Engineering Innovation

Our ethos is encapsulated in our internal motto: Get shit done. It’s what our clients expect of us, and what we expect of our teammates. It also represents what we believe good software should do.

We're selective about the engagements we take on, because we want client engagements where we legitimately add high-leverage value. Sticking to engagements that align with core expertise allows us to move fast, be productive, and add value quickly.

We believe in doing things right and treating people well. If we nail that, everything else will follow.

Company Focus

Our focus is the agile development of web, cloud, and mobile applications. We reduce development risk for our clients by using agile methodology and standards-based code to get digital platforms to market quickly.

Practice Areas

Our primary practice areas include Software Engineering, Digital Innovation, and Agile DevOps.

Engineering Technologies

While we use many different technologies to meet clients’ needs, our core stack usually includes MySQL/PostgreSQL, and Django/Python on the back-end, plus AngularJS/Bootstrap on the front-end (this is the same technology stack used by many leading applications today, including Instagram, Pinterest, and more). For mobile applications we use native iOS (Objective-C/Swift) and Android (Java), integrated with RESTful API’s.

$100,000

1 Fore Street
    London EC2Y 9DT

SolarCity, Pfizer, VMware, Bayer, Syapse, Apple

Prototype Dev for Civic Engagement Tech Firm

"Tivix was hands down the best [consultancy] in terms of talent, communication, and meeting deadlines."

Jan. 2014 - Feb. 2015

Tivix prototyped the first version of an admin panel & analytics suite to be integrated with an existing database. The dev team also helped refine the workflow/finalize the solution's business logic.

Richmond, Virginia
President, Muster

Project management is a key strength rivaled only by their team's technical and strategic aptitude. Tivix became proactively involved from the very beginning and consistently made valuable product suggestions that would eventually be implemented.

Muster is an online application that serves associations and other organizations by helping them create online advocacy campaigns that are data and analytics driven. I’m the president and founder of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tivix?

We had a very extensive database already in place that was essentially the engine behind the Muster app. However, we didn’t have any product or solutions with features wrapped around the database. That's when we decided to develop and implement that product ecosystem around the existing database.

Tivix built version one of Muster with an interface and the analytics suite. They also determined the business logic of how the app would actually serve associations. We did a lot of wireframing and they built the whole workflow of how a campaign is created and then managed thereafter. Tivix came up with the email infrastructure that delivers the call to action to all the members and supporters of this organization. It’s a nicely designed email that says, “Click here to take action.” It’s web-based, and they used Python and Django to create it. The copy is written by all the customers, so we built the template. Our database matches people with the appropriate target based on their address. They also built the analytics suite that records everything so our customers, who are associations and charitable organizations, understand the efficacy of their campaigns.

How much have you invested with Tivix?

We’ve paid $300,000 for their services.

We started working with them in January 2014. The project timeline was about a year and it was completed 18 months ago.

The key performance indicator we look for is engagement rates. When our customers are sending out these emails, they want to see people not only opening them but also actually going on and taking action. If you look at the competitors in our space, which are VoterVoice and CQ Roll Call Engage, they have these benchmark standards. Not only were we meeting all these benchmark standards with the first version that Tivix built, but we were probably exceeding them. It all comes down to engagement with our business—we were getting numbers we were expecting and even better. They had some great solutions. At the time, we were very pleased with what they delivered, not only with the design but the execution of the frontend UI.

How did Tivix perform from a project management standpoint?

The project management part was rather easy. They were very clear in their communication. When they said that they were going to deliver something, they did so on time and it always was within reason of what we talked about. We used Basecamp, Pivotal Tracker, and Google Hangouts in our management.

What did you most impressive about Tivix?

I've worked with a few consultancies and Tivix was hands down the best one in terms of talent, communication, and meeting deadlines. When it comes down to it, they met every deadline and accomplished every goal we’ve set out to accomplish.

Are there any areas Tivix could improve?

I had zero problems working with them. As far as I can tell, they really are top-shelf.

Overall Score They are the best consultancy I have ever worked with.
    They’re pretty pricey, but I think it’s actually worth paying up. They’re in San Francisco, so you pay San Francisco prices.
    A lot of times with other consultancies, you’d have to say this is close but we need to fix X, Y, or Z. With Tivix, they deliver it and it works with no issues.
    Absolutely.

Database Development for Boutique Tech Firm

"I believe their company is built on agility, and I like it."

June 2016 - Ongoing

Tivix created custom software apps for two LLCs under a parent tech organization. They applied numerous skill sets in developing databases, logic and artificial intelligence, and failure analysis.

San Jose, California
Founder & CEO, Tech Firm

Project deliverables always exceed expectations in terms of defect rates. Discovered bugs usually take only hours to fix, which is rare to find. Tivix also spends considerable time and effort developing an agile culture within their team, which definitely pays off for customers.

I work for a tech company. I'm the co-founder, and I primarily work on the more technical side–engineering, development, product design, and hardware and software. My partner, the other co-founder, handles the business and strategy side of things.

What challenge were you trying to address with Tivix?

Our company is actually the parent firm of multiple smaller ones. Some of the LLCs that they're working on are MetConX and SportConX.

I work with 2 points of contact. The team ranged from 4–12 people. I provide a functional stack, and they come back with their suggestions. On the sports side, they created an app for a company that had integrated with sports games. They had a social app back-side similar to Facebook, so it had a social aspect to the app. The other parts like chat and streaming were simple, which I wasn't too concerned about. They were heavy on the database side, which I liked. They're also heavy into going into logic and artificial intelligence, which was pretty much the single differentiator.

How did you come to work with Tivix?

I did research online and found they were the only company that had touched on all aspects that I needed. The product itself had many variables, and they had experience in every single variable. We interviewed them. I asked them what they were strong at, and they pretty much came out with it. There was no faking it. They were very upfront about their skills and limitations.

We started working with them 12–16 months ago [late 2015 or early 2016].

What I liked was their mean time to repair [MTTR]. Every time I find a bug, they're quick at finding the root cause, fixing it, and getting a patch out. The entire failure-analysis side of it—they can whip out stuff in anywhere between 15 minutes and 2 hours. The hinge would be how quickly Apple can get the next build in. That's what I liked about them. They also were prepared compared to their peers on defect density. They either met or exceeded industry norms with low-defect density.

How did Tivix perform from a project management standpoint?

It's been easy to manage them. We first started with twice a week, and it's been so smooth that I moved it to once a week. We use cloud-based systems like Pivotal and another bug-tracking system. I could always hire someone else. It's up to me. But, so far, their team has been solid.

What did you most impressive about Tivix?

They're agile. I believe their company is built on agility, and I like it. For example, if I said, "We're gaining traction on this app, and I need Android and desktop versions built out. Send me a quote, and when can it start?"—which is something I've done a couple of times—every time they've come back and they're like “We can start that in as soon as 2 or 3 weeks.” If you need velocity, they could scale.

Are there any areas Tivix could improve?

I can't think of any.