World Class Remote Software Engineering

At Squash Apps, we

• Work with startups as well as small businesses/enterprises
  • Full stack engineers, follow agile methodology and clean code and possess very good communication skills
  • We build scalable and robust modern apps for our clients and for the company
  • https://panitr.com is an ecommerce platform we built from the ground up

Squash Apps Private Limited Coimbatore, TN 641037

• Cloudbera
  • Five2One
  • PinnacleSeven

Panitr

Panitr is an ecommerce web and mobile app that connects buyers and sellers and has a variety of features including making offers, chat, a smooth user interface and speed. This is built in-house.

Atmosfi

Atmosfi is a web application that helps businesses connect with the local community

Premocast

PremoCast is a podcast app that connects listeners and podcasters and allows them to engage, share and sell content.

Doodlio

Doodlio is the modern way to manage your parish or school community

Shelly Apps (http://shellyapps.com/)

Shelly is the first smart notes app for knowledge workers. Shelly is stylish and simple. It boosts productivity, saves time and helps you perform as you have never done before.

Web App Dev Location-Based Platform

“Our platform made quick progress with their involved approach to collaboration.”

June 2017 - Ongoing

Squash Apps provided maintenance and development to foster client engagement on a business sharing platform. They integrated communication and analytics programs for a self-service and geolocation functions.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ryan Oliveria
CEO, StayLocal.co

Engagement metrics increased and users reported the platform ran smoothly and efficiently. The Squash team’s outstanding communication skills has allowed for quick bug fixes and steady progression throughout the engagement.

I am the founder of StayLocal. We are a location-based platform that lets local businesses share events, specials, and products with people in their area.

What challenge were you trying to address with Squash Apps?

Our previous development partner created nearly three-quarters of our platform, but the work was sloppy and below our company standards. We brought in Squash Apps to complete the project, correct any mistakes, and fine-tune some design elements.

Squash Apps provided developmental assistance in three key areas. First, they implemented our UI design into a self-service portal for our users to access their customer base, send emails, and analyze engagement metrics. Second, they programmed our Atmosfi page to redirect people to a specific ad network using geolocation. Third, they integrated SendGrid, Google Analytics, Braintree, and MongoDB to enhance the platform’s scope and functionality. They continue to advise and perform minor fixes as the platform gains traction.

We consistently worked with two or three developers depending on the urgency of the task.

How did you come to work with Squash Apps?

We searched for development firms via Upwork. Squash App’s communication and drive to improve stood out among the others included in our initial project trail.

Confidential.

We hired them in January 2016 and they continue to provide support.

There have been thousands of posts generated on our platform and our click metrics are over 2%, which is significantly high for industry standards. Our businesses also reported increased engagement from their own customers. Users find the platform’s fluid and intuitive design very friendly and accessible.

How did Squash Apps perform from a project management standpoint?

Their team is extremely proactive in finding alternatives or solutions to obstacles. They easily joined our company communication flow in Trello and Slack. Squash Apps understood our direction and asked for clarification when needed. The team provided daily progress updates and alerts for product testing.

Their communication skills were impeccable. They asked for critical feedback and quickly resolved any discrepancies. Issues with scheduling or timeline setbacks were promptly announced. Our platform made quick progress with their involved approach to collaboration.

They could improve on their ability to implement an existing UI design. We experienced a few difficulties translating our plan onto the platform.

Application Dev for Podcast Venture

“He’s been a pivotal part of the team and the buildout.”

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

Squash Apps developed a native iOS app to give podcasters the opportunity to get paid for their content using Shopify. They primarily developed the backend of the MEAN stack app using Express, Node, and Mongo.

Phil Mannle
Partner, 707 Ventures

Squash Apps successfully completed the app which is now available on the App Store. Their CEO and his expansive expertise contributed greatly to the app development. The team is patient and flexible, and communication is managed effectively. They offer strong value for affordable prices.

I’m a partner in 707 Ventures.

What challenge were you trying to address with Squash Apps Private Limited?

I’m a developer and had worked with a couple of developers that I wasn’t happy with. I did an in-depth search for another offshore agency to help us with developing a native iOS app.

We gave them a full overview of the architecture we were looking for through mock-ups and documentation. Primarily, they helped us develop the backend for the app. Our app is a MEAN stack app. We’re using Express, Node, and Mongo on the backend. It’s a podcasting app that allows podcasters to monetize their content. It includes an API to Shopify and on-demand and subscription content, and it’s a podcast player. We have a web app for managing content for podcasters. It’s an Angular app running on a Node Express backend. They set up our content integration framework using GitLab. We’re using Elasticsearch to instantly search millions of records.

We went through one or two developers because the first guy I was working with had to move for personal reasons. The transition was very smooth. Rad (CEO, Squash Apps Private Limited)brought the next developer up to speed. He facilitated working with multiple developers on the same project.

How did you come to work with Squash Apps Private Limited?

I found them on Upwork. I interviewed about 20 people including Rad. He had worked in Seattle and then moved back to India. His English is excellent, almost native. He understood what we were trying to do in depth. He had experience with speaking to clients like me from an agency or a corp-to-corp language level and understanding. He also had very deep technical knowledge. It’s difficult to find someone who is both a developer and can be front-facing client liaison, and he can definitely do both of those. He was also able to find solutions for me. I didn’t have to come up with everything.

Confidential.

We started working together in February 2017 and the work is ongoing.

The app just went live in the App Store. I’ve been very happy with their work as far as the development of the database and the search.

Rad knew how to set up GitLab for continuous integration and the architecture and best practice. He’s also an expert in search and he’s got e-commerce experience. I’m always looking for his input on architecture and strategy. He’s been a pivotal part of the team and the buildout.

How did Squash Apps Private Limited perform from a project management standpoint?

Primarily, I manage the development of the project. We have a Trello board that I throw tasks in and they accept those tasks and execute. Rad is able to step in if needed and take more control of that. They’ve been a pleasure to work with.

They send me a commit link and I review the code. If I have immediate feedback, I send it. I’ve also instructed them to test everything thoroughly before they ever send it to me. Sometimes I’ll still find things or it’ll be my fault that things don’t work because I haven’t set my configuration properly. There have been a couple of times where I’ve been stressed out or in a rush, and they’ve always been very patient with me.

If I had trouble with a developer in terms of communication or expectations, Rad facilitated communication. We get daily updates with links to what was done, the commit links in GitLab, questions, and the plan for the next day. He’s cc’d on everything and he’s almost always available on Slack. We also communicate via email. I can ask the developer questions directly. He’s not trying to shield his team from me because he’s worried about me stealing his team. There are none of those politics. He’s been a real pleasure and he’s very knowledgeable. I couldn’t recommend them highly enough.

They’re in a different time zone. Sometimes there are some late nights. Rad is usually available in the morning to follow up. If I plan ahead of time, he’s been available if we set up an appointment.

There was a point when we had to take a break while we searched for further investment, and that was no problem. He told us to let him know when we were ready to start again. We’ve since ramped back up. He pulled the previous developer we were working with off of another project and put her back on ours because she was already up to speed.

Rad communicates clearly and effectively. He steps in when necessary to guide the developers to see a successful execution.

They could improve with iOS native apps; they’re not set up to do them. They mostly do web and Android apps. They have one iPad, but they’re not set up with a suite of devices that they can test on. If they were going to do more native app development, having more devices to test on would be my only advice.

They come highly recommended. The more information you give them to work off of, the more you’re going to get.

Overall Score I’ve worked with offshore companies for 6–8 years, and it’s very difficult to find good ones that come at a reasonable price.
    They haven’t missed a deadline yet.
    They’re very reasonable. I may be able to find someone that’s less expensive but not with the same value.
    They’ve adjusted any time I had a request. They’re very nimble.

Web App Dev for Productivity Connection Platform

"[T]hey give me the feeling as if my project is the only project they're working on."

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

Building off an existing prototype, Squash Apps is using the MERN stack to develop a Progressive Web App that links the notes and calendar functions to increase user productivity.

Sydney, Australia
Frank Feustel
CEO, Shelly Apps

Still in beta, the working app already has 600 subscribers. While there were some minor delays, Squash Apps’s ability to adapt to and communicate about ever-evolving specifications helped them deliver a high-quality product. Their affordability makes them a valuable partner.

I’m the founder and CEO of Shelly Apps. We develop productivity software.

What challenge were you trying to address with Squash Apps Private Limited?

I work out of Australia and the costs for labor in software development are fairly high. I was trying to find good quality software engineers for a reasonable price.

Shelly App is an app for knowledge workers. The current iteration just basically links your notes directly with your calendar. We’re working on making it a platform that connects different existing work tools (email, calendar, notes, Trello, Slack) together. It will be vendor and platform agnostic as it brings all of those functions together in one place.

I had an existing prototype that I created with an agency in Australia. Squash’s first project was to convert the prototype into an actual application on a robust stack. They moved it to the MERN stack, and they also moved the database, server, and other infrastructure to AWS. Once that was done, they started working on functional enhancements in order to add additional capability. They used the MERN stack to create a progressive web app (PWA). Creating a native app in Android or iOS is costly, and we wanted to first validate the functionality of the product and keep the costs low. They built it so that we can use it as a web app but we can also later create native apps using React and React Native.

We started out with three developers/software engineers and we’re ramping up to six. We’re also working with one UX person, a project manager, and an account manager.

How did you come to work with Squash Apps Private Limited?

I was using Upwork for a few small projects in order to determine whether we should use an agency or work with individual contractors for the larger project. We decided it’s better for communication to work with an agency where the software engineers are co-located to each other. We looked at several agencies and gave them each small test projects. We decided on Squash because the quality was the highest, and they understood what we're trying to achieve with Shelly.

We’ve spent $50,000–$200,000.

The engagement began in November 2017 and work is ongoing.

The solution is live and in beta. We have around 600 subscriptions and we're working very closely with our beta customers. I'm really happy with Squash. The software engineers are very knowledgeable. Their background in math and computer science is mirrored in the high-quality work they’ve provided so far. They’re doing a lot to move my product forward.

I initially thought I’d have to do a lot of it myself, but they gave us a project manager for free when we hired the software engineers. Between the project manager and the account managers, they cover the whole project. Communication is really good; they’re based in India but their English is excellent. Slack is the main communication tool and then we have our sprint board on Trello. We also have regular phone calls. There’s a sprint meeting every week as well as a weekly project review meeting. We’re using lean methods with our beta tests, and they’re quite flexible in terms of changing requirements according to what our early users are saying.

They’re creating a good piece of software in a fairly short amount of time. I knew that the project costs would be lower than using an Australian agency, but I didn’t have high expectations for the quality of the work or the duration of the project. I couldn't really tell you the difference between the output of their software engineers and those I’ve worked with here. Also, the owner is my account manager and his team really takes care of my project. I don't know how many projects they have going on, but they give me the feeling as if my project is the only project they're working on.

The UX side of their business is quite new. While they're good at drafting a screen, creating a whole user experience is something they still need to grow and develop. I want to take more of an experimentation approach to UX design, which doesn’t really lend itself to working with a remote agency. So I will likely move that part of the work to a firm here in Australia.

Do a small trial project with them to see if you like their work and their communication style.

Overall Score My overall experience has been fantastic.
    The delays were within my contingency, which I consider to be good.
    The costs were low and the quality was high.
    Their standards are high and the results are really good.
    I would absolutely recommend them.

Mobile & Web Dev for School Community Platform

"We’ve been with them for a long time and are still a happy customer."

July 2016 - Ongoing

Squash Apps supplements in-house expertise to provide third-party coding services. For nearly two years, they’ve developed a platform with AngularJS that’s accessible via web, iOS, and Android.

Dallas, Texas
Michael Alvarez
CTO, Doodlio

Their agile workflows are very efficient and produce quality codes. The team is accessible and responsive to issues, whether technical or process-related. Squash Apps’ performance and openness to feedback make them a great partner for ongoing engagements.

I’m the CTO of Doodlio, a community management solutions provider for churches, schools, and sports leagues. Organizations use our product to manage members, contributions, and games.

What challenge were you trying to address with Squash Apps?

We needed help with software development because we didn’t have the in-house capacity.

We use Squash Apps for our client development projects on our platform. Our clients access the software via web and iOS and Android apps; the API is connected our backend without any other service integrations. They provide expertise and coding for our platform, which existed in a rudimentary state before the engagement started. The team works in agile and is currently transitioning from AngularJS to Angular 2. We’ve only used Squash Apps for coding, but may soon use them for design work as well.

The co-owner serves in an advisory role and discusses strategy with us every couple of weeks.

We usually have one developer assigned to our project, but we’re getting ready to increase the team to four resources. We don’t interact with any other roles.

How did you come to work with Squash Apps?

We interviewed about 12 companies via Upwork and liked what we heard from Squash Apps.

We’ve spent between $50,000–$100,000.

We started working with them in July 2016 and the relationship is ongoing.

Our velocity–processing our backlog in the agile workflow–is right where it should be. In addition to efficiency, the coding is high quality. The team is professional and addresses bugs immediately.

How did Squash Apps perform from a project management standpoint?

Our team does project management and uses Trello to track the backlog. We communicate with Squash Apps via email and phone calls; the latter is on either a nighty or weekly basis. I also have general catch-up calls with the co-owner every few weeks.

They’re very responsive via phone and email, especially when something’s not going the way we hoped.

No, because we’ve been with them for a long time and are still a happy customer.

Evaluate developers during the onboarding process and don’t be shy to voice concerns. We complained about one resource that wasn’t a good fit communication-wise and management replaced them in a responsive manner.

Their performance has been very good.
    I’d refer them without hesitation.