A design studio focused on brands + products

We are a small studio of creative humans based in Reno, Nevada and Brooklyn, NYC. We’re passionate towards creative strategy and developing experiences that empower people’s ideas and dreams. We strive to inspire our industry and the people we work with. We find greater vision through the cultivation of our craft and empathetic connection.

We work with the bold, the adventurous, and those with a story to tell. The clients and agencies we serve are those who tug at our heartstrings and inspire us.

Reno, NV

Patagonia, Bombora, Craftlog, Eight Sleep, NASA, Blackbird Go, French Gourmet

Coffeebar - Shopify eCommerce Image

Coffeebar - Shopify eCommerce

Custom theme development for our partners at Coffeebar.

Outlinx - Shopify Theme Image

Outlinx - Shopify Theme

Jahoe Farms Cannabis - Identity Image

Jahoe Farms Cannabis - Identity

Meet Jahoe Farms, a cannabis grow operation based in the Lake Tahoe, NV region. We helped create an out of this world vintage perspective and brand vibes to differientiate it's products from other medical cannabis brands.

Hungry Devils - Identity Image

Hungry Devils - Identity

Feed the beast. We partnered with Hungry Devils to design their identity and food truck.

Craftlog - Identity + UX/UI Image

Craftlog - Identity + UX/UI

Craftlog empowers users to make gorgeous how-to videos with their smartphone. We have partnered with Craftlog to strategize their customer experience, identity, website and app UI. We positioned them to be the Google Playstore App of the Year in 2018.

Deso Supply Co - SS19 Tear Sheet Image

Deso Supply Co - SS19 Tear Sheet

Deso Supply Co, is an eco-friendly cut-n-sew outerwear manufacturer. We partnered with them to make several illustrations and badges to accentuate their product offerings.

Let's sew something together, become a partner at: https://laxaltandmciver.co

Fresh Future - Identity + Packaging Image

Fresh Future - Identity + Packaging

Identity and packaging for Fresh Future, a startup focused on delivering local produce with an intuitive customer experience.

Big Data Institute - Identity Image

Big Data Institute - Identity

We repositioned Big Data Institute in it's 4th year of business to have a bold, dynamic and luxurious feel. As a thought leader in big data, we symbolized a parametric logo mark that was scalable and programmable to dynamically apply to various branded components.

Web Design for Jeweler

“They do a great job of communicating to make sure they nail down exactly what I need.”

Winter 2018 - Ongoing

Laxalt & McIver built an online jewelry customization and ordering platform from scratch. Together, they designed custom features and continue to collaborate on improvements to the website.

Reno, Nevada
Lindsay Knowlton
Jeweler, Honey&Goldies

The new website’s interactive features have significantly streamlined the steps necessary for securing customer purchases. Beyond the skill necessary to develop a website with so many specifications, Laxalt & McIver demonstrates the creative ability to take such projects to the next level.

I am a jeweler and I run my own jewelry business out of Reno, Nevada.

What challenge were you trying to address with Laxalt & McIver?

I had an old website, but I needed to move from only promoting my brick-and-mortar store to creating a site where my customers could have the experience of building their own piece of jewelry.

The goal was to reduce the need for my customers to email me with every question they had, but because of that, the website needed to be fairly complicated. I wanted it to include a lot of options for customizing jewelry and to be aesthetically pleasing as well.

We started on the platform Shopify, but Laxalt & McIver completely customized everything for me from there. They took the build-your-own options and not only designed the graphic for every section, but also built a spot for me to upload every stone option, every template I needed for metal color, size, and every other detail.

After that, they were able to set up payment capabilities and infrastructure. They continue to tweak the website as we go, adding features like QuadPay to the platform as I develop a need for them.

I started out working with 2–3 members of their team, but those numbers have doubled while I’ve been working with them. Now, they have someone working on each item, such as graphics, coding, and photography.

How did you come to work with Laxalt & McIver?

I contacted a few different companies, none of which seemed capable of producing very unique work. When I met with Laxalt & McIver, I knew that they shared a similar vision to mine. I was confident that they would be able to take my logo and my vibe and build something that I thought was really beautiful, and that was what was most important to me.

They charged an initial $5,000 to get the site going and since then have charged $150 per hour. Overall, we’ve spent around $8,000.

We started in Winter 2018 and are continuing to tweak things on the website, so my work with them is ongoing.

I’ve been very satisfied so far, and I’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback on the aesthetics of the site as well. I don’t track how people find the website or anything, but we have worked to find ways to make specific collections of rings or necklaces as visible as possible. It does feel like that’s had a positive effect.

How did Laxalt & McIver perform from a project management standpoint?

We collaborate closely on the project, which they are very good about. When we were starting out, I was very picky about some of the specific aesthetic choices we had to make.

We had a lot of meetings in the beginning because there was a lot they had to learn about how I run my business as well, but I think they did an amazing job given the frustrating circumstances. It has been definitely a learning experience for both of us. They do a great job of communicating to make sure they nail down exactly what I need.

I think that, as a whole, Laxalt & McIver just have an amazing eye. They bring something to the table that gives me a much more unique website than what I could have gotten elsewhere. I appreciate that they took the time to add the extra features that really make people comment on how cool the website is.

The only thing I would comment on is the length of time it took to make the whole site. Like I said, their team grew quite a bit in the amount of time I was working with them, so I think that part of it was just having a lot going on and not enough people to cover it, but it was definitely worth the wait.

Web App Development for Cannabis Dispensary

“Laxalt & McIver underpromised and oversold, providing great value.”

Sept. 2018 - Jun. 2019

Laxalt & McIver built a cross-platform web app for a cannabis dispensary. They developed the backend with React.

Reno, Nevada
Eric Knorr
CTO, Sierra Well

The app hasn’t launched yet, but internal stakeholders were pleased with Laxalt & McIver’s team coordination and ability to narrow the project scope. They’re an adaptable partner that exhibits both programming expertise and creative excellence. They adhered to the schedule and contract guidelines.

I’m the chief technical officer at Sierra Well, a vertically integrated cannabis company.

What challenge were you trying to address with Laxalt & McIver?

My company was looking for a new way to present cannabis as a product without being overly abrupt about it. On the site, we wanted to give users enough conduits to contact us and to make the menus easier to order from.

Laxalt & McIver created a cross-platform web app. They built the backend with React.

My team worked with two developers, Peter (CEO and Creative Director, Laxalt & McIver), and Matthew (Creative Partner and COO, Laxalt & McIver).

How did you come to work with Laxalt & McIver?

Our marketing director had previously worked with Laxalt & McIver and recommended them.

My company spent between $25,000–$50,000.

Our work together lasted from September 2018–June 2019.

We haven’t received any user feedback because we’re just preparing to deploy the app. However, our internal team enjoyed working with Laxalt & McIver.

How did Laxalt & McIver perform from a project management standpoint?

Laxalt & McIver was flexible; even when we changed the scope of the project, they quickly adapted and still came out ahead of it. They provided itemized and detailed logs about their work and progress, which helped me with several tasks, such as paying bills. We communicated via email and phone.

The scope of what we wanted was initially very broad, and we were amazed that they were able to narrow it down. Laxalt & McIver underpromised and oversold, providing great value. They did everything we asked for them to do and more.

We were also impressed by their creativity in programming. When we met to discuss the project, they were able to make changes as we were talking about them, and then show us the deliverable in the moment.

No, I’m 100% happy with the project that they did for us.

Don’t be afraid to engage. If something isn’t going in the direction that you want it to, be clear and upfront about it.

They met every guideline and schedule requirement that was specified in the contract.
    Services can always be more cost-effective, but they can’t always be better.

UX/UI and Product Dev for Grocery Service

"Their skills are so broad, but they're also deeply knowledgeable..."

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

Laxalt & McIver designed a mobile app’s UX and UI to serve as a grocery shopping solution. They managed a comprehensive process including sketching, protoyping, animation, and branding.

San Francisco
Rafael Sanches
CEO, Craftlog

The app was recognized as a leader in the “Daily Companion” category by the Google Play store. Laxalt & McIver was open to alternative approaches and brought an impressive flexibility to the engagement. Their ability to combine creativity with efficiency was particularly notable.

Anycart is a grocery shopping assistant. For example, taking the home cooking user base, we allow anyone to just write the name of a dish and we will add all ingredients to the shopping cart. My position is Founder and CEO.

For what projects/services did your company hire Laxalt & McIver?

UI, UX, and product development.

People go to the grocery store and buy over $200 easily. Yet, when they try to shop groceries online, they struggle to spend more than the $30 minimum fee.

They are the best one-stop-shop in NYC and Reno. Their Dribbble page clearly shows that. Having the opportunity to work in person with Peter & Team has been a truly amazing and humbling experience.

It's always much faster to iterate on ideas with them. We estimate it's 20 times more productive and we achieve our goals much faster. Their holistic view of design allows us to think and rethink beautiful design, animations, and branding while also being super fast and productive. Their sketching and prototyping skills are the best I've ever seen.

We are 5 engineers and one product person (also an engineer).

We started working on our app in January 2018 and by April we were featured in the Google Play store. In July we have been selected in the Google Play awards as the best daily companion of 2018. They only select four apps as "best of" every year.

Extremely easy to communicate with and open to trying new things, which has been extremely refreshing and fun. We talk about what we want to accomplish, do quick prototypes, and then commit to a direction and make it look amazing.

I was blown away by their capability to quickly provide value. Their skills are so broad, but they're also deeply knowledgeable, so they've truly driven change in our company and users.

I truly wish they created a branch in the Bay Area, though their Reno branch is close enough that it makes very easy for us.