We Design Experiences, Not Just Apps

FreshWorks Studio is an award winning Victoria & Vancouver based firm working in the space of Digital Transformation and specializes in designing & developing mobile & web apps. We are progressively working in the domain of Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain development.

By following agile methodology, FreshWorks has an impressive record of delivering exceptional mobile apps on time and within budget. The quality of our deliverables and how we closely we collaborate with our clients are the main drivers behind this. Clients are encouraged to pop in or call to chat to see the latest builds for feedback. During these times, we collaborate with the client and share what we’ve learned in our impromptu discussions and offer great enhancements or additions to their vision.

FreshWorks have seen their innovative model translated into positive press highlighting the development capabilities and the incredible story of the founders. FreshWorks have been featured in CTV Vancouver Island, Times Colonist, BC Tech Strategy, BC Gov News, Daily Hive and University of Victoria.

101-736 Broughton Street
    San Francisco, CA 94107
    (415) 218-3804

1. BC Services Card App for MTICS

2. ConnectVictoria for City of Victoria

3. Parking Garage App (AirBnB of parking)

4. PetComm

5. BCHighways

Ziggie - E commerce platform

Ziggie provides a curated marketplace for customers, suppliers and social impact partners. One can open a "Changemaker Account" which means every purchase generates 5 – 20% of the retail price to their personal account called “My Changemaker Account”.

By opening "Changemaker Account", one can direct these funds to any number of worthwhile causes offered by the social impact partners to improve lives.

Livecare Connect - Virtual clinic for doctors and patients

Livecare Connect™ Telehealth Platform can improve a clinic’s practice efficiency, patient satisfaction & schedule flexibility. Connect provides a high-quality, easy to use video conferencing platform that can integrate smoothly into any healthcare practice.

The app (web, iOS, Android) is simple and intuitive interface that allows users to schedule a visit and uses Oscar EMR plugin for integrated scheduling and visit documentation. A medical grade, high definition video provides the clearest images. It fulfills national healthcare security standards (PIPA & FIPAA Compliant).

BCHighways app for BC MOTI using open511

BCHighways app is a traffic and driving-condition reporting app for BC Highways. Before you leave home, it shows you about issues on your route and live feeds from webcam.

By using information gathered from DriveBC open 511, BCHighways app helps you avoid driving issues and gets you to where you’re going safely with informative, real-time updates.

The completely free app is available on iPhone, iPad, Android phones & tablets, Apple Watch and Apple TV.

BC Services Card app for MTICS

Under the IDIM program, FreshWorks (AirSenze Solutions) was chosen as a sub-contracting firm to develop the app. The app’s scope includes highly-secure authentication using OpenID Connect, barcode scanning, secure keychain access, JWT signing, RS256 encryption and Apple’s Touch ID to verify the identity of the user. Once the user has been identified, they’re automatically logged into the BC Services Account. Once the card has been added to the app, it is securely saved to the device for future logins using Apple’s Touch ID.

Garage Parking (AirBnB of Parking)

Garage is a Shared Parking App (iOS, Android, Web) that lets you rent your parking spot when you are not using it. Listing your parking spot is as easy. The parking owners adds an address and upload a picture of the spot. Then, they can choose the price they want to charge for their spot on an hourly, daily, weekly or monthly basis.

For renters, the app shows all available parking spots near their area. They can book the spot ahead of time and can make payments using your credit card (STRIPE integration).

Use parking spot when you need it. Make money when you don't.

City of Victoria App

The City of Victoria app is the beginning of an era of Smart City and will make it easier for Victoria residents to access a variety of City information from their mobile device.

The app lets the residents of Victoria to submit service requests directly from the app. They can simply take a picture, provide description and use device's inbuilt GPS locator to create the service request and submit it to the relevant department in the city.

PetComm App

An App for the Pet Community

PetComm was created for pet lovers like you, as a place to expand your community in a safe and fun environment. PetComm is for connecting, sharing and educating, helping you have the best possible pet ownership experience.

www.petcomm.ca

Marketplace Web & Android App for Car Wholesalers

“[Our project manager] is great at bridging the gap between development and the more creative aspects of the project.”

Jan. 2017 - Ongoing

FreshWorks designed and created an e-commerce web app and accompanying mobile app for Android. Key features include automated data population, two-way communication, and support for auction-style sales.

Susan Else
Founder, Revvd Up

The apps are still in QA testing, but initial feedback has commended the simplicity and ease of use. Effective communication and stellar project management made them an ideal partner for clients with limited development experience.

I designed a mobile app to assist in the wholesale car industry. The app serves as an easy way for car wholesalers to load their cars onto a web app with photos, specs, etc. and sell inventory to buyers. I’m the founder of this campaign.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks?

I planned the foundations of the design and came to them with an idea, but needed help on the execution. Creating the app myself would have been too time consuming, and I wanted to devote that time to building out the idea and making the best product possible. This was my first time working with a web development company.

They led all aspects of technical development, and worked with me to finalize my ideas throughout the course of the project. The idea started as a way to help wholesalers with uploading inventory to their own platforms, but after further discussion with FreshWorks, we decided to go with more of a sales platform. The app now integrates with sellers’ sites, and offers two-way communication between sellers and buyers. The initial scope included the web app and an accompanying Android app, and we’ll look to create an iOS app moving forward.

A key feature of the app involves the explosion of vehicle identification numbers (VIN), which allows buyers and sellers to enter a VIN number and receive pertinent data and information on the specific vehicle. Since the information from the VIN explosion service isn’t always 100% accurate, we had to add in a feature that allows sellers to go in and edit vehicle information as necessary, and add any information that wasn’t included. Once the information is complete, sellers can choose how they’re looking to sell the vehicle. Options include selling directly to specific sellers, choosing a list of sellers, or selling in an open auction.

I work primarily with Tristan [Senior Account Manager, FreshWorks], but Samarth [CEO, FreshWorks] and Rohit [COO, FreshWorks] were more involved in the beginning of the project.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks?

I had conversations with a tech-savvy friend of mine, and he suggested considering offshore developers in India or Eastern Europe. After researching a few groups, I determined that my scope of work was more complex than what they were accustomed to working on. Most of their prior work was comprised of photo-posting interfaces with no integration capabilities and no communication tools.

I ended up choosing to find a developer in Canada, and started my search again. I found FreshWorks listed on Clutch, and chose to go with them. They were based in Victoria, which made it very easy for me to meet with them if questions or concerns came up. This was very helpful throughout the development process.

Around $50,000 total.

We connected in December of 2016, and the work started in January of last year. The mobile app and web app are complete, and we’re approaching completion on a landing page that allows users to sign in.

It’s currently still in the testing phase, but we’ve already gotten great feedback on the app’s usability. We’re marketing to an older audience that isn’t necessarily tech-savvy, so we made sure that the app’s interface is very simple and user-friendly. We’ll begin to gather more solid metrics after the app’s official launch.

How did FreshWorks perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very receptive when I approach them with updates or new ideas. It’s been a lengthy process of development with input from both sides, and they’ve always been very accommodating on any changes I’ve requested. They have a great structure for input on the functionality of the app, and they’ve communicated effectively throughout the project. Tristan is always available via phone or email, and has been great in keeping me updated on the project. We used Google Docs and Dropbox to exchange information, and they used InVision on their end for prototyping and task management.

Tristan [Senior Project Manager, FreshWorks] has been a very effective communicator, and is great at bridging the gap between development and the more creative aspects of the project. Whenever he was going to be unavailable, he would connect me with someone else on the team, and they’ve all been great to work with as well.

My view of simplicity within the app wasn’t always aligned with the developers, but Tristan was very effective in working through those differences and ensuring the quality of the end product. There were sometimes gaps in understanding during the planning phases, but again, this wasn’t a major obstacle, because Tristan mediated effectively and made sure we were all on the same page.

Overall Score As my first experience with web development, FreshWorks was great to work with.
    There were some minor delays, but they were due to issues on both sides.

Development of Real Estate iOS App

“They always over-deliver in terms of time, design, product, and quality.”

Sept. 2017 - Ongoing

FreshWorks Studio is building an application to show all new construction developments in real-time. The marketing and search tool contains searchable data and includes features such as notifications and mapping.

Tyra Sauriol
Founder, ShowHome

The people who checked out the preliminary version gave positive feedback about the appearance and the value of the app. The team does a great job of working with people who aren’t tech experts and making them feel comfortable in the tech space. They’re trustworthy listeners who get the job done.

I’m the founder of ShowHome. It’s an app used to locate all new construction developments in real-time. When buyers are out searching for a presale home, they’re able to find them all in one convenient location. Alternatively, the platform allows the people who are listing the homes such as the developers and marketing companies to do real-time updates that are real estate focused. Users will be able to find all of the sites, projects, or upcoming projects all in one place.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studio?

We wanted to provide real-time, searchable data for the new home market so that buyers weren’t being misled by projects that were sold out or not knowing how many homes were remaining or launching. We wanted to provide it all in one space. We needed a developer to make this happen for us.

Our app is both a back-office as well as a client-facing tool. One side is a marketing tool and the other side is a search tool for buyers. They’re doing everything technology based on the app. They’ve done some design work for me as well.

We’re currently building for iOS. I believe it’s native. We’ve done the discovery process and the wireframing. Now, we’re in the designing phase. We just finished the design for the client-facing piece of the app. We haven’t started the backend yet. There’s a chat feature, notifications, liking, following, social sharing, uploading photos, real-time searchability, and mapping.

In the future, there will most likely be a web component. I’m going to need a landing page at the very least.

My initial contact was with Sam [CEO, FreshWorks] and Rohit [COO, FreshWorks]. I met them a couple of years ago in Victoria [British Columbia]. Alexa [Business Analyst, FreshWorks] is my project manager. I also work with Tatianna [UI/UX Designer, FreshWorks] and one other person. Everything goes through Alexa and then she brings others into the conversation.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studio?

I found them online two years ago. I had a business partner at that time. We had hired a different company, but I felt FreshWorks had what it takes. The interactions I had with them and Rohit were very positive. They always listened to me and made time for me. They understood that technology isn’t my forte. Coming from a real estate and sales background, they were able to help me navigate my way through telling them what I wanted. They were really easy to work with.

I’ve spent $10,000.

We started working together in September 2017 and the work is ongoing.

It’s the beginning stages so only colleagues, friends, and family know, but they think it looks wonderful and see the value.

How did FreshWorks Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

Alexa and I Skype all the time. I’m going to meet her in person next week. We always Skype and text with the team, and we use InVision to share the project. We discuss changes that need to be made. They’re on top of everything. I don’t have any complaints. They always over-deliver on the timing. If they say it could be two weeks, it’s usually a week. They get it done.

They’ve been like my business partner. Not everyone building an app has expertise in technology, but they’re really helpful in that regard. They make you feel like you know what you’re doing, even though it takes some time.

Sam and I have a great relationship which makes me feel extremely comfortable. I have never once felt they were shady or that they were overcharging me. I’ve done enough research to know what the average going rates are. They’ve been really good at leading me through the entire process and educating me through the Skype calls and in-person meetings. The people that I’ve met are all great. They always over-deliver in terms of time, design, product, and quality.

You have to trust the process and take Sam and the team’s advice. Listen to yourself. It’s okay to sleep on things, but these people aren’t going to steer you wrong.

Overall Score It’s awesome, collaborative, and fun. They hear out your ideas and they make you feel comfortable and safe. It’s exciting to see your ideas come to life.
    The value is there.
    I already have recommended them.

Native App Development for Popular Classifieds Marketplace

"They were proactive in getting what they needed from us…. They respected our tight budget and tight deadline."

Mar. - Dec. 2017

FreshWorks built native Android and iOS applications. The app includes a comprehensive search feature, ability to post classified ads, and a chat function that allows users to communicate.

Lacey Sheardown
President, Used.ca

Despite a lack of marketing, the app has 6,000 active monthly users. The Android app is 99.2% crash-free, while the iOS app is 98.6%. Though a more established company may have had more confidence at times, FreshWorks was proactive in moving development along effectively and produced an impressive deliverable at a very affordable rate.

I’m the president and director of marketing at Used.ca, which is a free online buy-and-sell platform based in Victoria, British Columbia.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studio?

After we struggled to build an iOS and Android application in-house for our platform, we enlisted FreshWorks to build the application for us.

Our in-house developers specialize in web-based projects, as opposed to mobile application development. They initially attempted to build the application through Xamarin, but they ran into a number of problems that continually delayed our launch date.

We presented our project to FreshWorks in the hopes they could develop the app in native software. The app’s design had already been mapped out by another firm, so they just needed to bring it to fruition. After agreeing to partner with us, they started out with the iOS version and quickly moved on to Android. Both versions were expected to do everything our website could do, including allowing our users to browse and view classified ads. Users also needed to be able to search ads by hundreds of different categories, as well as the seller’s location. We wanted users to be able to post ads as well, and that requires the app to allow them to take photos, upload and edit them, write and edit ad copy, and set their price and status. A feature that’s distinct to our app is the ability for users to chat with one another. We partnered with a company called Twilio to build the chat function, and FreshWorks worked very well with them.

This past month, we’ve focused primarily on working out any bugs in the app.

They had two separate teams and a lead developer for the Android and iOS version each. Both teams shared a project manager, Tristan Hasselback [Senior Project Manager, FreshWorks Studio], who was my project lead’s main point of contact. I would also communicate with Samarth Mod [CEO, FreshWorks Studio] periodically.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studio?

They came highly recommended to me within the tech community.

We’ve invested approximately $82,000.

We began partnering with them in March 2017 and they officially passed the code off in December 2017. The project was expected to be shorter, but, through no fault of theirs, a deficiency in the design pushed the project timeline back a bit longer than we anticipated.

We didn’t do any marketing for the application when it was set to go live. Our organic growth has us at 6,000 monthly active users, and that number is increasing daily. When we first launched, we had a few crashes, which we expected. Now, our Android version is 99.2% crash-free and our iOS version is 98.6% crash-free. We’ve received very little negative feedback in the app stores.

How did FreshWorks Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

We’re overall satisfied with their project management — they remained communicative. We spoke predominantly through Jira and Slack. Their offices are also very close to our’s, so we were able to have meetings face-to-face when necessary. In fact, we had them come to our office for the first launch in the app stores.

They were proactive in getting what they needed from us. If we were taking a while to get back with them, they picked up the phone and called us to get a response instead of waiting for us to catch up. But they never expressed annoyance or frustration if we were moving slow; they remained patient and professional.

I was also greatly impressed by their price. They’re a younger company, so I understand their willingness to work with bigger brands for a smaller cost, but they were so accommodating to our price needs. They respected our tight budget and tight deadline.

Out of courtesy and respect for us, they would often let us take the wheel and direct the project, but I want to work with a company because they’re experts and can take ownership over the project. They lack some of the experience and confidence that would allow them to exert authority, but that will come with time.

Overall Score They’re amazing for such a young company, and I think they’re going to continue to improve.
    They were very accomodating.
    We couldn’t be more grateful for the price because without it, we wouldn’t have a new app.
    They just need to build confidence so they can guide their client more.
    I’ve already recommended them many times.

Product Mockups for Healthcare Provider Review App

"They have guided me through the process, making it easy and engaging."

June 2017 - Ongoing

FreshWorks built the wireframes and more advanced mockups of an app that will store information about various medical clinics.

Sole Proprietor

Sakis Mamouzellos
Founder, Zēlos Innovations

The initial designs are compelling and potential investors are pleased. FreshWorks' team has been responsive and accessible from top to bottom and they will be carrying out the actual development of the app.

We are a startup mobile-app development company. I'm the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studio?

We are currently working on our first app, with the help of their team. As the owner of a startup, I not only needed a partner who could listen to and understand what I needed, but also someone with whom I could have a back-and-forth style working relationship with and someone to advise us on the best solutions available to reach our goals.

The product, in essence, gathers information about medical clinics and healthcare provider locations in a directory view.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studio?

I reviewed several companies in the U.S. and Canada, using Clutch as one of my sources. I contacted 5 groups altogether—from low-cost to middle-of-the-road ones—and sent them a questionnaire. Based on the responses and our interviews, I chose FreshWorks as the best fit for my criteria. They had good reviews, had been in the business for some time, had developed multiple apps, a good cost factor, and a large-enough team in a reasonably accessible location.

We had an initial discovery phase, followed by design and wireframes. The wireframes were built based on what we included in the scope. FreshWorks quickly addressed any and all adjustments I asked for, and they were flexible about adding things which were not initially in the scope. In the development of the project, there were certain potential investors who needed to see certain features, and FreshWorks was eager to add those.

We’ve only built mockups and designs at this point in time. We have discussed the possibility of building the app using cross-platform technology, so it could work on both Android and iOS. However, based on the market share of Android at this point in time, we decided to move forward with a native Android version for the first phase. Taking into account budgetary constraints, we might also develop an iOS version soon.

They use JIRA and Google Docs for project tracking and InVision for mockups. I am familiar with these tools, which made communication, knowledge sharing, and project management very easy and efficient.

The cost of their work has been below $10,000 so far.

The design phase will be completed in three weeks. After this, we will start the first round of financing, before proceeding with the development phase.

So far, it’s been an amazing experience working with FreshWorks. I have had several conversations with a few potential users who loved the designs. They provided some great feedback, based on which we made enhancements to user experience.

From an investor perspective, we have someone interested. He is waiting for the final design to be released, before we take it to a group of angel investors.

How did FreshWorks Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

Everyone in the company, regardless of position, was easily accessible whenever needed. In terms of project management, starting with the discovery phase, they’ve been prompt in setting up meetings, extrememly responsive whenever I have questions or concerns, and they have guided me through the process, making it easy and engaging. We kept a close eye on the scope of the project, even when there was some scope creep on our end, because I requested some additional components. FreshWorks was more than happy to add them, and they were prompt, on time and on budget every single time.

They were [non-financially] invested in the project with me, and willing to make my idea come true. FreshWorks invested themselves in it just as much as me, giving 150% all the time.

They never cease to amaze me with how committed dedicated they all are to both the project and to their customers. They made me feel like a part of the team, and not like a client.

I cannot think of anything at this point in time.

Overall Score I definitely plan to continue working with FreshWorks on the development phase, and on other projects. They bring value to any project.
    They were always prompt, sometimes ahead of time. The first two design iterations were supposed to be completed in three days, but were delivered in two.

Development of Social Media App Targeting Pet Owners

"They have clear communication [and] they’re always solution-based in their approach."

Apr. 2016 - Ongoing

FreshWorks Studio developed an iOS and Android app and web platform from the ground up that serves as a resource for pet industry business owners and pet owners alike. They provide ongoing maintenance.

Paul Nault
Co-Owner, Island Green Company

FreshWorks Studio created a seamless app experience with around 2,000 active users. They manage tasks very well and reach most deadlines. They've delivered a modern product that stands up against today’s popular social media platforms.

I’m the primary owner of The Island Green Company, an app deployment and acquisition company. It started with a company called PetComm App in early 2016. We have the rights to the PetComm App, which is now called PetVibe. We’re developing the app with the purpose of deploying it into the marketplace.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studio?

I am not an app developer myself and don’t have the skill set to do that. It made sense to look for a company locally in Victoria, British Colombia with good reviews.

I used them as a contractor for the build of the app. The app connects the community one pet at a time. What we found in the marketplace was that there was no single source location that connected the pet community with the current trends of social media and a resource for local meetups.

The app is basically a social platform and a resource for information, articles, etc. We tied in the business community - those who provide pet related services, such as dog walking or horseback riding lessons, too, since those providers likely will not be as successful creating their own app.

We’re kind of like Facebook, Instagram, and Yelp tied together as a complete resource for the pet owner. We originally started with a scope document showing FreshWorks what I wanted to do. I wanted to talk about the scalability of it and build in early programs for revenue streams. FreshWorks was really hands on. They’re an incredible company and easily understood the design and function of what I was trying to create. They didn’t just take orders from me, rather, they actually helped in the creation of the app, the functionality, the user interface and user experience, and in keeping everything extremely modern. Modern designs aren't commonplace in the pet industry.

We initially did a prelaunch on iOS in August 2016. With that, we were able to go to some pet shows and connect with pet owners and pet businesses and get feedback from what they liked and didn’t like about it. After that, we did the full deployment on Android, iOS, and the web.

We also built in some key business features so that when businesses become premium members of the app, there are tools that have been created for them to drive content to the news feed of the local pet community. It’s a very robust solution, all-in-one. You have location services available, and if you don’t want location services active on your phone, then we choose a city hall of the city that you’re in and not your personal address. The reason for this is when the businesses log in or adopt the app, they have a 50-kilometer radius surrounding their store in which to push content to the pet owners in that area.

When you’re looking for products, pet-friendly parks, etc., if you have location services on, you’re going to see what’s happening in that area and the businesses there will push out content or coupons. It’s very active that way.

We had some people doing early stage beta testing, but the full launch and marketing of the app began on April 1st, 2017. FreshWorks is under contract for IT support now. They tweak the app based on the bugs that show up and the feedback from our users.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studio?

I initially reached out to FreshWorks in March 2016 through recommendations of a few other people that had either worked with them or heard about them.

We have spent $250,000–$300,000. We were under contract for the development, bug testing, and launch through a series of milestones and progress payments. It was all broken down into modules for the iOS and Android apps and the web app.

I’m not a big enough company to go out and hire full-time people. It’s a lot cheaper to use FreshWorks. They provide good service.

We started working together in April 2016 and the work is ongoing.

The feedback we’ve gotten from people is that the app is very seamless, very nice, and easy to use. Around 1,950 users have created profiles since its launch. There’s probably another 30% of people that have downloaded the app but haven’t completed the profile because it asks for more information than what they expected.

We have 65% monthly active users, around 25% weekly, and maybe 5–8% daily active users on the app. The downloads are consistently going up approximately 10% week over week; all the metrics are following.

We have a premium membership program, which is the business side of it. Businesses don’t download the app, rather they access it through their desktop. The business profile is created and loaded by us for free. We have approximately 90 premium members engaging the app, saying that they’re liking it. Our audience is a little bit small still for them to pay, but they’re looking at it as a free trial.

How did FreshWorks Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

They have clear communication. There are always things that happen that we work through, but they’re always solution-based in their approach. They focus on the timelines that I set and have reached them 90% of the time, despite the bumps in the road. We use Google Docs and Slack.

I have an IT guy within the company that I hired to oversee Sam [Agarwal], their CEO, and the FreshWorks team. Basically, we have a full Google Sheet that has every task itemized with an approximate time that it’s going to take to deploy. It’s a constant stream of things that are going on the Google Sheet and we keep working through it as we go forward. The Google Sheet is the driver of the project.

Earlier, we were in the really big part of the build; now that we’re basically built, they do two-week sprints for any extra features we want to see. We list them all out and they push updates accordingly to the iOS and Android platforms. If there’s a massive bug, they’ll be on it right away, but regular maintenance and tweaking are also on a two-week cycle.

They have delivered a seamless product. It’s incredibly modern and makes us seem like we’re an Instagram/Facebook type app as far as the experience and the current trends that are happening. It’s very intuitive because of how they’ve laid it out. They’ve done a really good job.

They’re growing fast and that’s a little bit of a red flag for me. Like any company that grows extremely fast, managing a large group of people becomes a challenge. We’ll see if they continue to provide the same support and commitment to our project as they grow, especially if someone is paying them $50,000 dollars a month versus me paying them $2,000 a month. I hope their quality of service continues at the level I’ve experienced so far.

Overall Score It’s been an incredibly positive experience and I’m happy with the product that they delivered to us, and its reliability and stability as well. It’s an app that’s not crashing; there’s a few bugs here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary.
    They were a 5 and I’m moving them down to 4.5 because of changes related to how fast they are growing.
    They give us great value; their prices are very, very good.
    They deliver high quality.
    I don’t think anybody would be disappointed.

Shopify Development for Cosmetics Site

"The project was executed very well on their side."

Apr. 2017 - Ongoing

FreshWorks Studio built a startup platform with simple e-commerce capabilities, creating a cohesive structure for a brand-new lipstick product line. They now provide custom development to enhance the site.

Startup Leader, Incubator

Through FreshWorks Studio’s rapid execution and clear organization, the MVP successfully achieved core functionality and will undergo further iterations. The team’s responsiveness, attentive support, and flexible management contribute to a rewarding partnership, despite their steep pricing.

We are an incubator in British Columbia that works with international entrepreneurs to build companies in Canada with the goal of exporting products overseas. We take ideas at the concept stage and validate them with these entrepreneurs. I am 1 of 4 startup leaders working with entrepreneurs through project management and consulting to build their businesses.

What business challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studio?

For this project, which involved creating a natural lipstick line for Vietnam, FreshWorks developed our e-commerce website and helped us customize it to a certain point in terms of structure. The other project, which I am not a part of, is a website to recruit talent and innovations coming out of university labs and classrooms and pair them with international founders that could build businesses by commercializing the research or intellectual property.

The natural lipstick website was built using Shopify. We didn’t require them to use a particular platform. We described our project requirements initially. Because we needed simple e-commerce functionality, I believe we made a mutual decision to use Shopify since I’m familiar with Shopify.

For the natural lipstick line, the structure of the site is complete. It’s now up to our graphic team to populate and finalize the look and feel of the e-commerce website.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studio?

We were connected through a mutual contact from 1 of our managing directors. FreshWorks showed a broad range of development skills, and we have substantial MVP needs, especially in the app space. So, we wanted to see if this relationship would help us move forward in building MVPs and iterating quickly.

The lipstick project was $10,000. I’m not familiar with the costs of the other project.

We started working with them April 2017 and have been partners since.

How did FreshWorks Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

Both sides knew what was needed in order to make the project succeed. Their project manager was very proactive and organized. She was also responsive, collaborative, and flexible. We used GoogleDrive and Google Docs. I think they executed quickly. At some points, they were waiting for us to share details before they could move forward.

The project isn’t completely done, but they’ve developed the structure of the site. We still have ongoing support to help us fully customize the backend. I think because they wanted to end the project within a certain timeframe for the final payment, we both agreed to end the project. They’ve been extremely responsive in terms of making adjustments to Shopify.

The project was executed very well on their side. They did require payment prior to finishing all the work, but we were okay with that as long as they agreed to provide excellent support afterward and customize additional items on the site.

What distinguishes FreshWorks Studio from other providers?

Their project manager is very responsive and had some great ideas about the site’s look and feel. She was highly organized and kept us on track.

Is there anything FreshWorks Studio could have improved or done differently?

More interaction with our own graphics person would help ensure that the project is wrapping up well and that we are able to do what we want with the website. A wrap-up phone call with all the stakeholders would also be helpful. They were responsive, but a lot of the work has been our initiative after the project finished.

After the payment went through, their availability changed somewhat. I would have appreciated a follow-up call to smooth out some of the later development work on our side.
    We focus on MVPs, so we don’t want anything too cost-intensive. We found their pricing a little high for this project. We decided to go with them to evaluate the overall relationship. But, I wouldn’t pay $10,000 for a Shopify website.
    Their service was excellent, and the deliverables were good.

Web & App MVP for Social Media Advertising Platform

“We’ve appreciated FreshWorks’ accommodating and entrepreneurial approach.”

Aug. - Dec. 2016

FreshWorks built a platform that lets social media users earn rewards for recommending certain brands. The team created web, iOS, and Android versions of the app.

Tenzin Khangsar
President, Viralyze

FreshWorks delivered an impressive minimum viable product within a limited timeframe and budget. The team was accommodating and had a hands-on approach to project management, which made them an ideal partner for a startup with no internal technical staff.

I am the president of Viralyze, which is a platform for the influencer marketing industry. We are developing this platform and an app. These solutions will allow social media users to be compensated for making brand referrals on different social media platforms. There are 3 main components to our platform: a web application with a backend, an iOS app developed on Swift, and an Android app made through Android Studio.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studio?

Our company had 2 success pillars in place. I covered the corporate side—I had a successful career building startup teams and raising capital. Meanwhile, my partners were some of the top people in terms of social media assets, with millions of followers. We were lacking the third pillar, which was the technology provider. We looking for an external partner to build our platform and technology.

FreshWorks built the first minimum viable product of our software, called Sway. We were looking at the MEAN.JS stack or some type of server technology related to Amazon Web Services for the web app. Our platform had to operate with all existing social media applications. Companies like Facebook had more advanced APIs, while the ones like Snapchat had nothing at the time. We had to figure out a way to seamlessly connect and work with different social media platforms. FreshWorks was able to do this successfully for our MVP.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studio?

After raising our seed investment, we looked for different software vendors who could help build our ecosystem. Referrals are everything, and there was no shortage of software and mobile app developers in the city. We received a recommendation from a well-known angel investor in the Vancouver area, who described FreshWorks as a young and hungry team. Everything turned out well after that.

How much have you invested with FreshWorks Studio?

The cost of their work was under $100,000.

We started working with FreshWorks Studio in late August 2016. We worked together until December.

FreshWorks delivered a clean, modern-looking app that impressed our investors, future business partners, and potential users. As a startup, it’s one thing to have a concept and a PowerPoint presentation, but it’s a whole other thing to actually show something on the phone to potential investors or users. We’re thankful to FreshWorks for being able to deliver a strong demonstration of what the app would look like on phones. They did the MVP on a very tight budget. We succeeded at getting end clients and interest in terms of financing.

How did FreshWorks Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

I found FreshWorks to be excellent in terms of project management. We’re thankful for FreshWorks’ hands-on approach. Knowing that we did not have a lead technology person onboard, they guided us through the process. Their founder has a technical background and is good at general problem-solving. We were not always the easiest customer. We had to make changes here and there, but FreshWorks was accommodating and moved quickly. We used Trello for project tracking.

What did you find most impressive about FreshWorks Studio?

They have a very positive attitude, going out of their way to help and be accommodating. This made a big difference, especially since we’re not technical clients. We did expect to self-manage our challenges, but FreshWorks willingly took on our technology needs. They quickly grasped our business model. The purpose of the demo was to recruit more investors and staff. We’ve appreciated FreshWorks’ accommodating and entrepreneurial approach. I will definitely use them again on future projects.

Are there any areas FreshWorks Studio could improve?

Because we were a non-technical team, there have been things which we could have done differently to save time and make the use of FreshWorks better. Ultimately, the onus was on us to be more effective, with fewer changes and pivots.

They were always available and ready to meet us, whether in person or by phone. FreshWorks met our timelines, with the only slippage coming from large changes requested from our side. Even when we made those changes, they came back pretty fast.
    I don’t know FreshWorks’ business model, but they provided access to developers in North America and India. I found this to be compelling because it gave us the best of both worlds.

Mobile Apps for Back-office SaaS Provider

"There was some slow-down from our side, but FreshWorks was great and even pushed us a bit."

Sept. 2016 - Mar. 2017

FreshWorks Studio provided accelerated development for a mobile app (Android and iOS), incorporating GPS-tracking features and integrating native technology to simplify later iterations.

Alla Kuzmishcheva
Analyst, Vonigo Software

Through FreshWorks Studio’s high-quality deliverables, the new tool successfully parallels the web app in both design and functionality, anticipating an increase in client volume. The team’s accessibility, eagerness to improve, and consistent scheduling ensured a productive relationship.

I’m a quality-assurance analyst for Vonigo, a cloud-based service-management software which supports clients by optimizing their business on various service levels, including work-order management, CRM [customer relationship management], online payments, invoicing, quote management, and inventory management. We have an online booking engine which integrates with customers’ existing websites, allowing their clients to request services in real-time. Vonigo also automates delivery routes and dispatching process, integrating with third-party applications such as QuickBooks and Google Analytics for accounting, reporting, and analytics. The software can be accessed on any device, including tablets and smartphones, using browser-based applications.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studio?

We are a growing software company that started several years ago. Growth often means a lack of resources for sudden, burning projects. We wanted to speed up development time and save on costs for a project, so we looked for a third-party agency.

We were developing an Android and iOS mobile application as an alternative to the main Vonigo web app. We wanted it to have GPS-tracking capabilities and deeper integrations with native mobile technologies, accounting for future versions of the product.

FreshWorks recreated our app on the mobile side, taking our concept and placing it in a new framework. Our main requirement was to recreate all our existing features perfectly in the new frame.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studio?

We had a brainstorming session discussing the key elements we needed for a perfect fit. First of all, we were looking for happy clients, so we inspected LinkedIn company profiles. We also looked at website testimonials but found that those were not enough. We reached out to clients personally, asking for their opinion on FreshWorks’ performance. We also wanted a company that provided constant communication and fast responses to any questions we had. We knew that FreshWorks would be good at this according to their previous clients. We also knew that they were agile and could deliver products at a good pace. Some warranty clauses were also required to ensure that the project would be delivered on time and within budget.

How much have you invested with FreshWorks Studio?

The cost of FreshWorks Studio’s work was between $10,000 and $40,000.

We started working with FreshWorks Studio in September or October of 2016. The project took 6 months to complete. We had some items to tweak, so we pushed the delivery back a bit, but the first versions of the app were provided by the end of November. We have been happy with FreshWorks’ output and have started a second stage for the app using their support.

We’re hoping that by rolling out this tool, we will increase the availability of our technology for mobile technicians on the road, which will lead to a deeper adoption of our business process. We are relying on this product for increasing client volumes.

How did FreshWorks Studio perform from a project management standpoint?

We came up with the requirements for FreshWorks and pushed it for customer testing. They were always happy to discuss and improve any inconsistencies. We ran the project in an Agile way.

Their team’s responsiveness was awesome. There were no restrictions in terms of accessibility, and we could always have conversations via phone or GoToMeeting. FreshWorks adapted to what we wanted.

What did you find most impressive about FreshWorks Studio?

The accessibility of FreshWorks’ resources was excellent. They were always open to discussing matters with us.

Are there any areas FreshWorks Studio could improve?

More thorough alpha testing from their side would be great. We have addressed this with FreshWorks, and it was the main reason for our back-and-forth at the end.

Overall Score Nothing can be 100% perfect, but we’ve been satisfied with what FreshWorks did for us. There were some small gaps, but we found them.
    The apps were delivered on time. There was some slow-down from our side, but FreshWorks was great and even pushed us a bit.
    There is always room for improvement. More alpha testing could have saved time for both of us, for example.
    We will definitely recommend FreshWorks and go back to them ourselves.

Magento Web Development for E-commerce Platform

"They’ve made it affordable for us to do an MVP short term and it allowed us to do what we wanted to do."

Sept. 2016 - Ongoing

FreshWorks Studios built a site for a Magento platform that is serving as an MVP for an e-Commerce startup.

Startup

Vancouver, Canada Area
Craig Brod
Founder, E-commerce Platform

The client has been happy with the work that FreshWorks has done, noting their cost effectiveness and communication skills despite language and cultural barriers.

We are an e-commerce company that’s coming to market soon. We’re opening a field called retail impact in which we will sell brands on the site that put up a certain amount of money for us to sell them at a discount to impact kids’ and mothers’ lives to address the area of childhood poverty.

I’m the founder.

What challenge were you trying to address with FreshWorks Studios?

We wanted someone to help us with our beta site.

They created a site for a Magento platform and use another language that interfaces with Magento that makes it easy to make changes on the site.

How did you come to work with FreshWorks Studios?

I pitched to a venture capitalist in Vancouver for funding and he knew Rohit from FreshWorks and recommended that I call them to help us with our MVP [minimum viable product]. I found that local agencies charge a lot of money for programming, but Rohit said they would be able to provide us what we need cheaper. He seemed much more positive and supportive than other firms who were saying they couldn’t guarantee anything. Rohit was willing to come here for 2 face-to-face meetings and showed us some work they had done.

How much have you invested with FreshWorks Studios?

We’ve spent $25,000 to $30,000 so far with Fresh Works Studios.

We began our relationship in October 2016 and we’re still working with them.

We have an internal programmer who’s been testing the product, and so far it’s been working. It’s more basic than we thought but I think it will work.

How did FreshWorks Studios perform from a project management standpoint?

We get updates and status reports every night. The communication is excellent and any delays have been on our side.

What did you find most impressive about FreshWorks Studios?

Are there any areas FreshWorks Studios could improve?

Sometimes Rohit is difficult to understand because of his Indian accent, so I make sure to listen closely during our conversations. It’s been an amazing experience considering our cultures are so different.

We slowed them down by not supplying things they needed, but it’s also taking longer than their first estimate.
    The project isn’t complete but our communication is good and they keep us updated on where the project is in the process.

iOS and Android Development for Parking App

"We felt that Freshworks had great buy-in and passion for the project, which we found missing in other vendors in the past."

FreshWorks Studio started by building an MVP for the client, and eventually designed and built a fully functional app on the iOS and Android platforms.

Vancouver, Canada Area
Sam Chandola
Founder, SmartShare Solutions

The client praised FreshWorks for their ability to go above and beyond the project's scope, and provide insightful suggestions for improvement. While the app has not launched, the client was able to use Freshworks' work to raise further rounds of funding.

Please provide us with a brief description of your company and your role there.

SmartShare Solutions Inc.’s flagship product, Garage, is a shared parking platform that lets owners share their parking spots with drivers who are looking for one. I am the company’s founder.

What was the business challenge that you were trying to address when you approached the vendor?

When we approached Freshworks, we were at a very early idea stage. The Freshworks team helped flesh it out and quickly built an MVP that will let us test the product in the market and start getting customer feedback as we start iterating it.

Additionally, the team also really took ownership of the project, coming up with feature suggestions that has made the final product much better. We needed someone to take ownership of product development and the Freshworks team more than adequately stood up to the challenge.

What was the scope of the project, and can you describe the specific services that were provided? (if applicable, can you name the specific technologies that were used?)

The scope of the project involved the development of version 1.0 of the product. We were looking to develop the Garage app (AirBnB for parking). FreshWorks followed a systematized approach and provided the following services: scope document and refining the idea for the launch of the app, designing the wireframes for the app, providing the UI/UX design of the app and making it consistent with the color schemes and design guidelines, development of the iOS, Android and admin panel for the Garage app, continuous engagement and weekly progress report on the app, and QA/Testing of the app

What was your process for selecting the vendor to work with?

The team at Freshworks came to us as a recommendation from a business partner after we had a very negative experience with another vendor. The Freshworks team came in, pitched to us, and showed us how they would execute. More than anything, it was their passion for the project that made us choose them.

Can you give us a general estimate of the size of the project, in dollar terms or personnel work hours?

$50,000 - $100,000

What was the timeline of the project (start and completion date)?

July – September 2016

What were the results of the project, and are there any success metrics you can share?

The product is complete and will go live soon. But even before that, the product that Freshworks built has already netted result in helping us close our funding round.

Was there anything unique or special about the vendor compared to other partners you may have worked with in the past?

Looking back on the project do you have any constructive criticism? Is there any area that they could improve or you would do differently?

Going forward, we would like to be more involved in the initial stages, specifically around UX. This was one segment we wanted to be more involved in, but were not able to because of time constraints.