A design agency with a brand-first mentality.

Gold

From research and analysis, to naming and positioning, to design and development, we help our clients successfully navigate the process of launching a new product or brand. And while our focus will always be on the power of design to connect people and products, it’s the strategic insights and expertise behind each project that truly magnify the results for our clients.

2005
San Diego, CA
  • 10680 Treena Street, Suite 520
    San Diego, CA 92131

Microsoft, UCSD, Facebook, PR Bar, Ballast Point Brewing Company

Branding Design for Life Science Technology Company

"I think their design expertise is the best I’ve seen."

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

Traina Design helped a company identify its branding design. Initial deliverables included a website and marketing collateral, and they expanded their work to tradeshow booth design and advertising campaigns.

Pleasanton, California
Senior Director Brand & Marketing Communications, Bio Company

Traina Design’s efforts have helped create a consistent brand that aligns with the company identity. Communicative and organized, the team demonstrates an admirable commitment to customer service. Their creative abilities and thoughtful solutions further set them apart.

I am the senior director of brand and marketing communications at a life science company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

We hired Traina Design to develop our customer-facing creative material.

We asked Traina Design to establish our brand identity. We needed to determine our brand identity system and how it should be applied across our different communication platforms. That process included digital, social media, blogs, print advertisements and display ads, and our tradeshows and webinars.

Traina Design started with a review of our existing situation as a startup that was new to the market. We needed to evaluate how our current position with customers had developed organically through our sales reps and original branding materials. They audited our print materials to determine what worked and what didn’t, and then we outlined a thorough set of requirements for how to proceed.

We’ve worked with several members of the staff across their web, creative, and project management departments.

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

Our engagement with Traina Design began before I started in my role, so I’m unsure of the selection process.

Our engagement began in November 2015, and we launched our new materials early in 2016. This past year Traina continued to build our branding with new creative for trade shows and advertising campaigns as well as enhancing our digital platforms.

We're meeting our marketing goals in terms of generating awareness and leads. I think our materials are developing into a consistent reflection of our brand identity.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They are not only extremely organized, but they are also unbelievable communicators. They turn things around quickly and have been very responsive. Traina Design also matched our work style, which is pretty fast-paced, as opposed to asking us to adapt to their style.

I have not seen anybody better in terms of their creative horsepower. I think their design expertise is the best I’ve seen.

They have jumped in to help us out in secondary areas short term, even if not their core capabilities. They may want to consider expanding their expertise in these areas as well for more full agency support.

I’d recommend treating them like a partner. The more they are a part of your marketing team, the better their work will be.

Overall Score They're easy to work with, and they do great work.
    They are able to keep up with our fast-paced scheduling demands.
    Their work is outstanding.
    I have already recommended them.

Social Media Marketing Management for Brewing Company

"They’ve been great at understanding our needs and jumping in wholeheartedly to help."

May 2018 - Ongoing

Traina Design manages social media campaigns and dedicates resources for ongoing social media content creation for a brewery. They collaborate to determine strategies and practical solutions.

201- 500 Employees

Former VP of Marketing, Ballast Point Brewing Company

Traina Design’s efforts have helped boost social media engagement, in addition to providing a more consistent digital brand presence. The team succeeds because of a responsive and organized approach. They are active listeners and quick thinkers, making them an ideal creative partner.

I am the former vice president of marketing at Ballast Point Brewing Company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

We engaged Traina Design because we needed a partner to help us with ongoing social media content and for specific media campaigns. We didn’t have the necessary capabilities in-house to manage the work ourselves.

In the event of a specific media campaign, we provided Traina Design with a brief and held a kickoff meeting. Their team came back with initial concepts for us to choose from, and we provided feedback before approving the work. In every case, they executed the initiative on deadline and to the specs of the brief.

Traina Design also provided a dedicated resource to manage our social media content for us. This arrangement required a lot of two-way communication so that they knew what we were looking for at a high level. We gave that person free rein to produce content they determined would be successful for our brand.

We interact primarily with David (President, Traina Design), Kristi (Director of Account Services, Traina Design), and Laysea (Traina Design).

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

Kristi is a former colleague of mine at another agency. She introduced me to Traina Design once she started there.

I’d estimate that we spent more than $50,000.

Our engagement began in May 2018 and remains ongoing.

After we turned our social media management and content creation over to them, we experienced a substantial increase in engagement with our social posts. And we recognized that the storytelling was far better and more of a manifestation of our brand. We’ve been pleased with their eye toward social media trends and best practices that help tell our story better.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They were always incredibly organized and responsive. They made it a point to deliver things on time, if not before.

I was impressed by their willingness to dig in, get to know our brand, and become an extension of our brand through social media content creation. Traina Design helped us elevate our social media presence to the next level through strategy and creative content.

No, we have no complaints.

They’ve been great at understanding our needs and jumping in wholeheartedly to help. I’d advise future clients to have a conversation with them to see what’s possible. They’re great at adapting to needs of the brand and delivering an excellent product.

Overall Score We're very happy with the work they did for us.
    They had no trouble meeting deadlines.
    We saw a clear value in the investment.
    They delivered above and beyond what we asked for.
    They're one of the better partners we ever used.

Video Product Marketing for Large Internet Company

“Everyone had a can-do attitude and adhered to a high standard of work.”

Dec. 2018 - Apr. 2019

Using a provided brief, Traina Design developed various creative assets to support a new product launch. They worked with a production house to create an ecosystem video and delivered multiple landing pages.

Hannah Chaston
Marketing Manager, Facebook

The video premiered to positive internal and external response, and the landing pages earned favorable press coverage. Traina Design employs a nimble, first-rate team with creative problem-solving skills. They were well-equipped to face any task and remained receptive to client feedback.

I’m the video marketing manager for the global business marketing team at Facebook Inc.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

We were launching a new product to market—one that was brand new for us and geared toward a completely different audience. As a result, we needed to roll it out differently than anything we’d done before.

Traina Design developed creative assets to support marketing campaigns for our new product. We started with a couple of briefing calls to establish all of the key information and provided them with some documents. Together, we worked to define exactly what the deliverables would be.

They then went through their creative development process to produce marketing materials for us. One of the main outputs that we requested was an ecosystem video along with a set of landing pages. Traina Design worked on the casting and secured a production company, overseeing all of the details on our behalf.

We worked with three resources, including Kat (Senior Account Manager, Traina Design).

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

Facebook Inc. had been working with them for a while, so we already knew about them. An internal resource referred us to them.

Their work lasted from December 2018–April 2019.

While we don’t have any numerical results yet, the internal feedback was amazing. Our teams responded particularly well to the video, and it’s been a prominent tool for our sales force across the board. Externally, we received great press coverage based on some of the landing pages that they created. We’ve also shown the video at an event to positive reviews.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Traina Design was brilliant, and the team was collaborative the whole way through. We went to and fro on several pieces because Facebook often tends to change their mind. But despite the short timeline, they got everything done and implemented all of our requested changes.

In terms of communication, we had weekly video conferences and spoke every other day over email. Kat never dropped the ball. She would anticipate what we needed before we’d even though of it and provided updates preemptively.

For such a small team, I was impressed with how much they could accomplish and the breadth of their scope. They never told us that they couldn’t do something because they hadn’t done it before. Everyone had a can-do attitude and adhered to a high standard of work. On top of that, they had great partners and really listened to our feedback; there was no ego.

Their capabilities are broader than portrayed on their website, so they might consider updating it to match. They’d be selling themselves short otherwise.

Get a call in to talk about your project. They’re honest about what’s feasible and are very creative. If your brief is bigger than your design, I’d still speak with them because we had some impressive outputs from them throughout our project.

Overall Score They were great collaborative partners, and we had a good working relationship. I really enjoyed working with them.
    Nothing as late. If anything, they delivered a couple of pieces early.
    The costs were slightly higher, but that was because we were working to short timelines.
    We were extremely impressed with everything we received and didn’t have any complaints.
    They definitely exceeded my expectations, and I’d be keen to work with them again.

Office 365 SharePoint Dev & Communication for Tech Company

“They were conscientious of the changes they made and how they delivered them, which was key to the site’s success.”

May 2015 - Ongoing

Traina Design provides design and publishing services. They have worked in Outlook file template, PDF, Azure, WordPress, and Office 365 SharePoint site. Services include rebranding and feedback collection.

Seattle, Washington
Technical Communication Manager, Software Company

Traina Design has boosted site traction and visibility by making the service and brand more consistent and relevant. They are an engaging partner that provides exceptional, cost-effective service and measurable results. They coordinate our teams and manage the project astutely.

I’m the technical communications manager at a software company. I publish technical communications for the engineering organizations that I belong to.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

I lost my designer and needed to find a new vendor. I hired Traina Design to assist with design and publishing.

When we began working together, I distributed my technical articles in an email using an Outlook file template (OFT), with codebase in it. Traina Design helped deliver that communication vehicle with the associated codebase from a design perspective. They continued to work with me as I transitioned to PDF.

Traina Design provided engineering and design insights to develop an Azure and WordPress solution. They then moved the designs into a new Office 365 SharePoint site, where they published all of my articles. The team spent eighteen months gathering end-user feedback and determining what functionalities users wanted to be able to leverage from the site. They have built many of these functionalities and continue to create more.

Last year, I had to quickly evolve the site when I joined a new team within my organization. Traina Design helped rebrand the site and design a larger initiative around modern engineering. We just launched the new site in February 2019. Currently, Traina Design helps publish my technical communications bi-weekly. They are collecting user feedback so that we can complete design updates and site revisions in a few months.

I work with Jeselyn (Senior Account Manager, Traina Design) and a designer.

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

Another team at my company recommended them. I contacted David (President, Traina Design) and created a statement of work (SOW).

My company spends $75,000 annually.

We started working together in May 2015, and the work is ongoing.

Since Traina Design launched the new site in February, our site traction has increased. When we publish new articles, there is a massive influx of users to the site. We have brought a very consistent service and brand to our engineering community. Our visibility at the executive level has also increased.

While rebranding the site, Traina Design kept our audience engaged by integrating user feedback. The team made necessary revisions and updates in coordination with our product group. They were conscientious of the changes they made and how they delivered them, which was vital to the site’s success. They’ve played a critical role in modernizing this service and keeping it relevant and versatile over time.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management is excellent. Our teams communicate frequently via phone and email. We use internal SharePoint and team sites that we post shared working documents on, which keeps our team members engaged in a centralized location.

Traina Design’s customer service stands out the most to me. They are as committed to my customer base as I am. Their team strives to understand our business, and they are engaging with key stakeholders and end users. Traina Design is a reliable extension of everything I’m doing.

Also, our budget is very strict because my part of the company is not revenue-generating. Traina Design helps determine when we should put money toward publishing versus revision. Their optimization of our budget year after year distinguishes them as a true partner.

No, not at the moment. My internal management has commended our significant progress. We will continue on the path we are on.

Make sure you have a problem you want solved and clear objectives.

Overall Score Our continuing partnership speaks for itself.
    They’re diligent about setting clear initiatives and quickly updating them when necessary.
    Traina Design helps with budget allocation.
    We’ve been able to meet all of the expectations of my leadership and our customer base.
    I’ve recommended them whenever I’ve had the opportunity.

Video Production & Branding for Medical Device Company

“They were always willing to meet and go over details, and they truly understood what we were trying to accomplish.”

Feb - May 2018

Traina Design supported a medical device company for a product instructions project. They set up video and voiceover materials and devised creative options to present them in a user-friendly way.

1,000 - 5,000 Employees

Carlsbad, California
Arturo Garcia
Product Manager, ResMed

The final commercial release has yet to launch, but Traina Design has provided everything that is needed and will participate in future phases. They are communicative and clear, and their welcoming, responsive manner is easy to work with.

I’m a product manager for a medical device company. Our branch manages a portfolio of products for the United States and Canada, and we have international branches that serve other regions.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

We started a pilot program to instruct users and patients on product setup. We wanted interesting new ways to outline the usage instructions that was more in keeping with other products on the market. We have a large marketing team, but wanted someone with more experience and a fresh perspective.

We had a face to face meeting and talked about our goals and what we hoped to solve. We gave them the specific product, and they tested the user experience before delivering creative ways to present the instructions.

We went over several iterations of the piece we built internally, and they gave us a few options to choose from. They created a video segment with the help of a secondary recording studio and videographer. They booked all the necessary resources, and we did the voiceover portion one day and the video shoot the second day. It was a fun experience, and was exactly what we needed for this piece.

We had two primary points of contact for the duration of the project, but we met with other individuals for the voiceover and video pieces.

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

Our internal marketing team works with several outside agencies and recommended Traina as a good fit for this project. We met with them and decided they were a perfect match for our needs.

We spent around $35,000 for this project. We’ve worked on several other projects, so I don’t have the exact numbers for our total investment.

This particular project ran from February–May 2018.

They provided exactly what we were looking for, and they sent us all the source files along with the final product. They knew we would continue to pilot and test the product, and we have the option to make revisions ourselves. The instructions are clear and easy to follow, and the video received good feedback. People really like the assets they provided, and while we haven’t launched this project yet, everyone is very happy with the process. I have no reservations about bringing them back for round two of development.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They are very clear with expectations, and we always knew how long things would take. They were great communicators, and we met or spoke as often as we needed. We spoke over the phone or email, and they didn’t hesitate to reach out and ask questions or get our feedback. I always felt up-to-date.

Their positive attitude, creative thinking, and their great communication are my three favorite things about them. They connected with us, were very welcoming, and the caliber of assets they found was impressive.

They were fantastic to work with, both responsive and professional. They were always willing to meet and go over details, and they truly understood what we were trying to accomplish. In the end, we went a little over time and over budget, but are looking forward to working with them again.

I’m extremely happy with their performance and don’t have any negative feedback or criticism for them.

Clearly outline your expectations. They’re very easy to work with.

Overall Score I want to continue working with them and would recommend them to anybody. They’re fantastic.
    The project took a little longer than we expected, but they were still very near perfect.
    Their prices were in line with what we expected. They stayed within our budget, and there were no surprises.
    Everything they created was extremely professional, and they gave us everything we asked for.
    I look forward to working with them again; they’re a good partner.

WordPress Web Redesign for Brewing Company

“They’re among the top agencies I’ve worked with throughout my career.”

Jan. - Aug. 2018

Traina Design completely redesigned a WordPress website. They collaborated with an internal team to develop a captivating frontend interface. The site features new visuals and is responsive on mobile devices.

201- 500 Employees

Dylan Jones
Creative Director, Ballast Point Brewing Co.

Traina Design successfully revamped an outdated website. Their designers created a distinct UI/UX that communicates an established brand identity. Users appreciate the site’s unique and polished presentation. A highly skilled team meets deadlines and consistently performs above expectations.

I’m the creative director at Ballast Point Brewing. We’re an internationally recognized leader in the craft brewing and spirits industry.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

We needed to revamp our website. It utilized dated technology, and we felt that the interface didn’t adequately communicate our company’s culture.

Traina Design redesigned our entire Wordpress website. The engagement began with a consultation meeting where we provided them with a minimal creative brief. They’re experts in the digital space, so we didn’t want to restrict them in any way. They asked a lot of follow-up questions to fully understand what we wanted to accomplish. Their team gave us feedback regarding our boundaries as a brand, and how we could evolve specific elements.

They created some initial wireframes. We went back and forth on the early designs considering the complicated nature of the website. We decided to both remove some content and make new additions. After the first round of iteration, their deliverables resonated with us. We didn’t have a lot of significant changes to make beyond that point. Their remaining efforts involved polishing what they had already delivered.

Although we interacted with five different people, most of the work was split between the account director, a creative director, and a developer.

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

We initiated a vetting process and sent out proposals to several agencies. Out of all the ones we interviewed, we unanimously decided that Traina Design was the best fit. They were eager to partner with us as well, so we hired them.

We spent over $175,000.

We worked with them on this project from January–August 2018.

The old website was more like a catalog of our beers. The new design gives people a good sense of who we are and what we value. We’ve heard rave reviews about the website’s improved design. From an internal standpoint, the entire staff was elated when the update finally happened. The old site wasn’t optimized for mobile use, so even changes like that have made a massive difference in how our customers interact with the brand.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re well-organized and capable of adhering to a strict schedule. Whenever we owed them something, they’d politely remind us so that the project kept moving forward. We were in touch regularly, and they’d send us progress reports every couple of weeks. Towards the end, we were communicating multiple times a week to get everything fine-tuned and ready to roll. They were amazing.

They’re an immensely talented group of people. We’ve had them do some follow-up work for us involving social media, and their creative strategy team excelled in that area as well. I could lean on them for anything and would probably get good results. I have a lot of confidence in Traina Design across the board. I’d love to work with them in the future.

No. They’ve handled each project with us like superstars.

I don’t necessarily have advice, but I’d say that customers are in good hands with Traina Design.

Overall Score I’m trying to find more opportunities to work with them.
    They’re both flexible and highly organized.
    Their price estimates are reasonable.
    Everything they’ve delivered to us has exceeded expectations.
    They’re among the top agencies I’ve worked with throughout my career.

Drupal to WordPress Web Redesign for Research Company

“Their dedication to us as a client is obvious. I feel like we’re important to them, and that’s awesome.”

Jan. - July 2018

Traina Design rebuilt a website, switching from Drupal to WordPress. Working off of a detailed sitemap, they updated the site with new content, revamped the visuals, and implemented a fluid frontend interface.

Novato, California
Chloe Caviness
Communications Manager, Buck Institute for Research on Aging

Site visitors have commended the platform’s newly refined appearance. Its attractive layout coupled with a compelling call-to-action page have increased donations and earned more email list subscribers. Though Traina Design could have used more project management tools, their work generated value.

I’m the communications manager for The Buck Institute for Research on Aging. We’re an independent biomedical research institute devoted to researching the aging process and age-related disease.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

Our website was antiquated, congested, and not representative of our institute. We needed a professional design agency to overhaul our site entirely.

Traina Design took our outdated Drupal website and rebuilt it using WordPress. They developed an effective call-to-action on our support page to increase the number of online donations we receive. We provided a high-level sitemap. Because of that, their team quickly understood the project’s overall goal, but much of the content details weren’t considered until later.

We initially interacted with David (Founder, Traina Design) who oversaw the project. After that, Jes (Senior Account Manager, Traina Design) was our primary contact. However, I was also in touch with Leo (Interactive Design Director, Traina Design) and Brian (Lead Web Developer, Traina Design).

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

We put together an RFP and sent it out to several design firms known for their work in the scientific research and education field. We narrowed the applicants down to two firms and had the final candidates send us examples of their work. Our internal committee took a vote and selected Traina Design. Their previous work included a website that we felt resembled the best possible version of what our site should look like.

We spent roughly $100,000–$200,000.

The majority of the site development lasted from January–July 2018. They're still working with us to provide ongoing support.

The new website launched in July 2018 and has received a lot of compliments from users. That’s to be expected considering the redesign is beautiful, elegant, clean, and easy to navigate. We’ve already received 30% more donations through our current support page than on the previous site. Now that the site features a real call-to-action, a ton of people join our mailing list each day.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

Traina Design hasn’t implemented a system to manage requests or tasks. Instead, we email each other back and forth without a project management tool. This process is hectic at times as there isn’t a method of documentation visible to both sides. However, Jes never lets things fall through the cracks. We communicate with her several times a week. She’s extremely attentive, responsive, and a proactive participant in the project. I can count on her.

Their dedication to us as a client is obvious. I feel like we’re important to them, and that’s awesome. They’re great to work with and we’re pleased with how they stuck to the project timeline.

A project management tool would’ve helped a lot. We tried to use Google Docs, but that wasn’t effective. Things became quite stressful nearing the site’s launch. More granular content details could have been addressed upfront. As a result, the site is gorgeous, but we struggled to catch up near the end.

Clients should be proactive in asking the right questions to prevent future project difficulties.

Creative Branding & Designs for BioTech Company

“Their creativity is stellar and they have great strategic ideas.”

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Traina Design provided creative marketing concepts for a biotechnology company. They designed visual stories, product names, taglines, and copy to support a new global initiative.

Carlsbad, California
Carrie Keller
Senior Global Marketing Development Manager, Thermo Fisher Scientific

Feedback is positive. The program has been nominated for awards and stands out among other market strategies. Traina is accessible, quick to respond, and engaged. They provide good quality and are conscientious of budgetary restrictions.

I work for a biotechnology company as the global market development manager. I represent our molecular biology products and am the program lead for a very large marketing program.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

At the end of last year, I was tasked with formulating a new and creative way to tell the story of our polymerase chain reaction (PCR) product line. This portfolio includes several molecular biology products for scientific and cancer research. I needed a company to help design the creative elements. We needed visuals for our marketing program before launching a new global marketing strategy.

We sent them a brief of what we wanted and they met with our program manager. A month after a really successful intake call, they came back with three good concepts. Each one told a holistic story through visuals and tie-ins to our marketing channels. They came up with potential product giveaways and a nice portfolio.

We make premium PCR products that give customers first-class results, so we tied the concept to airline terminology. They ran with the theme and named the product Amplifly. They really understood that PCR science is all about amplification, which worked perfectly with the theme. We have a product line that provides everything a researcher needs. There are solutions that address the entire PCR workflow.

They provided copy, placement ideas, and all the visuals and imagery. They also came up with flight related slogans and more thematic tie-ins.

We interact with four team members directly and I’m sure there are others working behind the scenes. We spoke at least two or three times a week by email or phone at the beginning when we had very tight timelines. Now that we have a rhythm, we chat once a week or every two weeks.

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

We do marketing through several of our different business units. We work with multiple agencies, and we often ask them to submit competing proposals for projects. Other business units within our company worked with Traina in the past and recommended them.

We submitted a 12-page brief to three agencies and asked each to come up with ideas. Traina presented some very strong options and emerged as the clear leader. We gave them a more specific prompt that they adapted to fit the campaign. They came back with exactly what we were looking for.

We’ve invested at least $100,000.

We started working together in November 2017 and the relationship is ongoing.

We’ve had a lot of good feedback already and have been nominated for several awards for this program. The creativity and the engagement were exactly what we asked for and they prioritized my sales team. I wanted the sales division to get excited about the product and talk about it in front of customers. We had several global events, including in North and Central America, Asia, and other regions. The visuals are amazing and the giveaways are exciting. Traina helped with all of that as well as the concept. The strategy is a huge success and was very well received in our business meeting. We had 20 different business units at that meeting and Amplifly was the most creative rotation.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They do extremely well. They’re accessible and quick to respond. They ask for deadlines ahead of time and are almost always able to meet them. When they can’t, they let us know and we come up with good alternatives. They work closely with me and send regular status updates.

They produce quality work in a short amount of time and help us stay within our budget. Their creativity is stellar and they have great strategic ideas. They’re always willing to offer their services.

They use a lot of stock imagery. They make it look amazing, but we wonder if they could work more from scratch. It would be good for them to be clearer about their limitations there. Otherwise, I can’t say anything negative about them. They’re very good at what they do.

Be very clear about what you want, your schedule, and your budget. If you give them all those points, their delivery will be flawless.

Overall Score They’re phenomenal and a pleasure to work with.
    They’re always on time and will work into the night to meet our deadlines.
    They’re very good at giving us what we need and working within our budget.
    They deliver good work. We would love to see more technological advances and fully original imagery.
    I’ve referred them to several colleagues.

Print Design & Branding for University

“They quickly understood our goals and managed to effectively translate them into high-level design.”

Nov. 2017 - Mar. 2018

Traina Design worked collaboratively to redesign a university magazine in line with a recent rebrand. They also provided a template for the magazine that facilitates the creation of future editions.

Chris Hazell
Content Strategy Manager, Point Loma Nazarene University

A collaborative approach and an emphasis on understanding the university’s vision yielded high-quality designs that aligned well with the new brand. Readers have provided positive feedback on the updated layout and overall aesthetic. Traina encouraged open communication throughout the engagement.

I’m the content strategy manager and the editor of the Viewpoint Online at Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego, CA. The Viewpoint is our university magazine.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

We were looking to redesign the print edition of the Viewpoint, which comes out three times a year. We had recently redesigned all of our university materials, and the magazine needed to align with the updated brand. We also wanted to enhance the academic reputation of the university through strong design.

We started with several kickoff meetings to discuss our brand guidelines and present our vision for the magazine. These meetings involved our marketing/creative services team, as well as several stakeholders on campus. After exchanging ideas with us, they came back with two concepts for the overall design. We provided feedback and eventually chose one of the designs to move forward with. We started working with them in populating their designs with content and they worked to create a final product design within about four months.

In terms of specifics, they designed five new features in line with photography and content that we provided. When we needed stock photos or illustrations, they would provide those as well. Their editorial feature design was very strong. Also, in redesigning the magazine, they needed to provide a template that we could use for future issues. This included placement, fonts, styles, color schemes, spacing, bordering, etc. They made sure to leave room that allows us creative freedom in altering/adding to the designs in moving forward.

We worked with a principal designer, a project manager, and the company’s creative director. Their CEO was also occasionally involved throughout the project.

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

We researched a variety of design agencies, both local and out-of-state. After narrowing down our options to about five agencies based on their portfolios, we decided that Traina would be the best fit for our brand. They were local and they had solid experience with editorial design work, including with University of California San Diego. When we met with them initially, they seemed easy to work with and very excited about our project.

We invested about $25,000 total.

We started working together in November 2017 and finished the redesign in March 2018.

We’ve gotten significant positive feedback from readers via email and in person, often highlighting the modern design and overall organization. It does a great job at accurately representing the university.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

I was very impressed by their project management skills. They promptly addressed any questions or concerns that came up. It was very easy to work with them throughout the process. We had five or six meetings in person or via Skype, and I would communicate with them about once a week via email.

No, nothing comes to mind. We really enjoyed working with them. They were always open to discussion and took a very professional approach to considering and incorporating any critical feedback that we provided.

It’s important to communicate with them and make sure they understand your business and your brand identity. It will elevate their quality of work and allow them to reflect your vision in the project. Also, don’t be afraid to push them in providing substantive feedback. Work with them collaboratively and avoid the typical hands-off, client-agency relationship.

Apart from a few minor deadline shifts, we had no issues at all.
    The cost was well worth the services they provided.
    We were very happy with the quality of their designs.

WordPress Web Design & Branding for University

“Their contemporary designs are a substantial improvement on previous iterations[…]”

June 2015 - Ongoing

Traina Design oversaw a complete rebrand of a university alumni magazine and redesigned the accompanying website. They currently oversee design for each issue on an ongoing basis.

5,000-10,000 Employees

Editor-in-Chief, University

The Traina team worked collaboratively to understand the client’s goals and reflect them in product/site design. The work they’ve done has been well received across audiences. Innovative ideation and effective execution have been key in a successful long-term relationship.

I’m the editor in chief for a university alumni magazine.

What challenge were you trying to address with Traina Design?

We engaged them several years ago to overhaul the magazine’s design and overall brand identity. We had worked with designers in the past, but we were looking for an agency that could fully understand our goals for the magazine and redesign it accordingly.

We started with exploratory meetings and drafted a template for the magazine. We went through several versions of the layout and after a few rounds of revisions, we settled on a design for the site and the magazine itself. They decided on a WordPress template and customized it according to our preferences. However, the engagement was primarily focused on the print magazine.

We usually interacted with our account manager and lead designer. David (President, Traina Design) would occasionally offer his perspective during meetings as well.

How did you come to work with Traina Design?

They were referred to us internally. I interviewed several designers and out of the three we were considering, Traina was by far the best option for this project.

We paid $50,000 for the initial rebrand and now pay $36,000 per issue, so about $100,000 per year.

We started working together in June 2015, and the engagement is ongoing.

The work that they’ve done has been very well received. Their contemporary designs are a substantial improvement on previous iterations, and they suit the university well.

How did Traina Design perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve been very effective in keeping us on task without being pushful. We communicate about twice a month when we’re early on in an issue cycle, but recently it’s been several times a day as we prepare to release another issue.

We’re very impressed by their ability to brainstorm and execute on innovative ideas.

We’d love to see second-round work on the first round, but that’s all part of the process.

No advice necessary. You can trust them to do the job; they know what they’re doing.

They’re flexible and they’ve never missed a deadline.
    Some easy edits are missed on the first round, but the final deliverables are always great.

Gold