Great design begins with smart strategy.

We understand that every business has different needs, however one thing never changes—the need for smart strategy. We help companies at all stages of growth—from newly formed start-ups to mature leaders—develop visual design solutions to help them grow.

2001
Santa Clara, CA
  • 5201 Great America Parkway, Suite #360
    Santa Clara, CA 95054

Google, Stanford University, NASA, Rancher, PLEX, San Jose ICA, Second Harvest Food Bank, San Francisco 49ers, Santa Clara University, Rancher, Polycom, In-Q-Tel, Churchill Club, Wootric, Aviatrix, Synchro Software, Future Dial, AllocateRite

NADGrid

NAD Grid is an exciting startup in the clean, renewable energy space. We worked with them to enhance their branding and design a new website to help promote their upcoming ICO.

Google

Various logo designs for Google internal events team. Also designed a variety of large format graphics and signage for various events.

San Francisco 49ers

Designed a variety of large format graphics for the interior of the 49ers training facility.

San Jose ICA

The San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art is a wonderful organization that promotes greater awareness and appreciation of contemporary art. We had the privilege of working with ICA to develop a modern, energetic and informative new website.

We continue to work with the ICA on site maintenance and other marketing initiatives.

UpCrunch

Branding design and website development for UpCrunch, a new small business funding solution.

Open Range

Brand design and development for Open Range, a new, sustainable butcher shop in San Jose, CA.

Naming & Logo for Interview Prep Service Firm

"Rocky made us feel like partners from day one."

Apr. 2018 - July 2018

Studio 22 led a startup through several iterations of brainstorming and revision to find a new name, design a logo, and refine branding. They also provided advice on how to improve the UX/UI.

Houston, Texas
John Gross & Ariana Kempis
Owner & Operations Manager, Abrydge

Based on the results of testing with family and friends, the branded deliverables Studio 22 produced are outstanding. They captured the desired messaging, identity, and look and feel through copywriting and visual assets. As genuinely interested partners, the team produces a high ROI.

John Gross: I’m the owner and founder of Abrydge, a startup company. Our goal is to help college students prepare better for job interviews and smooth the transition from academia to a professional work environment. We sell research-based information online and provide school programs to individual colleges.

Ariana Kempis: I’m the operations manager.

What challenge were you trying to address with Studio 22?

AK: We wanted help with our branding, logo, and naming process. We had still been going by our LLC name and needed a new one to go to market.

AK:  We went through multiple rounds of revisions with Studio 22 to develop our logo and refine the feel our brand emits. They were very much involved in helping us picture how our website would look. After we had our web developer make those changes, we went back to Rocky (Founder and Creative Director, Studio 22) for UX/UI advice. From there, we’d continue to make those revisions. They’ve definitely helped us improve our site.

AK: We mostly worked with Rocky. His wife, Monica (Account Manager/Project Coordinator, Studio 22) was present for most of our communications. She took on a project manager role while Rocky handled the creative side.

How did you come to work with Studio 22?

AK: I searched online for the top branding firms in the Bay Area. I had spoken to a career counselor at Santa Clara University who mentioned being pleased with Studio 22 when they worked together. We compared and contrasted the best consultants to help us with this whole process. Part of the reason we chose them was their specific experience working with schools. They had expanded upon their work with different universities in the bay area.

JG: We interviewed and cross-compared five different firms for this project. Studio 22 wasn’t the cheapest, but the cost wasn’t our primary concern. We were focused on quality and experience. Rocky made us feel like partners from day one. He was very interested in our project, rather than just a number of paid project hours.

We spent $27,500.

We worked together from April–July 2018.

AK: Regarding actual deliverables, Studio 22 provided very thorough examples of their work aesthetically before we committed to them and that was very helpful. We loved the aesthetic they designed. It aligned perfectly with what we eventually wanted to achieve.

JG:  Studio 22 provided a significantly higher value for the cost than other consultants, web designers, and marketing firms we’ve used. We just opened the third week of August. Since then, we’ve tested the name, logo, concepts, colors, and bylines they developed for us with family and friends. All the feedback has been exceptionally positive.

How did Studio 22 perform from a project management standpoint?

AK: I mostly corresponded with Rocky because we are both based in San Jose. We had meetings over the phone and in person. Studio 22 was very responsive and timely. We always had ongoing communication and never had to push them to respond. They used Basecamp and ensured we were familiar and comfortable with the tool. We felt like they really took an interest in our business’s success. They managed time effectively and made sure we all felt like one big team.

JG: Studio 22 is very specialized in the work they contributed for us. They were excellent. I can’t say enough about how pleased I was with them. After they did such a great job for us, we were hoping to use them for online advertising and social media. Unfortunately, they don’t offer those services.

JG: No.

AK: We worked really well with them because we’re also a very small team. I got the feeling they preferred working with smaller clients and having access to people who make decisions. They like to keep things moving. Smaller or flatter organizations are a great fit for Studio 22.

Overall Score They’re exceptional. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them again for new branding, logos, or a side business as we evolve. We’ll go to them first.
    We outsource HR, IT, social media, and advertising, and Studio 22 is our best consultant. They keep us informed and hit all the deadlines.
    They not only produced exceptional quality but also did so at a very fair and competitive price.

Branding & Web Redesign for Energy Startup

“They are willing to put in extra time and conduct research on their own.”

Feb. 2018 - Mar. 2017

Studio 22 managed logo design, site redesign, print design, industry marketing materials, and presentation templates as part of an overarching rebrand.

Cupertino, California
Thomas Sun
CEO, NAD Grid

The Studio 22 team was able to completely redesign the site to meet an aggressive deadline for presentation purposes. The CEO was extremely responsive and collaborative in finding tailored solutions for the project. The team also conducted extensive research to understand the specific industry.

I’m the CEO of NAD Grid, a startup in the technology space. We have a team of five people working on upgrading the current electrical grid with more intelligent software. We are also a blockchain company. A part of our solution includes a blockchain that tracks energy origins.

What challenge were you trying to address with Studio 22?

We had built our first website ourselves and needed to update and improve the UX/UI. We were also new to marketing/branding, and none of us had expertise in the field. We were looking to work with an agency that could help us with all of the above.

In an overall rebrand, Studio 22 has provided logo and website redesign, PowerPoint pitch templates, white-paper documents, and all other graphics associated with our business. We’re looking to engage them further on the design of our actual product and user application in moving forward.

In the beginning of the project, we provided details on what we were trying to achieve with the website. A part of our product involves blockchain technology, and we had previously done a fundraiser using cryptocurrencies. Studio 22 conducted huge amounts of research on blockchains and cryptocurrencies, and the website they created has served as a primary tool in getting better acquainted with the crypto-community.

We’re currently preparing to the seventh version of the site, and all of their proposals have been very impressive. I believe that they built the site on WordPress. Additionally, we worked with a video company in producing an informational video for the website. Studio 22 worked with them directly to make sure that the style of the video aligned with our overall brand.

Rocky (Director and CEO, Studio 22) served as our primary point of contact, and he worked with the whole Studio 22 team to make sure everyone was always on the same page. We also worked with their account manager on payments and other administrative tasks.

How did you come to work with Studio 22?

We researched possible companies online and narrowed them down to a list of four. Studio 22 was the most flexible and reasonably priced on the list. They also agreed to work within our somewhat aggressive timeline. Other candidates were looking to sell us a package with a number of services we didn’t really need, while Studio 22 was willing to break payment down and charge us for only what we needed.

We’ve invested about $25,000 so far.

We started working with Studio 22 at the end of February 2018. We needed to launch the site in March of this year, in time for a major event we participated in. The second version of the website was launched on March 13, and we’re continuing to work on improved iterations.

We have a plugin on the website for gathering metrics, but I don’t have the data available at the moment. However, everyone who’s seen the second version of the website has complimented its layout and design.

Our company deals with very complex concepts in managing the coordination of different assets on electric grids. It’s difficult to explain these concepts, but Studio 22 was able to lay them out in intuitive diagrams and simple animations. The entire website has worked well for people who are completely unfamiliar with the services we provide. It’s also worked well with industry experts—people that work with utility companies and the blockchain community.

Since our work with Studio 22, our site traffic has increased significantly. People who’d seen the website referred others to it, but we’ve also done some SEO work independently.

How did Studio 22 perform from a project management standpoint?

They were able to complete the project on our extremely aggressive timeline, which speaks volumes in terms of their management of the project. Throughout the process, Rocky asked substantive questions to better understand our business. He was very responsive and willing to collaborate on any ideas we had. I don’t know how they managed everything behind the scenes, but all the deadlines were hit.

We’ve used Jira internally for tracking the project and communicated with Rocky primarily via phone and email.

They are willing to put in extra time and conduct research on their own. Rocky not only researched blockchain and cryptocurrency technologies, but also watched a 2-hour documentary on the electrical grid.

Rocky and Studio 22 are very flexible, so nothing in particular comes to mind. They’re capable of working well with anyone. Rocky has some impressive experience, and he can lead project management and project delivery. We didn’t run into any issues with them.

Overall Score We’re hoping to continue the partnership into many more projects in moving forward.
    They complete redesigned our website and refined our brand within less than three weeks.
    Studio 22’s pricing was much more reasonable than the other companies we were considering.
    Results have been impressive, and they delivered on time despite an extremely aggressive timeline.

Web Redesign for Roofing Contractor Company

"They were organized, timely, and actively engaged."

Nov. 2017 - Mar. 2018

Studio 22 redesigned project showcases, upgraded UX/UI, and added informational features to a site for superior functionality.

Fremont, California
Robin Maxwell
CFO, Roof Structures, Inc.

The client's executive leadership was pleased with the results of the engagement. The site layout was more modern and organized for users. Studio 22 was easy to reach, responsive, and attentive to detail.

Roof Structures Incorporated is a construction company and subcontractor. I am the controller and CFO of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Studio 22?

We needed an update and redesign of our outdated site.

Studio 22 redesigned our site to feature photos of various completed projects. They updated to smoother UX/UI and constructively formatted the showcasing of our projects. Rocky Tilney (Founder, Studio 22) advised on how to present our services and format information to be organized. He talked through the process, gave us feedback through our concerns, and then created a framework to work with. They also developed a quick fact page for our site, allowing efficient access to information. They continue to oversee the website whenever problems arise.

I worked closely with Rocky throughout the project and spoke with another associate for the initial phone calls.

How did you come to work with Studio 22?

I was referred to Studio 22 by the director of a marketing department where I was previously employed. Their referral held a lot of weight in my decision.

We invested $14,000 in the project.

I have worked with them from November 2017 through February 2018.

They developed a quick facts page that allows contractors to see our worker's comp experience mod rate, bonding capacity, and other information without calling us. Their redesign has made our website cleaner, smoother, and is a visual improvement over the old site.

How did Studio 22 perform from a project management standpoint?

I have absolutely no complaints. Studio 22 and Rocky was organized, timely, and actively engaged. He was attentive to even minor changes.

Rocky was always communicating with me and adhering to project requests or changes.

No, I thought they were great.

I would tell potential customers to rely on Rocky’s expertise and listen closely to his feedback.

They met all deadlines.
    It was definitely worth it.
    I was quite pleased with the turnout.

Website Redesign for Interior Design Company

“Having a web designer who is surrounded by top technology in Silicon Valley is a real advantage.”

Aug. 2017 - Oct. 2017

Studio 22 has updated the web presence and branding of an interior design company on two occasions. Through knowledge of cutting-edge technology, they provided a clean, modern site to meet specifications.

Bethesda, Maryland
Sheryl Steinberg
Founder, Sheryl Steinberg Interior Design

Clients comment positively on the look of the new site. Professionalism and responsiveness frame Studio 22’s work, and they are willing to communicate even beyond project completion.

I am the founder and principal interior designer for an interior architecture design firm. My work includes residential and commercial design in the D.C. area, as well as remotely with clients out of the area.

What challenge were you trying to address with Studio 22?

The challenge was to redevelop my web presence and business brand as my company grew.

I’ve worked with them twice to redesign my website. The first time was seven years ago, and then again six months ago. They redeveloped my logo and branding to match my marketing goals. The site is now mobile friendly and able to keep up with rapid changes to technology and devices. They’re very knowledgeable on the latest technologies, and they helped us chose the right hosting company. I had very specific ideas, with particular graphics and typeface in mind. I provided examples of websites I liked. I wanted a clean, simple-to-navigate website that reflects my design work. Studio 22 really nailed it. They chose the right platform for my firm and provided me exactly what I was looking for and more.

I worked with Rocky [Founder & CEO, Studio 22] and Monica [Sr. Account Manager, Studio 22] worked with me. They made topic and graphics suggestions, and they may have had other people involved on their side.

How did you come to work with Studio 22?

We had a mutual business associate who used them for his website and recommended Rocky. I used to live in Silicon Valley, so we had an initial meeting in person. After that we communicated primarily via email and text. Now we use Dropbox to share photos.

The cost was very reasonable.

We started working on the redesign of my website August 2017 and was completed in October 2017.

My website and social media are all linked and I can track engagement and analytics from all platforms. My site has generated very positive feedback and is a catalyst to generate additional interest in using my design company.

How did Studio 22 perform from a project management standpoint?

They respond quickly and manage the workload efficiently. Once the development is complete, they give instructions and information on managing the website. Even when the site is done, they’re still willing to communicate and assist.

They’re very professional and pleasant to work with. When I had additional tweaks or changes, they were very responsive. They are extremely knowledgeable about web design and development. Having a web designer who is surrounded by top technology in Silicon Valley is a real advantage.

I honestly don’t have anything negative to say about them.

Be clear on your goals up front. They will work with you to efficiently and effectively achieve those goals throughout the web design process.

Overall Score They were excellent.
    I only had a couple of months to complete the project, and he met my deadlines.
    The cost was excellent. One new client will more than cover the expense.
    They respond quickly, and are good communicators. They met my goals, and were considerate of my broad range of customers.
    They’re the only team I’ll use to update my website, and they’re easy to work with remotely. I would absolutely recommend them.

Comprehensive Strategy & Web Redesign for IoT Security Startup

"They were extremely helpful on the project and the end result is very functional."

Oct. 2016 - Feb. 2017

Studio 22 was responsible for migration of our existing website to a WordPress platform, and its redesign. A new navigation system and SEO were built in, along with plenty of new content.

Mountain View, California
Digital Marketing Director, Computer Software Startup

The platform is reliable, functional, and likely was responsible for an increase of traffic to the website. Communication occurred regularly through weekly meetings and Basecamp with a quick response. There were never any delays associated with their team.

I was head of marketing for an early stage security startup. To be more specific, it was an Amazon Web Services based software IoT security company. I was responsible for all aspects of the marketing programs, from the website to lead generation.

What challenge were you trying to address with Studio 22.

We had an existing website and didn’t have the budget to build a new one, but wanted a redesign and to migrate to another hosting provider. We also had a lot of new content around the main pages we wanted to create.

They were responsible for the redesign of our website, as well migration to WordPress and development of the new platform. They built out a new navigation system, as well a lot of new content around our main pages. They were extremely helpful in building our marketing automation form, and we use Marketo to capture leads on the site.

We spent considerable time building the SEO into the site, because none of that existed before we hired them; however, I did all the SEO in keywords and how we’re optimizing each page. They also moved all of our existing blog information into the new platform and helped us build back links to cross-pollinate some of the content.

I worked with a total of 3 individuals. They’re not that type of web design firm who sends the owner for the initial meeting, and then don’t work on your project. I worked with Rocky, the founder & CEO, and he managed several others internally that I would interface with including their internal backend team member.

How did you come to work with Studio 22?

I previously had worked at bigger companies and new lots of web firms, but I wasn’t sure I had the budget to work with them; as well, I knew they would take a long time. I happened to also be consulting at another startup at the time, and realized they were using WordPress. I looked up our website and found the web firm they had used. They were local and I reached out to them. It was fairly large project with a modest budget, and I chose Studio 22 in regards to budgeting and their previous experience with startups.

The initial investment was around $35,000.

We started working together in October 2016, and the engagement was complete in February 2017.

The website they built is still up and running, and the company has been using their platform to add content. The platform they developed is extremely reliable and functional. They made a lot of good suggestion in terms of navigation through content and calls to action.

I have to make the assumption that increased traffic, but we also launched the website at the same time we launched the company; so there was a lot more traffic associated with press and analyst briefs, and articles written about us. We were definitely driving more traffic to the website at the same time.

How did Studio 22 perform from a project management standpoint?

We had weekly meetings once the project kicked off over the phone or in person. We then also communicated regularly through Basecamp, which is their tool to pose questions or tasks that need to be done. They always responded within a few hours.

Honestly, I can’t think of any. It was a very good experience in terms of working with web agencies.

Often with web projects, the delay is usually on the client side and not agency. I would recommend making sure you as a company can stick to the timeline. We drove them to a pretty short deadline, and they stuck with when often times we didn’t. Be prepared for follow the process. I’ve always found it best to follow their process, because they usually know what works best because they’ve done this time and time again.

Overall Score They were great to work with and super responsive.
    I didn’t have any issues with them working towards deadlines and a timeline.
    They were cost effective, within the scope of my budget, and did a great job.
    I would recommend them definitely to another startup.

Web Design for Contemporary Art Nonprofit

"They were great and I can only say positive things about them."

May 2017 - Sept. 2017

After a media-heavy organizational website was corrupted, Studio 22 built a wireframe, then developed a new site from scratch using WordPress.

San Jose, California
San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art

The new site, which integrates high-tech and artistic sensibilities, keeps visitors on the site much longer than its predecessor. The team communicated effortlessly with staff and with other stakeholders across varying levels of technological understanding, expediting delivery of a top-notch site.

I work for  the nonprofit San Jose Institute of Contemporary Art.

What challenge were you trying to address with Studio 22?

The website we had for several years was corrupted; we lost all of our content (including thousands of images) and couldn't even access the site. We were able to put up a stop-gap site, but we needed to redesign our site in full from the ground up in a fairly short period of time. That gave us a reason to rethink what we really wanted to do with our website, so we looked for a company that could buildit for us.

We told them what we wanted our website to do. Then, based on a detailed questionnaire about our goals, our many constituents, and how we wanted communicate with those constituents, they sketched out a wireframe to address our concerns. Then, they built a new WordPress website for us.

The CEO was our primary point of contact. He coordinated the work of the design team.

How did you come to work with them?

We wanted to stay local. There are a lot design firms in Silicon Valley, but most do tech design. I researched local shops whose web designs had the kind of aesthetic that would work for a nonprofit. We interviewed three candidate firms and Studio 22 came out on top because somehow their aesthetic merged that of a high-tech organization and one of an arts organization. We could see the beginnings of our website in their portfolio.

We spent approximately $25,000.

We started working with them in May 2017 and the website went live in September 2017.

Our members are spending a lot more time on this website than they did with the other one. The longer they spend on our website, the more information they're getting and the more they're interacting with us. Our goal is always to get them to look at the website and then come in because we're a visual arts organization.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They delivered on time unless we failed to get them what they needed. The CEO was attentive and always available either in person or remotely (primarily via Basecamp). When we did meet in person, they were very easy to deal with.

We asked them to come to our board meeting where there were a lot of smart and tech-savvy people. Studio 22 presented the entire website to the board very professionally and in a way that both the non-tech and the tech people could relate to. We appreciated the fact that they can set people of varying levels of understanding of web development and media strategy at ease.

We had two platform options: proprietary software that could do “crazy” things and create very interactive websites versus something more traditional. In going with WordPress, you choose to forgo a wacky, very contemporary website and go with something that is a little bit more traditional, but easier to maintain.

Be clear about our goals and take time to prepare. They will design a site that addresses your every need, but you have to tell them what those needs are, what you're trying to communicate, and what the message is. If you aren’t clear, they can’t execute, but if you are, you’ll get exactly what you asked for.

Overall Score They were great and I can only say positive things about them. We’re continuing to work with them on other projects.
    They were right in the middle, given the range of our needs. The value for what they did was spot-on.
    They delivered everything on time and on budget.
    We have already recommended them.