Innovation Engineering

Tivix is an established software development company specializing in the agile development of web and mobile applications. We reduce engineering risk for clients by offering rapid time-to-market while delivering standards-based software code that can be transitioned to an internal team at any time.

Founded in 2008. Tivix is headquartered in San Francisco, with regional offices located across the U.S. and Europe. Our rock-solid solutions are trusted by some of the biggest Fortune 500 names in the world, and for good reason. We develop enterprise-grade software that is scalable, secure and truly reliable.

Service Areas

Poland
    1 Fore Street
    London EC2Y 9DT

CMS & Web Development for New Digital Media Outlet

"They’re really good at delivering what we need as we describe our priorities."

Aug. 2014 - Ongoing

Tivix customized an open source CMS platform for the launch of an online news publication. They integrated Google Analytics, DoubleClick for Publishers, and other third-party analytics, as well as a custom news feeds.

Philadelphia Metro Area
Director, Online Publication

In the two years since the site launched, monthly traffic went from nothing to 2.5-3 million users. Tivix's global resources can respond rapidly at any time of day. Their broad-based expertise and keen listening skills have made up for the client's level of experience with technology.

We’re a media company with digital-only news on sports, entertainment, health, and business. It’s geared towards the Philadelphia market but also has a national footprint. I’m the director of product development and ad operations. I run all the product site and development cycles through our partners and anything to do with our advertising efforts

What challenge were you trying to address with Tivix?

We were looking for someone to build our site and our CMS platform.

Tivix customized the CMS for our needs but it’s based on an open source platform. We wanted a platform that would be simple for new users to learn and use. We’re built on Django and they also used Wagtail, which is a simplistic CMS platform. We incorporated Google Analytics, DoubleClick for Publishers and other analytics software. They’ve built out custom feeds as we pull in feeds from different publications such as Associated Press. They built an engine to pull the feed in, sort it and quickly publish it live with the click of a button.

In regards to the site, we were looking for a narrow set of templates to manage as we launched an MVP and built out from there. We wanted something quick and something that was easy to manage but that could handle a lot of automation. We had a lot of tags and topics with a lot of dynamically generated pages. Not every page needs to be manually touched for it be filled with content.

Tivix continues to handle all of our DevOps for us. They help us keep the site and the CMS updated as changes and problems come up.

How did you come to work with Tivix?

We did a search of the market to see who would suit our needs.

How much have you invested with Tivix?

We have spent between $50,000 and $200,000 over the course of our relationship.

We started working with them in August 2014, and the work is ongoing.

We’ve reached 2.5 to 3 million users per month. We launched in January 2015 and we were at zero users at that time. The growth we’ve seen took place over two years and three months. There have been down times, but it’s never been long. Tivix helped us identify the issue and once we figured it out, they worked with us to solve that problem.

How did Tivix perform from a project management standpoint?

In the beginning, we used more of their team but we've used fewer resources since six months post-launch. We have a primary project manager who handles the vast majority of things we need. They pull in different people from their team as needs arise. We’ve never been lacking in help that we need. They have people located all over the world, and that’s been nice for us: we’re centered on the east coast so we have coverage during the hours that we need someone. We asked a lot of them and we had a lot of people involved on our side. They’re really good at delivering what we need as we describe our priorities.

What did you find most impressive about Tivix?

They’ve done everything well. There’s been mission creep but they’ve always delivered what they said. They delivered a complex product for a new site that’s up 24/7. They’ve done a great job of listening to our needs and helping us create what we were looking for even when our message was unclear. They helped us sort through the various disparate messages and ideas to create a product that we were happy with.

Are there any areas Tivix could improve?

I only wish we would have done better on our side to know things or say things differently.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Tivix?

Have a well-thought-out plan of what you’re looking for. They helped us greatly to figure out what we needed but it would’ve streamlined the process if we had a sense of what we wanted and what our end goal was. Our business changes monthly but it’s good to have a sense of what you want to roll out in 6 months to a year and what that structure should be.

Overall Score They’ve been great to work with. They’re available whenever we’d had issues.
    They’re very available even on weekends.
    They worked with us as our needs changed to find a good price point.
    I have already recommended them.

Prototype Dev for Civic Engagement Tech Firm

"Tivix was hands down the best [consultancy] in terms of talent, communication, and meeting deadlines."

Jan. 2014 - Feb. 2015

Tivix prototyped the first version of an admin panel & analytics suite to be integrated with an existing database. The dev team also helped refine the workflow/finalize the solution's business logic.

Richmond, Virginia
Alex Schettine
President, Muster

Project management is a key strength rivaled only by their team's technical and strategic aptitude. Tivix became proactively involved from the very beginning and consistently made valuable product suggestions that would eventually be implemented.

Muster is an online application that serves associations and other organizations by helping them create online advocacy campaigns that are data and analytics driven. I’m the president and founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tivix?

We had a very extensive database already in place that was essentially the engine behind the Muster app. However, we didn’t have any product or solutions with features wrapped around the database. That's when we decided to develop and implement that product ecosystem around the existing database.

Tivix built version one of Muster with an interface and the analytics suite. They also determined the business logic of how the app would actually serve associations. We did a lot of wireframing and they built the whole workflow of how a campaign is created and then managed thereafter. Tivix came up with the email infrastructure that delivers the call to action to all the members and supporters of this organization. It’s a nicely designed email that says, “Click here to take action.” It’s web-based, and they used Python and Django to create it. The copy is written by all the customers, so we built the template. Our database matches people with the appropriate target based on their address. They also built the analytics suite that records everything so our customers, who are associations and charitable organizations, understand the efficacy of their campaigns.

How much have you invested with Tivix?

We’ve paid $300,000 for their services.

We started working with them in January 2014. The project timeline was about a year and it was completed 18 months ago.

The key performance indicator we look for is engagement rates. When our customers are sending out these emails, they want to see people not only opening them but also actually going on and taking action. If you look at the competitors in our space, which are VoterVoice and CQ Roll Call Engage, they have these benchmark standards. Not only were we meeting all these benchmark standards with the first version that Tivix built, but we were probably exceeding them. It all comes down to engagement with our business—we were getting numbers we were expecting and even better. They had some great solutions. At the time, we were very pleased with what they delivered, not only with the design but the execution of the frontend UI.

How did Tivix perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management part was rather easy. They were very clear in their communication. When they said that they were going to deliver something, they did so on time and it always was within reason of what we talked about. We used Basecamp, Pivotal Tracker, and Google Hangouts in our management.

What did you most impressive about Tivix?

I've worked with a few consultancies and Tivix was hands down the best one in terms of talent, communication, and meeting deadlines. When it comes down to it, they met every deadline and accomplished every goal we’ve set out to accomplish.

Are there any areas Tivix could improve?

I had zero problems working with them. As far as I can tell, they really are top-shelf.

Overall Score They are the best consultancy I have ever worked with.
    They’re pretty pricey, but I think it’s actually worth paying up. They’re in San Francisco, so you pay San Francisco prices.
    A lot of times with other consultancies, you’d have to say this is close but we need to fix X, Y, or Z. With Tivix, they deliver it and it works with no issues.
    Absolutely.

Database Development for Boutique Tech Firm

"I believe their company is built on agility, and I like it."

June 2016 - Ongoing

Tivix created custom software apps for two LLCs under a parent tech organization. They applied numerous skill sets in developing databases, logic and artificial intelligence, and failure analysis.

San Jose, California
Founder & CEO, Tech Firm

Project deliverables always exceed expectations in terms of defect rates. Discovered bugs usually take only hours to fix, which is rare to find. Tivix also spends considerable time and effort developing an agile culture within their team, which definitely pays off for customers.

I work for a tech company. I'm the co-founder, and I primarily work on the more technical side–engineering, development, product design, and hardware and software. My partner, the other co-founder, handles the business and strategy side of things.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tivix?

Our company is actually the parent firm of multiple smaller ones. Some of the LLCs that they're working on are MetConX and SportConX.

I work with 2 points of contact. The team ranged from 4–12 people. I provide a functional stack, and they come back with their suggestions. On the sports side, they created an app for a company that had integrated with sports games. They had a social app back-side similar to Facebook, so it had a social aspect to the app. The other parts like chat and streaming were simple, which I wasn't too concerned about. They were heavy on the database side, which I liked. They're also heavy into going into logic and artificial intelligence, which was pretty much the single differentiator.

How did you come to work with Tivix?

I did research online and found they were the only company that had touched on all aspects that I needed. The product itself had many variables, and they had experience in every single variable. We interviewed them. I asked them what they were strong at, and they pretty much came out with it. There was no faking it. They were very upfront about their skills and limitations.

We started working with them 12–16 months ago [late 2015 or early 2016].

What I liked was their mean time to repair [MTTR]. Every time I find a bug, they're quick at finding the root cause, fixing it, and getting a patch out. The entire failure-analysis side of it—they can whip out stuff in anywhere between 15 minutes and 2 hours. The hinge would be how quickly Apple can get the next build in. That's what I liked about them. They also were prepared compared to their peers on defect density. They either met or exceeded industry norms with low-defect density.

How did Tivix perform from a project management standpoint?

It's been easy to manage them. We first started with twice a week, and it's been so smooth that I moved it to once a week. We use cloud-based systems like Pivotal and another bug-tracking system. I could always hire someone else. It's up to me. But, so far, their team has been solid.

What did you most impressive about Tivix?

They're agile. I believe their company is built on agility, and I like it. For example, if I said, "We're gaining traction on this app, and I need Android and desktop versions built out. Send me a quote, and when can it start?"—which is something I've done a couple of times—every time they've come back and they're like “We can start that in as soon as 2 or 3 weeks.” If you need velocity, they could scale.

I can't think of any.