Software development services with a high standard

We create astonishing web and mobile applications for small and medium businesses and startups. We work with the modern day frameworks which are focused on building quick-to-market, scalable and fault-tolerant applications.

We stick to agile methodologies and our customers are always involved in the process. It helps us make vital decisions in time and reduce additional costs. Our approach is based on development planning which provides a possibility to minimize risks and meet deadlines.

Our main goal is to develop a project which will reflect your idea and contain best solutions from our side.

We recommend to start from:

• Cost calculation
  • MVP creation
  • Iteration planning

We provide:

• Business analysis
  • UX strategy and functional requirements creation
  • UI design, product identity
  • Mobile (iOS and Android) and web development
  • Product support and iterative development

Our core expertise is:

• On-demand & delivery
  • Healthcare & Fitness
  • Education and E-learning
  • Travel and Leisure
  • Media & Entertainment
  • Retail and Distribution
  • Business Process Automation

If you are looking for a partner, but not only for developers, we definitely can help you.

Ready to talk?

• SteelKiwi Tel Aviv-Yafo 61999
    Israel
    +972 3 376-04-03

Snaapy - eCommerce platform for B2C sector

Snaapy helps clients connect with businesses which offer anything from car rentals to a haircut, to a babysitter for a couple of hours. Clients have the ability to make an appointment with the necessary service provider, choosing the time which suits them best. This mobile solution provides instant access to basic services and improves the overall management within enterprises.

Spotvice - Photo- and Location-Based Platform for Travel Suggestions

Spotvice is a social networking platform that allows users to share their favorite locations by pinning a picture of them to the map. The most important feature is that you get suggestions only from people you know and trust - your friends (the list of whom is based on data collected from Facebook).

Khabar - News Aggregator platform and native mobile applications

Khabar is a mobile app which gives you a possibility to subscribe to unbiased news sources like BBC, CNN, etc. and stay tuned for the most important events happening worldwide. Receive push notifications for breaking news, share the most exciting information on social networks and leave comments. Khabar helps you see any situation from different perspectives in order to let you make your own conclusions.

Jobmarch - Job and employee searching platform

JobMatch is a game changer for businesses and jobseekers who want to establish a prosperous collaboration. Bearing a resemblance to Tinder, JobMatch selects only those applicants who suit your professional needs, making the search fast and easy.

Possion - Universal GPS Tracking platform for portable property

Possio is a Swedish service which offers sensors, software and the very best GPS/GSM tracking solutions for vehicles and different assets. With the Possio Tracker app you can find out where your property is and secure it with the help of Possio Tracker device.

Nova-Vita clinic

Hang - party making messenger

Inkbulb - educational platform

Inkbulb - educational platform

Mobile App Dev for Children's Entertainment Platform

“The final product was delivered above expectations. ... the UI is great and functions completely without bugs.”

May 2017 - Nov 2017

SteelKiwi developed a parental-controlled entertainment app for iOS. They built a backend server and designed the app’s UI. Features include a media catalog, personalized screen time, and content playlists.

Yasha Adamovski
Founder, Jezter

The app has proven to be successful in beta testing by offering a useful service with intuitive design. Parents value the controllable screen time and request a greater breadth of content.

I’m the founder of Jezter, a parental-controlled children’s entertainment and education app.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed to outsource a company for mobile app development.

First, we discussed project specifications and negotiated a price. Then, we were assigned a project manager who laid out a timeline. They provided a beta version that we then had tested. Once that was complete, SteelKiwi resumed development. We received weekly builds and provided feedback until the product was complete.

Essentially, they developed an iOS app that aggregates kid-friendly online content like YouTube videos, web games, and comics. This included building a backend server that we upload content too, and designing the app’s final UI. The finished product features a catalog for users to easily discover content. Alternatively, parents can manage what their kids view by creating playlists and limiting screen time via in-app functions.

We worked with the account manager and project manager, but never interacted with the developers.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We found them and 5–6 other companies on Clutch. After interviewing all potential vendors, SteelKiwi was the most professional and had the best prices.

This project cost around $27,000.

The engagement took place May 2017­–November 2017.

We’ve had 200 beta testers, and 20–30 have sent positive reviews. Parents are impressed with how easily they can manage their child’s screen time.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated via Skype and email, while using Trello and Jira to assist with project management. They’d respond to questions within an hour, or at least communicate when they’d have an answer if the question was difficult. However, the 7–hour time-zone difference was challenging in terms of deadlines, but that’s the drawback of outsourcing overseas.

The final product was delivered above expectations. The UI is great and functions completely without bugs. We’re fully satisfied and plan to work with them on future developments.

The project manager’s English wasn’t perfect, and that sometimes caused miscommunication. However, the account manager is almost fluent in English, which is impressive.

SteelKiwi is great for startups with a fluid vision. They did a lot of research to help us decide where to take our product.

The only drawback was the time zone difference.
    The cost is not comparable to North America prices.
    Their design and development work is impressive.

Mobile App Dev for Social Media Hashtag Platform

“They did everything exactly the way we wanted.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Steelkiwi developed an app for iOS and Android. Their services are comprehensive to include everything from creating the illustrations and the logo to putting the app on the App Store.

Mary Boyagi
Founder, Hashtag Hound

Although their delivery time was faster than anticipated which caused a few problems, they impressed with their supportive understanding and accurate development of the app. Steelkiwi's strengths of superior organizational skills and excellent problem solving make them a reliable partner.

I'm the founder of Hashtag Hound, an app that helps find hashtags for Instagram.

What challenge were you trying to address with Steelkiwi?

We needed to find someone who could develop an app they haven’t done before. A lot of companies just want to do something they've done in the past. No one could guarantee us that the algorithm we wanted to build will actually work. Steelwiki was the first company that said they could definitely do it.

They worked on everything involving the app. They built it for iOS and Android. They built the user interface. They drew illustrations for use inside the app and created the icons and logo designs.

The user logs in and sees categories that they can choose from that relate to their photo. They can choose the date, location, and language, and the app provides the user with a list of the best hashtags that are suitable for their photo. The user will be able to get the relevant audience that will see the photo. The app isn't on the App Store yet, but it's almost done. We are testing it now.

There were 2 developers on each platform. We had meetings with the whole team working on the project whenever it was necessary, but I dealt mostly with the team leader.

How did you come to work with Steelkiwi?

I was browsing websites and portfolios of different companies. Steelkiwi attracted my attention because of the designs of their apps. I felt like it was suitable for our purposes. At the initial meeting, I saw how involved and passionate they are. They understood me straight away, and they seemed genuinely interested in developing my app.

We've spent around $40,000 with them.

We've been working with them since April 2017. We're testing this particular build of our app. Once we get feedback from the users, we'll look at it together, fix the app, and then launch it on the App Store. They'll provide the support afterward.

The feedback has been positive so far. For people who haven't had help with finding hashtags for Instagram, they're happy and excited. People who are using other services or apps have concerns that it doesn't work the same way as other apps, but they're happy with the design, and they like the interface. The main complaint is that the selection process for the hashtags is not as fast. We might change the technical selection process.

How did Steelkiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

They were incredibly reliable. I have no complaints whatsoever. They worked so fast that I didn't expect the project to finish this soon. That created a few problems for me in terms of management, because we weren't prepared to launch in terms of marketing. I wish there was more communication on that part, but their general strategy in terms of project management is to over deliver as opposed to under deliver. When it comes to time, it's not always convenient for a client to have the project ready sooner rather than later, but that's my issue.

We used Slack to communicate. We could also see all the details of the process on JIRA. I met them in person at the beginning, but because we're in different countries, we communicate online.

They're very organized. Every issue that came up was solved straight away. The level of planning that goes into every task was ridiculous at times. We sat down and they explained every detail in the process. Eventually, we had to simplify that because it was too much for me. That impressed me; their style is very linear.

The way their developers work together with UX designers is very efficient; I'm glad I didn't go with my own UX designer. It was perfect. It happened so quickly. They did everything exactly the way we wanted.

Their timing could be improved, which also impacts financing. If you're not sure when they're going to finish the project and how quickly they're going to work on it, then you're not sure how much you have to pay them every month. Their initial quote was correct, but it was a hard to put together the finances necessary for this project as quickly as they were developing it because I expected it to last longer. They finished it 4–5 months earlier than I expected.

They delivered the project a little too quickly.
    I've recommended them in the past.

Site Modernization & API Dev for Computer Software Startup

"The communication with [them] has been quick and easy."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi created an API and redeveloped the backend framework of an existing web solution. The project team remains focused on feature enrichment as the launch deadline approaches.

Denver, Colorado
Co-Founder, Software Startup

Robust project management and a reliable quality assurance process ensured the solution achieved all technical requirements. SteelKiwi's reasonable cost structure and flexible workflow are also notable strengths.

I’m one of three founders of a startup company that does business and location intelligence. We have a web application that looks at worldwide demographics.

What challenges were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

SteelKiwi redeveloped an app for us.

SteelKiwi helped create an API and the framework for the backend of our application. We already had a functioning version of the app written in ASP.NET, so we had SteelKiwi redevelop and modernize everything for us.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We had used SteelKiwi before to develop a webpage while we were doing work with a humanitarian aid company. We wanted to hire stateside for this project, so we probably looked at three different companies stateside. We also looked at individual developers, but we decided to go with SteelKiwi. We had the previous experience with them, and they had done good work for us before. Cost also was a consideration.

How much have you invested with SteelKiwi?

We’ve probably spent a little over $20,000 with SteelKiwi.

We’re still working with the humanitarian aid company, so we have an ongoing relationship with SteelKiwi. I think we originally started working with them a little less than a year ago. We started on this specific project probably 3–4 months ago, so around January of 2017. We’re not quite finished with the project yet. They’re wrapping up a few things for us on the backend, and we’re considering some additional functionalities.

The communication with SteelKiwi has been good and easy. They use a bunch of different platforms, including Slack and JIRA. They’ve also been accommodating in terms of the time zones. We’re in Colorado, so we had a time difference, but they’re pretty good at dealing with that.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

Not including the project manager, I would say five developers from SteelKiwi worked on our project. That includes the quality assurance person. We basically let them assemble the team that would work with us, but we used some of the same members we’d used on our previous project.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

We were really happy with what SteelKiwi did for us. We didn't get too much into how they conducted their business. I guess they do have a live video feed where you can see them working. I thought that was interesting. We didn't really dive into how they operated, though. We let them do their work.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

One difficult area has been in terms of billing. We’ve had a little bit of confusion in trying to get the billing correct or fully clarified.

Overall Score We definitely will consider SteelKiwi if we do any backend development in the future.

iOS Prototype Dev for App Startup

"They are very detail-oriented. They push your limits."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi first validated design specs and then prototyped the first iOS version of a travel app. Core features include account creation using social media, geo-pinning, and image sharing.

Italy
Milena Cetkovic
Founder, AppLab

Assigned resources contributed expert guidance resulting in meaningful product enhancements previously unconsidered. The project team is driven and detail-oriented but has difficulty sharing relevant updates in terms comprehensible to laypeople.

My business is AppLab. I’m creating a travel app for friends. It’s similar to TripAdvisor and Foursquare, but mixed with Instagram.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

I wasn't into apps in general. It's not my main job; it's just a hobby for now. I just had an idea that I thought it would be great to create something because the app that I had in mind doesn't exist. Every time that I was traveling, I would look at TripAdvisor reviews, and I always made mistakes because the people who review different hotels, restaurants, etc. are not my friends, and don't have the same taste as I do. I was also reviewing existing apps, such as Foursquare, which I found very difficult to use. I wanted to develop something more personal and only for friends.

My app is very simple. It's based only on images for now. I think an image speaks 1,000 words, and there’s no need for detailed reviews. If I see my friend visited that restaurant when he was in New York, I know his taste and I know it's a good place to try out.

The main feature is image upload. The profile is done through Facebook. So when you sign in, you sign into Facebook. Another feature were map pins, which are very important. If you're trying to see the places your friends have visited, you login to the map and you would see all those places. You can also find a direction to each place.

They helped me with the requirements for the app. It's not something I did by myself. I had a clear idea of what I wanted, but since development is not something that I do, I wasn't sure I would be capable of translating what I had in mind to the actual app. They helped me a lot because they understood right away what I was looking for.

I had a project manager, a designer, and two other members on the project. I was always in communication with the project manager. She handled everything, and I had to meet a few times with the designer. I didn’t interact much with the developers. We had two to three calls to resolve small issues, but I assume five developers were working on the app. It was really the designer and the project manager that I was in contact with.

The app is still being tested because of a few issues that I noticed. While we were developing the app, everything was done well. Issues that we are having now can be fixed once the testing is done.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I went to Upwork and posted there what I was looking for. Before I decided on SteelKiwi, I was in contact with five developers at the time. There was one in India, but it was really hard because of the time difference. I was looking for someone that's closer to where I'm at in Italy. Then I had another company from Moscow.

However, SteelKiwi was local, and they offered a better price. I wasn't even considering the other companies. One did a quote that was triple from what it should have been. I think the Indian company was a great company, but the time difference would be an issue.

SteelKiwi were just better than anyone. They just convinced me, and Kate was really helpful. My first gut instinct was to hire them because I really had a good feeling after my first interview with them. There was just no question that I would choose them.

The total was $16,000.

We started in November 2016 with wireframes. I was delaying the entire process for a month or two, because in Italy it's better if you have your own company if you're doing something like this. Bureaucratic things in Italy are so long, so I'm still waiting to have my company set up. It's something that will happen in the next few weeks or so. For that reason, I couldn't move forward faster because all the invoices need to go through the company, and if you don't have the company you can't put all the expenses on the company. I'm sure we would have finished everything at least two months earlier if it wasn't for those bureaucratic parts that I had to deal with.

The app is live. I'm testing it with a few of my friends because it has my first and last name underneath because I don't have the company yet. I'm just waiting for that to happen. I can't go live with my name because to be honest, it looks weird. It's live for users, but I haven't started with marketing or any initiatives that were supposed to happen after the launch. I'm just waiting for that to be determined.

Every time I have to travel, I always have those long emails of places. For example, I'm traveling to Abu Dhabi tomorrow. I had a friend who was there a week ago, and he sent me a huge email with places I have to visit, but I think that will be easier to have that through my app. Then you can check the images and details, so it's definitely something that will be more useful for users and me. Based on this idea, I think it will have a positive reaction.

Of the three users using it right now (my husband and best friends), the reception has been positive. It's still in the beginning, but I think it's something that can be developed into something bigger since my initial idea was an app that was more complex than this one. I have to say SteelKiwi were pretty honest, saying it's better to start with small, and then if you see a positive reaction from users, we can definitely build it up to be what I had in mind in the beginning.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

It was really good. I don't know about other project managers, but mine was really perfect. She was available 24 hours a day even though I wasn’t. I never had an issue in communications with them. We used Google Docs, Skype for conference calls, and email.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

They are very detail-oriented. They push your limits, saying "You have to think about this, and you have to get back to me tomorrow." They're really pushy but in a good way. They're trying to make you think more than you have time to do.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

I spoke to them about it. I think the only thing to improve is their invoicing. Every time they would send an invoice, I would have a list of what has been done that week or month. Since I'm not a developer, I don't know anything about apps, so it wasn't really clear to me. Every time I had to go back and talk to them about it. They were completely transparent, and I don't think there was an issue there. In terms of the description of the invoice and what has been done, they also agreed that that should have been more clear for someone who’s not a developer, or someone who doesn't understand those terms.

I think it could be less expensive.
    Definitely. I already have someone for them.

iOS Prototype Dev for Photography Business

"[The] original project with them was smooth, well-produced and came out exactly how we wanted."

July 2016 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi built an app meant to curate and assess professional photography. They prototyped the iOS version first and remain focused on its improvement before they develop the Android counterpart.

San Diego, California
Founder & CEO, Media Statup

The project team outlined the complete process in detail and before obeyed it religiously. Although time zone differences make communication more challenging, SteelKiwi is always attentive and engaged. Their technical expertise is not to be underestimated.

I’m the founder of a photography organization that has produced an app and website that are virtual extensions of what we’ve being doing locally for several years. The app and website allow photographers and photography enthusiasts to have their work assessed and curated by photography experts. Photographers can also display their work publicly and participate in a series of photographic competitions we’re running. We’ve been doing this through physical shows in San Diego for quite a long time, but now we’re building the app and website to expand this into a virtual realm. It provides many more shows and opportunities for exposure and cash rewards for a much larger number of photo enthusiasts.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We hired SteelKiwi to build an app for our organization.

When we went to SteelKiwi, we didn't have a functional version of the app, but we did have a visual document and some requirements that we kind of knew we needed. At first, they built a simple version of the app for us, which is in the App Store right now. Our main goal is to have a more involved version that will allow the users to interact with their own profiles, display their work, and participate in the competitions we’ll be running. We’re in the process of building a more complex version of the app now. We’re starting with iOS versions, but we hope to expand and build an Android version soon. SteelKiwi covers all those bases.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I was originally referred to SteelKiwi by someone who had a positive experience working with them. When looking for a company to work with, I originally met with a couple of local companies in San Diego that are focused on building apps, and I briefly looked online at other non-local companies, either outside of San Diego or outside of the country. I think the local companies could have done the job, but they were much more expensive. When you're running a startup or building a new company from scratch with limited capital, it’s helpful to work with companies that are going to be more affordable. That was definitely the case with SteelKiwi. They gave us an affordable and reasonable quote.

We got started working together last summer on the more complex version of the app, and I think half of it has been built. We’ve had delays on our side in getting enough capital to continue and finish the product. We expect that to happen in the next couple of months. SteelKiwi’s pace and speed is good, productive, and satisfactory.

My experience working with SteelKiwi has been good. Our original project with them was smooth, well-produced and came out exactly how we wanted. Even this bigger product has gone well and as expected. They’re a good team of talented, knowledgeable, current, cutting-edge technology experts in the field of creating apps and websites.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

I've had access to everybody at SteelKiwi. It’s a good working relationship, and I feel supported by the full team there. I feel like I can talk to anybody, including the owners, about any sort of issues. We work with around five or six people at SteelKiwi on an ongoing basis. I deal with a direct representative almost daily. I've had contact with their main customer support person, and even one of the founders of the company.

The production process has seemed logical and understandable. I provided them a detailed scope document, complete mockups of every screen, etc. They came back to me with a comprehensive, multi-sheet Excel document that listed all of the different production components and time, in terms of hours, that they projected would be required to complete everything. They then translated that into the actual pricing for each of those different components to provide a bottom line total. I also asked for timelines to kind of map out how we would progress through the process, and they provided those exactly as I requested. Everything has gone exactly as they projected it would.

We use Atlassian, Skype, and email to keep in touch. (They introduced us to Atlassian.) SteelKiwi is on the other side of the world, but by using Skype, everything has worked out really well. We use it on a weekly basis, if not more frequently.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

There’s nothing I would criticize SteelKiwi for. Everything has been smooth.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with SteelKiwi?

For customers working a standard 9 to 5 shift, the different time zones could be a little bit of an issue. For instance, if I want to talk to SteelKiwi directly, it means I have to call them at about 8:30 a.m. or 11:30 p.m., and I have to set aside a block of time to chat with them. It works fine for me because as an entrepreneur, I’m kind of used to having a non-traditional work schedule.

Overall Score I’ve had a really positive experience working with SteelKiwi.
    It’s hard to quantify SteelKiwi’s value. Maybe there are people out there who charge less, but I think they’re extremely reasonable and fairly priced in terms of what they’ve been charging us. They’ve kept to the budget that we originally projected.
    Everything SteelKiwi built for us has looked and functioned exactly how we wanted.
    I would absolutely recommend SteelKiwi, and I've already done so.

Developed iOS Prototype for B2C Startup

"We appreciated [their] responsiveness."

Sept. 2016 - Jan. 2017

Steelkiwi prototyped a B2C marketplace for iOS devices. The project team used existing wireframes to build the functional version and their performance could result in further involvement.

Geneva, Switzerland
Co-Founder, App Startup

Access to a wide variety of talent is a key strength and responsiveness is rarely a concern. While versatility proved invaluable, SteelKiwi was unable to deliver a viable solution by the specified deadline.

We are an early stage startup developing a B2C concept for connecting service providers with clients looking for those services. This is a very broad stroke of our online business idea. I’m a co-founder of the startup, along with my business partner.

What challenge were you trying to address with Steelkiwi?

We were at the stage of searching for an agency to help us create a prototype that could be tested on the market with customers. We needed a wireframe and design, and we wanted someone to put them together into a functional product.

Steelkiwi produced an iOS prototype for us, handling wireframing, design and development. We had them implement separate interfaces for supplier accounts as opposed to basic customer ones.

We mainly interacted with Steelkiwi's project manager and UX designer. There were also three resources with whom we didn't talk; they were in charge of designs, our logo, and the coding itself. In the very beginning, we were also in touch with Steelkiwi's principal when signing the contract.

How did you come to work with Steelkiwi?

I am originally from Ukraine, so this was one of the markets I researched. Based on references and cost, we chose Steelkiwi.

We started working with Steelkiwi at the end of September 2016. The prototype was delivered at the end of January 2017. After we've tested it, we will begin looking for a technical team to take it further. Steelkiwi will be one of the agencies on our list.

Because the product is a prototype and not a fully functional app, we have only used it for checking the validity of our idea. In terms of the functionality of what was delivered, the feedback was clear that our user-flow needs to be simplified. The design itself was perceived positively.

How did Steelkiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We appreciated Steelkiwi's responsiveness. The feedback and requests we shared with them were responded to quickly. Whenever we needed to have an additional call, Steelkiwi was proactive in connecting with us.

Are there any areas Steelkiwi could improve?

Overall, we really enjoyed the level of collaboration.

The cost provided by Steelkiwi was great in comparison to other quotations, but it did take us more time than anticipated to complete the project.
    I’m not a technical person. We only developed a prototype, not a fully functioning app, so the bug count wasn't important.

Django & AngularJS Development for Consultancy

"We are entirely satisfied that every piece of work we’ve asked them to do for us, they [SteelKiwi] ... have met or exceeded our expectations."

2015 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi integrated with a 10-15 person in-house programming team to develop various websites and products. They were initially tapped for their Django CMS experience but also provide AngularJS support.

Kenya
Roger Hunwicks
CIO, Kimetrica

The client is very satisfied with the pricing and notes SteelKiwi's willingness to fold into the in-house team's project management style and software development methodologies as exceptional.

Kimetrica is a consultancy firm that provides decision support services to companies or organizations largely working in the social sector like NGOs [Non Governmental Organizations] and bilateral aid agencies. I’m the Chief Information Officer.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We do software development in-house. We use Django, which is a web development framework. Sometimes we have a client that we don’t have quite the right skill set for, so we have resource constraints. At other times we don’t have programmers available to work on things at a particular time, and we use SteelKiwi in both of those situations. When we don’t have resources available, we contract it out to SteelKiwi.

My internal team is 10 to 15 programmers plus 5 other IT staff. We use SteelKiwi by and large for Django development and sometimes for AngularJS development. We have worked with the same people on multiple projects. We talk to their sales manager. When we start a new project or a new piece of work, she gives us a project manager to start with. Sometimes that’s somebody we have worked with before. It depends on the availability on their end. Then once we start a conversation with the project manager about what our requirements are, they then put together a team on their end that has the skills to meet those needs.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We originally found them on an outsourcing website called Elance. The original requirement was for a Django software development, to do a Django content management system implementation. We looked for people on Elance that had that specific experience on Django CMS and had good reviews. Then we interviewed three or four of them, and we picked SteelKiwi.

How much have you invested with SteelKiwi?

We have invested between $20,000 and $30,000.

We started working with them one to two years ago. We are still working with them.

They’ve done many things for us. The first thing they did was implement our website using Django CMS. That was the initial piece of work we asked them to do. We’d had a design done by an external branding consultant. They were the technology implementer, and we wanted somebody with Django CMS to translate that design into a working website. They did that very successfully. The communication was generally very good. Our communications team internally talks directly to their project management team in terms of deciding what requests and alterations need to get done. They’re very good at talking to the business team and understanding what is required. That was the first thing we did. That was very successful. We still give them pieces of work where we need to make a change to the website, and we have no familiarity with the back-end technology.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

I think internally they use JIRA to do their project management and their timekeeping. We use a tool called Redmine for our internal software development, and one of the things that has been a very big win for us is that SteelKiwi has been very willing to and very successful at adopting our project management procedure. They were happy to accept work and requirement documentation and those sorts of things allocated to them through our project management software, Redmine. That means that I can split work easily across SteelKiwi and our internal software development team where we have work going on and a mix of skills.

For example, at the moment we are building a single-page JavaScript application which acts as a visualization for a data warehouse. The APIs [application programming interface] that are being used to access that data will all be written by my internal team, and SteelKiwi is doing the AngularJS front-end for us. We have tasks being assigned within that project, some of them to SteelKiwi and some of them to my internal software developers, and both sides are using the same project management tools to review the work and track who’s doing what. Beyond Redmine, there’s the version control system. We use a software control system called GitLab, and once again they are committing directly to our GitLab and integrate it into our software review process. That’s been very successful with them in a way that it hasn’t always been with other subcontractors that we’ve worked with. They’ve tended to want to do it on their platform or not at all. SteelKiwi has been very successful at adopting our processes and our programming service.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

I think their client communication is really good. For every piece of work, there’s always repeating in the chain. There’s the initial contact with the sales manager, and then for every project, we are assigned a project manager. Their project manager basically makes sure that the work is going on and satisfied properly, deals with any holdup, and acts as the client’s point of contact to make sure that the client is happy.  However, many technical resources are required to implement whatever it is that we’re asking. The communication from those project managers in terms of keeping everybody on the same page and up to date is really good.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

No, to be honest, I am delighted with their work.

Overall Score We are entirely satisfied that every piece of work we’ve asked them to do for us, they have done it on time, on budget, and have met or exceeded our expectations.
    They have always met the deadlines that we have agreed mutually. Sometimes they are not ready to start a project immediately, so in order to put that team together, they suggest we can start that project in two weeks. After that, they are always on time.
    I think their costs are low and their value is very high.
    All the work that they’ve done for us has been delivered on time and budget. The quality of their code is very good. When we’ve asked for changes to work that they’ve done to fit our standards and preferred approaches, they’ve willingly accommodated us.
    We would happily recommend them to anybody who isn’t a direct competitor.

Multiple Dev Projects for Civil Engineering Firm

"It's neat to find a team that can adapt so well to a variety of business requirements."

Apr. 2015 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi was hired to develop a web-based delegate training solution for renewable energy standards and their performance led to ongoing dev/design work.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Solutions Architect, Engineering Firm

Key strengths include a clear commitment to code quality and versatility in the face of changing business requirements.

We're a global engineering consultancy working on a wide variety of projects. We’ve built railways, designed buildings, and conducted ecological surveys on animal habitats. I am a part of the UK consulting team that provides digital solutions to clients.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

One of our clients was looking for a platform to manage the training of their delegates on internal standards. We've done work previously in the renewable industry and were asked to help out. We enlisted SteelKiwi to assist with the development of the platform itself, primarily because they do a good job of custom coding. Also, it wasn't our core business so it was necessary to partner with someone who could successfully build the solution.

SteelKiwi developed a solution that allows delegates to register, obtain a profile on the site, and view a history of their training. Employers can search for delegates on the site, verify that their training is up-to-date, and that they're compliant. Training providers can issue paperless accreditation to delegates throughout the world. We provided requirements for the functional and static aspects of the system. These included wireframe sketches of the user interface along with what elements were needed on specific pages. SteelKiwi designed visual collateral on top of this as well as the actual implementation of the system itself.

SteelKiwi worked on another project in the UK. They assisted with an internal application for managing traffic surveys. People were out on the road counting vehicles, classifying them, and collating the results. The information was used over time to form trends and determine where certain roads needed to be built. The work was done for another client. It was intended to replace a heavily manual process that involved an amalgam of spreadsheets. Our solutions were based on the Django Python framework, using MySQL as the database back-end, integrations into Amazon Web Services S3 for file storage, and SES for email delivery. The technologies were based on our requirements.

SteelKiwi provided between 8–10 resources for our project. We worked with a project manager, QA people, 2–3 developers, and a designer. We've worked with SteelKiwi on similar projects using similar teams. We didn't choose our team specifically, but it was successful in the past.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi

We posted a request on Upwork. After advertising our high-level requirements, we vetted the replies and found SteelKiwi to be one of the most qualified firms. SteelKiwi proved to be a good fit for the job. We initially transacted through that website but have come to have a direct relationship subsequently. Upwork is not the best website to use.

How much have you invested with SteelKiwi?

The total cost of their services has been between $25,000 and $30,000. [20,000 to 25,000 GBP]

We started working with SteelKiwi at the middle of 2015. We have some ongoing projects with SteelKiwi as well as others which are in the pipeline.

SteelKiwi has provided a professional service from top to bottom. They are excellent in terms of quality, software engineering, and following requirements through to delivery. The team has been responsive, helpful, and quick to resolve any issues that we encountered. They have been able to adapt to all the new technologies and environments which we’ve requested thus far.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

Project management has been straightforward. We communicate with one contact on SteelKiwi's end. Every week or fortnight, we have a show-and-tell-style review of the content being worked on. Jira is SteelKiwi's primary tool for tracking tasks and everything else. They use it extensively on an internal basis, but we haven't used it as much. Everything we needed was provided by email and other communications. During the project development life cycle, SteelKiwi has remained on time and kept us up-to-date with what was happening. The only lack in responsiveness came after the project was completed, in the bug fixing phase. This is to be expected.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

It's neat to find a team that can adapt so well to a variety of business requirements and have the level of consistent quality offered by SteelKiwi. Plus, they deliver results within budget and on time. We've looked for this elsewhere in the market. Usually, developers are able to deliver within the right price, quality, or time. It's rare to find all 3 at once.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

Nothing springs to mind at the moment. We've had the usual bug fix cycle, but this is normal.

Overall Score Everything lined up and we have no complaints.
    SteelKiwi has been good in terms of timelines. Whenever there's been a tight schedule, we were able to turn projects around quickly.
    Given the degree of quality which we've gotten from SteelKiwi, we'd expect to pay more and receive less from other providers. SteelKiwi provides a competitive rate, relative to the marketplace.
    We've had no issues at all with the quality of service.
    I wouldn't recommend SteelKiwi to our competitors because we'd like to hang on to them.

Web Development for Consumer App Startup

"[They] did everything they were supposed to do. It seems like that should be true for everyone, but it isn't."

Mar. 2016 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi began by implementing new payment processing features into an existing Django-based site and their involvement now also includes design efforts.

Atlanta, Georgia
Founder

Key strengths include communication skills, exceptional knowledge of Python/Django, and a personable approach to client relationship management.

The company that I collaborated with developed a social networking site aimed at filmmakers. It had numerous features like payment gateways. I was the project manager in charge of hiring an outsourced developer.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We wanted to improve the site by adding Skype, PayPal, and email integrations. It wasn't possible for us to do it alone since we don't have those technical skills. Thus it became necessary to partner with another company.

SteelKiwi played a part in every aspect of the project, but their main contribution was in the back-end development. I was partly in charge of the front-end design, but SteelKiwi made a lot of tweaks in order to make the site mobile-responsive. The site had been built using Python and Django so it was necessary to have a working understanding of the language, its strengths, and limitations.

How much have you invested with SteelKiwi ?

The total cost of SteelKiwi's development services was around $17,000.

We started working with SteelKiwi in the spring of 2016. The project duration was more than 2 months.

Before using SteelKiwi, I had worked with many outsourced teams in various countries. In comparison, SteelKiwi was very pleasant to work with. Everything was very smooth and they communicated well.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

I know that there were more than two developers assigned to the project, but I only kept in touch with SteelKiwi's project manager. Everything was delivered on time and all the major milestones were reached. SteelKiwi communicated clearly whenever we encountered any issues. We used GitHub for our collaboration and SteelKiwi also had an internal project management system. I also received updates on the number of hours spent on each task, which I appreciated.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

I was impressed by our collaboration. SteelKiwi did everything that they were supposed to do. It seems that this should be true for everyone, but it isn't. With groups from Ukraine and India, there will always be complications. SteelKiwi was my favorite team to work with in a remote capacity.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

Not that I can recall. I had a pleasant time working with SteelKiwi. There was no language barrier, and SteelKiwi was always straight with me when I had unrealistic expectations.

Any clients should allow some time for understanding how SteelKiwi's system works. If they try to implement their own processes from the start, things may start to get muddy. When we first started working together, I imposed my own way of keeping things together. SteelKiwi was fine with this. After finding that SteelKiwi was already very organized, I was eventually able to scale it back a lot over time.

SteelKiwi's team weren't Supermen and there were unexpected problems.
    SteelKiwi was very reasonable in terms of cost. They're very skilled at what they do.
    I hesitate to give a perfect rating to anyone, but I can't recall any issues that I found with SteelKiwi.
    I would gladly recommend SteelKiwi.

Web Development for Healthcare Tech Firm

"SteelKiwi's project management team has a good command of English, which I appreciated as an international client."

This project involved full-stack development using an array of technologies: Python/Django, HTML5, CSS, backbone.js/knockout.js.

Amsterdam Area, Netherlands
Nova Vita BV

Noteworthy highlights include exceptional command of English, well-organized project management, and a commitment to stable code.

We're an international IT company focusing on pharmaceutical, healthcare, and lifestyle areas. I work in the marketing department.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We were approached by a relatively small healthcare center in the Netherlands. They needed a development partner who could help them build a website as well as mobile applications.

SteelKiwi built our software using Django Python as a backend. The front-end was built using HTML, CSS, and either Backbone.js or Knockout.js. The client didn't have particular requirements in this regard. We've worked with 1 project manager from SteelKiwi as well as one designer, a front-end developer, and 2 back-end developers. SteelKiwi also provided QA services.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I browsed the top companies on clutch.co. The main ones were based in the US and Canada and were priced accordingly. Our client discarded those options due to budget constraints. I also looked at an Indian company with some Drupal experience whose prices were mid-range compared to other companies. I chose to look at Eastern European developers, not because Indian ones are less qualified, but because of the language barrier. SteelKiwi approached us about becoming our development partner. I talked to their sales manager. We drafted a proposal, signed a contract, and got the budget details out of the way.

Our work has been completed. I may use SteelKiwi for future projects.

SteelKiwi has done a great job with our site. As always, we identified a few bugs, but SteelKiwi resolved them.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

Even though there is a time difference between our locations, SteelKiwi has been online whenever we needed them for status updates. We used Slack for communication, where we had channels for developers and project management. Jira was used for task management, for both front-end and back-end progress. SteelKiwi attached designs to the platform so that I could see and approve them.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

SteelKiwi's project management team has a good command of English, which I appreciated as an international client. SteelKiwi also had good pricing, but this isn't something unique to them. I appreciated the quality of code provided by SteelKiwi. I was also impressed by how smooth the process of working with SteelKiwi's project manager and sales team was.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

SteelKiwi's team was a bit too persistent in asking qualifying questions, which weren't even necessary at times. Gathering specifications took more time than we would have wanted. SteelKiwi nitpicked too much, and I didn't have that much time to dedicate to them. In the future, SteelKiwi should ask the client how they want to approach the project. This is my only negative comment about SteelKiwi.

Overall Score I wouldn't want to give SteelKiwi a perfect rating because there's always room for improvement.
    SteelKiwi provided very good value.