We build high performance Django and React apps

Mirumee specializes in high performance Django applications and e-commerce. We offer web development and support services for the companies around the world.

We have over eight years of experience in building beautifully designed scalable and maintainable web applications.

We love giving back, so we contribute to open-source as much as possible. We craft and maintain Saleor — an open-source e-commerce platform for perfectionists.

We believe it is our duty to support the community we are part of. This means both in active cooperation and in providing financial support. We proudly sponsor Django: Under the Hood and our developers are also often seen coaching at Django Girls.

Mirumee also supports Django Software Foundation via Corporate Membership.

Every month we organize Mirumee Talks — an engineering meetup that is free for everyone to come and enjoy. We love sharing what we know and what we are currently up to our in the techy trenches. Talk. Share. Learn.

Key technologies:

Wrocław, DO 53-601
    Poland

Lulu, Pretty Green, Assemblée Nationale of France, Sonato, Lifesize, Magrudy's

Web Development For Publishing Company

"It is a pleasure to work with them."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

Mirumee is collaborating to build the frontends of several APIs for placing book print orders. They also provide consultation on API improvement and structure maintenance.

Morrisville, North Carolina
Christoph Kepper
CTO, Lulu Press

Mirumee integrated well with multiple teams, delivered results quickly and reliably, and adapted easily to changes. The team was engaged and offered valuable recommendations on deployment flow changes and version management. They executed efficient project management and were responsive to feedback.

I am the CTO of Lulu. Since 2002, Lulu has powered the knowledge sharing economy by enabling authors in more than 225 countries and territories to publish nearly two million books and eBooks. Our industry-leading tools and global community help authors tell their story, publish it in printed or eBook format, then sell them in online bookstores around the world. At Lulu, authors are in control, owning the rights to their works, setting their own price and keeping up to 90 percent of their book profits.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mirumee?

We are in the process of re-writing our entire publishing platform and were looking for a team with strong front-end engineering and Python back-end engineering skills.

We have built a couple of RESTful APIs for ordering printed books. Mirumee was tasked with building a shop front-end for those APIs. This was their main objective in the last six months.

Mirumee had to work closely with our US and German teams. Given that our APIs were still very much work-in-progress, they did a wonderful job in dealing with the constant change. On top of that, they provided helpful feedback to the other teams which helped us to find bugs and improve the reliability of the platform.

They have been a very good addition to our team, and I must say I am impressed with the speed that they were able to deliver.

Lulu booked a team of five people: one designer, a senior developer/architect, and three front-end developers creating a single-page application in React.js.

How did you come to work with Mirumee?

I am based in Germany, and was looking for a team in my time zone. Poland is not too far from where I live, and I wanted to work with a team I could visit in a reasonable amount of time. After screening a couple of teams in Poland and doing phone interviews, I visited a few of the teams in person and spent a day with them before making the final decision. I picked Mirumee because they seemed to be the most capable of the ones I had screened.

We have spent $150,000—$200,000 at this point.

The project started in April 2017, and their work is currently ongoing. The initial project is almost finished although we keep extending the scope. We are planning to launch soon, and then will move on to other projects with Mirumee.

We had given them the task to create a preview service that allowed our customers to preview books in the browser. One part was to create a high-performance PDF preview renderer. They did a really good job creating this service, and we are planning to use it in other areas of our offerings as well. I was pleasantly surprised about the success of the project as it I didn’t expect a frontend team to deliver such a challenging back-end functionality.

How did Mirumee perform from a project management standpoint?

I really appreciate the comments and know-how of the senior manager of the team. He participated very actively in our architectural discussions and made a number of worthwhile contributions (e.g. about our deployment pipelines and our version management). They really know their stuff and are intimately familiar with the latest technologies. It is a pleasure to work with them.

We had a few issues in the beginning until they had adjusted to our reporting structures and with communication among teams. I was able to address those issues with the team and their CEO, and they were quickly resolved.

They have been really quick in responding to changes, and I really appreciated that.
    There are cheaper agencies, but I would question the quality. For me, quality and reliability were the most important, and Mirumee have really shined there.
    The only reason I wouldn’t recommend them, is because I want to work with them.

Subcontracted E-commerce Development for Creative Agency

"Mirumee is careful about considering requirements and constraints. We had honest and direct communication."

March 2013 - Ongoing

Mirumee was initially subcontracted for a high-profile, custom e-commerce development project. Since then, they have continued to be a development resource for large software development initiatives.

Sasha Vladimirskiy
Partner, Butchershop Creative

Mirumee's strength comes in their ability to deliver quality results and the competency of their team. With a single point-of-content on their team, communication has been streamlined and projects have been efficiently managed.

I’m one of the partners of a boutique creative agency. We focus on great graphic design, a seamless user experience, and bespoke software.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mirumee?

We had the opportunity to build an e-commerce website for a Silicon Valley technology incubator, one of the world's largest telecommunications companies. We had to bring to the European market three of the innovative products developed at the incubator. To do so, we leveraged Amazon fulfillment and cloud hosting infrastructure to sell and deliver the products in England, Germany, and Spain.

Mirumee developed an e-commerce site for us initially. They helped with the architecture design, implementation, testing, and deployment of the final product. We continue to work on other, larger software.

How did you come to work with Mirumee?

The tight deadlines and high visibility of the project dictated that we find a partner with existing experience in the space. We knew that the best way to find a company like that would be focusing on someone who has released their own open source, e-commerce web application.

I went out looking on GitHub for companies that were providing open-source development using the technologies I was interested in. I came across two options, including Mirumee. They had experience working with our language and had built products that others had reviewed, so there was a good chance that they would deliver consistently.

We started working with Mirumee in March 2013. The original project ended in January 2014. I still work with Mirumee.

Mirumee engineers collaborated with our design and frontend development teams to achieve the best results. They helped shepherd the process from ideas to the final product in record time and ensured the success of the project.

How did Mirumee perform from a project management standpoint?

I have continued to work with one of Mirumee’s senior engineers. Because I was handling project management on our end, and he was handling it on their end, we didn’t use any separate project managers. I used a couple of developers and another contractor on my end. It was great to have a single point of contact on Mirumee’s side who was competent and experienced enough to understand our system and divvy up the work. The actual complexities were hidden away from me. I simply knew that I was getting good results and that the client was happy.

What did you find most impressive about Mirumee?

We’ve established a good rapport. Mirumee has been my go-to contractor for the past five years.

Are there any areas Mirumee could improve?

There are factors like communication, which Mirumee is improving on a continuous basis. Whenever there was a disconnect, Mirumee worked with me in understanding where it was occurring and in improving it. Working with a team who is separated by thousands of miles from our own will lead to some differences in ideas. We’ve always worked on mitigating this, and Mirumee was open and empathetic to my feedback.

Overall Score From business leaders to junior developers, everyone is professional and caring.
    They had great communications skills in English, prompt response time, and a personable and caring approach.
    Stable software with a polished user experience deserves the highest marks.
    We plan to continue to work with them on current projects and to refer them to other companies.

E-Commerce Development for Collaboration Software Company

"Mirumee did what we asked for, and didn't slip in scope."

Nov. 2015 - Feb. 2016

Mirumee integrated Stripe payments into the existing website to create an e-commerce system, allowing for a subscription model.

Austin, Texas
CTO, Collaboration Software Company

Although the project was small, the deliverables were high quality and deadlines were consistently met. Mirumee went above and beyond, providing service after the project's completion.

We are a collaboration software company mainly focusing on video solutions. I am the CTO of the company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mirumee?

We wanted to add e-commerce ordering to our website. We had been selling everything through other channels until that time.

Mirumee made a small integration with our existing platform in order to create trial accounts. They built our subscription-based shopping cart model for ordering and created Stripe integration for payments.

How did you come to work with Mirumee?

I knew that I wanted a Python-based solution, and Mirumee had what seemed to be the best e-commerce platform using the technology.

We started working with Mirumee in November 2016. We've launched phase one after a three-month period, and are ramping-up for phase two. There were no problems in the initial portion of the development, so we are considering Mirumee for the ongoing work.

We didn't have any need for subsequent bug fixes, and there were no issues with the system. The only thing we've changed was a mail template, which we did ourselves.

After our contract with Mirumee had ended, one of our staging servers generated an alert. They reached out to us for help, regardless of any contracts being in play.

How did Mirumee perform from a project management standpoint?

Mirumee nailed every deadline.

What did you find most impressive about Mirumee?

Saleor, the e-commerce package which Mirumee supports and develops can provide the equivalent e-commerce functionalities of a Magento implementation which could have a six-figure cost.

Are there any areas Mirumee could improve?

This wasn't a long enough project for me to have any comments. Mirumee did what we asked for, and didn't slip in scope.

Mirumee has had to deal with a couple of scope changes. They gave us deadlines and stuck to them.
    Mirumee's work was a fifth of the cost, and 100% of the functionality.
    We've had no production issues.

E-commerce Development for Clothing Retailer

"We had daily communications [with Mirumee] which facilitated rapid and focused development."

Nov. 2015 - Ongoing

Mirumee was tasked with the development and design of an e-Commerce platform that was highly scalable and responsive.

Head of Digital, Clothing Retailer

Since launching their new platform, the site's response time has significantly improved. Mirumee has a highly skilled, passionate, and responsive team that is able to produce high-quality results.

We are a British menswear brand and retailer. We have stores and sell online. My role is looking after e-commerce, digital, and marketing.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mirumee?

We had been on a custom-built platform since launching the brand, and we had outgrown both the platform and the team who had built it. We experience frequent high peaks in traffic and we needed to ensure the website could deliver an optimal experience at all times.  We also needed to tightly integrate with the various other systems we rely on to operate our business.

Mirumee were tasked with an end to end full stack development project, including consolidating and updating our visual language to be consistent across the site. The support and feature development are ongoing.

How did you come to work with Mirumee?

One of their open source projects came onto my radar relating to e-commerce several years ago, and I started following their progress. When we came to start considering options for our replatform project we included them in the list of potential agencies. The further we got down the route of discussing options, the clearer it became they were a good match for us, leading to us appointing them for the project.

The engagement with Mirumee began in November 2015. The post-launch development is ongoing. We launched the site in mid-September 2016.

The response time of the website has improved dramatically. We’re down around the 1-second mark whereas previously we were 3.5-4 seconds on average. We've also been able to maintain that response time during extreme high-traffic. Previously this wouldn't have been possible. These speed improvements during peak times have had a massive impact on conversions, allowing people to buy seamlessly without any interference. Since launching the new website, there has been a marked increase in conversions and revenue. We’re really happy about it.

How did Mirumee perform from a project management standpoint?

They are accessible in the way that they work. It suited us to work closely with their development team and to have an Agile-based approach. We had daily communications which facilitated rapid and focused development.

What did you most impressive about Mirumee?

They’re a bunch of really clever guys. I liked them because they still are a relatively young company, and the people working there are genuinely passionate about what they do. Mirumee had various specialties in-house in order to build our AWS scaling infrastructure. They were excited about what they could do and how could do it.

Are there any areas Mirumee could improve?

Naturally, in a client-agency relationship, the estimation of tasks can always be better. There’s always that fine balance between a good price and a realistic amount of effort. I think that’s something that a lot of agencies struggle with. We are breaking new ground with our system and infrastructure which inevitably has it's risks. Managing these risks is a learning process and something Mirumee are committed to.

There’s always things to be improved in a learning process on both sides. That’s one of the things where they’re learning about dealing with a retailer like us or the size of a company like us, whereas a much bigger agency would have a tried and tested platform. There’s a degree of learning about the system that they’ve got and how to take the expertise and apply it to a commercial business and product.

Portal Development for Software Development Company

"I'm happy with the UX work done by Mirumee."

May - October 2016

Mirumee developed a portal for hosting services using ReactJS and MongoDB. They have also provided design elements.

Prague, Czech Republic
CEO, Software Development Company

The project was mostly done on budget and within deadlines, and Mirumee provided a pleasant working experience. Although there were minor communication issues, the overall project was successful.

I am the founder and CEO of a small software company based in the Czech Republic.

What challenge were you trying to address with Mirumee?

We wanted to build a portal for the users we'd be providing hosting services to.

Mirumee provided work for our project using ReactJS on the frontend and MongoDB on the backend. Mirumee has also provided UX and graphic design work on the portal, so the work was end-to-end.

How did you come to work with Mirumee?

We had been using one of Mirumee's products, overv.io, which is an issue tracking board. I wondered who created it and it turned out to be Mirumee. They are geographically close to our company, so I got in touch with them. We had been impressed by their previous UX work so I knew that Mirumee could deliver a great product.

How much have you invested with Mirumee?

The cost of our project with Mirumee was within the lower tens of thousands of dollars.

We started working with Mirumee in June 2016 and concluded in October.

The process was fine for 70% to 80% of the time. There were some occasional communication issues, but things generally worked well. The portal was delivered as we wanted and the graphics are interesting. I'm happy with the UX work done by Mirumee.

How did Mirumee perform from a project management standpoint?

We've had an Agile approach, so there were no large upfront specifications. We had regular meetings with Mirumee, including face-to-face visits every other week. The work was synchronized through GitHub mostly. Mirumee delivered on time and within budget 80% of the time.

What did you find most impressive about Mirumee?

I appreciate the effort of Mirumee's principal in trying to make things work. Working with him was a pleasant experience.

Are there any areas Mirumee could improve?

There were some technology challenges, given that this was the first project done by Mirumee with our particular approach. Getting used to the workflows took a bit more time, but our next project should run much better.