Trusted JavaScript Adepts

DA-14 is a fast-growing tech company that builds custom software for startups and small businesses worldwide. We don’t offer traditional outsourcing or outstaffing services - we create compelling applications together with you.

We love clients, both ours and yours, thus we work hard to offer actual solutions, next-generation user experiences and lasting cooperation.

Kharkiv, Ukraine

FastPrk, Fixington, Cosmunity, Flypd, Influence Network, OpenBoM, RiskPass, Savorily, Sitecues

COSMUNITY

Country: USA

Type: Social Media & Marketplace Application

Industry: Computer Software

Business Challenge: The company approached DA-14 with an idea to create a unique social solution for comic fans and cosplayers.  For this project we’ve selected most recent technologies, such as Angular 2, Angular Universal and some others.

The very first challenge that got in the way of our team was the role of early adopters, due to immaturity of selected tools and lack of documentation. We've started with MVP and at that time it was built with Angular 2.0 beta version.  Alongside with the Angular 2 and Angular Universal releases our team refactored the code regularly to keep the application relevant and on-the-go.

DA-14 Solution: Cosmunity is a combination of social, media, transactional, and event management application for every fan of comics, cosplay, gaming and...

OPENBOM

Type: Data Management Platform

Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Business Challenge: The customer needed to enable simultaneous editing and instant collaboration, provide single integrated BoM for all item’s lifecycle stages and ensure integrated data across engineering disciplines. The project’s objective was to connect people engaged in product design, engineering and manufacturing in grid environment.

DA-14 Solution: openBoM is a cloud-based BoMs (bills-of-materials) management solution and data collaboration tool for engineers, supply chain managers, contract manufacturers and hardware startups.

FIXINGTON

Country: UK

Type: Online/Mobile Marketplace Solution

Industry: Engineering/Construction

Business Challenge: DA-14 Software Development was offered to build an invoicing and calendar app to facilitate a job for independent tradespeople. The main goal was to develop a handy product for managing business processes and spend more time with customers.

DA-14 Solution: Fixington is an online booking app for tradespeople all over UK. The application is powered by calendar and integrated billing system that allow to manage the workload, create invoices and process payments.

FLYPD

Type: Mobile Marketplace Solution

Industry: Consumer Services

Business Challenge: Our customer needed to build a mobile alternative to popular “Free & For Sale” groups designed directly for college students. Flypd is built to connect university students, save time on search of necessary things and make buying-selling safe and easy.

DA-14 Solution: Flypd is a socially-driven mobile marketplace solution for college students that facilitates buying and selling with others on-campus. Flypd provides unique peer-to-peer experience with fully-integrated payment processing, comprehensive user reviews and structured product timelines.

INFLUENCE NETWORK

Type: Social Media Monitoring Solution

Industry: Internet

Business Challenge: Nowadays word-of-mouth marketing has a decisive influence on business and latest study findings only prove that. The project goal is to help companies with recognition, classification and activation of the biggest fans within targeted territories. Influence Network offers a marketing platform to make maximum use of customer databases.

DA-14 Solution: Influence Network is a business SaaS application that allows entrepreneurs to collect reviews and ratings for their businesses from various social networks (Facebook, Yelp, Google, Foursquare, etc.). The collected data is displayed in charts and graphs, and helps users to monitor and manage their business accounts more efficiently. This social media management tool works with a huge amount of statistics gathered from thousands of...

SAVORILY

Type: Online Marketplace Solution

Industry: Food & Beverages

Business Challenge: Being a foodie our customer wanted to help others to discover tasty homemade food, socialize and become a part of local foodies’ community, and order healthy and safe meals online on a button click. DA-14 developed a highload marketplace web application, a mix of social network and e-commerce website. This app allows individuals and restaurants to sell and buy dishes all over the US.

DA-14 Solution: Savorily is an online ordering service where chefs and foodies are able to buy, sell, cooperate and savor food. This web marketplace application enables users to find local meals cooked by chefs and amateurs in the neighborhood.

SITECUES

Type: Cloud-based SaaS Solution

Industry: Computer Software

Business Challenge: Our customer, Ai Squared, is a leading provider of assistive technology solutions for over twenty years. The company is focused upon web-based tools that make web easier to read and understand for users with impaired vision, learning disabilities or non-native language speakers. Latest solution, Sitecues, developed together with DA-14, allows users to magnify current page, navigate between text blocks and listen to the page content.

DA-14 Solution: Sitecues is a web-based tool that integrates zoom and speech options into websites. This SaaS technology empowers sites to reach a broader audience, making their content easier to hear, see and use.

RISKPASS

Country: USA/Canada

Type: SaaS Software Platform

Industry: Financial Services

Business Challenge: RiskPass offers independent services to offshore financial companies. The company focuses on anti-money laundering (AML) and counter terrorist financing (CTF) audits, fully-outsourced compliance services, procedure and policy reviews. The company needed a unique, tech savvy and multijurisdictional software platform that would adapt to clients’ data security needs and in the meanwhile ensure transparency.

DA-14 Solution: DA-14 took a share in development of a complex financial SaaS platform for RiskPass. The app includes extended profiles, detailed reports and dashboards, enabling users to assess risk level of potential business partners and investments.

FASTPRK

Country: Spain

Type: Monitoring Application

Industry: Transportation

Business Challenge: Fastprk by Worldsensing is a 24/7 Smart City application that collects relevant data about real-time occupancy and billing information of parking bays. This app contributes to the efficient management of municipal parking resources. Worldsensing is a market leader in innovative wireless machine-to-machine (M2M) solutions and Smart City technologies.

DA-14 Solution: Fastprk is driven by a series of sensors embedded in in parking spots. Sensors check parking lot’s occupancy and transmit information to server. To ensure successful, uninterrupted and dependable performance, DA-14 developed monitoring application. This app helps customers to monitor "health" status of the parking sensors.o ensure successful, uninterrupted and dependable performance, DA-14 developed monitoring...

App Dev for Homeschool Digital Products Company

"They’re good at taking my ideas, emails, and Skype conversations and turning them into detailed project plans."

Aug. 2017 - Ongoing

DA-14 is rebuilding a cloud-based platform. They created a tiered plan based on mockups and recently delivered an MVP. They’re about halfway through the project and are currently working on the full-version.

St. Louis, Missouri
Debra Reed
President, NotebookingPages.com

Although feature development is still ongoing, the UX has already been improved significantly. DA-14’s focus on consistent communication has created an efficient process and eliminated the need for costly redevelopments. They were also highly responsive to requests for expanded documentation.

I’m the president of NotebookingPages.com. I create free and affordable digital products and memberships and apps for home schoolers.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14

We were trying to rebuild our current web app—it’s a publishing app—with current technologies and a more professional design.

I gave them access to our current app—which was developed five years ago and was very outdated—as well as mockups and a list of new and current features I wanted. They assessed its functionality and a laid out the steps for both an MVP and a full-version of a cloud-based, online publishing platform. They also gave me opinions about how to do things like hosting and technology.

The team includes a Project Manager (Dmitry Misyuga), Designer, Front-end developer, Full stack developer, Back-end developer, Quality Assurance Engineer, and DevOps.

How did you come to work with DA-14?

I found them through Upwork. I researched various companies and reached out specifically to several.

We’ve spent $35,000 so far and we’re halfway through, so the whole project will be around $70,000.

We’ve been working together since August 2017.

So far, I’m excited by the improvements they made to the design. Most of the features are still in development, but the UX has been greatly improved.

How did DA-14 perform from a project management standpoint?

In the past, I’ve had to spend a lot of money having to redo and undo things with other companies because of a lack of communication and direction, but that’s totally not been the case with DA-14. They gave me a project manager from the beginning and walked me through each phase of the development. They’re good at taking my ideas, emails, and Skype conversations and turning them into detailed project plans.

Our project manager keeps us together on the same path, and his English is excellent. I was concerned about working with a team from Ukraine, but language hasn’t been a problem at all. He even notices if I hesitate in a discussion; he’ll pick up on it and makes sure we’re both on the same page.

I’m very impressed by their project management. They give you so many ways to look at the project with a detailed scope, timeline, and budget sheets. They’ve transparent so we know exactly what’s going on.

During the MVP phase, we had regular Skype sessions for demos and clarifications about some of the more complicated features.  I had a hard time keeping track of some of the verbal things we agreed to.  So for the next phase, the project manager has agreed to include more emailed discussions even though they take more time so I can have detailed written records to review and minimize miscommunication.

Overall Score I hope it continues.
    They give you product plans and timelines and if they're not going to stick to it, they tell you ahead of time.
    I've rebuilt the app, so I know what it cost the first time.
    They’re good at going above and beyond to see exactly what I want and delivering tha​​​​​​​t.
    I've already recommended them.

Native iOS App Development for Fintech Startup

“They went above and beyond to make sure their team was communicating effectively and consistently.”

Mar. - Apr. 2018

Helping to build a Native iOS app, DA-14 used JavaScript to fully manage frontend development, while the in-house team took charge of the backend.

Saad Malik
Founder, Investroo

The app is ready for beta testing and the internal team is satisfied. Professional and responsive, DA-14 met all needs, while their experienced and hands-on team quickly earned them trust.

I'm the founder of a start-up called Investroo.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14?

We were working on a prototype for our React Native mobile app and we needed a JavaScript developer to help us with the frontend.

We already had our mock-ups, so DA-14 helped us turn them into a Native iOS app. They oversaw the frontend development, while my co-founder, who is also the CTO, managed the backend code. Experienced with JavaScript, they were able to adapt quickly to our tech stack. They were very resourceful and always found the information they needed if they were not familiar with something.

We mostly worked with our project manager, one developer, and the founder.

How did you come to work with them?

We found them on Upwork. We received different proposals and interviewed the top three companies. DA-14 seemed to have a great team and we were able to negotiate the price. Also, we liked the fact that they were very professional and assigned us a project manager, who made sure everything was going according to the plan.

We spent about $10,000.

We worked with them between March–April 2018.

We didn't have any issues with the code and we're planning to launch our private beta test next month.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They were flexible and accommodated the difference in time zones when we had our weekly Skype calls.

They're great communicators. That was one of the biggest things we were looking for, especially when working with an offshore provider. They went above and beyond to make sure their team was communicating effectively and consistently.

We used software called Sketch for our design files. Sketch is a very popular design software in the industry, but their team didn't have access to Sketch. I expected that their team would have better access to the software.

iOS MVP Development for Pet Supply App

"While some vendors resist scope changes, they were interested in doing what was best to guarantee the success of the product."

Oct. 2017 - Mar. 2018

DA-14 created an MVP for a self-funded pet supply shopping application. They used React Native to build the product for iOS.

Seattle, Washington
Stephen Chung
Owner, Mochi Group LLC

Highly flexible, DA-14 accommodated the shifting demands of a startup. They adjusted to scope changes and filled in any specification gaps to produce a quality product, likely cementing future engagements. Plus, they offered a reduced rate in exchange for React Native experience.

I’m the owner of a startup affiliate marketing business that creates new shopping layers on top of the Amazon Associates Program, either through websites or applications.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?

For my first product, I wanted to create a pet supply application and needed developers to build a minimal viable product (MVP). I worked with a previous vendor before reaching out to DA-14.

I provided a few basic mockups and DA-14 then built the product for iOS using React Native. It was important to use this framework so that I can easily port the app to Android in the future at relatively low incremental cost.

After speaking with an initial point of contact, I worked with a project manager and two engineers.

How did you come to work with DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?

They were one of several companies to respond to my job post on Upwork. I interviewed them through Skype, walking them through my requirements, and they asked thoughtful questions about the project and timeline expectations. I gave them my mockups and they responded with a detailed outline within a week. I liked their communication and management style, so we decided to move forward.

Plus, their engineers were especially excited about gaining experience with React Native. Because of this, they were willing to give me a reduced hourly rate.

I spent $18 an hour, totaling roughly $16,000.

We worked together between October 2017–March 2018.

They produced quality code, creating an application that works well with few bugs. Having launched only recently, the app has been downloaded 200 times, meeting my initial expectations. Based on their success, I plan to work with them in the future to add new features.

How did DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT perform from a project management standpoint?

Their project manager did an excellent job guiding the engineers and ensuring that my needs were met. Frequent communicators, they messaged me through Slack anytime they had questions. The timezone difference proved challenging initially, as we only had a couple of overlapping hours each day, but we worked through the issue very effectively.

In my day job, I work as a product manager with a tech company. Our engineering team is based out of Beijing, so I have experience working with remote teams. DA-14 impressed me with their flexibility. They were open to working in an agile fashion, adjusting project specifications based on the results of previous milestones. While some vendors resist scope changes, they were interested in doing what was best to guarantee the success of the product.

Additionally, because this was a part-time side project for me, I didn’t have time to outline every aspect. DA-14 was understanding and really stepped up to help fill in any gaps. If my specifications were lacking, they took proactive steps to complete the task as they saw fit and made any adjustments I requested.

I was very satisfied. They could have pushed me harder to provide details and some tweaks needed to be made to certain frontend elements, but these negatives were really the result of issues on my end.

Overall Score Their easy-going team delivered quality work. It was a very pleasant experience.
    We didn’t set strict deadlines, but they completed the work in a reasonable time.
    They provided quality engineering at a reduced rate, taking my needs as a self-funded startup into account.
    They delivered the product to my exact specifications.
    I was happy with their work, communication, and overall attitude. I would recommend them without a doubt.

Frontend Development for Communication & High-Performance Tool

“They clearly have a great team dynamic going and that really impressed me.”

Nov. 2017 - Ongoing

DA-14 started by fixing problematic technologies implemented by a previous developer. Then, they developed the frontend of the coaching software using new technologies in Angular. The work is ongoing.

Newfoundland, Canada
Ian Coultas
Owner, BenchBoss

Using their strong expertise in Angular, DA-14 successfully fixed the existing problems and developed the range of desired features. Despite the time difference, DA-14 manages the project and communications effectively. Their superior performance makes them a desirable partner for future work.

I am the owner of BenchBoss, a communication and performance tool for basketball coaches and athletes. We provide basic functions such as messaging and calendar, but our niche is in the basketball tools such as shareable shot charts and performance models for athletes and coaches.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14 Software Development?

We lost a full stack developer while we were in the middle of building our business.

They provided us with a frontend developer. Going into to this project, I knew I needed someone who knew Angular 2 and Angular 4 very well. They had done a lot of work in Angular, and their stack would service us in that technology specifically. They also fixed a whole bunch of things that our previous developer did that, according to them, weren’t done properly. After fixing those things, they developed the things we needed to add to our software package.

I initially met with Dmitriy (CTO and Co-founder, DA-14) and another person. We had a project manager, Alina (DA-14) and a developer, Anton (Frontend Developer, DA-14).

How did you come to work with DA-14 Software Development?

I searched and connected with DA-14.

We have spent around $12,000 CAD ($9,452 USD).

We started working together in November of 2017, and the work is ongoing.

The tool wasn’t working very well before we started with them, and now we have a range of features that they have developed for us. Their main selling feature was that they had done a lot of work in Angular, which they lived up to very well.

We had the funding to be able to accomplish three milestones, and we hired them to complete the first milestone. We are planning to hire them again depending on our funding for milestone two and three.

How did DA-14 Software Development perform from a project management standpoint?

It has been very good. At my request, they worked through Slack. I was nervous about the 5 1/2-hour time difference between us, and I wasn’t sure how that dynamic would work. Anton, our developer, sends updates every day letting me know what was accomplished and what the plan is for the day. At the end of every month, Alina gives us a detailed report of everything Anton accomplished which includes the requests that we had. I am very impressed with the project management side of it.

Anton’s communication with me has been great. After initially meeting with Dmitriy and another person, they clearly communicated what I was looking for to Alina and didn’t miss a step. This showed me that they clearly have a great team dynamic going, and that really impressed me.

While there is a break in our service, they can’t keep their developers waiting around. So, when we restart the project, we might not get Anton again, and there would be a learning curve for the new developer. It isn’t a big concern for me, but it is a minor thing that we might not be able to get the same people every time. However, it might be flawless with a new developer.

Overall Score I plan to continue to work with as long as our business is successful. I hope to have a long-lasting relationship with them.
    They are still accomplishing things for us, but we were hoping to launch a bit earlier.
    We got two people for the price of one with the project manager and the frontend support. Anton also helped my new developer with issues he was having.
    They were able to not only develop new technologies for us, but they also fixed a lot of the old ones and made them function a lot better.
    I would recommend them to others. They have a good thing going, and I have no reason to say anything negative about them at all.

Web Dev for Small Business & Government Relations Platform

"We've been impressed with the quality of their coding, which has been clean and up-to-date."

July 2017 - Ongoing

DA-14 added new features to an existing website, managing frontend and backend development. They used scrum methodology and offered retrospective follow-ups after each sprint.

Sky Kelley
CEO, Avisare

The site is faster, more responsive and secure, and the users are happy with the new frontend features. Their exceptionally skilled team is willing to adjust to the changing needs of a startup while providing high quality coding on a tight deadline.

I'm the CEO of Avisar, a vast platform that helps small businesses get contract work with government agencies.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14?

We were looking for an outsourced team that focused on agile development to help us add new features to the site in a short time.

They did both the frontend and the backend development for us. We follow the scrum methodology where we have a call every week that prepares us for the next sprint. They do great retrospectives after each sprint, especially as they're learning about their new client and the client's needs. They ask questions to make sure they fully understand what needs to take place before any development begins.

We have a project manager, a lead developer, a backend developer, and two frontend developers. We also have manual QA and we're adding automatic QA.

How did you come to work with them?

Over the summer we interviewed 40 different development teams to see who could handle the contract in the timeframe that we needed and who had a good working style. We evaluated a large number of proposals and finally selected DA-14 because they understood what was at stake and could handle it. We were confident that they would be timely and would listen to us.

We spent between $10,000 and $50,000.

We started working with them in July 2017 and we're still using them.

There has been an improvement in the speed and agility of the site, as well as UI enhancements. We've received feedback that the site is more responsive and secure. The users have been happy with the new development.

We've also experienced an increase in users, but that happened mostly to business development and marketing on our end.

How did they perform from a project management standpoint?

They've always adhered to deadlines, which is usually a tricky thing for development teams. We use Jira, Confluence, and Slack to communicate, and they take care of all the documentation.

DA-14 is the best team I've ever worked with when it comes to their knowledge of new practices, their ability to adjust to the changing needs of an early stage startup, and their actual coding skills.

If there is a problem, they take care of it quickly and it doesn't happen again. I can't really think of anything they should improve.

Be clear and upfront about your goals and they'll deliver a great product. Based on my experience, you can't go wrong with them.

Overall Score They deserve six stars.
    They let us know beforehand if something cannot be completed on time and schedule different sprints to accommodate the needs of the project.
    As an Ukrainian-based team, they offer great value compared to the U.S. engineering rates.
    I've already recommended them to several people.

Development for Independent Driver Web App

"They adapt well and expedite work with no problems."

Feb. 2017 - Ongoing

DA-14 Software Development provides frontend design and coding for an existing web app, creating a more reliable and functional product through updates, enhancements, and cleanups.

Paris, France
Arthur Darde
CTO, Parkopoly

Current clients have praised the app’s stable integrations and simplified product interface during improvements. DA-14 Software Development’s swift turnaround time, responsiveness, and high-quality deliverables continue to promote efficiency.

I’m a co-founder and the CTO of a French startup. We’re an 8-person team with 2 full-time backend developers. We build communities of independent drivers who take clients’ cars to dealerships for maintenance and repair and back to their homes or offices, saving time and giving dealerships more capacity, as serviced vehicles no longer need to remain on-site all day.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14?

We needed help improving the frontend of our client-facing web app. The initial version was built to test the concept and needed to be completely redone. After six months of operation, we had a much better understanding of the relevant interfaces required by our clients. We wanted a cleaner and more reliable website.

DA-14 was subcontracted to write the frontend of our web app. It needed to be clean and work with Internet Explorer, which is challenging. It had been coded with AngularJS 1, which is not supported by all versions of the browser (and required adaptations for IE 11). DA-14 had to change some elements in order to make the app work properly.

We worked with a UI designer on our side and transferred the screenshots to DA-14, but we didn’t anticipate all parts of the work up front. We had to redesign many items and added a number of features as we were still developing our services for our clients.

DA-14 assigned up to four people for our project. We are currently using only one full-time developer and one project manager, who splits his time between multiple projects.

How did you come to work with DA-14?

I looked for a partner on Upwork and received replies from multiple companies. DA-14 was proactive in accepting a 2- to 3-day test for free in order to demonstrate their skills. This test showed me that they understood what I wanted and could meet our budget. We ended up exceeding it due to additions along the way.

How much have you invested with DA-14?

The cost of their work has been between €20,000 and €25,000 [$22,840 and $28,550].

We started working with DA-14 in February 2017, and our collaboration is ongoing.

We started with an €8,000 [$9,130] budget, but the relationship expanded to 3-times more, which reflects how pleased I’ve been with their work. If not, I would have changed our partner. I knew that we would have to adapt and add on many features of the website and selected DA-14 because I felt they would do it in a fair way. DA-14’s work has been quite clean. More importantly, they react quickly whenever we have any issues or bugs. We can send them a notification and have the issue corrected within a day.

Our clients have been pleased with the design. They mainly have old-fashioned software internally, so they’ve appreciated our web app’s integration.

How did DA-14 perform from a project management standpoint?

We’re constantly improving designs, which would have been a problem with most companies, but DA-14 was well-organized. Their project manager considered every request and tracked the work hours. We have frequent exchanges and could request a call for any issue. The project management was very convenient for us, letting us focus on tasks beyond their hours. It would’ve been difficult for me to estimate the scope of the project due to the many changes we’re making. Every line was justified on DA-14’s side.

What did you find most impressive about DA-14?

I’ve appreciated their follow-up and responsiveness to all the change requests. Everything was clear, and I cannot complain about cost increases since DA-14 explained each item. They adapt well and expedite work with no problems.

Are there any areas DA-14 could improve?

Based on the work so far, I have no negative comments.

I added items during the project, so it was difficult for DA-14 to match the initial deadline. Whenever we gave them a priority, they ensured a fast turnaround.
    They know what they should earn, and the cost is not excessive. Each new feature was quoted correctly.
    I’m happy with everything they’ve given us.

Web App Dev for Retail Management Reviews Platform

"Their communication was very good, and the skill level of the people within their company was high."

May 2014 - Aug. 2016

DA-14 Software Development supplemented the internal IT team by providing full-stack services, building dashboard components and visual design elements, and improving data monitoring capabilities.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Co-Founder, SaaS Reviews Platform

The mobile-optimized SaaS product currently supports multiple clients, contributing to improved revenue and a stronger business presence. DA-14’s responsiveness, high-quality deliverables, and competitive price point helped the partnership succeed.

I’m a co-founder and CTO of a platform for large-scale retailers to organize, manage, monitor, and promote reviews from the public. It’s a SaaS [software-as-a-service] platform for marketers to log into and enter all the locations of their business. The system starts to monitor them and indicates when reviews are happening. There’s also a secondary function that puts opportunities for reviews in front of your customers by scanning a receipt and leaving feedback, texting a review, or responding to an email asking about a recent retail visit.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14 Software Development?

We had a good lead developer, but we needed to scale the team to build a complex management and backend process platform for our product. We originally engaged DA-14 for some specific development tasks on the dashboard part of our product. As we worked with them, we realized they could be helpful to us in many ways. Later, we asked them to build both backend processes and the web interface that our clients see when they log into the platform.

The platform is all web, but there’s a mobile view and a desktop view. There isn’t an app as such; it’s just a mobile-optimized website. DA-14 did both frontend and backend development. The design is fairly light, but they did provide some of the visual design. Predominantly, the work they did was frontend web app development, as well as the backend of that system. We monitor for reviews and contact a lot of APIs and services to bring data to our platform. DA-14 built a lot of that process as well.

The platform existed when DA-14 came onboard, but it’s evolved while we’ve been working with them. Our lead developer had gotten us to an MVP. Through the resulting investment, we were able to build that in a much wider viewpoint.

It’s a web app, so it’s not a marketing website showing content. The app manages the configuration, reporting, and data that our clients hold on the properties they’re monitoring for reviews and running campaigns. The app is built on PHP, and the backend database is on MongoDB. We have a bunch of queue management systems that organize the processes happening behind the scenes, and they also integrated those.

Right now, we’re not working with DA-14 on the platform. They’ve moved to a Node-based approach since that’s their specialty. Since our original build is in PHP, we’re currently working independently. That doesn’t detract from the job they did at the time. My main contact there is Dmitriy, the CEO. Within his group, we had a project manager named Alexander and up to 3 developers.

How did you come to work with DA-14 Software Development?

We found them through Upwork, formerly Elance. We had a specific requirement for developers with experience building data display dashboards, and I found them when looking for people with that specialization. We did 2 or 3 projects with them on the data readout for our clients. From there, we realized we could use them more widely.

How much have you invested with DA-14 Software Development?

We spent around $4,000 a month over 2 years, so well over $50,000.

We began working with them in May of 2014, and our engagement ended in August of 2016.

They built the platform that we’re continuing to use and sell. When we engaged them, we were pre-revenue, and they helped to build the platform our clients are now using.

We used them in a broad Scrum organization, where we were sort of the product owner. Their team augmented our development team, so it was a hybrid model. We didn't have a stand-alone project that we outsourced to them. They worked alongside our developers, with our project manager, and with me as the architectural oversight.

What did you find most impressive about DA-14 Software Development?

I have experience with outsourced projects in many countries and with different providers. DA-14’s specialization in web applications was important for us. They understand the architecture of the SaaS platforms that we were building, and their developers were already attuned to that need. Their communication was very good, and the skill level of the people within their company was high. I was happy to have them as part of the team. Financially, it was a pretty good deal for an American company. They were cost-effective, but I didn’t feel that we lost any quality.

Are there any areas DA-14 Software Development could improve?

There’s not much I’d point out. In fact, I probably will use them again with another project in the future if it’s a good match for them. In general, they were very responsive, and we got a good level of work from them. I enjoyed the partnership.

Overall Score The project went very well. They’ve since decided to change their development focus, and they handled the transition admirably.
    We used a Scrum approach and reached deadlines iteratively. They made sure people were available, estimated their time well, and were always transparent. They did everything we needed.
    I’m not looking for the cheapest job. I’m wanted to get a launched product, and they absolutely helped us deliver that.
    Their work was very good. I can’t think of any issues.

Frontend App Development for Beauty Platform

"I appreciate their flexibility in working with our needs and their ability to understand our concerns."

Mar. 2017 - Ongoing

DA-14 Software Development supplements the internal IT team with a single engineering resource, who provides frontend support using React Native technology on web, iOS, and Android platforms.

New York City, New York
CTO, Beauty Platform

The app has attracted increased revenue and user numbers, thanks to the integrated team’s effective management of pull requests and rapid completion timing. DA-14 Software Development’s meticulous resource selection process, openness to suggestions, and attractive price point continue to impress.

I’m the CTO of the fastest growing beauty tech platform. We provide the back office for a number of independent beauty professionals by managing everything from payments, scheduling, CRM [customer relationship management], reporting, and building a web presence. It’s like a business in a box.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14 Software Development?

We are based in New York City, and hiring good talent as a startup is challenging in this area, specifically technical engineering talent. Engineers who command a really high salary are not interested in equity for the most part. Turnover for engineers is really high at most startups as well. We wanted somebody senior who could start building a team of engineers without making us deal with the baggage of the New York hiring market.

We had the platform already built by the time an engineer from DA-14 joined. We just needed to start moving faster on additional features, functionalities, and bug fixes. This engineer is very experienced in the new technology that we wanted. We were really happy to find somebody with React Native experience, which is a mobile technology built by Facebook. It’s the future of mobile development. Our platform is built for iOS, Android, and web. The developer from DA-14 is working on the frontend.

How did you come to work with DA-14 Software Development?

They came as a recommendation through other CTOs I know. In general, I’ve always been a little bit wary of offshoring or outsourcing talent. I’ve had many experiences in the past where it didn’t work well. It takes a very specific type of person and company to make it work. We’ve engaged DA-14 on a longer-term model, which is working really well. They offered us a trial period at the onset. We could get the engineer into our code base and see if he was going to pick things up quickly, which he did. Then, we started a full annual contract with them.

How much have you invested with DA-14 Software Development?

We’ve spent between $20,000 and $30,000 so far.

We started working with DA-14 in March of 2017, and the project is ongoing indefinitely. They are essentially our engineering team. We have weekly stand-ups with them, along with the rest of our team. They will be around as long as our company is around.

The app has been launched, and we have users. We also have some major partners for the launch, which are some of the nation’s largest companies in the beauty industry. It’s difficult to attribute metrics specifically to DA-14 because we use many developers. We’ve had increases in revenue and users, which should also be attributed to our marketing team. When I think about metrics for engineering, I notice pull requests and completion timing on tasks. They’ve been doing really well in those areas.

I’ve actually asked them to step away from management. I’m a developer myself, and I like to manage the sprints. Our DA-14 engineer is working in conjunction with other developers on our team as well. I don’t want a project manager to get in the way.

What did you find most impressive about DA-14 Software Development?

I appreciate their flexibility in working with our needs and their ability to understand our concerns. About 95% of outsourced developers are not going to be a good fit for most companies. The fact that they were able to work with us right from the onset was impressive. Before we started development, we had an hour-long conversation with DA-14 where they dove into everything we wanted—the skill set, the type of person, and everything else. Initially, they spent a lot of time making sure we had the right person, but other development shops will just throw you the first open developer they have on staff.

From a pricing perspective, they’re very reasonable. They have an onshore person as well, who I can reach at any point, but that doesn’t inflate the cost. They are obviously making a margin off of this, but, given what I’ve seen in the market, it is a lot less than other shops.

The talent that they’ve pulled is really specific to our needs. In general, they’re a young company, so I think they are still learning how to build their model. They are very open to suggestions and feedback. We had a few billing issues with them because their finance department is a bit unsophisticated, but they are always willing to listen and pivot.

Are there any areas DA-14 Software Development could improve?

Their billing process is unwieldy, which makes payments complicated. They have an Estonian bank account with a lot of intermediary banks. Setting that up is not easy. We had to go to our bank and change our bank account type to be able to do unlimited international wires.

We offer everybody on our team perks like free food, and I was trying to enable that for our developers as well. It just wasn’t easy because their accounting is not up to par. Setting up something like that was difficult. Now, I pay the developer directly for the perks, rather than going through the company. That’s a really minor point that most people probably don’t care about.

Also, the turnaround time for getting a new developer is not as fast as we’d like, probably due to their size. Our other development shop can bring on resources at weeks’ notice. With DA-14, we’d probably need about a month of lead time to be able to roll on a developer.

I want to stress that they are not the type of shop that works on a contract basis and then is done. In that case, a month of lead time would not be acceptable. They help us augment our staff. I’m hiring somebody to be a part of the team for the foreseeable future. That’s why a month of lead time isn’t a big deal because we’d spend that long hiring an engineer anyway in New York.

They do miss deadlines from time to time, but if certain deadlines must be met, they’ll do it.
    It’s hard to beat DA-14 on cost. You just don’t get the same quality at a lot of other shops.
    There’s obviously some room for improvement, but I’m very happy with the developer.

Developer Recruitment for Education Sector Startup

"With DA-14, we can hire people and develop our culture on our own terms."

Jan. 2016 - Ongoing

DA-14 Software Development works to onboard JavaScript content developers for the client, who uses the personnel for various web and app-based projects.

Stockholm, Sweden
Fabrice Marchal
CTO, Invigos

The freelancers that DA-14 Software Development recruits are skilled and cooperative, allowing for the client to create their own culture and method of development.

We are a startup in the education sector. I’m the CTO.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14 Software Development?

Our developers are remote, so we were looking for good developers that we could hire for the long run.

As a company, it’s pretty limited. DA-14 Software Development puts their developers on Upwork where their reputation is evaluated as their individuals earn projects, complete them, get credits, and are reviewed. DA-14 is pretty much invisible in the process. But unlike most agencies I have worked with, they try to be a lot more visible to help customers find human resources.

We have started using DA-14 more like an agency where we turn to them to provide us with good developers. They provide us with JavaScript content developers who develop websites. In our case, it’s a rich, single page application. We try to invest a lot in the people for the long run. We turn to DA-14, as we would turn to a normal agency when we need that bandwidth of personnel.

How did you come to work with DA-14 Software Development?

When we were looking for people on Upwork, we found one of their developer’s profiles. We ran an interview and then offered a contract.

How much have you invested with DA-14 Software Development?

We paid them $25 per hour equaling a total of $50,000 over a year.

We started working with them January 2016. We have worked with one of their developers full-time since February 2016 and now with two developers since December 2016.

We evaluate the developers individually and discuss with them regularly to adjust how we are working. We are looking for people who are highly autonomous, and DA-14 has been really good at trying to understand our needs and suggest the right people. They work in difficult conditions and still have been very good at listening, keeping up with the trends, and suggesting directions for finding easier ways to recruit people. They really try to align their strategy with the needs of their customers.

They don’t really do that for us because we do most of the project management. We manage their people as if they are a part of our own organization.

What did you most impressive about DA-14 Software Development?

We don’t usually work with agencies because we haven’t had good experiences, but they are a small agency that has been able to provide us with really good freelancers. With DA-14, we can hire people and develop our culture on our own terms. I feel very much that the developers are our own, although they are working first for DA-14 and then for us.

Are there any areas DA-14 Software Development could improve?

They could have done a better job at communicating changes in their organization. Sometimes, they have problems that they communicate too late. It was sometimes difficult to know who was talking to whom. They were still willing to help, but I think they were not proactive enough.

Overall Score I really like working with them overall, but they can improve.
    They reacted quickly to our requests.
    They are not particularly cheap nor extremely expensive. Because they are freelancers, we feel that there is a big overhead in the agency. If it were somebody working on their own in the same region, then the cost would be cheaper.
    We are quite happy with them.

Website Development for Online Booking Service

"We’re happy with the way we work with them. They’re proactive, and their quality of code is good."

Sept. 2015 - Ongoing

DA-14 developed a website that is supported by data from an iOS app, allowing its users to send invoices and for consumers to make bookings.

Bruce Greig
Co-Founder, Fixington

The team members at DA-14 dedicated to this project were proactive in implementing their coding skills to develop a website that serves the business need.

I’m one of the co-founders of Fixington, which is an online booking service for tradesmen such as plumbers, electricians, etc.

What challenge were you trying to address with DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?

We hired DA-14 to build our booking service and marketing website.

Most of the project focused on developing our website. We have an iOS app for tradesmen, which they use as a calendar and an invoicing tool. All the data that is stored in the app is backed up, which supports a web front-end. On the web version, the tradesmen can log in and see the jobs they have scheduled and send out invoices. There’s also a consumer front-end for householders to make bookings, which go into the calendar of the tradesmen that they’re booking.

How did you come to work with DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?

We hunted on the internet for outsource development agencies we could use, and we selected DA-14 from a shortlist of companies. We did simple interviews with candidate companies to ask them about their experience, what kind of projects they’ve worked on, and how they work with clients. We chose DA-14 at the end of that process.

How much have you invested with DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?

We invest roughly $5,000 a month with DA-14.

We started working together around September 2015, and the project is ongoing.

There are three guys from DA-14 who work on this project: a backend developer, a front-end developer, and a software tester. They’re really good, and we’re happy with them. We use Trello to manage and reorganize the priorities of a backlog of tasks.

What did you find most impressive about DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT?

Are there any areas DA-14 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT could improve?

I’m not aware of anything they could improve.

It’s a very good value for money compared to the rest of Europe, the UK or the US. However, we also have a developer in the Far East who is even less expensive than DA-14, so I guess I can't give them five out of five.
    I'm always reluctant to give anybody five out of five because I feel like you can always do something better.