A Digital Marketing Agency Built on Transparency

We’ve been in the digital space since its infancy. In fact, we’ve been doing paid search longer than Google has! In the late 90s, our founders helped form the first search engine marketing team at W.W. Grainger, the nation’s largest distributor of industrial supplies and a pioneer of e-Commerce.

Our key to success is hard work and a smart approach to digital media. We know paid search, paid social and other media - it's what we do on a daily basis. We understand what it takes to create and manage a successful paid media campaign and that almost always includes working with our client partners to formulate that right approach and to really understand our goals and objectives. It's so important that we all work together to achieve success.

We have a very stable, highly skilled team of experts that people enjoy working with and you will too.

2005

• Office Designs
  • diamondLife
  • Montage Hotels

SEM for Office Furniture Retailer

"We work with them closely….[T]hey've really tried to help our business."

June 2015 - Ongoing

KeywordFirst manages Google AdWords and PPC for online office furniture sales with the goal of increasing online and call center traffic.

Chicago Metro Area
CEO, Office Services Company

The AdWords account has been cleaned up and optimized. The team has worked well despite changing website platforms and a new Net Suite enterprise system. KeywordFirst demonstrated knowledge and concern for the project’s success.

We specialize in selling high-end office furniture online. We also offer space planning layout and design services for small to mid-sized businesses across the United States.

I am the President of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with KeywordFirst?

We needed help in cleaning up and better structuring our Google Ad Words account, as well as optimizing our pay per click campaigns on Google and Bing, in order to improve our online traffic, as well as the traffic that goes to our call center.

KeywordFirst manages our Google Ad Sense and Bing Ad accounts. We also use product listing ad services, so most of our efforts are centered on pay per click.

How did you come to work with KeywordFirst?

We looked at a number of different firms. KeywordFirst was recommended to me by a member of an organization of which I am a member, called Young Presidents' Organization. This came during a transition period in which we didn't have an internal manager for pay per click services. We decided to let KeywordFirst come in, evaluate, and restructure our account. We would then make a decision on moving forward.

The total annual cost for their services is above $1,000,000.

We haven't determined if we will continue our collaboration. We kicked-off with a one year agreement which will end within the next quarter. There is a new vice president of marketing which will be brought into our company. He has a great marketing background and will be left in charge of making a decision regarding our accounts and how well-optimized they are. It will be a good time for reassessment.

Their work has been successful in many ways. KeywordFirst has cleaned up our account and allowed us to have better visibility by keyword, as well as giving us a better way to optimize at a detailed level. Now that we're trying to optimize our campaigns based on phone calls, as this will potentially drive more revenue to our company, a lot of our marketing efforts will not be tracked in Google Analytics. We're thus in need of an agency that is able to optimize and truly understand our business. This is what our new vice president will be tasked with.

We've recently launched a new website on a Magento platform, putting in an enterprise resource planning in Net Suite. We've introduced a lot of change in our business, so any metrics are hard to determine.

How did KeywordFirst perform from a project management standpoint?

We work with them closely. Because of our Young Presidents' Organization connection, they've really tried to help our business.

What distinguishes KeywordFirst from other providers?

We offer design and space planning services as well as selling furniture. It came as a nice surprise to find out that, down the road, KeywordFirst outfitted their whole office with our furniture. This has happened with a few other vendors we've used. I appreciate this because it tells me that, not only do we understand how their business works, but KeywordFirst has actually put their money where their mouth was and bought our services. This creates an interesting dynamic to our relationship.

Is there anything KeywordFirst could have improved or done differently?

Every business is different. Ours is difficult in terms of the phone lead element. A big piece of our revenue comes this way, making it very hard to track. One phone call can be worth $1,000 while another can be worth much more or less. Our vice president of marketing has to be kept in check in this sense. We have learned this as a group in general. We have to swing back and forth between phone and web revenue in order to measure their effectiveness.

SEM for Home Improvement Company

"It's been nice to know that we can have a partner that will adapt to us and not charge extra for every little item."

Mar. 2014 - Ongoing

KeywordFirst targeted Google, Yahoo, and Bing for SEM campaigns to increase leads and traffic to a home improvement website. The team also works on Facebook content creation and advertising.

Director of Digital Marketing, Home Improvement Company

The project nearly doubled the website’s leads, and the marketing budget has been used very efficiently. Since KeywordFirst is a small team, there has been some responsiveness issues. However, the team is very flexible and willing to try new approaches and strategies.

We deal in home improvement, specifically outdoor living upgrades like paver stones and artificial turf.

I am the Digital Marketing Manager. I am in charge of the company's visual channels, including social media, paid search engine optimization [SEO], email campaigns, and so forth.

What business challenge were you trying to address with KeywordFirst?

We needed help with paid search management. Our objective is to get leads and quality traffic to our website.

KeywordFirst manages all of our paid search accounts on Google, Yahoo, and Bing, as well as our Facebook ads.

How did you come to work with KeywordFirst?

When I came on board one year ago, my company was already working with KeywordFirst.

The annual budget managed by KeywordFirst is between $200,000 and $500,000.

My company has been working with them for around two years. We evaluated the success of KeywordFirst's work back in November of 2015. I found them to still be the right partner for us, so we will be working through to the end of 2016.

I am satisfied with their services. It's hard to argue with what the numbers tell us. Last year, KeywordFirst helped us to nearly double the amount of leads which we were able to acquire. Our marketing budget did double during that time, but it was spent effectively through their efforts. Our budget has traditionally gone up by 95% each year, which has led to more conversions at a lower cost per conversion. These are the two metrics through which I've primarily judged their performance.

How did KeywordFirst perform from a project management standpoint?

They are a small team, which has to be taken into consideration. Because they manage multiple accounts, we sometimes have to be persistent in getting our message across.

There were times in which I've had to spend more time in conversations with KeywordFirst in order to get the answers that I needed. It depends on how each client manages their vendors, but overall, they've been easy to work with.

What distinguishes KeywordFirst from other providers?

They are a very flexible company. We've tested a handful of new programs, including retargeting platforms and social media advertising. KeywordFirst has adopted them well and did all the heavy lifting for us. It's been nice to know that we can have a partner that will adapt to us and not charge extra for every little item which we want to test. They are team players and seem to want to see us succeed. KeywordFirst is willing to do whatever it takes in order to accomplish their goal, for the most part.

Is there anything KeywordFirst could have improved or done differently?

There have been times in which I would have wanted to have more recommendations and feedback from them. Although they are generally flexible, I wish they'd also be more proactive. They're not very inclined to say no to a bad idea.

Depending on the way in which the client operates, KeywordFirst may need to be coached more than average, especially when trying out new campaigns or ideas. They are more than willing to give things a shot, but do need to be micromanaged at times. This is the downside of working with a team outside the company office. As satisfied as we are with them, there is room for improvement. Approaching KeywordFirst with this in mind will help their clients in the long-term. They get the job done and are smart people. Compared to other paid search management vendors with which I've had experience, I'd rate KeywordFirst with a 7/10.

Paid Search Management for Greeting Card Retailer

"I've been very happy with what KeywordFirst brought to the table."

$1,000,000 - $9,999,999

KeywordFirst increased gift card revenue generation through PPC marketing. The team's sole metric is based on the advertising cost to revenue ratio in this ongoing relationship.

eCommerce Manager, Greeting Cards Retailer

KeywordFirst successfully halved the advertisement cost to revenue ratio. The team makes sure that they get up to date every morning on project completion and next steps. They were easy to work with overall and the engagement will continue into the foreseeable future.

We're a primary and secondary gift card company.

I'm the director of e-commerce.

What business challenge were you trying to address with KeywordFirst?

We needed additional revenue generation.

KeywordFirst provide PPC marketing administration for us.

How did you come to work with KeywordFirst?

I inherited the agency from a co-worker. At the time, we were working with another agency for a different business which I run. I was happy enough with the work done by KeywordFirst and their in-house talent, and decided not to make a switch to the other agency.

The annual cost for their services is between $2,000,000 and $4,000,000.

I've been working with them for six months. The relationship is ongoing and I have no plans to stop.

I've been satisfied with their services. Results are measured on a marketing cost versus revenue return basis; in other words, cost divided by revenue. Over the last year, since KeywordFirst has taken over, they've halved this percentage.

At the end of the day, we have a revenue goal tied to marketing costs. Revenues generated through KeywordFirst have had a marketing cost of below 7% over the last five months. Last year, when the program was being run in-house, the average was around 12-14%.

How did KeywordFirst perform from a project management standpoint?

I work in the West Coast and appreciate that their team is two hours ahead of us. This gives them a little time to get things done before we come in in the morning. This is positive for making adjustments and creating new ad groups.

What distinguishes KeywordFirst from other providers?

I like the fact that they're not based in San Francisco or New York. This gives me a more devoted team compared to a larger-scale agency. We're a big fish in a small pond for KeywordFirst. The alternative would be to be a small fish in a big pond.

Is there anything KeywordFirst could have improved or done differently?

The reporting system they've migrated to requires having to pull reports manually. It can be a little annoying to me as a client, but it's a minor complaint.

Overall Score I've enjoyed working with them and they've taken my past experiences into consideration when working on my account. I've been very happy with what KeywordFirst brought to the table.
    I wouldn't be giving this review otherwise.

Search Engine Marketing for Luxury Resort Company

"They excel in attention to detail and are personally invested in our success."

May 2013 - Ongoing

KeywordFirst provides PPC services for a luxury hotel chain. The project’s goals are to drive direct online bookings and increase brand recognition in this 3-year long ongoing engagement.

Marketing Director, Resort Group

KeywordsFirst often exceeds project goals. The team has gotten involved in day-to-day activities and understands the hospitality industry very well. They have a constant, stable team that is responsive and clear. Any employee turnover has been managed extremely well.

We are a luxury hotel and resort company with five locations across the United States. We are currently building a location in Cabo San Lucas as well.

I am the digital marketing manager. I oversee our revenue efforts online.

What business challenge were you trying to address with KeywordFirst?

We've used their services in order to drive online bookings. We want to encourage guests to book directly with us instead of using an online travel agency like Expedia or Booking.com. Brand awareness was another consideration, since we are a smaller group.

KeywordFirst provides PPC services for us.

How did you come to work with KeywordFirst?

They were an existing vendor when I started working for my company. I don't have information about how they were found.

The annual cost of their services is between $200,000 and $1,000,000.

We've worked with KeywordFirst for almost three years. We have no plans to stop the collaboration.

Every year, we adjust our goals. KeywordFirst has been great in making sure that we meet those goals or even exceed our forecasts. This has already happened this year, which is great.

How did KeywordFirst perform from a project management standpoint?

One of the things I like most about KeywordFirst is that we have a partnership. Their team is very involved in day-to-day activities and understands how the travel and hospitality industry works, especially given that our price point is higher than average. Our average room cost is over $1,000 per night, so commitment to our services is a significant step for a client. Also, given the seasonality of our locations, KeywordFirst has focused on where we could optimize and what the competing campaigns against our company are. They excel in attention to detail and are personally invested in our success.

What distinguishes KeywordFirst from other providers?

Some agencies constantly bounce clients around between account representatives. This has never happened with KeywordFirst. They rarely have new people show up, and never push us to someone else because our previous contact thought they could get a better assignment. I can call them any time and they will answer the phone. They email me right back. I never got lost within their organizational hierarchy.

Is there anything KeywordFirst could have improved or done differently?

The account manager who was overseeing our project left the organization in November, 2016. A new team member came on board and the transition process was actually great. There was an understandable learning curve, but not an excessive one.

They took ownership of making sure that our transition was smooth, and that we were still hitting goals and collaborating efficiently. This is more of a compliment on how they handle change than a suggestion for improvement.

I don't like to give straight fives.

Paid Search for Retail Website

"Their learning process has been continuous, and they've never taken the one-size-fits-all approach for us."

Oct. 2014 - Ongoing

KeywordFirst helped to the maximize advertisement investment of an online storage retailer by managing paid search services and social media marketing.

Pittsburgh Metro Area
CEO and Founder, Retail Website

The project has visibly increased revenue. The team is knowledgeable, humble, and has minimal employee turnover. KeywordFirst put in the effort to understand the business and target demographics before beginning the project, which has helped enormously.

We are an online store. Most of our products are manufactured by our company, centering on storage and organizational items.

I am the brand director, founder, and the developer of all our products.

What business challenge were you trying to address with KeywordFirst?

We wanted to increase our earnings while either maintaining costs or proportionally increasing them along with our revenues.

KeywordFirst provide paid search services. We're also starting work on social media marketing.

How did you come to work with KeywordFirst?

We did an extensive Google search, vetting various agencies. KeywordFirst were directed to me specifically by a much larger agency that only took on big companies, working on projects worth millions of dollars. We were too small for them, so that company's vice president recommended KeywordFirst.

We spend close to $2,000,000 per year on their services.

We've been working with KeywordFirst since October 2014. Our work is ongoing, with no plans to stop.

Their work has been successful. We always want results to be better, but KeywordFirst are knowledgeable and are very easy to work with. Unlike the people in many other agencies, they're humble. KeywordFirst are not too confident or arrogant to have a conversation and learn. The key requirement for their business is knowing the product inside and out. Not everything is a simple yellow band, red apple, tennis shoe, and so on. Our products are especially complicated, so knowing all the nuances of our target demographic and product is the key to success. KeywordFirst have had to learn all of this and did a good job of it. Their learning process has been continuous, and they've never taken the one-size-fits-all approach for us. Our revenues have increased proportionally to our spend increase to a satisfactory level.

How did KeywordFirst perform from a project management standpoint?

They are, from top to bottom, humble and easy to work with people. I never was moved around to many different people for different tasks. They have a small organization giving personal service. A client can talk to the same people every time. The people who handle my account have been the same for a year and a half. During my work with other, larger agencies, the account managers seem to change over. This equates to starting again with someone new who has to learn everything again. This learning process is the biggest challenge we face. It's not always done at the choice of the agency, but it still means starting over from scratch.

What distinguishes KeywordFirst from other providers?

KeywordFirst seems to be very stable. They haven't had much team turnover in the past couple of years. Even though we're based in Chicago and they're in Pittsburgh, they've flown out to meet with me, which showed me their commitment.

Is there anything KeywordFirst could have improved or done differently?

I don't have an obvious answer to this question, which means that KeywordFirst have done everything pretty well.

Search Engine Marketing for Agency

"Their reporting is dead-accurate all the time; they don't miss deadlines and respond well to constructive criticisms."

Mar. 2013 - Ongoing

KeywordFirst performed SEM, display advertising, and retargeting for an online stock media marketplace. The team worked on an initial restructuring of the account when brought on to the project.

Denver Metro Area
Consultant, Marketing Agency

The team is very practical and works to make all structures intuitive. KeywordFirst has delivered the project goals in a professional and consistent manner. They excel at reporting accurate information and have high technical proficiency.

We are a stock media marketplace selling photos, videos, and motion graphics to people who are working on creative projects. We've been in business for ten years.

I am in charge of business intelligence, marketing, and analytics.

What business challenge were you trying to address with KeywordFirst?

We needed an outside expert to manage the complicated aspects of our search engine optimization [SEO] strategy.

KeywordFirst is our main agency for SEM, display advertising, and retargeting.

How did you come to work with KeywordFirst?

They came recommended to one of my colleagues.

The annual cost of their services is around $50,000.

We started working with them three years ago. We work with KeywordFirst on an ongoing format.

When we first started working with KeywordFirst, they did a good job of restructuring the account. They're very good at coming up with an intuitive structure for managing the account tightly, without the need of too many ad groups. They're also very practical. I've seen some people in the past build accounts in very convoluted and hard-to-manage ways. KeywordFirst has a pragmatic approach of minimizing ad groups and keywords, and sticking to something which can be understood and managed.

I think that any company promising to double or triple marketing results is going to be selling smoke and mirrors. KeywordFirst has done a good, professional job of managing our account and keeping it within +/- 10% of its optimal efficiency. When reaching a certain point, it's hard to determine whether the marketing effort should be increased or decreased by a certain amount. We've done exercises in order to determine what the efficient frontier of our budget is, with different results every time.

How did KeywordFirst perform from a project management standpoint?

In three years of collaboration, they never cancelled a call on me. They've had a consistent team available for us. I've only worked with four or five people throughout our collaboration. Two of them are still there. Their reporting is dead-accurate all the time; they don't miss deadlines and respond well to constructive criticisms. When working with a vendor, if the client doesn’t have to think too much, it means that the partner is doing a good job. Whenever you start noticing things, it will be because something went wrong. KeywordFirst has made my life easier because I've had to do less thinking.

What distinguishes KeywordFirst from other providers?

They have a good sense of attribution and conversion values. Their technical proficiency is above-average. KeywordFirst doesn’t simply look at how much they can get the client to spend. It's easy to be taken for a ride in this field, but they've never done that.

Is there anything KeywordFirst could have improved or done differently?

I look at our collaboration keeping in mind that I'm a professional as well. Had I been naïve about it, it would have been a different experience. I think that KeywordFirst has done a reliable job over the years, and for all the flaws I've seen in them, most things have gone correctly. Whenever we changed the account structure in a significant way and something went wrong, it was caught quickly. That's okay in my point of view. It's part of the game. We wouldn't have continued to work with them if they were different.

If the client is coming off of a bad collaboration with a digital agency, KeywordFirst will definitely do a good job. If the client is simply looking for someone to manage and grow an account, they'll also do a great job. Everything depends on the situation: if a company has a mature account that has been well-managed, KeywordFirst will continue to do a good job managing it. Very few people can take an account that is doing well and make it do extraordinarily well. It's simply not how it works.

Search Engine Marketing for Suddenlink Communications

"I find their personal attention, value proposition, and acumen specialty to be second to none."

KeywordFirst provides keyword SEM for cable operations with the goal of building customer relationships. The team works mainly with Google AdWords in this long-term and ongoing relationship.

St. Louis Metro Area
Director of Marketing and Sales, Suddenlink Communications

The personal attention and detailed work that KeywordFirst provides is second to none. The team provides great value with a much lower cost per acquisition than other agencies. They also have demonstrated staff stability, which has helped with the project's overall success.

Suddenlink Communications is a cable operator within 19 states across the US.

I am the Chief Marketing and Sales Officer of the company.

What business challenge were you trying to address with KeywordFirst?

We wanted to build customer relationships.

They almost exclusively provide keyword search engine marketing. We work with Google Ad Words.

How did you come to work with KeywordFirst?

I've used them for a number of years. I've been a customer of theirs since before they were called KeywordFirst. I worked with them for a different company and maintained our relationship, using them as my search engine agency of record when I moved to be the Chief Marketing Officer at a different company. When I took my position at Suddenlink, I once again brought KeywordFirst with me.

The annual cost of their services is between $200,000 and $1,000,000.

Our work is ongoing. We have no plans to stop.

I am very satisfied with their work. I find that the personal attention, as well as the attention to detail that KF provides, is second to none. The primary reason for using KeywordFirst is the value they provide. KeywordFirst doesn't have the overhead found in larger agencies, and I don't feel that the people responsible for my account rotate as often.

How did KeywordFirst perform from a project management standpoint?

They have a very consistent team that doesn’t change over the years. It’s easy to work with them because I don’t have to train new account managers or developers.

Is there anything KeywordFirst could have improved or done differently?

Their cost per thousand clicks is far better than any other offer within the industry.