Software development services with a high standard

We create astonishing web and mobile applications using the modern day frameworks which are focused on building quick-to-market, scalable and fault-tolerant applications.

Our customers get:

1. Proof of concept
  2. MVP
  3. Ongoing development
  4. Technology partnership for existing business

Our main goal is to develop a project which will reflect your idea and contain the best solutions from our side.

Services we provide:

• Business analysis
  • UX strategy and functional requirements creation
  • UI design, product identity
  • Mobile (iOS and Android) development
  • Bespoke web development
  • Product support and iterative development

Some of the industries we serve:

• Medical software development
  • Booking and scheduling solutions
  • Recruitment software
  • GPS-based solutions
  • Business Process Automation

Drop us a line to email [email protected]!

Odessa, Ukraine

Application platform
Productivity & collaboration
Artificial Intelligence Focus

Snaapy - eCommerce platform for B2C sector

Snaapy helps clients connect with businesses which offer anything from car rentals to a haircut, to a babysitter for a couple of hours. Clients have the ability to make an appointment with the necessary service provider, choosing the time which suits them best. This mobile solution provides instant access to basic services and improves the overall management within

enterprises.

Spotvice - Photo- and Location-Based Platform for Travel Suggestions

Spotvice is a social networking platform that allows users to share their favorite locations by pinning a picture of them to the map. The most important feature is that you get suggestions only from people you know and trust - your friends (the list of whom is based on data collected from Facebook).

Khabar - News Aggregator platform and native mobile applications

Khabar is a mobile app which gives you a possibility to subscribe to unbiased news sources like BBC, CNN, etc. and stay tuned for the most important events happening worldwide. Receive push notifications for breaking news, share the most exciting information on social networks and leave comments. Khabar helps you see any situation from different perspectives in order to let you make your own conclusions.

Jobmarch - Job and employee searching platform

JobMatch is a game changer for businesses and jobseekers who want to establish a prosperous collaboration. Bearing a resemblance to Tinder, JobMatch selects only those applicants who suit your professional needs, making the search fast and easy.

Possion - Universal GPS Tracking platform for portable property

Possio is a Swedish service which offers sensors, software and the very best GPS/GSM tracking solutions for vehicles and different assets. With the Possio Tracker app you can find out where your property is and secure it with the help of Possio Tracker device.

Nova-Vita clinic

Hang - party making messenger

Inkbulb - educational platform

Inkbulb - educational platform

Development of Social Collaboration Platform

“Their team members are very creative and proactive. Even if you know what you want to do, ask for their opinion.”

Dec. 2018 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi is developing a collaborative social platform that allows users to crowdsource information on niche research topics. It features effective URL bookmarking tools to encourage community interaction.

Boston, Massachusetts
Seokkue Song
Founder, Pikurate

The project is almost complete and features a strong tech stack. SteelKiwi has adapted well to all requirement changes, keeping the schedule and costs within the established estimates. Their transparency and excellent documentation habits compliment their project management skills well.

I’m the founder of Pikurate, a social collaboration platform. We offer an invaluable knowledge-sharing experience, allowing users to gain insights from domain experts for various research topics.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed someone to develop our social collaboration platform because we didn’t have an internal development team.

SteelKiwi developed my social collaboration platform, consulting us to select the best tech stack for our needs (Python, Django, PostgreSQL, React, Next.js, Node.js, and MobX.js).

Our product is a single platform that allows users to connect and interact with people to crowdsource knowledge. It’s really an information curation platform. Users who are interested in specific research topics can use our site to communicate with similarly-minded people.

We offer three main tools: the first is a unique bookmarking tool to organize valuable URL links; the second is a convenient research collaboration tool for individuals to share their referenced links; the third is a crowd-curated and vetted collection of information.

These benefits impart a more effective way of conducting online research. Whereas before, users would simply copy and paste single links here and there, our platform allows users to find a set of community-reviewed resources and collaborate with others, all organized by relevant research topics. In the future, we hope users will use the platform to answer more complicated questions.

There are eight people, including a project manager.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I researched online for good development shops and found SteelKiwi on Clutch. Out of the 40 companies I considered, I narrowed down my list to 5–6 candidates and interviewed each. My key criteria were price, quality, the right tech stack, and the right methodology. The estimated project period also had to be a good fit for my situation, and their credibility and reviews had to be great. SteelKiwi was a good option to meet my needs.

I’ve invested $50,000 so far.

We started working together in December 2018, and the work is ongoing. We’re almost done with the project.

So far, their project costs have fit my budget, and their time estimates are very reasonable and shorter than their competitors. Adding on to that, when I asked my CTO for his thoughts, he said their proposed tech stack was decent.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve performed very well. The team documents everything they create, so whenever I have a question, I can refer to their notes. This has been helpful because I’ve sometimes had to change a previous request that was recorded in their doc.

For example, in the beginning, we agreed to do two-week sprints, but I later realized that we had to develop faster. They understood the situation and easily switched gears to meet my needs. I appreciate their flexibility and willingness to adjust to my situation. In terms of communication, we coordinate through Skype, Trello, Slack, Jira, Confluence, and Google Doc.

This is a basic point, but I like how everything is very organized and well-planned—not all companies will do that. Their project manager gives me information well in advance. She lets me know what to expect for this week and the next and even a month later, so it’s easy for me to anticipate any potential changes. If a team member has a vacation coming up, she also gives me plenty of notice so that I can adjust.

Every development project has the same problem which is that time and budget estimates don’t always match up with the actual cost/schedule. This isn’t necessarily the vendor’s fault because startups don’t always know what they want to do and will change their requirements during development. SteelKiwi tries to stick closely to their estimates, but it would be good if they could be even more accurate.

Their team members are very creative and proactive. Even if you know what you want to do, ask for their opinion because sometimes their advice or insight is better. Use them not only to do something, but also to possibly find a better solution.

Mobile App Development for Restaurant Chain

"This wasn’t an easy project, and we weren’t easy customers, but they delivered the solution on time."

Oct. 2017 - Nov. 2018

Working with provided designs, SteelKiwi developed a food ordering application for a restaurant chain. They contributed conceptually in UX discussions and managed all technical aspects of the build.

Belgium
Damien Toulouse
Founder, Can Tho

SteelKiwi overcame some staff turnover to successfully deliver a functional application that has received positive feedback from customers. The team communicates well and is driven to meet all requirements. Their practical project management methods foster a smooth engagement.

I am the founder of Can Tho, which is a chain of restaurants that specializes in Vietnamese cuisine.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

As we planned to open our restaurant, we wanted to introduce an ordering application for our customers. In addition to hopefully reducing the personnel needed to operate the restaurant, we wanted to provide an enjoyable customer experience that would allow users to order and customize their food remotely.

We had many lengthy conversations regarding the ideal UX for the application. The finalization of the app’s flow then drove the development of the application itself. We relied on SteelKiwi to handle all technical elements of the project.

We worked with a group of 6–7 people.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

My wife, who is the marketing director for our restaurants, found SteelKiwi. They had an impressive pitch, so we felt comfortable selecting them.

We spent between $50,000­–$200,000.

Our engagement began in October 2017. They delivered the first version of the application in November 2018, and we are currently working on a second version.

The app functions as we hoped. It has very few bugs and has performed well. We have received a lot of positive feedback from our customers. They’re delighted and find it very user-friendly. And from a business standpoint, we’ve saved between $70,000–$105,000 in staff costs because of the application.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We worked very well together. We communicated primarily using Slack and Google Meet.

Their team suffered from quite a bit of staff turnover, which prolonged the work and required new members to play catch-up on the project details. Also, SteelKiwi could improve by making more of a commitment to product design. My team provided a lot of creative elements.

As with any project, it’s critical to be clear about what you want.

Mobile App Dev for Social Media Startup

"SteelKiwi was highly communicative, understanding, and honest."

Sept. 2018 - Apr. 2019

SteelKiwi built the MVP of an app for Android and iOS devices. Using existing screens, they designed wireframes and helped launch the app. Key features include location services, user profiles, and messaging.

San Diego, California
Founder, Social Media Startup

The MVP launched and met all requirements, leading to more work for SteelKiwi. The team delivered high-quality work on time and at competitive prices. Frequent communication, quick response times, diligence, and transparency made for a smooth collaboration throughout.

I’m the founder of a social media startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

I engaged SteelKiwi to develop an application for Android and iOS devices.

I provided at least 70 mockups and screens formatted in Figma. SteelKiwi took my exact design and redesigned it on InVision. Their duplicates matched 80% of my initial wireframes, but they incorporated the original theme and color schemes. They then built the app from scratch using Google Flutter.

The app uses Google Maps to create a location-specific feed. Users can post to publish feeds up to a radius of 300 feet and their posts last up to 48 hours. They can also look up feeds from other locations, pull up user profiles, have friends-only feeds, send messages, and change background images.

After development, SteelKiwi helped launch an MVP, create a mail account using Mailgun, and set up the AWS servers.

I worked with five people. The project manager served as my primary point of contact, but I could also message the lead developer as needed.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I was looking for outsourced developers a few years earlier, and SteelKiwi’s review and portfolio impressed me. However, the timing wasn’t right, so I waited before contracting their team until I had screens to provide. SteelKiwi came back with a cost estimate and a timeline, and we started the project from there.

I spent $40,000.

We started working together in September 2018, and the app launched in April 2019.

The MVP has launched and functions well. There’s room for improvement, but I look forward to the final version. SteelKiwi and I are now working on a website to start attracting users.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

SteelKiwi was highly organized and accommodating from start to finish. I sent screenshots of any areas that needed fixing, and they addressed it right away. Their team also sent screenshots of anything that needed updating. Their willingness to make time for me while working on other projects impressed me. The back-and-forth made communication as smooth as possible. I received multiple options to choose from at every step, which reassured me that I was getting the most value out of our engagement. We communicated via email and Slack.

SteelKiwi was highly communicative, understanding, and honest. They demonstrated a willingness to take on complicated projects and delivered an app that functions as I envisioned.

The team’s timing occasionally ran into issues, but I expected it. I appreciate their responsiveness after work hours and can’t think of any areas for improvement.

Given the number of developers out there, it can be tough to choose a good one. However, I’m happy with SteelKiwi’s work, and I’d definitely recommend their team.

SteelKiwi charged lowers rates than US providers.
    I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a partner like SteelKiwi.

iOS Development for Digital Company

“I always felt like my project was in good hands.”

Nov. 2017 - Aug. 2018

Using provided design ideas, SteelKiwi developed the UI elements, animations, and screens for a mood-tracking iOS mobile application that aims to improve users’ mental health.

Wien, Austria
Christoph Matzka
Founder, Matoph Labs

SteelKiwi delivered the project on time. The app performed will on the App Store, receiving 100 reviews and a 4.5 rating. They were transparent and communicative, managing an effective workflow and quickly addressing any questions. The positive experience will likely lead to future collaboration.

I’m the founder and owner of Matoph Labs. We’re a new, Vienna-based, digital services company that provides solutions to support and improve users’ mental health.

For what projects/services did your company hire SteelKiwi?

I had an idea for a mood-tracking mobile application. I’d put together a design and a set of requirements, but I needed a reliable and trustworthy agency to build out the platform using Swift technology.

I wanted a store-ready app with room for future expansions and improvements.

I searched on- and offline for app development companies and freelancers. In total, I considered 50 providers, but only shortlisted 10. I interviewed each one to assess their development capabilities, project management approach, and communication skills. I also requested timeline and cost estimates. Ultimately, I selected SteelKiwi because they offered the broadest skill set, a reasonable price, and a realistic timeline.

We started with a kick-off meeting, where I shared my planned design and approach for the iOS application. After they had a sufficient understanding of my expectations, we divided the project into sprints and scheduled scope meetings and demo sessions. The SteelKiwi team was responsible for implementing complex UI elements, animations, and screen transitions.

I worked with a team of three who handled our project management, development, and testing needs.

They completed the application, and we launched it on time. It was featured on the App Store and received more than 100 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 stars.

Transparency and communication are key to an efficient workflow, and SteelKiwi offered both. We had daily meetings via Skype and shared progress reports and documentation through Jira, Confluence, and Slack. They instantly answered my questions. I always felt like my project was in good hands.

SteelKiwi delivered on everything that they promised at the beginning of the project. They gained my trust, and I’m looking forward to working with them again in the future.

No, the final product wasn’t just good—it was excellent. That’s all we can ask for from developers.

Outsourced Development for IT Consulting Company

“I love their work.”

Aug. 2017 – Mar. 2018

SteelKiwi developed a Django-based web application that integrates Google Maps. They built the end-to-end system based on a prototype and incorporated the UX and UI requirements.

CEO, IT Company

SteelKiwi listened carefully and understood the scope clearly resulting in the delivery of the exact specifications desired, especially the UI and UX. Their strong Django expertise allowed them to create a flawlessly functional app that garnered positive feedback from the third-party recipient.

I’m the founder of an IT consulting company.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We were hired to create a product for an Indian-based market. We needed technical talent to implement the product.

I designed a map-based interface that allows users to search for land using Google Maps. I gave them the code design and the prototype. Based on the prototype, they built the end-to-end system. It’s a Django-based web app. They integrated the UX that I wanted into the app.

There was a team lead, two developers, one backend developer, and two designers.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I searched for companies that were good at Django. I found them through Upwork.

We spent between $10,000–$50,000.

We worked together from August 2017–March 2018.

They gave me exactly what I asked for. My clients who asked me for the app and other people that I’ve shown it to like it. Their work was great. The app works perfectly.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated through Slack, Skype, and Jira.

I love their work because they understood the requirements and provided the exact UI and UX I had in my mind. There were no hiccups, and they completed it in the time frame that I had in mind. It was good.

I definitely recommend them to people who have apps that they want to develop.

Web Development for Event Management Platform

"They understood the project and it was very clear what the objectives were with every meeting."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Steelkiwi built a website from scratch, handling both design and development work. They implemented data-tracking for both users and business offering services, which allows them track success.

Director, Events Company

The website has been completed and is being circulated to solicit feedback and potential partners. Steelkiwi worked quickly, making significant progress driven by their personnel decisions. Although their work sometimes required multiple iterations, their final deliverables were high-quality.

I’m the Founder and Director of an events company. Users can create an event, hire venues and additional services, and sell tickets, all on our platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Steelkiwi?

We had an idea of how we wanted the website to work, but, because we hadn't physically had a website before, we didn't know what features would or wouldn't work. That’s why we needed a company to actually create it for us.

We described our website to a sales manager and their them, and then they told us what they thought would or wouldn't work, and how they would go about creating it. We had our logo already created prior to getting the website made, but outside of that, they’ve done the rest of the design work for us.

We wanted it to be easy to give users as many different options as possible. So, if a user wanted to hire a venue, they could do that quite easily. If they already had a venue arranged somewhere else, they could post the location of the event and then hire additional services. Being flexible in creating the event was most important to us.

There are pages within the website where registered users track data themselves. If we had avid event creators, they could see all of the different events that they created and understand which ones were popular, which ones had the most guests, or how much money each one made. Likewise, businesses who list their venues or their services–whether it's catering companies, or security companies–would have a breakdown of all the statistics of when and how their business was used.

We initially talked with a sales manager, but then our team of seven or eight people was led by a project manager.

How did you come to work with Steelkiwi?

My business partner and I researched a number of different web companies. Initially, we approached Steelkiwi and were going to go with them, but then we spoke to another developer who we decided to go with. The other developer made us believe that they understood our idea more than Steel Kiwi initially did. We had meetings with the other developer, but when it came to actually starting the project, we realized that they didn't understand what we wanted. So, we went back to Steel Kiwi. We had a in-depth conversation with a sales manager and other people on the team and they really helped us understand that they knew what we wanted.

We’ve spent between $50,000–$60,000 so far.

We’ve been working together since August 2017.

Overall Score I can't think of any hiccups or any complaints. Most of it was great.
    Some of the features took a little bit longer than we wanted, but I guess that's on us not having experience about how long some of these things take to create.
    Whilst the workload was quite pricey, it was a big project, so I think it was good value for the money.
    Everything was excellent. I don’t have complaints with any of it.
    If anyone that I know needs a website developed or created, I'd definitely recommend Steel Kiwi.

iOS & Android Dev for Nightlife Heat-Map App

"They were extremely reactive in their sales process and listened to the challenge I had."

SteelKiwi designed and developed an app that shows venue popularity through the use of heat-map data. It includes filtering options to increase its user-friendliness. The project team also handled testing.

Paris, France
Yannig Le Bars
Founder, Le-Must

The app boasts a great design and a low cost per acquisition through the use of Facebook Ads. SteelKiwi was flexible with change requests and delayed payments, delivering quality outputs at a reasonable price. However, they could improve by reaching out proactively when something isn’t clear.

I’m the founder of a startup that’s developing a mobile app that uses heat-map data in order to display the attendance rate of different nightlife venues.

I’ve been working in this industry for a long time and am often asked about good places to go out. I always look on Google and check the live data on how many people are visiting different locales. Eventually, I came up with the idea of displaying the same type of attendance data but displayed on a heat-map so that everyone knows how popular a place is and its peak business hours.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed help with creating the app.

They developed my app for both iOS and Android platforms. I had designs created by an Upwork freelancer, but that person’s work was messy. SteelKiwi started out with redoing the designs while we gave them wireframes and a project backlog.

The core features of the app include a filter system. Because partying is different between cities, instead of having tens of global filters, we made it so that only the filters with at least one result behind them would be visible between different locations. It’s a flexible and adaptive system meant to make the app more user-friendly.

They provided a designer, an iOS developer, an Android developer, a backend developer, one or two testers, and a project manager.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

They were extremely reactive in their sales process and listened to the challenge I had. I was searching for a team that would truly understand the product and who would be likely to use the app themselves. I felt that SteelKiwi was the right team for the project. They had the spirit for it.

The cost of their work was $55,000, though this figure is not quite representative of the overall project since there always are several adjustments and smaller features that need to be addressed.

We started working with SteelKiwi in January 2018. The app has been available for about three months on iOS and one week on Android.

From my experience, I know that one version of an app should be finished before starting work on the other one, given that there will always be mistakes and change requirements after testing it on users. I didn’t want to correct everything twice, so I started on the Android version quite late in the project.

SteelKiwi has done very good work in terms of design. I’ve tested the app and have had very good results with Facebook Ads, attaining a cost per acquisition of only €0.20 ($0.24 USD) per new user, which is quite a good result but we’re working on making it better.

We’re currently in the process of launching a promotional campaign so that we can generate informative metrics for potential investors. I want to prove that the app can have good traction and a good retention rate, which isn’t all that good at the moment. I’d also like to implement a notification feature in the future so that people feel compelled to come back to the app.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

I was flexible in terms of deadlines, to begin with, and we mainly used Slack for communication. I know I was a bit annoying at times, given that I changed my mind a bit down the road.

I made few mistakes by being a bit too flexible. On their side, they should have been more clear with the exact features coming next, but I’m happy with SteelKiwi’s services. For the price, their performance was perfect. I know that had I made this application in France or England, it would’ve cost two to four times as much. They were also very flexible and continued the work even when I was late with payments.

There have been some small misunderstandings at times when they don’t get in touch when a feature requirement isn’t clear.

Also, I’ve entered a lot of data for the places on the map, such as the kind of music a locale has, what the dress code is, the price range, and so on. In order to test the data entry feature, one of their testers entered a lot of data to various places. The tester left the team, as well as his data on the main public server. I’ve asked them to clean it up, but they haven’t, which is quite annoying. It’s possible that I still have one or two places with weird information.

If they want to work with SteelKiwi, clients need to be as specific as possible, including drawing every detail themselves before asking for features. Their members are developers, not business people.

There have been some small bugs.
    I’m opening my own agency, so I don’t know if I will. I would recommend them otherwise.

Web Dev for Digital Content & Distribution Platform

"They are always forthcoming, coming up with good solutions for us to improve processes."

2017 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi is developing the MVP of a blockchain-powered collaboration platform using React.js and Solidarity. They are helping to create wireframes, plan and refine features, and launch the product.

Austria
Founder & CEO, Digital Content & Distribution Platform

The company has launched the product's landing page with great success. SteelKiwi delivers tasks on time, devises clever solutions to complex issues, and makes contact throughout the project to keep everyone updated. They have pared down their communication strategy to streamline the process.

My company is working on a collaboration platform powered by blockchain. It provides tools for managing projects, sharing tasks, and delivering notifications. The company was founded specifically to launch this platform, which we are planning to launch in the autumn of 2018. I am the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We’re based in Austria, and needed developers who were proficient in a specific area to address a development challenge. After reviewing several companies, it turned out that SteelKiwi was a good partner for us. They had adequate pricing and the specific attributes we required. It was a good choice for us to work with a company based in the U.S. and Ukraine.

We developed the platform concept locally and gave SteelKiwi a fleshed-out concept from which to start. They supported us in planning features and wireframing the platform. We planned the core features, but they helped us refine and augment them. The platform was built using React.js and the Solidity blockchain programming language.

Implementing the blockchain functionality was a particular challenge. The platform is blockchain-powered, so SteelKiwi has brought in some experts who are proficient in this technology. We've also brought some extra people on our side. Overall, the project has gone smoothly.

We’ve had some organizational challenges, but nothing technical we couldn’t solve. The challenges came from having a decentralized approach. The team from SteelKiwi is in one place, but we’ve brought in collaborators from the U.S. and Canada to work with us. Since developers didn't work from the same office, we had communication issues.

The size of the team has fluctuated. Including quality assurance (QA) resources, we’ve worked with up to 15 resources from SteelKiwi.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We prepared a short brief about the project, which was a retrospective of the weightier brief. The concept has huge innovation potential, so we didn’t want to send it to dozens of companies in its entirety. We received different responses from different providers. Some didn’t reply, while others just wrote an email.

SteelKiwi was quite eager to talk. We immediately organized a meeting with their sales agent, who was motivated to find out about the project. She prepared a convincing quote document that assessed the whole project, then based a detailed quote on what we sent them. This document—along with SteelKiwi's personal, communicative approach—was a big factor. Their price was also relatively competitive. They refunded the initial wireframing later, as a little bonus.

We started working with SteelKiwi in 2017. We have finished the minimum viable product (MVP), and are continuing to develop additional features. We are 65–70% complete.

So far, SteelKiwi has usually delivered on time. We recently launched the landing page of an initial coin offering (ICO) we’re performing, a side project advertising the platform. We’re very happy with the design and functionality of the platform. Creating the MVP was a huge milestone.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We’ve had some issues, but they have been resolved quickly. They mainly stem from us bringing in external people to work on our blockchain smart contracts. SteelKiwi has adapted to our situation quickly. Nothing is unsolvable, and nothing blocks the process.

We have a lot of Skype meetings, and we also use Slack. They use great tools that made it simpler for us to collaborate on the project. They are always forthcoming, coming up with good solutions for us to improve processes. They are always reachable, remaining in contact throughout the day through Slack and Skype. The collaboration works well. I wouldn’t give them a good review if I didn’t think they do a good job. They are helpful in every regard.

A common problem with many development studios is adopting too many communication channels, like email, Slack, and Skype. At one point, we had to dial down the number of channels we were using.

As the amount of information grew, the channels also grew exponentially. We’ve had to simplify communication a bit and remove some channels to make the information flow in a more structured way. We resolved it quickly. It wasn't a major gripe or a permanent, specific problem with SteelKiwi.

There were only some minor issues.

Web Dev for Personal Training Platform

“Their communication was very impressive, and they worked very well as a team.”

May 2017 - January 2018

SteelKiwi designed and built a custom e-commerce site using Django, Python, and Amazon Web Services. They also set up Google Analytics.

Sheradan, Wyoming
Kathryn Tracy
Founder, Yourlivingroomtrainer

The site is clean and well-designed, and meets all original requirements. Project management and communication were streamlined using Slack, Jira, Confluence, and Skype, and customer service was exceptional.

I’m the founder of a startup called Your Living-room Trainer. It’s basically an online gym with profiles for trainers and trainees, and the service matches compatible exercise preferences and processes payments for individual sessions.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed to design and build a site that would support the platform and all the features we were looking to include.

SteelKiwi created the site on Drupal, and handled all aspects of development including design, UX/UI, and backend work. We initially provided them with a series of sketches/ideas for the look and feel, but they took the lead on design execution. Throughout the project they used Django, Python, and Amazon Web Services for hosting. They also set us up on Google Analytics.

We primarily worked with Kristina Malik, who acted as our project manager. Yvette Mosiichuk lead UX development and the design process. I also worked with two developers on occasion.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I originally found them on Google. I interviewed quite a few other agencies, but none of them were a good fit.

We invested under $50,000 on the project.

We started working with them in May of 2017, and concluded in January of 2018.

The design of the product was very clean and well-done. It’s simple to use, and the user flow is great. We’re still waiting on user feedback, but we’re very happy with the end product and looking forward to seeing how it’s received.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

They were top notch; Kristina did an excellent job. She was communicative, organized, and attentive throughout the project. They were very responsive. We used a combination of Slack, Jira, Confluence, and Skype for communication and tracking progress.

Their communication was very impressive, and they worked very well as a team. Also, during the project, I had some personal issues due to Hurricane Irma, and they were very understanding and were willing to work around my schedule.

I was a bit nervous about the number of bugs that came up during the testing phase, but they fixed them efficiently at no extra charge. They could also be more communicative around pricing, because they’re charging more than their initial quote.

Advice for potential customers?

They’re an excellent company to work with, and the customer service is great. Be open and communicate with them. Make sure they know exactly what you’re looking for, and I’m 100% sure that they’ll do everything they can to make it happen.

Mobile App Dev for Children's Entertainment Platform

“The final product was delivered above expectations. ... the UI is great and functions completely without bugs.”

May 2017 - Nov 2017

SteelKiwi developed a parental-controlled entertainment app for iOS. They built a backend server and designed the app’s UI. Features include a media catalog, personalized screen time, and content playlists.

Yasha Adamovski
Founder, Jezter

The app has proven to be successful in beta testing by offering a useful service with intuitive design. Parents value the controllable screen time and request a greater breadth of content.

I’m the founder of Jezter, a parental-controlled children’s entertainment and education app.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed to outsource a company for mobile app development.

First, we discussed project specifications and negotiated a price. Then, we were assigned a project manager who laid out a timeline. They provided a beta version that we then had tested. Once that was complete, SteelKiwi resumed development. We received weekly builds and provided feedback until the product was complete.

Essentially, they developed an iOS app that aggregates kid-friendly online content like YouTube videos, web games, and comics. This included building a backend server that we upload content too, and designing the app’s final UI. The finished product features a catalog for users to easily discover content. Alternatively, parents can manage what their kids view by creating playlists and limiting screen time via in-app functions.

We worked with the account manager and project manager, but never interacted with the developers.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We found them and 5–6 other companies on Clutch. After interviewing all potential vendors, SteelKiwi was the most professional and had the best prices.

This project cost around $27,000.

The engagement took place May 2017­–November 2017.

We’ve had 200 beta testers, and 20–30 have sent positive reviews. Parents are impressed with how easily they can manage their child’s screen time.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated via Skype and email, while using Trello and Jira to assist with project management. They’d respond to questions within an hour, or at least communicate when they’d have an answer if the question was difficult. However, the 7–hour time-zone difference was challenging in terms of deadlines, but that’s the drawback of outsourcing overseas.

The final product was delivered above expectations. The UI is great and functions completely without bugs. We’re fully satisfied and plan to work with them on future developments.

The project manager’s English wasn’t perfect, and that sometimes caused miscommunication. However, the account manager is almost fluent in English, which is impressive.

SteelKiwi is great for startups with a fluid vision. They did a lot of research to help us decide where to take our product.

The only drawback was the time zone difference.
    The cost is not comparable to North America prices.
    Their design and development work is impressive.