Design Thinking Led Digital Transformation

Founded in 2013, with a vision to bring Design thinking to India and enable businesses innovate with cloud / edge technology.

We’re a team of 50 consultants, specializing in “design thinking led digitization” practice. Codewave has successfully executed over 250 digitization projects, ​specializing in new product development​ serving businesses in over 15 countries. Codewave is a also a winner of the Red Herring Top 100 Asia Award for technology in 2015. Industry Collaborations: Amazon (AWS Partner), Google Cloud Partners, Multichain (Blockchain partner), Perfios (Official Integration partner), Zomato (Official Integration partner).

Bangalore, India
  • 307, Outer ring road, Banashankari
    Bangalore, KA 560085
  • The Residency 133/1 Residency Road Opposite Bishop Cotton Boys’ School
    Bangalore, KA 560025

3M, Microsoft, VMWare, Cisco, Zomato, Jaro Education, Haldirams, Cloudnine, MGM Healthcare, Mac World, Bharath Light and Power, BlueStar, Indian Institute of Science, Ashok Leyland, Prestige Group, Puravankara (Provident housing), Byju Classes, Painapp, and others

Lawyers Marketplace where consumers can easily find lawyers, collaborate with them online & resolve disputes | #VirtualLawFirm #LawyersMarketplace  Image

Codewave designed and developed Lawmatters.com, with lawyer listing, jobs forum and the virtual office for the phase 1 launch. This being our first project for the legal industry, we did multiple visits to law firms understand the behaviors of lawyers, paralegals and pain points that most law firms are facing today. One of the insights we gained was to enable “voice recording and sending” feature, as typing and drafting were

one of the most common activities outside the court. After multiple scope iterations, we nailed on the initial feature set and executed the phase 1 of the project in about 4 months time. The web app is live, the android app is expected to go live by the end of next month. We crawled data from Government websites, to get the list of registered lawyers on the platform initially, so professionals signing up on the platform can claim their profiles.

Read full case study

Read more app design and development case studies

Alexis (Siri for Travel) - AI based travel startup | #NLP #Multi-language #Artificial Intelligence Image

Codewave designed and developed the Alexis android app in about 12 weeks, enabling both text and voice recognition in the first cut. The app currently works for couple of languages – english and hindi (supporting various accents). The phase 1 development of this app involved integration with Google’s Voice API and training the AI engine to respond to popular keywords and phrases. When you say “mujhe dilli jana hai”, the app

suggests flights, hotels and travel guides in Delhi. When you says “mujhe dilli mein hotel chahiye”, the app proactively asks few questions like – luxury level, duration of stay and suggests hotels. The app in the next phase will be integrated with OTAs and travel suppliers to enable bookings. There is also a roadmap for ongoing NLP (Natural Language Processing) development to further train the AI engine. Read more about Alexis   Read more app design and development case studies
IoT to save electricity built on Python, Django | #InternetOfThings #OptimizationInsights #ActionableEnergyData #Python #Django Image

Codewave designed and developed the clytics app for web and android, end to end from processing raw data from the appliances to interpreting data into actionable insights and showing data visualizations on the screen. The app had role based login for retail outlet admin who had outlet level insights and the business owner who had city level insights. The app also showed a leaderboard of all branches in the city.

Clytics

team also had an admin app to onboard new outlets, add users and assign permissions. Data processing programs that required high computations to retrieve real-time data from appliances, process them into insights were built on Python. The app was architected for scale using DJango, to be able to handle high volumes of data every minute.

Read more app design and development case studies

Energy intelligence apps, bringing real time monitoring and actionable data on to web and mobile to improve generation | #EnergyIntelligence #AngularJS #IoT Image

Codewave proposed to design and develop BLP’s product “Orion”, a suite of web apps designed for real time monitoring needs, actionable insights presented with rich visuals, simplified user experience, keeping mobility in perspective, for the first phase of the product. We started with understanding various users and user profiles to create role based experiences on the app. For example, for the CEO we gave a global view, with

energy & revenue numbers and insights & conclusions at a global level. For a field engineer, we gave a farm level view with easy access to asset level details and defects associated with it. The app is built on AngularJS, so dynamic data appears on the screen without having to refresh the page. We are also designing a workflow tool which helps field technicians, office staff and regional managers to interact with others in the organization to act on issues faster and improve overall efficiency. The web app is completely responsive and can be used on mobile phones as well. In addition to this, we also did a quick app for smartphones with a web view of the app so users can start experiencing the solution on their phones and share feedback for further evolving the product.

Read more app design and development case studies

Making Insurance Agents smarter with access to latest product information and tools on their phones #InsuranceEducation #CloudSync #MongoDB #NodeJS Image

Codewave designed and developed an android app in 6 weeks, as Agents needed to be quickly equipped with simple, mobile friendly tools, to be able to sell insurance products better. We also built a customized admin app, for the company to be able to push updated content, notifications and control access to tools, agents would see on the app. We aligned the total project effort, to meet their 6 week go-to-market goal, enabling

about 10k installs within the first 10 weeks of launch. The app also lets agents stay in touch with their prospects and customers, by sending personalized greetings via whatsapp, email and other social media channels. The app currently on Play Store has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5, from about 10k active users.

Read more about the project

Check the android app on playstore

Read more case studies

Making baby warmers incubate smarter, making doctors pro-active with BLE | Healthcare app Image

Codewave designed and developed the bluetooth solution for the baby warmers, which enabled the warmer to seamlessly send baby’s health data to the cloud using bluetooth integration (BLE) and convert the data into actionable insights for the doctor and nurse assigned to the ward. The doctor and nurse also had an interface where they could monitor the health of babies wrapped in the warmer and easily understand which baby needs

most attention now. All this was implemented without any dependency on internet (wifi) using NFC and Bluetooth low energy.

The project required deep integration with the hardware (sensors) attached to the warmer, decoding of the sensor data, building security protocols and handshakes and translation into meaningful insights for the doctors who are taking rounds and for nurses who are supervising the ward all round the clock. Our engineers worked with the hardware team to make sure the data was being seamlessly streamed through all gates on the assembly line, from the warmer to the router app and to the cloud and then to downstream apps that were consuming that data.

Read more app design and development case studies

Enterprise app for powerful data visualizations and decision support, built on AngularJS and D3JS #Data Visualization #Analytics #D3JS #MVP Image

Codewave was assigned the task of designing and developing the app. We started with understanding in depth the product itself, it purpose and capabilities, pen profiles of the end customer through discussions with the product team at Enquero. Subsequently we created paper wireframes for each screen of the app, to visually illustrate our understanding of the screens, data representation, user interaction, flow and navigation

before getting to visual design details. The key challenge in design was in representing entities that are not directly related to each other yet having some sort of an association.

Internal Android Apps for Home Painting Company

"They truly understood our vision and were transparent throughout the project."

June - Sept. 2018

Codewave Technologies helped develop several apps. The products were built for Android devices and were interconnected for backend use. The team partook in the design stages of the project, as well.

Bangalore, India
Dhivya Raghavan
Co-Founder, AapkaPainter

The apps were completed according to all requirements and successfully launched. The deliverables were produced on time and as expected. The Codewave Technologies team provided a robust, stable team for development. Their clear communication and efficiency were hallmarks of the engagement.

I’m the co-founder of AapkaPainter, an online creative marketplace for home painting and related services.

What challenge were you trying to address with Codewave Technologies?

We hired Codewave Technologies to help develop a few interconnected Android apps for internal use.

Codewave Technologies developed the various, connected Android apps. They worked with our in-house design team throughout the process. Additionally, they implemented a few changes to our CRM during development. We’re able to use the apps for our backend needs now that they are launched.

They dedicated one account manager to handle communication between teams. Codewave Technologies also provided several mobile app developers, PHP developers, and a designer.

How did you come to work with Codewave Technologies?

We found the large, stable team to be appealing, and we felt they’d deliver everything on time.

We worked together from June–September 2017.

The apps were completed very efficiently. We had a seamless, quick process with Codewave Technologies.

How did Codewave Technologies perform from a project management standpoint?

All of our requirements were fulfilled and everything was clearly communicated with us. Codewave Technologies provided consistent documentation and briefings. They used a project management tool and could have 4–5 meetings per day if necessary.

They truly understood our vision and were transparent throughout the project. They designed and delivered final products that matched our needs.

Final delivery of theirs is as desired and in fact better. There is nothing much I would suggest them for improvement. They know their domain very well.

Clearly communicate your needs, timeframe, and budget and give them enough space and time to work on your app.

They will develop a strong product for you. They are committed to on-time delivery and error-free handover, so even if there are any minor unprecedented lapse, it doesn't affect your schedule much.

Overall Score We had a good engagement.
    Though there were a few delays, it didn’t affect us very much.
    Though not the least expensive option, it was worth it.
    I’ve recommended them to a couple of people.

Cloud Integrated Product Ecosystem Built for B2B Startup

"I took the risk and went with them, and at the end of the day, I got more than I expected from them."

Mar. 2016 - Mar. 2017

Codewave developed a cloud system integrating several standalone time-tracking apps [iOS/Android]. A corresponding web interface was also built enabling master admin capabilities.

Zürich, Switzerland
Founder, B2B Startup

Codewave is sincere and promise-driven. Project communication was seamless under pressure. The contributions made by the delivery team resulted in product enhancements well outside the original scope.

I’m the founder of the startup Staff Times in Switzerland. I have a business degree in insurance, so I'm not an IT expert, but I’ve worked on a lot of IT projects on behalf of the business as a subject matter expert. I know what it’s like to do project management and deal with deadlines and deliverables, so I took all of that experience and wrapped it up in my own outfit and launched a startup. We focus on mobile time-tracking, targeting countries and industries requiring their workforce to track their working hours by law, or facilitating the reporting of working hours and tasks by employees.

What challenge were you trying to address with Codewave?

In Western Europe, there are a lot of laws requiring people to report their weekly working hours, and even small businesses have to maintain a time-tracking system for their employees, so my company offers time-tracking services for businesses. The core of my services was built by Codewave. I basically had a couple of apps that were run in isolated ways in the app stores, and I wanted to combine those and put them in the cloud. Hurdles included ensuring data integrity when transferring the data to a new mobile device and handling offline mode, as well as pushing data from the administrator's account to the mobile device. This required complex interactions between the cloud and the apps—I needed to hire somebody who had that expertise.

During the first two months of the design phase, I worked with Codewave to establish what the website would look like and what features it would have. That gave us a vague idea of what I wanted. I knew that I wanted the standalone apps to interact with the cloud and to have a central master account that would let people track their time on their devices. As the owner, I also needed to have special access rights so I could modify the metadata on the website. In addition, the user subscriptions and payments process needed to be designed and implemented to accomodate an SaaS model. The Codewave team seemed to understand what I wanted and had everything mapped out pretty well.

During the detailed design phase, we had other questions, such as, how about a payment system? How are people going to pay? Are we doing a subscription? Do I want a blog? Do I want an FAQ? We fleshed out all of those details, which I hadn't really thought of before. Often, developers want to know what you want from top to bottom, and they want to map out everything in the first few weeks or month. When working with Codewave, we kind of had an incremental model. They started to work on the core functionality, and then we added on things like subscriptions, the admin area, the FAQ. All of those things came about in an incremental way, and I liked that approach. I needed time to explore ideas and get my head around them, and then I could confirm priorities, clarify requirements, request refinements, and essentially sign off on each deliverable. I learned as I went along, because I had never done something like this before, and it felt like Codewave was really trying to help me. They wanted this to work. They gave me ideas and a rough design, and then I started to explore that and give them more detail.

How did you come to work with Codewave?

There are always challenges when you work with other cultures and across borders—time zones, accents, etc. But my previous job had me building an offshore center in India for about 10 years, so I was familiar with the service-oriented culture there, and I had established a lot of contacts in the area. Therefore, I felt comfortable going to the Indian-Bangalore marketplace for services.

Switzerland has comparable services, but I had to consider the expense. As a startup, I have to be cost-conscious, because I have a limited budget. So when I was in Bangalore on a business trip, I Googled and found several companies, including Codewave. I had a good interview with Abhijith, the owner. They themselves are a startup, having been around for about 3 years. It felt to me like he cared about my problem and wanted to help. There’s always a risk that you come up with the wrong partner. I didn't know Codewave and Abhijith at the outset, but I liked their responses during my interview with them. I took the risk and went with them, and at the end of the day, I got more than I expected from them.

The project took a bit longer than we expected. We originally planned for about 6 or 7 months of development time.

How did Codewave perform from a project management standpoint?

I left it up to Abhijith and his project manager to organize the team at Codewave. They did have a staff change about 6 months into the project, which added a little bit of time to everything. I was worried, because we were already kind of delayed, but that was more because I wasn't ready for the detailed work. They worked hard to get a good replacement, and I think they managed it quite well.

I’m able to communicate with everyone on the Codewave team, because they’re such a small outfit. (They have only about 40 staff members, though they seem to be growing.) I don't have to go through layers of management to speak with the team members, and I have access to all of the programmers. Abhijith knows the overall plan for my project, and he has brought in some cool ideas. His wife is kind of the staff manager, and she’s also good at marketing. She gave me some ideas about how to use social media to promote my product.

Every second or third day, I would ping one of the programmers through Skype, and we built a little group. I would ask them questions there, and one of the programmers would reply and I would do a one-on-one with that programmer. I appreciated having access to all of these experts, and I think they liked it too. They weren’t used to talking directly to the customer. The web programmer, the Android programmer, the iOS programmer, and the architect were basically my main contacts during the development. Whenever we went into the next phase, I would do more with the project manager, and we would map out the next incremental piece that would get added on and get estimates for that.

We mostly used Google Drive for shared documents, including an Excel spreadsheet to track issues. They would fix an issue, then I would test it and sign off on it. We also used Skype almost every day.

What did you find most impressive about Codewave?

I liked being able to contact all of the programmers directly. I didn't have to go through the managers, which you have to do in a lot of companies. I thought that was cool, and they liked it as well. I think we developed a close relationship through their openness, and that was a unique experience from what I’ve seen so far. I think Codewave’s approach resulted in a more successful product. They also came up with ideas, and they would propose options that I hadn't thought of, and I liked that. I wanted their ideas, and I was open to hearing them.

Are there any areas Codewave could improve?

The staff change was a bit of a difficult phase, because I didn't want to lose any more time, but I think these things happen. You have fluctuations, and that was a bit challenging. Other than that, it’s hard to say what Codewave could be doing better.

Although the full project time was 10 months, which was considerably longer than projected at the outset, I appreciated the high complexity, the need to explore alternatives to overcome challenges, and the ability to steer the priorities. The team responded in a very agile way. The resulting quality is superb and exactly if not more than I originally expected.

What tips or recommendations could you share that might increase the likelihood of success with Codewave?

You have to be open to different cultures, and you have to be prepared to have discussions and spend more time talking, because you can only communicate so much in writing. You cannot just hand over a job and expect it to get done. You need to be prepared to get regular, weekly updates and be able to take an hour or two a week to talk to the team. You also need to clear up misunderstandings, assumptions, jargon, and unclear terms, so you’ll want to use Skype to talk to and build a relationship with them. I think the Codewave team is sincere, and they love talking to people in the West.

Overall Score Nobody’s perfect, so 4.5 is good. I’m going to continue working with Codewave, that’s for sure.
    Regular communication reduced the slippages. There was staff leaving.
    We agreed on an estimated amount, and Codewave kept to those parameters. If something turned out to be more complex than we thought, we would clearly carve it out as a separate item. There weren’t any surprises.
    Being able to test deliverables, clarify requirements, and set priorities every step of the way was great.

App Development for Online Tourism Platform

"Codewave was exceptional when it came to project management."

Feb. - Sept. 2015

Codewave quickly developed the client's mobile app, which includes location tracking, ratings, booking history, social media login and sharing functionalities.

British Columbia, Canada
Co-Founder, Online Tourism Platform

Users were very impressed with the app developed by Codewave, helping the client to secure more referrals. The client particularly praised Codewave's project management, transparency, and adherence to timelines.

I am the co-founder of an online on-demand tourism platform allowing travelers to schedule customized trips with local tour guides in real time. I am responsible for all aspects of the business including product development, marketing, operations, and finance.

What challenge were you trying to address with Codewave?

We needed to build the first version of the app and were looking for qualified service providers who could help us with this. We also wanted to gain the first mover advantage and hence were looking for a quick turnaround time without a compromise on quality.

We needed to develop mobile apps on the iOS and Android platforms and have them include the following modules/functionalities: location tracking, ratings, booking history, social media login and sharing.

How did you come to work with Codewave?

We had initially awarded this project to another vendor, but they were taking forever to get even the simple tasks completed. We were looking to find another vendor who could take over, and that's when we came across Codewave. Based on their portfolio and a few meetings, we could shortlist that they were the right team to lead this project on the product development.

How much have you invested with Codewave?

I have invested approximately $30,000 with Codewave for this project.

We have completed version 1; since we need constant monitoring and updates to the system, I have set up my team to handle the development and maintenance of the product. The project duration was February 2015 to September 2015. Currently, we have plans to collaborate on other projects in the future.

Our users were highly impressed with the functionality of the app, and it led to us getting many referrals.

How did Codewave perform from a project management standpoint?

Codewave was exceptional when it came to project management. We were constantly updated on the progress via Podio; if there were areas that needed to be addressed, they would get it done and turn it around very quickly. The transparency throughout the project life cycle helped us stay on track.

What did you find most impressive about Codewave?

I appreciated Codewave's adherence to the project timeline and the quality of the final product.

Are there any areas Codewave could improve?

Nothing comes to mind in this regard; we were pleased with the outcome of the project.

Do you have any advice or recommendations for other prospective clients that are considering working with Codewave?

Have a look at the work that they have done, and meet the team in person/via video conference; I'm sure you will find the confidence to go ahead and work with the team.

Overall Score From meetings to the product development to the project management, we as clients have no complaints.
    The project was delivered on time as was planned initially.
    They provide value for money but slightly on the higher side, which I was OK to shell out for the quality development provided.
    They delivered exactly what we had in mind, and the apps were appreciated by many end users.
    I have already recommended Codewave to a few of my friends and would continue recommending them purely for the quality and on-time delivery.