Are there any areas 10 Pound Gorilla could improve?

Not at all. I’ve worked with other developers in the past, and 10 Pound Gorilla is way better to work with from start to finish. It was refreshing. If I emailed them, they got back to me right away. If I needed something fixed, they got it fixed right away. I’ve worked with people that get back to you in two or three days when you call them; this makes the project drag on, and the costs go up.

Overall Score 10 Pound Gorilla is a professional and smart web development shop that turns out quality work for a fair price.
    The website was delivered ahead of schedule, and was top notch.
    The project came in under budget.
    10 Pound Gorilla produces very high quality work and design, and their developers are experts in their fields.
    They are truly experts in their field, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a new design.

Online Marketing Projects for Nutritionist Business

"They're very personable and down to earth, and they understand the struggles of a small business."

2005 - Ongoing

10 Pound Gorilla redesigned a website in DotNetNuke, then provided SEO to market the site. They also ensured the owner could make changes easily. After a decade of service, they continue to update the site.

Denver, Colorado Area
Owner at Fit for Life Colorado

10 Pound Gorilla has turned the website into a really helpful platform for consumers. They made valuable suggestions to make the site more mobile-friendly and helped optimize content to drive sales. Friendly and approachable, they made a strong and long-lasting IT partner.

I provide dietary and exercise counseling services to individuals and groups.

I'm the owner. I'm a registered dietician and physiologist.

What business challenge were you trying to address with 10 Pound Gorilla?

It started out with some basic website development and the most recent project, during the past six months, was a total redesign of my website.

We've been working with them since 2005. We did some SEO [search engine optimization], and, another thing I found valuable was being able to learn the website's design, the DNN [DotNetNuke] environment, so I could add content and make changes myself, so I only contact them when I want something done on the site itself. This was a helpful feature on the old website, and they've done the same for the new one.

They also helped me find a hosting company, which saved me some money.

How did you come to work with 10 Pound Gorilla?

They were recommended by an IT [information technology] coworker or my husband.

It was less than $10,000.

It's ongoing work and, based on my budget and my company's needs, I plan to keep working with them.

I don't really have statistics, but I do save what I call my website referrals. I have a page called "Contact your healthcare professional," and someone can email me from there. When I ask people about it, they say they will Google me and find what they were looking for. I'm not simply saying that this is a great website. It actually offers relevant information on specific programs on food sensitivities and allergies that I'm offering. That information is visible easily.

I switched to the new website about a month ago, and I'm continuing to see it grow.

How did 10 Pound Gorilla perform from a project management standpoint?

I'm satisfied with their work. I had initial ideas in mind for the project, but I think like a dietician, so they helped me create something that is straightforward. People don't want to spend a lot of time reading, and want to get to the point.

I received tons of compliments for my old website, and much more so for the new one. I needed a more mobile-friendly website, but I didn't understand that until I got the first layout. We worked back and forth; I would tell them "I want this," and they would suggest a different route that I would get more business out of.

I've felt it's been worth every penny, and I've received training from them on technical things with videos showing me what to do. I'm now familiar with many different aspects of working with the website, and getting it to where I want it to be. If I want to grow and change it, I can do that on my own as well as have their assistance.

What distinguishes 10 Pound Gorilla from other providers?

They're very personable and down to earth, and they understand the struggles of a small business. They work with different types of companies, not just health care, and I think they're able to offer specific types of focus, unique to a particular business. I really like working with them, and I plan to continue.

Is there anything 10 Pound Gorilla could have improved or done differently?

With companies like this, you don't always get feedback quick enough. Sometimes, your website can go down, or your page isn't showing up, and 10 Pound Gorilla has been very responsive. I would say no. I've been very happy.

DNN Implementation Small Information Technology Firm

"These folks aren’t your run-of-the-mill coders; they’re really experts in the field."

Over the course of this partnership, 10 Pound Gorilla has provided a myriad of developmental support including backend development, data preparation and conversion, and ongoing support.

Abilene, Texas
Jonathan Owen
Founder & CEO at Fusion Web Architects

10 Pound Gorilla remains an invaluable asset to various development initiatives. They are consistently able to deliver high-quality, tested code and provide invaluable process recommendations.

Could you briefly describe your organization?

We sell website development and consulting services, encompassing design, development, strategy, and creative.

I’m the owner and founder.

Could you describe the business challenges you were attempting to address when you first approached 10 Pound Gorilla?

One of the things was that I was looking for a dedicated team that I could partner with long term. I wanted a firm that could meet the level of expectations that I have regarding performance and support. Performance being the initial development side of things such as time limits, professionalism, technical competence, knowledge base, and approach. By support, I mean the long-term reliability of all of those services.

How did you select 10 Pound Gorilla as your solution partner?

I had some development issues with the company that I was working with beforehand, which motivated me to search for a viable alternative. I was looking for a company with extensive knowledge and experience with DNN because it was the platform with which I was most familiar. I did some basic online research to identify a handful of candidates for my shortlist. 10 Pound Gorilla was one of those companies. Discussing our project with them instilled a lot of confidence in us. They had a well-defined and completely transparent approach, which was great because it gave us a pretty good picture of how they’d work with us.

Could you provide a general cost estimate for this particular project?

Ranges would be from $3,500 on the low end to $30,000 or more on the high end.

When was this project completed?

We launched the last one on August 19, 2014.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of their work?

The new site is nine days old. It was a very complex ecommerce launch, and it works exactly how we imagined. It’s a bit early to be considering feedback, since we’re still rolling things out but, in terms of functionality, it’s been great. The sales are good, solid, and growing, so we believe it’s a win for everybody.

When working with 10 Pound Gorilla, is there anything you’d consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

They’re thorough beyond description. If I had to choose one thing, it would be comprehensiveness. That would be the one word that sets them apart. Having worked in a lot of different spaces with various IT [information technology] vendors and entities in the development world, these guys think through things both from a functional and logical standpoint. They can then address everything from, how does this impact the database, to how will this thing impact the end-user experience? These folks aren’t your run-of-the-mill coders; they’re really experts in the field.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve as a service provider?

I would say growing their e-commerce business unit, but that’s exactly what they’ve been doing. We’re a part of that growth, so it’d be great to see it continue to expand.

Website Build For Local Ranch and Lodge

"[T]hey'll tailor the level of their involvement and service to what the customer wants."

10 Pound Gorilla updated a website's content and layout. After the initial redesign, the relationship broadened to address SEO optimization, advertising strategy, and ongoing technical support.

Kremmling, Colorado
Co-Founder, Tourism Business

The site has seen an increase in traffic and positive user feedback since relaunch. During the project, 10 Pound Gorilla provided a flexible blend of technical and strategic feedback. The team was able to fully actualize an attractive, functional vision for the site.

Could you provide a brief description of your company?

We operate a dude ranch and cross-country ski center. It's a tourism-based business.

I'm one of the owners.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were attempting to address when you first approached 10 Pound Gorilla?

We've had a website for a number of years that was becoming very antiquated and obsolete. We needed someone to upgrade the site and help us move forward, stay relevant. We simply don't have any experience with this area, so we knew we needed to find a partner to handle all of the technical work. We also wanted to make sure that they'd have strategic insights because not only did we not have the technical skills, we really didn't have the best vision for moving forward with our site. We really rely on the site to drive additional business, so that was another very important characteristic.

How did you select 10 Pound Gorilla as your solution partner for this endeavor?

We were originally introduced to them through an association of ranchers. They'd done some work in our area beforehand, and apparently delivered some high-quality work. I reached out to them with our project details and we had a very simple discussion about what our objectives were and what we expected moving forward. Based on that initial conversation, we decided to hire them.

Could you describe the scope of work they've delivered during the course of the relationship?

Our work is very collaborative. One of the things I like about working with 10 Pound Gorilla is that we're relatively independent, and we're able to keep our costs low. To do that, we rely on them to provide the technical assistance when, where and how we need it. But, then, for content changes, we're on our own for those kinds of things, which is the way we want it. We provide the guidance and oversight, and they deploy the solutions. They've been involved in designing the overall look as well as developing some of the functional components of the site.

We've probably invested anywhere between $15,000 and $20,000.

Do you retain them for ongoing support?

Yes, we call them when we have technical issues we're unable to solve by ourselves. They aren't monitoring our site 24/7, but they're available when we need them.

In terms of results, could you share any statistics, metrics, or user feedback that would demonstrate the effectiveness of the work they've delivered?

The other thing that we did not talk about was the fact that they helped up with Google AdWords campaigns and some banner ad campaigns. That's been very beneficial, particularly their expertise in helping us come up with the appropriate words for searches and the appropriate verbiage. We've seen a marked increase in the traffic to our site during the last five years. We often get very positive feedback from our guests and those individuals that submit inquiries through the site.

When working with 10 Pound Gorilla, is there anything you'd consider unique about their approach or development methodology that distinguishes them from other vendors?

What I like best about working with them is that they'll tailor the level of their involvement and service to what the customer wants. If I want full service during key operation, they'll do that. If I want to be heavily involved in the deployment, they're open to it. They've been very flexible with us, and I'd guess they're that way with all of their valued clients.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think they could improve upon as a service provider?

Since we're not doing a full-service project with them, sometimes there's a little bit of a delay getting a response as we try to work through issues. But, once we get up and running on a particular issue or section of a project, they've been just fine. You can imagine, if somebody just drops in on you and says, "Hey, I want help," they might say, "Well, I've got a couple of other projects that we're already committed to, and it's going to take me a day or two before I get back to you." But, that's just a part of the bargain that we've made.

DNN Development For Boutique Digital Agency

"They write custom code that is down into the core of the DNN framework."

Selected for their DNN and APS.net experience, 10 Pound Gorilla performed custom development tasks. The project's main goal was to skin DNN sites responsively and perform regular maintainance.

Columbus, Ohio
Founder & CEO, Marketing Agency

Because of their extensive DNN and ASP.net expertise, 10 Pound Gorilla offered suggestions about function and best practice. An in-depth knowledge of DNN allowed the development team to highly customize site frameworks for performance and function.

Could you provide a brief description of your company?

We are a digital agency in Columbus, Ohio, specializing in digital marketing campaigns and products for primarily the restaurant, commercial real estate, and retail categories of business. We've been around for about 15 years.

I'm the owner, CEO, and president.

Could you describe the business challenge that you were trying to address when you first approached 10 Pound Gorilla?

We were simply too busy to operate, develop and maintain our DotNetNuke site ourselves. We had one person who'd been with us for 10 years. It was an overwhelming amount of work. We have more than 200 websites already built that require continual updates and services, not to mention all of the new work we were being rewarded. We simply didn't have the technical bandwidth to deal with our demand. We spent the first half of this year test driving three or four different development firms and finally ended up with 10 Pound Gorilla.

How did you select 10 Pound Gorilla as your solution partner for this endeavor?

I've been to a few DotNetNuke conferences and related events, so I had actually already been familiar with 10 Pound Gorilla. When we knew we were in the market for a new vendor, their name naturally came up. We were already aware of their capabilities and the work they've done in the past, so we were relatively confident that they'd be able to deliver.

Could you describe the scope of work they've delivered to you during the course of the relationship?

Our relationship started with them in late spring, it was about April or so. We started feeding them project work. In the event that we needed somebody to pick up and help us with an existing site, and tweaking something or fixing something, they were an option, but that's not primarily why we chose them.

In actuality, we've used them exclusively for skinning our DotNetNuke sites in a responsive way. We know they're there if we need developers proficient with ASP.net, and could work in a DotNetNuke environment. That's really been their primary role: Custom design work.

Each project has probably cost between $2,000 and $3,000.

When was the most recent project finished with them?

Within the last 30 days.

Our clients really wouldn't be able to gauge that sort of thing. I would say they're a highly responsive group and are thoughtful about their work. They offer suggestions on how to exercise best practices. I have every confidence in their capabilities. They've been embedded in DotNetNuke for a long time. Because of budget or timing or other things, we may not always go with what they suggest, but we're as experienced as they are, so that's our prerogative. They get it and they're able to provide appropriate solutions in a timely fashion.

When working with 10 Pound Gorilla, is there anything you'd consider unique about their strategic approach or methodology that distinguish them from other vendors?

They write custom code that is down into the core of the DNN framework, which means that unlike modules that you might purchase off the shelf and embed into a DNN installation, these are written into a level of performance or execution. That means you're probably not going to have bugs and glitches when the operating system goes to the next level. They're writing way down into the depths when they write their own modules. That's really their strength: the ability to customize the DNN platform to their clients' specifications.

What this can lead to in some cases, which may not be preferable, is you're then tied to them forever for managing the update or changes to that particular module. To some extent, that's really an issue that's dependent as much on the client as the vendor. It could be that the client is entirely OK with that situation, and it may be preferred. For other clients, however, it might be something they're really trying to avoid: That kind of dependence on an external entity.

In retrospect, are there areas in which you think 10 Pound Gorilla could improve on as a service provider?

I've been at this for more than a decade. They're very developer-y, if you will. I think there are good things about that, and some bad things. The associated challenge is that developers tend to have their own beliefs about what's best to do. They can be very one-track minded. This means there can be some inflexibility at times. I don't know if that's specific to 10 Pound Gorilla any more that it's specific to another developer. I would recommend that anyone considering their services be fully aware that they'll have to have some degree of flexibility with their vendor. I feel like it's simply a part of the game.

I would be willing, but it would need to be the right fit...I would recommend them for high-level engagements where there is a technical liaison available on the client side.