Software development services with a high standard

We create astonishing web and mobile applications using the modern day frameworks which are focused on building quick-to-market, scalable and fault-tolerant applications.

Our customers get:

1. Proof of concept
  2. MVP
  3. Ongoing development
  4. Technology partnership for existing business

Our main goal is to develop a project which will reflect your idea and contain the best solutions from our side.

Services we provide:

• Business analysis
  • UX strategy and functional requirements creation
  • UI design, product identity
  • Mobile (iOS and Android) development
  • Bespoke web development
  • Product support and iterative development

Some of the industries we serve:

• Medical software development
  • Booking and scheduling solutions
  • Recruitment software
  • GPS-based solutions
  • Business Process Automation

Drop us a line to email [email protected]!

Odessa, Ukraine

Snaapy - eCommerce platform for B2C sector

Snaapy helps clients connect with businesses which offer anything from car rentals to a haircut, to a babysitter for a couple of hours. Clients have the ability to make an appointment with the necessary service provider, choosing the time which suits them best. This mobile solution provides instant access to basic services and improves the overall management within enterprises.

Spotvice - Photo- and Location-Based Platform for Travel Suggestions

Spotvice is a social networking platform that allows users to share their favorite locations by pinning a picture of them to the map. The most important feature is that you get suggestions only from people you know and trust - your friends (the list of whom is based on data collected from Facebook).

Khabar - News Aggregator platform and native mobile applications

Khabar is a mobile app which gives you a possibility to subscribe to unbiased news sources like BBC, CNN, etc. and stay tuned for the most important events happening worldwide. Receive push notifications for breaking news, share the most exciting information on social networks and leave comments. Khabar helps you see any situation from different perspectives in order to let you make your own conclusions.

Jobmarch - Job and employee searching platform

JobMatch is a game changer for businesses and jobseekers who want to establish a prosperous collaboration. Bearing a resemblance to Tinder, JobMatch selects only those applicants who suit your professional needs, making the search fast and easy.

Possion - Universal GPS Tracking platform for portable property

Possio is a Swedish service which offers sensors, software and the very best GPS/GSM tracking solutions for vehicles and different assets. With the Possio Tracker app you can find out where your property is and secure it with the help of Possio Tracker device.

Nova-Vita clinic

Hang - party making messenger

Inkbulb - educational platform

Inkbulb - educational platform

iOS Development for Digital Company

“I always felt like my project was in good hands.”

Nov. 2017 - Aug. 2018

Using provided design ideas, SteelKiwi developed the UI elements, animations, and screens for a mood-tracking iOS mobile application that aims to improve users’ mental health.

Wien, Austria
Christoph Matzka
Founder, Matoph Labs

SteelKiwi delivered the project on time. The app performed will on the App Store, receiving 100 reviews and a 4.5 rating. They were transparent and communicative, managing an effective workflow and quickly addressing any questions. The positive experience will likely lead to future collaboration.

I’m the founder and owner of Matoph Labs. We’re a new, Vienna-based, digital services company that provides solutions to support and improve users’ mental health.

For what projects/services did your company hire SteelKiwi?

I had an idea for a mood-tracking mobile application. I’d put together a design and a set of requirements, but I needed a reliable and trustworthy agency to build out the platform using Swift technology.

I wanted a store-ready app with room for future expansions and improvements.

I searched on- and offline for app development companies and freelancers. In total, I considered 50 providers, but only shortlisted 10. I interviewed each one to assess their development capabilities, project management approach, and communication skills. I also requested timeline and cost estimates. Ultimately, I selected SteelKiwi because they offered the broadest skill set, a reasonable price, and a realistic timeline.

We started with a kick-off meeting, where I shared my planned design and approach for the iOS application. After they had a sufficient understanding of my expectations, we divided the project into sprints and scheduled scope meetings and demo sessions. The SteelKiwi team was responsible for implementing complex UI elements, animations, and screen transitions.

I worked with a team of three who handled our project management, development, and testing needs.

They completed the application, and we launched it on time. It was featured on the App Store and received more than 100 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 stars.

Transparency and communication are key to an efficient workflow, and SteelKiwi offered both. We had daily meetings via Skype and shared progress reports and documentation through Jira, Confluence, and Slack. They instantly answered my questions. I always felt like my project was in good hands.

SteelKiwi delivered on everything that they promised at the beginning of the project. They gained my trust, and I’m looking forward to working with them again in the future.

No, the final product wasn’t just good—it was excellent. That’s all we can ask for from developers.

Outsourced Development for IT Consulting Company

“I love their work.”

Aug. 2017 – Mar. 2018

SteelKiwi developed a Django-based web application that integrates Google Maps. They built the end-to-end system based on a prototype and incorporated the UX and UI requirements.

CEO, IT Company

SteelKiwi listened carefully and understood the scope clearly resulting in the delivery of the exact specifications desired, especially the UI and UX. Their strong Django expertise allowed them to create a flawlessly functional app that garnered positive feedback from the third-party recipient.

I’m the founder of an IT consulting company.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We were hired to create a product for an Indian-based market. We needed technical talent to implement the product.

I designed a map-based interface that allows users to search for land using Google Maps. I gave them the code design and the prototype. Based on the prototype, they built the end-to-end system. It’s a Django-based web app. They integrated the UX that I wanted into the app.

There was a team lead, two developers, one backend developer, and two designers.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I searched for companies that were good at Django. I found them through Upwork.

We spent between $10,000–$50,000.

We worked together from August 2017–March 2018.

They gave me exactly what I asked for. My clients who asked me for the app and other people that I’ve shown it to like it. Their work was great. The app works perfectly.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated through Slack, Skype, and Jira.

I love their work because they understood the requirements and provided the exact UI and UX I had in my mind. There were no hiccups, and they completed it in the time frame that I had in mind. It was good.

I definitely recommend them to people who have apps that they want to develop.

Web Development for Event Management Platform

"They understood the project and it was very clear what the objectives were with every meeting."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

Steelkiwi built a website from scratch, handling both design and development work. They implemented data-tracking for both users and business offering services, which allows them track success.

Director, Events Company

The website has been completed and is being circulated to solicit feedback and potential partners. Steelkiwi worked quickly, making significant progress driven by their personnel decisions. Although their work sometimes required multiple iterations, their final deliverables were high-quality.

I’m the Founder and Director of an events company. Users can create an event, hire venues and additional services, and sell tickets, all on our platform.

What challenge were you trying to address with Steelkiwi?

We had an idea of how we wanted the website to work, but, because we hadn't physically had a website before, we didn't know what features would or wouldn't work. That’s why we needed a company to actually create it for us.

We described our website to a sales manager and their them, and then they told us what they thought would or wouldn't work, and how they would go about creating it. We had our logo already created prior to getting the website made, but outside of that, they’ve done the rest of the design work for us.

We wanted it to be easy to give users as many different options as possible. So, if a user wanted to hire a venue, they could do that quite easily. If they already had a venue arranged somewhere else, they could post the location of the event and then hire additional services. Being flexible in creating the event was most important to us.

There are pages within the website where registered users track data themselves. If we had avid event creators, they could see all of the different events that they created and understand which ones were popular, which ones had the most guests, or how much money each one made. Likewise, businesses who list their venues or their services–whether it's catering companies, or security companies–would have a breakdown of all the statistics of when and how their business was used.

We initially talked with a sales manager, but then our team of seven or eight people was led by a project manager.

How did you come to work with Steelkiwi?

My business partner and I researched a number of different web companies. Initially, we approached Steelkiwi and were going to go with them, but then we spoke to another developer who we decided to go with. The other developer made us believe that they understood our idea more than Steel Kiwi initially did. We had meetings with the other developer, but when it came to actually starting the project, we realized that they didn't understand what we wanted. So, we went back to Steel Kiwi. We had a in-depth conversation with a sales manager and other people on the team and they really helped us understand that they knew what we wanted.

We’ve spent between $50,000–$60,000 so far.

We’ve been working together since August 2017.

Overall Score I can't think of any hiccups or any complaints. Most of it was great.
    Some of the features took a little bit longer than we wanted, but I guess that's on us not having experience about how long some of these things take to create.
    Whilst the workload was quite pricey, it was a big project, so I think it was good value for the money.
    Everything was excellent. I don’t have complaints with any of it.
    If anyone that I know needs a website developed or created, I'd definitely recommend Steel Kiwi.

iOS & Android Dev for Nightlife Heat-Map App

"They were extremely reactive in their sales process and listened to the challenge I had."

SteelKiwi designed and developed an app that shows venue popularity through the use of heat-map data. It includes filtering options to increase its user-friendliness. The project team also handled testing.

Paris, France
Yannig Le Bars
Founder, Le-Must

The app boasts a great design and a low cost per acquisition through the use of Facebook Ads. SteelKiwi was flexible with change requests and delayed payments, delivering quality outputs at a reasonable price. However, they could improve by reaching out proactively when something isn’t clear.

I’m the founder of a startup that’s developing a mobile app that uses heat-map data in order to display the attendance rate of different nightlife venues.

I’ve been working in this industry for a long time and am often asked about good places to go out. I always look on Google and check the live data on how many people are visiting different locales. Eventually, I came up with the idea of displaying the same type of attendance data but displayed on a heat-map so that everyone knows how popular a place is and its peak business hours.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed help with creating the app.

They developed my app for both iOS and Android platforms. I had designs created by an Upwork freelancer, but that person’s work was messy. SteelKiwi started out with redoing the designs while we gave them wireframes and a project backlog.

The core features of the app include a filter system. Because partying is different between cities, instead of having tens of global filters, we made it so that only the filters with at least one result behind them would be visible between different locations. It’s a flexible and adaptive system meant to make the app more user-friendly.

They provided a designer, an iOS developer, an Android developer, a backend developer, one or two testers, and a project manager.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

They were extremely reactive in their sales process and listened to the challenge I had. I was searching for a team that would truly understand the product and who would be likely to use the app themselves. I felt that SteelKiwi was the right team for the project. They had the spirit for it.

The cost of their work was $55,000, though this figure is not quite representative of the overall project since there always are several adjustments and smaller features that need to be addressed.

We started working with SteelKiwi in January 2018. The app has been available for about three months on iOS and one week on Android.

From my experience, I know that one version of an app should be finished before starting work on the other one, given that there will always be mistakes and change requirements after testing it on users. I didn’t want to correct everything twice, so I started on the Android version quite late in the project.

SteelKiwi has done very good work in terms of design. I’ve tested the app and have had very good results with Facebook Ads, attaining a cost per acquisition of only €0.20 ($0.24 USD) per new user, which is quite a good result but we’re working on making it better.

We’re currently in the process of launching a promotional campaign so that we can generate informative metrics for potential investors. I want to prove that the app can have good traction and a good retention rate, which isn’t all that good at the moment. I’d also like to implement a notification feature in the future so that people feel compelled to come back to the app.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

I was flexible in terms of deadlines, to begin with, and we mainly used Slack for communication. I know I was a bit annoying at times, given that I changed my mind a bit down the road.

I made few mistakes by being a bit too flexible. On their side, they should have been more clear with the exact features coming next, but I’m happy with SteelKiwi’s services. For the price, their performance was perfect. I know that had I made this application in France or England, it would’ve cost two to four times as much. They were also very flexible and continued the work even when I was late with payments.

There have been some small misunderstandings at times when they don’t get in touch when a feature requirement isn’t clear.

Also, I’ve entered a lot of data for the places on the map, such as the kind of music a locale has, what the dress code is, the price range, and so on. In order to test the data entry feature, one of their testers entered a lot of data to various places. The tester left the team, as well as his data on the main public server. I’ve asked them to clean it up, but they haven’t, which is quite annoying. It’s possible that I still have one or two places with weird information.

If they want to work with SteelKiwi, clients need to be as specific as possible, including drawing every detail themselves before asking for features. Their members are developers, not business people.

There have been some small bugs.
    I’m opening my own agency, so I don’t know if I will. I would recommend them otherwise.

Web Dev for Digital Content & Distribution Platform

"They are always forthcoming, coming up with good solutions for us to improve processes."

2017 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi is developing the MVP of a blockchain-powered collaboration platform using React.js and Solidarity. They are helping to create wireframes, plan and refine features, and launch the product.

Austria
Founder & CEO, Digital Content & Distribution Platform

The company has launched the product's landing page with great success. SteelKiwi delivers tasks on time, devises clever solutions to complex issues, and makes contact throughout the project to keep everyone updated. They have pared down their communication strategy to streamline the process.

My company is working on a collaboration platform powered by blockchain. It provides tools for managing projects, sharing tasks, and delivering notifications. The company was founded specifically to launch this platform, which we are planning to launch in the autumn of 2018. I am the founder and CEO.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We’re based in Austria, and needed developers who were proficient in a specific area to address a development challenge. After reviewing several companies, it turned out that SteelKiwi was a good partner for us. They had adequate pricing and the specific attributes we required. It was a good choice for us to work with a company based in the U.S. and Ukraine.

We developed the platform concept locally and gave SteelKiwi a fleshed-out concept from which to start. They supported us in planning features and wireframing the platform. We planned the core features, but they helped us refine and augment them. The platform was built using React.js and the Solidity blockchain programming language.

Implementing the blockchain functionality was a particular challenge. The platform is blockchain-powered, so SteelKiwi has brought in some experts who are proficient in this technology. We've also brought some extra people on our side. Overall, the project has gone smoothly.

We’ve had some organizational challenges, but nothing technical we couldn’t solve. The challenges came from having a decentralized approach. The team from SteelKiwi is in one place, but we’ve brought in collaborators from the U.S. and Canada to work with us. Since developers didn't work from the same office, we had communication issues.

The size of the team has fluctuated. Including quality assurance (QA) resources, we’ve worked with up to 15 resources from SteelKiwi.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We prepared a short brief about the project, which was a retrospective of the weightier brief. The concept has huge innovation potential, so we didn’t want to send it to dozens of companies in its entirety. We received different responses from different providers. Some didn’t reply, while others just wrote an email.

SteelKiwi was quite eager to talk. We immediately organized a meeting with their sales agent, who was motivated to find out about the project. She prepared a convincing quote document that assessed the whole project, then based a detailed quote on what we sent them. This document—along with SteelKiwi's personal, communicative approach—was a big factor. Their price was also relatively competitive. They refunded the initial wireframing later, as a little bonus.

We started working with SteelKiwi in 2017. We have finished the minimum viable product (MVP), and are continuing to develop additional features. We are 65–70% complete.

So far, SteelKiwi has usually delivered on time. We recently launched the landing page of an initial coin offering (ICO) we’re performing, a side project advertising the platform. We’re very happy with the design and functionality of the platform. Creating the MVP was a huge milestone.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We’ve had some issues, but they have been resolved quickly. They mainly stem from us bringing in external people to work on our blockchain smart contracts. SteelKiwi has adapted to our situation quickly. Nothing is unsolvable, and nothing blocks the process.

We have a lot of Skype meetings, and we also use Slack. They use great tools that made it simpler for us to collaborate on the project. They are always forthcoming, coming up with good solutions for us to improve processes. They are always reachable, remaining in contact throughout the day through Slack and Skype. The collaboration works well. I wouldn’t give them a good review if I didn’t think they do a good job. They are helpful in every regard.

A common problem with many development studios is adopting too many communication channels, like email, Slack, and Skype. At one point, we had to dial down the number of channels we were using.

As the amount of information grew, the channels also grew exponentially. We’ve had to simplify communication a bit and remove some channels to make the information flow in a more structured way. We resolved it quickly. It wasn't a major gripe or a permanent, specific problem with SteelKiwi.

There were only some minor issues.

Web Dev for Personal Training Platform

“Their communication was very impressive, and they worked very well as a team.”

May 2017 - January 2018

SteelKiwi designed and built a custom e-commerce site using Django, Python, and Amazon Web Services. They also set up Google Analytics.

Sheradan, Wyoming
Kathryn Tracy
Founder, Yourlivingroomtrainer

The site is clean and well-designed, and meets all original requirements. Project management and communication were streamlined using Slack, Jira, Confluence, and Skype, and customer service was exceptional.

I’m the founder of a startup called Your Living-room Trainer. It’s basically an online gym with profiles for trainers and trainees, and the service matches compatible exercise preferences and processes payments for individual sessions.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed to design and build a site that would support the platform and all the features we were looking to include.

SteelKiwi created the site on Drupal, and handled all aspects of development including design, UX/UI, and backend work. We initially provided them with a series of sketches/ideas for the look and feel, but they took the lead on design execution. Throughout the project they used Django, Python, and Amazon Web Services for hosting. They also set us up on Google Analytics.

We primarily worked with Kristina Malik, who acted as our project manager. Yvette Mosiichuk lead UX development and the design process. I also worked with two developers on occasion.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I originally found them on Google. I interviewed quite a few other agencies, but none of them were a good fit.

We invested under $50,000 on the project.

We started working with them in May of 2017, and concluded in January of 2018.

The design of the product was very clean and well-done. It’s simple to use, and the user flow is great. We’re still waiting on user feedback, but we’re very happy with the end product and looking forward to seeing how it’s received.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

They were top notch; Kristina did an excellent job. She was communicative, organized, and attentive throughout the project. They were very responsive. We used a combination of Slack, Jira, Confluence, and Skype for communication and tracking progress.

Their communication was very impressive, and they worked very well as a team. Also, during the project, I had some personal issues due to Hurricane Irma, and they were very understanding and were willing to work around my schedule.

I was a bit nervous about the number of bugs that came up during the testing phase, but they fixed them efficiently at no extra charge. They could also be more communicative around pricing, because they’re charging more than their initial quote.

Advice for potential customers?

They’re an excellent company to work with, and the customer service is great. Be open and communicate with them. Make sure they know exactly what you’re looking for, and I’m 100% sure that they’ll do everything they can to make it happen.

Mobile App Dev for Children's Entertainment Platform

“The final product was delivered above expectations. ... the UI is great and functions completely without bugs.”

May 2017 - Nov 2017

SteelKiwi developed a parental-controlled entertainment app for iOS. They built a backend server and designed the app’s UI. Features include a media catalog, personalized screen time, and content playlists.

Yasha Adamovski
Founder, Jezter

The app has proven to be successful in beta testing by offering a useful service with intuitive design. Parents value the controllable screen time and request a greater breadth of content.

I’m the founder of Jezter, a parental-controlled children’s entertainment and education app.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

We needed to outsource a company for mobile app development.

First, we discussed project specifications and negotiated a price. Then, we were assigned a project manager who laid out a timeline. They provided a beta version that we then had tested. Once that was complete, SteelKiwi resumed development. We received weekly builds and provided feedback until the product was complete.

Essentially, they developed an iOS app that aggregates kid-friendly online content like YouTube videos, web games, and comics. This included building a backend server that we upload content too, and designing the app’s final UI. The finished product features a catalog for users to easily discover content. Alternatively, parents can manage what their kids view by creating playlists and limiting screen time via in-app functions.

We worked with the account manager and project manager, but never interacted with the developers.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We found them and 5–6 other companies on Clutch. After interviewing all potential vendors, SteelKiwi was the most professional and had the best prices.

This project cost around $27,000.

The engagement took place May 2017­–November 2017.

We’ve had 200 beta testers, and 20–30 have sent positive reviews. Parents are impressed with how easily they can manage their child’s screen time.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

We communicated via Skype and email, while using Trello and Jira to assist with project management. They’d respond to questions within an hour, or at least communicate when they’d have an answer if the question was difficult. However, the 7–hour time-zone difference was challenging in terms of deadlines, but that’s the drawback of outsourcing overseas.

The final product was delivered above expectations. The UI is great and functions completely without bugs. We’re fully satisfied and plan to work with them on future developments.

The project manager’s English wasn’t perfect, and that sometimes caused miscommunication. However, the account manager is almost fluent in English, which is impressive.

SteelKiwi is great for startups with a fluid vision. They did a lot of research to help us decide where to take our product.

The only drawback was the time zone difference.
    The cost is not comparable to North America prices.
    Their design and development work is impressive.

Mobile App Dev for Social Media Hashtag Platform

“They did everything exactly the way we wanted.”

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Steelkiwi developed an app for iOS and Android. Their services are comprehensive to include everything from creating the illustrations and the logo to putting the app on the App Store.

Mary Boyagi
Founder, Hashtag Hound

Although their delivery time was faster than anticipated which caused a few problems, they impressed with their supportive understanding and accurate development of the app. Steelkiwi's strengths of superior organizational skills and excellent problem solving make them a reliable partner.

I'm the founder of Hashtag Hound, an app that helps find hashtags for Instagram.

What challenge were you trying to address with Steelkiwi?

We needed to find someone who could develop an app they haven’t done before. A lot of companies just want to do something they've done in the past. No one could guarantee us that the algorithm we wanted to build will actually work. Steelwiki was the first company that said they could definitely do it.

They worked on everything involving the app. They built it for iOS and Android. They built the user interface. They drew illustrations for use inside the app and created the icons and logo designs.

The user logs in and sees categories that they can choose from that relate to their photo. They can choose the date, location, and language, and the app provides the user with a list of the best hashtags that are suitable for their photo. The user will be able to get the relevant audience that will see the photo. The app isn't on the App Store yet, but it's almost done. We are testing it now.

There were 2 developers on each platform. We had meetings with the whole team working on the project whenever it was necessary, but I dealt mostly with the team leader.

How did you come to work with Steelkiwi?

I was browsing websites and portfolios of different companies. Steelkiwi attracted my attention because of the designs of their apps. I felt like it was suitable for our purposes. At the initial meeting, I saw how involved and passionate they are. They understood me straight away, and they seemed genuinely interested in developing my app.

We've spent around $40,000 with them.

We've been working with them since April 2017. We're testing this particular build of our app. Once we get feedback from the users, we'll look at it together, fix the app, and then launch it on the App Store. They'll provide the support afterward.

The feedback has been positive so far. For people who haven't had help with finding hashtags for Instagram, they're happy and excited. People who are using other services or apps have concerns that it doesn't work the same way as other apps, but they're happy with the design, and they like the interface. The main complaint is that the selection process for the hashtags is not as fast. We might change the technical selection process.

How did Steelkiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

They were incredibly reliable. I have no complaints whatsoever. They worked so fast that I didn't expect the project to finish this soon. That created a few problems for me in terms of management, because we weren't prepared to launch in terms of marketing. I wish there was more communication on that part, but their general strategy in terms of project management is to over deliver as opposed to under deliver. When it comes to time, it's not always convenient for a client to have the project ready sooner rather than later, but that's my issue.

We used Slack to communicate. We could also see all the details of the process on JIRA. I met them in person at the beginning, but because we're in different countries, we communicate online.

They're very organized. Every issue that came up was solved straight away. The level of planning that goes into every task was ridiculous at times. We sat down and they explained every detail in the process. Eventually, we had to simplify that because it was too much for me. That impressed me; their style is very linear.

The way their developers work together with UX designers is very efficient; I'm glad I didn't go with my own UX designer. It was perfect. It happened so quickly. They did everything exactly the way we wanted.

Their timing could be improved, which also impacts financing. If you're not sure when they're going to finish the project and how quickly they're going to work on it, then you're not sure how much you have to pay them every month. Their initial quote was correct, but it was a hard to put together the finances necessary for this project as quickly as they were developing it because I expected it to last longer. They finished it 4–5 months earlier than I expected.

They delivered the project a little too quickly.
    I've recommended them in the past.

Site Modernization & API Dev for Computer Software Startup

"The communication with [them] has been quick and easy."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi created an API and redeveloped the backend framework of an existing web solution. The project team remains focused on feature enrichment as the launch deadline approaches.

Denver, Colorado
Co-Founder, Software Startup

Robust project management and a reliable quality assurance process ensured the solution achieved all technical requirements. SteelKiwi's reasonable cost structure and flexible workflow are also notable strengths.

I’m one of three founders of a startup company that does business and location intelligence. We have a web application that looks at worldwide demographics.

What challenges were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

SteelKiwi redeveloped an app for us.

SteelKiwi helped create an API and the framework for the backend of our application. We already had a functioning version of the app written in ASP.NET, so we had SteelKiwi redevelop and modernize everything for us.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

We had used SteelKiwi before to develop a webpage while we were doing work with a humanitarian aid company. We wanted to hire stateside for this project, so we probably looked at three different companies stateside. We also looked at individual developers, but we decided to go with SteelKiwi. We had the previous experience with them, and they had done good work for us before. Cost also was a consideration.

How much have you invested with SteelKiwi?

We’ve probably spent a little over $20,000 with SteelKiwi.

We’re still working with the humanitarian aid company, so we have an ongoing relationship with SteelKiwi. I think we originally started working with them a little less than a year ago. We started on this specific project probably 3–4 months ago, so around January of 2017. We’re not quite finished with the project yet. They’re wrapping up a few things for us on the backend, and we’re considering some additional functionalities.

The communication with SteelKiwi has been good and easy. They use a bunch of different platforms, including Slack and JIRA. They’ve also been accommodating in terms of the time zones. We’re in Colorado, so we had a time difference, but they’re pretty good at dealing with that.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

Not including the project manager, I would say five developers from SteelKiwi worked on our project. That includes the quality assurance person. We basically let them assemble the team that would work with us, but we used some of the same members we’d used on our previous project.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

We were really happy with what SteelKiwi did for us. We didn't get too much into how they conducted their business. I guess they do have a live video feed where you can see them working. I thought that was interesting. We didn't really dive into how they operated, though. We let them do their work.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

One difficult area has been in terms of billing. We’ve had a little bit of confusion in trying to get the billing correct or fully clarified.

Overall Score We definitely will consider SteelKiwi if we do any backend development in the future.

iOS Prototype Dev for App Startup

"They are very detail-oriented. They push your limits."

Nov. 2016 - Ongoing

SteelKiwi first validated design specs and then prototyped the first iOS version of a travel app. Core features include account creation using social media, geo-pinning, and image sharing.

Italy
Milena Cetkovic
Founder, AppLab

Assigned resources contributed expert guidance resulting in meaningful product enhancements previously unconsidered. The project team is driven and detail-oriented but has difficulty sharing relevant updates in terms comprehensible to laypeople.

My business is AppLab. I’m creating a travel app for friends. It’s similar to TripAdvisor and Foursquare, but mixed with Instagram.

What challenge were you trying to address with SteelKiwi?

I wasn't into apps in general. It's not my main job; it's just a hobby for now. I just had an idea that I thought it would be great to create something because the app that I had in mind doesn't exist. Every time that I was traveling, I would look at TripAdvisor reviews, and I always made mistakes because the people who review different hotels, restaurants, etc. are not my friends, and don't have the same taste as I do. I was also reviewing existing apps, such as Foursquare, which I found very difficult to use. I wanted to develop something more personal and only for friends.

My app is very simple. It's based only on images for now. I think an image speaks 1,000 words, and there’s no need for detailed reviews. If I see my friend visited that restaurant when he was in New York, I know his taste and I know it's a good place to try out.

The main feature is image upload. The profile is done through Facebook. So when you sign in, you sign into Facebook. Another feature were map pins, which are very important. If you're trying to see the places your friends have visited, you login to the map and you would see all those places. You can also find a direction to each place.

They helped me with the requirements for the app. It's not something I did by myself. I had a clear idea of what I wanted, but since development is not something that I do, I wasn't sure I would be capable of translating what I had in mind to the actual app. They helped me a lot because they understood right away what I was looking for.

I had a project manager, a designer, and two other members on the project. I was always in communication with the project manager. She handled everything, and I had to meet a few times with the designer. I didn’t interact much with the developers. We had two to three calls to resolve small issues, but I assume five developers were working on the app. It was really the designer and the project manager that I was in contact with.

The app is still being tested because of a few issues that I noticed. While we were developing the app, everything was done well. Issues that we are having now can be fixed once the testing is done.

How did you come to work with SteelKiwi?

I went to Upwork and posted there what I was looking for. Before I decided on SteelKiwi, I was in contact with five developers at the time. There was one in India, but it was really hard because of the time difference. I was looking for someone that's closer to where I'm at in Italy. Then I had another company from Moscow.

However, SteelKiwi was local, and they offered a better price. I wasn't even considering the other companies. One did a quote that was triple from what it should have been. I think the Indian company was a great company, but the time difference would be an issue.

SteelKiwi were just better than anyone. They just convinced me, and Kate was really helpful. My first gut instinct was to hire them because I really had a good feeling after my first interview with them. There was just no question that I would choose them.

How much have you invested with SteelKiwi?

The total was $16,000.

We started in November 2016 with wireframes. I was delaying the entire process for a month or two, because in Italy it's better if you have your own company if you're doing something like this. Bureaucratic things in Italy are so long, so I'm still waiting to have my company set up. It's something that will happen in the next few weeks or so. For that reason, I couldn't move forward faster because all the invoices need to go through the company, and if you don't have the company you can't put all the expenses on the company. I'm sure we would have finished everything at least two months earlier if it wasn't for those bureaucratic parts that I had to deal with.

The app is live. I'm testing it with a few of my friends because it has my first and last name underneath because I don't have the company yet. I'm just waiting for that to happen. I can't go live with my name because to be honest, it looks weird. It's live for users, but I haven't started with marketing or any initiatives that were supposed to happen after the launch. I'm just waiting for that to be determined.

Every time I have to travel, I always have those long emails of places. For example, I'm traveling to Abu Dhabi tomorrow. I had a friend who was there a week ago, and he sent me a huge email with places I have to visit, but I think that will be easier to have that through my app. Then you can check the images and details, so it's definitely something that will be more useful for users and me. Based on this idea, I think it will have a positive reaction.

Of the three users using it right now (my husband and best friends), the reception has been positive. It's still in the beginning, but I think it's something that can be developed into something bigger since my initial idea was an app that was more complex than this one. I have to say SteelKiwi were pretty honest, saying it's better to start with small, and then if you see a positive reaction from users, we can definitely build it up to be what I had in mind in the beginning.

How did SteelKiwi perform from a project management standpoint?

It was really good. I don't know about other project managers, but mine was really perfect. She was available 24 hours a day even though I wasn’t. I never had an issue in communications with them. We used Google Docs, Skype for conference calls, and email.

What did you find most impressive about SteelKiwi?

They are very detail-oriented. They push your limits, saying "You have to think about this, and you have to get back to me tomorrow." They're really pushy but in a good way. They're trying to make you think more than you have time to do.

Are there any areas SteelKiwi could improve?

I spoke to them about it. I think the only thing to improve is their invoicing. Every time they would send an invoice, I would have a list of what has been done that week or month. Since I'm not a developer, I don't know anything about apps, so it wasn't really clear to me. Every time I had to go back and talk to them about it. They were completely transparent, and I don't think there was an issue there. In terms of the description of the invoice and what has been done, they also agreed that that should have been more clear for someone who’s not a developer, or someone who doesn't understand those terms.

I think it could be less expensive.
    Definitely. I already have someone for them.