Software development services with a high standard

Bronze

We create astonishing web and mobile applications using the modern day frameworks which are focused on building quick-to-market, scalable and fault-tolerant applications.

Our customers get:

1. Proof of concept
  2. MVP
  3. Ongoing development
  4. Technology partnership for existing business

Our main goal is to develop a project which will reflect your idea and contain the best solutions from our side.

Services we provide:

• Business analysis
  • UX strategy and functional requirements creation
  • UI design, product identity
  • Mobile (iOS and Android) development
  • Bespoke web development
  • Product support and iterative development

Some of the industries we serve:

• Medical software development
  • Booking and scheduling solutions
  • Recruitment software
  • GPS-based solutions
  • Business Process Automation

Drop us a line to email [email protected]!

Odessa, Ukraine

Snaapy - eCommerce platform for B2C sector Image

Snaapy - eCommerce platform for B2C sector

Snaapy helps clients connect with businesses which offer anything from car rentals to a haircut, to a babysitter for a couple of hours. Clients have the ability to make an appointment with the necessary service provider, choosing the time which suits them best. This mobile solution provides instant access to basic services and improves the overall management within enterprises.

Spotvice - Photo- and Location-Based Platform for Travel Suggestions  Image

Spotvice - Photo- and Location-Based Platform for Travel Suggestions

Spotvice is a social networking platform that allows users to share their favorite locations by pinning a picture of them to the map. The most important feature is that you get suggestions only from people you know and trust - your friends (the list of whom is based on data collected from Facebook).

Khabar - News Aggregator platform and native mobile applications Image

Khabar - News Aggregator platform and native mobile applications

Khabar is a mobile app which gives you a possibility to subscribe to unbiased news sources like BBC, CNN, etc. and stay tuned for the most important events happening worldwide. Receive push notifications for breaking news, share the most exciting information on social networks and leave comments. Khabar helps you see any situation from different perspectives in order to let you make your own conclusions.

Jobmarch - Job and employee searching platform Image

Jobmarch - Job and employee searching platform

JobMatch is a game changer for businesses and jobseekers who want to establish a prosperous collaboration. Bearing a resemblance to Tinder, JobMatch selects only those applicants who suit your professional needs, making the search fast and easy.

Possion - Universal GPS Tracking platform for portable property Image

Possion - Universal GPS Tracking platform for portable property

Possio is a Swedish service which offers sensors, software and the very best GPS/GSM tracking solutions for vehicles and different assets. With the Possio Tracker app you can find out where your property is and secure it with the help of Possio Tracker device.

Nova-Vita clinic Image

Inkbulb - educational platform Image

Inkbulb - educational platform

Inkbulb - educational platform

Web Dev and Design for E-Learning Platform

"Overall, they were very organized and had good project managers and backend developers."

July 2018 – Ongoing

SteelKiwi designed and developed an e-learning platform in several iterations. They built the site in Django and React, building all pages and incorporating the brand image into each.

Singapore
CEO & Founder, YoTutors

The team succeeded in delivering a clean, sophisticated, and intuitive platform. Their consistent and reliable guidance enabled them to positively impact the business further. While the timeline was adjusted to accommodate structural complications, they persevered through effective communication.

I’m the owner of YoTutors, which aims to connect tutors with students. We offer one-to-one lessons and online courses on more than 160 subjects. The company is registered in Singapore.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed help designing and developing our platform.

The platform was built from scratch by SteelKiwi, both design and development. We started with the design and iteration, followed by the development, SteelKiwi selected the best tech stack for YoTutors (Python, Django and React).

Some core features like users' dashboards, ability to create online courses, ratings/reviews system and ability to process bookings according to the timezone. Integration with PayPal payment solution was another feature. They were deeply involved in all the details even after the first release, they took care of managing the AWS, Google calendar API and Paypal API settings.

I worked with Nazar (Project Manager, SteelKiwi), Kate (Backend Developer, SteelKiwi), Vladimir (Backend Developer, Steel Kiwi), Vitaly (Frontend Developer, SteelKiwi), Kristina (Designer, SteelKiwi), and Sergey (QA Specialist, SteelKiwi).

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I examined their reviews on Clutch, and remember seeing their ads on social media. After reviewing their website, I contacted them, had a meeting, and hired them.

The total cost of their work was $45,000 to deliver the first release, but there are several adjustments and features that need to be addressed.

We started working with SteelKiwi in July 2018, and the project was finished in July 2019.

The design was simple and user-friendly. SteelKiwi has advised me on the market and future implementations. Along with development, they’ve helped define process details, such as whether the platform should be multi-currency and where we should launch first. Their ideas impacted the project, and how we'll operate after launch.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

They delivered the design on the promised date, but the development took longer than we expected. This was because they had too many projects for the frontend developers to properly manage. Even so, they finished all the tasks on the backend very efficiently. We constantly found details that hadn’t been included in the estimate, a lot of challanges regarding the payment systems and timezone. All was successfully implemented.

We used a Slack channel to communicate. I’m a software engineer myself, so I was very involved with the project on a daily basis. We logged tasks and bugs using Jira.

I’m in Asia and they’re in Ukraine. The time difference made workflows difficult, but I got used to their working schedule. We had meetings in the morning, where I gave them feedback on their progress, and we’d continue to communicate on Jira throughout the day. The communication was very fast, and I appreciated it.

Nazar was amazing, and for me, irreplaceable—he was aware of everything and well-planned. Also, I would like to take the opportunity and thank Kate, Vladimir, Vitaliy, and Kristina for their hard work and efforts to deliver YoTutors.

They were shouldering responsibility when the situation called for. I remember when I had a significant problem with the website, they solved it after working hours, while they were at home.

Overall, they were very organized and had good project managers and backend developers. I’m very satisfied to work with this team and I appreciate how they were consistently so committed.

The only area where I wasn’t fully satisfied was the frontend. I can understand that, given that someone left part of the way through development.

I would recommend SteelKiwi to anyone. They cared a lot about me, and they wanted me to be happy. The team was friendly, patient with my requests and advised me on several issues, I appreciate everything they have done to make a successful output.

Overall Score I learned a lot from them, and I think they’re a good company to deal with.
    We spent extra time on the development process.
    I got good value for money. They spent a lot of hours to solve some problems.
    I was happy and know that anyone I recommend them to will be satisfied as well.

SaaS Development for Referral Service

"I find our weekly meetings very productive, and I feel that the team cares about the quality of the product."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi built a SaaS product from the ground up, developing the system’s UX/UI and front- and backends. They also provided QA services, DevOps, and documentation.

CEO & Founder, Referral Platform

Beyond simply implementing requirements, SteelKiwi has become a true product partner. They contribute to feature development and respectfully present alternatives if they’re called for, always keeping costs in mind. They prioritize both accessibility direct communication.

CEO & Founder of a candidate referral platform.

For what projects/services did your company hire SteelKiwi?

To create a novel B2B, widget-based SaaS product that was compatible with most CMS solutions.

To build a scalable B2B solution that facilitated website transformation, social marketing, email marketing, and referral marketing.

They were the result of a thorough interview process. We initially engaged in a UX/UI project before moving onto the build of the actual product. They did provide reviews to facilitate this new business process, but they didn’t provide referee’s to speak with. I would recommend them doing so in the future.

Documentation, UX/UI, frontend development, backend development, QA, and DevOps

A UX consultant, a UI consultant, a project manager, a backend developer, a frontend developer, and a QA Manager.

The work done with Steel Kiwi has enabled us to turn an idea into a successful, fast-growing business. I would like to extend my thanks to Anna, Alex, Ivan, Vitaliy and Kristina for their work over the last two years.

Project management was very good. Alex has done an excellent job and is always on hand to facilitate anything we need.

I find our weekly meetings very productive, and I feel that the team cares about the quality of the product. I encourage them to challenge me if they find my requests silly or too expensive for the expected benefit, and the team readily engages in that. To clarify, them challenging me is a good thing. It shows they’re thinking about the implications of feature requests and proposed changes.

We’ve brought up the idea of consolidating some systems, and I think they’ll get there. These are small pipe dreams, rather than large areas for improvement.

Overall Score Brilliant work, especially considering the requirements are not always simple.
    They are always in the weekly meeting.
    We have an excellent product. To date we have had 45 minutes of down time over the course of 1 year in operation and this was caused by AWS!

Web Development for News Aggregator Platform

“They’re able to do almost everything we ask of them, and they provide good value for our money.”

July 2016 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi designed and developed a WordPress site for a sports news platform. Key features include content publishing, blogs, and a subscription system. Users can also predict match outcomes and earn points.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Anwar Alshammari
Co-Founder, Ofog.com

Since its launch, site traffic has skyrocketed to nearly 120,000 unique visitors per month. SteelKiwi has remained onboard to ensure uptime and improved the code to accommodate the user volume. While there were minor issues with a previous project manager, they’ve worked to resolve them quickly.

I’m the co-founder of Ofog.com.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We wanted to deliver a professional sports website in Saudi Arabia that could match international standards.

Steel Kiwi has developed our sports news aggregator platform on WordPress, handling everything from the graphic design to the database and architecture. In addition to blogging/publishing capabilities, users have access to our subscription system, which allows them to register on our site and post comments.

The team has also installed and configured all of our plug-ins (e.g., SportsPress) to set up the core site functionalities. There’s a competitive module where users can predict future match results and earn points.

For this project, we had one project manager, 2–3 developers, graphic designers, and an account manager.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We researched about 100 companies online and put out an RFP with our requirements. There were a number of companies that we liked, but we ultimately chose SteelKiwi because they talked about the technical aspects well. On top of that, they were flexible in agreeing to our timescales, and there’s only an hour difference between our time zones.

We’ve spent about $35,000 so far. SteelKiwi has the most competitive costs out of all the vendors we’ve seen. Their price point is on the lower side, but they offer the best value.

We started working together in July 2016 and completed the site in February 2017. Currently, we’re still working with them to perform further development and updates as well as other projects.

When we launched the site, we started with no marketing at all. We had to build ourselves up by pushing out quality content and publicizing it through social media. Since then, traffic has increased substantially. Our latest report shows that we’ve achieved 120,000 unique visitors per month.

SteelKiwi has supported us throughout this time with site updates and maintenance. About 2–3 months after going live, we had a resource utilization issue on the server and needed them to make some adjustments. Their team optimized the code within two weeks, which made the site quicker and lighter on our server. Now, we have almost zero downtime—there are only minor instances whenever we see a large jump in user volume.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

During development, I wasn’t totally happy with the project manager. They were mostly responsive. Toward the last quarter of the project, there were times when they’d take 1–2 days to address my questions.

In contrast, Igor (New Business Development Manager, SteelKiwi) has been so helpful. He took over as the account manager for our other initiatives and made sure that we didn’t have any issues with our project managers moving forward. He’s a great communicator and is always available when we need him.

I’m impressed with SteelKiwi’s capabilities. They’re able to do almost everything we ask of them, and they provide good value for our money. We can trust them because they know what they’re doing.

They could look into having more qualified/communicative project managers across the board so that we don’t have to specifically ask for a different resource.

Make sure that you have a great team assigned to your project. Work with the account manager to ensure that you have the best resources available on your project.

Development of Social Collaboration Platform

“Their team members are very creative and proactive. Even if you know what you want to do, ask for their opinion.”

Dec. 2018 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi is developing a collaborative social platform that allows users to crowdsource information on niche research topics. It features effective URL bookmarking tools to encourage community interaction.

Boston, Massachusetts
Seokkue Song
Founder, Pikurate

The project is almost complete and features a strong tech stack. SteelKiwi has adapted well to all requirement changes, keeping the schedule and costs within the established estimates. Their transparency and excellent documentation habits compliment their project management skills well.

I’m the founder of Pikurate, a social collaboration platform. We offer an invaluable knowledge-sharing experience, allowing users to gain insights from domain experts for various research topics.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed someone to develop our social collaboration platform because we didn’t have an internal development team.

SteelKiwi developed my social collaboration platform, consulting us to select the best tech stack for our needs (Python, Django, PostgreSQL, React, Next.js, Node.js, and MobX.js).

Our product is a single platform that allows users to connect and interact with people to crowdsource knowledge. It’s really an information curation platform. Users who are interested in specific research topics can use our site to communicate with similarly-minded people.

We offer three main tools: the first is a unique bookmarking tool to organize valuable URL links; the second is a convenient research collaboration tool for individuals to share their referenced links; the third is a crowd-curated and vetted collection of information.

These benefits impart a more effective way of conducting online research. Whereas before, users would simply copy and paste single links here and there, our platform allows users to find a set of community-reviewed resources and collaborate with others, all organized by relevant research topics. In the future, we hope users will use the platform to answer more complicated questions.

There are eight people, including a project manager.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I researched online for good development shops and found SteelKiwi on Clutch. Out of the 40 companies I considered, I narrowed down my list to 5–6 candidates and interviewed each. My key criteria were price, quality, the right tech stack, and the right methodology. The estimated project period also had to be a good fit for my situation, and their credibility and reviews had to be great. SteelKiwi was a good option to meet my needs.

I’ve invested $50,000 so far.

We started working together in December 2018, and the work is ongoing. We’re almost done with the project.

So far, their project costs have fit my budget, and their time estimates are very reasonable and shorter than their competitors. Adding on to that, when I asked my CTO for his thoughts, he said their proposed tech stack was decent.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

They’ve performed very well. The team documents everything they create, so whenever I have a question, I can refer to their notes. This has been helpful because I’ve sometimes had to change a previous request that was recorded in their doc.

For example, in the beginning, we agreed to do two-week sprints, but I later realized that we had to develop faster. They understood the situation and easily switched gears to meet my needs. I appreciate their flexibility and willingness to adjust to my situation. In terms of communication, we coordinate through Skype, Trello, Slack, Jira, Confluence, and Google Doc.

This is a basic point, but I like how everything is very organized and well-planned—not all companies will do that. Their project manager gives me information well in advance. She lets me know what to expect for this week and the next and even a month later, so it’s easy for me to anticipate any potential changes. If a team member has a vacation coming up, she also gives me plenty of notice so that I can adjust.

Every development project has the same problem which is that time and budget estimates don’t always match up with the actual cost/schedule. This isn’t necessarily the vendor’s fault because startups don’t always know what they want to do and will change their requirements during development. SteelKiwi tries to stick closely to their estimates, but it would be good if they could be even more accurate.

Their team members are very creative and proactive. Even if you know what you want to do, ask for their opinion because sometimes their advice or insight is better. Use them not only to do something, but also to possibly find a better solution.

Mobile App Development for Restaurant Chain

"This wasn’t an easy project, and we weren’t easy customers, but they delivered the solution on time."

Oct. 2017 - Nov. 2018

Working with provided designs, SteelKiwi developed a food ordering application for a restaurant chain. They contributed conceptually in UX discussions and managed all technical aspects of the build.

Belgium
Damien Toulouse
Founder, Can Tho

SteelKiwi overcame some staff turnover to successfully deliver a functional application that has received positive feedback from customers. The team communicates well and is driven to meet all requirements. Their practical project management methods foster a smooth engagement.

I am the founder of Can Tho, which is a chain of restaurants that specializes in Vietnamese cuisine.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

As we planned to open our restaurant, we wanted to introduce an ordering application for our customers. In addition to hopefully reducing the personnel needed to operate the restaurant, we wanted to provide an enjoyable customer experience that would allow users to order and customize their food remotely.

We had many lengthy conversations regarding the ideal UX for the application. The finalization of the app’s flow then drove the development of the application itself. We relied on SteelKiwi to handle all technical elements of the project.

We worked with a group of 6–7 people.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

My wife, who is the marketing director for our restaurants, found SteelKiwi. They had an impressive pitch, so we felt comfortable selecting them.

We spent between $50,000­–$200,000.

Our engagement began in October 2017. They delivered the first version of the application in November 2018, and we are currently working on a second version.

The app functions as we hoped. It has very few bugs and has performed well. We have received a lot of positive feedback from our customers. They’re delighted and find it very user-friendly. And from a business standpoint, we’ve saved between $70,000–$105,000 in staff costs because of the application.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We worked very well together. We communicated primarily using Slack and Google Meet.

Their team suffered from quite a bit of staff turnover, which prolonged the work and required new members to play catch-up on the project details. Also, SteelKiwi could improve by making more of a commitment to product design. My team provided a lot of creative elements.

As with any project, it’s critical to be clear about what you want.

Mobile App Dev for Social Media Startup

"SteelKiwi was highly communicative, understanding, and honest."

Sept. 2018 - Apr. 2019

SteelKiwi built the MVP of an app for Android and iOS devices. Using existing screens, they designed wireframes and helped launch the app. Key features include location services, user profiles, and messaging.

San Diego, California
Founder, Social Media Startup

The MVP launched and met all requirements, leading to more work for SteelKiwi. The team delivered high-quality work on time and at competitive prices. Frequent communication, quick response times, diligence, and transparency made for a smooth collaboration throughout.

I’m the founder of a social media startup.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

I engaged SteelKiwi to develop an application for Android and iOS devices.

I provided at least 70 mockups and screens formatted in Figma. SteelKiwi took my exact design and redesigned it on InVision. Their duplicates matched 80% of my initial wireframes, but they incorporated the original theme and color schemes. They then built the app from scratch using Google Flutter.

The app uses Google Maps to create a location-specific feed. Users can post to publish feeds up to a radius of 300 feet and their posts last up to 48 hours. They can also look up feeds from other locations, pull up user profiles, have friends-only feeds, send messages, and change background images.

After development, SteelKiwi helped launch an MVP, create a mail account using Mailgun, and set up the AWS servers.

I worked with five people. The project manager served as my primary point of contact, but I could also message the lead developer as needed.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I was looking for outsourced developers a few years earlier, and SteelKiwi’s review and portfolio impressed me. However, the timing wasn’t right, so I waited before contracting their team until I had screens to provide. SteelKiwi came back with a cost estimate and a timeline, and we started the project from there.

I spent $40,000.

We started working together in September 2018, and the app launched in April 2019.

The MVP has launched and functions well. There’s room for improvement, but I look forward to the final version. SteelKiwi and I are now working on a website to start attracting users.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

SteelKiwi was highly organized and accommodating from start to finish. I sent screenshots of any areas that needed fixing, and they addressed it right away. Their team also sent screenshots of anything that needed updating. Their willingness to make time for me while working on other projects impressed me. The back-and-forth made communication as smooth as possible. I received multiple options to choose from at every step, which reassured me that I was getting the most value out of our engagement. We communicated via email and Slack.

SteelKiwi was highly communicative, understanding, and honest. They demonstrated a willingness to take on complicated projects and delivered an app that functions as I envisioned.

The team’s timing occasionally ran into issues, but I expected it. I appreciate their responsiveness after work hours and can’t think of any areas for improvement.

Given the number of developers out there, it can be tough to choose a good one. However, I’m happy with SteelKiwi’s work, and I’d definitely recommend their team.

SteelKiwi charged lowers rates than US providers.
    I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a partner like SteelKiwi.

iOS Development for Digital Company

“I always felt like my project was in good hands.”

Nov. 2017 - Aug. 2018

Using provided design ideas, SteelKiwi developed the UI elements, animations, and screens for a mood-tracking iOS mobile application that aims to improve users’ mental health.

Wien, Austria
Christoph Matzka
Founder, Matoph Labs

SteelKiwi delivered the project on time. The app performed will on the App Store, receiving 100 reviews and a 4.5 rating. They were transparent and communicative, managing an effective workflow and quickly addressing any questions. The positive experience will likely lead to future collaboration.

I’m the founder and owner of Matoph Labs. We’re a new, Vienna-based, digital services company that provides solutions to support and improve users’ mental health.

For what projects/services did your company hire SteelKiwi?

I had an idea for a mood-tracking mobile application. I’d put together a design and a set of requirements, but I needed a reliable and trustworthy agency to build out the platform using Swift technology.

I wanted a store-ready app with room for future expansions and improvements.

I searched on- and offline for app development companies and freelancers. In total, I considered 50 providers, but only shortlisted 10. I interviewed each one to assess their development capabilities, project management approach, and communication skills. I also requested timeline and cost estimates. Ultimately, I selected SteelKiwi because they offered the broadest skill set, a reasonable price, and a realistic timeline.

We started with a kick-off meeting, where I shared my planned design and approach for the iOS application. After they had a sufficient understanding of my expectations, we divided the project into sprints and scheduled scope meetings and demo sessions. The SteelKiwi team was responsible for implementing complex UI elements, animations, and screen transitions.

I worked with a team of three who handled our project management, development, and testing needs.

They completed the application, and we launched it on time. It was featured on the App Store and received more than 100 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 stars.

Transparency and communication are key to an efficient workflow, and SteelKiwi offered both. We had daily meetings via Skype and shared progress reports and documentation through Jira, Confluence, and Slack. They instantly answered my questions. I always felt like my project was in good hands.

SteelKiwi delivered on everything that they promised at the beginning of the project. They gained my trust, and I’m looking forward to working with them again in the future.

No, the final product wasn’t just good—it was excellent. That’s all we can ask for from developers.

Outsourced Development for IT Consulting Company

“I love their work.”

Aug. 2017 – Mar. 2018

SteelKiwi developed a Django-based web application that integrates Google Maps. They built the end-to-end system based on a prototype and incorporated the UX and UI requirements.

CEO, IT Company

SteelKiwi listened carefully and understood the scope clearly resulting in the delivery of the exact specifications desired, especially the UI and UX. Their strong Django expertise allowed them to create a flawlessly functional app that garnered positive feedback from the third-party recipient.

I’m the founder of an IT consulting company.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We were hired to create a product for an Indian-based market. We needed technical talent to implement the product.

I designed a map-based interface that allows users to search for land using Google Maps. I gave them the code design and the prototype. Based on the prototype, they built the end-to-end system. It’s a Django-based web app. They integrated the UX that I wanted into the app.

There was a team lead, two developers, one backend developer, and two designers.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I searched for companies that were good at Django. I found them through Upwork.

We spent between $10,000–$50,000.

We worked together from August 2017–March 2018.

They gave me exactly what I asked for. My clients who asked me for the app and other people that I’ve shown it to like it. Their work was great. The app works perfectly.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated through Slack, Skype, and Jira.

I love their work because they understood the requirements and provided the exact UI and UX I had in my mind. There were no hiccups, and they completed it in the time frame that I had in mind. It was good.

I definitely recommend them to people who have apps that they want to develop.

Web Development for Event Management Platform

"They understood the project and it was very clear what the objectives were with every meeting."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Steelkiwi built a website from scratch, handling both design and development work. They implemented data-tracking for both users and business offering services, which allows them track success.

Director, Events Company

The website has been completed and is being circulated to solicit feedback and potential partners. Steelkiwi worked quickly, making significant progress driven by their personnel decisions. Although their work sometimes required multiple iterations, their final deliverables were high-quality.

I’m the Founder and Director of an events company. Users can create an event, hire venues and additional services, and sell tickets, all on our platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Steelkiwi?

We had an idea of how we wanted the website to work, but, because we hadn't physically had a website before, we didn't know what features would or wouldn't work. That’s why we needed a company to actually create it for us.

We described our website to a sales manager and their them, and then they told us what they thought would or wouldn't work, and how they would go about creating it. We had our logo already created prior to getting the website made, but outside of that, they’ve done the rest of the design work for us.

We wanted it to be easy to give users as many different options as possible. So, if a user wanted to hire a venue, they could do that quite easily. If they already had a venue arranged somewhere else, they could post the location of the event and then hire additional services. Being flexible in creating the event was most important to us.

There are pages within the website where registered users track data themselves. If we had avid event creators, they could see all of the different events that they created and understand which ones were popular, which ones had the most guests, or how much money each one made. Likewise, businesses who list their venues or their services–whether it's catering companies, or security companies–would have a breakdown of all the statistics of when and how their business was used.

We initially talked with a sales manager, but then our team of seven or eight people was led by a project manager.

How did you come to work with Steelkiwi?

My business partner and I researched a number of different web companies. Initially, we approached Steelkiwi and were going to go with them, but then we spoke to another developer who we decided to go with. The other developer made us believe that they understood our idea more than Steel Kiwi initially did. We had meetings with the other developer, but when it came to actually starting the project, we realized that they didn't understand what we wanted. So, we went back to Steel Kiwi. We had a in-depth conversation with a sales manager and other people on the team and they really helped us understand that they knew what we wanted.

We’ve spent between $50,000–$60,000 so far.

We’ve been working together since August 2017.

Overall Score I can't think of any hiccups or any complaints. Most of it was great.
    Some of the features took a little bit longer than we wanted, but I guess that's on us not having experience about how long some of these things take to create.
    Whilst the workload was quite pricey, it was a big project, so I think it was good value for the money.
    Everything was excellent. I don’t have complaints with any of it.
    If anyone that I know needs a website developed or created, I'd definitely recommend Steel Kiwi.

iOS & Android Dev for Nightlife Heat-Map App

"They were extremely reactive in their sales process and listened to the challenge I had."

SteelKiwi designed and developed an app that shows venue popularity through the use of heat-map data. It includes filtering options to increase its user-friendliness. The project team also handled testing.

Paris, France
Yannig Le Bars
Founder, Le-Must

The app boasts a great design and a low cost per acquisition through the use of Facebook Ads. SteelKiwi was flexible with change requests and delayed payments, delivering quality outputs at a reasonable price. However, they could improve by reaching out proactively when something isn’t clear.

I’m the founder of a startup that’s developing a mobile app that uses heat-map data in order to display the attendance rate of different nightlife venues.

I’ve been working in this industry for a long time and am often asked about good places to go out. I always look on Google and check the live data on how many people are visiting different locales. Eventually, I came up with the idea of displaying the same type of attendance data but displayed on a heat-map so that everyone knows how popular a place is and its peak business hours.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed help with creating the app.

They developed my app for both iOS and Android platforms. I had designs created by an Upwork freelancer, but that person’s work was messy. SteelKiwi started out with redoing the designs while we gave them wireframes and a project backlog.

The core features of the app include a filter system. Because partying is different between cities, instead of having tens of global filters, we made it so that only the filters with at least one result behind them would be visible between different locations. It’s a flexible and adaptive system meant to make the app more user-friendly.

They provided a designer, an iOS developer, an Android developer, a backend developer, one or two testers, and a project manager.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

They were extremely reactive in their sales process and listened to the challenge I had. I was searching for a team that would truly understand the product and who would be likely to use the app themselves. I felt that SteelKiwi was the right team for the project. They had the spirit for it.

The cost of their work was $55,000, though this figure is not quite representative of the overall project since there always are several adjustments and smaller features that need to be addressed.

We started working with SteelKiwi in January 2018. The app has been available for about three months on iOS and one week on Android.

From my experience, I know that one version of an app should be finished before starting work on the other one, given that there will always be mistakes and change requirements after testing it on users. I didn’t want to correct everything twice, so I started on the Android version quite late in the project.

SteelKiwi has done very good work in terms of design. I’ve tested the app and have had very good results with Facebook Ads, attaining a cost per acquisition of only €0.20 ($0.24 USD) per new user, which is quite a good result but we’re working on making it better.

We’re currently in the process of launching a promotional campaign so that we can generate informative metrics for potential investors. I want to prove that the app can have good traction and a good retention rate, which isn’t all that good at the moment. I’d also like to implement a notification feature in the future so that people feel compelled to come back to the app.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

I was flexible in terms of deadlines, to begin with, and we mainly used Slack for communication. I know I was a bit annoying at times, given that I changed my mind a bit down the road.

I made few mistakes by being a bit too flexible. On their side, they should have been more clear with the exact features coming next, but I’m happy with SteelKiwi’s services. For the price, their performance was perfect. I know that had I made this application in France or England, it would’ve cost two to four times as much. They were also very flexible and continued the work even when I was late with payments.

There have been some small misunderstandings at times when they don’t get in touch when a feature requirement isn’t clear.

Also, I’ve entered a lot of data for the places on the map, such as the kind of music a locale has, what the dress code is, the price range, and so on. In order to test the data entry feature, one of their testers entered a lot of data to various places. The tester left the team, as well as his data on the main public server. I’ve asked them to clean it up, but they haven’t, which is quite annoying. It’s possible that I still have one or two places with weird information.

If they want to work with SteelKiwi, clients need to be as specific as possible, including drawing every detail themselves before asking for features. Their members are developers, not business people.

There have been some small bugs.
    I’m opening my own agency, so I don’t know if I will. I would recommend them otherwise.

Bronze