We Keep the Promises You Make.

If you want a company who manages your customers in simply a transactional way…stop reading here. We are not that kind of company.

With Direct Answer, you are gaining the benefit of learning everything you can about each customer. We are not task driven, we are goal driven. We do not cut corners on excellent service or value added consultation. When you grow, we grow. It’s a win-win always.

We are transparent, and we only work with clients who are too.

We hire the best talent  based on character first, experience second and train them to the Direct Answer way of doing things. We don’t hire from or copy our competition, we don’t like bad habits.

We are Wage Protected® company, meaning we pay our “on the ground” people more than our competition. Do you want unhappy, underpaid people handling your valuable customers? Remember, good work isn’t cheap and cheap work isn’t good.

We invest our capital directly back into the latest and greatest technology. And if it doesn’t exist, we make it ourselves. We don’t wait for others to come around and move at the speed of opportunity.

We constantly think about how we can help our clients grow, improve and maximize efficiencies without sacrificing quality. We often say, “We should do this” when talking to a client vs “You should do this.” It’s not an act, its who we are.

Customer and Client Service isn’t dead, it’s what has separated Direct Answer from everyone else since 1991.

1991
Oxon Hill, MD
  • 6424 Bock Rd
    Oxon Hill, MD 20745

Outsourced Billing Services for Stock Research Company

"We have a great relationship so we can quickly flag any issues as soon as they arise."

May 2018 - Ongoing

Direct Answer, Inc. provides customer service support for a stock service company. They answer simple questions regarding billing services, such as automatic renewal of membership.

Virginia
Member Services Supervisor, Stock Research Company

Communicating clearly from the start, Direct Answer, Inc.'s team inspires confidence throughout the project. Responsiveness and hands-on supervisory engagement are hallmarks of their work. Their ability to quickly adapt and adjust to our changes make them a valuable partner.

I'm a supervisor in the customer service department of a stock service. We recommend individual stock picks through research and guidance. As a subscription business, we deal with auto-renewals and refund requests. Our average subscriber is around 60 years old. We also help customers who struggle to use our technology.

What challenge were you trying to address with Direct Answer, Inc.?

We use Direct Answer, Inc. to outsource some of our billing traffic.

Direct Answer, Inc. handles our basic products that have straightforward terms and conditions. For example, a common call they get is customers wanting to know why a charge appeared on their billing statement when we automatically renew their member subscription. We're not great about writing things down, so there aren’t many hard-and-fast rules for them to follow. The main metric or requirement is for Direct Answer, Inc. to keep the average call under three minutes. If it's not a simple call, they transfer that member over to our in-house customer service team.

Onboarding new customer service representatives is led by Direct Answer, Inc. We provide the necessary information and documents, and they lead the orientation. They sit down with their people and teach them as they go along how to respond to angry or confusing situations.

It varies depending on how much call volume we send their way on a given day. A normal day is probably 4–6 people per day, but it can be as many as 10.

How did you come to work with Direct Answer, Inc.?

I don’t know all of the details as I wasn’t a part of that decision. I do know that we were using another company. The decision to move to Direct Answer, Inc. was driven by a search for higher quality more than lower costs.

Work began in May 2018 and the engagement is ongoing.

Direct Answer, Inc. provides much higher quality than the previous company. They send us statistics on how often their representatives avoid fully refunding charges, which translates to money they save us each month.

We don't get much positive feedback from members. We do hear some positive comments on particular representatives. In general, it’s more likely that any feedback we get from members is negative. That doesn't happen very often but we do get occasional complaints. We're pretty happy with Direct Answer, Inc.’s overall performance.

How did Direct Answer, Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

I work directly with a supervisor. She actually answers calls as well as manages the team, which has been helpful. It’s a lot easier to get my message across to someone who knows exactly what I'm talking about. I think their representatives respect that she understands what they deal with every day. I'm more inclined to listen to her feedback and guidance over someone who's hands-off. We probably in touch over chat every day to talk about specific cases. It’s really solid communication.

Direct Answer, Inc. is always quick to respond to changes in our rules. Yesterday, for example, we changed a procedure. They started following the new method on the spot. They go out of their way to ask us for feedback. They send us call recordings to listen to and tell them what they can do better. Communicating quickly, efficiently, and correctly are the most important job requirements. They’re great at all three.

Not really. We have a great relationship so we can quickly flag any issues as soon as they arise. The main area for improvement is on end in getting more of our guidelines and procedures written down. Currently, we do a lot by word of mouth. Documenting the types of calls that we get and how they should be handled would go a long way in making the relationship more organized.

Be honest with them. In our experience, they're receptive even when we come to them without a solution. Direct Answer, Inc. is always happy to help. They're good about responding to any problems and letting us know what they'll do to change that situation.

They're very reliable.
    More expensive than the previous company but the quality is well worth it.
    Customer service representatives can always be more polite and patient.

Answering Services, Scheduling, & Merchandise for HVAC Company

"I have nothing but amazing things to say about them—I wish I had found them sooner."

May 2018 - Ongoing

In addition to supplying various work attire, Direct Answer provides virtual reception and scheduling services. They ensure that each caller speaks with a person to make an appointment or address other needs.

Vienna, Virginia
Cory Williams
Owner & COO, SCS HVAC

Direct Answer’s availability to answer an increasing number of calls has led to more customers being helped. This, in turn, has resulted in several revenue records. The team is attentive and polite, a result of the detailed QA process. Their customer service approach is worthy of high praise.

I am the owner of SCS HVAC. We provide residential and commercial HVAC repair and replacement services.

What challenge were you trying to address with Direct Answer?

My business was growing pretty quickly, and it became increasingly difficult for me to personally handle the volume of calls we received. I needed outside assistance to answer these calls and schedule appointments with customers. I hired Direct Answer to make that process more manageable.

I developed a script of usual questions and appropriate answers to guide the team of receptionists when speaking with customers. I thought it would take a month or so to get them acclimated, but, instead, it was a rather fluid transition. Their team answers calls from customers, books appointments, and forwards calls when appropriate. They've set up a system that sends voicemails from weekend of after-hours calls directly to my email so that I can access those while away from work. Each morning, they check all messages and return calls. In addition to answering our calls, Direct Answer also supplies us with all of our shirts, jackets, and other work attire.

We have a project manager and an answering team of six people.

How did you come to work with Direct Answer?

All of the other call centers I looked at were expensive or automated, and I didn’t want to go down that path. Direct Answer guaranteed that each call would be answered within three rings and that customers would speak with a live person. That was exactly the service I wanted, and the price was much more reasonable than other companies.

We have spent between $15,000–$20,000. We are billed per minute, and I receive a monthly invoice.

Our engagement began in May 2018 and is ongoing.

This year already, we’ve broken every company record for monthly revenue, quarterly revenue, and yearly revenue. If I had to guess, I’d say that Direct Answer is responsible for $100,000 or more worth of business we’ve done simply because they are there to answer the phone.

Usually, if somebody needs same-day service, our receptionists can make sure that happens. It might be late in the day, but we can arrange to get somebody there. If a customer calls and needs same-day service and gets an answering machine instead, they’re going to call somebody else. Direct Answer’s presence now makes sure that doesn’t happen.

How did Direct Answer perform from a project management standpoint?

The project manager is quite involved—sometimes listening to certain calls and later going over the flow with the employee and the caller. They have a thorough quality assurance process.

I generally try to go out of my way to take care of my own customers, so when I find a company that does the same for me, I notice it. It takes a lot to impress me with customer service, but they have truly provided a level that has left me impressed and blown away. I have nothing but amazing things to say about them—I wish I had found them sooner.

No. Their receptionists are always polite and efficient with their time. They have made my life much easier.

Don’t be afraid to ask for anything you want because it’s likely they can provide an even better idea than what you asked for.

Corporate & Donor Call Answering for Global Rights Organization

"The agency’s perspective on service made them stand apart from other agencies we considered.”

Oct. 2015 - Ongoing

Direct Answer supplements a charity’s internal team through direct mail and donation processing, as well seasonal office support services.

San Francisco Bay Area
Donor Stewardship Officer, Global Rights Organization

Direct Answer’s customer- and donor-focused service distinguishes them from their competition. Their work simplifies processes, resulting in reductions in time and money spent. The team accepts feedback well and corrects concerns quickly.

I'm a donor stewardship officer at an international women's rights organization focused on grant writing and advocacy. I supervise the internal management of our donors, including mid-level and monthly donors.

What challenge were you trying to address with Direct Answer?

We were doing all our gift-processing in house and the process was becoming unsustainable, so we wanted to outsource that project. We originally had two employees tasked with processing, so not only was the workload outpacing our hiring, but it was also become too costly to maintain.

We work with Direct Answer throughout the year on our caging and gift processing. They’re also responsible for acknowledging our donations and they recently started working on creating and sending our direct mail. After receiving donations, the staff process and submit them to our system, then we review them, create acknowledgments, and they send out those acknowledgments for our direct mail gifts.

In addition to the day-to-day support they provide, Direct Answer also maintains our office support when we’re closed between Christmas and New Year’s. Our phone lines are directed to them, they receive and field donation calls and inquiries, and take donations over the phone.

Our primary contact is the vice president, who serves as our account manager. I’ve also worked with the staff members who lead our gift processing and print mail.

How did you come to work with Direct Answer?

We reviewed several companies that provided the services wanted, but many were very accounting-focused. They didn’t have donors’ interests at heart and didn't have the customer service abilities we needed. Though we’re a mid-sized organization, we were sometimes too small for an agency to take on as a client. When we eventually contacted Direct Answer, we found them personable, thoughtful, and excited to work with us.

We’ve maintained our partnership since October 2015.

They’ve streamlined and automated the processes we outsourced to them, making us more efficient. After running into problems with our outdated database, they worked with our third-party vendor to upgrade the system. Additionally, hiring Direct Answer for our gift processing and call service needs is still more affordable than requiring that work of two in-house staff.

How did Direct Answer perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re communicative and open to constructive feedback. Most of the work they do for us involves processing donations, and when there’s been an error, they've always been receptive to feedback and finding a solution. Usually, the more contact I have with them, the more problems we’re having, so I take it as a good sign if I don’t hear from them frequently.

Perhaps it’s the result of the co-founder’s fundraising background, but the staff have excellent customer service skills and keep the donors’ best interests in mind. They’ve also invested time and energy into learning about women’s rights and our organization’s stance on certain issues, which was never an expectation we had. The agency’s perspective on service made them stand apart from other agencies we considered.

When we began working together, there were some inconsistencies in processing as a result of staffing changes, but we’ve resolved those over time. As we’ve learned how to manage the partnership, such issues are less frequent.

Clarity is necessary for effective communication. For example, I avoid our organization’s internal jargon because it confuses anyone outside our team who hears it. I’d also advise setting clear expectations, yet still knowing how to manage and talk through changing circumstances.

Data Entry, Mail Processing, & Phone Support for Nonprofit Charity

"We’ve worked together for 12 years and our relationship is remarkable. We trust them to take care of us."

July 2006 - Ongoing

Direct Answer is the principal data processor for a charitable nonprofit. They manage mailings and gift acknowledgments, support donor services, and maintain Salesforce databases.

Short Hills, New Jersey
Michele Loiacono
VP Operations, Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation

Throughout a long relationship, they are consistently responsive, trustworthy, and service-minded. An executive manages the account and maintains team continuity and a personal level of involvement.

I’m the vice president of operations for the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation, a nonprofit charity focused on fundraising and support for spinal cord injury and paralysis research.

What challenge were you trying to address with Direct Answer?

We previously contracted another company that was underperforming. We faced too many challenges with them and wanted a different data entry firm.

They are our premier data processor. They manage our mailings and our PO box, do all of our data processing and gift acknowledgments, and handle donor services and follow-ups. Katie (Executive Vice President, Direct Answer) integrates with our team and knows who all our donors are. They also helped us transition from our old database to Salesforce. They had some familiarity with the new setup, but spent time learning all of its intricacies. They made the switch feel seamless.

We have very specific rules about the process and they are willing to let us dictate any changes to the workflow. The pipeline is well-organized, but we occasionally shift new work to them.

We work with a team of four or five members. Katie is always my main contact. She has a second team member below her and a data entry lead. We usually see the same names on correspondence, so their staff is fairly fixed. That’s instrumental to their familiarity. They know our board members and employees, which is very helpful.

How did you come to work with Direct Answer?

We did an RFP and interviewed a few companies. Direct Answer was warm, friendly, and personable. They were a good fit and automatically understood procedures that our previous company struggled with, particularly related to sensitive topics like memorial donations.

We pay them a monthly retainer. Depending on the need, we can scale our monthly payment to cover print costs, extra data entry, or any other tasks.

We first contracted them around July 2006. Their services are ongoing.

We don’t keep specific metrics for their work, but we never worry about assignments we give them. They are excellent and our donors never have issues with their service. We’ve worked together for 12 years and our relationship is remarkable. We trust them to take care of us.

How did Direct Answer perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re always responsive to our questions. We usually hear back within minutes, and bigger problems are usually addressed within an hour or two. They’re responsible, provide what we need, and fix any error. They come up with solutions to obscure requests and are very service-oriented. They make sure we’re happy.

They deliver a terrific level of service. Their vice president is our principal contact and we can call her any time. Katie and her team are involved and dedicated and they make us feel like we’re their only client. Since they deal with our PO box, they process a lot of material related to members of the Reeve family. They scan everything up to us and help us do our due diligence.

No. They have the process down to a science. They know our needs and wants and the needs and wants of our donors. If we were to hire a group to work with us in-house, we would hire them. They give us everything we ask for and more.

Tell them your expectations and how you want them to interact with donors. They provide a personal touch and continuity, especially for your gift database and other important items.

Their costs are comparable to other vendors.

Order Fulfillment & Customer Support for Fundraising Association

“Their customer service has helped our retention efforts and growth.”

Sept. 2000 - Ongoing

Direct Answer provides membership fulfillment and retention services. They manage a bookstore and provide purchasing and customer support, as well as some mailings and print requests.

Arlington, Virginia
Todd McLaughlin
VP of Marketing & Operations, Association of Fundraising Professionals

Members have shared positive feedback regarding their interactions with Direct Answer's staff. Their team is very professional, easy to work with, and receptive to client needs. As their work continues to improve retention rates, the long-standing relationship remains strong.

I'm the vice president of membership and marketing for the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP). We're a 33,000-member organization dedicated to education, fundraising, and philanthropy with five chapters around the world.

What challenge were you trying to address with Direct Answer?

Initially, we needed assistance fulfilling membership recruitment and retention.

Currently, Direct Answer manages our online store, including purchasing through fulfillment and customer support through both phone and email. They manage the backend and frontend of our bookstore, along with order requests. They also do some project mailings and print requests.

Four of five of their staff works on our bookstore and in fulfillment.

How did you come to work with Direct Answer?

We've been working with them for a long time, so I'm not sure how we found them originally.

It's too hard to say given how long our relationship has been.

We've been working with them for about 20 years and the relationship is ongoing.

The feedback we've gotten from members who've interacted with them has been very positive. Their customer service has helped our retention efforts and growth. There's never been a negative impact as a result of any of their work.

How did Direct Answer perform from a project management standpoint?

It's been easy to work with them. They've known us for a long time, so they're very familiar with how we operate and present ourselves to our members.

They provide customized monthly reports for our staff, which are used for various departments internally. They're great about tailoring their delivery and communications with various teams within our organization.

Our relationship with them continues to be strong. They're always looking at ways to help us grow and achieve our goals.

I'm most impressed by the level of service they provide. I think of them as part of our own team.

Bring your ideas to their team and engage them regarding your goals. Even if they can't help you directly with a project, they'll help you find a vendor who can.

Order Processing & Support for Advocacy and Reporting Nonprofit

“We’ve been very impressed with their ability to pivot and customize their services for our specific program.”

2006 - Ongoing

Direct Answer supplements an existing team at a nonprofit, member-based advocacy group. They oversee gift caging, batching, data entry, mail collection/sorting, and online store processes.

Washington, DC Metro Area
Deputy Director of Development, Advocacy and Reporting Nonprofit

A meticulous approach to the project has resulted in very few errors and a high level of customer satisfaction. The Direct Answer team is very responsive and adjusts their workflow according to the client’s organizational goals.

I focus on direct marketing programs for a nonprofit advocacy and reporting agency. We have about 100,000 members total, so a vast majority of funding comes from individuals. We conduct robust direct marketing campaigns through mail, email, and other online channels.

What challenge were you trying to address with Direct Answer?

They’ve been working with our organization since before I joined, but the initial outreach was based on finding a company that was willing to customize the gift entry process in a way that larger caging and fulfillment agencies can’t.

The largest parts of our business that they cover are gift caging, batching, and data entry. They manage the mail collection for all our direct mail responses, which they sort through at their facility. This involves onsite deposit, entry processing, and removal of special circumstances. They deliver special circumstances (hard/soft credit, tribute gifts, anything that lacks clarity) to us once a week so we can manage the responses at our headquarters. For all standard gifts, they take care of all data entry and digitally store the files, which we then back up internally.

Beyond that, they manage several processes for our online store. It’s a fairly small operation, but they handle order management, fulfillment, and customer service for all orders that come in. They also maintain our direct marketing killfile and process our acquisition gifts when they’re cash or checks.

Although our organization trained the Direct Answer team before I joined, I’ve been told that trainings were centered around our specific processes and organizational messaging. Our industry requires very nuanced language, and the trainings ensured that the Direct Answer team could speak to related issues in an educated manner.

We work with four to five team members. Katie (Executive Vice President, Direct Answer) manages our account, and we discuss any big-picture items on monthly management calls. The other team members have specific tasks on our account including acquisition and management of the online store.

How did you come to work with Direct Answer?

They’re based very close to where we are, which enables us to speak in person and observe their process firsthand. They’re a smaller team that can adjust their workflow to harmonize with their client, which was very appealing to us.

Our contract is largely based on mail volume, so costs can vary greatly from month to month. On average, we spend about $5,500 per month.

We started working with them in 2006, and the engagement is ongoing.

We receive very few errors with data entry. Also, donors have been satisfied with how their gifts are handled and how their requests for information updates are met. We’ve been very pleased with the feedback we’ve gotten on their services.

How did Direct Answer perform from a project management standpoint?

We have a regular channel of communication with Katie, and that’s been very helpful. We tend to share updates via email. Occasionally it takes some effort to get a response from them on items that require research on their end, but for the most part, they’re quite responsive.

Occasionally, they’ll make a change in processes without giving us advanced notice. We would appreciate a little more lead time before they make adjustments in how they handle our account.

Be willing to fully discuss your project. Work with them to determine a process that meets your needs and aligns with your ideals.

Phone & Email Support for Religious Museum

“Their customer service is outstanding.”

May 2015 - Ongoing

Direct Answer integrated with an existing customer-service system to provide phone and email support. They learned relevant information to handle logistic inquiries and questions regarding membership policy.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Debbie Frick
Director of Donor Services, Museum of the Bible

Excellent leadership and a structured approach to business facilitated a smooth onboarding process. Direct Answer receives over a quarter of all customer service inquiries. They assist customers with integrity and provide an experience aligned with company goals. They’re responsive and cooperative.

I’m the director of donor services for the Museum of the Bible.

What challenge were you trying to address with Direct Answer, Inc.?

As a donor-centric institution, we have a responsibility to take calls from our members and answer any questions they have regarding their account. To provide the best experience possible, we needed to outsource a call-center to supplement our existing customer-service staff.

We experienced an influx of calls shortly after the Museum’s grand opening. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough dedicated phone lines to respond to the overwhelming amount of inquiries we were getting. Direct Answer provides customer support via phone and email. They respond to questions regarding the museums’ location, how to purchase tickets, membership information, and other general inquiries. They quickly understood the museum, our culture, what kind of experience we wanted donors to receive. Overall, integrating them into our process was simple.

Their executive VP is our primary point of contact. We also work with a project manager who leads the rest of their staff.

How did you come to work with Direct Answer, Inc.?

I came on board and reached out to processors I’ve used in the past. However, we were a new organization and didn’t have the required volume. I researched service providers on the east coast and came across Direct Answer. I called them and set up an appointment. I was very impressed with the organization’s structure and strong leadership.

We’ve spent between $50,000 and $200,000 thus far.

We began working with them in May 2015 and the relationship is ongoing.

Direct Answer’s quick integration enabled us to stay on top of donor challenges and provide solutions. They intercept about 25% of our donation calls and 25%–30% of general questions. They also helped address a significant portion of the 150 membership calls we receive daily.

How did Direct Answer, Inc. perform from a project management standpoint?

They’re very accessible. I’ve never had to wait long for their response to a problem. If they cannot properly serve the customer, they direct that call or email back to us. There is a constant ebb and flow to the process. We have a pleasant and collaborative work relationship.

Their customer service is outstanding. They’re dedicated, supportive, accurate, and will go the extra mile for you. They’ll do everything in their power to meet and exceed expectations. The desire to achieve perfection is evident in the quality of their performance.

There’s always room for improvement, but I’m satisfied with the work they do and can’t pinpoint an area. They’re receptive to feedback.

I’d suggest new clients go to their office, meet with them, and see the facility. Explain everything you’re looking for in a vendor of this type. Be sure to communicate your business rules and expectations.

Overall Score I can’t exaggerate the level of customer service they provide.
    They’re good and fair.
    The quality of service is excellent.